Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Simcoe IPA Alström Bros
4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

I remember hearing the rumors when this beer was in development and I could not wait to try it. Later, I had some at one the many fests that I routinely attend and thought that it was perhaps the Best of Show. Even further down the road, at a separate fest, Dan slipped a bottle into my hands (along with some other beers) and asked that I give it an unbiased review. Would I not?!? As if The Beer Pest could be bought at any price. My reputation is based on my dishonesty, but not because I am open to bribes or other enticements. I just like tweaking people.

Straight off, it produces a beautiful light-tan head that remained intact for a long while before evolving into some nice sticky lacing. The nose was floral and mildly sweetish. I read where this strain is a recent development and it put me in mind of a recent Lew Bryson blog in which he was expressing incredulousness over a marijuana-related site's review of various strains in the same terms as we use for hops. They are of the same family, actually, and the sticky lacing put me in mind of some Hawaiian that I had as a kid. The mouthfeel was almost hot with its combination of alcohol and hops, but I really dug it. I am not a session beer guy. The finish was gaspingly hoppy, really asserting itself and making me wish for a glass of water to wash it down. Oh my. I may need another bottle to make absolutely sure of my unbiased opinion.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Poured a hazy, burnt orange complexion with a thick and foaming head that maintained great retention along the sides of the glass. An appealing little number.

S: A floral and somewhat spicy hop bouquet with a citrusy tinge that was definitely enticing. Also hints of an herbal side underneath.

T: A definite punch in the mouth. The hops here seem almost too much, but interestingly enough there is a malt presence that helps smooth things over across the palate. Sweet as all hell, this baby is packed with citrusy and piney flavors that would sooth the savage hophead anyday. Think PineSol mixed with orange and lemon rind and some grass clippings from the lawn... only delicious.

M: A slick and syrupy mouthfeel, made mealy by the malt and generous carbonation. The phrase 'full-bodied' comes to mind.

D: So much depth to this beer makes it one to savor as it warms up. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but for those adventureous souls, this is a hop monster to tackle. The sweetness and bitterness will put your palate to the test, and the ABV will make sure you feel its effects. Regardless, it's still quite tasty, and maintains good flavor character, even despite being hopped like hell.

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

First time. Bought a pint sized bottle at Brawleys and sipped this one most of the night. I am just finishing it up and can say with confidence that this is now one of my favorite IPA's.

Appearance - Very nice hazy golden/copper. Dense, but very consistent. Good head retention and lacing.

Smell - Strong hops mixed with a citrus and floral overtone. Exceptional once again.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Smooth over the tongue. Bites hard but still keeps a sense of class.

Drinkability - Pint is enough for me, but I will be getting another one next week.... and then maybe next... etc.

...you get the point.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: It's a hazy, dark copper color. Very nice, foamy one and a half finger head. Retention was very good and a thick coat of lace lined the mug.

Smell: Grapefruit smell is very bitter and strong. Hops blend well with the citrusy aroma. Strong scent of pine. Hints of vanilla are noticeable, as well as a toffee malt smell.

Taste: Very sweet and bitter. Initial grapefruit provides a nice bitter taste. Piney hops kick in and really take it to the next level. Very well done. On the outskirts are the toffee malt flavors, which provide some balance. But, it's a hop bomb.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light to medium bodied. Very smooth and easy to drink, especially with the 9% abv. Leaves a wonderful, dry bitter aftertaste. Overall, this is a flat out excellent beer. If you're into hops, you must give it a try.

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Serving from a 12 oz. bottle, well within date. Reviewed 4/26/07.

On the pour, expect a beautiful amber hued beer, with an off-tan spumescent head which lasts a long time. Great sheets of lacing litterally coat the glass all the way down.

The nose is a massive smack that gets your attention immediately! The Simcoe hops, which most closely resemble ruby red grapefruit, are powerful, pungent and enticing, beckoning you to your first sip.

Taste is an affirmation of the nose: HUGE hop flavor of red grapefruit, with just enough bready malts behind it to provide some balance. This is a hop-head's delight, and a macro-brew drinker's fright! Mouthfeel is big, and dry. The 9% abv doesn't make itself known until the beer warms near the bottom of the glass. The beer finishes as it started; dry and hoppy.

Drinkability might be somewhat problematical due to the high ABV, but, nevertheless, I think I could do 2 or 3 of these in a session without problem. If you're a hop-head, this beer's for you. I highly recommend it.

