Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.

(Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Simcoe IPA Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

A really interesting double IPA that I quite enjoyed. My friend and I shared this bottle while brewing up a batch of homebrew -- he's more of a straightforward pale ale & lager guy, so it kind of blew his mind (oops -- so much for gradual introductions) but we both ended up really enjoying it. He admired it for what it was, and I got to try out Simcoe (which I found to be a lot like Cascade but a bit more spicy/fruity or something).

Unfortunately I don't have great notes on this, as we had other things on our mind, but it was a very hoppy but well-balanced IPA with some uniqueness added by the Simcoe hops and no flaws to speak of.

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

I've had this beer quite a few times, and it's become one of my favorites. You definitely have to be a hop lover. But for those who aren't intimidated by hops, this is your beer.

Everything about this beer screams that fruit/floral aromatic hop taste. Sort of like biting into a peach or apricot, but with a nice bitter bite that blends perfectly. It's hard not to notice the pine flavor as well. Aroma matches the beer well.

One thing that has always stood out for me about this beer is the texture. Absolutely creamy & silky. It's hard to put into words. Few beers have this type of texture. Drinkability does suffer a bit from being so bitter, but this beer is for sipping.

Overall, as I said, one of my favorites. One worth seeking out, especially if you like I.P.As. Highly recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a cloudy copper color with a great sized head head, fades slowly and leaves a good deal of lacing.

Smell is predominately hoppy with some citrus elements, probably one of the more up front DIPA's from the East Coast but also includes a nice subtle malt backbone to round it out.

Taste has a good piney hop kick to it with the bitterness to back it up, the malt lends some nice balance in the aftertaste and a bit of sweetness, the citrus does shine through though, a very fine DIPA.

3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

pours a deep cooper color with a heathy off white head.
the aroma is malty, bready, with a nice simcoe hop aroma citrus, pine, spicy.
the flavor is not what i thought it would be, but it is good, the malt is strong, the hops are a little more mellow then what i feel a double ipa should be. but it is a good beer and defenatly worth trying if yoiu like ipa's. i think i was dissapointed because i make a simcoe ipa and had an image in my mind as to how it should taste.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Would be fairly clear orange, but tiny visible particles make it a bit hazy. Huge dense bubbly 3 finger head overflowed the pint glass, and left behind frothy lacing everywhere.

S: Fresh simcoe hops are everywhere. What did you expect?

T: Spicy alcohol presence is up front, plenty of citric, floral hops jump in and stick around till the end. Some smooth caramel maltiness slides in as well. Honey in the end and in the aftertaste. Is this just a taste or is there actually any honey here?

M: Very smooth and creamy, wasn't expecting this. Tannic of course, but not like you would expect from this much hops.

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, translucent copper, thin creamy lace on top.

Nose: Sweet. Cotton candy, bubble gum, slight hint of citrus.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: Excellent taste, sweet (not quite cloying) just like the smell -- cotton candy and bubble gum -- balanced almost immediately by a nice deep bitterness that does not linger overlong. A great sweet-sour citrus afterthought is evident in the finish.

Viscous, syrupy, incredible hoppy goodness in a bottle. I will have to try to brew one like this.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Received in trade with gkatsoris. Thank you very much!

Pours a deep amber hue with slight rustic orange highlights. A decent sized creamy head showed itself very briefly and settled into a thin blanket of head that stayed for the whole beer. This beer leaves big sheets of lacing on the walls of my pint glass. The floral notes in the nose are intense for this offering. Heavy scents of wooded pine, grapefruit rind, and cannabis. The first flavors bring on a dry pine bitterness offset with a sweet caramel malt base and secondary flavors of citrus and orange rind. This is unlike, in a good way, any other DIPA I've tasted as of yet. This beer is medium bodied with medium carbonation on the mouthfeel, and does leave a very dry sensation on the finish. The alcohol is only slightly noticeable. The drinkability is very nice on this beer, and I would gladly purchase again if this were available to me in my state.

