Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA
No picture.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Birdiebeagle on 05-19-2009

4.87/5  rDev +20.8%

This beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass. Where to start this beer review? Double Simcoe was really awesome the first time I had a bottle. My very first beer trade I traded a bunch of Double Simcoe Bombers.

Appearance: The beer is definately unfiltered. The beers normally bright amber / orange body is kind of murky. Some may find the murkyness of the beer unappetizing. Me I know its loaded with unfiltered yeasty goodness! The head is a finger and a half with pretty good retention. The head didnt fall as soon as it hit my mustache. Thick rings of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The aroma hits all the right notes. The pine is resinous, the citrus is kicking up grapefruit and pineapple. This would truly be hard to improve upon.

Taste: The beer delivers long lasting pine flavors, honestly taste like what I would expect my Christmas tree to taste like. Then the hops start heading into the citrus notes love grapefruit flavors in beer. Oddly enough I used to hate the flavor of grapefruit. Perhaps I should give a grapefruit another try? Discipline back to the beer. Then the hops dip down into grassy notes. Oddly enough the hops kind of cycle. The malt is definately supporting this hopped up DIPA. This is definately a ballsy hoppy monster.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is full. The carbonation works well with the beers overall character. The hops are very resinous and oily delivering a long lasting flavor on my palate. I am a bit distressed how fast I have destroyed a bottle of this beer. Almost ready to crack a second bottle. This beer is a hop heads dream - literally a form of liquid crack. (1,657 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +20.8%

750mL poured into a tulip, over and over again.

A: A massive head erupts at the pour and covers an opaque melding of amber and caramel hues. The head is beige and bubbly. The retention is wonderfully puffy and spotty lacing.
S: Big fruits, especially citrus. Pineapple and ripe mandarin. Herbals and florals are working their way in, too. Not much malt comes through until about an hour into the session. It's bready but can barely peek its head through the fresh, hoppy goodness.
T: I do get a bit more caramel malt in the flavor right away, but it doesn't dominate the hops one bit. Not even close. Hops are killer ripe citrus (same as the aroma), but bittersweet just enough. All the usual suspects in a fresh DIPA.
M: Medium body and high carbonation gives me a tingly feeling. Tons of residuals and a drying sense.
D: This beer ends just as hoppy as it began. It took me about two or three hours to kill the whole bottle, and it was absolutely delicious. One of the best DIPAs out there. (995 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

A: Beautiful pinkish-brown with a huge tan head that shows no evidence of diminishing. Cloudy appearance with lively bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Warm and delightful-looking.

S: Dreamy grapefruit and flowery/fruity notes. Sweetened herbal tea. Caramel and brown sugar. Sweet and light... if noses could show emotion, mine would be very happy...

T: Perfect blend of malt and hops that complement each other perfectly. The extreme hops dominate. Bitter yet sweet, powerful yet mild... Huge grapefruit and piney flavor with lots of spiciness that hits your tongue right away, and even burns my lips a bit. The aftertaste contains very little bitterness, and instead blends into a mellow malty taste. These two compliment each other very nicely to form what I believe is pretty much the perfect taste. A hidden flowery taste that is hard to pick out among the strong flavors-- but is evident in the aftertaste.

M: Spicy yet sweet. Carbonated perfectly- not overpowering, but with substantial kick. Smooth and delicious.

D: Awesome through and through. If it didn't contain alcohol, I think I could drink several bottles tonight without getting tired! In my opinion it is the perfect IPA-- complete with all the power and intensity, but crafted in such a way that it can be truly enjoyed over a long period of time, and in larger quantities without being overwhelming to the taste buds. (1,403 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

