Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Double Simcoe IPADouble Simcoe IPA

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: yen157 on 05-05-2006

Brewed using 100% Simcoe(R) Hops, a west coast hop variety created in 2000 by Select Botanicals, Inc.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Simcoe IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,345 | Hads: 3,149
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Purchased the bomber at Sam's Quick Shop in Durham, NC. Bottle has no clear indication of date brewed.

A: Poured a robust white head. Nice lacing as the glass drains. Clear and copper/ruby in color.
S: Pungent hoppiness apparent. Just as I'd expect with this style. Citrusy
T: Sublime. Bracing bitterness hits the sides of the tongue. Aftertaste burns slightly. Overall an extremely pleasant experience.
M: Full mouthfeel. Cleansing carbonation
D: Very drinkable considering the alcohol content.

Overall, this is a wonderful beer and the best one that I have come across in quite a while. I would put Double Simcoe in the same league with I2PA, 90 Minute and Hercules which are the top double IPAs in NC right now.

Seek this beer out. It's a fine one.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz. bottle -> goblet
no date

Pours with a deep amber in the center which fades to a pale golden orange. A generous head fades to a nice thick layer of bubbley pillows. Sheets of thin lace all over the glass. Major slow moving carbonation.

Hoppy pine nose, with a blast of grapefruit and hints of peach, apricot, and caramel malt.

A fairly intriguing balance with rich juicy hops backed by a sweet malt presense. A very dry bitter aftertaste is oh so deep and lasts and lasts.

Thick full body that leaves the mouth dry and the palate numb.

A very drinkable DIPA though long sessions would probably be discouraged because of the high abv and the total palate blast residue that lingers. A bomber would probably be just right for that nightly hop jones, or a late night snack after a long work day.

3.67/5  rDev -10%

A - I don't think I could complain about this no matter how hard I tried. It pours up with about three to four fingers of gorgeous tan head that dissipates down to a half finger about about five minutes. That lingers even longer. Beastly rings of lacing cling all over the glass in layers, my glass is starting to look like the Steppes. The beer itself is a noticably viscous amber to copper brew that is devoid of any sediment. There are only a handful of bubbles rising to the surface of this brew. I am impressed by this look.

S - A pine aroma with some toffee, but mostly pine. It is rather one dimensional and not too strong, but it still smells nice.

T - I has a very strong smooth hoppy flavor. The hops are sweet, but untracablely so. It is like a fruity sugar flavor, almost akin to that of honeydew melon, but it is seems to originate from the hops themselves rather than the malt. The aftertaste is moderately bitter with a pine and grapefruit base.

M - Very thick with a very smooth feel, it isn't very refreshing, but it could be worse.

D - Well, it could be worse here. It is a bit thick and the hops make for a very potent flavor. It isn't meant for food, and one bomber is plenty, but it is good. It is a bit too sweet to score well here. The flavor will make you take the next sip, but the refrshing nature (or lack thereof) certainly won't. Double IPA isn't my favorite style, but this is an excellent example of one.

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy orange-brown color with a big foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass. The pour also creates a nice Guiness-like cascade of carbonation, which I haven’t seen too often in this style.

S: Big hoppy aroma with a minor but complimentary background of citrus & caramel.

T: Huge dose of bitter hops hit you first and dominates the taste, as it should in a 2IPA. There’s some citrus sweetness and caramelized malt present, but they have hard time getting through the hops bitterness. The balance gets a little better as the beer warms.

M: Very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, dry finish.

D: This one has the tastiness for a hophead, but I didn’t find myself drinking it quite as fast as most other 2IPA’s that I've had.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a clear medium apricot color with slightly off-white puffy head. Modest lacing. Smell is would be expected, loaded with piney grassy hops. I felt like I was in an evergreen forest. Taste is enjoyable, with strong domination by the hops. A bit lacking in the malt department, and is a bit unbalanced. Nice full mouthfeel. The beer got better with each taste, as it slowly warmed. And was at its best at rrom temperature. A nice well done beer

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a clear deep amber with a substantial head that lingers. Smells of wonderful flowery hops. Taste is reminiscent of Ballantine IPA. Never thought I'd say that. Well balanced with virtually no notice of the alcohol content. The finish is quite complex and displays some sweetness that gives way to the intense hops.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a deep burnt orange amber, crystal clear with a huge white billowy head and excessive lacing down the glass. Serious head retention... forcing me to wait to drink.
S - Apricot, mango, dripping sugary fruity citrus hops... smells great but doesn't knock you out of your chair.
T - Piney, citrus backed by carmelized malt. Peach, apricot (brandy), caramel apples, sweet but not cloying. This is very well balanced for it's strength.
M - sharp and intense bitterness gives way to smooth and oily slickness which gives everything back to the dry, crisp and intensely bitter (but not harsh!) mouthfeel.
D - DIPA's like this (and Stone's 10th) are great, but for the simple fact of the sweetness from the malt required to balance the intense hoppiness, drinkability suffers a little bit. Another cold weather drinker or nightcap. This is really nice - Great to see Weyerbacher getting the recognition they deserve - this should be readily available for me locally too which is awesome.

