Blasphemy - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

BlasphemyBlasphemy

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.80% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Ego on 03-10-2007

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

This is definitely a sipper!!! Beer poured dark amber with a nice sized head. Aroma of bourbon abounds, and gets stronger as the beer gets to room temp. Can't gulp this one, too stong. Could be a dessert sipper. I plan on getting to Weyerbacher to taste this baby out of the tap for sure! (288 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

First thing that comes to mind is WOW!
This is great it's kind of like a low abv bourbon boilermaker. The bourbon flavors and aromas are extremely prevalent. They mingle well with the Belgian yeasty flavors ones would expect from a quadruple. This is perfect harmony, the hops keep the sweet bourbon flavors in check while the malt is all smooth and graceful. Alcohol is a little strong on the nose but it's well hidden on the tongue. This was only 9$! For a something that is aged 2 years they could easily charge more but they don't! You have to try this if you like beer and you like bourbon. (595 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Caged and corked bottle, served in a Duvel tulip

A - pours a copper-red, a bit of sediment, good amount of off white head that leaves a fair amount of lacing

S - good amount of belgian yeast, sour cherry notes, at the end some alcohol on the nose

T - up front the sour cherries and yeast, followed by caramel and raisins

M - Not too thick, good amont of carbonation, but a bit heavy on the booze

O - I don't drink too many Quads, but this was pretty good. Maybe a bit hot with the alcohol, but other than that, I enjoyed the complexities of this beer. (558 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a murky copper with a two finger white head. Lighter then I would have expected for a quad. The head dissipated pretty rapidly. Left only a little bit of lacing, which is surprising considering how vigorous the initial head was.

Smell: Grape seems to dominate. If I didn't know better I would think I was drinking a white wine. Odd for a beer.

Taste: An alcohol burn right off the bat - the 11.8% APV is clear. The oak is evident with the alcohol, and right after that a mild sweetness. Some honey, maybe? It's hard for me to place, as the alcohol seems to dominate the beer. This is not balanced at all. Some dark fruits come out as the beer warms. It doesn't really taste like beer - more like a cross between wine and bourbon or whiskey. That doesn't make much sense, but it's very difficult to describe the taste. It's not really a bad taste...but not at all like something I've had before.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation accentuates the harshness of the alcohol. Definitely a sipper.

Drinkability: This is a tough one for me. This doesn't taste like any beer I've ever had, and the closet comparison I can think of is Dogfish Head's Midas Touch. It doesn't taste like a quad...and yet, it's still good. If I was blind-tasting this, I probably wouldn't be able to peg this as a beer. It's a good, after-dinner, sitting-around-the-fireplace sort of drink.

I can understand why Weyerbacher has stopped producing this, as I can see a very limited appeal. I wouldn't mind keeping a few bottles of this around, for special occasions. (1,597 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle (Bottled On: 05/08/14, Best By: 05/08/19) into a Rastal 2.0 stemmed glass. (initial pour was ~15oz)

A- Where I have seen bottle conditioned beers with lees that cake nicely to the bottom, this particular bottle had considerable sediment that was very easy to rouse. That said, a careful pour produced a mostly clear (with a few floaties), deep ruby color with a minimal, white, soapy head. (4.5)

S- Equally intense and complex. Brown sugary malts and a medley of Bourbon-soaked fruits: Cherry, Plum, Banana, Plum, Raisin and hints of Chocolate and Vanilla. Absolutely no alcohol is found in the nose. (5.0)

T- A blast of tart cherry and Granny Smith apple attack first, followed by brown sugar and dark fruit sweetness. Later, some oak tannin, bourbon and alcohol rise from seemingly out-of-nowhere, pushing the tart and sweet aside to dry things out. (5.0)

M- The bottle conditioning produces a pronounced (bordering on prickly) carbonation that masks an otherwise viscous beer in medium-bodied armor. Couple that with the immense flavor explosion on the palate and I find myself grabbing the glass with increased frequency. I have consumed less brazen beers that had much lower drinkability. (4.75)

O- This is another massive and massively enjoyable offering from Weyerbacher. The more I contemplate, if a Manhattan and a Belgian Dark Ale produced offspring, Blasphemy would be the result. Weyerbacher knows big beers and their barrel-aging program is sadly overlooked with Blasphemy topping the list. What's more, the value for a beer of this magnitude is ~$8/bottle and cannot think of a better BBA beer for that value. Now, if they Barrel-Aged Tiny and Merry Monks as well, I just may not seek out another brewery. (5.0) (1,758 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle poured into a snifter.