Bottle Pours a cloudy amber with a big off white head. The head lasts well and laces quite well also. Has a good hoppy aroma of spruce with a slight touch of sweet malts. Has a good carbonation and a wonderful mouthfeel. The flavor is good. A real nice bitterness. The alcohol is hidden well. Very well blended and balanced. Has an oily texture. A medium to full body. The finish is bold and hearty with a great lingering aftertaste. I liked the Double Simcoe but I love this. (476 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours a dark amber orangish in color. There's a huge, growing, three to four inches of head forming on the pour. Without a drink, it would have overflowed the glass. Be careful on the pour.
Smell is glorious, sticky and skunky hops. What a glorious thing. GB the simcoe hop!
Taste is more simcoe hop. Plenty of stinky, citrusy hops. This is a damn good beer. This needs to be a date stamped year round offering. This beer deserves to be drank in it's stankiest form. Plenty of bitterness and juiciness in the mouthfeel. Full body as well.
I already like their regular Double Simcoe offering, but this is just something else. I absolutely love this beer. I could drink this every day. Kudos to Weyerbacher for this amazing beer. This is among the best DIPA's I've had. (770 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from a bottle into a 10.5 oz snifter at Union Jack's in Boyertown, Pa.

A: Dark ruby colored, amazing one inch sized, ivory-colored, head. Lacing was beautiful, and covered the glass throughout.

S: Wow! Mango, grapefruit and pineapple! The hop assualt on the nose is combined with a low-malt backbone, which is of the biscuit variety.

T: Super, super, SUPER citrusy and juicy! This may be the most citrusy IIPA that I have had to date. MANGO! - A bit of tart grapefruit, looking for some pineapple that the nose suggested, and I found it as the beer warmed up a bit. Backing up the hop profile is just what I got from the nose; some bready/biscuity/malty backbone. Also, near the end of my experience I encountered some piney hops, which was very pleasant.

M: Medium bodied, great carbonation, and a low to moderate amount of oiliness/ stickiness left from the hops. The amount of resin left was lower than I would have expected for the style, which is my only complaint about this beer.

D: I love the direction that Dan Weyerbacher took with this brew. I have been waiting for a brewery around here to brew a beer this special, in this beer style. This is a beer that I wish would never end up being gone. Hopefully this beer turns into a year round release, or at least a season or rotating brew. Cheers Weyerbacher, you really impressed me! (1,354 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber

A-Copper color, cloudy, loads and loads of offwhite head with good retention. lacing covers the sides of the glass and is there to stay

S-citrus grapefruit, orange

T-Notes of pine and grapefruit. grapefruit lingers in the aftertaste

M-Frothy head, good carbonation, some tingle

D-I could drink this beer all day. The alcohol is well hidden and there is no overpowering flavors that could wear you down.

this beer gets better as it comes to room temp. (496 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

A: In the brown bottle it is hard to tell the color but the beer is hazy brown, with a thin layer of yeast on the bottom. When poured into a glass there is a thick light brown head that dissolves very slowly with quite a bit of lacing. The color is brown, nearly opaque. It is not possible to see through the glass at all, it has a hazy unfiltered look to it.

S: Not surprisingly the overwhelming smell is that of fresh hops. There is a very piney, citrusy, bitter hop smell.

T: When it enters your mouth is cool and quickly turns bitter. The bitter taste slowly fades into a piney hop smell that seems to fill your mouth and nose. The beer is very bitter, but is balanced perfectly with the taste of hops. Both flavors come through very strongly giving a very enjoyable taste. There is little or no alcohol taste despite the 9% ABV.

M: The beer is very smooth with an appropriate amount of carbonation. It is not flat, nor is it over carbonated. The light carbonation adds to the experience.

D: Drinkability is hard to judge on a double IPA. On one hand this beer is very smooth, and taste great making it go down easily. On the other hand, the taste is strong enough that I would not want to chug it quickly. With the higher ABV, I could not drink very many before having to stop.

Overall this is a great beer. I am a huge IPA fan and this beer is just what I was looking for when I grabbed a bottle that claimed to be an Unfiltered Double IPA. Delicious, powerful, hoppy flavor that is balanced with just the right amount of bitterness and hops. (1,553 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Thanks to marcpal for rushing a couple of bombers of this highly anticipated brew to MN. Marc sent me my first taste of Double Simcoe which led to a serious addiction & he knew I needed to have this. Salut, my friend!

Split the bomber with my Double Simcoe-loving wife. As expected, this is orange & opaque, with some floaties, even leaving a finger of mush & beer in the bottle. Carbonation is well evident. Just sniffing the cork almost sends me into circle-spinning, arms-waving ecstasy. Damn. If that smell isn't Angel's piss, I don't know what is.

