Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.

(Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Simcoe IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a gorgeous shade of reddish orange-gold with a nice, two finger off-white head that diminishes slowly to a ring and surface foam. Moderately hazy body.

The smell is an inviting blast of hops. Pungent, woodsy, piney and floral. Almost like a rugged cologne. Some traces of citrus too.

Tastes like it smells -- big floral, piney hops with a juicy ruby-red grapefruit finish. Some caramel in the backbone. Nice complexity -- flavors come and go and shift throughout. Very thought-provoking.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and tingly but with a nice, slippery, oily texture to it.

Nicely drinkable for a DIPA. Extraordinarily hoppy without being astringent and you don't feel the huge ABV the way you'd think. Kind of dangerous, actually. Because I'd love to have another two or three after I finish this one, though I know it would kick my ass.

I really dig this. Along with the Moonglow Weizenbock, the best Weyerbacher I've had.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a murky red/gold with little head leaving a crown.

Smells fruity with the obvious simcoe scent dominating.

Tastes pretty similar to the nose, let me put it this way, it's an accurate name and a very good IPA, straying toward the other end as the DFH IPAs.

Mouth is medium with medium carbonation.

Would have this one again since I can't get that many decent DIPAs here.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

So this is a super hoppy beer. Its like walking thru a forest.. and eating all the trees. Pours a dark amber and produces a foamy head that is very, very nice. All aroma is a hop bomb- super citrusy and floral, very lemony- just crazy hop presence. Fklavor is also extremely hoppy. Tons of tons of hop with just a bit of malt presence just beneath the hop to provide a bit of balance. Mouth is moderate, hoppiness leaves a lasting floral impression. Very crisp and clean feeling. Overall its very intense with the hop character. I'm not typically a hop fan and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Was kinda amped to try this one, I do like me some Simcoe hops. This baby delivers. I can't tell when it was brewed, but it tastes very fresh.

Pours a nice clear orange. Smells of citrus and pine, my favorite smells. Tastes the same, with a nice minimal tempering of faintly bready malt, keepin' it dry and tight, the way I love it.

Mouthfeel, man, this thing dials up the bitter region taste buds in the back of your mouth like a boxer doing a speed bag. Highly drinkable, I wish I had more than a single bottle of this. Hesitant to trade for it because of the sitting on store shelves/freshness factor, but this is an outstanding beer and a real treat for Pennsylvanians. Thanks to DRINKNDRIVE for the extra.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Given that I haven't had Double Simcoe in awhile, have never reviewed it and that it's one of the only Weyerbacher beers I actually like, I figured it was time for a review.

Pours a hazed burnt orange amber color with a dense and creamy light beige head. Head settles very slowly, has excellent retention and leaves layers of stick on the sides of the glass.

Smell is quite hoppy, with juicy grapefruit, pine resin, and an intense herbal and earthy quality. It's just a bit on the weak side, and if it were more pungent and robust it'd be even better.

Taste is also full of juicy hop flavor, but it's more robust than the smell and oozing with hoppy goodness. Lots of juicy citrus, grapefruit zest, pine resin. There's enough of a malt backbone here to give some balance, but it can't keep up with the onslaught of hop flavor. Bitterness, too, is intense and lingers into the finish with some herbal and earthy hop flavor. Mouthfeel is close to full, slick and creamy and very smooth for a DIPA.

I'm not a big fan of Weyerbacher in general but this is far and away my favorite beer of theirs. Really outstanding. Can't say much more than that.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.0 A: Translucent orange amber color. Two fingers of thick creamy head. Good retention, good lacing.

4.0 S: Citrus and floral hops. Big of grapefruit in particular. A bit of woodiness and a tad bit of pungency.

4.0 T: Simcoe hops are very nice as is evident from this beer. Tangy citrusy flavor is predominant. Loads of herbal hop flavor. Grapefruit again..

4.0 M: Heavy medium body, creamy as all hell. Very nicely done.

4.0 D: Simply delicious. A good beer to drink anytime.

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%

In light of recent threads claiming this to be a top DIPA, I picked up a bottle. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a clean, clear amber. Solid one fingers width of off-white head.

S- One word, potent. The smell of fresh piney hops invade the nostrils like they are on a mission. Was able to detect a slight hint of citrus.

T- Flat out doesn't do it for me. This beer is extremely one-sided, allowing for nothing else to shine through. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge hophead, and while I love hops in the face, the taste just seems rough and unrefined.

M- I felt like my mouth was taking on a full assault. This beer was bitter and too hot for my liking. I didn't particularly enjoy the inability to taste anything after a sip.

D- Not so much. It was hard for me to enjoy this due to the unrefined hops explosion.

Overall, no balance in this beer whatsoever and that doesn't bother me. The part that bothers me is that if the beer is going to be one-sided relying on the hops profile, it should be done in way that allows for some taste. There is no taste to this beer whatsoever. All you get is a strong, bitter burn that kills every taste bud you have.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Poured a ruby grapefruit-orange with a thick, lustrious sticky white head that was moderately lasting leaving a good film lacing.

