Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPA
No picture.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Simcoe IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,109 | Reviews: 1,352

Appearance is gorgeous. Pours a ruby color that's slightly cloudy. Big fluffy head. Powerful aroma of the hops but it's balanced well with a true maltiness.

Tastes sweet and slightly bitter. Truly well balanced. Almost a crunchy taste like mixed nuts and pine. Paints a picture of enjoying pesto and bread in a botanical garden.

Finishes sweet, smooth, and bitter.

A double IPA? Heck yeah, sign me up! I LOVE a good IPA. As a matter of fact, we like IPAs so much that when we did our first home brew, we made an IPA. You want to know how I knew it turned out okay? The beer smelled like an IPA… and tasted like an IPA. So our first batch was a success! The more I get into this style, the more I learn about the hops that are used to make them. Apparently Simcoe are some of the best. Plus, this beer promised extreme bitterness, and I like my beer bitter.

Boy does this beer smell like an IPA. I just love that smell. And boy, do I love that taste! It starts out smooth on the palate, and as it moves to the back of your mouth gets more and more bitter. The more bitter it gets, the better the beer becomes. Then after you swallow, the bitterness sticks around and slowly dissipates as time goes by. The aftertaste actually lasts for a few minutes, rather than a few seconds like most beers we try.

This beer is an obvious IPA, from the nose to the flavors on your tongue. But with an extremely high ABV (high, relatively speaking) someone that likes an IPA, like myself, could get into a LOT of trouble with a beer like this. It’s incredible in every sense of the word. From the smell to the taste, I LOVE this beer.

wooow! this beer is awesome!

first off the appearance of this beer is amazing...a dark amber unfiltered cloudy appearance makes this my favorite to date. the head is nice a thick and stays that way for a period of time.

taste is exceptional! probably my favorite Double IPA as of now (and Hop Stoopid was hard to beat)

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

I finally got to try this one. It poured a clear copper color with off-white head. It smelled very strongly of pine and copper hops, but not much else. Its flavor was a tantalizing blend of orange citrus, pine, and copper hops, all mixed together with a some malt for a bit of balance. It was thick with some carbonation, and it had a very strong, very bitter, lasting aftertaste. Overall this was one of the best double IPAs ever...super hoppy and delicious.

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Pours a cloudy honey color that is dark in the middle, and brighter along the sides of the glass when held up to the light. Huge initial off-white head that settles to a nice cap, and leaves tons of sticky lace on the glass.

Huge hoppy aroma. Both pine and citrus are present. First the spicy pine aroma hit, fading toward citrus. Lots of lemon and even fresh squeezed orange juice. Pineapple and tropical fruit round this out. Absolutely mouthwatering.

So hoppy, but not harsh at all. Similar to the aroma. Juicy with loads of citrus - lemon peel, grapefruit, and tangerine. Pineapple is thrown in as well. After the fruit pine comes in, adding a sweet and spicy sap bomb. Carmel sweetness and toasted malt peeks out from all the hop flavors towards the end. This beer is big and resinous, and the alcohol only shows up as a lingering warm feeling.

Medium to full in body - incredibly smooth, thick, and slightly sticky. Finishes dry with hop resins lingering in the throat. Very refreshing and oh so drinkable.

This beer is addicting. Great hop complexity, not just an all out assault of bitterness. This is my favorite Double IPA. Incredible beer.

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

This Mega-IPA is not for the Faint of Heart!
It is a robust, delightful assault on the senses.
If you like un-balanced American IPAs, then you will love Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA.

Quality is high, as to be expected for any beer from Weyerbacher.
Nice pour, lacy head with good retension.

Citrusy/pine nose typical of the proprietary hop variety used(Simcoe); Cascade like, yet unique.

A. color is a hue somewhere between amber and copper.
Clarity; I'm not one to put a great deal of value in clarity; unless the brew is a muddy or murky stew. This beers clarity is true to style. After all, if you want a crystal clear beer, Budweiser pumps out hundreds of barrels of the stuff per day.