Taste meets the promise of the smell. The hop spruce hits the tongue like liquid wood sap, & the unfiltered yeast is close behind, leaving a weird earthy residue on the tongue, tonsils, & lower intestines. Luckily, it's a welcome guest. I suspect there's malt in there somewhere. Don't need to taste it. Don't care.

Carbonation is a titch high, which mars the absolute perfection of the beer (geez I'm hard to please) & bubbles in the mouth a touch. The alcohol is absent, but can be felt in the head & reasoning centers of the brain. A third of the way through my half of the bomber, & I'm surprised I can still feel my taste buds - the hops haven't lost their lash. I thought they'd be toast by now.

Fantastic beer. I don't know if it's an improvement on the original, which was nearly perfect, but takes it in a new direction that's just as tasty. Highly recommended. (1,430 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from a 750 corked and caged bottle into my Duvel snifter. Thanks Roger (liner81) for picking this up for me. This beer is 6 days old from release.

A: A deep murky, floaty orange color with a huge off white 4 finger head, on a conservative pour no less. Medium to low glass lacing.

S: Pine forest. Pine notes with some orange grapefruit citrus and a deep caramel sweetness. Do I detect a bit of funk? Love those simcoe hops.

T: Wow, this is not your average 2X Simcoe. The massive pine forest hops just blast away. The lighter citrus hops ride along but there is no doubt a huge earthy spicy funk to this beer. Very yeasty, very different, kick ass! The malt is the understudy here, as the hops and the yeast just keep pounding through the flavor. Finish is hops bitterness and spicy yeast. Alcohol creeps in on the end. If I closed my eyes, I would swear this was almost a belgian IPA. This beer is freaking good!

M: Full, coating, bitter, yeasty, it has it all. Alcohol warms at the end, you know this beer packs punch, but it is oh so welcomed.

D: For 9.5%? High. The 750 goes down so easily, it scares me.

Overall I just can't say enough about this beer. I love 2X Simcoe, but this ramps the flavors up tremendously. This is an INCREDIBLE beer, do not miss the opportunity to try. I was going to trade a bunch of bottles, but not now. I need to drink every drop of this awesome beer. Dan Weyerbacher, this may be the best beer you ever made, no kidding. Wow. (1,475 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +18.1%

Received via trade from BA beandip. Can't wait to dig into this bottle. Thanks!

Appearance: First thing to notice about the slow pour is a huge two finger off-white head that is billowy on top and lingers forever. It's the most staying power I've ever seen from a head on a Double IPA. The color is a gorgeous clear orange copper with tons of tiny bubbles rising to the top of the glass. The head is just now (5 minutes later) starting to recede and the lacing is picturesque. If I were attempting to describe perfect lacing to a beginner, this is the beer that I would choose. Overall, this is exactly the appearance I want from my DIPAs!

Smell: This beer smells like Simcoe hops. There's not an overpowering citrus or pineapple scent. Both are present, but in the proper proportions. There's definitely bitterness in the nose, and a slight note of alcohol, but overall, the juniper and pine of the hops prevails.

Taste: This is probably one of the strongest DIPAs I've had, both in terms of taste and texture. The taste is smooth malty goodness, balanced nicely by the pine bitterness of the hops. There's a twinge of sweetness, and a bit of citrus as well. The transition from one flavor to the next is so well done that it's hard to imagine a DIPA without it.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel and texture of this beer are quite astounding. The monstrous head made me wonder if the beer would feel over carbonated, but the remains of the billowy head speaks volumes towards the overall mouthfeel. The wisps on top of the beer are light and airy, which causes the beer to come off genuinely sticky and delicious. The beer coats the tongue and mouth with hoppy goodness, and leaves an aftertaste just begging to be washed down with future sips.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerously quaffable. The 9% ABV is masterfully hidden. The only note was in the nose, but even then, it was well-hidden. The beer itself is a masterpiece with a smooth crescendo of flavors and a striking balance of textures. This beer is a DIPA to behold, and if it's within your trading reach, I'd highly recommend seeking it out! (2,103 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +17.6%

pours a murky amber brown with orange edges that is impenetrable to light and features various shapes of muck floating through the center. looks a little bit like mud. the head is off white, thick and fluffy, with good retention and much lacing. this beer smells absolutely fantastic. one of the best smelling IPAs ive ever tried. HUGE citrus fruitiness and pure hop bliss. Lots of pineapple. great.