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

I have been wanting this beer for a while, got two four packs from Julio's (along with some others - Hop 15, Racer 5, etc, Gemini).

It's a nice beer, and the ABV (9%) sneaks up on you - I had it at cellar temperature so it wasn't too cold, other reviewers said they hop flavor was better a little warmer than frigde cold.

It's very good, nice smell, and very hoppy - its hop-bomb-ish but not too aggressive, it can session but its strong. I think its tastes better than alot of high ABV beers do and its fun to drink - good mouth feel, the taste is smooth, creamy - love to see it on tap somewhere.

A great pick up, its $$ for a four pack but a must have if you are like me and a big fan of the hopsters. I didn't like it enough to go past the 4.0/4.5, but its good nonetheless.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is my favorite beer. Untill maybe 9months ago this beer was only available in 22oz bottles. Since then Weyberbacher has released it in 4 packs of 12oz bottles. This is a beer made for Hopheads. It has astrong hop and strong malt flavor to it. This beer single handedly made double IPAs the top of my list.If you ever get a chance I would greatly suggest a 4 pack of these beers.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

reddish coppery amber with some haze. good head that shrinks somewhat to a thin layer on top. decent lace.

lemony rind and fresh pine with floral notes. nose is complex, especially as it warms, with hint of caramel and more malty characters making their appearance.

citrusy fruit and malty sweetness up front, with bitterness crescendo in the middle, and rides the sweetness wave into the finish albeit a little on the weak side. nice malt complexities show up in the aftertaste too. just wish it were a tiny bit more bitter - just a teensy tiny bit...

mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy. coats the tongue like the malt sweetness in the flavor does.

pretty good. i certainly get an idea of the profile simcoe brings to a beer.

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

This is one of my favorite DIPAs. Simcoe is my favorite hop variety, and once I found this brew I nearly keeled over. This is a near perfect reference beer - if you don't know what Simcoe tastes like, you will once you are done drinking this brew. I picked this up in DC at Chevy Chase Wine and Spirits.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a snifter.

Appearance - It is a hazy copper amber orange color during the initial pour. The hazy aspect was obviously chill haze as it became transparent as it warmed to room temperature. It produced a 1 finger head that dissipated to a thin halo around the perimeter of the glass. It left minimal lacing behind.

Smell - I love the smell of this one. Simcoe seems to run the gambit as far as scents are concerned. It gives off notes of pineapple, pine, grapefruit, and orange - heavy on the citrus. There is also a sweetness in the scent close to caramel or honey.

Taste - I must say that this beer needs to warm up a little bit for the flavors to fully develop - drinking this beer cold doesn't do it justice. There is a sweetness at the beginning of the flavor, very caramel-like. It evolves to a primarily citrus flavor, rich with grapefruit and orange. It shifts to a pineapple juice flavor before giving away to pine and a lingering resinous hop bitterness. Tasty.

Mouthfeel - It has a full/medium body. There is a moderate level of carbonation with extremely fine textured bubbles. The carbonation bubbles give it a creamy mouthfeel, but it is still oily as it washes over the tongue and down the throat.

Drinkability - The drinkability is awesome, I could drink this all night. You can't even tell that it has a 9% ABV until you have had several and then stand up. The mouthfeel and flavor and scent keep me coming back to take another sip. This is an awesome reference beer - although it only has one hop variety, it is far from a one trick pony - it shows that the Simcoe hop is versatile all on its own.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A-Nice reddish-brown hue. Good head and lacing.

S-Strong scent of hops backed by a faint malt.

T-Hops, but less than I would have thought from the smell. Some citrus. A little more sweet malt than expected on the finish, along with a lingering hop flavor.

M-Nice mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Full body. Heavier than average for the style.

D-Good beer, stands up well to others of the style. A little sweet for me to drink more than one.

