Twelve - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

TwelveTwelve

good

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Barleywine |  10.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Risser09 on 07-15-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Weyerbacher Twelve pours a light copper with a nice head that follows down the glass with a nice lacing. Aroma is lots of pale malts, some rye and metallic hops. The flavor hits with a sharp sweetness not quite balanced by bitter hops. The sweetness is followed by spicy rye flavor. Alcohol comes through in the finish, but not too strong. This beer is a little too sweet to be overly drinkable, but its a decent offering. I'm surprised to see a barley wine released in the summer, but I'm not complaining.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

This interesting Barley Wine poured an uncharacteristically dark gold color. Very nice 2 inch head of off white dense bubbles which left some islands of lace with each sip.

The smell was interesting. No doubt the generous usage of rye contributed to this. Complex aromas including tropical fruits as well as raisins and a rum like booziness. Bready yeast notes as well. Unlike the usual American barley wine, the piney hop resins on the nose were no where to be found.

My initial sips were greeted with a cloying sweetness which turned into a hot booziness. The tropical fruits were there as well, which further enhanced my feeling that it had a dark rum like quality about it. Rum soaked raisins, spices and a weird sweetness, which faded into a hot alcohol finish as I exhaled after each sip. The citus hop notes seemed to blend into the tropical fruit/hot rum flavors to me. I scored it above average in taste as there were certainly some complex flavors going on. However, I'm not sure about how some of them mesh.

The mouthfeel was the star of the show. A velvety slickness coated my mouth with each sip. It was very rich and luxurious, and fit the complexity of this beer well.

As of now, the drinkability is not there yet. Just too sweet and hot. Both of these will fade with time in my opinion. I have a second bottle that I'll sit on and revisit in the future to see if this smooths out.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Couldn't wait to try this one- my first rye barleywine. Weyerbacher never really dissapoints- this could be pretty good...

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a wine glass....

A- A goldeny orange color- think of a dark yellow color- not much head, some lacing. Noticable bubbles of carbonation throughout.

S- Smelled of sweet fruits, rye, and strong alcohol.

T- As a reviewer stated before me, this one tastes like a very strong belgian ale mixed with a barleywine. A lot sweeter than I expected- the first sip kind of threw me for a loop.

M- Mouthfeel was carbonation and alcohol- this one burned the hell out of my throat.

D- Big sipper here- because of the strong alcohol notes, I would not recommend finishing this in a sitting.

I still do not know what to think of this. I'm sure if I cellared one and popped it open at a later date it would taste much better once the alcohol settled. Glad I tried it though.

Weyerbacher is always innovative...

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a cloudy orange with no head. In the nose was a dry rye and alcohol smell. In the taste was rye, and a dry fruitiness. I was expecting more barleywine/ plum-ish taste, but the rye hid that nicely. A dryer mouthfeel and alcohol was left on the palate. Higher alcohol, but a great rye presence. Changes a barleywine nicely.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Light Golden pour with a thick creamy white head, looks moderately carbonated lots of bubbles floating around well after the pour

Has a strong Belgian nose lots of soft alcohol aromas slightly sweet smelling.

The taste is sweet and lots of alcohol and the rye crispness is defiantly there the entire time

Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a nice bite to it from the rye

This one kind of threw me for a loop not really knowing what a rye barleywine tastes like. The entire time it felt like I had really nice Strong ale in the Belgian style. Would be a great session beer ;-)

4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Julio's, Marlboro, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1" off-white head over the golden brew. Thick dense head lasts tremendously, with heavy lace. Aroma is spicy dough. Taste starts thickly sweet, goes spicy yet fruity in the middle, and closes dry with ample warmth. Mouthfeel is smoooth, with easy drinkability for such a high abv beer. Could definitely congratulate Weyeberacher with Twelve a few times. Cheers!

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

12oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

I first had a taste of this a week ago at the Iron Hill Big Bottle Bonanza; I picked up two 12oz bottles as a result of the tasting

Smell, Wow, just smells great. Grapefruit, honey, rye, and a faint hoppy-ness round it out

Taste, follows suit. Strong citrus tang from the hops, grapefruit, orange, and that great rye character really follow closely. Very smooth, so very smooth. Alcohol is hidden, like Jimmy Hoffa's body. Seriously, it is hidden. I taste no hotness, just citrus hops and a smooth rye flavor.

Overall, I've had less than stellar things to say about Weyerbacher in the past, partly because I've been drinking their brews since the beginning. But this just goes to show you that they are really starting to excel in the big beer phenomena, and this beer is spectacular. Keep doing what your doing and I'll forgive the growing pains I know you have gone through.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

7/23/2007 $7.15 22 oz. 10.20% No best by date, though bottle says "this beer will gain even more character if aged properly."

Appearance:

Pours a golden amber that is clear but for a bit of chill haze. Very still with only a ring of white around the rim.

Aroma:

The rye character really shines through here with a touch of brown sugar and hot alcohol.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Smooth, though thin mouthfeel. Hugh rye flavors dominate from the get-go, coupled with a buttery-caramel sweetness that finishes with granny smith apples and just a flash of hot alcohol.

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

Yay, another anniversary beer from Weyerbacher! Served from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: A rather clear golden color with an off-white head that cimb up and up. Minute bubbles don't look they are going anywhere soon. Plenty of carbonation is coming from the bottom of the beer towards the surface. Lacing drenches the sides of my glass.

Smell: Initially, lemon and lime, astringent and clean. Smells of wheat but that could be the rye coming through. Magnum hop smell, wild in nature.

Taste: Big and bold. You can tell this is a barleywine by the nature of the flavors. But, it is unlike other beers I've had before, let alone the rye ones. Sweet flavors of anise, ginger, and citrus are strong but there is a definite hop finish. This is a very fresh bottle so I'm getting this beer in the raw.

Mouthfeel: I think this is where this beer excels. Extremely smoothe initially, followed by a hop bitterness and alcohol burn in the throat. the creaminess that the rye gives is sublime. Initially this beer hits your mouth with no carbonation and seems rather tame but oh does it turn on you. Very nice.

Drinkability: Overall, I feel like this is a job well done. However, being so fresh and complex, I feel like this beer takes you on a rollercoaster of tastes and mouthfeels. I bet in 5 years the hops will mellow greatly and the true sipper that Twelve is will have it's day in the sun. Very,very good beer that takes beer to another place. Good job Weyerbacher.

« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
Twelve from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.