Twelve - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

TwelveTwelve

good

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Barleywine |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: Risser09 on 07-15-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 211 | Reviews: 171

4.62/5  rDev +26.6%

Thanks to, ah, the various BAs who've helped in my Weyerbacher collection quest. sholland119, milwaukeeclassic, & beerloco were all kind enough to send me some Twelve. Gee, hope I like it.

Smell is overpowering. Candied fruit & a riptide of booze come lashing out of the pour before my pint glass is half full. Smell is much more like a Belgian than a barleywine. Interesting start.

I have to struggle not to let my love of Weyerbacher color the first taste but...wow. The rye adds something oddly subtle to this barleywine, leavening the sweetness, but not cloyingly so. Another sip. Mmmm. My wife's eyes light up when she takes a sip, too.

Weirdest thing, I can barely detect the alcohol. But I can feel it, except it's defying gravity, blitzing up into my head rather than warming my chest cavity. That can't be good. For the ABV, I've already had about a third of the bottle. Slow down.

Glad I have a couple more bottles downstairs, would have been interesting to try fresh. Big points for uniqueness, more points for just being yummy.

4.62/5  rDev +26.6%

The initial pour seemed flat; a small strip of foam tops the glass ... but wait.... beneath the surface is a vibrant sea of suds slowly working its way to the top until exploding into a thick and foamy crown that falls back leaving a heavy lathering of lace.

Once settled into a golden clarity, it almost shrouds a constant stream of carbonation bubbles rising to the top while emiting a faint but sweet nose of orange.

The well balanced taste provides a fine blend of orange (again) and a subtle bready malt. This has a nice structure where no single ingredient overwhelms another.

This is a highly drinkable quaff that earns respect. Just take your time and slooowly sip it.

Twelve is not the lonliest number.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Nearly 4 years old I decided to go for it during the epic weyerbacher tasting!

thick brown, though you can see some light through it, no head and a nice lace top it off. Smell is hopped for sure, but with a subtle sugary undertone, and a hint of alcohol too. Taste is not very strong at all. There is the natural piney hoppness you would expect from a barley wine, but not too strong, there is also a sugary, nuttiness about it as well. The alcohol is there, and that keeps this a sipper. It is actually nicely carbonated, and not harsh going down, has the warm feeling on the way. Overall this was a good brew, I would not mind having another and certainly kept me warm this evening.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

4.44/5  rDev +21.6%

Enjoyed in a pint glass while watching the 2008 VP debates.

A: Moderate pour yields lazy bubbles that eventually coalesce into 2/3 finger of white head with decent retention. Chill hazy copper is a very light color for a barleywine. Pretty though, and I am actually glad it is lighter.

S: Clean and bright nose is almost lagery in its crisp clean lines. I caught a brief intense Werther's caramel candy whiff...then it was gone, come back! There it is again, amazing!

T: Light malt body, buttered toast, caramel chew. Such a delicate, eggnoggy/ nutmeg flavor. Alcohol does not get stronger with warming amazingly. This is an exceptional beer that I wish was a year round offering.

M: Syrupy and chewy. I think I finally get what "chewy" means. Slightly phlegmy as well.

D: Deceptively strong, but so tasty! The alcohol is the only negative in this category.

4.43/5  rDev +21.4%

Yay, another anniversary beer from Weyerbacher! Served from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A rather clear golden color with an off-white head that cimb up and up. Minute bubbles don't look they are going anywhere soon. Plenty of carbonation is coming from the bottom of the beer towards the surface. Lacing drenches the sides of my glass.

Smell: Initially, lemon and lime, astringent and clean. Smells of wheat but that could be the rye coming through. Magnum hop smell, wild in nature.

Taste: Big and bold. You can tell this is a barleywine by the nature of the flavors. But, it is unlike other beers I've had before, let alone the rye ones. Sweet flavors of anise, ginger, and citrus are strong but there is a definite hop finish. This is a very fresh bottle so I'm getting this beer in the raw.

Mouthfeel: I think this is where this beer excels. Extremely smoothe initially, followed by a hop bitterness and alcohol burn in the throat. the creaminess that the rye gives is sublime. Initially this beer hits your mouth with no carbonation and seems rather tame but oh does it turn on you. Very nice.

