Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA
No picture.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Birdiebeagle on 05-19-2009

Ratings: 410 | Reviews: 219
1.4/5  rDev -65.4%

Oh dear God, why do I not learn from my mistakes? Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, deserving of an upper cut sack blast.

Monstrously billowy pour with more head than your run of the mill smut film. What's the deal with the carbonation here? Way out of place and not complimentary by any stretch.

Since the nose and smell are so similar, let's comment as such. Imagine huffing gasoline through a stale plantain laden hose. A little bit of Mobil grade 87 and a bit of Chiquita bananas set aflame and doused with an overly vigorous blanket of Belgian yeast. Oh, no!!!

Please don't make me drink anymore. The next sip goes straight to Davey Jones's locker.

1.65/5  rDev -59.3%

Stick with the filtered variety!

I'm an avid homebrewer and I've only had one truly bad batch - it had all the same flaws and characteristics as this brew that cost ten bucks a bomber, so much so that I was reminded of that beer the moment I smelled and tasted this one.

Slow gusher started creeping up the sides of the bottle neck befor I poured, which cast a THICK head that stuck around til I finished the pint. Massively overcarbonated, which usually means one of three things - incomplete fermentation, too much carbing sugar added, or infection. I've read they use a belgian strain for carbing, so perhaps that strain is just more attenuative than the one they use for primary fermentation, and thus consumes additional wort sugars and arbs more than they want. Either way, you expect this type of flaw from a rookie homebrew, not a commercial limited release brew.

A - murky copper. Clearly unfiltered, but it appears they also avoided any clarifying techniques. The giant head stuck around til I finished the beer.
S - harsh belgian funk mixed with hops, overcarbination and oxidation
T - like it smells; the simcoe resin/dank/pine thing is there, but the harsh yeast flavors, awkwardly cloying caramel notes, acrid overcarbination and cardboard oxidation overpower it.
M - creamy, sticky, much fuller and long lasting than I'd expect from anything in the IPA/DIPA family
D - poor. Sticky/creamy fullness combined with awkward malt/yeast/hop flavor interaction make this one a 'swallow and squint' beer.

I've gotta say, I really love simcoe as a hop and am an IPA fanatic. I enjoy the regular filtered version, which may be the reason this bre caught me so offguard.

Don't buy.

1.91/5  rDev -52.8%

Super, super thick head over opaque nut brown color. Thing is, the foam was sort of thick and pasty. Also, I should add that blond beers look better unfiltered than darker ones do. At least in my opinion.

Not much aroma outside the booze and, well, sorry to say, a rather faint vomit-like smell. How unfortunate. Getting past that, I just get a ton of caramel and nondescript bitterness.

I guess, at least for me, I don't like bitter for bitters sake, I see bitter as a bit of a necessary evil that comes along with all the vibrancy and interesting aromas and flavors that hops provide. This had neither of those and just bitterness. Not cool at all.

I tried this beer after not being all that impressed with the regular double simcoe but seeing how many loved both that beer, and particularly this beer in a recent thread. Surely I was missing something. Well, perhaps I still am. I shared the beer with a few other tasters and nobody finished theirs.

Also, I bought the beer from a reputable store and took it straight home to my fridge.

2.26/5  rDev -44.2%

(From Notes)

Talk about a huge disparity in appearance, smell, and taste!

The appearance was great, with a fluid, orange-amber color with a thick head.

Strong hops in the nose with a definite weissebier smell.

Citrusy, watery, and really sweet and sour. Really surprising seeing how good it looked and smelled to this point.

Finishes like sour butterscotch and alchoholic malts. Too little carbonation. Filter the damn thing!!!!

2.34/5  rDev -42.2%

Thanks to mdfb79 for hitting yet another one of my wants! Cheers.

*Notes from a tasting this past weekend.

I will start off by stating that I am always skeptical of a corked and caged IPA....this brew only confirms my doubts.

A: Pours a dark cloudy amber color with some orange hues in the light. I think a previous review stated tobacco color and that is pretty dead on. Super huge cakey head of khaki colored foam that just spackled the glass with lace.

