Fireside Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Fireside AleFireside Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Smoked Beer |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: yourefragile on 01-09-2009)
4.25/5  rDev +13%

Had this beer on draft at Jose Pistola's in Philly. Great beer and at 7.5% ABV, it definitely gets the job done. I am partial to dark ales so I picked this off the menu right off the bat. I have had some Weyerbacher before and wasn't too impressed but this I really liked. Recommended for sure.

grilli68, Jan 28, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +13%

Bonko_the_sane, May 13, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A finger of offwhite head and a hazy medium brown body. No lace.

Nose smoke and wood, bits of charred ash-- beech if I had to guess, but I can't say for sure. It doesn't hold back on the smoke, so points for that. Really quite nice.

Dang. This is way better than I would've guessed. Big smooth body, a slightly nutty brown with a bunch of smoke thrown in. And by thrown in, I mean decently well integrated, don't get me wrong. Aftertaste has some slightly acrid woody tang, doesn't linger too long and finishes dry enough. Not the best I've had, but hard to ask for more. This is a first impression at least, it kinda wears as you keep drinking it.

Body is smooth and pretty full, not very bright. Works well for the style.

I had low expectations for this beer, and it smashed them. Don't recall what I paid for it, but I'd definitely buy it again if I saw it on a shelf. I say this as a big rauch geek. Bamberg imports (and smoked malts in general) come at a premium price-- why not try a domestic?

zaphodchak, Apr 21, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

The label states "...DARK ALE WITH A TOUCH OF SMOKINESS" but the smokiness is all there. Upon pouring it I could smell it. As the hazy deep chestnut body rose and the frothy light tan head thickened, I could sense that it was more more peat-like than Beechwood smoked. Or is it? A closer whiff gave me a kind of in-between. Regardless, although it's more than a "touch", it's not overdone, and I tip my hat to their brewers for striking a balance that hits just hard enough to be distinctly noticeable, but doesn't knock you down.

The flavor is, of course, smoky as well, but it's very well supported by a soft, malt base of dark caramel and toast. It's doughy, and bready, and nutty as well - and I think the smoky side just surrounds that and brings it all into focus. It's like a combination between a Scotch ale and a Franconian rauchbier, and somehow that all works. It reminds me of the smell of a flannel shirt after a camping trip. It's woodsy, but also ashen. It's not quite as lively as a Beechwood smoked beer, however, as it doesn't quite have that 'sweet' note of the wood to it. Which brings me to bitterness in a round about way. It's malt and sweet upfront, but bridled by the smoke, and then a very firm but thin bitterness steps in. And in the finish it's drying with a bit of a raspy edge that's no doubt in part due to the smokiness, and at least in some part due to some grassy and gently piney hops.

Wow! It really takes me back to the woods! What an interesting and enjoyable beer. I wonder how it would be to enjoy one on a camping trip late at night in front of the campfire under the stars. (Interesting aside that's worth noting here, for many years some time ago I would make a trip to Weyerbacher, and then camp at Dingmans Ferry in the Delaware Water Gap nearby). Certainly worth trying, if not seeking out!

NeroFiddled, May 06, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Ordered a pint of this after getting a sample. Didn't know what style this beer was before I got the sample.

Appearance: Dark Tan leather. Head retention was a mere cusp. No lace left on glass.

Smell: I did detect some smokey flavor along with the malt.

Taste: Dry malt base with a hint of smoke. Taste is a little similar to the Slam Dunkel. I detected some tobacco as well and not sweet at all.

Drinkability. I did not know this was 7.5 ABV and could have a few pints easily.

A well done Smoked beer that I would definitely have again.

Good job Weyerbacher!

Kolsch, Jan 25, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

L: Pours a deep smokey red/brown color with a medium sized and medium bodied head that laces the glass somewhat on the way down.
S: Smells of deep roasted malts and a big smokey flavor.
T: Deep roasted malts, hints of caramelized malts, then a big smoked flavor that follows to the end and lingers a bit.
M: Very smooth and warming. Perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty drinkable. Big strong flavor and a nice feeling to it make it a really nice smoked beer.

erosier, May 10, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Picked this up at D's in Swissville, finally a good place to get local stuff for a low cost!

A - Holly carbonation! I got at least 1 1/2 inches of head. I expected pitch black but got a bountiful dark brown ale with amber tones. Pretty.

S - For some reason I expected to get more smoke on the nose but got some raisins, figs, slight caramel, and just a "touch of smokiness" as advertised.

