Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.

(Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Simcoe IPA Alström Bros
ProudBeerSnob

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a goblet from a bomber. Beautiful cloudy copper color with a sparse head that dissipates quickly. Great aroma of those yummy Simcoe hops and citrusakes notes.

Thick, hoppy taste, but again the citrus makes this brew more drinkabke than your average double IPA. Very complex flavors. This is a tasty version of an overly trendt style. I'll drink one again!

01-15-2007 00:22:39 | More by ProudBeerSnob
WanderingFool

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Double Simcoe IPA pours a slightly hazy copper color with a creamy white head on top. The foam dissolves slowly to a thick ring around the beer leaving behind a lot of netted lace on the glass. A strong aroma of pine and grapefruit citrus greets you before each sip.

This full bodied beer is smooth, creamy and somewhat chewy. The flavor is all hops. Mainly pine, with grapefruit citrus and orange peel. There's some sweetness in the background trying to balance out the hops, but it fails miserably. However, for such a hoppy beer it's quite drinkable. Once gone the pine and grapefruit flavors linger on the palate.

This is a terrific beer for hop heads. It's not overly bitter, quite drinkable and has a lovely aroma. I've just become a big fan of simcoe hops.

01-14-2007 21:03:28 | More by WanderingFool
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pt. 6 oz. bottle

Pours hazy caramel-colored with a towering white head that is well-retained, esp. for abv level.

The smell is of pine and grapefruit.

The taste is of chewy, thick piney and grapefruity hops. Some subtle, grainy malt holds the assertive hops together. Peppery alcohol and sharp bitterness in the finish.

It's full-bodied with a nice texture. Some creamininess.

As good as it is - and it is - the hops slap you around with an added alcohol pinch - it does get to be a bit much - slow-sipping here.

01-08-2007 22:39:37 | More by jwc215
doubleipa

Georgia

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I was really looking foward to tasting these since I love Simcoe hops in my beer. Big frothy head that mostly lasted. Heavy hops aroma, with pine, citrus, and of course, grapefruit. Very distincly Simcoe. Nice mouthfeel that coats the tongue. Long after taste.

01-04-2007 17:50:43 | More by doubleipa
dmamiano

West Virginia

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

As far as the looks of this beer....very average and normal for the style. It had a nice head with very adequate carbonation.
What first impressed me most about the "nose" was the strong malty aroma that hit me like a brick wall. The simcoe hops were trying to balance the malt and were fairly successfull.
I couldnt wait to taste it and boy, it didn"t dissapoint! The first impression that came to my mind was "WOW"! This was one whale of a beer. The strong malty backbone, balanced nicely by the large dosing of hops just knocked my socks off. For a minute I thought the beer may have been too bitter, but nah, It was right on target.
The more of this I drank, the more I wanted. My only complaint was the bottle wasnt endlesss. It was truly amazing.
I would highly reccommend this beer to anyone and hope to have more myself sometime soon.

01-02-2007 19:26:16 | More by dmamiano
Wasatch

Utah

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Special thanks to blitz134 for this one.

Pours a slightly cloudy dark orange color, nice carbonation, huge foamy off white head, tons of huge islands and sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is of sweet malts, hops a plenty, slight citrus and slight caramel. The taste follows the nose pretty much, very hoppy and sweet malty. A very nice bitter/dry finish. Medium body, well rounded brew. Very drinkable, my first Weyerbacher, hopefully not my last.

12-24-2006 19:50:52 | More by Wasatch
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

A bomber that is greatly drinkable. Just hops, and nicely malted but still on the bitter side. Must be enjoyed on its own, with another IPA would not be as much of a standout. A good IPA and not overdone double. Lace in glass, and good colour and head. Hoppy aroma, and nothing but.Had on tap a few months later and it was about the same.

12-22-2006 01:06:30 | More by Sammy
Risser09

4.93/5  rDev +21.1%

$1.75 per bottle @ the brewery. Tried the sample on -tap and thought it was amazing. fresh 12 oz bottle poured into a large snifter.

Appearance: Nice two finger head. Thick foam with large bubbles. Red/brown glow beams form the snifter. Takes awhile to dissipate. No lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Amazing. This is the best smelling beer I have ever smelled. Roses, hyacinth, pine. Creamy and smoothe but you can almost taste the hop oils and floral bouquet that is very prominent. Reminds me of dried lavendar. Smells just as good as it did out of the tap.

