Slam Dunkel - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Slam DunkelSlam Dunkel

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Risser09 on 07-15-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Slam Dunkel Alström Bros

Murky brown pour with a hint of ruby along the edges. Medium bodied with nice drinkability. Aromas are sweet bananas, spicy cloves, caramel malts, and mild yeast. The flavor is much like the nose: banana, cloves, bready, sweet malts, and a touch of alcohol. The first drink was especially smooth and creamy, but also showed good carbonation. This was better than I expected.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz. brown bottle, sent by benetoh in a 'favorites' pack a few weeks back. Congrats again, Ben, on a successful wedding & sorry we didn't meet up during your stay in Portland. Poured to a tapered weizen glass.

Laser-printed dates: '022411' & '082411'. My best deciphering says that I have, on 081711, one good week to drink before it implodes... :)

Label calls this a 'Double Dunkelweizen Ale'.

A: Gorgeous mahogany darkness; it's a tawny chocolate up top, winnowing to lighter ruby-amber at the base. So damn lovely in-between... Head is a sandy-tan topping of dense foam; initially a finger or so, then a thicker skim. Hugs the glass nicely with fading lacing ribbons - blotchy dimples in the end.

S: Sweetly honey, gently fruited and amply spiced. WOW! It's an aroma that just keeps on giving - sweet clove and unripened banana. Everything one could want in a dunkelweizen.

T: Nutty, a pinch of cocoa, then full-on malty spice. Love the vague fruitiness, the 'baked bread' darkened doughiness. Could eat/drink this all day; complex and delicious.

M: Creamy enough, but a drifting weight that borders on 'thin' in the end. 7% seems an afterthought. Just a bit of lip-smacking stickiness, but it's OK with me, style-wise.

O: Quite a tasty dunkel - all the requisite flavors and a scintillating spicing that really blurs the line between US- and German-made. You betcha I'd drink this again; thanks a lot, Ben!!!

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz bottle poured into a stemmed goblet.

Appearance- dark muddy, murky brown with reddish tint. Little to no head apparent. I see that others reviewed a billowy, frothy head, so I'm worried I may have a bad bottle. Looks flat. Some sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Smells- delicious, bready, sweet, citrusy?

Taste- if it is a bad bottle you sure can't tell by the taste. It is yummy. Spicy, herbal, bready, hearty, earthy beer. Quite nice. Very, very unique and delicious.

Overall- absolutely try this beer, I would love to get my hands on another bottle. I acquired this in a trade. Thanks Dave!

4.44/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Brown, ok head.

Smell: Big banana aroma, quite sweet.

Taste: Exactly how I like weizenbocks, a nicely sweet banana bread flavor. Not too sweet but lots of banana.

Drinkability: Tasty stuff, not sure what a 6er runs for price, but Weyerbacher is usually reasonable.

Picked up a single as I like weizenbocks and dunkel weizens. I didn't see this anywhere in 6 packs this year. The beer is excellent, I haven't had a weizenbock with this much banana flavor since Avery 13th Anniversary. Really good stuff, I hope I can find some 6ers next spring.

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%

large three finger deep head of white foamy lace. Some of the most visible carbonation I have ever seen streaming up off of this one.

Aroma was light, there was lots of grassy grain like smells in hear with a decent enough amount of yeast thrown in for good measure. full of life and grain for that matter. A very Belgian like flavor, witha good amount of light fruit like yeast and hints of pears and apples mixed in among the various grain like flavors. Blended very well with no trace at all of the alcohol inside.

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz bottle received in trade from user G311. thanks again vince! drank from my new belgium globe glass.

A- the pour is a very dark and murky brown colored body with a small khaki colored head on top. the head is made up of very tightly knit bubbles and takes its time falling. very nice start.

S- the first thing i pick out of the nose is the yeast which adds a heavy dose of bubblegum to this. after that i get some chocolate and malted wheat. very heavy on the cloves. less so on the coriander. no scent of alcohol.

T- the taste starts out with malted wheat and the heavy yeast that i could smell. lots of banana and bread. lots of bubblegum. then some milk chocolate moves in. lots of spicy clove. the alcohol remains very well hidden. earthy hops at the end. very enjoyable.

M- the body is a solid medium. the carbonation is also a solid medium. there is still little to no detectable alcohol. creamy and smooth.

O- a very enjoyable beer that is probably my favorite example of the style. id grab more of this is i had the chance. i really wish weyerbacher was sold around here.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

A winey, dry, and spicy dark wheat beer.

