Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA

to view more.
Ratings: 409 | Reviews: 218
Reviews by Johnwf110:
3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

For $6.99 this 22oz corked bottle to me is a steal at Bestway here in GSO.Poured into an oversized wine glass a deep murky hazed amber with a big fluffy white head that left multiple rows of lace as it never completely settled.Somewhat odd aromas something was a little off,there was the deep pine resin but also almost a skunked note wich I can safely say this bottle was not,just a weird off note.Big sweet alcohol mixed with intense pine resin on the palate,its definently hot like alot of Weyerbacher brews but the hops are intenese and awesome.Mouth coating mouthfeel is very nice its full and rich,its big and and dangerous and could be a future headache, but hey its pretty damn good.

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1 pint, 9.4oz bottle into a tulip glass. The labels information includes the ABV only whit is listed at 9%.

Appearance: This beer pours very hazy as expected with an almost ice tea like color. On top is a light tan head of about two to three fingers thickness. This head is long lasting and makes tons of sweet slick lacing on the glass.

Smell: There is an interesting balance of sweet malt and citrusy grapefruit hops. Deeper in the aroma there are some lemony herbal spicy notes as well.

Taste/Palate: There is an extreme full bodied hit in the mouth of citrusy grapefruity hops, sweet bready malt, yeast, herbal citrusy tea like hops and sweet brown sugar notes. Hop bitterness seems to only catch up in the finish. The finish is slow with all things coming together melting into the tongue. It is full bodied and full textured with a bit a chew to it. The carbonation is good and keeps things from getting sticky or cloying.

Notes: This one knocked me for a loop. There is a ton of hop flavor and complexity with this wonderful single hopped ale.

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is apricots, oranges and caramel malt. The flavor is a mixed bag of citrus fruit, pine and a nice caramel malt backbone. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA opens to a huge citrusy, hoppy note, the bottle overflowing with pink grapefruit, grapefruit rind, pine resin, lemon oil, dandelion stems, anise, mint, and eucalyptus, showcasing virtually every hop aroma. The hops do swing toward the bitter side here, the dandelion stem, resin, and eucalyptus especially present, but enough sweet and oily notes are present to make the nose balanced—impressive, considering there’s only one hop variety in here. The hops are joined by a selection of orange, berry, and apricot fruit esters, which combine with some of the hop aromas to produce a strong, musty Concord grape overtone. Large scoops of brown sugar add further sweetness. This rests on a bed of biscuit, Grape Nuts cereal, and peppery bread, which adds earthiness. As a whole, the nose is very nice, offering hopheads an excellent selection of aromas, and while the intensity of the hop aromas far exceed anything else in the beer and produce a sense of imbalance, the result is enticing enough that this matters little.

On the tongue, the beer is, as expected, quite hoppy, with pine resin and grapefruit rind dominating, the more bitter notes of dandelion stem, anise, and eucalyptus somewhat weaker, but still very present, and below that, a spicy mint and pepper note. The fruit esters begin with a shot of pineapple that blends surprisingly well here, joined by cherry, orange, and berry, the last three in lesser quantities. Dollops of brown sugar abound, and the biscuit, Grape Nuts cereal, and peppery breads from the nose translate nicely. In subsequent sips the anise, pine resin, and pineapple can combine to form a slight, but unfortunate overtone of rubber inner tube. The aftertaste is a bitter continuation of the main mouthful, the pine resin and eucalyptus especially present here, burning at the tongue and soft palate for a long time. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium to medium-high, fizzing up on the tongue.

Overall, there is much to be liked in this beer, and hopheads should definitely give it a try. There is a slightly strong alcohol note that becomes especially present in the latter half of the mouthful, and the rubber inner tube overtone is occasionally disconcerting, but there’s still enough in here that the beer is worth seeking out.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%

I'm happy to take this opportunity to finally put in my first review. I've been on BeerAdvocate and into the craft brewing scene for a little while now but for some reason never found myself attempting to put my opinions to words on here. So, forgive me if this is a little awkward...but here I go! I picked this bottle up after having a taste at the ACBF and liking what I remembered about it afterwards...

Appearance-Huge aggressive head of about two and a half fingers off a mild pour into my New Belgium snifter. Head is a slight off white that gradually settles down into about a quarter finger that doesn't dimish further as I drink. Also leaves nice, heavy traces of sticky lacing down the side of my glass as I drink. The beer itself is a very handsome medium brown with a nice cloudiness that lets in a nice amount of light to color it a pleasant golden amber/brown.

