Slam Dunkel - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Slam DunkelSlam Dunkel

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Risser09 on 07-15-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Slam Dunkel Alström Bros

NonicPanic, Nov 26, 2013

Tribis, Jun 16, 2012

cmiley123, Dec 30, 2011

rab53, Dec 10, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +28.1%

A-Chestnut brown...some chill haze..little head..

S-Ripe banana...cloves...then some cocoa

T-Wow....this knocks your socks off with a big cocoa flavor at first...mashed banana's and cloves are also there...I know this is cliched but kind of a chocolate covered banana flavor but not nearly as cloying as that description would lead you to think....the cloves add just enough spiciness.

M-Rich and luxurious....big bodied but at the same time easy drinking....this beer is going down fast but it feels substantial at the same time...no booziness at all...none...for that reason I'd call it a big dunkel weizen rather than a weizen bock...but whatever

D-What a masterpiece. I am following this up with a New Glarus Black Wheat which is also a classic to see how they compare. Black Wheat is a notch down in body and sweetness..maybe the Slam Dunkel would fit better as a Weizenbock...I thought Black Wheat was kind of a double dunkel too but it tastes more like a fantastic regular dunkel weizen when following Slam Dunkel. The Black Wheat is darker in color...Both are great...Slam Dunkel is the bigger of the two however...

ZAP, Jul 03, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +26.3%

Slightly hazed bronze body. Thin dirty white head. Lace is minimal. Aroma is great. Got all the weizen goodness of phenols and clove and pepper and banana with some chocolate accents and yeasty doughiness. The flavor is huge. Big base of bread pudding maltiness with fudge accents and layers of spice, banana and yellow cakiness on top of it. This is one of the best dunkelweizens I've had. Outstanding. Really like the phenolic and estery presence in this beer without becoming solventy at all. That's a fine line and it is kept in check in this beer.

Bighuge, Jun 12, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

I was shocked by how much I liked this beer. Poured from a 22-ounce bottle into my half-liter weizen glass.

A: The color of this beer is unique, in my experience -- at least for a wheat beer. It looks dense; I'd liken the color and "thickness" to coffee with a lot of cream. A vigorous pour produces a three-finger, khaki-colored head, with less retention than I expected. As the glass is emptied, persistent lacing marks each sip.

S: I get a toasted, malty, caramel scent from this one, but it's a bit repressed, especially as compared to the flavor and mouthfeel. At the end of a hefty sniff, I pick up a certain metallic note. On the whole, the nose is a little underwhelming, by comparison to other aspects of the beer.

F: Folks, this is a truly unique wheat beer. Upon my first taste, it immediately skyrocketed up my list of favorite American wheat beers (it's currently perched right behind Live Oak hefeweizen on that list). Very complex, but without the alcoholic heat usually associated with beers this big. The immediate flavor is of milk chocolate, followed by malted milk, toasted grains, and yeasty bread. With the bread, I detect some caramelized banana, just before the finish. As the beer slides down the throat, I feel a bit of warmth, which pulls in some dark-roasted coffee notes. I love it.

M: By far the heaviest, thickest wheat beer I've experienced. It's more syrupy and viscous than even vintage Aventinus, which is in many ways the closest thing I've had to this. As noted above, I get a bit of warming due to the ABV (which is relatively high for a weizen), but that's fine with me. As hefty as this stuff is, I can feel it travel all the way to my stomach. Truly extraordinary for the style. Even good dunkelweizens (like the dark offerings from Weihenstephaner and Franziskaner) don't come close to this level of density and heft -- it's almost like another style entirely.

D: I'd love to drink a bottle of this every night, and I think it'd be drinkable any time of year, but there's kind of a catch: more than one bottle would be a tall order for one session. And that's unusual for a hefeweizen. This is a delicious, utterly unique, hefty wheat beer.

Highly recommended.

UGADawgGuy, Aug 16, 2008

RBorsato, Oct 16, 2013

Jamstone714, Apr 29, 2012

cowboy83, Jun 05, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +21.1%

The head on this beer was laced with small bubbles, a remnant of which remained after the 1st tasting. The cloudy light brown hue distinguishes it as a Dunkel/Weiss beer. The smell of bread gives way to strong banana flavoring with only a hint of clove on the nose. The taste is smoothly sweet and the subtle taste of malts settles nicely for a pleasant after taste. It goes down very smooth and cries out for another tasting. One of the best double Dunkelweizens I have ever had!

jss79, Jan 19, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from the 22oz bomber bottle into the finest Belgian goblet in my collection.

Appearance- Beer pours a hazy reddish brown with a half finger of creamy clinging head that lingers long after the pour is over. Beer appears to be very thick from the haze, very inviting for my Belgian loving cloudy beer attracted taste buds.

Smell- Lots of wheat content on the nose with slight banana and much clove. This may be a double dunkelweizen, but it smells like one of the finest dunkelweizens I've stuck my nose in going by the style guidelines. Yeast is ample on the nose giving a little pink trident gum, but it is much bigger on the clove scent and low hops.

