Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,030 | Reviews: 1,336
4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Nice deep amber color. Boy, the pine aroma hits the nose before you can even satrt to drink. After the initial "pininess" the citrus aroma and flavors come out. Nice full mouth feel and hoppy finish. I didn't realize it was 9%abv until I reached the beeradvocate page for this beer. I will buy again when I see it.

My first Weyerbacher and I was very impressed. Pours a deep amber with a nice head that left nice lacing in a goblet. The floral hop smell hits you immediately and made me dive right in. Bitterness with a long finish follows my first sip. Nice carbonation and medium bodied nice beer

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance: a dark amber/caramel color, medium carbonation, fairly big head.

Smell: I get a strong whiff of grapefruit, some lemon, some forest smell

Taste: grapefruit and a bit floral

Mouthfeel: medium body, a bit watery in parts, with a sharply bitter finish

Drinkability: Not being an IPA person, I do like this beer and would feel comfortable drinking three in a sitting. It is bitter, but not too bitter..a good beer

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

I got this from Wine Gourmet in Roanoke,VA while ordering some Nugget Nectar. Their prices are still a bit high but not as bad as in their previous location.

On to the beer. The dark amber color glows against the light. Very Nice.

Smell and taste are very similar, lots of citrus, grain, biscuit in the mouth. Some pine. Overall taste smacks you, then peels back to reveal the complexity. Superb taste.

But for me its the oily coating mouth feel, the warming alcohol and the subtle carbonation that puts this beer into my top 10.

Great Job!

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to ericwo for a kick ass extra in our trade! Been after this one for quite some time.

Pours a reddish orange with a HUGE, two finger white head. Looks enticing!

I get a lot of wood and pine in the nose. Grapefruity-citrus as well.

Huge floral hops upon first sip. Pine, vanilla and ruby red grapefruit. Interesting to say the least. It goes down very smooth for a DIPA... very creamy mouthfeel. No problem polishing a few of these off in a sitting.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Pours a hazy orange yellow with 2 fingers of head which subsides to about a half finger with tons of lacing the whole way down the glass.

S- TONS of grapefruit, hoppy floral notes, and some underlying pine.

T- A hint of sweetness in the upfront. Lots of grapefruit. Hops weren't as upfront and bitter as I had expected. Good hop bitterness none the less. Finishes very well, with some underlying pine, a bit of sweetness, then finally the hoppy bitterness, which leaves you wanting another sip.

M- Phenomenally smooth and creamy for a DIPA, great carbonation with tiny little bubbles. Just a superb mouthfeel.

D- Between the incredible mouthfeel and perfect balance in the flavor, this is one beer I could drink quite a few of. Look out though, at 9% you can't get carried away!

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a bit of hazy orange. Head is a creamy tan that sticks copiously. Nose is a bit musty, with a grainy, slightly piney backdrop. Not sure exactly what simcoe hops are supposed to be like, but there's nothing here I identify as a big, fresh hoppiness. First taste is definitely a mouthful of hops - sharp, intense bitterness is almost spicy with vanilla and woodiness. Again not a fresh c-hop, but more of a deeper, more complex hoppiness. Balancing malt is also quite heavy giving an overall sense of a rich, decadent brew. Light carbonation and creamy body.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a gorgeous shade of reddish orange-gold with a nice, two finger off-white head that diminishes slowly to a ring and surface foam. Moderately hazy body.

The smell is an inviting blast of hops. Pungent, woodsy, piney and floral. Almost like a rugged cologne. Some traces of citrus too.

Tastes like it smells -- big floral, piney hops with a juicy ruby-red grapefruit finish. Some caramel in the backbone. Nice complexity -- flavors come and go and shift throughout. Very thought-provoking.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and tingly but with a nice, slippery, oily texture to it.

Nicely drinkable for a DIPA. Extraordinarily hoppy without being astringent and you don't feel the huge ABV the way you'd think. Kind of dangerous, actually. Because I'd love to have another two or three after I finish this one, though I know it would kick my ass.

I really dig this. Along with the Moonglow Weizenbock, the best Weyerbacher I've had.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a murky red/gold with little head leaving a crown.

Smells fruity with the obvious simcoe scent dominating.

Tastes pretty similar to the nose, let me put it this way, it's an accurate name and a very good IPA, straying toward the other end as the DFH IPAs.

Mouth is medium with medium carbonation.