Drinkability: Overall, I feel like this is a job well done. However, being so fresh and complex, I feel like this beer takes you on a rollercoaster of tastes and mouthfeels. I bet in 5 years the hops will mellow greatly and the true sipper that Twelve is will have it's day in the sun. Very,very good beer that takes beer to another place. Good job Weyerbacher.

4.38/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rye Barleywine.
What a unique idea.

Poured a golden orange with a nice sticky full inch of off white foam.

Aroma is very floral and fruity with some nice sweet amber malt and just a hint of lemony citrus hops.

Taste is almost honey like sweetness mixed with some fruit...apple mostly and then a nice spiciness from the rye before it finishes to a lemon peel citrus hop bite. The honey sweetness (no, I don't think there is really honey in this brew) works really well with the rye spiciness creating a very unusual balance.
EDIT: As it warms, the apple gives way slowly to apricot.

Mouthfeel is creamy and almost thick across the tongue as you swallow. Alcohol is surprisingly missing from this high ABV brew.
EDIT: As it warms, alcohol becomes more apparent.

Congratulations Weyerbacher on your 12th Anniversary and I am very happy to celebrate with you by indulging in this wonderful example of your craft.
NOTE: These edits take place an hour and a half after I first opened this bottle. I absolutely LOVE a beer that can evolve into an entire evening.

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber into a pint glass. Many reviews said this was a bit hot, so I waited around a year, and I'm not sure how I even did that. But here it goes. Into a Chimay chalice.

Appearance: I figured the glass would be good for the bigger and sweeter aroma I was going to encounter, but it seems like the last few times I've used this glass, there's hardly any semblance of head or retention that forms. Is this normal with a chalice? Beautiful light copper color with hints of amber on the color side, though, with nice full carbonation seemingly shooting up from the bottom.

Smell: Rye with some huge candied sweet and sour fruit. Not your usual barley wine for sure. Tart apples, sour cherries, grapefruit, all coming together without the flavors from yeast, but I imagine mostly from the rye. A little heat from the booze too, but welcomed and complex.

Taste: Almost some Belgian-like or wild ale characteristics sans yeast, since the taste includes lots of balanced fruit and sourness -- minus the spritzy carbonation of something like a Belgian -- with sour cherries, tart apples, tart strawberries, sweet oranges, and some bitterness from what seems like some nice hops curbing the sweetness at the end. Finishes long, sweet, balanced by some sourness, and tons of flavors on the tongue. A pretty weird and wild barley wine.

Mouthfeel: Full and heavy-bodied with an almost candy-coated like carbonation. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's creamy, not chewy, full enough to be big without being cloying, and works well with the complexity of all the flavors.

Drinkability: Glad I waited to try this, though I can't necessarily confirm any changes. However, since there's a tad bit of heat both in the aroma and the taste from the booze, maybe it was full-on a year ago, and for me barley wines are something I try as much as possible to keep around for a year anyway, even though that usually doesn't happen. If you've laid one down, give it a shot now. My taste buds seem to be magnetized to pretty much every big beer Weyerbacher does at this point. And for that I'm thankful.

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%

Received 2 bottles of this recently, one from kudashov (this one, 12 oz), the other from guinnessdoc. (bomber) Thanks again!

Pours a crystal clear gold color with a very faint white head.

Aromas... whoa! This is a pungent brew! Boozy, dessert wine like sweetness and alcohol smell. A bit of spice on the nose as well, I am enjoying just smelling this one.

Taste is surprisingly not that strong or overpowering. But still quite nice. Reminds me of a wheat wine. Definitely boozy and sweet wine like, but without a big kick from the alcohol. Underlying malty sweetness that is subtle, and not too overpowering. Creamy, nutty, and spicy too. Finish has a dry snappy bitter kick with a touch of rye.

Mouthfeel is nice. Very clean, crisp, yet still with a lot of body and thickness.

Drinkability is good. I am definitely in the minority on this one, but I like it! And I am very happy that I have a bomber of this that I can age for a while. A very unique and tasty beer!

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

I had this out of an aged 22 ounce bottle (2 years).
A- Brown, rusty color to it. Small bubbles. Limited head and some lacing.
S- Nice rye malt scent to it.
T- Well carbonated. Very strong rye malt taste to it. Full bodied, extremely strong taste of alcohol, probably because of it being aged. Extremely high quality beer.