Taste: Wham. Bittering hops are blasting my mouth. This beer tastes more complex than it should with only 1 variety of hops. Tastes piney and peppery. Bitterness pairs extremely well with the alcohol burn (which you can barely notice, btw). Leaves a great bittering finish at the back of my tongue and uvula. Still there. will probably linger for quite awhile.

Mouthfeel: Creamy at first. Still a lingering finish. Smoothe in the mouth and throat, finishing a pinchy, peppery bitterness.

Drinkability: Great. This is the best example of an IPA I have ever tasted. Amazingly masked 9.0% abv. Creamy & Bitter. Complex. Best nose for a beer of this style. I am thoroughly impressed by this beer and I hope it remains the same.

In addition, I thought that alot of Weyerbacher's beers are too sweet but this one is perfect in the sugar area. Very balanced and manageable. I could drink this all day if I could still think after doing so.

12-17-2006 23:25:25 | More by Risser09
rayjay

Hawaii

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Via trade with zrrbrrt, with much thanks. This one pours a deep carmel copper. Featuring a full-on, white-stained-tan head, which laces my glass. Nose is full of high-alpha hops and the smell on brew day.

Creamy texture, and bitter bitterness. Boozy. Lots of tart, citrus hops. The bitterness is a bit unpleasant, akin to eating orange rind. Sticky and pungent malts remind me of unfermented wort. It has a smoked peat note that makes it similar to Irish whiskey. Not what I was expecting; not bad, but not great.

I love the brewery, but this one....too sticky, unpleasant tastes, and enough hops but not in the right way. Sorry, Weyerbacher. I still believe!

12-15-2006 00:29:33 | More by rayjay
Callenak

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

I've had this on several occasions now. My last trade I asked for three or four of these bad boys. I was shocked to find a DIPA outside of CA that really has blown me away like this one.

Pours a orange/copper color with a nice big head that dissipates quickly to just lace the glass and top of beer.

The nose on this beer is more than pleasant. Loads of hops. This beer quickly sold me on the wonder and joy of this new hop called the Simcoe. I had heard about it and seen it at some homebrew shops, but hadn't to my knowledge tried it. At least not on it's own to really pick it apart. So much comes from this one hop. Citrus, pine, earthy, all in one. Beautiful.

The taste is where she really shines. First taste is a bombardment of juicy hop goodness. The hop nectar is followed by a strange creaminess. Never had a DIPA (or single) that had this much creaminess to it. I can't believe that they would use rice in this, so I can only assume it must be some affect of the simcoe. You don't even pick up on the alcohol, you are to busy enjoying the greatness of the beer.

I'm very glad to hear this is going to become a year round beer for Weyerbacher. Only sucks I have to trade for it every time I need my fix. I was starting to think the east coast couldn't make a DIPA I could enjoy. Not only did Weyerbacher do that, they put one in my top 3. I'm actually brewing an all simcoe IPA this week. Hopefully I can do it justice.

12-12-2006 18:24:32 | More by Callenak
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Opulent ochre that glows like firelight when held up to the morning sun. This is a big looking beer that features bold, rich colors; a storm of fine yeast; and a massively creamy, brown sugar mousse-like crown that is a bigger lace monster than the head on any 9% ale has a right to be. The final pour delivers an opacity as great as any Imperial stout. Whatever else this beer does right (and I'm betting that it's plenty), the appearance was downright nailed.

Simcoe IPA would have been great. Double Simcoe IPA is doubly good. This particular hop is a permanent member of my all-time 'top 5' so it's no surprise that I love the aroma as much as I do. It has that raunchy, cheesy, earthy, zesty, cannibis-like, tropical citrusy vibe that makes me want to smell it all day long. That ain't gonna happen though because I'm too excited to begin drinking.

As I was pretty sure it would be, this is an outstanding Double IPA. I'm glad that Weyerbacher decided to go the single-hopped route because Simcoe is easily hop enough to pull it off with style. The flavor of these little green cones is simply incredible when turned into beer. How anyone can love craft beer and not love *this* craft beer is beyond me.