T. the taste of this beer is outstanding. The citrus (grapefruit) dominates with the malt and alchol bringing things reasonably in balance. Of course, bitterness wins the battle; but a true hophead wouldn't have it any other way.

If you dig IPAs--buy this one!

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

Very attractive beer when poured. Copper in color with brilliant clarity and a head of foam that's thick,creamy, and rocky in appearance. Lace that sticks to the sides of the glass from beginning to end. A very refreshing look. Taste and aroma using only one type of hop,Simcoe, has everything you would want in an IPA. Piney aroma,some floral and citrus notes in the nose also. Goes down very smooth. An oily slick feeling on the palate with piney notes up front and intense grapefruit lingers into the finish. Sweet carmel malt does show up but hops stay ahead throughout but are not overpowering. Very balanced for a double IPA. The last sip you take carries some of the residual hops that settle to the bottom of the glass which takes all the characteristics mentioned above and amplifies it a couple of notches. Which to me isn't a bad thing at all.

Bravo! Weyerbacher

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

A: Golden orange. Lots of bubbles that settle in a very thick, creamy head. Very good retention and nice lacing left on the glass.

S: Incredible. A floral hop aroma is prominent, though soft, coupled with a reserved sweetness. Hints of apple or pear.

T: Moderately sweet with a smoothed bitterness. Slight alcohol/malt in the finish.

MF: Airy, with a little stickiness in the end.

D: Very smooth, highly drinkable. Alcohol is there and could make its presence known quickly, but very very enjoyable!

4.92/5  rDev +21.2%

$1.75 per bottle @ the brewery. Tried the sample on -tap and thought it was amazing. fresh 12 oz bottle poured into a large snifter.

Appearance: Nice two finger head. Thick foam with large bubbles. Red/brown glow beams form the snifter. Takes awhile to dissipate. No lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Amazing. This is the best smelling beer I have ever smelled. Roses, hyacinth, pine. Creamy and smoothe but you can almost taste the hop oils and floral bouquet that is very prominent. Reminds me of dried lavendar. Smells just as good as it did out of the tap.

Taste: Wham. Bittering hops are blasting my mouth. This beer tastes more complex than it should with only 1 variety of hops. Tastes piney and peppery. Bitterness pairs extremely well with the alcohol burn (which you can barely notice, btw). Leaves a great bittering finish at the back of my tongue and uvula. Still there. will probably linger for quite awhile.

Mouthfeel: Creamy at first. Still a lingering finish. Smoothe in the mouth and throat, finishing a pinchy, peppery bitterness.

Drinkability: Great. This is the best example of an IPA I have ever tasted. Amazingly masked 9.0% abv. Creamy & Bitter. Complex. Best nose for a beer of this style. I am thoroughly impressed by this beer and I hope it remains the same.

In addition, I thought that alot of Weyerbacher's beers are too sweet but this one is perfect in the sugar area. Very balanced and manageable. I could drink this all day if I could still think after doing so.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

22 oz bomber poured in a pint glass

A - hazy orange/amber color with a fluffy beige head that just kept rising out over the rim of the glass. The head had plenty of legs but eventually settled down leaving terrific sticky lace.

S - piney/citrus/passionfruit hoppy aroma, with a sweet malty background.

T - this is a wonderful beer, the use of their own hybrid 'simcoe hop(s)' give this beer a passionfruit/citrus flavor with perfect malt balance.

M - a tounge tingler, sort of like sticking a 9 volt battery on the tip of your tongue, fantastic mouthfeel.

D - 9%abv is just right for this beer, the alcohol is hidden in the wonderful taste, but will sneak up on you very fast if you're not careful.

Final Note: This beer is a great value and great tasting.

4.89/5  rDev +20.4%

Here's what happened to me: For years, I have been a big fan of Two Hearted, 60 Minute, and Commodore Perry. All fabulous and available in Toledo for about $1.50 per bottle. Every once in a while, I would spend more and get a 90 Minute, or even a Thomas Hardy or a 120 Minute.

