Riserva - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

RiservaRiserva

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Wild Ale |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 06-14-2008

Ale with raspberry purée added and aged in oak barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Riserva Alström Bros
1.47/5  rDev -62.5%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2010 bottle i believe.

I think this beer was aged in many small acetone cans. You can not convince me otherwise.
Redish brown color and no head, this thing was decapitated.
The nose is like acetone, just cuts the fruit apart. Bleh.
The raspberries are hard to find under the nail polish mess, some oak, it is sour and acidic, but still a terrible beer.

Run away. (368 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -60.7%

Bought this a while back. 2010 vintage..the SUPER SOUR year. Should be fun...or hideous. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear ruby hue with absolutely no carbonation or head. Little bit of legs, but..yah..sigh

S - Aromas of raspberries and oak...oh yah, nostril searing sourness. Vinegar big time. As it warms though it becomes almost all acetone.

T - Taste is well..not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. Let me say though...goddamn is this sour. Almost stomach turning so. The raspberry is there, along with the oak, but this is so acidic and sharp. Like drinking a glass of vinegar and nail polish

M - Mouthfeel is entirely flat.

O - Overall, this is one of the worst things I've ever drank. So pissed...this beer was awesome when it was fresh....it's so horrible now. Why did I not drink this fresh?! (838 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -54.6%

750ml bottle into a Weyerbacher Tulip

2009 Vintage at Fridge Temp

A- Huge pop from the cork and pours a nice hazed reddish golden orange with not much of a head other than a nice off white pink looking bigger bubbled ring around the glass. As expected being over %11. Tons of carbonation streaming from the bottom and fizzed up like cola when i poured it. Not much lacing but some really nice alcohol feet on the side of the glass that definitely stick around for a while.

S- Really nice sour style funk up front with tons of raspberries and fruitiness. Definitely some alcohol notes coming off this one. Can't really pick much else out, just super strong raspberries that almost make this beer smell like a wine cooler and as it warms kind of becomes unbearable.

T- Up front your immediately hit by an intense boozy fermented fruit flavor that seems to all most sting the nose before each sip. Taste like medicine you would be given as a kid and hate forever. Can't tell if there's to much raspberries or if there's to much alcohol in this one. It seems as if it's both. Honestly can't even put it near my face without gagging. I'm sorry. Normally I am all about wild ales but this is not good.

Could be the age on this one or just the bottle i got but this stuff is way to strong in a terrible way. Like i said i can't even put it near my face.

Poured

SkÅL! (1,371 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -54.3%

2010 Release
750 ml bottle consumed on 2/10/2012

A: Brown/red in color with no carbonation or head. I was certainly expecting low carbonation, but this was flat.

S: Overpowering acetic acid smell, coming from the cider vinegar. Definitely a negative in my book.

T: More tart than sour, if that makes sense. If you can get past the aromas, the taste is borderline acceptable. Though, the sourness is missing in this wild ale. Raspberries are very difficult to detect. Label indicates a raspberry puree was used, but does not indicate how much.

M: What I expected from a flat beer. No carbonation, very little in terms of pleasing the palate. Dry finish.

O: I had high hopes for this wild ale, but it turned out to be a disaster. After having a pretty good experience with the 2011 version a couple months ago, I thought the 2010 version would at least be pretty good. I was wrong, it was a completely different beer. The 2010 version should never have been bottled and distributed, in my opinion. Based on this experience, I will be passing on future Riserva releases. (1,072 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -52.8%

S: Big rasberry tartness, touch of funk, some oak.

L: Still looking, no head, slightly hazy dark red.

T: Sweet rasberry like malt with some tartness. Little bitterness, a slightly funky rasberry taste leads to a medium tartness with a touch of lemon rind.

M: Almost no carbonation, slick on the palate.

No carbonation whatsoever. Makes this a slick mess. Funkiness is quite gross with the rasberries. Too big and really messy, drainpour. (441 characters)

2010 vintage.

Fingernail polish tinged with raspberries? Holy smokes is the ethyl acetate cranked up to 11 on this one. If you thought HaandBryggeriet took the EtOAc cake, Weyerbacher's bugs + process will confound you.