T - mmm smokey. I got a nice rush of smoke like licking some freshly cooked ribs. A mild sweetness and dark fruit but surprisingly bitter finish with some hops or bitter roast. Interesting overall flavor.

M - Medium maybe could have used a bit more body but no complaints.

D - Wow I am glad I started with this beer since it was very good. I did go into it thinking it would be like a smoked ale or porter so maybe I wasn't blown away but I did enjoy the subtle smokeyness and overall flavor. Worth a try!

DrDemento456, Jan 24, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Dark,reddish brown color with a swampy,head and lace.

The aroma of hops,smoke and roasted malts. Some mild fruit hints.

The taste is smoky with a roasted malt taste.

The feel is medium body,medium carbonation and a smooth finish.

Notes: I liked it and the only thing is that I find this more suitable for a cold night. I had it on a cold, air conditioned night.

Lexluthor33, Aug 17, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

This beer pours a clear, dark red with a tannish half finger head. Decent head retention though not much lacing to speak of - some spotty wispy lacing. Nose is smokey, like the name indicates, more of a fireside smoke scent rather than BBQ, some roasted malts are present as well. Taste was smokey up front, roasted malts mixed in to blend nicely with the the smokey flavoring, some hops mixes in at the end blending nicely. Hop flavroring isn't overpowering. It's just the right blend to give a solid backing to the rest of the beer. Medium body, decent carbonation, bit creamy the tongue at first. This is a very nice brew! I'll be looking to pick up a few more in the near future!

Jayli, Mar 24, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Single finger head dissipates quickly, leaves a periphery of head. Brown with amber/reddish hues.

S: sweet malt with caramel and dark fruit/figs aromas.

T: More dark fruit and figs with mildly smokey finish.

M: The smokey finish makes this a smooth but thick beer. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is a very complete and fairly complex beer. The tastes at times can be conflicting but overall an excellent and drinkable beer.

kylehay2004, Aug 12, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Nice and gently smoked brew.

Presentation: 12 oz brown capped bottle. Warm colored label with an illustration of flames framed within an oval. Glad to see a Weyerbacher bottle with a somewhat pleasing design. One line description and almost legible bottling and best by dates printed on the neck (122810, 042811). Shows 7.5% Alc. by Vol. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Clear deep amber to amber brown pour, rich ecru creamy head, good retention, nice surface memory and some splashes of lacing.

S - Soft smoked nose, rather nice, fruity and sweet touch, with a yeasty hint that fades as the brew settles and the smoked sense prevails

T - Nice smoked sense, not too hefty but not shy at all, a bit meaty, malty undercurrent with a nice sweetness with a fruity touch under the caramel.

M - Medium body touching medium-full, soft carbonation with a hint a a warming finish.

O - Nice balanced overall, good smoked flow without pushing the brew.

Notes: About time I tried this offering from Weyerbacher and it feels rather worthy. I´ll be happy to revisit it next season.

Daniellobo, May 29, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

Had a tasting of this at City Beverage in Winston-Salem Saturday, and I was sold. From just a couple sips, it struck me as a smoked beer that let the rest of the beer out to breathe, instead of smothering it all, the way I feel most smoked beers do. Bought a four pack, and I'm throwing one into a nice big glass about now.

This looks very nice, with a head of lightly tanned off-white sitting firm and creamy on top of a brown-meets-dark ruby color. Dibs and dabs of lace dot the glass. Entrancing, and a bit like a Belgian dubble in color maybe.

Aroma gives off waves of dark sweet fruits (fig, plum, raisin), carob, and toffee...the smoke lays down a bed underneath and let's the other stuff sing. Subtly. This is a very nice smelling beer, and the smoke does not overtake the other aspects of the aroma.

As with the aroma, smoke does not totally prevail in the flavor. The taste is similar to the smell--succulent dark fruits, carob, toffee--along with the essence of fresh sweet cream, earthy hops, nut husk and, yes, the smoke. And I love that the smoke merely highlights the other aspects of the beer, which is a malt-lovers kind of thing. If it weren't smoked this would probably fall somewhere between a big American brown and a strong Belgian ale. Slight mineral in the finish, along with grill-char, toffee and currant.

Probably a little thin for the flavors, and maybe even too prickly on the carbonation side. But it's got a nice slickness and a little bit of stick, and goes down well enough, but something just slightly beefier would have done the trick.

