Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.

(Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Simcoe IPA Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks for sending this one my way, Scott.

A: The pour is a hazed dark amber color with a finger of khaki colored head.

S: A nice citrus hop punch right off the bat. Good grapefruit and sweet oranges. There is a lot of tropical fruit character as well. Maybe a touch sugary, but a good pine note to round things out.

T: Fruity hop flavors from start to finish. Grapefruit and pineapple are the big ones, but there is a nice citrus peel flavor and a little bit of grass. Pine provides most of the bitterness, and there is a substantial malt component.

M: Medium to full in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: While it does tend a bit toward the sweeter side, it still has a solid hop profile and nice bitterness.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to smokeypeat for this one!

750 mL corked and caged. Some obvious sediment.

Great looking beer! Brown and somewhat cloudy with a giant head that lasted and lasted, continually growing from the torrent of bubbles rising from the laser etching on my duvel tulip glass. Great lacing too.

Very hoppy aroma. Also plenty of grapefruit and lemon peel, various subtle light fruits, and an array of malts.

Taste is very bold. Lots of hops along with a strong malt backbone. Pine and grapefruit are great fillers, along with a subtle fruitiness.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and rich, slightly oily with hops, and strongly carbonated. Light alcohol warming.

Drinks very well. A damn fine offering. The more weyerbacher beers I try, the more I like this brewery. So far the insanity is my fav, but I like them all!

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

The aroma is earthy and very hoppy in the sense of what this beer is.Tthe color is muddy golden looking. Not the most appealing color but once you taste it you'll see it's good. This beer goes through different stages it seems like at first it's hoppy and juicy, then it because more dry as you drink it. The flavor is unique amongst other IPA's. The head on the glass is great too, the lacing is very sticky. This is one of Weyerbacher's pride and joys. This one should be around for quite some time.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Ma 'n pa picked this up in the States and bro and sis flew it over a while back. Thanks for supporting my retarted hobby guys!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger, medium-thick, fluffy, off-white head with good retention. A hazy burnt umber brown with lots of active carbonation. Darker color than expected. A splotchy wisp remains the whole way down and leaves some good lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Medium strength nose of caramel malt, pale malt, light honeydew melon and some citrus grapefruit notes. Light orange peel and some floral hops as well. Nice, but could definitely be bigger.

TASTE: Some caramel and pale malts up front, then more grainy and bready malt through the middle into the finish. Some floral hops at the swallow, then quite a good dose of grapefruit and piney, bitter hops. A bold and lingering aftertaste of bitter grapefruit and piney hops, as well as sweet caramel and toffee notes. A touch of booze lingers as well. Bigger and bolder than the nose, and goes through distinct sweeter malt and bitter hop stages from beginning to finish. Tells a story. Good stuff!

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Very creamy smooth on the palate, somewhat oily even, goes down smooth with a bit of a bite at the swallow and finishes mouth-coating. An oily finish perhaps. Great stuff again!

OVERALL: I enjoyed this one much more than I’d expected to. A nice, creamy palate provided the base for a taste profile with two distinct acts. The nose could be a little bigger, which would add to the anticipation, but the taste profile made this an enjoyable, interesting DIPA. Definitely worth checking out if you get the chance. Thanks again guys!

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A - Pours copper with solid foam retention. There is lacing on the glass. Beer looks thick.

S - Smells of citrus and spicy hops. The aromas come across more focused than most DIPA's. Where there are more complex type, the Double Simcoe is consistent with its scent.

T - Nice taste of tangerines, grapefruit, and the Simcoe gives it a rather spicy hop flavor. Very nice.

M - A beer that coates your tongue. Easy drinker for the ABV.

O - A solid DIPA that stands on its own and flies under the radar.

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Bomber taken out of the fridge ,poured into my Harpoon 100 barrel series glass.

A. Very nice hazy deep brownish orange.Poured somewhat aggresively leaves behind a bid fluffy three finger tan head,that dissapates slowly and leaves behind a quarter inch cap.Lacing is nice and sticky.

S. Citrus and pine are upfront,also get some pineapple. Not very strong aromas,like most DIPA's.

T. Exactly like the smell. Hop bomb,very bitter piney and citrus notes. Not a balenced brew,I don't think it was meant to be that way either.