Cheers

Edit: had a chance to have this again 12-6-09 ... simply marvelous. This is what a DIPA should be.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a slightly hazy orange with a decent head that left left great lacing. The aroma was dominated by pine hops with some caramel malts. The taste was a great blend of pine and citrus hop flavor against a well balanced malt backbone. The beer was medium bodied with relatively hidden alcohol. This is a very enjoyable DIPA.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

on tap at paradiso in gtown...

pours a deep orange with a bit of a white head....

smells real piney, a bit tart, but you can tell it's going to be strong....maybe a bit too alcoholic for its kind...

comes in at 9%ABV, but has a bit of tart on the end of the palate...has this sweet candy-like flavor that got me....bitter finish....

not a session beer by any means, average as far as double ipa's, a bit too tart....

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a dark amber with a nice head that sticks around as a thin cap. Pretty decent lacing as well. The smellis great-love those Simcoe hops! Nice piney and citrusy smell with baked apple, wax, and a decent but not overwhelming malt backbone. Very nice flavors as well. Same flavors as aromas, but with a long creamy, waxy, bitter finish that is especially nice. Quite fruity with citrus, cherries, and a slight meatiness.Not sweet at all, which is a nice change of pace from many dipas. Relatively thin mouthfeel, but not so much so that the hops aren't supported. This probably slightly decreases the mouthfeel score but slightly increases the drinkability. I like this beer- I'm a fan of the Simcoe hop and hope to see more offerings utilizing it. This beer is particular refreshing for a dipa, and while not my favorite in the category, its a worthy effort.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Tully's here in Maine just started carrying some Weyerbacher products. This was the first one I tried. I only hope their other offerings are this good. Poured into a tulip glass, this beer was a nice copper color with a fairly thick head. A little lacing was apparent. Aroma was citrusy, mostly grapefruit. The taste was intensely hoppy (grapefruit). This was an in your face blast; loved it. It had a resinous, oily mouthfeel. Great beer. Have one or two of these, don't drink anything else when you have this particular IPA.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

nice looking coppery colored beer, with a huge fluffy head that almost fills the snifter.
the nose is fantastically hoppy... pineapple, grapefruit, resinous pine, and sharp mango. non stp hops aside form a wisp of booziness. an alomst musty hop character.
it's got an earthy hop flavor, slightly noble in character, but mostly american. the grapefruit, pine, pineapple, and resin-y goodness are all there, but in a relatively subdued palatable way... bitter and filled with hops, but not abrasively so. i'd almost like to see this ratched up a notch, but just a notch. hints here and there of what is probably a substantial amount of malt. very dry, the taste doesn't linger long. some booze is obvious.
fuller medium body with a nice active carbonation.
i really enjoyed this double IPA with a westcoast sort of feel. definitely worth a try, the fresher the better.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

22oz bomber from Florian's. Translucent copper body with about an inch of off-white head. Citrus and pine dominate the aroma. Strong citrus/pith pine dominate the flavor, with undertones of caramel malt, just enough to support the strong hop character. No alcohol flavor present, though a bit of alcohol warming is there. A pretty well-balanced beer, though it's fefinitely hop-forward. On the lighter side of medium bodied. All this makes for a surprisingly drinkable beer for the ABV etc. A solid double IPA, and I can see getting this from time to time.

3.71/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Update, I had a bottle of this and I thought it was much more balance so I'm raising my rating significantly. While still bitter, I find it far more drinkable.

Beautiful beer--slight cloudiness with a dark amber color. The nearly white head has lasting power and leaves excellent lace on the glass.

Raw, intense hop aroma. Nearly overwhelming--it smells bitter. Extreme!

VERY BITTER. This could be the most bitter beer I've ever had. Imagine sucking on a hop pellet. The aftertaste goes on forever. This could cut the strongest hot wings. The body is smooth and not too heavy, good carbonation.

I'm sorry but this is too much of a good thing. I cannot detect malt at all. At 9%, I'm surprised at how little warmth I get from the alcohol. If you use this in a flight, I'd suggest making this one the last one.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Fresh from a keg, poured into a brandy snifter.

A- Somewhat cloudy, light amber in color, with a tan head.

S- Very flowery hoppy, citrusy.

T- Very hoppy, the alcohol was quite muted, delicious.

M- Tiny bubbles, very smooth, with a dry finish.