But then I tried the Weyerbacher Simcoe from Pennsylvania. It's in the same league as Delaware's 90, a DIPA, but even better. The hoppy bitterness is amazing and it just stays there. No citrusy aftertaste a la Two Hearted, which is great by the way. Just smooth, lasting bitterness. Don't ever try to go back down after one or two of these. I made that mistake once and the Commodore Perry seemed like a Bud Light!

The only problem is the price. Now it's about $3 per bottle, same as the Bell's Hopslam, but probably a little better if that is possible. The Brothers really need to try this one, don't you think?

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Thanks to Melbatoast for the trade.

Wow was this pour perfect. Nice monster head, beautiful lacing and a body that was as attractive as Angelina Jolie's lips. It was not quite amber and not quite golden anymore.

Nose is big on pine and pineapple. It's almost like concentrated pineapple juice. The malt doesn't submit and tries to make it's presence known. We get a little caramel for it's efforts but honestly the hops definitely steal the show.

Taste starts with pine, morphs into pineapple and grapefruit and then smooths out with caramel. This is just amazing to me and absolutely perfect tastewise. The big 9% ABV is very nicely hidden.

Mouth is thick and creamy. I can just imagine how jealous other brewers will be of a mouthfeel like this. This is a fantastic IPA and easily one of the absolute best I have encountered. Weyerbacher be proud ... you done good.

4.87/5  rDev +20%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, translucent copper, thin creamy lace on top.

Nose: Sweet. Cotton candy, bubble gum, slight hint of citrus.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: Excellent taste, sweet (not quite cloying) just like the smell -- cotton candy and bubble gum -- balanced almost immediately by a nice deep bitterness that does not linger overlong. A great sweet-sour citrus afterthought is evident in the finish.

Viscous, syrupy, incredible hoppy goodness in a bottle. I will have to try to brew one like this.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

This was easily my favorite beer I enjoyed in North Carolina a couple of months ago.

Poured orange amber with 4+ fingers of cream colored head. Insane lacing & good head retention

S: Piney & grapefruitty hops, plus some nice biscuitty malt breaking through

T: Huge piney & grapefruitty hops up front. Breadyness, plus fruityness follows as this warms. I also pick up cakey notes & tangerine hops. Finishes with earthy hops, breadyness & a nice warmth

MF: Creamy, oily & low carbonation

Drinks super for the ABV, a hophead's delight. One of the best DIPAs I've had!

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

This is an absolutely EXCEPTIONAL beer! I bought a case blindly, and I am *very* glad I did. The last time I did a blind buy just by style and hype I got burned. This case has been one of the best possible treats!

Appearance: It pours from the bottle with a look that seems thick and smooth even as it pours, a golden ruby glowing beer. With a huge 3 finger head that is incredibly thick and creamy. The head has great retention and eventually fades to a frothy cap. There is constant activity with lots of carbonation bubbles rising and a gentle swirl will bring back a full-on head again. Truly magnificent! Heavy sheets of sticky lacing coat my pint glass.

Smell: The initial hit is sweet and enters the nose like an apple aroma that quickly turns to orange then fruit salad and by the time it computes in the brain it is a hardcore intense grapefruit aroma shouting 'notice me, damn it'. Then it settles into a very aromatically enticing beer with sweet caramel toasty malts, fruits, and of course bold citrus hop aromas so well blended they are hard to distinguish.

Taste: Creamy, malty and smooth up front. Then it peaks with a huge surge of pine and grapefruit hops and mellows again with buttery creamy smooth sweet toasty malts. This beer is so perfectly, brilliantly balanced it is easy to accept as very simple and straight forward yet on further inspection you will notice the remarkable depth it has; with tropical fruit flavors in the sweetness and so much more beneath the creamy malts. The finish is slick & easy and plenty sweet with a magnificent lingering bitterness. After two or three that aftertaste stuck with me for hours.

