Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.

(Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Simcoe IPA Alström Bros
StonyB

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA is now available in 4-packs. Very nice. The 12 oz brown bottle I sampled has the 9% ABV on the label, but no freshness date...

Appearance - An amazingly thick, almost solid head of 2-fingered foam. You could practically float a shot glass on it. Color is a hazy amber-bronze. Attractive.

Smell - A frontal assault of hops, both piny and floral, with some grapefruit wafting in. Not for the faint of heart.

Taste - Like biting into a hop flower. Intensely bitter, augmented partially by a wave of malt, a touch of grapefruit, and other citric fruits. Somewhat complex, more so as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - Slick and somewhat creamy texture. Definitely quite acidic thanks to those oodles of hops.

Drinkability - Well, it's very tasty, practically manna for hopheads. Hard to down several of these in a row, though.

This hop bomb puts the extreme in extreme beer. Great job by Weyerbacher, an excellent addition to the Double IPA style, and to well-crafted beer in general. Highly recommended.

09-01-2007 01:51:07 | More by StonyB
LeftyBWS

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.
A: Glowing amber in color with some brownish hues. 1.5 inches of beige, creamy head. Lovely coat of creamy lacing at first, which fades to sticky rings further down the glass. One of the best looking beers I've seen.
S: Nice mixture of the Simcoe hops with some caramel malts; both are omnipresent. Medium amount of both sweetness and floral/grassy notes. Perhaps a hint of berries?
T: Mirrors the smell very much, which is great. Typical Simcoe tastes at first, just multiplied, and they persist for most of the taste. Sweetish in the middle with a malty finish. At first, I thought the finish was weak and diminishing, but this changed for the better as the beer warmed.
M: Drying overall, with little carbonation. As the beer warmed, I could feel a strong alcohol presence in the cheeks during the finish.
D: Not bad. I could have 2, but definitely no more. Plus, I'd rather try a different hop flavor.

08-30-2007 03:21:59 | More by LeftyBWS
wagenvolks

4.6/5  rDev +13%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

As a preface, my favorite style is the Double IPA. With that being said, Weyerbacher is also one of the most underappreciated breweries in my opinion. Nevertheless, this beer deserves the high marks it's getting.

The bottle poured an attractive, amber-orange body with a tall, fluffy tan head. Faint carbonation trails were visible through the transparency of the brew. Fantastic rings of lacing were etched into the sides of the glass at the top, and since the head was so well retained, great, sticky patches of lacing ensued down the sides.

The aroma was full of piney, resinous hop notes, truly intoxicating at first. Hints of grapefruit, caramel, and white grapes also played a large part in the scent. The increasing bits of lacing, however, exuded a semi-noxious "body odor" of sorts, that interrupted the true hoppiness of the aroma further along in the drinking process.

The taste was absolutely delicious: foresty, resinous, sweet hops dominated the palate, but there was also a nice balance of malts. Citrus fruit, alcohol, and more hops finished this beer off strong. Mouthfeel detected a crisp, medium body that packed one hell of a mouth-puckering, bitter finish. It went over well at first, but eventually wore out the tastebuds a bit. All in all, Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe is amazingly complex, flavorful, and (despite the 9% ABV) quite easy to drink...if it weren't so expensive, I'd have one every week.

08-29-2007 05:06:23 | More by wagenvolks
riversider76

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a rich copper,with a one finger plus off white head. Excellent retention,and lacing. Aroma is of grapefruit,and floral hops. Body is thick,and carbonated. Taste is hopped,but there is an underlying sweetness there. Nice grapefruit finish.Excellent!

08-27-2007 23:24:48 | More by riversider76
DrinkinBuddy

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

This badboy poured a nice rich copper with a tan 2 finger head with nice lacing. Smell is predominantly floral hops with lingering grapefruit. Taste is very citrus, with nice combination of floral and piney mixture. Very impressive hops. I'm a real hophead, and this was a nice hoppy slap on the palate. Alcohol presence is a little disheartening, but nothing to cry about. Mouthfeel was surprisingly thick and malty. A very drinkable brew, but I personally wouldn't pass 2 at a session. Impressive to say the least!

08-27-2007 03:07:09 | More by DrinkinBuddy
djeffbee

4.03/5  rDev -1%

A - WOW! This monster pours a hazy deep amber with a nice fluffy head.

S: American hops are clearly present with citrus being dominating factor.

T: Very bitter (me like), but with doesn't finish dry like many straight up IPA's

M: Decent body - has a bit of a warming feeling with just the right amount of carbonation.

D: this was my first beverage of the evening - when I got off of the stool, I quickly realized it was my last one of these during that session.

Very good and innovative offering from Weyerbacher...

Cheers!

08-24-2007 00:32:28 | More by djeffbee
bosco7

Beautiful looking beer. A deep copper color with an off-white frothy head that carpets the glass with lacing.