Pours an orange/copper color with a small hed that dissipates quickly. Smell is very floral with some fruitiness. Bitter taste is noticeable at first, but not over the top like some IIPA's. Some carmel flavors and sweetness. Thought it was fairly well balanced and didn't just taste like a mouthful of hops. Medium to full-bodied but easy to drink. Worth seeking out and underrated in my opinion.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A good and interesting tasting Double IPA. Never experienced Simcoe hops as the featured flavor before. Pours a reddish cloudy amber cover with a medium sized off white head. The head fades to a covering of the glass, with heavy lacing.

Smell is floral hops and hops bitterness. Taste is bitter, some citrus and a lot of floral hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is smooth and rich. Drinkability is affected a little bit by the strong floral / sweetness. Might wind up annoying over a long haul. But for one bomber, split between me and my son-in-law, this is a fine treat!!!!

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz bottle into nonic.

Amber on the base and a thick and frothy light tan head that slowly settles to a thick cap. The settling head leaves behind a solid wall of lacing. Hazy. Solid lacing all the way down the glass.

Lightly toasted malts under a sharp and citrusy hop aroma. A touch of creaminess is in the background.

For the sharp aroma, the hops don't show up in the flavor. Not that the beer tastes bad, I just feel it falls short for its style. That malts are light and biscuity, while the hops have a mild tart grapefruit flavor. Full bodied with good carbonation. The finish is the hops slowly fading.

Not bad, but not great either. I think this one had some potential and fell short for me. Seems to be a popular beer though. I'd say try this one for yourself.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured 12 oz. bottle into 20 oz. glass. Purchased from Belmont Party Store Dayton, Oh.

A - Two finger head with good retention and noticeable lacing on the glass. Somewhat clear amber coloring with a fine particulate that floats down offsetting the rising carbonation.

S - Sweeter than I expected, but the flowery hops and citrus are present in the nose. Hints of pine and earthy-ness as well.

T - Ahh...the simcoe hops really shine through. Not too bitter, but a nice blend of bitterness and sweet malt together. Hops take over the taste buds without destroying them.

M - Creamy, slightly thick. Alcohol is barely noticeable except for the warming. Nice tickle of carbonation as the bitterness runs down the tongue. A very balanced feel!

D - Not too overpowering, with a hop blast all in one. For me, the flavor is best as it nears room temperature. The flavor changes as it warms with some toasty malt coming forward but still well behind the simcoe.

Highly recommended as a mid-point sample of an Imperial IPA...and I love my IIPA's!

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I was not a big fan of this one. I had this at the foodery in Philly and I found the orange/hazy appearance nice with a great looking head. But the aroma was kind of 'off' and 'alcoholic' for my liking. The taste was very cloyingly sweet and boozy for me as well. Mouthfeel was actually very creamy and nice, but the drinkability was somewhat killed by the off putting aroma and taste! not horrible, but certainly not one of my personal favorites either!

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

I'm sure I'd had this before but I can't recall when or where so I picked up a bottle to try. It's got a nice golden color and a great hop aroma. And the flavor doesn't disappoint. Despite it's strength, I found this very smooth and balanced from start to finish. I really enjoyed it. It's as good a bottled double IPA as I've had (most just don't seem to translate).

4.63/5  rDev +14%

This has become one of my favorites of the style. It consistently pours a gorgeous amber with a nice slight tan head. More lacing than any beer I think I have ever drank.

The nose is strong with Simcoe aromas (pine and grapefruit) and can be almost overpowering...in a good way.

Taste is clean and strong, pure DIPA...assuming you find overwhelming amounts of hops clean :-) Highly bitter, but with a nice compliment of fruitiness and a bit of malty balance.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

I've been disappointed with other weyerbacher offerings in the past, and I'm glad to report that this beer did not fall into the same category. Overall, this is a solid imperial IPA that has a hefty grain bill as well. It does however tend to be a bit 1-dimensional with such a strong focus on the simcoe, which really hurts the drinkability IMO. It's a great hop variety, but one bottle in a sitting is plenty for me.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured a hazy amber color with cascading bubbles which formed a one inch, tan head. Left lacing as it subsided. Could only pick up the strong smell of piney, citrusy hops. Tastes strongly of hops and finishes with sweet malt taste, followed by more hops adn alcohol. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with good carbonation. I think this beer is pretty smooth for such a hoppy beer. However it is heavy and high in alcohol, making it difficut to drink more than a couple at a time.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from 12oz. bottle to pint glass at JWS’s.