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%

poured into a brandy snifter

A - poured hazy orange with slight foamy head leaving minimal lacing

S - bread pudding, raisins, malt, syrupy sweet, alcohol

T - raisins, mild alcohol, spicy, bitterness, bready

M - syrupy, mouth filling, leaves a coating in your mouth

D - very drinkable, could have more than one in a sitting

4.27/5  rDev +17%

This one is all over the place, but I don't find that to be a bad thing.

Part of my free schwag from EBF 5.

I never find Weyebacher labels to be that eye-catching.

Appearance is unexected. Pours like a cloudy lager. Very light. Carbonation is active. Head gradually dissipates to lace the side of my glass, but remains strong.

Aroma is Spicy. A bit of grassy hop smell.

When imbibed the hop attack is immediate. Bit of coffee like bitterness is present as well. Sweet malt is overpowered by higher ABV and strong hops, but is to my liking. the middle is fruity, like a grapefruit, very citrusy. Spicy hops and warming alcohol greet the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick, which melds all these complex flavours together and holds them in the mouth.

Very drinkable for ABV. Sweet malt lessens the edge as you drink.

A very complex brew, worth your tasting.

4.26/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance - pours very thickly, more like a thin honey than a thick beer. Orange apricot color, a small cream head above. Looks to be fading fast but leaves a solid layer of lace behind. The top does end up pretty bare before long. Some good bead, the bubbles are moving slowly, fighting their way through what looks to be a pretty viscous liquid. Following a sip, the bubbles slide down the glass with a shimmer and rejoin the beer below. Beautiful.

Aroma - sweet, some spicy fruit. Mango, yeasty. Hard to place but makes my mouth water.

Taste - twang of sweet and alcohol in the fore. The rye is spicy, candi sugar enhancing things nicely. The swallow turns to the hops briefly. Some tobacco flavor here with the mild bitterness and abv sting. Ends with a pinch of rye malt, a decent length to the aftertaste. Awfully hot, but I do like it.

Mouthfeel - didn't feel real thick when I started, but as I go along, the body is building! This has a thick viscous feel. The carbonation can't help but be muted by the bigness, I enjoy the elements here.

Drinkability - fresh barleywines aren't always my thing, but the last two in recent memory, this one and ST Backburner, really make a statement that fresh bw's can be great. I have one more but something tells me an extra in the cellar wouldn't be a bad idea.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Picked up a bottle of this "new to me" beer from Weyerbacher at State Line the other day. Very yummy stuff.

The beer pours a hazy, viscuous looking orange color, with decent head retention and good lacing. On the nose I get quite a bit of sweet orange citrus, intermixed with a couph drop sweetness. On the palate this beer is very impressive indeed. The Rye in this beer helps to really cut through the sweetness, giving it a much more hoppy and not too sweet finish. Flavors consist of orange, cherry and vanilla, but with some refreshing bitterness and citrus from the hops and rye. This beer is full bodied, but not heavy or syrupy. There is nice soft, mouthfilling sensation, and the beer has a long, smooth finish. The 10.2% is well disguised, though you can certainly tell this is a BIG beer.

This is a very impressive effort and is not like any other barleywine I have ever tasted.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

poured into a snifter,this beer is a honey color amber and is very viscous with a nice fluffy whitehead. the head retention was pretty good and left some nice lacing.

smell has a strong rye spiciness to it along with faint honey,slight floral and alcohol.2 years has done this beer well,strong rye body with a nice amount of spice.slight honey like sweetness,finishes clean with a slight amount of alcohol warming.hops have definately mellowed out over the 2 or so years,as there is just a slight amount of bitterness. mouthfeel is very viscous,low carbonation.

i'm guessing this beer was a pain in the ass to brew because of the huge amount of rye.i wish this was released somewhat frequently.gonna have to pick up another bomber if i can find one.

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

Immediately after trying this, it was obvious that this beer was meant to be aged. It's been close to a year, so might as well try it out again.

It's definitely much better than the previous tasting. The beer poured into a viscous liquid with suspended carbination. Aroma is sweet, slightly fruity, but more like a sap from a pine tree. Taste is similar, but with a bit more depth. While the previous tasting was overwhelming, things have calmed down a bit. The texture is excellent, quite chewy, and leaves no negative effects on the pallate. Very whiskey-like.