WOW. this is about as complex as a DIPA can get. super fruit sweetness up front thats like the juicy-est orange peach hybrid you've ever bit into, with a hint of pineapple. This is followed by an onslaught of grapefruit bitter hoppiness that uncomprimisingly attacks your palate and remains with it well after the finish and into the aftertaste. the alcohol is noticeable (especially in the hot finish) to the degree that i would guess it higher than 9%, and it blends very well with the overall hop bitterness.

mouthfeel is thick and chewy, and perfectly carbonated for its full body. Drinkability takes a hit from the sheer thickness of the beer. very filling.

one of the best ipas ive ever had. (1,100 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +17.4%

WOW

pour leaves a giant cream colored head over murky copper body. huge lacing left behind and thick retention. beautiful!

huge citrus and pine scents, i mean huge. a bit of alcohol hidden within

upfront, giant citrus. mainly grapefruit, pineapple, and tangerine. a bit of grassy earthy flavors. malts are fairly light and hidden behind the simcoe.

very full bodied and very smooth. most of the carbonation comes out in the head leaving a very smooth beer

this is amazing. this tops their regular double simcoe and masks the alcohol much better. this is one great beer although its very strong in flavor so just one at a time but many bottles should be enjoyed. (666 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

Served chilled in a pub Glass.

Appearance: Pours a murky copper-rose color with a large beige head that sustains a long time. Incredible amounts of lacing during drinking.

Smell: Warm, citrus and pine. Mild pineapple smell, slightly earthy. Very hoppy in the smell. Smells slightly sweet. Just I the smell, I know I want to drink it.

Taste: Very well rounded, hoppy and malty sweet all at the same time. Pleasant citrus, pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit, and pine, floral notes. Just the right amount of bitterness on the back.

mouthfeel/drinkability: Medium bodied with full taste. Very pleasant from beginning to end. I could drink this all day, minus the alcohol content.

I'm not sure if it is "better" than the original. (I really liked the original also), but I think this is better balanced, especially with the yeast pour. (835 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

A pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting to find at Woodlake Market in Kohler.

A: Poured into a tulip a dark amber/brown colour with ruby highlights. Enormous head of microscopic dirty-tan bubbles with an orange hue. Fantastic retention, with bubbles constantly cascading to the top of the glass. A crown of lacing is left as the beer recedes. If it were a bit less brown, and more orange, I would have given this a perfect five.

S: Smells punishingly hoppy--the tastebuds recoil in horror. Four elements to the hop character for the most part: A pleasant herbal/floral scent, grapefruit, pine, and spice/pepper. The herbal scent seems to dominate while cold, with some caramel and 2-row backing that come as it warms. A very pleasant raw/grainy smell lingers. Alcohol is there too, though masked well and subdued. While initially more piney/herbal while cold, the grapefruit and pepper/spice emerges after it warms. Skunky.

T: Oddly enough, the malt seems to make a forward appearance with the hops at first taste (while cold). Again, as in the smell, the hops are very piney/herbal/floral with a good degree of pepper/spice. The light caramel malt cuts the bitterness some (not anywhere near "balancing" it) but the piney bitterness and spicy/peppery characters dominate. The alcohol is definitely there, but is worked in phenomenally with the spice. Juicy citrus (orange and sweetened ruby red grapefruit) comes out as the taste buds acclimate and the beverage warms. Residual pleasant bitterness lingers on the tongue. A bready/cake-like character emerges too.

M: Very well done. While highly carbonated, it doesn't get annoyingly so as some Belgian style beer can. No fault here.

D: I can see the allure that simcoe hops bring. While intensely bitter, the edges are well-rounded. I remember this to have a bit more grapefruity character than this--perhaps this is an older bottle and the dry hops have faded some (searched the bottle and there is no clue of a date). I really like this beer more after it warms a bit. The sweetness emerges to develop the delightful grapefruit and orange citrus flavours. Pungent and intense, yet smooth. Spicy/peppery and floral/herbal.