S: Hardly any nose to this brew at all. I pick up mostly clean fresh water and a little bit of spicy hops.

T: Gobs of caramel candy sweetness. Cloying even. With this weird clove and ginger spice flavor going on. Like they dropped your Grandma's 10yr old candy dish in the boil and then dry hopped with her clove-spice filled potpourri bag. Not right at all! I dont get any sense of hops here let alone Simcoes. And then, even better, the alcohol really comes through and lites it all on fire.

M: Mouthfeel is sticky across the palate with an overall creamy texture and a bit of alcohol warming.

D: Borderline drainpour for me. My bro even stopped drinking his glass after a just few sips. By my 15th gulp my exact words were "God, that was awful" with a grimace.

Maybe it's me and I just don't get it with all the great reviews here...but this beer tastes closer to some kind of Holiday Spice Ale than any IPA I have ever had. Really not doing the Simcoes any justice here. Too damn sweet and just an off-putting clove flavor. This one is rating pretty low in my book.

2.35/5  rDev -42%

Corked and Caged 750. Right off the bat, I didn't like this beer. It poured a full 4 inches of homebrew-esque head. Murky body due to being unfiltered. A 4 inch head? On a DIPA? The aroma is Belgian yeast? WTF? Is this an American IIPA? After doing some research I found that this beer is actually bottled conditioned with a Belgian style strain of yeast. There are definitely some sticky, dank, Simcoe hops but they're masked by a downright offensive combination of yeasts and a weird malt bill. What the hell happened here? This thing is an absolute trainwreck. The ONLY redeeming quality this beer has is excellent mouthfeel. Super sticky.

I honestly cannot believe that this beer made it into bottles and the brewer and tasters said "Yes!". This beer is absolutely brutal. My worst batch of homebrew ever was better than this god awful excuse for beer. Sorry Weyerbacher. Swing and a miss....

2.6/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

750ml bottle split three ways. Poured into NB snifter. Best before 01/27/11. Huge thanks to StormKing47 for the extra!

A: Pours a very dark, hazy, raisin colored amber with extremely active billowing light tan head that foamed up in the glass before taking its time to fade into a thin bubbly film that left spots of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Smells of pine, grass, and everything nature. There is a whiff of alcohol on the nose as well. There is a layer of citrus as well.
T: Blast of alcohol almost overpowers the flavor, but the dominant flavor is definitely of simcoe hops (duh). Hop flavors are leafy, earthy, and herbal, with notes of honey and tea in the finish. Aftertaste minty but astringent and warm.
M: I'm not loving how this sits in my mouth. It's boozy, which isn't usually a problem, but combined with the crazy carbonation and bitterness this is becoming a chore to drink.
D: We left the last couple inches in the bottle when we drank this, and when we poured it into an empty glass it looked like chocolate milk. They weren't kidding when they said unfiltered! Probably much better fresh.

2.83/5  rDev -30.1%

I had this one once before, but have since forgotten all about it.

A: Poured a mohogany color, with a huge soapy head (like most unfiltered beers), and fairly moderate carbonation. Even though it looks more like an amber to me, I've seen weirder.

S: Smells of grass, hay, a bit of sweetness (in an organic, sugar cane kind of way, as opposed to a candy one), and a tinge of booze.

T: Very boozy, then the unpleasant lawn-clipping quality hits the palate. Not pleasant. This brew would benefit greatly from just a tinge more sweetness, even a bit more syrupiness.

M: The booze killed me! No, not the bloodstream, but the taste buds. The bitter grassiness just lingered, almost as if it was begging me to stop drinking. The carbonation was sufficient.

D: I asked myself during the session, "Do I just not like Simcoe?" The answer: I think I still do despite my misgivings about this well regarded brew. Heck, the Mikeller Simcoe was excellent! I just don't think the Weyerbacher taste profile worked in this setting.

2.87/5  rDev -29.1%

Poured from the bomber into my Duvel Tulip.

A - Brown-orange color with a big off white head. This head doesn't want to go away!