Mouthfeel: Solid strong body that stands up in the mouth. It is slick oily and thick through the center but wrapped with prickly hops that keep it feeling very active. A beer this sweet should not be overly carbonated and this one is perfect! It has enough carbonation to hold up the mouthfeel but not too much to impede the easy drinking nature of a gem like Simcoe.

Drinkability: EXCEPTIONAL! Wow! Not to say this is a session beer by any means, but rating this beer in the style of DIPAs I have found this to be the easiest drinking most pleasant beer I have had since Ruination. I will need to do a side by side but this one seems to be more sweet and creamy buttery. MMM! It is an extreme (big) beer so it is not sessionable but it is so incredibly easy to put down two of these and leave you wanting, that I had to consider it a 5. I have found that this is a perfect beer to have with some sharp cheddar cheese. Especially if you want it to mellow a bit on the aftertaste then remember the cheese and truly enjoy this one! Weyerbacher, way to go! You knocked this one so far out of the ball park it scored in a new league!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

The Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher has become one of my favorite beers. Great golden color, nice foamy head. It is hoppy but the taste is not over powering. The after taste is smoooth. An excellent beer in IMO. I usually buy the beer in a 22oz bomber, but I have
also found 4 packs of 12oz. bottles.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

I came into this experience expecting it to be good from the reviews but still wary because I've always found Weyerbacher to be hit or miss. Well this beer manages to stand out within the genre in a great way.

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass. Great 2 finger marshmallow head fades quick but never all the way and leaves lacing all over the glass. The color is a beautiful peach with ruby highlights swirling within. The smell is strong piney and floral hops with a touch of citrusy tropical fruits. The look and smell were the deepest and cleanest I've ever seen for this style.

The taste is really refreshing. Nice buttery doughy malts and some perfectly balanced piney and tropical fruit hops. If this is what Simcoe hops taste like, I can see why that's the only variety needed for this guy. Nice bitter aftertaste and the oily hops coat the tongue and make it so the glass never hits the coaster as your driniking it....I literally never sat it down. Drinkability is really quite good considering the alcohol and the mouthfeel is just short of excellent as well. Oily yet light and sparkly on the tongue.

Overall, the best DIPA i've ever had. Simply amazing and something Weyerbacher should be extremely proud of.

4.84/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent beer!

Nice citrus and pine notes, with a crisp finish. One of the best fresh "hoppy" beers I've tried. Great flavor that lingers on the palate.

I got this beer since its description was similar to the Celebration Ale by Sierra Nevada, which I really liked. This beer, however, I like even better!

The bottle poured out with a nice foam head and an deep orange-gold color. Taste, smell, flavor, finish, everything was a plus with this beer. Definitely will get again!

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: This beer poured a dark honeycomb color with an off-white head that rose up about 2 and 1/2 inches high. The head maintained its height leaveing behind a thick wall of bubbles. No beading in this one.

Smell: Has a strong hop aroma, not so much pines but more of a grassy pungent hay and cactus alovera. Sharp. A mild maltiness and just a hint of alcohol can be found.

Taste: The flavors are sweet fruits,masked by a strong hop bitterness. This has a unique hop palate to me, very interesting and distant as well. Perhaps some honey hints in there.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with high carbonation. As I poured this beer,the head grew up rather quickly it it began to overflow. I quickly grab my mug and begin to sip to calm the storm. Where am I going with this? Well, when I finally settled the beer down to a good level I realized how sticky this beer was. Sheesh I almost need a shower now.

Drinkability: I must say I am impressed with this double. I would even go as far as to say this is my new favorite double IPA! This beer had me wondering about flavors the whole time. This is a must try, two thumbs up Weyerbacher!!

Cheers2Beers

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Body is thickly hazy amber. Actually, more like a London fog than typical haze. Massive head resembles an airy version of pancake batter - same eggnogy yellow color, small bubbles bursting on the concave surface. Excellent lacing.