Damn near a perfect DIPA. I'd like a little more grapefruit character and the slightest bit of reduced spicy/peppery flavour. Certainly one of the best I have ever had. (2,356 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

This poured an opaque copper with tons of light tan head. It was difficult to smell through all the head, but it had scents of rose and pineapple hops with some sweet caramel malt. It tasted like very fresh floral and peach and copper hops, with some honey and caramel sweetness. It was thick and creamy with subtle carbonation, and had a lasting bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a delicious beer with super fresh flavor. Very bitter, but very clean, and with some balance and complexity too. It also had a fantastic smooth body, and hid the alcohol pretty well. I'd love to try this side by side with some of the other top IIPAs. (633 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

The beer poured out a hazy dark amber with a gigantic beige head. The beer appears to be very thick. The aroma is filled with the strong (and wonderful) Simcoe scent. It is filled with oranges and pine along with toasty notes from the malt.

The mouthfeel is full with moderate carbonation and a medium finish. The taste is filled with biscuity and toasty malt sweetness initially, followed by a nice bitterness constructed of oranges and pine. The alcohol warming is noticeable, but there is no alcohol flavor.

This is a very tasty and enjoyable beer. The substantial hop bite is not harsh and provides a bit of a bite at the end of the swallow that does not linger excessively. (680 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

I have to update this, the last two bottles I've had were terrible. Don't know if it's me or the beer, and it came from Bestway so it's not the handling. It's a shame the brew I first loved I wouldn't take for free right now. The only other brew I've ever turned so harshly on was Stone IPA, and I can't account for the change. Looking back on the note it seems like they're two different brews.

Wow this is one great brew. Pours nice, big head that lasts. Nose is all grapefruit and citrus. The 1st sip is almost magical, it is that good. Nicely hopped nicely bitter, and very well balanced. A deep flavor that finishes really well. Do I detect some oak influence here? Only the ABV hurts the score IMO, the 9+ is a beast. Probably the best DIPA out there right now, and definitely a contender to Hopslam. (807 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +13.2%

750mL corked and caged bottle into a Duvel snifter pours a nice hazy dark amber with a very frothy abundant light tan head. Aroma is a decent amount of nicely balanced pine hops and caramel hops. The taste is a wonderful abundance of pine hops and burnt caramel malts with a nice touch of yeast all blending together very well and leaving a nice bitter but smooth finish, exceptional! The beer is certainly on the heavy side with a decent amount of sticky alcohol, but it is matched nicely with a smooth slight dryness and decent carbonation that makes it fairly tolerable. Overall, this is certainly a huge step up for an already very special beer. I have to beg Weyerbacher to not just leave this as a limited release, retire the filtered version and just release it like this from now on! (791 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a hazy dark amber with a tall tan head.

S- Orange, pineapple, sweet malts, herbal hops.

T- Citrus and herbal hops with a nice malt balance.

M- Pretty much perfect for a DIPA light carbonation and moderate viscosity.

D- It's a great beer with a ton of character and balance. So tasty to drink. The lack of filtering apparently makes this beer great. (361 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle from Tangfoot.

A: Pours a murky, rusty dark amber, with a 1/2" of dense off-white bubbles.

S: Hops hops and hops. Big blast of citrus.

T/M/D: Comes in huge with bitter citrus rind, with a creamy malt sweetness underlying everything. Carbonation is spot on, leading to a thick middle, and a super-drying bitter finish. (333 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 1 pint, 9.4 oz bottle into a nonic. No bottling or best by date. Bottle proclaims "Full bottle conditioned, with yeast sediment," and there is indeed a heavy sediment layer on the bottom of the bottle.

*9% ABV listed on bottle, not 9.5% ABV listed here.

A- Deep, very hazy amber. Obviously unfiltered. Pours with 3 full fingers of creamy, light tan head, which fades slowly to a thin cap, leaving ample lacing as consumed.

S- Grapefruit and pine resin hopiness, which turns somewhat herbal after the initial rush. Subdued sweet, malty notes eek their way in through the avalanche of hop.

T- Wow. Big grapefruit-citrus-pine assault. Nice caramel malt notes provide some balance. Bitterness level is high, with quite a bit of citrus peel bitterness sensation on the finish. Alcohol is fairly impressively blended.

M- Moderate carbonation. Full, creamy, and goes down easy. Really excellent.