Orange candy, grapefruit, mango, pineapple, perfume, and cedar in the nose.

Starts sweet and fruity-caramel, grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and orange. Some cedar and mint in the middle. Finish is odd- butterscotch and lots of booze. High level of bitterness that does not leave the palate. Not impressed.

Mouthfeel is big and oily. I really don't like the harshness and flavors of this DIPA (mainly the butterscotch) and I will not purchase it again.

08-22-2007 00:54:50 | More by bosco7
jockstrappy

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a burnt amber color with a small but creamy head. Aroma is nothing but hops, mainly the citrus variety. Taste follows aromas, a true hop-bomb, with a very small caramel malt sweetness in there as well. This beer finishes a little sticky, with a hop aftertaste that begs you to take another sip. Very well executed double IPA in my opinion! One of the best I have tasted.

08-20-2007 00:32:17 | More by jockstrappy
giblet

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

WOW! this poured very nicely into my glass. excellent color, carbonation and lace. the head was about 2 inches and remained throughout. excellent hop taste. finishes nice and dry with hop aftertaste. this is an excellent American Douple IPA.

very good if you like dry DIPA styles.

suckem up and movem out!!!

giblet

08-18-2007 11:37:02 | More by giblet
tempest

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Grabbed a bottle at the brewery. I have to give props for a brewery making a single-hop beer. I'm a fan.

The aroma is filled with pine, orange blossom, and perfume. The taste is a little smoother than the aroma, almost spicy like a rye beer, with a citrus rind bitterness and a bit of orange and lemon. Overall, not amazing, but different and totally worth trying. One of my favorite Weyerbacher's.

08-12-2007 01:37:25 | More by tempest
shertz

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a bottle from case dated freshest by Mar 15 08 into a Pint Glass.

A- Golden/Orange in color with BIG head, about 3 fingers. Goes down a little, but still sticks around. Unbelievable lacing. Nearly perfect in appearance. Definitely its strongest trait.

S- HOPS!! Oh, you want more. OK. Hops with orange or citrus. Some sweetness or sugar around but mostly just HOPS!! Nice.

T-Strong hop presence. Citrusy and Piney. WOW, if you like Hops, this is for you. Lucky for me, I DO!

M- Slick oil feel and numbing hops on the back of the mouth. Really nice.

D- You know, the scary part of this beer is I hardly notice the alcohol. Maybe it's just me or the full moon outside, but I think I could drink a few or 4. Hops on a hot day are just what I like even if the ABV is 9%. This is quite an awesome brew from one of my favorite local brewers.

Enjoy and Cheers,
Scott

08-12-2007 01:02:51 | More by shertz
RustyDiamond

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into the Sam Adams glass. A lovely bronze color with a cream colored head. Rather opaque, bright amber which surprised me for a dipa. Aroma of fresh hops in the summertime hit me in the nose, with a whiff of faint alcohol. Head quickly dissipates after a few sips, with minimal lacing.

Of course, very hoppy taste. Very medicine-y or syrupy might be a better word. As if they squeezed tons of fresh Simcoe straight into a glass. Very good, not much malt balance. This one is 100% hops! I maybe could have had another, but I'll save my other 3 for a rainy day.

08-09-2007 17:45:01 | More by RustyDiamond
YonderWanderer

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Pours a nice copper/amber with a fine head. Good lacing on the glass.

S: Hops! Pine and resin hops come right through. Hints of citrus in the background. A little bit of sweetness from the malt.

T: Wow. This is a hell of a hoppy beer. From start to finish, it's a grainy, piney, resiny, hop slam. Hints of citrus abound, and a little bit of malt sweetness. The alcohol is well hidden.

M: Like chewing on hops. Delicious. Great mouthfeel - nice and smooth, good carbonation.

D: I love it. I would gladly drink this again. Even with the higher ABV, you don't notice it, and if you love hops, this is a great beer.

08-09-2007 13:43:13 | More by YonderWanderer
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

4.6/5  rDev +13%

Previously reviewed from a bottle wanted to review on tap from my draft system for further reference. Served in a flaired tulip glass.

Mirky,deep copper color with a thick,dense off white towards tan colored head leaving sticky lacing down the glass. A few strings of tiny bubbles barely visible on the sides of the glass.

Clean at first with some pine,followed by a rush of grapefruit,leafy with acidic hop tastes has a sweet cloying maltiness. Sharp grapefruit bitterness that doesn't go away easily. The alcohol was pretty well hidden not an issue with this beer.

Very creamy,with a suprizing light feel that's on the dry side.

