Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Simcoe IPA Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

From bottle, into New Belgium globe.

A- Dark reddish orange. Transparent, not cloudy in the slightest. Lingering head.

S- Sweet citrus hops, with a tinge of a pine bite. Almost a candy like orange sweetness to it.

T- More pine-y hops in the taste, that mix very with the citrus. The taste explodes on the palate after drinking and lingers nicely. This is really unique (in a good way) to me.

M- Slightly heavier than medium bodied. Perfectly fine. Not much more to say here.

O- Is this the best dIPA that I've ever had? No. Is it an awesome dIPA that I wish we could see in the local Nashville market? Hell yeah. This is a highly enjoyable beer.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Hazy copper colour with a large size frothy beige coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is a good amount of lacing. The head lasted for around 6 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, hops, caramel, pineapple, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and it feels slightly creamy on the tongue. There is quite a bit of sweet caramel flavour mixed with malts and a decent amount of hops. There are also notes of pineapples and grapefruits. The beer finishes with a matly sweet pineapple aftertaste with a little bit of lingering hops bitterness.

Overall – The alcohol is very well hidden on this one, and the taste is well balanced. I was a little disappointed with lack of hops, (I expected more) but I'm not exactly sure how fresh my bottle was. Regardless, it's still one of the better DIPA's Ive had.

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Quite dark, even for a double, I'd call it a dark amber or straight up "caramel" color. Lots of haze, and an amazing amount of head. Bottle was not shaken, but I had a tough time keeping this one in the glass.

S: Pretty straightforward, huge piney hops with dry biscuit malt background.

T: Well, this one follows the nose, no question. Huge, wearying bitter hops. Just a palate killer, if it hits the back of your throat expect a bit of eye watering. I don't mind a hop bomb, but just can't get into the "resin" flavor on this one.

M: Plenty of body and chewiness here, wish all beers were like this from the mouthfeel perspective.

O: Eh, just can't get into this beer having tried it twice. I like Ruination, but for some reason Double Simcoe is just too bitter/resiny for me.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic.

A- Pours a slightly hazy amber, with 3 full fingers of creamy, light tan head, which fades slowly to a thin cap, leaving ample lacing.

S- Grapefruit, pine resin, and a bit of herbal/tea-like hopiness. Some caramel and biscuit malty notes do their best to get past the Simcoe hops.

T- Grapefruit-citrus-pine, and a touch of tropical fruit/pineapple. Bitterness level is high, but fairly smooth. Alcohol is well concealed. Fair amount of caramel maltiness.

M- Moderate carbonation. Fairly full feel.

O- Very good. A rock solid DIPA on all fronts.

Future outlook: I'm a huge fan of the unfiltered, and also a fan of this now...though I do feel it falls slightly short of it's less refined twin...but that still leaves it as one hell of a good DIPA, and one I'll be happy to have again...and again...

4.71/5  rDev +16%

Been wanting to try this, but last time I saw it at distributor it was over a year past freshness/enjoy by date. Was planning on Prima Pils for this American holiday weekend, but those were outdated. I checked this, and it says freshest before Jan 4 2012. Good, so I picked it up, so I can finally have it considering Weyerbacher has been pretty impressive and living in PA and all.

Snifter glass. Pours a dark reddish brown, with very thin white head that dissipates fast. Minimal thin white lacing. Could certainly use better head, lacing.

Gorgeous aromas of sweet caramel malt, fruits and piney hops. Hops do shine through. Very inviting and delicious on the nose. Exactly what I want to smell.

Upon pouring this liquid dinner on my tongue, chewy caramel malts, fruits,nuts all competing with the spiciness of the hops. Hops are not overpowering, but they are most definitely there, very noticeable. Packs quite a solid punch, but not overwhelming the other delicious flavors. Very well-balanced, with less carbonation than usual, a big plus in my book. Body is slightly past medium, close to the thick side. MMM MMM MMM.

Outstanding. Very well-balanced, plenty of distinctive flavors to eschew here. Happy Fourth of July, fellow Americans!!!

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

A: pours a hazy mahogany into an American shaker with a finger of head that dissipates quickly and leaves a moderate amount of lacing.
S: big hop profile: floral, pine, grassy. Some mellow malts.

T: across the tongue, and transferring between flavors quickly: caramel, crackers, grapefruit, edible flower garnishes, grass, pine, pine, pine...