D- Impressive. With the big hops bitterness and 9% ABV, probably would want to restrain myself here...good stuff.

Future outlook: Really excellent stuff...I'd be happy to try it again, but it is listed here as a "brewed once" limited edition....so don't know if I'll get to anytime soon. Will be sure to try the "regular" version sometime. (1,250 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +12.7%

Purchased a case of this at the recent Weyerbacher event for this and Foxtrot. This was superior to just about anything they have put out and that says a lot if you can improve on the original 2x simcoe.

I was told by the staff that it would be a good candidate to age but at this point I am very low on the batch so don't see that happening.
Bottle graphics: 7/10.

Looks even better caged, the day previous it was the hit of a graduation party when a couple bottles were busted out for sharing.

A: Big heavy bottle poured into tumbler for this tasting that was done at the start of Memorial Day weekend. Dark gold but pretty transparent. The head on this was especially fluffy, more so than with the kid brother and I love the look of the sediment that came, especially in the final pour.

S: Obliterated by the piney simcoe tree loving hop scents. I could and plan on smelling this to no end. Beatiful smell that meets every standard of a brilliant hop heavy DIPA- the sweetness is clearly there from the malt but nothing is showcased nearly as much as the aroma of the finest kind.

T: Didn't think I would originally be saying this but it is a step up from the regular version. Pure hop goo if that is what you're in to. The presence of the yeast adds a new level of character that really do create a different monster and display the simcoe hops in a way that leaves the lips smacking. There is a sweetness that is also in its original that make this a mind boggingly good beer.

M: Terrific creaminess. Sure you have to like a bitter beatdown but if thats what you crave with some yeasty texture, this is one for you. The burn is not too much but at least gives you fair warning of what this carries.

D: This was a nice change of pace on a great beer. I usually don't like tweaking with some of my favorites, but this truly is a different creature. If you plan on tasting other beers after this, not a good idea. Your flavor sensing taste buds will have nothing left. (1,978 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a dark, murky rustic-orange with a rapidly rising and towering 3 finger foamy beige colored head that calved and formed a devils tower structure. The initial retention was very good, after the second pour all that sticky caramel malt and hop oils coated the glass and the head became ever lasting refusing to go down. The lacing was thick spongey and clumpy , near full sheet, coating the entire glass on the way down. Visible carbonation was feverishly strong. A beautiful deep rustic coloring, sturdy head and bright carbonation would be hard to improve on.

S: sweet juicy grapefruit with wet fresh pine exploding from the beginning. Sweet caramel adds a nice sense of maltiness that was creamy and deliciously represented.

T: Sticky sweet caramelized grains with dry grapefruit flowery hopping slaps the taste buds into submission right from the start. Bitter pine and a dry grassiness parches the tongue while a caramelized grain sweetness offers glimpses of balance. The finish finds an intense dry flowery bitterness of grapefruit, grass, and pine all delivered by a brisk and strong carbonation compliments of its unfiltered and bottle conditioning. Bitterly dry and packs a wallop.

M: full bodied with a lusciously creamy and sticky caramel coating the tongue. Sticky hop oils and bitter dry flowery hopping parches the tongue after the swallow. The carbonation is very healthy and active here bringing out the brisk and bitter nature.

D: Very good drinkability, well hopped, dry but very manageable for the seasoned ipa drinker. Comes with a great enjoyment factor. (1,592 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thank you to the kind BA who sent this one my way. I had been waiting a long time to try this one, and was super stoked to see it in the fridge. Served chilled and poured into a goblet, this one was consumed on 06/11/2009.

The pour was damn near perfect, well it was perfect. Huge foam head that would go nowhere. Rich lacing dripping down the sides of the glass and really just giving this one a huge overall look to it. Nice hazy amber color, this was what I want all dipa to look like. Lots of earthy hop notes here, really nicely done I have to say. Very well balanced with loads of pine notes and an un wavering malty touch to it. Smooth,even carbonation and a freshness that made it almost sticky at times. This was just perfectly balanced taste and much fuller and more robust then the original.

Overall I thought it was excellent. So nice to see this very well balanced beast as opposed to the shredding west coast ipas that we normally see. This is a winner in my book for sure. (995 characters)

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.