Indeed not for the faint of heart. Or for those with taste buds. Or for those with a nose. I love sours, but this is way over the top. I enjoyed the 08 and the 09 enough (still too much EtOAc), but this year's is rough. The Brewer's disclaimer does not do the sour experience justice.

A few hours in glass does wonders for pulling off much of the distracting ester and actually yields a pleasant fruit profile underneath the solvent, but I'm not patient enough to wait around for it to try this year's experiment again. And I doubt time in the bottle will help, unless you can wait a couple decades.

But if you're the type who thinks sours have to be in your face mouth puckering and don't mind solvent aromas, this is your beer. You'd save money by drinking diluted fingernail polish and chomping down on sour patch kids soaked in vinegar, though.

Disclaimer: please don't drink dilute fingernail polish. EtOAc is bad enough by itself, but there are much more nasty compounds than just the acetate in these products. (1,245 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -52.8%

Poured from a 2010 750ml into a tulip glass and then almost immediately poured into the drain.

A: Resembles nothing of a beer as poured, a hazy mahogany/pink mix with no carbonation showing.

S: Huge cider vinegar with a tart raspberry smell underlying. Let me just say that the smell of vinegar has never made me want to drink something.

T: Very tart. I puckered for the first few sips trying to find good in this. It tastes like black cherry atomic warheads (sour candy) was soaking in cider vinegar. This is atrocious and I immediately drain poured. I know the 2010 version is the only one this extreme, but I'll never touch another, this was bad.

M: Like Robotussin.

O: I will never buy this again, nor would I consider sipping it again. This is not beer, this is a crummy attempt at a wine. (800 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -48%

Vintage 2010

Pours murky amber with just a thin ring of head from a vigorous pour. No retention or lacing.

Aroma features nail polish remover with some slight raspberry and oak undertones. Smells like pure acetone.

Flavor unfortunately is similar. This beer tastes almost exactly like when I got curious and took a sip of my roselare starter. Acetone overpowers any other flavors in this although if I try hard, I can find the raspberry hidden under the pure vinegar. Also finishes with a weird metallic aftertaste.

Medium to full bodied. Alcohol is hidden fairly well. I would not have guessed this ABV. Dry and oaky finish.

This was a disaster. Not sure if it's the age or if this is just a bad beer, but as someone who usually loves extreme sour and puts vinegar on pretty much everything, it's too much for me. A big disappointment considering how much I love Rapture as well. (885 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -41.6%

2010 bottle. I'm copying directly from my notes here as they do it justice.

"Acidic fuel nose, burning. Ridiculous acidic mouth, some decent raspberry underneath, oak, but completely destroyed by the ridiculous acidic bullshit. I do not have time for this." (259 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -41.1%

2010 Batch. I went to Abe's Cold Beer looking for a sour and this seemed like a good option. However upon opening, it was clear this beer wasn't going to stand up to previous reviews. There was a strongly acidic earthy garden tang. Not quite of rotting produce or horseblanket, but very unpleasant. The raspberry element was quite good and nicely balanced against the level of the funk. The sour character needs work. I did not bother to finish the bottle. It's not the pleasant, zesty flavors and aromas you'd expect in a ftamboise type ale. (542 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -38.3%

Poured out of the corked and caged 750ml bottle into a flute type glass.

A - Pours a hazy light raspberry red color. A slight orange hue to it. Pours a light pink head that is very small and is gone within seconds. Leaves behind a off white cap. Kinda looks like mold now that I think of it. Looks great and I'm ready to indulge.

S - Wow.... this killed it for me. Smells like finger polish with a slight raspberry sweet smell. Not good. My nose hairs are gone. I'm really dissapointed with the smell of this. Really funky and alcoholic. Hoping the taste takes over for this one. Pretty please.

T - Not much better than the smell. Lots of straw and oak and barn tastes covered up by alcohol and nail polish. Not digging it at all.

M - Mouthfeel is lots of light bubbles. Kind of champagne esque. Really sharp and hits the tounge hard.