M. Mouthfeel is great,very creamy medium feel.Coats the mouth really nice.Not overlly carbonated.

Overall Not mind blowing but on the same token not bad either.If you are into hop forward DIPA's I think you would enjoy this.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into snifter.
A: Pours a murky and dark golden brown with 3 inch rocky white head. Excellent retention and lacing.
S: Wonderfully aromatic pine and citrus hops.
T: In-your-face hops here. Bitter, aromatic, pine, citrus...big hops. Hint of pineapple and caramel malt.
M: Medium body. Fresh hop feel. Bitter bite with a mild alcohol burn at the finish.
D: If you are into hops (big time), then this is your brew. Nicely refreshing...even for a big beer. I will say that this beer is nicely balanced...not nearly as harsh as one might expect given the massive hops.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Poured a hazy dark amber. Head is slightly off white and receded after about a minute, leaving behind a nice lacing.

S: Surprisingly, the hop aroma was almost overshadowed by the aroma of sweet malts. The citrus is there, but a lot of sweetness comes through as well.

T: The taste is a more hop forward than the smell suggests. Sweet, dark fruits come through afterwards, and a hoppy bitterness lingers at the end.

M: Decent carbonation, a little syrupy and sticky in a not entirely pleasant way.

D: Quite drinkable. The alcohol is well hidden. Sweet for the style, so perhaps not everybody's cup of tea, but I rather enjoyed it.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to finewinemike for the chance to taste this one. I had actually had this one on tap while I was in DC last year, and remembered liking it. Poured into my DFH snifter, pours a very very dark amber color. Maybe the darkest (non black) IPA I have ever seen. Foam fills the glass, and recedes quickly, leaving a little lacing. Smell- butterscotch, some alcohol notes. Taste- bitter bitter butterscotch, followed by a bitter buttery finish. This is a bitter abusive IPA! The butterscotch flavor is overdone, and this lacks some complexity, but overall is an interesting spin on the style. I'm not sure that using Simcoe hops only was a good thing, but its interesting anyway. Mouthfeel- a teeny bit flat, a little bit syrupy. Drinkability- I overall like this beer, but dont know that I would really be able to have another one today!

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

This beer poured a apple cider like dirty amber with a light white foam that laced the glass. It smelled of simcoe hops (what else?) and a citrusy malty mix to give it a nice sweetness. The flavors are very well integrated. The simcoe hops and citrusy malt are near perfect together. This is also one of the smoothest DIPAs I've ever had. I definitely recommend it.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 12 ozer into a tulip
A - Very deep and cloudy dark orange color on the pour with a kahki brown head and good lace.
S - Very grassy and earthen hops with cirtus spackled into the nose. A good musty pine.
T & M - Awesome hop presence that is smooth and musty. It has a carmalized sugary pine flavor and a deep dark sugar depth. The beer is medium heavy bodied and chewy that finishes a little bitter.
O - A good DIPA that has some goo qualities. It is very natural as it only has one type of hop but it is not incredibly balanced or complex. I really enjoyed it but it will not blow you away.

-Cheers

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Brownish, hazy, with a huge white head that leaves purty lacing.
S - Toffee and fruit. Pineapple, apple, some other citrus all hit me pretty strongly. I don't know much about simcoe so this is new for me.
T - Again, real nice delicate fruit flavors. Apricots, perhaps? A biscuity flavor as well, but just a slight touch. Definitely a soapy character as well. Also getting some more raw 'green' flavors...
MF - Smooth and quite creamy, perfect carbonation. Alcohol warms the throat, but it is very pleasant.
O - Great beer, very enjoyable, especially fresh. Outrageously drinkable at 9% too. Not quite as hop forward as most DIPAs I have tried, definitely not as aggressive. Very pleasant and interesting take on a DIPA, will try again. Hopefully will get a chance to try the unfiltered version (I sent my only 750 of that out in a trade, but it's readily available here).

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Don't really like the looks of this. Kind of a mud water brown/tan color. On the edges it is orange and nice, but throughout most of it is is kind of poopy. The nose is the best thing about this beer. Hops dance happily from pungent bitter to sweet apricots, and followed by a kind of malt "sensibility" that puts a dollop of cream on the whole thing. The flavor is a slight disappointment up against the complex and happy nose. The whole thing just goes fruity in flavor, and then there is a bitterness that only seems to make it hard to take another sip as apposed to balance the sweetness out. I will say that I detect hardly any booziness, so perhaps that's what the bitterness could be hiding at the end.