S - Subdued mango citrus smell with hints of pine and a bit of alcohol. This beer doesn't have the smell of a stellar DIPA. I had to really take a big whiff to get anything from this.

T - Very different taste from your normal DIPA. Pretty well balanced with lots of caramel malt flavors. A nice amount of hop bitterness is in there brings some citrus flavors to play. This beer has a unique flavor but I'm not all that sure I care for it too much.

M - Medium body with a fair amount of carbonation.

D - I don't really care for this one that much. The flavor isn't really wowing me. This beer isn't awful but it just isn't that great. There is nothing that doesn't make this beer drinkable other than me not caring much for the flavor. I don't see myself picking this one up again.

2.88/5  rDev -28.9%

Undated 1 pt 9.4 fl oz bottle purchased from Princeton Liquors in Maple Grove, MN. Poured at 4C (and warmer over the session) into a fluted beer glass.

A: Hay copper body with a ton of tan head and decent lacing.
S: A dank aroma with notes of booze, caramel and a hint of pine.
T: It falls off the rails for a DIPA here. Where are the hops? Molasses, some sweetness and a thick, barley wine like body dominate the palate. Boozy. Barely any discernible hop flavour. Gravely disappointing. What do Simcoe hops taste like? I have no clue after having this malt forward beer.
M: Thick, sweet and a hint of bitterness. Not enough bitterness compared to the maltiness.
O: Was this an old bottle? No way to tell, but I sure as hell hope this was. No where near a DIPA. Not what I was wanting nor thinking I was getting.

3.01/5  rDev -25.7%

This was my first corked & caged beer as well as first all simcoe hopped beer. The head on this thing was the best thing going IMO. Poured into a 20 ounce snifter, I could only get about 4 ounces in there before the head took over. This was huge tan fluffy head that was real eye candy. The smell was what you expect of a DIPA, tropical fruit, pine and citrus. I did not get the cat pee smell and I have 3 cats. The taste itself was bitter hops, a little pineapple, and some caramel as well. I spilled a few drops on my counter top during the first pour and those drops got very sticky because I did not clean them up right away. I believe this has a good amount of malt in it. The 9% alcohol was hidden about half way through the 750 but became more apparent towards the end as it warmed. One particular sip past the half way mark mad me say "whoa, there's the alcohol". I think my review would have been more favorable if not for the amount to drink. I would have preferred about half as much.

3.07/5  rDev -24.2%

I was amped to pick up this bottle. I passed it up last summer, and later had the regular Double Simcoe. Knowing that this is one of Weyerbacher's highest rated beers I was surprised to see lots of negative feedback on this year's bottling. As I opened the bottle I hoped some now my bottle wouldnt behave in the same way the other previous reviews are saying.

Popped the cork with a loud pop. Its a slightly mangled up cork but the seal seemed ok anyway.

A- That massive, excessive head people were talking about reared it head to me. Its overly big, sand colored and difficult to drink through. It fades slowly but you have to pour even slower. The beer is a clouded rusty, murky brown/red. Its quite dark. The dirty colored head and muddy beer makes it look like it actually has dirt in it.

S- Very interesting smell. Lots of unusual hop smells with belgian funky, musty yeast. It all smells like those old, gross "cowtail" candies. Its not totally disgusting but its not bright, hoppy and fresh like I wanted.

T- Taste is much better than every other aspect so far. Lots of hops overtop some Belgian yeast flavors of dark fruits and toasty malts. Its good but still odd.

M- The carbonation has totally run away. It explodes in the mouth. The bubbles seem to puff out. It feels like the beer is expanding in your mouth. It totally gets in the way of any sort of body.

D- Wow, I dont know about this one. I heard it was really good. Maybe this years batch got away from them.

3.07/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured 750 ML into a 13 oz tulip glass, bottled 11/04/11& best by 7/04/12. Pours a dark murky orange red with a two inch off white head, with orange highlights, and thick lacing everywhere. Smell is lots of clove, banana, hints of pine, and maybe a little citrus. Taste is similar, with some grapefruit in the finish. Body is large, enough life, not overly dry, and easy drinking if you like Belgian IPAs this is perfect for you. I understand it isn't really fresh, but this way more Belgian than DIPA.