D- At 9% ABV, I would stick with one or two of these an evening, but otherwise very drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Pours a deep amber color, cloudy apperance that has fluffy sticky head

S: Very deep citrus falvor, faint alcohol smell ofset by floral aroma, finished by a bit of bread and a resin smell

T: At first sip hits with the taste of sweet flower, through the sip hops are stepped up and finishes with a good balance of bitter at the end

M: Thick feel that leaves an oily residue, carbonation matches well

D: Very good DIPA, My first venture out with Weyerbacher, a good drink but tough to have more than a couple of these without some serious palate cleansing

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Very dark amber cloudy body with a 1/2 in. off white head that fell after a couple minutes.Nice lacing on the glass as the beer goes down.The smell is citrus,pineapple,grapefruit and malt.The taste is awesome! POW! Bittering hop(simcoe) No floral hops in this brew it seems.Just all bittering baby!Mouthful is in between thick and thin.Very awesome,I want more.It doesnt seem as simcoeie as other simcoe beer but never falls short.Very satisfying and as it warms the hops are still bitter as a mofo! There is no stoping this hop monster! Great beer and highly recommended.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Pours an amber sunset orange color. The cool thing is you can't see through it. It also let's very little light through. This is the first lighter colored beer I've seen that's like this. Nice pale yellow pillowy fluffy head. The head looks so soft I wanna lay down in it and take a nap. Lacing that is as thick as some heads I've seen on beer. Lot's of eye candy with this beer.
Ahh mmmm. The aroma is all about the hops. Lot's of tropical fruit in the nose. Kind of reminds me of a tropical fruit salad.
Flavor is dead on the aroma, only more intense and bold. The hops are the superstar of this beer much like Michael Jordan was to the Bulls. The pale malt plays a role much like that of John Paxon or Steve Kerr. Very fruity tasting. Very bitter, yet still sweet. Alcohol is evident but it adds a bit of a spicy kick which further adds to the overall flavor profile and character of the beer. Delicious.
Mouthfeel is hop sticky and the hops wreck havock on your palate. That's a good thing imo.
It's a very drinkable beer given it's boldness.
This beer was a pleasent suprise and I'm glad it's so readily available to me. Recommended to all of the hopheads out there.

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Had this beer on tap the other night at Mahaffey's.

Maybe it's a style thing, but I have to say this is just not my particular type of DIPA.

The beer poured an impressive orange/amber color, with good head and nice lacing. On the nose I got some citrus and spice, as well as noticeable alcohol. On the one hand the hops in this beer give it something of a dry mouthfeel, but at the same time there is a considerable malt presence and plenty of alcohol on the palate. The beer is ultimately quite sweet, with lots of fruit from the hops and malt. The beer has a decent mouthfeel, but it did not come across as very drinkable. Obviously, this is a big beer, but the alchol was considerably more noticeable then it is in many DIPA's I've tried. This beer reminds me very much of the FFF dreadnaught, which IMO is not a vote of confidence. The beer was very tiring to drink due to the high (and excessively noticeable) alcohol and sweetness, and I could barely finish the one pint.

This is a good beer, but it's not a style I'm particularly fond of. Each to their own I suppose...

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

750mL bottle at the Brickskeller in DC, my first beer of the night. Apparently Simcoe is a registered trademark of Select Botanicals Group, LLC, or so says the bottle.

Pours light amber and a bit hazy with an explosive head and gravity-defying lacing. It's a beautiful sight, but one I've come to expect from a double IPA.

The nose is piney and grapefruity hops, ostensibly nothing unusual here, but something is different-- I couldn't mistake this for cascade or centennial.

The flavor is entirely derived from hops, bitter as hell obviously, but with some fruity and tropical flavors from flavor-hopping. A little late-palate sweetness, which also seems to come from the hop oils. Absolutely no malts or alcohol in evidence. The best word I can think of to describe the flavor of this beer would be "bright."

Mouthfeel is light, oily, and briskly carbonated. Drinkability is good, if your tongue can take the usual punishment.

I have seen the future of the American Double IPA, and this is it. Simcoe hops are simply awesome, and a this beer is a fantastic showcase of what Simcoe can do.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer pours an light amber, orange color with a small head, leaving a ring of small bubbles on the side of the glass.

Smell is very citric hoppy with grapefruit and some resinous smells. Next to that there is a fruitiness with strawberries and light maltiness, but this gets overruled by the bitterness.

Taste is really bitter, a sensation that activates my entire mouth. My saliva glands are working overtime. Grapefruit all over the place with some resinous, oily hoppiness. The bitterness comes across as being agressive and sharp in the back of my mouth. Alcohol is warming, but I would not give this beer 9%. Malt is pushed back by the hops and leaves just a little sweet malt. There is also a fruitiness in the beer with strawberries, peaches and mango's.
Mouthfeel is somewhat sweet and sticky, this gets worse when nearing the bottom. Aftertaste is bitter, dry and citric.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

- An expirement in hop -
Thank you Grub for sharing this 650 ml bottle, there was little - to nothing - about this beer I didn't enjoy.
Even a slow pour generated a great white head. A hazy, sandy brown coloured body. My lacing would take the form of looking like Arabic writing. Nice appearance. Nothing short of 'explosive' aroma - the Simcoes are crisp and clean. Notes of bready malts too. The flavours are excessively citruisy. The malts play nothing more than a supporting role. Some caramel. Plenty of esters - pineapple, grapefruit to much lesser extent. Strong coatings of pine, wood, and a crunching alcohol sting.
It's something like a citrus drink with serious attitude, everything about this beer is "fun". It is highly, highly enjoyable - and I think that describes it best.