Quite a load of malt but offset by a big tart flavor. Reminds me of sweet vermouth with lemon topped off with seltzer. But better. Big carbonation and spritzy in the mouth. Nice lacing down the tulip glass. Attractive amber color.

After a few tastes this gets mellower with a watery flavor and the long dry, faintly bitter aftertaste. Very smooth, a flavor that goes the distance without being too sweet. I''m liking this beer more as I go through the 12 oz bottle. Great example of a malty beer that is also drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

A- Pours a nice brown color, w/ crimson streaks . Nice beautiful two finger head that lingers for a long time. Excellent lacing on the flute glass. Really nice for the style.

S- Nutty, caramel malt, banana, spices, and yeast. Excellent smelling brew from Weyerbacher.

T- Wow. Really nice beer in the style. Best American that I've had. All the smells come out and create a wonderful drinking experience. I also would never guess this beer was 7% ABV.

M- Nice and chewy w/ a great aftertaste that lingers in your mouth for what seems like an eternity. Great feel.

O- Really enjoyed this beer, although I'm not surprised coming from the brewery it does. I really wasn't expecting to like this beer as much as I did. If you like the style, you won't be disappointed by this beer, and you absolutely should pick it up.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

1/6th keg tapped @ home in dual-tap kegerator, purchased from Joe Canals in Lawrenceville, NJ. (I might add they have a great selection of 1/6 kegs for the beer snobs like myself living in central NJ).

Appearance: This was poured into a Duvel tulip style glass, which reminded me of a deep brown unfiltered apple cider with the same level of murky cloudiness. There was a likeable 1/2" frothy head with spotty lacing that clung tightly to the sides of my glass as it emptied.

Smell: I smelled sweet spiced raisins, followed by a moderate boozy, sweet ripe-banana aroma, almost dessert-like at times. I have a feeling this one is going to taste great.

Taste: Wow, what a great raisin, plum, ripe banana spiciness flavor, followed by moderate booziness. The middle catches you with cloves and mild unfiltered apple cider, finishing up again with a moderate boozy bite. I have to take another sip before I rate the "Mouthfeel" since this is so darn tasty.

Mouthfeel: Super creamy and slick, with moderate carbonation. Again, this reminded me of an unfiltered apple cider-like texture with the perfect level of carbonation.

Overall: This is my first American Weizenbock. I absolutely love the Schneider Aventinus, which is a true German Weizenbock benchmark beer. I would buy another 1/6th keg of this next year. I really enjoyed Weyerbacher's version, although this is certainly not a session beer being a 7%'er. For me, this was an outstanding, slow sipping Weizenbock that tasted even better as it warmed in the mid to upper 40 degree range. If you haven't tried the style and enjoy the mildly sweet & spicy, ripe banana taste in your beer, this is a "must try". Well done Weyerbacher, well done...

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance-Brown with a hint of golden yellow to it and a moderate cast of haze. Tall creamy head of beige to pale yellow foam has good retention.

Aroma-Very interesting, there's the expected banana esters and clove phenols, but also some black pepper phenols which add another dimension of complexity. Malt is wheaty, bready, chocolatey, and toasty like bread crusts. There is a faint whiff of alcohol.

Flavor-Sweet wheat malt, toasty brown bread crusts, and bananas blend with dry, bittersweet cocoa, clove, and light black pepper. Finish is extremely dry, and tastes like cocoa bean shells. Aftertaste has a little bit of fruit and clove, but mostly that dry, toasty bread crust/chocolatey flavor.

Mouthfeel-Medium to medium full body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, with very low alcohol warmth. Dry and almost a bit flinty in the finish, but not quite astringent.

I'm still confused by the aroma which I've labeled as a black pepper phenolic, but on the whole this is a pretty solid beer. Certainly not my favorite dunkelweizen/weizenbock, but a good offering from weyerbacher nonetheless.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

I tend to like the beers that Weyerbacher puts out, so i thought that I would give this one a try.

A: Cloudy, reddish brown, totally opaque. Fairly aggressive pour brings up a nice 2 finger head that is slow to disappear and leaves behind a nice amount of lacing.

S: Reminiscent of Belgian style beers with clove and banana notes, but underlying that is a nice deep bready aroma. The whole thing is covered with a nice sweetness. Very rich and earthy.

T: Unfortunately the taste leaves something to be desired. The sweetness hits up front, then fades into almost nothingness before the taste of good dark German bread comes through. Unfortunately that middle sections leaves me a little disappointed.

M: Medium-heavy body and a relatively light amount of carbonation makes this beer feel nice and substantial.