S: huge with fresh pine resin, grapefruit and dry floral notes. A sweet caramelization lingered in the background.

T: The flavor delivered a huge boutique of dry flowers and dried grapefruit and pine. The hoppiness was sticky, bitter citrus with a pungent nature at first that slowly gave way to a more gentler and kinder smoothness deeper into the drink. There was a sticky sweet caramelization trying to come through the intense hoppiness at times but it was the hopping that truly stood out flavor wise in this beer.

M: full, sticky and oily with a pungent citrus and flowery coating of the tongue leaving it perched.

D: A great drinking 2x ipa but better left for the serious. The casual pale and ipa drinker will be in for a hop shock in this one. The more you drink the more you tongue becomes numb to the initial shock and goes down much easier. Would recommend finishing the night with this one not to destroy you palate for other beers that may follow.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. It pours a hazy orange with a very nice white head. The head had excellent staying power and left a copious amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is intense pine potpouri, it hits you as soon as the cap is popped. The flavor is very heavy pine with mild citrus in it. The finish is long lingering and slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is very full and is sticky. The beer is a bit of a sipper, even by DIPA standards. One of the best DIPA's I have ever had.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

thick off white head with small bubbles amber colored beer clear bright in apperance

huge nose full of hops all piney citrus grapefruit with a sliver of malt sweetness burried under the huge hop aromas

Huge hops citrus backed up with a brown sugar malt profile, spicey hops and after more hops there are some smooth hops

Smooth creamy clean

Very drinkable beer I wish this was available closer to home

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Initial pour presents an amber hued outstanding looking double IPA. It also produces an off-white, impressive head that quickly dissipates to a thin lace that sticks to the glass brilliantly as I drink. Both the aroma and taste are very citrusy and piney. The taste is very strong hops with a malty backround. I've never had sicmoe hops before this one but it will certainly keep my interest. My 1st weyerbacher and it was a pleasent experience. I'll try some more by them.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a brilliant orange hue with some amber undertones, gtopped by a small, creamy, stark white head. Aroma of spicy Simcoe hops, with notes of pine and grapefruit, balanced by a good dose of slightly sweet, bready malt.
Palate is a sharp dose of spicy, piney Simcoe hops up front. The malt body emerges mid-palate to temper the hop onslaught just a bit, but recedes just as quickly, yielding a lasting spicy bitterness on the finish. Body is full and a touch foamy, but not too sticky. Strong and assertive, this is definitely a beer to take your time with, but I feel like I could drink a couple of these in a (very enjoyable) evening.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

This one pours out a redish orange color with a nice sized, thick off white head that fades at a slower pace and almost coated the glass with lacing. the smell is not as hoppy as i was expecting. it's hoppy alright, but there's also some pine and citrus with a touch of malts. The taste is delicious with loads of hops and a bit of citrus with malts. not too bitter, but not too sweet it's like little red with her porridge. The Mouthfeel is great with decent carbonation and a medium / thicker beer. It's amazing how well the 9% is hidden behind this one. Thanks to Zapata for this amazing beer!

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a nice cloudy copper orange color with an incredible off white frothy head that leaves some amazing sticky lacing on the glass. The aroma comes out of the gates with a strong hit of hops, a little citrus and a little pine. Nothing to crazy. The taste is delicious. Has the perfect bitterness that a beer should have. Strong hop taste to it with a little malt, citrus and pine afternotes. The mouthfeel is great. Medium to strong bodied ale and at 9% you wouldnt know it. Excllent drinkability, though it wouldnt take many of these bad boys. Must try for any hop enthusiast.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

I don't have a lot of experience iwth Simcoe hps so I wanted to pick this up to see what it's like. Pours a hazy darke orange.. like Orange Pekoe tea. Nice thin but sturdy head that just leaves an impenetrable blanket of lacing on the sides of the glass. Looks like an APA to me. Aroma is sweet yet grassy, like smelling Swedish fish. Taste is a little too bitter for my tastes, but it certainly is an IPA. Very long lingering bitterness on the tongue with some slight breadyness to both the hops and the malt. Pretty well balanced in terms of hop/malt flavor but the bitterness is quite prevalent. Mouthfeel is medium which doesn't complement the hops IMO. I'm usually against very thin IPAs but in this case I don't think it serves such a strong bittering character. This is a bitterness bomb and I'll be sipping this one for a while.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance - Cloud orangey brown with a creamy off white head.

Aroma - Freshly cut white grapefruit and pine.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied brew with light carbonation.

Taste - Sweet pink grapefruit that light up front then builds in strength through the finish.

Overall - Awesome. One of the best IPA's I've ever had.

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA...from the Big Beers Variety pack.

Appearance-deep intense orange, active head that floods up, lots of carbonation, really fills up the glass.

Smell-hops, hops, hops, Simcoe aroma is intense, not really getting much else.

Taste/Mouthfeel-hop rashness, this beer is indeed one-sided. Not alot of malt flavoring, could use some more balance, I always thought I liked lots of hops, but wow. Just seems one dimensional though the flavor really isn't that bad.