A massive load of (borderline too sweet) pale malt lays down a thudding bass line that says 'hit me with your best hop shot!' Thankfully, the brewers have obliged. The hop load is gigantic and, amazingly enough, threatens to overbalance a beer that has more malt than most DIPAs in the known universe. Overbalance isn't a dirty word where I come from.

The flavor profile is an absolute dead ringer for the nasal profile and is even more bombastic. Sometimes I think I overuse the word 'explosion' when describing great beer of this style, but there's no other word that comes close to capturing the density and intensity of the flavor. Detonaton perhaps?

Orange, pink grapefruit, pineapple and resinous pine sap lead the way and ride the sugary, ooey-gooey pale malt wave all the way to, and through, the finish. In fact, there really isn't a finish since the flavor lingers until the next mouthful, whenever that happens to be. Only a hint of alcohol (understandable given the ABV) keeps this beer from flavor perfection.

The mouthfeel, like everything else about Double Simcoe, is larger than life. It's as chewy as hop taffy and at least as sticky. Some might consider it be overkill--and it might be--but then overkill is another non-dirty word where I come from. The massiveness of the mouthfeel (and the sweetness) limit drinkability just a tad, even as the flavor increases it several-fold.

I feel stupid in worrying that I needed to drink this bottle of Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA before the hops faded. This sucker will be kicking for the foreseeable future. I'm thrilled to death that the brewery has decided to release it year-round and will be sure to load up whenever I travel to Ohio. Thanks to BitterBrian for this hop monster of a beer that is easily the finest offering that Weyerbacher has yet produced.

12-12-2006 17:13:43 | More by BuckeyeNation
Budlum

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

Pouring this IPA produces three fingers of sturdy, tan head that very slowly leaves a healthy layer on top of the beer. The body is a perfect amber shade mixed with brown displaying amazing clarity. Head retention is excellent. A spectacular looking beer.

The nose presents a perfect balance of piney hops with just the right amount of sweetness. A sweet, malty, honey-scented presence balances the hops perfectly. A wonderfully hoppy beer for the nose without overpowering the senses.

An explosion of hop flavors slide across the palate showing the Simcoe hop in all of its glory. Sweet, honey flavors soon follow which almost overpower the hops. A long, hop-flavored finish loaded with citrus blends with an earthy, oak taste to close things nicely.

The mouth presence is quite viscous and creamy leaving quite a coating behind after each sip. Unforunately, carbonation is practically non-existent.

Drinkability is quite for the strong hop presence and high ABV. Overall, this is more of a special occasion beer than an everyday drinker.

12-09-2006 21:20:57 | More by Budlum
jdg204

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

The best yet that I've had from the guys at Weyerbacher, quickly becoming one of my fav breweries. Got this one at the brewery as well, great place to sample and put together your own variety case.

Appearance - Very rich amber color with a beautiful white head.

Smell - Wonderful fruit flavor notes come through very clearly, citrus is especially present. Blends very nicely with the hops, which is not overwhelming considering that this is a double IPA.

Taste - Fantastic hop, fruit flavor, maybe the best tasting beer I've had in a long while.

Mouthfeel - Probably the best part of the beer. You'd expect from a brew this strong there would be a bad aftertaste, but nothing could be further. What you get is an extremey satisfying mouthfeel that leaves you wanting for more.

Drinkability - Once you start on this beer, you're gonna down it faster than any IPA you've ever had.

12-09-2006 04:23:05 | More by jdg204
flexabull

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a slightly hazy and bright amber color, with a overly big bubbly head.

Aromas are quite nice, very floral and citrus like. This has a quite fresh hop smell.

This beer has a very interesting East Coast flavor. Not at all what I usually taste here on the West Coast from an DIPA. This beer is a bit bitter up front, then fades with a sweet malty tea like finish.

Mouthfeel is quite good, the flavors linger well on the palate.

The drinkability of this one is pretty good... I like this beer. It's not among my favorite DIPA's, but still a very worthy effort, and worth a try. I just think I like the West Coast style more.

Thank you very much for the bottle Mikesgroove.

12-06-2006 04:56:25 | More by flexabull
FtownThrowDown

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a dark amber with about two inches of frothy head. Smells of course of simcoe hops and some piney smells are there as well. Beautiful lacing sticks to the entire interior of the glass. Taste is refreshing and not overly bitter. The alcohol is nowhere to be found, but can be felt.
This has a creamy mouthfeel that leaves a very hoppy aftertaste. At 9%, it's not a highly sessionable beer, but it tastes so good that you can't put it down. Very happy that Weyerbacher recently announced that this will be a year round offering. This will be a regular staple in my fridge. Highly recommend.