Nice amber color with a quickly dissipating head, but it laces pretty well down the glass
Aroma is sweet alchohol, not much hops to be found.
Taste is alchohol, probably a little too much. raisen sweetness and the sweet over powers any hops I might be looking for.
smooth feel on the tounge and easy going down, with just a touch of a burn.
I might be able to have one of these at a time, but there are many better options in my opinion for that type of usage. Average beer that I am not sure the oak really helps at all. (552 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

750ml bottle, poured into a white wine glass, this pours shades of gold, copper, and amber. Lighter than I expected for a Quad, with a small head that quickly results in a rim around the top.

Alcohol up front, raisins, wine grapes, some oak and vanilla notes as well as a hint of peppery spice. Oddly enough this nose reminds me of a attributes of a French Pinot Noir.

Hot, no hiding the alcohol here. Bourbon, vanilla, oak, sweet raisins, spice, and very little bitterness. Warm/hot finish.

Medium bodied, prickly carbonation, hot all around.

Overall this could have sat for a while. The 11.8% ABV acts like a watered down liquor on the throat. There are some great aromas but the taste is just very under ripe. (716 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Insanity and Heresy are both great barrel aged beers so I was very excited to pop this one open tonight.

A - Pours a deep gold with a touch of read. Nice off white head, thick but does not stic on the glass

S - The nose is candied fruit, belgian yeast and bread. A definate belgian brew from the nose.

T - Very nice mix of sweet fruit, yeasty bread and vanilla oak from the barrel. Sweet is the key word. Long finish, sweet long finish. Love the barrel character

M - Full and rich quad, low carb, sticky sweet

O - Overall a good beer. I like my barrel aged beers with a lot of barrel This has the sweetness and the barrel character bt a touch too sweet. (658 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +1%

750ml Bottle. Reviewed on 6-24-12.
Weyerbacher always does magical things when they oak age any of their brews. The only thing I see any setbacks with this brew is the appearance. This is "too clean" to be a Quad. It might be from me grading it on the first half (Since this is the 750ml Corked and Caged.) I was looking forward to an ugly brew, yet I found a clean Quad. Other than the appearance, I found this to be enjoyable. (429 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -12.6%

V.07
Very nice look - medium head that quickly finds resolve. Light perpetual carbonation, with a beautiful deep bloody amber resin-esque look, much like a barleywine/olde ale.
Nose is lacking, but I can't detect 11.8%, so that's a plus. Earth, fruit, bread - with hints of butter & vanilla.
Tongue is lead by the nose - sweet, but not overtly. Smooth, rich appeal, with a nice oak backbone.
At $8/22oz, far from outstanding. As a drink alone, it's just okay. Nothing to gush over, and nothing to run out and get. I was expecting a bit more from this troupe. (562 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Served in my Chimay goblet and poured from a bomber bottle, this 11.8% brew pours bourbon in color with a brandy tint. No head and zero carbonation. The nose was mild but vanilla notes were there but little else. The taste spoke of caramel,bourbon notes, vanilla and slightly sugary. Mouthfeel was boozy, and quite warming in the finish. This is very much a creeper as to alcohol as it hides from the taste, but also a pleasant brew. A quad? Yes, deceptive though it may be since it's about an inch away from a barleywine too. Nice effort from Weyerbacher. (556 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 22 into a tulip glass. Kind of amber copper color with a minimal head and leaves no lacing.
Smells very sweet, and kind of a peppery spiciness to it as well. Oh yeah and tons of bourbon.
Tasting sweet caramel malts, a touch of vanilla, the spiciness in there as well. Oh yeah and tons of bourbon. This stuff is hot, the bottle I'm drinking is over a year old and the bourbon and oakiness are still very dominant.
Its a little thick in chewy in the mouth, and with all that alcohol its not too drinkable. I've been working on this 22 for almost 2 hours now. Great Beer. (583 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

pours a very cloudy brown color with little to no head or lacing and flat carbonation. very heavily particulate. caramel nutty hints that the smell that is also very boozey. taste is the same with some butterscotch hints. alcohol is pretty apparent but not overwhelming. medium body with slick sticky texture. slightly bitter in the finish. seems like this brew almost has too many flavors that i can't decypher them all. tkae it easy with this brew it will jump up and bite you in the ass. (490 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%

A - A hazy brown, almost rust. Looks like it will be a complex drink.