Pours brilliant amber/copper, thick white/tan head, 1.5 fingers thick, tons of lace. Very inviting appearance. Smell is all pine and citrus, especially grapefruit, typical of big IPAs. Hops smack you in the face immediately, full and bitter. Loads of fruit, grapefruit, lemons, hint of orange. Tons of malt sweetness to back it, caramel, with a hint of pepper spice. Finishes with an alcohol hit and a mild metallic aftertaste. Very big, full mouthfeel. A little heavy to consider it truly drinkable.

This beer is great for a good hop fix, but I think it might be that hint of metallic undertone at the end that turns me off just a little bit. I’d go for a Nugget Nectar or a DFH 90 min first. But all in all, a pretty good double IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

I’m not a big fan of Simcoe hops in general but I think this is ok. Poured a lighter copper color with good clarity . A nice soft white head that did dissipate but some remained around the ring of the glass.

The nose is hoppy with a more grassy and piney flavor nose. Some detectable lighter fluid presence that I always get with Simcoe. Malt is light but ok to style. Some lighter grainy and a husky aromas.

The taste is tangy with hops. More of a piney flavor this time then grassy and definite lighter fuel like flavors. A bigger bitterness than aroma hops. The malt really is limited in taste and is second to the hop flavor. Some solvent and phenolic flavors but blend in a weird way with the Simcoe.

Maybe they should call it “Sin”coe instead. Can’t say that I have converted but at least this is drinkable for a DIPA. Couldn’t really tell the 9%.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

The Double Simcoe pours with a thick one finger cream colored head. The body is a hazy gold with lots of carbonation floating to the head. Not great retention, but the lace sticks to the glass like concrete.

Peppery alcohol and piney hops are all I can get in the nose.

There is a quick sweet piney start. The peppery alcohol is in the taste as well, mostly in the finish. Strong bitterness from the hops throughout. This one was not as balanced as past incarnations that I have had. The peppery alcohol overpowered some of the other characteristics that I liked about the beer.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. The carbonation does tingle, but it’s hidden and covered by the alcohol and the hops.

I love this beer, but let’s call this what it is. Are you a hop-head? Looking for a hop bomb? Want a great DIPA? Like getting punched in the face? Yes, yes, yes and yes. Give this one a go. At 9% are you going to want to have more then a couple; probably not.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

12-oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Deep clear amber color, formed one finger off white head on pour, resolved into a thick layer of light foam after about 10 minutes. Good carbonation of many tiny bubbles, almost like champagne. Leaves heavy lacing.

S = Piney hops, peppery spices, traces of vanilla beans, malt notes are very light. Not as well balanced as some DIPAs, but if you like strong hops of the pine variety, as opposed to the citrus or floral sort, this is definitely up your alley.

T = Bitterness that you would expect from the strong pine smell is there in the taste from first to last and remains in a very long, enjoyable finish. After the initial pine taste, some good white pepper, not quite ripe yellow grapefruit and very light hints of roasted malt appear. However, as in the smell this is a hop bomb, it is not aiming at balance at it does not give it to you. Some complexities are there, but this is first and foremost a bitter, hoppy beer with some peppery, fruity highlights to accent the bitterness.

M = Medium bodied, with excellent mouthcoating, right level of carbonation for foaming when swished such that get good flavors and feel throughout mouth without too much foamy or unpleasant bite.

D = I find this a very drinkable beer. If you want a hop bomb it is a good one. If you like strong, hoppy beers but want more balance this probably isn't for you though.

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.