Taste- Sweet with some light fruits, great lightly smoky, chocolate wheat malts, just enough hop bitterness to give a great mouthfeel, clove and banana, wonderful yeast. Weyerbacher is doing an awesome job with this beer so far.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, medium high in carbonation, medium bodied, light on the finish, very effervescent.

Drinkability- This may come in a bomber on this side of the border, but I would be happy to have a six pack of this for the swilling needs, works great here in the summer, and I'm betting it would work well in the winter as well. An absolute pleasure to drink and I will be sure to hunt out more.

blakesell, Aug 26, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Silty dark walnut brown with a tight bleached beige crown.
Explosive aroma of banana nut muffins, caramel, plum, pepper, and clove.
Rolls into the mouth sweet, with caramel, brown sugar, and traces of vanilla nougat. A fine dust of bitter cocoa settles in. Jammy fruits arrive via plum and blackberry. It takes a doughy turn about midway, as the wheat grabs the reins, and mixes with a bit of apple-cinnamon crustiness. Bruised bananas come in spades shortly thereafter, then the yeast kicks in clove, black pepper, and a minor, minerally astringency (that evaporates as it warms, fully securing top marks, taste-wise). The finish brings a snort of sherry, and a lingering grapey sweetness, but alcohol is largely unnoticed.
Velveteen medium-full body, a tiny buzz of carbonation gives life and lift and prevents any sticky or overwrought moments.
This is fantastic stuff.

cokes, Jul 02, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Everything Weyerbacher touches turns to gold. This is a delightful beer to drink. Now, im not up on all the fancy 'beer vocabulary,' but I know this is a beer I would return to and drink on a nightly basis. Great flavor for a dunkel; better than alot of other dunkels I have drank.

nordecke, Jun 10, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +18%

Wow, The guys at Weyerbacher have got it right again with this right on style example of a dunkleweizen. This beer starts with a pour that is nothing short of picture perfect. The cloudy burnt rust colored beer is topped by a beautiful thick cream colored head. My only regret is that the head fades quickly. The nose is a great combination of banana and clove with a distinctive sweetness. The flavors play havoc with the middle, to back of your tongue, very much a clove flavor that gives way to a definite
dryness inparted by hops that do not linger too long. This is a beer that warrants going back for more.

NJBeerguy, Jun 30, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into Stella challis.

A - Eggnog beige 3-finger foamy head that lasts forever. After five minutes, there's still a large island of foam with rings of lace around the sides of the glass. Dark orange and opaque.

S - Over-ripe bananas explode from the bottle on the pour. Malt, biscuit, banana bread, apricots, with a touch of milk chocolate and bubblegum. Hint of alcohol pushes through the middle of it all.

T - Ripe bananas, caramel, and malt without being sugary. Touch of clove and other spices show up in the middle. Clean finish.

M - Creamy with decent carbonation gives way to a surprising clean palate. Solid structure and body.

D - Delicious banana beer treat, almost like something for desert, especially when there's seconds and thirds. Definitely gets better as it gets warmer, with subtle variations on the flavors showing up.

BuckeyeSlim, Nov 10, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

Thanks to moose3285 for sending me yet another winner. That's some real good beers you sent up to the frozen northern wastelands.

Maybe I'll make this Weyerbacher week, I have a few in the fridge that I still haven't tried. Up first, Slam Dunkel. Smell is very nice, lots of bananas. Taste is even better. The bananas are joined by an almost Belgian quality, making it very pleasantly sweet, & I'm a sucker for sweet.

I'm also a sucker for great breweries, & this is one of them. Why is everything Weyerbacher makes so damn good?
I could drink this all night. The 7% is deceiving as it slips easily down my gullet. I've had half a glass in the 155 seconds it took me to type this. If I ever slipped into a bar serving the Slammster, I'd sit on a stool sipping it until I fell off. I would scatter some cushions on the floor beforehand, though. I'm not stupid.

My first Weizenbock, & based on this glass, I'll happily try another.

maximum12, Jan 14, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

Who doesn't love a good dunkel?

It pours a cloudy brown. Real cloudy with a nice thick white head.

Smell is of wheat and bananas. The banana smell is real strong in this one.

The bananas continue into the taste. There's a little kick from the alcohol in the back, but mostly you get the sweetness from the banana. This is a tasty brew, and possibly one of the best dunkels I've ever had.

There's a little sour taste in your mouth afterwards, but another sip of the sweetness can cure that. I'm really enjoying this.

chemmie, Jul 12, 2008

wilfonzo, Sep 18, 2012

jdet1, Jun 23, 2013

jdash3d, Sep 09, 2014

shockrocker65, Jan 03, 2012

brandoman63, Nov 18, 2011

GrabMeAnAbbey, Dec 31, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +16%

I got this fresh from the brewery. I had i years ago and don't remember it being this good.
It pours caramel brown and very cloudy, tan head and lots of lacing.
Heavy weizen-banana smell. Like banana bread.
The banana is not as heavy in the taste, but is there at just the right amount. A sweet maibock taste is the also there.
Creamy feel makes this stuff so easy drinking. Definitely a keeper.

confer, Apr 04, 2012
Slam Dunkel from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.