S - Fruits like fig and prune. A touch of booze and wood too, but not too much.

T- Sweet fruits; raisin, fig, prune and even a touch of raspberry. Strong booze factor and only a touch of American oak.

M - Lighter than expected but still covers the mouth and leaves you wanting more.

O - A very tasty brew, and a good value from one of my favorite breweries. Glad they brought this one back so I could try it. The base Quad is one of the best (if not the best besides Three Philosophers) of the American style and I am glad the barrel aging helped make it a more striking beer. (650 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

The beer was great. Not as good as I had hoped but better than average. I was especting a bit more of the oak flavor but it mostly just tasted like a barley wine. I love barley wine and it fit that well, I'm just expected a bit more. I would buy and drink this again, and I have had a lot of Weyerbacher beer before, it's just not exceptional. (343 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

The beer poured a clear, dark amber with a thick, almond head into a pint glass. The aroma was of Bourbon and candy sugar. The initial taste was of sweet malt/candy sugar, immediately smothered by an enormous Bourbon-infused, alcoholic component - no attempt to mask the 11.8% ABV. Definitely a sipping beer, and would benefit from a larger malt presence to counteract the alcoholic esters. (390 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: Dark amber. Decent inch head, lots of lacing.

Smell: Oak, vanilla, rasins, molasses, bourbon. Very very nice. One of those you just love to smell and dont care if people stare at you smelling your beer.

Taste: I get a hit of the oak and alcohol at first. Very good bourbon flavor with some sugary, citrusy aftertaste. Really really complex. Warming reveals some earthy tobacco flavors. Pretty sticky.

Great sipping beer. An awesome example of an oak aged beer. And one thats better than the original unoaked version. I think this might be a little much for the uninitiated craft drinker and should be saved for special in the know people. (659 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

22 oz bomber into tulip glass. Picked this up really randomly, I've had a lot of the weyerbacher offerings but I've never had this--or the non-oak aged version of the quad. Pours a reddish mahogany, somewhat cloudy, very good amount of head. After a couple minutes it goes down but retains to a caked on layer, lots of lacing. Really beautiful looking beer, actually. Smell is dominated by oak and a lot of spice--I'm even getting nutmeg and cinnamon in there. Vaguely like a winter warmer. Some citrus notes in there as well. Alcohol present. Taste is really surprising, kind of aggressive on the sour cherry side, actually, especially for a quad. Alcohol is very noticeable, I have to admit. It's good, but it's quite a lot to handle. The usual chorus members show up in the taste as well: vanilla, oak, brown sugar, etc. Very thick body, moderate to high carbonation. Definitely good, but as the label admits, it's kind of a strange idea for a beer. Would have come together better if the alcohol wasn't so present. (1,018 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber from Hoosick Beverage in Troy NY.

First off, I have to disagree with most prior reviews. This beer is either so unique that I think it's offputting to most people, or my bottle was superfluous, or my palate is shit. Personally, I'm a fan of the unorthodox (last batch I brewed was Mosher's Jaggery Pale Ale with cardamom and fenugreek) and I definitely appreciate it when someone goes outside the mould for something intriguing such as this. Thus far i have not been blown away by Weyerbacher, but this may be their one redemption.

A - chestnut brown, 1 finger foam settles leaving lacing on the glass and surface. yeasty chunks floating about on the first pour, and I was careful! NOTE: this beer has legs! not long ones, but this is a first that i've found.

S - holy bourbon batman. where is the beer? my olfactory factory cannot find the malt or hops. this smells distinctly like bourbon, with almost no trace of beer whatsoever. maybe like a bourbon beer. i am bewildered.

T - upfront oaky whisky - rich and delicious. oak is very strong. the hops and malt play second fiddle but form the backbone, really, for the liquor flavors. bold and elegant.

M - thick and creamy. no Old Ruffian, but still good.