Smell-I'm loving the smell on this beer. I'm surprised by my first whiff, expecting to be hit initially by the hops, but instead am initially greeted by a sweetness with a bit of malt coming forward. However, this is immediately followed by a huge and lovely hop boquet. Though I've still probably not tried more than a dozen DIPA, I'm particularly struck by the huge notes of grapefruit and citrus that are followed immediately afterwards by nice resiny/piney tones. Forgive me for getting a little poetic, but this smells like a stroll through a pine forest on a cool day while eating a nice slice of white grapefruit. Gets me excited for the taste.

Taste-Intial sip greets me in a very similar fashion to what I detected in the smell. I'm struck by the fact that this beer comes on sweet at first over my tongue with a bit of a malt profile before letting the bitter hops wash over the back of my tongue as it heads for the throat. Again however, after the initial malt detection, huge flavors of grapefruit and pine fill the mouth leaving a pleasant biting bitterness that does well to power out the initial sweetness. The citrusy grapefruit taste gives way again to piney notes that complement the aftertaste and become more prominent in relationship to the grapefruit as the beer warms in my glass. Very impressed with what I perceive as a surprisingly subtle balance in this beer before the hop punch at the end, leaving little overt impression of the heavy alcohol content of the beer. However, I could see how the sweetness on the front of the palate could be offputting for DIPA lovers.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability-For a DIPA, it came as no particular surprise that this beer had a fairly thick and sticky mouthfeel that was fitting also for the sweetness of the beer as well. However, the heavy hop bitterness/citrus note helped to balance the heavy mouthfeel and the beer went down very easily for the alcohol content as well.

In short, happy to have had the chance to make this beer my first review. Would pick it up again while fresh and consider it a steal given the price.

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Buford in Atlanta - I've been waiting on this for a while.

Pours an almost opaque light copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head dissipates into a patchy layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of caramel malts with huge amounts of pine hops. Struggling out are hints of citrus but the pine aromas really are in force here.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Caramel and slightly bready malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by sticky pine flavors. A mild bitterness sets in midway through the sip and intensifies through the strongly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have another.

Overall this is much more intense than the filtered version, it reminded me more of a hoppy barleywine than a DIPA. Tasty and the fact that it's unfiltered adds another dimension. Worth a shot.

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

750ml corked and caged brown bottle, purchase at Hyde Park, poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a deep reddish plum flesh color, opaque. 2+ fingers worth of dense, cream head, very good retention and loads of lacing.

S: Yummy yummy Simcoe aroma... gotta be my favorite hop. Fuck yeah, cat piss! Tons of pine and healthy citrus. Some toasty, bready sweetness.

T/M: Great balance between the lip smacking bitterness and nearly chewy sweet malts. Catty, ammonia, very piny. Toasty and sweet malts. The alcohol adds a very interesting character when combined with the added yeast, like a bit of Old Ale alcohol twang with some added fresh spiciness. Body is nearly full and a bit chewy with moderate carbonation.

D: Very tasty but needs to be taken slowly. Very good beer.

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I mail order this one from Germany. Just to try it because it looked appealing.

A - A orange haze in my glass with some yeast snow. The head on top looks a bit orange, yellow and white!? Yes I know it sounds strange.

S - A beautiful pine forest enters my nose. In the forest there must be some citrus- and mango trees too, with grass between the roots.

T - A sweet citrus&pine syrup are having sex with my tongue. This a beautiful subtle blend and the after taste is just a perfect bitterness.

M - A medium carbonated body with a creaminess that could have been better though.

O - A lovely DIPA, nearly as good as the heady topper. I really love this.. I do think I got this one really fresh though. I will buy it again to see if I was dreaming.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

big thanks go out to Lum (wherever he may be) for the bottle. Thanks Paul!

Pours a deep ruby color with a slight haze and an off white head that forms easily and retains pretty well.

Nose is alot of...uh...simcoe, and a significant perfumey malt sweetness, smells a little dated.

Taste follows with significant bitterness, and a sharp piney hop profile that seems a little old. Dont know how old this bottle is, but it shows some signs of being a few months past its prime. The flavor profile of the hops is a bit lacking but still obvious, and the bitterness is certainly still there. Sharp dry finish.