Drinkability-too intense to really enjoy although you will be paying attention.

Overall-an interesting brew but not only that I really enjoyed, I found it rash and unbalanced, and I consider myself a hophead.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

We are from San Diego (Ipa capital of the world) and just tried this beer and we loved it. It has a great hop aroma of citrus. The mouthfeel is just right. The hops do not overpower the beer. Nice malty character without being to sweet. The finish is clean and drinkable. Glad to find a good Double IPA on the east coast

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

As most DIPA's are, this looks deep, rich and viscous. mmmm. The smell is much less hoppy than expected and what I think that means is that this beer will be more balanced than alot of hophead doubles tend to be. Tastes is very malty and just hoppy enough. Normally this would be disappointing. I wanted to be overloaded with Simcoe hoppiness but the balnce, the full creamy mouthfeel and the utter Drinkability of this DIPA overwhelm me. This may be my favorite of the style so far. I've already tried 90 min,moylans hosickle,ruination and devil dancer and this is by far the most drinkable without sacrificing any flavor.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Hazy copper color. Good amount of carbonation bubbling. Poured with a finger of white head with great lacing.

S: Not the best nose on this. Sort of muted hops. Might have been on the shelf for a while. I have had this on tap and the hops invaded my nose like my nose was France. Biscuit malt is detectable in the back.

T: Very nice strong hop bitterness with some nice citrus notes as well. Little bit of oranges and a hint of grapefruit. Finishes bitter. Good hop burps.

M: Little bit sticky. Clings to the back of your throat.

D: I think I might have gotten a slightly older bottle. This thing is a monster fresh. While this is good I know it can be better. Will have to revisit some time in the future. If you can get it on tap do your self a favor and grab a pint.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

Double Simcoe IPA is a jewel-like red amber ale with a big, messy, yellowed off-white head. It is frothy and irregular and won't let go of the glass. Excellent. I can smell it from across the room. There is something spicy, almost like allspice, grapefruit peel, like cascades, but softer and more wooden. The aroma is a bit sweet. The silky medium body lightens as it goes. Exquisitely supple; leaves the tongue slick. It's bitter as all get-out! It's like grapefruit juice with tree bark. The aftertaste never really comes-- it just keeps going. The malt provides a slightly sour and biscuity backdrop. Bombastic!
(rated Sep 5, 2007)

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured out of the bottle this thick sticky orangish-brown colored Ipa produces a nice head with good stick and appeal.

Smell is a nice citrus piney hop aroma which is common for many good Ipa's. It's also a touch sweet smelling.

Taste reminds me of a good strong Ipa mixed with some characteristics of a barleywine style ale (particuarly Old Horizontal). The hops hit you up front, but there's a definite malty sweetness in the middle, and then the hops come back out towards the finish and linger for a bit.

Mouthfeel is thick and full bodeid...borderline syrupy. It's a little thinner and hoppier on-tap, and I prefer it a bit more.

This goes down pretty easy for me, but I also love really hoppy beers.

Morey's Bottom Line: I think I prefer this beer ever-so-slightly on tap, but the bottle is terrific too. Definitely one of the best Ipa's on the market in my opinion.

Similar to Dogfish Head 90 minute, but a bit better.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an amber color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was huge, foamy, long-lasting head and some very good lacing.

S: Smelled of hops and citrus, along with a little malt.

T: A big, big dose of hops, accompanied by grapfruit, lemon and subtle malt. A complex taste that's very powerful.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a slightly syrupy finish. Full-bodied.

D: Overall, this is a drinkable beer with a lot of character and a huge taste.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

A- pale copper. Head was slow to dissipate and was still 1/4 in after two minutes.

S- Loving the smell. Sweet smell of malt, not too much, followed by a nose full of Simcoe hops. Has a bit of a lemon rind aroma mixed with sweet malt.

T- Good balance of hops and sweetness of the malt. I get a bit of hot alcohol on the exhale mixed with the spiciness of the hops. Nice bitter aftertaste of the hops.

M-Smooth with a bit of hot alcohol.

D- I could kick back with a few of these especially during the warm summer months.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Who do I have to thank for this sweet extra? My sweet bitch Egledhill. My second drinking choice out of a trade box loaded with awesome extras from my wants list. My favorite style too, except for doggie.

Right off the bat I'm impressed with this beer. Opaque orange hued caramel with a very nice off-white head of well graded bubbles. Great retention. Lots of lacing. Honestly - good looking brew.

Smell follows. Strong hoppy yum. Dry grass - but better. Opens the eyes.

Taste is good, but not as good as the looks or scent leads you to believe. Definite hop bite, then a little taste that's .... not hops. Lingers afterward. A different sort of bitter. Still in a leafy way. I don't know what the hell I'm trying to say either.

Creamy full bodied beer even with the carbonation. 9%? What 9%? I would've guessed 5. I could drink many, many, many of these.

Overall: solid, proud offering

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.