D - the weak point. obviously you don't drink whisky and beer at the same rate. this is a sipper, but that's what it should be. savor the flavor and the 11.8% ABV bombardment. i shared this with a friend, and although my hangover lackthereof is nice (note - i felt even better than I would have had I not drank anything) this beer is one you could really enjoy all to yourself. just...don't...move. (1,624 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into a snifter, it's whiskey colored with a strong red tint. Fairly clear, with a small to medium head that laces well.

Smells a bit like port, bourbon, and oak. I've never really picked this up from a beer before. I'm delighted.

There’s a bourbon sweetness, slight tartness and alcohol, with oak throughout. Good stuff that oak is.

It's light and sticky sweet. I'm glad I picked this one up. I'll have to grab another to age. (443 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +11.8%

Well, Weyerbacher took their Quad and aged it in oak barrels, making a fuller line of aged beers. Personally, I find Insanity & Heresy to be fantastic, but that Prophecy needs work, despite being a quality beer. This is my first tasting of Blasphemy.

22oz bottle, served in a goblet.

Like the normal Quad, it pours out like maple syrup. Deep color, minimal head. The aroma is not too strong when I sniffed it, but it does give a good hint at what it tastes like - that being dates, molasses, bourbon, and for a second, coco-butter. The closet thing I can compare it to is if the matching characteristics of a Tripel and a Barelywine were blended. Each sip is incredibly strong, not with alcohol, but the flavors masking the alcohol. Still, it's pretty easy to tell it is high in alcohol percentage. The sweetness, oddly enough, does not leave the mouth feeling dry, which is fortunate. Some might find it a bit thick, but that's really what to look for in this style. "Drinkability" is always a rough category on thick beers like this. Taking this into consideration, it turns out fairly well compared to similar beers.

Overall, I highly recommend it if you like the style. Quads, on their own, are a bit of an acquired taste, so I think the same can be said about Blasphemy. (1,286 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a La Fin du Monde Tulip

A- like a brown ale with hints of red and orange, not too much head, a thin pale tan color

S- sweet toasted toffee with hints of vanilla and cherry

T- can pick up the alcohol right off the bat but then leaves for malt and then slight bourbon taste, the alcohol hits in the chest but is more warming than hot

M- alcohol certainly noticeable but every thing else coming through masks it well, nice carbonation bite towards the end of the drink that turns into the smooth vanilla notes of bourbon

D- so great, loved the quad and love this even more (586 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle into a wine glass

Pours a hazy light brown that leaves a thick ring of head.

The smell is very sweet, lots of candied malt. Also, there is plenty of dark fruit - figs, raisins, and cherries. Reminiscent of some brandy qualities.

Taste encompasses all of the previously mentioned qualities, but adds some layers. The bourbon and oak really come out more in the taste. Also, there is definitely some vanilla. A very complex taste!

Full body and low carbonation, which works well for this beer.

Overall, it is enjoyable, and definitely a sipping beer. Big full nose and taste. I particularly liked how they integrated the bourbon barrel without it overpowering the other flavors. (689 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +6.7%

750ml bottle poured into a glass. Finally warm enough to be able to sit on my patio for this!

Appearance: caramel colored liquid with a two fingered white head on top. Vigorous bubbling action in the beer. Takes a bit of time for the head to diminish.

Smell: plums and vanilla and spices, like a normal quad, but with some bourbon notes mixed in. Happy that the bourbon doesn't overpower the base quad notes.

Taste: at first sip, it tastes like your normal quad and then... BAM. The bourbon notes come out of nowhere. This has a lot of complexity to it. Not to the level of Abt 12, mind you, but this is still pretty darn good.

Mouthfeel: pretty full bodied. Sticky. Bourbon surprisingly doesn't linger, but the sweetness does.

Overall: definitely like this. Definitely expect to be feeling this bottle later on. (817 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours dark brown with a thin white head.

Smells-Vanilla, caramel,bourbon.

Tastes- The bourbon flavor was a bit over powering. But once the alcohol flavor faded a bit there is some brown sugar/vanilla sweetness that saves the beer from being to boozy.

MF-Very boozy beer with little to no carbonation.

Overall-Better than most beer with such a high ABV. The sweetness manages to prevent it from being too overwhelming but I will probably stick to Tripels and Dubbels in the future. (485 characters)

Blasphemy from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.