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%

I just got a case today and had my first one. To my understanding, Simcoe has now become a year round brew (correct me if I'm wrong). I poured into a tall glass, and witnessed an incredible head form. Like was said a couple of posts ago, there was a fruity smell. I smelt pineapple like the post claimed, but my girlfriend got a wiff of apple. The only complaint I have is that the texture left much to be offered. Overall I great beer. Don't drink and review.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to guzzle211 for the trade.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Hazy, very "thick" looking body with the appearance of apple cider. Head rose above the rim and stayed there forever. Scents of fruit hit my nose and grapefruit and pineapple came to mind. Very bitter taste from the hops with a hint of grapefruit lingering on the tongue. A medium-bodied brew that goes down rather well. Excellent.

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a 4 oz tasting glass from Weyerbacher stand at ABC Micro Fest. I had previously sampled this from the tap several times, but never made any notes...I thought ahead this time!

Pours a cloudy reddish-copper with a nice foamy head (1.5-2 inches). A huge hop kick dominates the smell, but it's blended with a citrusy-fruity mix that works wonders for the nose. And as expected, the hop kick comes through in the first sip...despite the 9.0 ABV, the brew is very well-balanced; it's very warming going down, but bounces back with a citrus aftertaste, masking the alcohol very nicely. For you hop-heads out there, this is definitely the way to go!

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured with about a finger of head which dissipated within a couple minutes. Color is murky deep golden/orange. Smells of raw piney hops and slightly sweet malt. Simply does not have the overwhelming hop aroma I was expecting... it's there, just not as much as other DIPA's I've had.

Taste is very complex with floral/citrus hop hints over a very well represented malt backbone with a detectable alcohol base lingering in the background. Lacing is sticking to the glass as this intense beer goes down.

An enjoyable beer, yet I don't think I could drink more than a bomber of this in a night. If you get the chance, give it a try. Solid DIPA.

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle a hazy amber with a huge billowy head of foam that shrunk but remained as a billowy layer for the entire session. Color me impressed!

The smell is all hoppy and fruity, as in grapefruit and that's pretty much what I was hoping for in this style of ale.

The taste is really all about the hops.The grapefruit bitterness is big and I'm finding it's hitting my taste buds on a more than positive note. Yep, if this was available locally and I needed a real hop fix, I'd turn to this one with no hesitation. And...as far as the abv goes, it's hidden pretty darned well so I'm able to tip the glass to my mouth more easily than I should be able to...;^) That says something about how well this DIPA is made by the crew at Weyerbacher.

Bottom line: I've had DIPAs that had a goodly amount of malt flavour in 'em to create a respectable balance and I've been able to enjoy those interpretations but... this isn't one of *them* and that is more than ok in my book. See it? Buy it!

My thanks to Nutbrown for "throwing" this one in in our trade!

Edit: I just received another bottle today(June 16, 2008 from fellow BA Yamar)) so I'll see if anything has changed, tastewise, since I last had this one.

Well, the big grapefruit notes are still there with a touch of grass but I'm noticing more of the malt this time, a touch of caramel and a bit of bread. More balance than I reported in my first review. Nice medium mouthfeel and it finishes with a nice bitter hop kick. I'm so glad I got a chance to try it again so I could put a few more details in this addendum to my review. Thanks Kevin!

3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Bottle courtesy of Hogtownharry: Poured a deep reddish color ale with a big foamy head with good retention. Aroma of citrus hops is pretty intense and covers the malt. Taste is also dominated by huge fresh citrus hops. Malt is certainly present but hard to taste with all the hops in there. Body is above average and beer is not over filtrated. Alcohol is well hidden. Overall, while this IIPA is very enjoyable, a better balance between malt and hops would have provided more enjoyment on my part.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy orange body capped with 2+ fingers of sticky tan foam with exceptional lacing. Nose is a stinging piney/grapefruit combo promising alpha acid overload.

Entry is devoid of carbonation but quickly brushes the insides of the cheeks. Midtaste shows a huge malty backbone while the massive hops remain off to the side while devising their plan of attack.

The finish is one very long winded hop fade with the sensation bouncing back and forth between grapefruit and floral pine.

All in all I enjoyed this beer, but it would be tough to put away more than two.

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured a cloudy, copper with an enormous tan head. The head is very persistent with large, chunky lacings.

Thick, sweet malt aroma with pine, simcoe hops and an earthy character.

This beer has a very unique flavor! Sweet and fruity up front with a nice medley of grapefruit, orange, plum and raisin mixed with a malty base. An explosion of simcoe hops quickly balances the sweetness with a bitter, palate, wrecking, delightful hoppy kick. The sweetness somehow resurfaces in the aftertaste along with a very bitter, dry finish. The alcohol taste is amazingly masked and only notable in the warming.

Lightly syrupy, with medium carbonation, this beer has a nice mouthfeel and a body that is not too heavy. Very drinkable for a DIPA.

I was looking for a hophead explosion with this one and was pleasantly surprised to find a complex flavor in addition to a hoppy brew.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

My first review!

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. A beautiful looking beer with at least a two-finger head that lasts for a while before fading to a nice cap that remains to the end. Best lacing I've ever seen, this stuff sticks and stays stuck.