MF: thick, a bit chewy, very astringent, great effervescence and leaves the mouth a bit warm.

O: the simcoe IPA should become its own style, I have had 4 in as many weeks. Its hard to rank them because they are all so good. I would readily drink this again but not before a flying dog came available again.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

This is an exceptional beer. I liked weyerbacher's beers before this, but this has to be by far the best they have made. From the pour on it looks awesome. It is a solid amber with a large fluffy whit head which displays incredible lacing. The smell is foward of fruity, floral hops which i think the simcoe hop gives a little extra diversity. It is balanced perfectly by the malts. You can just tell this is going to be a good one. The taste is wonderful. There is an explosion of flavor on the tip of the tongue. Hops, citrus fruits, maybe even alittle bit of young apple and pear. Then comes the hops. While they are strong they are not over the top like some other ipa's ive had. They give a quick hit, then let the rest of the flavors come, then linger. It just has something extra in it i loved. This beer coats your mouth to great extent, there is not a taste bud in your mouth that isn't going crazy. Drinkablity is very high on this beer. There is no alcohol taste so beware and it is very smooth for something as hoppy as it is. Loved it.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a hazy copper color with a fluffy off white head. the simcoe hops are evident in both the smell and the taste. this beer is bitter with a slightly sweet malt backbone, Like a lot of DIPAs above 9%. the mouthfeel is light to medium body, with lower than expected carbonation. overall a really good beer.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We pop the cage and cork on this 750 mL beast and pour a brew of tawny, medium brown. It is definitely dark for an IPA/DIPA. It holds a soft and creamy two finger head the color of fresh cream. It leaves thick lacing as it slowly departs. The retention is outstanding. There is a definite haze to the brew, but no outright sediment is noted. Carbonation appears fairly high, but the bubbles rise slowly through this thick, murky brew. The aroma is taken straight from the dampened floor of a pine forest in early autumn. It is heavily piney, earthy with minerals, and has a thick musk about it. Light notes of citrus accompany the malts through the background. With warmth, a phenolic plastic also appears. As we sip, the first thing to hit is a sour funk. This is more of a wet leaves type of flavor, earthy and woody, as opposed to a sour bretty one. Bittering hops crash next, to quickly replace this initial component. They ride high on standard, somewhat darker, malts, which offer a nice balance. Through the middle a citrus sweetness takes over, and a bit of booze begins to seep into the taste buds, along with a flash of coiny copper. The finish is in this same vein, with sweet citrus and piney hops taking center stage amongst a smooth bed of malts. The aftertaste is curiously bitter after such a sweetened finish, but otherwise breathes of hop stems and mineral. The body is on the fuller side and the carbonation is medium, almost high. The feel to each sip, as lent by the forever retained head is gloriously smooth, frothy, slurpable, and coating. Despite the bitterness the mouth is not overly dried or puckered, as one might expect. The abv is within range, and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, what we found to be the best thing about this brew was the blend within the aroma, and the soft, yet crisp, mouthfeel. The nose remained wonderfully true to the name with bright simcoe hops screaming at the top of their lungs, giving a nice hop to balance with some malt and musk. Upon sipping, what was more striking than the taste was, in fact, the mouthfeel. The head has huge retention, and contributes nicely to the froth and slurp of each sip, adding yet another thing to put this one over the top.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

I've been seeking out different styles of beer to try for the past couple of years and this was my first double IPA. I've recently begun homebrewing and read about single hop brews and just had to try it. To my surprise I saw it, last one, sitting on a shelf at a local beer and wine shop in NW DC. I picked it up and took it home for me and my buddies to share that night. I'm a lover of IPA's and why it took me this long to double my pleasure is beyond me but man, I'm glad this was my first.

Excellent pine aroma. Thicker body than I'm used to and I'm starting to understand the bit of oily taste that I've read about in other reviews. Everything about this beer made me enjoy it. I highly recommend. When finished the four of us were mad I didn't have the opportunity to pick up a second bottle. If you like a strong hop flavor grab this if you see it.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz bottle into a stange

A - A very deep clear amber amber with 3 fingers of rich, tan foam. Great retention and awesome lacing. Its a looker

S - Well; like the name implies, pine is the star in the nose. Tinge of citrus as expected. Malts come through at the very back too

T - Very interesting. Pine, wet grass, lots of bitterness on the back of the tongue. Its very earthy for sure. Usually that grassy note doesn't do it for me but somehow I like it here

M - Really really love the feel. Its medium bodied, rich, smooth, with perfect carbonation for a DIPA. There's a touch of resin, oily feel here as expected. And yeah, very drinkable for the abv

O - Really a lot I like about it. Its one of those thats just off being super. Very nice DIPA for sure. I had this about 4 years ago once and its a nice revisit for me. Love it

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

I finally got around to trying to this beer after hearing many good things about it.