Only had a couple double ipa's on tap at the house. Most people only drink one or two. This beer got pounded,dangerous drinkabilly just ask the WVbeergeek if you don't belive me. Drink this beer with caution and enjoy

08-09-2007 03:28:52 | More by jcdiflorio
jackorain

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

A-Copper brown and hazy. 1/2 inch head, fell fairly quickly to a tall collar and thickish coating. Great lace

S-Grapefruit, sweet oranga nad tangerine, blood oranges, Pine hops and carmel malts. The citrus aroamas are quite complex for a single hop variety. The pine aroma adds depth.

T-Big grapefruit hops and bitterness up front. Carmel mlat in the middle followed by a long bitter grapefruit and pine finish

M-Creamy, oily, sticky with a nice moderate carboantion.

D-great for 10%

08-09-2007 00:04:46 | More by jackorain
GreenWBush

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

It goes without saying that I was happy to see this one. Redder than most DIPAs with streaming bubbles, a stacked head, and not just lace but chunks of head ala some Belgo-styled beers.

Nose is pine-tar hop nirvana, resin, dank, near-stingy herbal hops. Pungent akin to Dreadnaught or Ruination. Addictive to bring back to the schnoz.

Taste is a refreshing hop-smack. Bitterness everywhere, great hop flavor everywhere, a touch hot in the middle. The end is tongue-searing hop-activity. Iced-tea, lemon rinds. Interestingly aggressive. For this reason, it doesn’t quite have the instant-lovability of some easier DIPAs.

Alpha Acids? Yes. I surely can’t taste malt, my goal when going for a good DIPA. Aggressive, but with whose in its league, its gotta be.

08-07-2007 08:55:45 | More by GreenWBush
manleyphoto

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

I've had this beer on tap several times now, and I have to say that I had to let it grow on me a little bit before truly appreciating the majesty of the Simcoe goodness.

The first time I had it I was a little put-off by the aroma and the harshness of the hops, but like I said, after another go 'round I really settled into the beer. As a friend of mine put it. "this beer smells like if your family cat took a piss on your Kind bud." I couldn't agree more. The Simcoe definitely has that sharp, citrus-mixed with piney smell.

The beer is beautiful to look at. A good white creamy head with a nice golden amber, with touches of ruby, and garnet body.

The taste is seriously hop-focused but has a good bit of pleasant caramel malt body to back it up. A bit high-octane, to drink more than one or two, but a damn nice beer of you can get your hands on it.

For me, I had to work a little bit to get into this one, but they have it on draft at my local right now, and I find myself popping in to get it whenever I can.

A good beer, worth giving a test drive.

08-03-2007 23:08:08 | More by manleyphoto
franksnbeans

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours pure bronze with a thick head that sticks around permanent lacing. Looks awesome. The smell smacks me like a kinky hot broad and I love it. Spice, pine and POWERFUL fresh hops. More is there but I can’t get over how great the hops smell leaving me to focus on it. Tastes mildly sweet, the perfect amount. Hops are all over the place that are pleasantly bitter and dry. I’m beginning to realize what a great and true IPA tastes like. Not an abundance of flavors, some citrus but delicious as it is. I love this beer and will definitely put it in the starting lineup.

08-03-2007 03:38:13 | More by franksnbeans
david131

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

A- A very clear orange liquid fills the glass. A massive amount of streaming bubbles keeps the frothy head alive. Leaves some great lacing.

S- A very piney aroma but very balanced at the same time. Pretty spicy, hints of orange, grapefruit, cinnamon and more. Very aromatic- awesome.

T- Pine, orange, grapefruit. Lots of malt backing. Lots of caramel. Pretty sweet and complex. Everything just doesn't quite blend together like some of the other DIPA's though.

M- A tad dry on the finish, but not harsh. Almost creamy mouthfeel. I love a good IPA that is not astringent.

D- A very solid DIPA. For some reason I don't see myself seeking this out again. But, I am glad that I tried it and am impressed with it.

08-03-2007 01:22:03 | More by david131
Zorro

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Sampled through "I Want That" BIF 2 and mikesgroove.

Impressive in the glass. A clear bronze colored ale with a very tall off-white to tan colored head that recedes slowly. Top of the class in looks.

The scent is exceedingly spicy and hoppy in aroma pretty much like having fresh crushed hop buds shoved up your nose. Strong grapefruit, menthol, mint, eucalyptus, melon, pepper, cherry and orange. Probably more scents in this but as I mentioned this is STRONG smelling to the point that this stuns your sense of smell after a few minutes, it is that strong.

The flavor begins neutral in sweetness and very strongly hopped and bitter, there is a long lasting woody flavor. After the taste buds adapt to the shock of the hops there isn't that much subtlety or depth of flavor here, possibly because the hop level is high enough to be noticeably numbing to the mouth like clove oil. Mostly bitter and woody to the taste there is some sweet and citrus flavors here. Mild caramel in the malt and menthol and mint on the alcohol fumes it tastes like the IBUs were push a little bit beyond a threshold here to the level of stunning to the senses.

