Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA
No picture uploaded.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Birdiebeagle on 05-19-2009)
Hoops4life511

GoBIG

08-16-2012 16:44:34 | More by GoBIG
nlmartin

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

This beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass. Where to start this beer review? Double Simcoe was really awesome the first time I had a bottle. My very first beer trade I traded a bunch of Double Simcoe Bombers.

Appearance: The beer is definately unfiltered. The beers normally bright amber / orange body is kind of murky. Some may find the murkyness of the beer unappetizing. Me I know its loaded with unfiltered yeasty goodness! The head is a finger and a half with pretty good retention. The head didnt fall as soon as it hit my mustache. Thick rings of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The aroma hits all the right notes. The pine is resinous, the citrus is kicking up grapefruit and pineapple. This would truly be hard to improve upon.

Taste: The beer delivers long lasting pine flavors, honestly taste like what I would expect my Christmas tree to taste like. Then the hops start heading into the citrus notes love grapefruit flavors in beer. Oddly enough I used to hate the flavor of grapefruit. Perhaps I should give a grapefruit another try? Discipline back to the beer. Then the hops dip down into grassy notes. Oddly enough the hops kind of cycle. The malt is definately supporting this hopped up DIPA. This is definately a ballsy hoppy monster.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is full. The carbonation works well with the beers overall character. The hops are very resinous and oily delivering a long lasting flavor on my palate. I am a bit distressed how fast I have destroyed a bottle of this beer. Almost ready to crack a second bottle. This beer is a hop heads dream - literally a form of liquid crack.

06-01-2009 03:08:45 | More by nlmartin
LittleBug31

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

A: Beautiful pinkish-brown with a huge tan head that shows no evidence of diminishing. Cloudy appearance with lively bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Warm and delightful-looking.

S: Dreamy grapefruit and flowery/fruity notes. Sweetened herbal tea. Caramel and brown sugar. Sweet and light... if noses could show emotion, mine would be very happy...

T: Perfect blend of malt and hops that complement each other perfectly. The extreme hops dominate. Bitter yet sweet, powerful yet mild... Huge grapefruit and piney flavor with lots of spiciness that hits your tongue right away, and even burns my lips a bit. The aftertaste contains very little bitterness, and instead blends into a mellow malty taste. These two compliment each other very nicely to form what I believe is pretty much the perfect taste. A hidden flowery taste that is hard to pick out among the strong flavors-- but is evident in the aftertaste.

M: Spicy yet sweet. Carbonated perfectly- not overpowering, but with substantial kick. Smooth and delicious.

D: Awesome through and through. If it didn't contain alcohol, I think I could drink several bottles tonight without getting tired! In my opinion it is the perfect IPA-- complete with all the power and intensity, but crafted in such a way that it can be truly enjoyed over a long period of time, and in larger quantities without being overwhelming to the taste buds.

01-17-2010 05:21:06 | More by LittleBug31
washburnkid

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

750mL poured into a tulip, over and over again.

A: A massive head erupts at the pour and covers an opaque melding of amber and caramel hues. The head is beige and bubbly. The retention is wonderfully puffy and spotty lacing.
S: Big fruits, especially citrus. Pineapple and ripe mandarin. Herbals and florals are working their way in, too. Not much malt comes through until about an hour into the session. It's bready but can barely peek its head through the fresh, hoppy goodness.
T: I do get a bit more caramel malt in the flavor right away, but it doesn't dominate the hops one bit. Not even close. Hops are killer ripe citrus (same as the aroma), but bittersweet just enough. All the usual suspects in a fresh DIPA.
M: Medium body and high carbonation gives me a tingly feeling. Tons of residuals and a drying sense.
D: This beer ends just as hoppy as it began. It took me about two or three hours to kill the whole bottle, and it was absolutely delicious. One of the best DIPAs out there.