Pours a dark amber color, typical of the double IPA style. A very nice layer of lacy head forms upon the pour. The smell is great, it's got that floral scent with hints of citrus and resin that you come to expect from the DIPA style. This smell is even more pronounced due to the fact that it only uses the Simcoe hop, arguably the most bitter variety.

The taste of this beer is great. It's very similar to the way it smells, but it also has a grapefruit quality that is very pleasing on the tongue. I'm loving the bitterness. It's not overwhelming in the slightest, I believe it enhances the flavor significantly. The mouthfeel is smooth, sticky, and resinous. Just like an IPA should be.

Overall, I am impressed by this beer. From what I know, single-hop beers aren't all that common, so I appreciate Weyerbacher making one this tasty!

A double IPA? Heck yeah, sign me up! I LOVE a good IPA. As a matter of fact, we like IPAs so much that when we did our first home brew, we made an IPA. You want to know how I knew it turned out okay? The beer smelled like an IPA… and tasted like an IPA. So our first batch was a success! The more I get into this style, the more I learn about the hops that are used to make them. Apparently Simcoe are some of the best. Plus, this beer promised extreme bitterness, and I like my beer bitter.

Boy does this beer smell like an IPA. I just love that smell. And boy, do I love that taste! It starts out smooth on the palate, and as it moves to the back of your mouth gets more and more bitter. The more bitter it gets, the better the beer becomes. Then after you swallow, the bitterness sticks around and slowly dissipates as time goes by. The aftertaste actually lasts for a few minutes, rather than a few seconds like most beers we try.

This beer is an obvious IPA, from the nose to the flavors on your tongue. But with an extremely high ABV (high, relatively speaking) someone that likes an IPA, like myself, could get into a LOT of trouble with a beer like this. It’s incredible in every sense of the word. From the smell to the taste, I LOVE this beer.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

1pt 9.4oz bottle. poured cloudy orange with huge white head. in fact I overflowed the glass, which surprised me since I have poured many many beer. Smells crazy strong with hops. some citrus notes in there too. The head holds on for a very long time, quite impressive. Very sweet and hoppy. Definite unfiltered taste. I pick up some orange peel in the background. this is a very good IPA, of which I am a huge fan.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Got this in the refreshing summer BIF. Thanks man. 750ml bottle

Poured into a shaker pint. It is way too carbed. I could tell but the pop the cork made. lost about 1/4 of the bottle. It pours a deep brown like burnt or toasted sugar color. Had a huge light tan head. Dissapated to a thinner one. Lacing coating the glass all the way down.

Aroma is too malty. Lots of caramel. Slight hop aroma but needs more to be an IPA. Smells barleywine ish.

Taste is super sweet for an IPA. Lots of caramel and toasted sugars. Almost tastes Belgian IPA or like a barleywine after a while. It tastes good it's just not an IPA. Bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is too malty. Too high carb.

Overall an ok brew but not an IPA IMO. Like a cross between a hoppy barleywine and a dubble.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle from Beertopia for $2.69

It fills my perfect pout glass with a brew that's a slightly cloudy dark tan with orange on the edges. The foam starts about two fingers thick and leaves some incredibly thick lacing that almost coats the glass. The aroma has a distinctive hop presence indicative of Simcoe with some added citrus. The taste is similar with more hop presence and lemon and a touch of honey making for a sweet DIPA. It is less tart than I expected leaving a tingling on the center of the tongue. I really like this one, but for the price I'd take Hopslam over it.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Served from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a really nice dark orange brown. Really pleased with depth of color.

Smells heavy and earthy. No real fruitiness.

Taste of simcoe hops (duh!) in an earthy sense with a firm balance of malt flavor.

Mouthfeel is heavy and creamy.

Overall I like this beer as a change of pace from the normal Cascade profile I I usually enjoy.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a champagne bottle to a SA Imperial Snifter glass.