Would have this one again since I can't get that many decent DIPAs here.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

So this is a super hoppy beer. Its like walking thru a forest.. and eating all the trees. Pours a dark amber and produces a foamy head that is very, very nice. All aroma is a hop bomb- super citrusy and floral, very lemony- just crazy hop presence. Fklavor is also extremely hoppy. Tons of tons of hop with just a bit of malt presence just beneath the hop to provide a bit of balance. Mouth is moderate, hoppiness leaves a lasting floral impression. Very crisp and clean feeling. Overall its very intense with the hop character. I'm not typically a hop fan and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Was kinda amped to try this one, I do like me some Simcoe hops. This baby delivers. I can't tell when it was brewed, but it tastes very fresh.

Pours a nice clear orange. Smells of citrus and pine, my favorite smells. Tastes the same, with a nice minimal tempering of faintly bready malt, keepin' it dry and tight, the way I love it.

Mouthfeel, man, this thing dials up the bitter region taste buds in the back of your mouth like a boxer doing a speed bag. Highly drinkable, I wish I had more than a single bottle of this. Hesitant to trade for it because of the sitting on store shelves/freshness factor, but this is an outstanding beer and a real treat for Pennsylvanians. Thanks to DRINKNDRIVE for the extra.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Given that I haven't had Double Simcoe in awhile, have never reviewed it and that it's one of the only Weyerbacher beers I actually like, I figured it was time for a review.

Pours a hazed burnt orange amber color with a dense and creamy light beige head. Head settles very slowly, has excellent retention and leaves layers of stick on the sides of the glass.

Smell is quite hoppy, with juicy grapefruit, pine resin, and an intense herbal and earthy quality. It's just a bit on the weak side, and if it were more pungent and robust it'd be even better.

Taste is also full of juicy hop flavor, but it's more robust than the smell and oozing with hoppy goodness. Lots of juicy citrus, grapefruit zest, pine resin. There's enough of a malt backbone here to give some balance, but it can't keep up with the onslaught of hop flavor. Bitterness, too, is intense and lingers into the finish with some herbal and earthy hop flavor. Mouthfeel is close to full, slick and creamy and very smooth for a DIPA.

I'm not a big fan of Weyerbacher in general but this is far and away my favorite beer of theirs. Really outstanding. Can't say much more than that.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.0 A: Translucent orange amber color. Two fingers of thick creamy head. Good retention, good lacing.

4.0 S: Citrus and floral hops. Big of grapefruit in particular. A bit of woodiness and a tad bit of pungency.

4.0 T: Simcoe hops are very nice as is evident from this beer. Tangy citrusy flavor is predominant. Loads of herbal hop flavor. Grapefruit again..

4.0 M: Heavy medium body, creamy as all hell. Very nicely done.

4.0 D: Simply delicious. A good beer to drink anytime.

2.95/5  rDev -27.3%

In light of recent threads claiming this to be a top DIPA, I picked up a bottle. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a clean, clear amber. Solid one fingers width of off-white head.

S- One word, potent. The smell of fresh piney hops invade the nostrils like they are on a mission. Was able to detect a slight hint of citrus.

T- Flat out doesn't do it for me. This beer is extremely one-sided, allowing for nothing else to shine through. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge hophead, and while I love hops in the face, the taste just seems rough and unrefined.

M- I felt like my mouth was taking on a full assault. This beer was bitter and too hot for my liking. I didn't particularly enjoy the inability to taste anything after a sip.

D- Not so much. It was hard for me to enjoy this due to the unrefined hops explosion.

Overall, no balance in this beer whatsoever and that doesn't bother me. The part that bothers me is that if the beer is going to be one-sided relying on the hops profile, it should be done in way that allows for some taste. There is no taste to this beer whatsoever. All you get is a strong, bitter burn that kills every taste bud you have.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Poured a ruby grapefruit-orange with a thick, lustrious sticky white head that was moderately lasting leaving a good film lacing.

S: huge with fresh pine resin, grapefruit and dry floral notes. A sweet caramelization lingered in the background.

T: The flavor delivered a huge boutique of dry flowers and dried grapefruit and pine. The hoppiness was sticky, bitter citrus with a pungent nature at first that slowly gave way to a more gentler and kinder smoothness deeper into the drink. There was a sticky sweet caramelization trying to come through the intense hoppiness at times but it was the hopping that truly stood out flavor wise in this beer.

M: full, sticky and oily with a pungent citrus and flowery coating of the tongue leaving it perched.