O: Not a bad beer. Has a lot of high notes, and delicious flavors, but the overall impression is one of an incomplete beer. The taste is just not fully balanced, but the taste that it has is thoroughly delicious.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

reviewed on 6/13/11 - from notes:

A: a very hazy mahogany with a brownish dense head. picture perfect lacing left behind.

S: butterscotch and caramel. black pepper. dark fruit, fig-like. no hops sensed as the body is malt/fruit dominated.

T: a roasted crème burlee. cloves and cinnamon. pear. a light almost salty alcohol.

M: a gentle fizz makes a medium/full body very enjoyable.

D: interesting beer. not really getting a double vibe or strength, but definitely still a tasty brew.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Weizen glass. Bottled on March 10, 2011.

Appearance: Cloudy orange-brown with billowing creamy head.

Smell: Banana, caramel and somewhat spicy with an odd cast (might be clove but just a little off).

Taste: Oodles of banana and clove. Malty backbone of caramel and sweet bread. Slightly spicy finish from the noble hops and more clove. Quite yeasty.

Feel: Somewhat spritzy body from the carbonation. Slightly creamy with a fairly dry finish.

Overall: One of the more approachable Weizenbocks I have had, and I love the spicy, drier finish. Seems more like a bigger Dunkelweizen than a Weizenbock, which seems like the same thing but it is a little different. Of course, Weyerbacher does call it a Double Dunkelweizen.

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

Everything Weyerbacher touches turns to gold. This is a delightful beer to drink. Now, im not up on all the fancy 'beer vocabulary,' but I know this is a beer I would return to and drink on a nightly basis. Great flavor for a dunkel; better than alot of other dunkels I have drank.

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours amurky brown color with some reddish or ruby high lights.
Very little head formation and nicely carbonated.

Aroma of complex malts and vague hints of banana and cloves.

That being said it is a good tasting beer with a nice malt backbone hints of bananas and cloves with some spicey yesat towards the end.
I almost believe I can pick up a slight hint of roasted malts and cocoa.

A medium mouthfeel with a tart slightly astringent finish.

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

A-pours a hazy caramel color with red edges. the head has tiny tight bubbles with a light tan color.

S-the nose is of sweet slightly cooked caramel and red apples, a little vegital and phenolic, light peppery spice transitions into candied fruit and malt sweetness.

T-the taste is slightly more green, caramel and red apples still pleasant aspect but slightly more subdued, burnt toffee and rather nutty flavors are strong, the nuts linger on the back of the palate. The finish adds sweetness, candied plums and dark fruits.

M-a bit oily, lighter body, faint dryness in the finish and soft carbonation.

D-this has some ineresting aspects and lots of flavors. slightly flabby and doesn't have the clean dry crisp finish i would have liked to see and some off vegital aromas and flavors.

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked up a four-pack at my local Wegmans.

A - A murky, hazy cocoa color, with plenty of weizen yeasties in suspension. Very nice two-finger head on top.

S - I'm picking up on the classic bananas and cloves from the yeast, mingled with something else... seems like some other dark fruit, like cherries or figs/plums. Can't wait to take a sip.

T - A whole lot of spiciness up front. It's followed by some toasty notes, some fruitiness, almost cherry-like, and a little bit of banana lingering on the finish.

M - Creamy mouthfeel, with plenty of carbonation.

O - This is my first weizenbock (sadly, too few American breweries have attempted the style). So I don't really have standard of comparison, but whoa! I think I might need to go out and buy a couple more four packs of this. Nice brew, very nice. Please Weyerbacher, make this year round! I'm seeing more dukels and weizenbocks in my future!

3.96/5  rDev +2.3%

My first Weizenbock (recently had my second, the Aventinus). A great little beer that I bought as a single at a weird little wine store by my house. Very glad I did!

In appearance, this beer has a grainy, cloudy and tan appearance with a brown head that's just a shade darker. Smells are incredibly bready with some fruity sweetness - banana and maybe a bit of apple. Taste is similar, with the bready quality coming through in the beer's appropriate medium gravity. The banana and apple tastes alongside the sweet malt work perfectly in this creamy medium.

This one was a little bit thicker than the Aventinus, and has a creaminess in place of the Aventinus's stronger carbonation. A great beer that's by no means dwarfed by the more established offerings in the style. Way to hold your own, Slam Dunkel.