---

May 2007. Sampled again off tap, at Mr.Goodbar in Buffalo, and it was FRESH, and I said WOW! This beer impresses me so very much. All aspects the same, it was just so much more vibrant, so much more lively and so very delicious. I make these notes only as testament to why I had to raise my scores. This is certainly a top favourite of mine for DIPA's.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

got this bottle in a recent trade with crwills. thanks craig!

650ml bottle.

pours hazy golden-amber colour with a thin white head. tons of lace.

aroma is great. grapefruit and pine, with a little tangerine. bit of caramel. bit of alcohol.

taste is great. assertive bitterness. tons of grapefruit and pine. light caramel and toffee. this one is all about the hops.

mouthfeel is good. moderate carbonation and a nice medium body.

drinkability is great. very well balanced, hiding its alcohol well. really enjoying this one. thanks again craig!

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy copper in color with dark orange hues. Thin white head pours one finger thick and quickly dissipates into a micro bubble ring around the edges of the glass. Decent thin lacing.

S: Sweet tropical fruit. Pine sap. Wet grass. Yeast. Sweet malt.

T: Upfront tastes of mango and grapefruit juice are immediately swallowed up by a clean citrus and pine hop bitterness. A tea like presence is followed by sweet balancing malts. Wet grass flavor and more sweetness is covered up by a slight warming alcohol.

M: Smooth and slightly slick. Minimal carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: Deceptively drinkable. Very sweet for the style. A tad one sided due to the overload of simcoe hops, but damn tasty. A simcoe hophead's dream come true!

3.94/5  rDev -3%

22oz bottle purchased from Bauer Wines in Boston. Pours a light gold with little head and just a bit of bubbles floating to the top. Decent lacing on the way down. It has the expected solid hoppy aroma. Hey, maybe this beer can be used as a teaching tool so that I will be able to identify Simcoe hops in the future... Flavour is piney - I guess there is not much of a flora quality to Simcoe hops. A good beer - but doesn't significantly stand out from even some regular IPAs. And doesn't come close to what has become my standard for this category - Stone's Ruination.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Executive Summary: While not quite as appealing as the first version, the latest batch of Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher is damn tasty. Notably, it's a feast for the eyes as well - just a beautiful ale.

Appearance: Perfectly clear amber with ruby hints. Cream-colored head, very fluffy, persisting at over a finger thick. Lacing is gorgeous.

Smell: Floral/citrus hop aroma DOMINATES, with a little sweetness embedded.

Taste: Moderate sweetness up front, grassy/floral hop flavor is up next, and a strong, but quite smooth, bitterness to finish. I don't recall the flowery flavor to the Simcoe hops, either in the last iteration of this beer or in my own creations using them, but it's here nonetheless, and I'm not sure whether I like it.

Mouthfeel: Definitely sticky, but not as syrupy as I remember it. Carbonation is moderate and appropriate for the style.

Drinkability: A pretty drinkable DIPA. Doesn't feel as stomach-filling as the last incarnation, which helps in this category. Still, it's no session beer ;)

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

I missed this one on tap back in December at Capone's (the last pint was poured as we were ordering), and it took me this long to try it - this time in a bottle. I haven't been too impressed with Weyerbacher's beers so far, but this one comes with some hype.

APPEARANCE: Pours a VERY hazy copper orange with a nice one-finger creamy white head. The head is quite strong and refuses to budge. As I drink, significant curtains of lace are present all down my glass. A picture perfect pint!

SMELL: Mmm... simcoes. Very refreshing citrusy piny aromas exude from the glass. A slight sweetness is also very detectable as are traces of alcohol.

TASTE: The taste very much mirrors the smell. It starts out quite sweet surprisingly, with flavors of grapefruit and flowers. The sweetness leaves somewhat in the finish and becomes refreshingly hoppy with a pleasant bitterness.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium full bodied, maybe a bit thicker than one would expect. A nice crisp carbonation does this beer well, though.

DRINKABILITY: Quite possibly the most refreshing and most drinkable Double IPA I've ever had. This can probably be contributed to the crisp, citrusy flavor of the simcoes. Certainly this is the most striking thing about this beer.

Okay, Weyerbacher. Nice work. This Double IPA is far from overbearing, unlike many others of the style. This would make a nice warm day beer. It feels very much like the 9% that it is, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Very nice!

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.