The mouthfeel is good.

Not as drinkable as could be hoped from the outstanding aroma and appearance of this beer. The flavor needs a little tuning to be among the best of this style. This is so very close to the best of its class that it only needs a slight toning down of the bitterness levels to allow more hop subtle flavors to emerge rather than stun. After on glass of this my sense of taste is quite thoroughly stunned for the night and I can't really taste anything else less powerful than this beer of a painfully spicy hot pepper. Remarkable and VERY close too truly great.

07-29-2007 06:35:39 | More by Zorro
Atlas1

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from the 12oz bottle, the Double Simcoe IPA appears copper in color, with a strong, fat, juicy head on top that commands you to take notice. Crazy, sticky lace is left in its wake, clinging to the sides of the glass, not in desperation, but rather like this was what it was born to do, as if it's taking over the world like kudzu. An intense aroma permeates from the top of my glass! I added the exclamation point on that to prove just how potent this baby is. Strong citrus and pine hoppiness, but moist and fresh, as if the hops had just been picked from the vine. (I know the Simcoe is lab-created, but damn, they did a mighty fine job in my opinion.)

The taste is rich and smooth malt up front, with a heavy sweetness that manages to distract your taste buds. But all the while, the hops are there, patiently waiting for their chance to emerge and take over, which they mildly at first, and then once and for all at the finish. Such a well-balanced double IPA should be richly rewarded for its efforts. The Double Simcoe can, at times, be somewhat syrupy in presentation, but the overall presentation is so refreshing and balanced and rich, that it simply denies its drinker the possibility of not enjoying it.

Drink this beer. Then drink it again.

07-29-2007 00:46:38 | More by Atlas1
rpguy4

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

The Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher has become one of my favorite beers. Great golden color, nice foamy head. It is hoppy but the taste is not over powering. The after taste is smoooth. An excellent beer in IMO. I usually buy the beer in a 22oz bomber, but I have
also found 4 packs of 12oz. bottles.

07-28-2007 23:45:40 | More by rpguy4
BMoney575

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Sampled on 7-26-07

Pours a clear deep amber with an enormous, foamy head that lasts ages and leaves bubbles covering the entire glass.

Smell is sweet and malty at first, and then big fruity hops all over the place.

Taste is super sweet at first, with lots of hop flavors and caramel malt, and then big-time, bitter and hoppy on the finish. An alcohol bite comes in at the end as well.

Mouthfeel is very good, super thick and hoppy.

Drinkability is good, but the huge hops add up after awhile.

Overall, a great beer. Big hop flavors and huge bitterness backed up by lots of malt. Recommended.

07-27-2007 00:55:16 | More by BMoney575
MiScusi

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks to Mjgardner for this beer.

A- major props here for a very nice looking pour. It pours a brown with tones of red and orange. The off white head is fluffy and sticks around big time.

S- Fruit and citrus bursts out of the glass. It is for sure pungent, though I can't say its my favorite sort of hop smell in the world, but no doubt it is pungent. Alcohol comes out with deep whiffs. There also seems to be a caramel sort of property hidden deep below the depths of the hops that is apparent for only brief periods.

T- Very juicy at the start. Lots of bitterness all the way through. Again, it seems the simcoe hops display themselves as very fruity and citrusy. The finish is a little dry, as opposed to the front end which is juicy.

M- Not bad, quite slick, but expected. The juiciness is always nice in a highly hopped beer in my opinion. The dryness at the end isn't pronounced.

D- Any double IPA fan can appreciate this beer. It is a different breed than other IPA's that are more floral or piney. This one comes from a different angle and you have to appreciate that. It's a good beer, to some it would be an amazing beer, but to my tastes it's just a good beer.

07-26-2007 05:53:14 | More by MiScusi
beavers

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A:Poured a beautiful rich amber into a nonic pint. A thick white head formed, which lasted its entire consumptive life. Heavy lace followed.
S: Did I just pour a Maharaja? No, wait...not such strong pineapple notes but they're definitely there...dried pine needles are strong with a slight trace of citrus. Here come the hops.
T: Mkay, that's what I'm talkin' bout. This puppy is packed with luscious hops that kick that same piney bitterness that the aroma hypothesizes. The doughy malts just barely have a say-so in this conversation, but make enough noise to be reckoned with. But those hops leave a bitter lasting impression (a compliment) that makes me chew through them after a mouthful. Alright so they weren't lying about the double simcoe.
N: A delicious IPA that I can't stop thinking about the Maharaja...which isn't such a bad thing, is it. I would recommend it to any hop baller, but knock its drinkability purely on the bitter bite the hops leave on the back of the tongue. Nonetheless, one hell of a brew from Weyerbach.

07-26-2007 04:52:48 | More by beavers
Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.