My problem with smoked beers, if I haven't already said so a million different ways, is that they are one-dimensional. Fireside Ale is not, and that's probably why it's my favorite smoked beer by a mile. Glad I discovered this, and this points to the power of beer tastings--I never would have picked it up otherwise.

Metalmonk, Aug 31, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

I was able to try this Weyerbacher beer on tap at the Spring House Drafting Room on 11/1/2008. They served it to me in a standard pint glass.

This Weyerbacher poured a dark mahogany brown with quite a few cherry red highlight along the sides. Sitting on top of this dark brown brew was a creamy 3/4 of an inch head of white foam. This head of foam had great retention that left behind a small white film, a string of white bubbly rings, and a few small blots of lace around the glass.

Despite it's dark color, the smell was bursting with fresh baked banana bread. Swirling the beer around will only increase the scent of the banana bread. Hiding behind the banana bread was a dash of cocoa powder and a subtle touch of roasted malts. As you can probably tell already, I loved the scent of banana bread this beer had. It was a pleasant surprise!

The taste of this beer was just as interesting as the aroma. It was malty with dark roasted malts and fruity with bananas at the same time. The taste also contained a hint of cocoa powder and a dark fruit or two hiding in the background. There was a very tiny hop profile at the end. It was so small that it was barely noticeable. Very good and unique tasting beer!

This dark beer was light to medium bodied with a malty aftertaste of dry roasted malts, a hint of ripe banana, and a speck of cocoa powder. This aftertaste didn't linger on for too long before it completely disappeared.

A smoked beer? Not really. Is it a great beer? You got it! I did read at the Drafting Room that it was a smoked beer, but I didn't get any smoke and anything smoked in this beer. It really doesn't matter to me because I would love to drink this beer again. Hopefully they will try to bottle this beer.

AltBock, Nov 02, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

An intriguing dark ale with a touch of smokiness.

One of the most appropriate label descriptions for a unique style.

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass. Brown with a red hue if held against the light. Thin foamy head that I wished hung around longer. Not lacing except for the very top of the glass.

Aroma appeared to be Belgian with a touch of smoke. Perhaps a slight chocolate presence. Halfway through I noticed a bit of sweetnes. All very subtle which makes this difficult. In any event, I found it to be very...well, intriguing.

Flavor was a clean finish with a touch of smokiness. I've now used "touch" three times. A very well-crafted beer. It went down very easy and I was constantly...intrigued.

Yetiman420, Feb 05, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours medium brown with lingering white head. Not too much aroma, maybe just a hint of sweetness.

Taste is sweet, mostly raisins. The smoke is relatively subtle (a good thing in my book) and matches the roasted characteristics of the malt. Very smooth at 7.5%. The mouthfeel is creamy but not too heavy. This one really hit the spot today.

gabrielsyme, Apr 02, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer was served in an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: I like the appearance of this beer alot. The beer pours a clear mahogany coloration. The head is a thick creamed cola coloration. Very nice head retention noted. Rings of lacing remain on the glass.

Smell: This one hits my nose unexpectedly. The aroma of the beer is caramel and a cocoa ontop of a layer of smoked nuttyness, and hickory smoked bacon. Who put the bacon in my beer? I dont know and dont care. Bacon is good!...

Taste: I like the smokeyness of the beer as it strikes my palate. The sweet maltyness of caramel is backed by smoked nuttyness, tobacco, and cocoa. Very nice!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The carbonation works well with the beer. Very smooth over all. I have a weakness for smoked beers. This was a nice beer to pair with a cheese plate.

nlmartin, Feb 01, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +11.2%

Damn fine looking beer here. Deep rusty mahagony with a small tan head that fades quickly into a thin tight lace.

Hints of smokey malts, and a slight bacon meaty quality. Burnt caramel ad milk chocolate. Herbal qualities and grassy hints. Nice toffee and more bready malts.

Solid and very easy drinking. Shows nothing like 7.5% abv. Not overly complex but to the point and even sessionable. Light smokey malt showing hints of cured meats and salt. Light chocolatey flavors, thick dense almost pumperkninckel malts. Black truffel as well. Very good carbonation and great mouthfeel. Just a solid beer from top to bottom. A great job by weyerbacher.

mcallister, Jan 30, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

a nice addition to the box from randomdanger..

the beer pours forth, splashing into the glass and leaving a suitable head. i poured this one cold, a strange departure, especially for a darker beer. i know not why.

it does make me wish i'd lit a fire. I'd sit there with my feet up, a pipe in my mouth and a scotch back, laughing at how silly this world truly is.
Its smokiness is more background, adding nuance to a beer already with some nice caramel sweetness almost like a hint of coconut. As the beer warms to room temperature, the smokiness comes out to play a bit more.

