Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Simcoe IPA Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my third bottle of this stuff now, thanks to Pencible. I really like this beer, so let's get right to the heart of this thing.

Pours a murky copper with an absolutely beautiful off-white head that billows above the concave of my oversized Duvel tulip. Lacing is present all around the glass. The hop smell is an absolute delight, like a Pliny or... no not quite a HopSlam, but still great: Rich simcoe hops smell - very piney and balanced fantastically with a malt backbone. Extremely appetizing. This is a very bitter beer, but for once, it works! I've discovered the beauty of bitter hops. Once again, the malt works great with the hops. It's a balanced, bitter beer...just trying to get some alliteration in there. Fantastic spice flavor with some cream. Damn appetizing. The bitterness doesn't take away from the flavor at all, and it smooths out on the way down.

This is a great IIPA. Should rank up there with the best.

pours a dark amber color with a nice creamy head and good lacing til the end the smell is a hop forward beer with grass,pine and citrus smells,with a malt backbone..the taste is all hops up frontvery citrus tates the the malt kicks in to balance out this dipa..overall a tasty dipa not my favorite but well worth a try

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours almost the perfect shade of amber with a stoic, rocky off-white head. Frothy patches of lace line the glass.

The aroma is hoppy and floral. There's a slight yeasty character.

A small malt backbone is immediately overcome by the hops. These aren't the hop flavors I'm used to, and they kicked me in the teeth, kind of reminded me of a dead garden. Very flowery, very unusual. The bitterness is enjoyably face-pounding. There's nothing astringent about it, but the oily, resinous aftertaste lingers forever.

I said "dead garden." I think that's accurate; it's a very soily, earthy DIPA, with hops standing out above everything else. Even with the overdone aftertaste, I don't mind drinking it, even though I doubt I'd take more than one.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Live Review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I purchased as a single at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio for $3.00.

A Nice, generous head of about 2 inches that sticks around for longer than I thought it might, about 5 minutes. Body is a nice orange brown that glows in front of direct light. There seems to be a fair amount of small sediment floating in the body which creates interest and the lacing is great. Nice look, very appropriate to the style.

S Grapefruit bitterness for sure. My mouth is already puckering but it is also watering (bracing no doubt for the hop bomb that it is about to consume).

T Way way too much hops here. I do taste some sweet malt but this is too unbalanced. I know that it is true to the style so I cannot mark it down too low but I really do not care for the taste. I still have the almost full pint in front of me and I am not sure that I will finish it.

M A huge beer with malty sweetness completely washed out by a huge hops bitterness that I am anticipating tasting tomorrow.

D Poor. I am not sure that I will finish this pint.

Notes: I continue to sample beers of all styles, trying to embrace the whole "hops" thing but it is just not working. This might be one of the hoppiest beers that I have ever had.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a dank orange color. Hazy, actually kind of "gritty." Huge, sticky orange-tinted head that collapses upon it self to resemble something of a moonscape. This beer left so much gooey lace on the sides of the glass I was forced to pour my next beer into a different glass.

S: Copious amounts of pine and resin. Some oily citrus notes like grapefruit rind, but predominantly pine.

T: A punch in the mouth exploding with resinous hop goodness. Full frontal hops, pungent pine fades to a fleeting mild malt backbone that slowly develops into a very biting grapefruit bitterness over the course of a minute or two.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Hop resin coats the mouth and tongue.

D: Wow, there's no hiding the hops here. An absolute hop explosion, amazingly the courtesy of a one single hop variety. I'm admittedly a hop head and when I need a fix, this beer offers just what I'm looking for. However, two is the limit on this. With the 9% ABV and the not so subtle hop assault, anymore and you'd just be wasting a fine beer.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured heartily into my Duvel Tulip.

First beer of the night, huge tan head, three fingers, that drops at a creep. Opaque amber body, white foamy lacing on the glass. Nose is fairly strong, hops from a foot away, even some malts are there, dare I say chocolate smells? Great body, medium carbonation, highly bitter. The hops really dominate the flavor, perfume on the tongue, just barely sweet. I wouldn't say its really balanced, but truthfully this is about what I expected, so I'm not disappointed. As it warms up the bitters surface even more, turning this into an overly bitter drink (shaving some points off drinkability.)
Thanks to PEBKAC for the brew.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

A - A deep copper body...pour produced a one in head that settled into a ring...left great lacing

S - Sweet aromas of grapefruits and some pine...oh the sweet smell of hops

T - Starts off sweet...I'd say that would be the few malts that are in this beer...after the initial sweetness goes away it's full on hops...a nice bitterness is produced but it's not too harsh...

M - Medium bodied...nicely carbonated making it refreshing

D - I'm so happy I finally got to try this...boy does it give someone their hop fix...can't have too many or you won't be able to taste anything!

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Bought a single of this at Half Time in NY. Twelve ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Pour produces a huge three finger cream colored head. Decent retention and lots of lacing. Pours a dark orange. Very hazy with some sediment.