D - I've got to say I'm really dissapointed with this sour. I know they are supposed to be high on funk but really this just made me regret the 18.00 pricetag. I'm also glad I split the bottle with my girl and she kind of liked it. I've got one more bottle and I'm hoping that a few... or 10 years does something good to this beer. (1,171 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Pours a reddish gold. Smells of over ripe fruit. Very tart and sour on the nose. Wow. This made my mouth pucker and my eyes water literally. So incredibly sour and tart. Didn't taste like raspberries to me, it tasted like crap. Gave my pour away. (280 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -37.2%

thanks for hooking me up with this in 2009 risser09 -shared at the wild ale tasting, poured chilled into a taster.

The color is deep red bordering on magenta with good clarity and visible carbonation rises rapidly to a snowy cap with tight beading. The smell is slightly sour with a hint of sweet raspberry odor, not overly strong aroma-wise, but there is a lot of alchohol noted as it warms. The feel is slightly sour slightly syrupy sweet with a wierd astringent and alcoholic combination that becomes drying and unpleasant when warm.

The taste is odd, one minute it has a sweet raspberry which seems to turn funky and sour and in the same taste is alcoholic and has a bitter edge with more funk and light sugary tang too, I can't say it is terrible, but just doesn't seem to mesh and the wierd vinous elements clash with the strong alcohol taste. I was glad I got to try this, but wish I had tasted it earlier, I probably shouldn't have saved it and I am willing to guess some of the fruit may have covered the strong booziness - It just tastes like it is past its prime. (1,080 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -36.5%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a snifter glass.

2010 vintage.

pours a murky, rusty cranberry tone yielding no head whatsoever. hmm... sticker on the bottle warns this batch is very different from prior years. so it seems.

fantastic, bold nose smacks of rasberries and apple cider. big tart/sour presence through and through. my hopes are buoyed.

medium-bodied mouthfeel with very low carbonation, makes it tough(er) to drink. disappointing. i really wanted to like this beer, especially paying almost $19 for the bottle. alas, it's simply not for me. (916 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -36%

Thanks to a generous BA for sharing some of this with us at the Splinter Black release. Served in a Savor snifter.

Pours a reddish color with a bit of rust. Zero head, zero lacing, and zero carbonation...well not quite the last one, but pretty close. The nose is intensely sour with quite a bit of very strong lactic character and a mild amount of acetic acid. Some cherry presence lingering in the background. It's rough, but I enjoyed it.

The taste is a different story. This is over-the-top source and the slight fruit presence from the nose is completely gone. Instead, there is an incredible amount of pucker factor and a hefty dose of vinegar. After Alex shared that Santa Fe wild a few weeks back, I thought that I had reached a sour peak. Not necessarily so. I'll bump the mouthfeel for the fact that I somewhat enjoyed trying to choke this down before it melted my nearly-frozen insides on this frigid, frigid morning. Oh yeah, it's flat. Drinkability was not good. If not for the pure novelty of trying to drink something this sour, there's not really much to enjoy here. (1,083 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -36%

750ml corked and caged bottle served in a snifter glass.

2010 vintage.

appealing, bold nose smacks of rasberries and apple cider. big tart/sour presence through and through. my hopes are buoyed. but whoa... taste, unfortunately, takes my suddenly lofty expectations and does an about-face, pile-driving them into the frozen dirt outside. rasberries out in front quickly become engulfed in a tidal wave of cloying sourness, drowning my palate with such mouth-puckering acidity i wonder if it will ever un-pucker. way overdone. also on the boozy side.

originally reviewed: 12-29-2010 (952 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -35.2%

2009 bottle traded to me from mikeyv35. been wanting this one for a while. thanks!

A- this one pours out a hazy pinkish colored body ive come to expect with raspberry infused beers with a loud and fizzy white head that vanishes before my eyes. little to no lacing left on the sides of my glass.

S- fresh sweet raspberries are the first thing i notice. after that some sourness (vinegar) and solvent like alcohol. almost like acetone.

T- the taste is very much like the smell, unfortunately. sweet tart raspberries with a bit of vinegar. a little bit of oak, and then the solvent like alcohlol. "Fort gone wild" is what was going through my head.

M- light to medium bodied with a good level of carbonation. lots of heat from the alcohol. finishes dry.

D- i probably will seek this one out again because i really like weyerbacher, and my experience seems different from most other reviews of this ive seen. if i have another bottle like this one, ill never consider trying it again. fort gone wild. (1,003 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -34.2%

2010 drank 12/5/10

A-pours a slightly hazy deep ruby red with a thinner pure white head.