Mouthfeel is slightly overcarbed, and a bit viscous, but not bad for the style and/or gravity.

Drinkability is ok, but this one is a tiny bit hot.

Overall, an ok DIPA, certainly a good one for the east coast. The bitterness is quite high by EC standards, but its not checked enough by flavoring additions. This bottle seems like it might be a touch old, but even if it was fresh it wouldn't be anything mindblowing, but certainly not a bad beer, and one im happy to drink. Enjoyable brew.

4.05/5  rDev 0%

Brownish yellow color with an off white head. Almost dirty looking with sediment floating about, bouncing through the high level of carbonation. Leaves a residue.
Passionfruit, and a little grapefruit.
Very fruity. So this is what Simcoe tastes like. Passionfruit, grapfruit, slight alcohol and some malt.
Lots of carbonation but it worked well with the beer. Very bubbly with a full consistency.
A great double IPA, that is worth trying. A great way to familiarize yourself with Simcoe.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

No snifter available, so poured into a standard pint glass and shared with a friend.

A: Pours a bold copper/orange in color white a huge 3-finger off-white head.. and trust me, I poured this very gently. It is completely opaque/hazy (clearly because it's unfiltered) and the head retention is great. Lacing is quite nice, as well. Definitely darker than I expected, but didn't disappoint otherwise.

S: A strong nose built upon a firm malty backbone. Citrus notes accompany a bouquet of piney hops.

T: There is a lot going on here.. the malt backbone shines through pretty strongly. There is a sugery sweetness upfront, as well, followed by orange and grapefruit notes. A slight bite from the alcohol comes through in the end. Definitely like the taste, just a bit more malty and hefty than I was expecting.

M: The fullest body I've had in a DIPA, by far. Creamy feel with lots of carbonation. Just a little out-of-balance to me.

D: Glad I split this bottle. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but man this one is heavy for a DIPA. The alcohol comes through more in this one than most DIPAs I've had. Usually I'll want the whole bomber to myself and that will yield a better drinkability score, but that's not the case so I'm docking it a bit. Still above average.

4.13/5  rDev +2%

750ml bottle

A- Corked and caged 750ml bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a hazy brownish amber color with an off-white head that leaves excellent lacing and retention.

S- The aroma features some malt but it is definitely highlighted by the hops. There is a huge floral, pine and citrus hop aroma that is simply mouthwatering. There is also a notable amount of alcohol in the nose as well.

T- The taste like the aroma starts out immediately with a sharp hop bitterness and lingers for a long time well after the sip is finished. This will definitely satisfy anyones craving for hops. Behind the hop madness is a pretty solid malt backbone that just provides another tasty layer.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, this is another fantastic brew from Weyerbacher that I enjoyed a lot. I really hope they decide to release more of this because this is fantastic stuff! Highly Recommended!

3.73/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a tulip this beer is very carbonated, two thirds of the glass is foam, like a Belgian. Head is also very long lasting, it will be a while before I can pour a full glass, oops! The beer itself is an opaque copper, seriously this thing glows at the edges, the only place the light can fully penetrate. And the sediment is not disturbed, there is still a thick layer on the bottom. Unfiltered is right! Head is light tan and creamy. Ilove what hops does for head retention, this thing just doesn't want to subside.
Aroma is heavenly. Absolutely simcoe, could pick this out of a lineup any day. Juicy grapefruit, orange and lemon with Peach and some fragrant light pine notes. Detect some vegetal, like whole cone hops.
Five minutes and a small top up in, and there is still a thick head, but it is sinking. I can't wait any longer, I've gotta tear into this beast.
Head is very fluffy on the lips. A good blast of citrus. More grapefruit and peach. A short, strong dark caramel maltyness follows but is quickly overpowered by a blast of spicy bitterness that lasts, slowly fading and letting the yeasty caramel back in to round things out. Finishes a little heavy on the sweet side, but not too much.
Full bodied, tongue grabbing bitterness and coating sweetness, this beer would hold up to the heaviest of foods, while still cutting through fats with the sharp bitterness.
Although it has plenty of bitterness to hide the alcohol, it's sweetness has a decidedly negative effect on drinkbility. I am very much enjoying this 750ml bottle, but any more than this and my palate will be sugar-blown. I was expecting something a bit lighter in color, I think the heavy caramel is what will get to me first.
Overall a very solid beer, better than most DIPAs but short of an SDPA. Glad I found this although I may slightly prefer the flavor of the regular double simcoe, I like the extra yeast and complexity of this unfiltered offering.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Split a bottle between some friends poured into nonic glasses.