12-02-2006 03:05:19 | More by FtownThrowDown
ClockworkOrange

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.
A - A great pour! Slightly hazy, translucent golden orange with a magnificent two fingers of tight off white creamy foam that practically lasts though to the empty glass. Lacing is very evident with every sip.
S - Gigantic citrusy-grapefruit nose, piney, grassy, and a healthy dose of malted grains.
T - Pleasantly bitter, resinous, citrus fruits, spicy with an awesome caramel malt presence. Well balanced.
M - Full bodied with medium carbonation on the tongue. Beautiful dry finish.
D - Well all I kept saying to myself as I sipped away at this delicious DIPA was "I can't believe this is 9%" . This is one of the tastiest beers in that ABV range that I can recall ever sampling. I am grateful that Weyerbacher is only an hours drive away from my house. Plus, the recent news that Dan & Co. have decided to brew this great beer year round means that those that may have missed it on it's debut run will not be left out this time. Buy and try this beer if you see it. You will thank me.
Cheers!

12-01-2006 04:27:41 | More by ClockworkOrange
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

I officially love Simcoe hops.

This fine beer pours a hazy light amber color with a thick creamy head that never ever leaves and leaves mountanous swathes of thick lace all over the glass. The aroma is replete with tropical fruit. There is also an airy aromatic hoppiness and some sticky malts. The taste is bursting with hop fruits. I taste Pineapple, grapefruit, peaches and lychees with a good measure of pine as well. Simcoe hops are great, they have all the attributes of the C hops with many other fruity flavors. Malt is very light, way in the back, and honeyish. The mouthfeel is lighter than anticipated and well carbonated (read: lightly). The finish is very bitter but also quite sweet, in a tropical fruit way. Alcohol is very light, almost imperceptable.

This beer is way too drinkable for a 9 percent beer. It's one of the hoppiest DIPAs Ive tried, yet is also so smooth. Im extremely impressed with my first Weyerbacher beer.

11-28-2006 03:18:34 | More by CAMRAhardliner
oelergud

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Semitranslucent chestnut body, very steady head of silken undulating foam broken by rocky regions, great retention and lace.
Pretty good carbonation.
Very distinct smell I havent encountered before, must be the simcoe. Pine and grass in a gently roling buttery swirl and a faint undertone of musty wet hay.
Unique taste again must be the simcoe. Buttery, pine bitterness with abit of flower. Very delicious. Aftertaste of simcoe and slightly sweet butter.
Mouthfeel is full and thick as a nitro beer would be. Dry finish with almost no coating.
Great drinkability and not a hint at the abv in neither the taste or the smell.

-Oelergud

11-25-2006 21:53:41 | More by oelergud
cheers2beers

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Appearance: This beer poured a dark honeycomb color with an off-white head that rose up about 2 and 1/2 inches high. The head maintained its height leaveing behind a thick wall of bubbles. No beading in this one.

Smell: Has a strong hop aroma, not so much pines but more of a grassy pungent hay and cactus alovera. Sharp. A mild maltiness and just a hint of alcohol can be found.

Taste: The flavors are sweet fruits,masked by a strong hop bitterness. This has a unique hop palate to me, very interesting and distant as well. Perhaps some honey hints in there.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with high carbonation. As I poured this beer,the head grew up rather quickly it it began to overflow. I quickly grab my mug and begin to sip to calm the storm. Where am I going with this? Well, when I finally settled the beer down to a good level I realized how sticky this beer was. Sheesh I almost need a shower now.

Drinkability: I must say I am impressed with this double. I would even go as far as to say this is my new favorite double IPA! This beer had me wondering about flavors the whole time. This is a must try, two thumbs up Weyerbacher!!

Cheers2Beers

11-23-2006 22:52:02 | More by cheers2beers
edchicma

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Exceptional head and lacing after a medium to dark copper pour. Smell is intense...very piney hops with a very pleasant yeasty undertone. Taste is very intense also...high octane hops..good for the style. Mouthfeel is medium with a nice smoothness...alcohol presence is somewaht understated. Easy enough on the drinkability scale for th ehop intensity.