Well, this sucker pours a deep reddish chestnut brown with orange and red highlights, with plenty of carbonation to give it a fist full of head that settles down to about a 1 finger thick gooey/slimy mess...mmm. Deep rich malts with sweet spicy hop flavor, and a bunch of alcohol swirling around. Rich biscuity caramel malts, big sticky hop bitterness. Awesome for a DIPA on the feel, smooth, high carb, medium body, aspriny finish for an extra bitter. Is this my bitter beer face?? you betcha. Overall this was very good, the simcoe didnt come out as much as i hoped it would. But then again my bottle had no date on it... wtf! But nevertheless still a great offering and enjoyable.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

From notes on the fly last night.

A: Amber, excellent clarity, fine foam top is light tan. Sheeting lacing.

S: Tea like (orange pekoe) with light metallic and fruit tones. nice.

T: Follows above with a bit more copper and sweetness. Biscuity malts.

M: Medium to high body with lower carbonation. Slick finish.

O: This is a great beer, but not for summer because of the mouthfeel. I would consider this a shoulder season IIPA. So far, one of my favority from Weyebacher.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

- from the notes and a 20 ounce glass
A - very cloudy yellow with a 3 fingered head and massive particulates.
S - a little hoppy but not much else.
T - hops of course but nothing to write home about (just enough to write here about!)
M - thicker than I expected but still decent.
D - I would choose something else first.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Pours a slightly cloudy with a 1.5 finger than foamy head. Pretty good retention slowly reducing to a thin layer of small bubbles on top. Upon pouring there was a really pretty foaming action, similar to guinness actually. Nice lacing all over the glass.

S: Nice citrus aroma mixed with tropical fruits. There is some grapefruit and a little bit of pine as well as some caramel to round it out. Not over the top hoppy.

T: Bitter hops upfront, a nice combination of citrus and a little bit of pine. Heavy dose of caramel on the backend with a bitter finish. Some grapefruit and resiny pine, not the most complex IIPA, but solid.

M: Medium to full bodied, medium carbonation with a dry/bitter finish.

O: Pretty good, not super hoppy, but has a nice combination of citrus/fruit and pine as well as a heavy malt backbone. Solid for sure.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

I've had this a few times...corked bottle, capped bottle in a 12oz four pack (this time), and I think I had it on draft once. The best one I can remember was the corked bottle, I grabbed it the day it hit the shelf...let's see what happens here.

Poured into my Delirium Tremens glass;
Beautiful, deep amber pour. Large, frothy head with long retention and a graduated lacing.

Huge nose...Lots of pear and apples. Simcoe hops are so wonderful, I had Mikkeller's Simcoe Single Hop series and I thought the same. Smells like a garden in summer.

Wonderful first sip. Hops are perfectly in balance with the malt. Wow, pine needles! Maybe some clove, but no "earthiness" to it.

Long, pleasing finish with no bitter astringency at all. I know some people like style of beer but it's not for me...this is.

Fantastic stuff...but I think I had an even better experience with the corked bottle. Granted I got it brand spankin' new off the shelf, but that corked bottle was magic.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

A: a hazy dark copper color with a thick off white head. Sheets of lacing down the glass.

S: Very fragrant grassy and floral hop aroma. Also some sweet malt aromas.

T: There is a caramel malt backbone to the beer, but it is mostly a grassy and floral hop flavor with a bitter hop finish.

M: A little heavy and syrupy.

O: It's a good DIPA. Good flavor and aroma.

This was a decent beer. it did not seem as heavy as most imperials and not as bitter as most IPA's seem. It had a nice thick head that lingered, It was also a nice amber color. I have yet to find a beer that weyerbacher makes that I am crazy about; luckly they have a large selection of beer.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a clear deep orange with two fingers of head. Leaves some lacing behind.

Smell is incredibly subtle for a DIPA. None of the piney, grapefruity scents of other hop varieties.

Taste starts with a nice hop bite, though not as intense as many other DIPAs (unfortunately, bottle date was smeared). Some pine in the taste that I did not detect in the smell. Nice malt backbone to support the hops. Doesn't leave much in the way of lingering bitterness, actually finishes pretty clean. I'm really liking this, it shows DIPAs don't have to be complete hop bombs to be successful.

Mouthfeel is nice, slightly oily. A bit of bitterness lingers, but not excessively drying.

Overall, a very nice DIPA. No overwhelming flavors, the flavor profile comes together pretty well.

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.