D: A great drinking 2x ipa but better left for the serious. The casual pale and ipa drinker will be in for a hop shock in this one. The more you drink the more you tongue becomes numb to the initial shock and goes down much easier. Would recommend finishing the night with this one not to destroy you palate for other beers that may follow.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. It pours a hazy orange with a very nice white head. The head had excellent staying power and left a copious amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is intense pine potpouri, it hits you as soon as the cap is popped. The flavor is very heavy pine with mild citrus in it. The finish is long lingering and slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is very full and is sticky. The beer is a bit of a sipper, even by DIPA standards. One of the best DIPA's I have ever had.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

thick off white head with small bubbles amber colored beer clear bright in apperance

huge nose full of hops all piney citrus grapefruit with a sliver of malt sweetness burried under the huge hop aromas

Huge hops citrus backed up with a brown sugar malt profile, spicey hops and after more hops there are some smooth hops

Smooth creamy clean

Very drinkable beer I wish this was available closer to home

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Initial pour presents an amber hued outstanding looking double IPA. It also produces an off-white, impressive head that quickly dissipates to a thin lace that sticks to the glass brilliantly as I drink. Both the aroma and taste are very citrusy and piney. The taste is very strong hops with a malty backround. I've never had sicmoe hops before this one but it will certainly keep my interest. My 1st weyerbacher and it was a pleasent experience. I'll try some more by them.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a brilliant orange hue with some amber undertones, gtopped by a small, creamy, stark white head. Aroma of spicy Simcoe hops, with notes of pine and grapefruit, balanced by a good dose of slightly sweet, bready malt.
Palate is a sharp dose of spicy, piney Simcoe hops up front. The malt body emerges mid-palate to temper the hop onslaught just a bit, but recedes just as quickly, yielding a lasting spicy bitterness on the finish. Body is full and a touch foamy, but not too sticky. Strong and assertive, this is definitely a beer to take your time with, but I feel like I could drink a couple of these in a (very enjoyable) evening.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

This one pours out a redish orange color with a nice sized, thick off white head that fades at a slower pace and almost coated the glass with lacing. the smell is not as hoppy as i was expecting. it's hoppy alright, but there's also some pine and citrus with a touch of malts. The taste is delicious with loads of hops and a bit of citrus with malts. not too bitter, but not too sweet it's like little red with her porridge. The Mouthfeel is great with decent carbonation and a medium / thicker beer. It's amazing how well the 9% is hidden behind this one. Thanks to Zapata for this amazing beer!

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a nice cloudy copper orange color with an incredible off white frothy head that leaves some amazing sticky lacing on the glass. The aroma comes out of the gates with a strong hit of hops, a little citrus and a little pine. Nothing to crazy. The taste is delicious. Has the perfect bitterness that a beer should have. Strong hop taste to it with a little malt, citrus and pine afternotes. The mouthfeel is great. Medium to strong bodied ale and at 9% you wouldnt know it. Excllent drinkability, though it wouldnt take many of these bad boys. Must try for any hop enthusiast.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

I don't have a lot of experience iwth Simcoe hps so I wanted to pick this up to see what it's like. Pours a hazy darke orange.. like Orange Pekoe tea. Nice thin but sturdy head that just leaves an impenetrable blanket of lacing on the sides of the glass. Looks like an APA to me. Aroma is sweet yet grassy, like smelling Swedish fish. Taste is a little too bitter for my tastes, but it certainly is an IPA. Very long lingering bitterness on the tongue with some slight breadyness to both the hops and the malt. Pretty well balanced in terms of hop/malt flavor but the bitterness is quite prevalent. Mouthfeel is medium which doesn't complement the hops IMO. I'm usually against very thin IPAs but in this case I don't think it serves such a strong bittering character. This is a bitterness bomb and I'll be sipping this one for a while.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance - Cloud orangey brown with a creamy off white head.

Aroma - Freshly cut white grapefruit and pine.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied brew with light carbonation.

Taste - Sweet pink grapefruit that light up front then builds in strength through the finish.

Overall - Awesome. One of the best IPA's I've ever had.

2.93/5  rDev -27.8%

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA...from the Big Beers Variety pack.

Appearance-deep intense orange, active head that floods up, lots of carbonation, really fills up the glass.

Smell-hops, hops, hops, Simcoe aroma is intense, not really getting much else.

Taste/Mouthfeel-hop rashness, this beer is indeed one-sided. Not alot of malt flavoring, could use some more balance, I always thought I liked lots of hops, but wow. Just seems one dimensional though the flavor really isn't that bad.

Drinkability-too intense to really enjoy although you will be paying attention.

Overall-an interesting brew but not only that I really enjoyed, I found it rash and unbalanced, and I consider myself a hophead.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

We are from San Diego (Ipa capital of the world) and just tried this beer and we loved it. It has a great hop aroma of citrus. The mouthfeel is just right. The hops do not overpower the beer. Nice malty character without being to sweet. The finish is clean and drinkable. Glad to find a good Double IPA on the east coast

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.