09-09-2009 18:53:58 | More by washburnkid
Birdiebeagle

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Bottle Pours a cloudy amber with a big off white head. The head lasts well and laces quite well also. Has a good hoppy aroma of spruce with a slight touch of sweet malts. Has a good carbonation and a wonderful mouthfeel. The flavor is good. A real nice bitterness. The alcohol is hidden well. Very well blended and balanced. Has an oily texture. A medium to full body. The finish is bold and hearty with a great lingering aftertaste. I liked the Double Simcoe but I love this.

05-19-2009 22:21:44 | More by Birdiebeagle
FtownThrowDown

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Pours a dark amber orangish in color. There's a huge, growing, three to four inches of head forming on the pour. Without a drink, it would have overflowed the glass. Be careful on the pour.
Smell is glorious, sticky and skunky hops. What a glorious thing. GB the simcoe hop!
Taste is more simcoe hop. Plenty of stinky, citrusy hops. This is a damn good beer. This needs to be a date stamped year round offering. This beer deserves to be drank in it's stankiest form. Plenty of bitterness and juiciness in the mouthfeel. Full body as well.
I already like their regular Double Simcoe offering, but this is just something else. I absolutely love this beer. I could drink this every day. Kudos to Weyerbacher for this amazing beer. This is among the best DIPA's I've had.

06-02-2009 21:31:05 | More by FtownThrowDown
aglose45

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a bottle into a 10.5 oz snifter at Union Jack's in Boyertown, Pa.

A: Dark ruby colored, amazing one inch sized, ivory-colored, head. Lacing was beautiful, and covered the glass throughout.

S: Wow! Mango, grapefruit and pineapple! The hop assualt on the nose is combined with a low-malt backbone, which is of the biscuit variety.

T: Super, super, SUPER citrusy and juicy! This may be the most citrusy IIPA that I have had to date. MANGO! - A bit of tart grapefruit, looking for some pineapple that the nose suggested, and I found it as the beer warmed up a bit. Backing up the hop profile is just what I got from the nose; some bready/biscuity/malty backbone. Also, near the end of my experience I encountered some piney hops, which was very pleasant.

M: Medium bodied, great carbonation, and a low to moderate amount of oiliness/ stickiness left from the hops. The amount of resin left was lower than I would have expected for the style, which is my only complaint about this beer.

D: I love the direction that Dan Weyerbacher took with this brew. I have been waiting for a brewery around here to brew a beer this special, in this beer style. This is a beer that I wish would never end up being gone. Hopefully this beer turns into a year round release, or at least a season or rotating brew. Cheers Weyerbacher, you really impressed me!

06-22-2009 03:38:07 | More by aglose45
beerbully

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber

A-Copper color, cloudy, loads and loads of offwhite head with good retention. lacing covers the sides of the glass and is there to stay

S-citrus grapefruit, orange

T-Notes of pine and grapefruit. grapefruit lingers in the aftertaste

M-Frothy head, good carbonation, some tingle

D-I could drink this beer all day. The alcohol is well hidden and there is no overpowering flavors that could wear you down.

this beer gets better as it comes to room temp.

02-28-2010 20:42:59 | More by beerbully
Fazulka

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

A: In the brown bottle it is hard to tell the color but the beer is hazy brown, with a thin layer of yeast on the bottom. When poured into a glass there is a thick light brown head that dissolves very slowly with quite a bit of lacing. The color is brown, nearly opaque. It is not possible to see through the glass at all, it has a hazy unfiltered look to it.

S: Not surprisingly the overwhelming smell is that of fresh hops. There is a very piney, citrusy, bitter hop smell.

T: When it enters your mouth is cool and quickly turns bitter. The bitter taste slowly fades into a piney hop smell that seems to fill your mouth and nose. The beer is very bitter, but is balanced perfectly with the taste of hops. Both flavors come through very strongly giving a very enjoyable taste. There is little or no alcohol taste despite the 9% ABV.