S-the nose has light notes of dry oak, hints of tart raspberries, huge acidity in the back.

T-the oak is right up front, notes of vanilla behind, the yeast is strong and dirty with tart raspberries that are somewhat green with tons of acidity in the finish burning the back of the throat.

M-full bodied, a little heavy and creamy on the palate, somewhat dry finish and lighter carbonation.

D-this isn't really sour as they said that it would be, it is extremely acidic and it really takes away from any raspberry sweetness. the raspberries are pretty green but the barrels have imparted a decent bit of flavor.

***
2009 drank early 2010

A-hazy reddish amber in color that pours a white head that dissipates as soon as it is created. lots of bubbles from a seemingly high amount of carbonation

S-huge taste of raspberry, some tart cherry and a huge sour yeast come in next. clove and a touch of banana finish off this extremely sweet tasting beer

T-very tart, huge carbonation and extremely crisp throughout. It puckers the mouth and warms the body b/c of the apparent high alcohol

M-very tart, huge carbonation and extremely crisp throughout. It puckers the mouth and warms the body b/c of the apparent high alcohol

D-very big flavors, lots of alcohol, sweetness, and yeast. I'd thick this is better with some age to mellow the carbonation and alcohol. (1,452 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -33.9%

2010 batch, sticker on the bottle notes extra sourness of this batch. It pours a bloody diarrhea color with a huge deposit in the bottom of the bottle. Pour all at once or chew funky yeast in the last glass. Very little carbonation is present, a vigorous pour yields a few slick bubbles. Color is decent once the sediment subsides, a reddish tan color with good clarity. Aromas are fun-ky. Sour cherries and sweetarts. Flavor is confusing. Initial impact of fruit is great but the onset of sour is intense. I'm not one to complain about a little sour, but the chalky aftertaste of dissolved sweetarts and acid with an earthy, underripe sour cherry bite is a bit much for me. This would probably benefit from about 20 years in the basement to mellow the f*ck out. I struggled through my half of the bottle. Whew. (811 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks for sharing this one, Barry.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear ruby red, completely still; not a trace of carbonation.

Smell: Ripe raspberries and somewhat harsh solventy alcohol. Pretty much completely lacking anything I'd consider wild or funky, this smells more like a boozy wine cooler. The fresh raspberry aroma is about all this has going for it; the base beer would be a trainwreck without it.

Taste & mouthfeel: Dry, slightly tannic and woody. Raspberry flavor is up front but neither sweet nor tart; it tastes oddly flat and lifeless. The lack of carbonation is puzzling as other reviews mention it being carbonated. $20 beers should not have quality control issues like this, as far as I'm concerned. The finish is solventy and somewhat harsh, though the alcohol is masked slightly by the fruit. Oddly one-dimensional; this beer needed a lot more time in the barrel, I think, as it has very little yeast character and any perceptible tartness seems to come more from the fruit. Not a terribly impressive beer on the whole, though I didn't mind drinking half a bottle. (1,083 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -33.2%

I split this 750 with Stopper. Pouring at cellar temp into a snifter.

The beer is a very cloudy chestnut pour with heavy white particle load throughout the beer.
No head develops even with agressive pouring into my glass.
Aroma is raspberry and apple cider vinegar with some musty wood and general tart notes. Pretty funky stuff.
First sip reveals an average body with with prickly carbonation, very fizzy and causes lots of burps on each swallow.
Flavor is tart vinegar and some berries with a bit of a sharp bit maybe from the booze. Again musty funkiness and no hops to discern. The flavor profile isnt well defined and is fairly jumbled on each sip, not sure if that was the intent of the beer.
Overall I am a little disappointed with this beer, seems the wildness took over and hurt the drinkability of the beer. Not sure I could even recommend this to others to try, but I guess that could be part of the chance of using wild yeast. (939 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -32.9%

750ml cork and caged bottle, the 2010 edition. An additional sticker placed on the side of the bottle indicates this batch is unique with a bold level of acidity not seen in previous batches which may not be replicated ever again. I've had this brew before, from a previous year and was not so thrilled with it so I didn't take notes. This time around, I am eager with anticipation of what this tastes like "fresh."