Huge billowy off white head on top of a dark, pumpkin colored body.

Smell is all pine, tropical fruits, it's also a bit catty.

Taste follows the nose, tropical fruits lead the way with a very harsh pine bitterness finishing it off. Not much malt coming through or booze.

Mouthfeel is very full and well carbonated.

I enjoy this beer, but I couldn't drink a lot of it with it's harshness and abv.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle conditioned 750ml bought at the brewery.

A: Cloudy orange color with white head

S: Floral, citrusy goodness, man does this smell great. Much better than the 12oz format.

T: Very full bodied, full on hop assualt, this really punches you straight in te mouth.

M: Very dry and thick, good carbonation

D: Not my favorite 2IPA but very good, i like this bottle cond. version alot more than the 12oz. It drinks incredibly smooth and is good bang for your buck, around here anyway.

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Popped the cork and poured it into a tulip glass. A dirty red color with two fingers of tight off-white head that held.
Blunted citrus smell. It really just smells like a bag of hop cones, probably Simcoe hops.
Strong bitterness, lots of hops and fairly malty. I feel like I am chewing on the Simcoe cones.
Medium bodied, moderate to higher carbonation. Fits the IPA bill.
While it is enjoyable, I am not getting anything special out of it. It is a good IPA, but it does not standout from most others.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Not really sure if this is an old bottle or whether they release a second batch but eitherway here goes. I think it is an old bottle

A: Cloudy and sediment filled caramel color. Way to much head, as it took about 10 minutes to pour two full glasses with all the foam, but it did leave nice lacing once it subsided.

S: Nice floral, piny and slightly citrus hoppy aroma. Lots of caramel and bread notes, some bubble gum ester notes

T: Intitial taste is bubblegummy esters followed by a smack of pine hops. None of the other hops truly come out of this ones, except for maybe some melon notes. A touch of caramel is also present and provides some balance to this.

M: Nice amount of body, with some creaminess and a lingering bitter pine note

D: When fresh it is much better but still rather enjoyable

4.73/5  rDev +16.8%

WOW

pour leaves a giant cream colored head over murky copper body. huge lacing left behind and thick retention. beautiful!

huge citrus and pine scents, i mean huge. a bit of alcohol hidden within

upfront, giant citrus. mainly grapefruit, pineapple, and tangerine. a bit of grassy earthy flavors. malts are fairly light and hidden behind the simcoe.

very full bodied and very smooth. most of the carbonation comes out in the head leaving a very smooth beer

this is amazing. this tops their regular double simcoe and masks the alcohol much better. this is one great beer although its very strong in flavor so just one at a time but many bottles should be enjoyed.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle via trade thanks to GeoffFromSJ. 750ml corked and caged bottle poured into Anderson Valley snifter.

A - Cloudy brown color with a large off-white head.

S - Aroma is floral/citrusy simcoe hops, a bit muted compared to what I expected, with some yeast and caramel malt.

T - Nice caramel/toffeeish malt, yeast, and citrus/resin hops. Hop aroma/flavor seems to have faded a bit, possibly from age/heat.

M - Palate medium-full and fairly dry with lots of lingering hop bitterness on the finish.

D - Pretty good. I prefer regular Double Simcoe to this, but this is still very solid.

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Corked & caged 750 ml courtesy of HopStoopid120, cheers Tony!

Pours an effervescent & dirty caramel with 4+ fingers of khaki colored head. Crazy head retention & lacing

S: Fruitty, piney & boozey (a bit)

T: Breadyness, buscuitty malt, leafy & earthy hops in your face, plus pineyness & booze hiding under caramel up front. Dryness & herbal bitterness dominate as this warms, plus toffee & caramel, plus herbal hops smack & a ton of pink grapefruit & some booze..

MF: Chewy, bready with low carbonation & bit too hoppy balance & ABV-wise to ring all my bells

Drinks a bit slow, the ABV & complexity slow me down a bit. Hop heads may disagree

Pours thick with a dark and heavy appearance, huge head and lots of sediment.

Smells sweet, piney, and citrusy, love me some Simcoe!

Taste is citrus, tropic, slight pine, and sweet malts.

Mouthfeel is sticky and heavy with some grit from the sediment.