M: The beer is very smooth with an appropriate amount of carbonation. It is not flat, nor is it over carbonated. The light carbonation adds to the experience.

D: Drinkability is hard to judge on a double IPA. On one hand this beer is very smooth, and taste great making it go down easily. On the other hand, the taste is strong enough that I would not want to chug it quickly. With the higher ABV, I could not drink very many before having to stop.

Overall this is a great beer. I am a huge IPA fan and this beer is just what I was looking for when I grabbed a bottle that claimed to be an Unfiltered Double IPA. Delicious, powerful, hoppy flavor that is balanced with just the right amount of bitterness and hops.

06-24-2009 16:35:47 | More by Fazulka
COBeerBuff

Kansas

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Received via trade from BA beandip. Can't wait to dig into this bottle. Thanks!

Appearance: First thing to notice about the slow pour is a huge two finger off-white head that is billowy on top and lingers forever. It's the most staying power I've ever seen from a head on a Double IPA. The color is a gorgeous clear orange copper with tons of tiny bubbles rising to the top of the glass. The head is just now (5 minutes later) starting to recede and the lacing is picturesque. If I were attempting to describe perfect lacing to a beginner, this is the beer that I would choose. Overall, this is exactly the appearance I want from my DIPAs!

Smell: This beer smells like Simcoe hops. There's not an overpowering citrus or pineapple scent. Both are present, but in the proper proportions. There's definitely bitterness in the nose, and a slight note of alcohol, but overall, the juniper and pine of the hops prevails.

Taste: This is probably one of the strongest DIPAs I've had, both in terms of taste and texture. The taste is smooth malty goodness, balanced nicely by the pine bitterness of the hops. There's a twinge of sweetness, and a bit of citrus as well. The transition from one flavor to the next is so well done that it's hard to imagine a DIPA without it.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel and texture of this beer are quite astounding. The monstrous head made me wonder if the beer would feel over carbonated, but the remains of the billowy head speaks volumes towards the overall mouthfeel. The wisps on top of the beer are light and airy, which causes the beer to come off genuinely sticky and delicious. The beer coats the tongue and mouth with hoppy goodness, and leaves an aftertaste just begging to be washed down with future sips.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerously quaffable. The 9% ABV is masterfully hidden. The only note was in the nose, but even then, it was well-hidden. The beer itself is a masterpiece with a smooth crescendo of flavors and a striking balance of textures. This beer is a DIPA to behold, and if it's within your trading reach, I'd highly recommend seeking it out!

09-19-2009 02:39:27 | More by COBeerBuff
maximum12

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Thanks to marcpal for rushing a couple of bombers of this highly anticipated brew to MN. Marc sent me my first taste of Double Simcoe which led to a serious addiction & he knew I needed to have this. Salut, my friend!

Split the bomber with my Double Simcoe-loving wife. As expected, this is orange & opaque, with some floaties, even leaving a finger of mush & beer in the bottle. Carbonation is well evident. Just sniffing the cork almost sends me into circle-spinning, arms-waving ecstasy. Damn. If that smell isn't Angel's piss, I don't know what is.

Taste meets the promise of the smell. The hop spruce hits the tongue like liquid wood sap, & the unfiltered yeast is close behind, leaving a weird earthy residue on the tongue, tonsils, & lower intestines. Luckily, it's a welcome guest. I suspect there's malt in there somewhere. Don't need to taste it. Don't care.

Carbonation is a titch high, which mars the absolute perfection of the beer (geez I'm hard to please) & bubbles in the mouth a touch. The alcohol is absent, but can be felt in the head & reasoning centers of the brain. A third of the way through my half of the bomber, & I'm surprised I can still feel my taste buds - the hops haven't lost their lash. I thought they'd be toast by now.

Fantastic beer. I don't know if it's an improvement on the original, which was nearly perfect, but takes it in a new direction that's just as tasty. Highly recommended.

05-23-2009 01:53:18 | More by maximum12
Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.