Popped the cork and poured into a snifter. This brew appears a hazed ruby red color with a thin white film for a head that quickly dissolves to a thin lace across the top of the brew. A swirl releases some bubbles from solution bit fails to create any lasting cap. Faint spots of lacing cling along the glass.

The smell of this brew is funky raspberry juice mixed with nail polish remover and bold, fusel alcohol. There is a light tang to the nose that mixes with notes of plastic and fruit juice. There is a very mild sweetness across the back of the nose that is lightly vanilla-like as the brew warms. The oak aging contribution is enjoyable but isn't enough to make the collective aroma all that good. There are pleasant notes but the nail polish remover and plastic are not enjoyable and distracting.

The taste is immediately a wack of nail polish remover right across the tongue. It mixes with a tangy fruit flavoring, melting plastic along with indescribable notes of sourness and funk. A faint raspberry flavor is evident through the middle with a pitty and earthy flavor before turning naturally sour like unripened raspberry. Contrasting the sourness are not so enjoyable flavors of plastic and nail polish remover. There is an evident amount of solvent alcohol which increases the perceived sharpness of all the flavors included. As the brew warms, it gets slightly similar in character to apple cider.

This is a medium bodied brew that is lightly carbonated. It could use a bit more fizz but that isn't going to fix all the offputting character this brew has. It boasts some serious sourness and acidity in a heartburn inducing sort of way. The taste is off, quite clashing and at times not enjoyable. However, if you are looking to have your sense of taste wrecked and face puckered in acidity, than you might want to give this brew a try. Or rub your tongue all over some leaking batteries. I don't even know if it is worthwhile keeping one of these around to see how it ages but I'm a glutton for punishment and plan on giving it a try again sometime down the road. I honestly approached this beer on more than one occasion with different batches and an open mind and I have not enjoyed this offering despite really wanting to. While this brew might not be an enjoyable example of an American wild ale for everyone, it certainly will get you buzzed. That abv level is excessive but equally matches the other bold aspects of this brew. The folks at Weyerbacher should keep their head high, they make some remarkable, excellent brews. This one though is troubling. (2,997 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

Bottle. Once the cork came out on this one it shot foam everywhere, had to have a glass handy to start pouring. Seemed like there would be a lot of carbonation. Poured a cloudy pinkish, reddish, brown color with a foamy white head. Smelled very fruite, a lot of raspberry and a little bit of sourness. Taste was not as sour as I expected, actually tasted like Chloraseptic throat spray on the back end. This was really hard to finish even with sharing it with a friend. For the explosion of foam upon opening there was no carbonation. Just a thick and syrupy raspberry blend. (575 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a dirty and cloudy reddish color ale with a small bubbly head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of gross funky notes and lightly sweet and somewhat tart raspberry is pleasant but gets gross with the weird funky notes. Taste is also a strange mix between some nice tart raspberry notes with just enough sweetness too offset the acidity but the weird barnyard notes are not that pleasant. Body is quite full with limited filtration and medium carbonation with no apparent alcohol. I very much anticipated tasting this one but must admit being disappointed after all. (595 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

A corked and caged 750 mL bottle from rowingbrewer; thank you! 2010 Vintage, split into two tulip glasses.

Pours a murky purple, ruby color with rich crimson hues where the light is more vibrant. Absolutely no head, and no lacing. I feared it was undercarbonated from the minuscule "pop" of the cork.

Aroma is of tart raspberries, cranberries, apple cider, acetic acid (vinegar), and some funky undertones. The tart fruit is inviting, but there isn't much spectacular here.

It tastes of raspberries, cranberries, cherries, apple cider, various light grains, a touch of alcohol, and some wood on the finish. The oak hardly shines through. It is plenty sour.

Mouthfeel is a bit difficult to palate, worsened by the utter lack of carbonation. This has taken on the consistency of a very tart, extremely dry raspberry juice. The back of the throat is burned on the finish, a combination of the extreme tartness, acidity, and dryness.

Overall, I think this one has fallen off a bit. Perhaps it was a faulty seal on the bottle, but the lack of carbonation posed some problems for it. It is a sour monster though, so if that's what you seek, then look no further. (1,161 characters)

Riserva from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.