Overall, an excellent experiment which needed to be aged to get the most out of it. No idea how more time will effect this one. If you have a bottle of this, you might want to try it out now.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Bright honeyed orange in colour, brilliant clarity. The quarter inch of off-white retains decently and laces the glass. There's rye bread and brown sugar in the aroma, as well as some dried fruit. It also has a boozy, alcoholic quality to it. There's a spicy edge to the flavour, and it tastes fruity; like raisins or prunes. There's a mild nuttiness similar to almonds and just the slightest hints of butterscotch and vanilla. There's a very faint woody bitterness in the finish. The alcohol and residual sweetness are noticeable, but neither are overpowering. The spiciness reminds me of the one roggenbier I've had, but seriously amped up. Full bodied with a sticky, syrupy mouthfeel and velvety carbonation. I was warned that this is a bit of a booze bomb, but maybe the three-plus years its spent in the bottle has mellowed it out a little, taming the alcohol somewhat. I found it pretty easy to make my way through a bomber of this aged barleywine. I feel like I lucked out finding a stray bottle of this in a convenience store back in June of this year. Delicious.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

A: Pours a very light and clear stale orange color with lots of carbonation and no head.

S: Light fruity aroma, fresh apples and oranges.

T: Very sweet and pungent oranges with some grapefruit. Palate is very sweet and syrupy, with some honey sweetness and thick viscosity. Alcohol is extremely well hidden behind the big sweet syrupy malt palate with some honey and melon hints. Finishes clean with some fresh fruit (melons).

M: full and viscose, syrupy on the tongue with warm apple cider alcohol.

D: despite high abv% this was fairly easy to drink. great big beer with lots of sweetness.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

L: Pours an orange amber color with a thick and tall white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Very complex nose as it is a mix of malts, fruits, and yeast aromas all mixed in one. A whiff of alcohol at the end of this one.
T: Very bold and complex flavor as well. Nice mix of sweet malts, dark fruits, citrisy fruits, yeast aromas, and then a bit of alcohol at the end of this one.
M: Very thick and warming.
D: Pretty drinkable considering how much alcohol is in it and how complex the flavors are. I could probably have only 1, but it sure is a good 1.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Found this at a small suburban store while on a recent trip to OH. I was extremely curious to see how this aged, especially since you don't find a lot of bottles like this still sitting on shelves.

A-Translucent amber/copper color. About half a finger of head on the initial pour. Didn't get a lot of sediment as some have posted. No lacing but a small ring of head stays around the outside of the glass.

S-Sweet and dry. I haven't had an American Barleywine in a while and it isn't exactly as I remember. Didn't get a pungent alcohol aroma, probably mellowed over time by the rye.

T-Went extremely well with my homemade spicy chili. Fairly sweet for a barleywine and very complementing to the heat in my chili. Alcohol is present but not overpowering. Almost a mild, bitter raisin flavor.

M-Full body without sticking to the mouth.

D-Very drinkable. Would have picked up more had I known I would enjoy it this much.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

This bottle courtasy of gford217. Thanks for the extra!

Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an oversized snifter.
Transparent, color is a darker copper. Forming a 1 finger off white head. Leaving spotty thin streaks of lace and a thin white layer of retention.

Some alcahol warmth at the knose. Bready carmel apple strudelrol, with toffee and roasted grain aroma. Picking up a good amount of sweet honey like aromas too.

Its sweet up front with carbonation throught. More toffee, caramel and honey like flavors. Roasted grains and mild alcahol warmth. Hop bittering comes into the swallow and lingers with grassy pine. Finishing dry with a good linger of bread and hops.

Absolutly delicious!

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Served as a medium amber colored beer with modreate slightly off-white head. What surprised me was the weight of the glaas. The beer was very thick and heavy, and I knew it would be potent.

There are nice rich malt notes in the nose, with an abundance of fruit character.

Taste also has a strong malt background, and it is unbelievebale that there is 10% alcohol in this beer because it is some smooth and tasty.

Leaves a strong sweet malt flavor in the mouth.

This beer is way to drinkable for its strength. It really catches up to you quickly.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Twelve from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.