Smell is spectacular. Pineapple and tropical fruits. Some caramelly and biscuity malt is there in the background, but hoppy aromas are most noticeable. Grapefruit and pine resin as well.

This is a great DIPA and I really like the flavor profile of the Simcoe hops. Taste right away is sweet citrus and grapefruit. Tangerine and pineapple. Malt backbone shows itself in the middle. Caramel and toffee with some white bread. Finishes with flavors of pine resin and grass.

Mouthfeel is fantastic. Slick, oily, creamy. It glides over the tongue. Carbonation is mild. Finishes a little dry. Medium bodied. Alcohol is only noticeable with some warming.

Very drinkable. Lots of flavors and complexity. Good balance as well. Not my favorite DIPA, but definitely a great one. I do prefer Hop Wallop and 90 Minute over this. My second great offering from Weyerbacher.

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

I'm not a huge fan of DIPAs so I have to preface my review by saying so...

Pours a delicious looking dark copper with a brainy head that takes its time to dissipate. The nose to me is soft but smells of typical pine. The initial flavor is sweet but that quickly gives way to intense hoppiness and backend bitters on the tongue. The aftertaste isn't unpleasant and for me, that's saying something with a double IPA. Truth is though, I'd rather look at this beer than drink it...I'm just not a hop lover. Therefore, drinkability and taste take a hit. I can see why this is a popular beer though.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

poured a hazy light copper/amber small film head mostly edge bubbles left lots of sticky lacing
smell was balanced malt and pine hops smells somewhat of apricot as well
taste is balanced until the finish which is very pine hop influenced again a somewhat apricot taste along with a biscuity malt
mouthfeel is medium bodied goes down easy but kinda leaves the mouth a bit dry
drinkablility this is an easy drinking IIPA and I'm a fan

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy/cloudy dark orange in color. Nice half-inch head that sticks around with some peaks. Stellar lacing for keeping the time. Perfection!

S: Big citrus hops off the gate. Grapefruit, tangerine, some lemon zest. Some nice pine in there too. Great aromatics all in all.

T: Its a blast of hops in the beginning, a bitter withdraw that is very pleasing if you're a hophead. Some malt is in there, but the hops take over both the arrival and the getaway.

M: Medium to full bodied, its sticky and chewy. Carbonation is very much present making it pop on the palate. ABV can easily be flipped, other than the thickness of the beer kind of reminding you otherwise.

D: Very drinkable! I highly recommend if you like big hops. Will be enjoying again real soon with other WBC to follow.

I'm BuffaloTapHugger....and I just discovered Simcoe (R) Hops.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours an orange gold with a big frothy head composed of small bubbles. Oily swirls lace through the glass, the beauty of a hop bomb.
The smell is diesel hoppiness...literally, the simcoe hops shine in the spotlight, very astringent, but nice.
The taste follows suit, the aroma as the beer enters your mouth adds to the complete hoptitude of this beer.
The mouthfeel is nice as well, the oils from the hops get only slightly in the way of a clean finish.
The drinkability is very nice for the abv, I could and will have more than one of these.

4.82/5  rDev +18.7%

Chilled and poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: Rich dark orange golden color with full fluffy 1 1/2" head that persists for a long time and leaves a thin layer of foam with speckled lacing on side of glass.

Smell: The citrus fruit smell of the hop is very pronounced but as the nose becomes accustomed to the hops there are traces of underlying pale malt showing up.

Taste: The full grapefruit flavor of the hop dominates this beer and then is followed by a nice sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is full and rich with nice carbonation and creamy smooth feeling. The finish is long and hoppy but there is also a complex interplay between the malt and the hop ending in the gentle bitterness of the hop.

Drinkability: This is highly drinkable except for the ABV. I could easily sip away and finish off several of these in a sitting, but would probably have trouble standing later. ☺

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

A- Delicious looking amber color. Big frothy head. some floaties in there. This stuff looks good.

S- hint of sweet malt, but mostly simcoe.

T- Bittersweet hops , with a sweet malty finish. a touch of citrus. Tastes like candied hops. Mmmmm...candied hops.

M- Medium carbonation, thick syrupy consistency.

D- Very delicious and well balanced.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

This is not a cheap beer, so my expectations are pretty high.

Pours beautiful cloudy orange-copper. Nice chewy-looking tan head. So far, so good.

Nice intense aroma of grapefruity hops. Now, for the real test...

Bang! The taste is BIG and HOPPY (which makes me happy). Sour and puckering, but with butterscotch and lemon rind and apricot shooting though the middle. Malty, thick, bitter, and potent...this is a sippin' brew.

Finish is pleasantly bitter and buttery. Lace trails down the sides.

Love everything about this beer, save the price.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Looking good, smelling alright, tasting a bit off. An aroma of orange peel sweet bread. Scents of candied hops and sweet malt. A syrupy, toffee beginning turns burnt sugar hops to peel zest. Metallic notes reminiscent of iron in blood, possibly just the bottle at hand. A light spiced carmel provides a backbone for high pitch citrus twang. Booze is well hidden, sweetness is not. An interesting stop on the DIPA highway.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

A: Amber in color with a decent off white head. Lacing is fantastic.