11-23-2006 00:59:12 | More by edchicma
SwillBilly

4.68/5  rDev +15%

Served from a 22oz bottle. Glassware Duvel Tulip.

Appearance: Pours copper in color, somewhat hazy possibly due to chill haze. Big, foamy head tops the beer. Thick, foamy sheets of lacing stick to the sides of the tulip. Very nice looking in the glass.

Smell: Hops, Hops and more Hops. Big, juicy, piney and citrusy hop aromas burst from the glass with the slightest hint of sweet fruit trying to break through, but the delicious smelling hops prevail.

Taste: A pleasant piney bitterness dominates the beginning with hints of orange and grapefruit showing as well. The middle has just a touch of a fruity sweetness then transitions to a finish that is all hops with a fantastic combination of pine and citrus again with an underlying fruitiness that leaves the mouth crisp and dry and begging for more.

Taste Addendum: After Double Simcoe warmed up considerably, the malt profile finally came through with a really nice fruity sweetness that really balanced out the big hoppiness that was present when first tasted cold. Even better once warmed up a bit.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with a crisp and dry finish.

Drinkability/Notes: Wow ! What a fantastic DIPA. Big time pine and citrus notes with just the slightest bit of malt to give it some semblance of balance. However, this is all about those delicious simcoe hops. Dry and crisp in the mouth with a bitterness that makes the mouth beg for more. Great looking in the glass with fantastic aroma qualities. Definitely one of the best DIPAs' I've sampled and glad that Weyerbacher is going to make this a year round offering since this is my last bottle. Easy to drink without any trace of alcohol in the flavor profile despite the 9% abv. Run, don't walk to your nearest store if this is around. Highly recommended. A hop heads dream.

11-23-2006 00:42:02 | More by SwillBilly
mmmbeer

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

22 oz. bomber with no freshness date. It pours an unfiltered copper with medium carbonation and two fingers of beige head that has good retention and recedes slowly, leaving nice lacing. At first the aroma is oily and soapy/perfumy with sweet malts, but I soon find passionfruit, strawberry/raspberry, grapefruit, and a cedary/woody character. A very unique smelling hop I must say. There are lots of sweet malts on the palate, making the mouthfeel almost syrupy, but the hops do their damnedest to balance, contributing all the same flavors with the addition of earthy and piney qualities. It is smooth and quite full from the start, like a barleywine, with medium carbonation and a long finish. Overall an above average DIPA, but I was expecting more of a hop bomb, as the malts are a bit too prevalent and sweet for it to be one of the very best.

11-19-2006 06:25:19 | More by mmmbeer
clvand0

Kentucky

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours an amber color with a very tall head that has nice retention and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. The aroma is, well, all hops. Lots of pine and citrus hops. Everything else seems to be masked by the hop aromas. The flavor has a lot of caramel malt sweetness, but it is followed immediately by a big hop punch. Lots of bitterness in this one as well as lots of citrus and pine hop flavors. The bitterness lingers on the palate. Not as extreme as some I've had, but it's pretty hoppy. The intense bitterness dries out the tongue. Has a medium body and good drinkability.

11-18-2006 03:42:53 | More by clvand0
FLAbeergutinMASS

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Stop. If you are in the mood for the best DIPA in the Northeast, this is it. Absolutely phenomenal. IMO, DIPA are kind of messy, this one is all types of balanced, not overly hoppy, nice warming alcohol, fruity, but not sour on the nose. Would have rated this a "5" in the mouthfeel category, but it is a little sugary. @ 9%, you've got to be kidding me. ABV to taste ratio is the best in ANY beer I've tried. OUTSTANDING beer!!!

11-18-2006 00:20:57 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev -1%

A - hyped DIPA pours a light chestnut brown, with a one and a half finger light tan head with great retention, plenty of carbonation throughout

S - piney hoppy aroma with strong grapefruit aromas, poignant aroma, sharp, but not overpowering

T - ultra hoppy piney with definite grapefruit characteristics, surprisingly smooth for such an extreme flavor and high ABV

M&D - an amazing beer, a great DIPA, definitely not for the casual beer drinker, but anyone who appreciates craft or considers themselves a DIPA fan should try this beer, worth the hype

11-17-2006 22:35:56 | More by sinstaineddemon
Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.