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

I liked this more the first time I had it, however it still wasn't bad the second time around. This beer pours out as a a murky brown color with some head to start that fades quickly. The lacing isn't really there either afterwards. The smell of the beer smells like a dunkelweizen, its a little bit roasted with some clove and banana in there. The malts are there too to back this one up as well. The flavor of the beer reminded me the first time as a rich doppelbock, the second time it seemed more like a weizen. Not really sure if something changed or not but it was much nicer the first time around. It had way more of a malt backbone. Eitherway it's not too bad and worth trying.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Those crazy folks at Weyerbacher. They make so many really coo.l beers. Add this one. It is better than my ratings - I would buy this again.

It has an appropriately dark, malty, yeasty flavor. Very distinctive and unapologetic. It comes right out and says hello.

Like I said, the ratings are lower because of cloudy appearance and a normal smell, but I would definitely get this again.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a color identical to iced tea, nice white head that sticks around and decent lacing. First off, the aromas are great. Very sweet with lots of banana. I'm also picking up some candied sugars. The flavors are right on, once again lots of banana w/ the addition of some cloves. There's also some dark fruits in the mix. The alcohol goes completely unnoticed. I really wish this one had more body to it. Mouthfeel feels kind of thin, and finishes somewhat flat. As it warms, the aromas get better, but the flavors slightly diminish. Drinkability isn't bad, but one worked. Overall this is a pretty nice brew.

Nice job by Weyerbacher on this one. I just wish it had more body to it. Recomended if you're into dunkels/weizenbocks.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

The last beer of my beer flight. Had no idea it was a Weizenbock not a dunkel.

A - Poured a deep dark brown with an inch of fluffy white head. Looks pretty decent.

S - Slight banana and clove with a touch of bread. Some dark fruits like a bit of raisin and plum make the finish sweet. Alcohol well hidden.

M - Surprisingly smooth I found it to only have a medium body despite style and ABV.

Overall I would pick up another pint or single heck maybe even a six pack (or four pack?) A very drinkable Weizenbock. I found times I compared it to a better Church Brew works dunkel but this is more drinkable with a higher volume.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Sam Adams glass. It poured a murky, caramel brown color with a thick, frothy, khaki colored head filling the top two inches of the glass.

The aroma has a very nice malty, fruity, spicy flavor going on. I get some sweeter, malty, wheat notes to it along with some tart, apple and pear like flavors. It's got a bit of spice coming through as well.

The taste starts off with some of the Sweeter, malty, wheaty, bready flavors to it. Midway the tart, fruity flavors kick in with the apple and pear like flavor I got in the aroma. The finish shows a good dose of a yeasty spice to it along with some of the sweeter notes coming back into play.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall it was a pretty nice beer. I liked the wheat flavors a lot and the tart, spicy flavors gave it some nice balance. Very flavorful and easy drinking beer overall.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Nothing special about its appearance, but what can you really do with a dunkel? It's dark and it has an off-white head...not too tall without a lot of retention. That means it's not brewed in Germany; they do a better job of head structure and retention.

Bananas and cloves against a treacle backdrop, all in good measure...smelling very German if not exactly looking the part.

The smell really transfers to the flavor, bringing in the bananas and clove. The cloves are a little lighter than in some of the German classics, so it's not as authentic as it could be. The clove-like phenols tend to cut into the sweetness of the dark wheat. Without them this may be a bit too sweet for my taste. The grains throw too much of an earthy character as well, but the banana-like esters are quite wonderful and rescues this beer from itself.

Like a classic dunkel, it drinks lighter than it looks and there's not much aftertaste. compared to the German masters, Weyerbacher doesn't stand up. Compared to the American efforts to replicate this style, they've done a really nice job.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Serving type: bottle into a Stella Artois glass

Pours a dark amber, caramel color with what started as thick head. The head quickly dissipated to nothing at all, including no lacing. But it seems like this is common with wheat beers. Aromas are dominated by clove which is expected. Also has some nice caramel and dark fruit notes with some toffee and hints of the banana that comes with the yeast.

Flavor is definitely more like butter with some hints of dark fruit or raisins. Some clove but it's really dominated by the butter that, if i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, is really caramel. Hopefully not diacetyl. So does have some flavor complexity. Where it suffers immensely is in the mouthfeel and drinkability. Body is extremely light with a high carbonation level. I get it, it's a wheat beer but i feel like this should have more body. This high carbonation level makes it less drinkable for mine. It just doesn't make me want to take another sip.

Overall, this is a so so beer. It has it's good points but the carbonation level just kills it for me. It really ruins what could've been a really good beer. It could be that the style is supposed to be that and maybe i just don't like the style.

Slam Dunkel from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.