Smell was very aromatic, full of floral and pine, sweet too.

The taste was all hops and the Simcoe seemed to hold its own very well, though balanced enough to not overwhelm.

Good mouthfeel, although I did find it a tad sticky. Not cloying really, but enough stickiness to lead to a big glass of water afterward to rinse my palate.

Great tasting, good drinking beer. Not devastating to your senses, but a little too much in the mouth to make me want more than one (ok, maybe two) a night.

Photo of
4.12/5  rDev +1%

Bomber. An amber/orange color, hazy, with a large ivory colored head. Aroma was all grapefruit, maybe a hint of honey. Taste follows aroma, with the grapefruit being huge. This did tone down a little as the beer warmed. A big, sweet malt backbone in the middle carried all those hops. Body was medium, with low to medium carbonation. Seems like the carbonation could be punched up just a bit. A bit drying. This is one heck of a DIPA, and I will drink plenty more of it.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a dense 2in head that leaves plenty of lacing throughout this session. Hazy amber in color.

Smells sweet and flowery with piney notes in the background.

Citrus and sweet with a pineness to it. Finishes semi-dry with a little pine aftertaste

Thick with the hops coating the mouth, but the dryness doesn't weigh this one down too much.

Good stuff.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a deep amber color topped by a thick off-white head, that lasts fairly well and leaves an impressive lace.

Sweet, sugary aroma -- candied tropical fruit. Yum.

A fairly strong, sweet, and malty beer, with some pear and mango, complimented by a big, bitter, dry hop flavor, mostly in the finish, long and dry, that just sits on the palate.

On the thick side, and generously carbonated. Despite its dryness, this is a sappy, sticky mouthfeel. Very drinkable for its size, it went away rather quickly. I'm fairly new to DIPAs, but I liked this one, I found its sweetness held in check much better than in 90 Minute IPA.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Beautiful dark gold color with a nice white two inch thick head.

Foral, grassy, earthy, hay aromas of simcoe hops. Very complex aromas. Citrus, herbs, barnyard, horseblanket. Just a plethora of complicated aromas in the profile.

Taste is rich, smooth,hoppy, chewy, acidic. Just a very complex beer. A lot going on here.

Very drinkable. Very smooth. I have always been a fan of Weyerbacher and now I'm a big fan of simcoe hops.

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%

On-Tap at kp's cellar bar.

A nice dark golden body with a creamy off-white head.

Amazing fruit aroma. Sweet grapefruit and citrus with a hearty malt backbone. Such an amazing smell of fruit, pine, and hops.

Very balanced for a IIPA, bitterness upfront but then subsides to a nice malty finish. A piney aftertaste is there but not a bad thing.

Nice balance of carbonation and the medium body.

Super easy drinking, bitterness wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Thanks to Melbatoast for the trade.

Wow was this pour perfect. Nice monster head, beautiful lacing and a body that was as attractive as Angelina Jolie's lips. It was not quite amber and not quite golden anymore.

Nose is big on pine and pineapple. It's almost like concentrated pineapple juice. The malt doesn't submit and tries to make it's presence known. We get a little caramel for it's efforts but honestly the hops definitely steal the show.

Taste starts with pine, morphs into pineapple and grapefruit and then smooths out with caramel. This is just amazing to me and absolutely perfect tastewise. The big 9% ABV is very nicely hidden.

Mouth is thick and creamy. I can just imagine how jealous other brewers will be of a mouthfeel like this. This is a fantastic IPA and easily one of the absolute best I have encountered. Weyerbacher be proud ... you done good.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Come with me, now, as I take a journey into... Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy orange-amber body with a fluffy ivory-colored head.

Smell: A wonderful, expressive nose full of juicy ruby red grapefruit, tropical fruits, pine notes and tremendously resinous, but which also displays plenty of caramel sweetness for an excellent show of balance.

Taste: A Double IPA using exclusively Simcoe Hops. There's a purity and nobility to that. Initially, chewy sweet malts full of caramel richness which leads into an invigorating explosion of green hops which are full of a pungent bitterness that never becomes abrasive. Finishes sweet with a nice spicy, hoppy bite.

Mouthfeel: A medium-bodied beer that's both oily and somewhat syrupy.

Drinkability: Weyerbacher's Double Simcoe IPA is, in many ways, orgasmic.

Except you're ready to do it again thirty seconds later.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured a dark amber color with a small, off white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma was piney, tangerine, some citrus, very juicy, resin and light toffee malt. Taste of grassy hops, lots of hops, resiny pine, some caramel malts, citrus fruits, light toffee, dry grapefruit bitterness, and light alcohol in the finish. A very good IIPA, falling just short of the world class, 4.5 score, but the best Weyerbachers done yet. Different batches produce varying results. A recent draft sample showed tons of diactyl, while the bottles are still drinking nice.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a nice cloudy amber orange with a medium sized tan head. The smell is very strong with citrus aromas dominating this beer. The taste is all hops with a citrus flavor of grapefruit, tangrine, and orange and a real bitter hop aftertaste. The m/f is medium and very well balanced making this beer outstanding.

Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.