S: This beer has a nose that I can't quite put a finger on. I'm getting citrus and grass with the smell of a summer barbecue in the background.

T: I'm not very familar with Simcoe hops, but if this is a prime example of the flavor then I am a fan. This beer has a hard bite that mellows a bit in the finish. Pine and citrus fruits ease into caramel smoothness. The alcohol burn is not masked all that well.

M: Thick and oily on the tongue, and a glaze remains for a while after the flavor has gone.

D: Weyerbacher doesn't seem to try and hide the fact that this is a 9% ABV brew and it shows.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Gorgeous-looking beer with large white foamy head that leaves lacing on top of dark honey brown colored brew. A floral aroma of fresh hops, pine, citrus notes and other light fruits. Aggressive on the hops with pine and bitter notes throughout interrupted by light, flittering fruit notes, alcoholic booze and grassy, soapy flavors in the aftertaste. Bubbly carbonation tickles the tongue and for this 9% is highly drinkable for various seasons.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a murky blood-orange color with a thick khaki colored head that left some sticky lacing on the glass. A very nice citrus and floral hop aroma. More on the orange side of citrus. Very nice and fresh aroma. Light floral & citrus (more grapefruit) hop flavor to start followed by a bittering resin crush. A nice bready malt supports the hop flavors but takes a back seat like any good DIPA should. A healthy malt body with pricky carbonation, a bit of an ABV burn. A very good DIPA, the hops are forefront with a supporting malt body. The ABV and bitterness keep the drinkability down for me but this is a good brew.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A huge thank you to deliriumfest for this beer.

I absolutely love the Simcoe hop, and Weyerbacher has done an excellent job at . I'm terribly lucky to have Pliny the Elder easily available year round, not to mention the many other great California DIPAs and IPAs. Even with all those great choices, I wouldn't hesitate to put this beer in my normal hops lineup if it were distributed out here. The Simcoe hop has a wonderfully complex flavor. It's citric, piny and floral all at once. The feel is a tad dry, but it hardly detracts. The malt backbone is able to stand up to the assault of hops and lend enough sweetness to bring out the full flavor of the hops. I'm enjoying this beer very, very much.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a slightly hazy amber, one finger head, dissipates to a decent cap.
Super piney hops and a bit of citrus, really nice big hops.
Again more hops, almost perfect punch with a well balanced bitter follow, notes of citrus and herb.
This is an excellent IPA, tons of hops flavor, well balanced maintains its drinkability. Love it.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Surprisingly opaque pale brown. Nice head.

Smell is good. Malt, lots of hops. And there's something unusual here that I can't put my finger on.

Taste is good/decent. But the hoppiness isn't that great - I'm not getting much more from the hops than bitterness. Tangy and caramely taste, but not too sweet.

Nice smooth mouthfeel. Very hopslam-like in that department.

Drinkable. But it pales in comparison to Hopslam, and I prefer Gordon to it as well. I'll probably try it again one day. Maybe this bottle was old, because it was not as good as I expected.

2.94/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured for a huge pillow layer of head, medium pour. Smell of slight pine and citrice. Taste has a slight sweetness but overall the bitterness dominates. A sipper for sure, and although others said it could be session beer, this is a huge IPA and probably just not my style, a good beer overall.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

A hard pour produced almost 3 fingers of thick creamy head.
Cloudy orange/amber coloring.

Smell is floral, hops. A slight alcohol and citrus aroma too.

A sweetness hits my palate first of all followed by a strong hops/floral taste.
Nice mouthfeel with a slight bitter aftertaste. This is very tasty.

The Simcoe hops supply a very unique flavor to this one. Its sweet, citrusy,floral and many other flavors that are hard for me to describe.

Very easy to drink. The alcohol flavor and smell disappear after a few minutes and this one goes down smooth.

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Foothills 10 oz glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark golden-yellow, with three fingers of white head. Dissipated slowly and left a heavy blanket of lacing.

Smell: Surprisingly malty and sweet - I got a very strong whiff of hops as I opened the bottle, but a sweetness dominates in the glass. Notes of honey, with the piney hops taking a backseat. Bare hints of citrus come through as the beer warms. Too malty-smelling for what I'd be looking for in a DIPA. Hints of the alcohol are present in the background.

Taste: Bitter piney and grassy hops up front, which linger throughout but fade into a honey-malt sweetness. Tastes much hoppier than it smells. A slight tang indicative of citrus, but no real citrus flavor. Alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Decently thick, nicely carbonated. Creamy, almost chewy in the mouth. One of the thicker DIPAs I've had.

Drinkability: If you're a fan of well-balanced DIPAs, this is the one for you. If you're more of a fan of the stronger hop/citrus presence, this isn't what you're looking for. A good beer, but one that's not really my cup of tea.

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.