I enjoyed this beer and its mild smokiness worked for me. It also went fantastic with the scallops

olympuszymurgus, May 03, 2010

From notes.

A - pours a deep chocolatey brown with ruby highlights and a bubbly light tan head of foam. About a fingers worth. Decent retention.

S - strong sweet caramel aromas. Some musky burnt wood smoke aroma as well. Some hints of licorice and raisins as well.

T - much sweeter than I expected. lots of caramel and chocolate. this sweetness is balanced by a lingering smokeyness. hints of licorice too.

M - medium full bodied, low on carb. quite smooth.

D - this is like a mix of an English brown and a Scotch wee heavy. heavy enough for winter but still easy enough to pair with some summer barbecue.

Teleweizen2, Dec 19, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

I had this in bottle and it was underwhelming. I've since had it on tap and it was a much deeper and more flavorful ale. For a smoked ale it seemed flat and not pronounced enough in the named attributes of malt and smoke.

Amber - light brown in color with an active head. Just slightly hazy and that seems to settle/clear quickly.

The aroma is wheaty and malty with the distinct rauchbier barbecue scent but not in an unbearable or overwhelming fashion.

The taste is also that of a malty, grainy and sweet amber ale. It is thick and dense with layers of sweetness and a slightly citrus hops bitterness. But underneath all is the pervasive flavor of bacon-like smokiness that emanates through out the beer. It is nicely balanced by the sweet and slight flowery bitterness.

The mouthfeel is mellow and smooth especially on tap. It is satisfying and filling. Despite the unusual smokey wheat characteristic it becomes a very drinkable beer.

Minotaur, Feb 09, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: pours a dark copper color with a nice 1" head that lingers a bit. Some mild lacing paints the glass.

Smell: light smokiness, caramel, and a hint of nuts are detectable.

Taste: nice mild smokey malt base with some caramel, roasted nuts, red apples, and a moderate bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp from start to finish. Medium bodied beer. Aftertaste is long but light on the tastebuds as the smokiness lingers softly.

Drinkability: this was a very drinkable smoked beer since the smokiness was not overbearing and actually complimented the other flavors. Would be a great beer for a BBQ meal.

Gavage, Jan 25, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

A - Dark brownish-black with a large tan head that retains quite well

S - Slight alcohol with roasted malts

T - Surprisingly fruity on the forefront with malt in the background with a hint of smoke/char on the finish.

M - Well carbonated, medium in body

D - Since the smoke isn't overwhelming, it simply adds an interesting note that makes this beer very unique and pretty drinkable. Good stuff from Weyerbacher here to stand out.

Martin2D, Apr 07, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

a: This was a very dark brown, just a little light managed to shine through. It poured with a thin, short lived tan froth.

s: I've never smelled anything quite like this. Smoky, slighty nutty peats and a little toffee.

t: A light smokiness blankets some peaty toffee and an interesting nut flavor.

m: Maybe a little on the thin side with mildly fizzy carbonation.

d: An unique offering from Weyerbacher, good stuff.

DIM, Mar 12, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

Dark brown pour with little head and little lacing, still not a bad looking beer but nothing too pretty.
smells of smoke and cocoa with a hint of sweetness and some meat.
Tastes much of the same, roasted malt, smoked wood, ash, and cocoa, then some more wood in the pretty dry finish
Nice carbonation and smooth on the palate.
Overall, this is a very good beer if you like smoke, which I do, so sure I have bias but still would seek this out again. Great with pork or at a BBQ.

thepeter, Apr 16, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into a nonic a full rich brown with a nice formed 1/2 finger creamy-like off white head.Good balance in the nose not overly smoky,smoke infused with some sweet caramel and cherry-like fruitiness with a touch of iron.A mix of caramel and tofee sweetness hits up front with some of that cherry-like fruitiness,the smoke comes in the finish and compliments the sweetish flavors instead of overpowering them.A very nice smoked ale here,alot of nice flavor components.I could see myself drinking this on a cold day next to a roaring fire no doubt.

oberon, May 26, 2009
Fireside Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.