I think my rating gives this beer it's due. Sweet fruity flavors with a bitter finish, but not a whole lot beyond that. I'd go for it again if it was around, but nothing here get's me off. I would go for more pronounced hop character, not just hop bite, and the high abv. just seems to make that more difficult to achieve here.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a tulip glass, nice thick frothy off white head with a color of dark copper, not clear kind of dense in apperance.

Smell is nice hop front (pines and citrus) with a good lightly roasted/bready malt followup.

Taste is suprisingly balanced (no esters) for this ABV, nice malt sweetness balanced by the big simcoe hop flavors, lots of pine hints of citrus.

Mouthfeel is a touch sweet, would like it to be somewhat smoother, but no ester flavors.

Overall, very good dipa, maybe on the sweet side for my taste but i like the big bready malt balance

2.98/5  rDev -26.6%

A-poured into a dogfish snifter a very cloudy brown with orange tints on the edges three to four fingers head with plenty of retention.

S-smells as malty and thick as it looks very bready nose with a slight grapefruit twinge mostly just malts though.

T-very malty with biscuit and bread hoppy as well picking up grapefruit bitter from start to finish but lingers with a heavy malt sweetness.

M-very heavy for this style thick chewy and slightly off-putting for me.

D-I had this last year sometime at which point I did not review it but this seems like a completely different beer and not in a good way I remember this one being slot better. Maybe I'll grab another in a year and see if it's made a comeback.

Prost!!!

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

A-Poured into a pint glass with an enormous head and a deep amber color.

S-Real deep malty, hop aroma. Fruits like raisins and prunes comes to mind. Not too bad.

T-Super sweet taste. Apparently this is the Simcoe hop. Certainly very different from the other DIPA's I've had.

M-Real thick feel in the mouth. Very chewy.

O-Not too bad. Definitely didn't blow me away. Not overly drinkable. Just an OK beer.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank it out of a Snifter. Picked this up about two weeks ago and let it warm up a bit to release some aroma as it was in my fridge and was quite cold.

Appearance: It poured a dark copper almost light brown color with a finger width of head that dimminished after a minute or so. As I drink it it leaves a nice lace.

Smell: For a double I would expect more hop but the maltyness of this beer is impressive. I get the norm of citrus and pine that you would get from a hoppy/bitter beer but it has almost like a raisin or prune scent to it.

Taste: I was expecting a kick in the face when I got this and in all honesty it was quite subtle. Its sweet yet bitter and tastes well balanced. The hops come through but so does the maltyness.

Overall: I was a bit let down by this. I am a fan of most Wayerbachers and by no means was this not good, I was just expecting a bit more from it being a double. It is a good IPA and if youre just getting into doubles/imperials, this may be a good starting point.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Deep dark orange, unfiltered in clairity. The head is two fingers and is a very silky looking off white. It looks like the lace is gonna be good.

Smell is very sweet malts. Intense citrus smells. Kind of orange-grapefruit ish. Very nice!! Maybe picking up a little of booze.

The taste is more on the sweet malty side. The alcohol is much more in the taste than the smell. The Simcoe bitter is there but not at all over powering or even as much as I would like to have. Don't have a clue how old this bottle is, but do remember it being more hoppy a month or two ago.

As it warms I am getting an orange pith bitter or tartness. Alcohol mellows a bit. Very nice. The lace does stick in a beautiful ring and patch pattern.

The mouth is very luscious, silky, smooth and rich. Almost like the mouth of a Barleywine. I like this very much.

Overall I really enjoyed this. I have to thank sliverX for this. I just recently started posting reviews (don't know why I waited so long), but if I would have reviewed this a month or two ago it probably would have scored a bit higher. A must try!!

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Corked and caged bottle hooked up via MikeyMikee.

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Looks of a nice burnt honey color. About six foot of head on it. Lasts forever. I think I read a novel by the time it dissipated. Leaves thick heavy lacing around the glass. Nice sweet citrus hop nose with a bit of bread/biscuit sprinkled in. If I inhale right before I sip I get whiff if alcohol. This beer is very creamy and soothing. Ya, I know, in a dipa you say? Indeed it is true. It's mello and sweet like it is faintly carbonated. But it is so good. Doesn't take away in the least. The end of the sip has that nice dry bite I like in a ipa. Hop oil is coating my tongue. This is rather superb.