Aroma is powerful, potent, pervasive, piney, and phruity. Love the smell of Simcoe in the happy hour.

Taste begins with a deep caramelly swetnesss, not at all cloying, but like a high quality chocolate versus cheap sugar. The sweetness never really goes away, but forms a continuous foundation, on which the hops build and spill, coating the mouth and tongue. Wonderfully bracingly bitter but not causticly mouth puckering. Through it all, extremely, incredibly well balanced. Finishes with a long, satisfying hop tingle as the malt clears out with the swallow.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewey and just feels right.

Drinkability is simply outstanding. Hook me up to an IV bag with a straw instead of a needle and I'll live on this.

Simcoely, er, I mean simply, this is an outstanding example of an Imperial IPA, and I'm extremely proud of my local brewery. Come Saturday, I'm off to stock up at the source.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Wow, this is really a tremendous beer. You do not see too many IPAs that feature a single hop, and this one really highlights the wonderful simcoe. Nice deep amber color with a well-retained fluffy white head. Smell is outstanding, I knew I was in for a treat before I even had a sip - sweet hop and malt scents combine to delight. Taste is sweet, slightly citrusy hop with a detectable malt backbone. The malt is just right for the hop lover in this IPA, keeps the beer from being too thin or watery and provides just the right counter to the wonderful hop flavor. The alcohol is fairly undetectable in the beer and could certainly sneak up on you, but is by no means a detriment to this wonderful beer.

Weyerbacher does not seem to get much credit for what they do, but this IPA, one of the more popular styles, should certainly garner them some acclaim. If you can, check out their other offerings including the recently reformulated Hops Infusion, which I consider to be a wonderful session IPA.

Highly Recommended!!

Wow. Just wow.
Great dark IPA, with a very tight head, leaving sticky lace all over the damn place.
This is the first beer in a long time that I've actually been able to SMELL, great hops smell; I can't really tell the difference between citrus and piney, but I'm guessing piney here.
The taste is absolutely outstanding, especially for a bottle. Rich hops and malts battle it out, and you win. Amazing balance and flavor abound.
This beer has a rich. chewy mouth feel, and the strong alcohol content is masked by terrific flavor.
I only have the one bottle Kingpin so generously left me, but I think I could drink a few of these.
YUM!

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours pure bronze with a thick head that sticks around permanent lacing. Looks awesome. The smell smacks me like a kinky hot broad and I love it. Spice, pine and POWERFUL fresh hops. More is there but I can’t get over how great the hops smell leaving me to focus on it. Tastes mildly sweet, the perfect amount. Hops are all over the place that are pleasantly bitter and dry. I’m beginning to realize what a great and true IPA tastes like. Not an abundance of flavors, some citrus but delicious as it is. I love this beer and will definitely put it in the starting lineup.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Chilled and poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: Rich dark orange golden color with full fluffy 1 1/2" head that persists for a long time and leaves a thin layer of foam with speckled lacing on side of glass.

Smell: The citrus fruit smell of the hop is very pronounced but as the nose becomes accustomed to the hops there are traces of underlying pale malt showing up.

Taste: The full grapefruit flavor of the hop dominates this beer and then is followed by a nice sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is full and rich with nice carbonation and creamy smooth feeling. The finish is long and hoppy but there is also a complex interplay between the malt and the hop ending in the gentle bitterness of the hop.

Drinkability: This is highly drinkable except for the ABV. I could easily sip away and finish off several of these in a sitting, but would probably have trouble standing later. ☺

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

I got this beer by recommendation of the beer guru in the store. I wanted something good for a holiday with friends. I was impressed by the incredible drinkability of this big beer. Kinda scary. Nice color and nose. It lingers a bit on the palate but I like that. Grapefruit character is pronounced and welcomed. I gave some to a friend who is a light beer drinker (boring) and he was pleasantly surprised and had another. Would recommend this beer to hopheads and anyone liking massive flavor in their brew.

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.