Overall, a little too much sediment, but good nonetheless.

3.01/5  rDev -25.7%

This was my first corked & caged beer as well as first all simcoe hopped beer. The head on this thing was the best thing going IMO. Poured into a 20 ounce snifter, I could only get about 4 ounces in there before the head took over. This was huge tan fluffy head that was real eye candy. The smell was what you expect of a DIPA, tropical fruit, pine and citrus. I did not get the cat pee smell and I have 3 cats. The taste itself was bitter hops, a little pineapple, and some caramel as well. I spilled a few drops on my counter top during the first pour and those drops got very sticky because I did not clean them up right away. I believe this has a good amount of malt in it. The 9% alcohol was hidden about half way through the 750 but became more apparent towards the end as it warmed. One particular sip past the half way mark mad me say "whoa, there's the alcohol". I think my review would have been more favorable if not for the amount to drink. I would have preferred about half as much.

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Ommegang flute thing, a strange choice of a first review beer!

Appearance: Nice dark orange hue with a beautiful, long-lasting head. Not quite the color I was expecting but a nice pour.

Smell: Delicious aroma of pineapple sticks out the most, but there's also grapefruit and some spice.

Taste: A bit of a letdown considering the nose, it's not an incredibly diverse taste and it becomes somewhat bogged down as the beer continues to warm. It's not quite a total hop bomb and not malty enough to fit into standard East Coast DIPA flavors. None of the pineapple from the nose, it's primarily citrus with some peppery? hotness on the back.

Mouthfeel- Much more creamy than I expected, very little carbonation considering how loud the pop was when I opened the bottle.

Drinkability- Good but not great for a DIPA, I started to become bored about halfway into the bottle.

I really need to go and review normal Double Simcoe so that I can compare the two, but this beer is something of a minor letdown.

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

Got in a trade with kmurray8621...thanks for everything Kevin!

A- Pours a very apple cider color that is very hazy to say the least. This beer looks thick! Big two and a half finger head that just stays there for a long bit before leaving gobs of thick lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Huge Simcoe smell to this which is to be expected. Underlying all this smell I do get hints of burnt malts a little along with some citrus smells (orange and a hint of grapefruit). I also get some hints of alcohol in this as well but everything this covered with brutal hops aroma.

T- Now this is a bitter DIPA! Big huge bitterness up front that kicks your teeth in. Alcohol makes its presence known about midway through this beer. Not a bad thing at all though. Get hints of a sweet but burnt caramel malt to this that gets covered up with bitter pine hops and ends with a somewhat semi-sweet citrus/bitter hops combo. Well put together extreme beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel to this. Carbonation is a little much for me and it seems to make the beer fizzle over the tounge. Oily hop resin left over everything in your mouth (teeth included). Good bitter hop aftertaste leaving you wanting more for sure.

D- This is a one and done beer sadly. I could drink more than one if I wanted to but I would much rather savor it and move onto something else. Glad I got to try this beer though.

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a dark, murky rustic-orange with a rapidly rising and towering 3 finger foamy beige colored head that calved and formed a devils tower structure. The initial retention was very good, after the second pour all that sticky caramel malt and hop oils coated the glass and the head became ever lasting refusing to go down. The lacing was thick spongey and clumpy , near full sheet, coating the entire glass on the way down. Visible carbonation was feverishly strong. A beautiful deep rustic coloring, sturdy head and bright carbonation would be hard to improve on.

S: sweet juicy grapefruit with wet fresh pine exploding from the beginning. Sweet caramel adds a nice sense of maltiness that was creamy and deliciously represented.

T: Sticky sweet caramelized grains with dry grapefruit flowery hopping slaps the taste buds into submission right from the start. Bitter pine and a dry grassiness parches the tongue while a caramelized grain sweetness offers glimpses of balance. The finish finds an intense dry flowery bitterness of grapefruit, grass, and pine all delivered by a brisk and strong carbonation compliments of its unfiltered and bottle conditioning. Bitterly dry and packs a wallop.

M: full bodied with a lusciously creamy and sticky caramel coating the tongue. Sticky hop oils and bitter dry flowery hopping parches the tongue after the swallow. The carbonation is very healthy and active here bringing out the brisk and bitter nature.

D: Very good drinkability, well hopped, dry but very manageable for the seasoned ipa drinker. Comes with a great enjoyment factor.

to view more.
Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.