What a pleasure to try. Feels incredibly drinkable at a hefty 9.0 abv. Glad I have a bomber of this and I don't have to share. Search it out.

2.85/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours into a pint glass. This one pours a hazy amber color with an off white head that sits about a finger high. Settles down leaving sticky lace.

Really dry grapefruit aroma with a little bit of a metallic aroma to this. THe taste is a little bit doughy with a bit of a grapefruit flavor profile. Not sure the balance is really exactly what it needs to be; a bit to malty on this with not enough hops to back this up.

The feel is a fair enough, good carbonation. Nice light body. This is a little sticky though. Overall I remember liking this one a lot more when I first got into beer drinking. I was hoping it would stand the test of time for me but not quite. In the end, not a terrible beer but I'll take other DIPAs over this.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Dusty 12 oz bottle that I think has some age to it...

A - Pours a cloudy brown. Looks like a quad. Half a finger of off-white head with poor retention. Not much of a looker. Considerable sediment. Good lacing

S - Sweet malty aromas, with some caramel and some fig. A little bit of hop. This bottle must be ancient, the hops are just barely there.

T - Taste is strong hop bitterness and a lot of a dark fruity sweetness. Finish is bready. Much more barleywine than it is DIPA, which of course leads me to again believe that the bottle at my local shop has been there for ages.

M - Full bodied and sticky sweet. Cloying sweetness and some resinous qualities. Has the body more like a quad or barleywine.

O - Overall this has made a very poor impression. This bottle must be extremely old. I'll be sure to try this fresh some time, but for now it's a massive let down. Nothing like what a DIPA should be. I've had a Simcoe single hop pale ale before and none of that flavor was present here.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

my first single hop to review

A- pours very dark for an IPA. Deep amber/copper somewhat cloudy. small head that doesnt hang out too long.

S- Big floral and piney note. sweet and bitter.

T- nice and piney off the bat with floral notes. similar to the scent. mat character follows in the middle thats followed by a hoppy lingering.

M- smooth and warm with about average carbonation for an IPA.

O- Nicely done, well balanced DIPA that tastes, feels and smells great.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

This is an easy to like hopster with the heat hidden very well - be careful.

If you like hops front to back, malt in its place but there for the ride, this is most worthy.

Had this at their Easton warehouse in 06 but didn't remeber it as good as the one tonight. Trust this one to deliver the goods hopheads.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Highly hopped barleywine / big fruit DIPA
___

A: Nearly opaque vibrant ripe pumpkin orange body with a creamy, persistent, two finger light beige head. Extra fine yeast particles are visible in the body, and a standard pour into a pilsner glass produced a beautiful Guinness-like cascade.

S: Quite aromatic off the pour :) From the bottom up, it's butter bread, barleywine-like plum, potent hops with seemingly every type of hop flavor... pine, fruit, earth, floral... just delicious. Reminds me of a mellower, more mature and balanced FFF hop nose. Beautifully balanced. The hop aroma did fade rather quickly however, leaving malt in high relief. This is almost certainly a freshness issue; therefore, I'm going to review based on what I know this beer is capable of.

T: Matches the nose quite well. Fruit comes up, bread goes down. Butter is still very much alive, but the hops are apparently past their prime. Regardless, I understand what they're too faded to do, and now I'm just dying to find a fresher bottle. I can detect no alcohol.

M: Surprisingly light, considering the schload of malt. Fine grained texture really sticks to the tongue.

O: Adds the fruit of a Barleywine to a double IPA

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA pours a dark amber (rather unexpected) that glows a deep red when held to the light. There is a vigorous white head that leaves a nice lace as it recedes.

The aroma is a heady mix of citrus (especially grapefruit), pine, and light floral. As expected, the flavor is bitter but not overly so. The citrus that was so evident in the aroma gives way to a piney hops that dominate. A bit more sweetness to balance the bitterness would have been appreciated but the taste is very good. The alcohol is hidden well beneath the hoppiness.

I would have liked a bit more carbonation but this is nitpicking at this point. A very good Double IPA.

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.