3.08/5  rDev -24%

Pours a VERY murky muddy brown color with a vibrant head that is very slow to recede. I have to say, I have never seen a DIPA that looks like this.

The smell is rich with powerful smelling earthy simcoe hops. Sound weird but, I get an earthy dirty smelling grapefruit odor. I don't catch a whole lot of malty sweetness in the nose, but I am sure it's in there somewhere.

There it is. The taste kicks off with an overly rich toasty, toffee flavor that is proof of malt used in this brew. These flavors are quickly canceled out by a rush of very bitter pine and dirty citrus rind. There is moderate warmth in the finish, you definitely taste the 9% here. I had one of these a couple days ago, but today the flavors seem a little off from what I remember.

The mouthfeel is on the heavy side for a DIPA, rich and chewy. It almost feels like it was pumped off of a cask. Low carbonation and warm on the finish.

Drinkability is on the low end here, boozy, overly bitter and heavy. The 750 will go down, but another would not be in line.

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

Popped the cork and poured it into a tulip glass. A dirty red color with two fingers of tight off-white head that held.
Blunted citrus smell. It really just smells like a bag of hop cones, probably Simcoe hops.
Strong bitterness, lots of hops and fairly malty. I feel like I am chewing on the Simcoe cones.
Medium bodied, moderate to higher carbonation. Fits the IPA bill.
While it is enjoyable, I am not getting anything special out of it. It is a good IPA, but it does not standout from most others.

3.21/5  rDev -20.7%

Mediocre ratings nearly across the board--yikes, when I joined BA a couple of weeks ago I told myself I'd review only beers I found toothsome, but nothing ever happens the way one anticipates, so, in the interest of balance, here goes....

Poured into an oversized snifter. Appearance is a murky, hazy, yellowish copper with an enormous head which takes awhile to dissipate. Liquid/foam ratio was like 20/80 at the outset, which bodes ill for the impatient, thirsty beer aficionado. This first impression was an ominous indication of the trajectory this imbiming session, and hence this review, would take.

Ascertaining the composition, or even the presence, of the aroma took some effort. There was certainly no blast of hop mist as I snapped the cap or poured the contents of the bomber into the drinking vessel. Upon closer, almost exhaustive inspection, I sensed a whisper of muted earthy hoppiness.

Alcohol plays an unwelcome and distracting role in every facet of the flavor of this beer, particularly in the finish, where it dominates and leaves one's palate with a final, dismissive impression of the beer as a whole. Otherwise, there is a tart, soapy lupulin component that contributes to an asymmetry that makes this beer seem harsh and undesirable. Very astringent. Some hopeful flavor components like grapefruit rind make their way through the maelstrom, but their efforts at attaining harmony and balance ultimately turn out to be Chamberlainian.

Mouthfeel is unpleasantly sticky; medium carbonation.

In spite of the obviously high alcohol content I had no trouble polishing off a bomber of this stuff. A matter of acclimation, really. This stuff isn't harsh just because of the alcohol.

An awkwardly assembled frankenstein of a IIPA.

3.26/5  rDev -19.5%

Picked this up and dragged it back to KC on my latest trip to Boston.

This beer pours a dark, hazy root beer brown with a massive 4 inch beige head that leaves some serious lacing as the beer recedes in my glass. Weyerbacher really did make a pretty beer. The aroma is massive piny hops with grapefruit, orange, and just a hint of grass. Also to be noted their is a rather prevalent solvent-like alcohol aroma to it. With the pine, it kind of reminds me of Pine Sol. The flavor is much the same with pine, grapefruit and lemon smacking you in the face but the huge booze flavor really puts a damper on the majority of the flavor profile. There is way to much alcohol for it to be covered up by the rest of the flavor profile. The solvent like booze kind of numbs my tongue. Its a rather odd sensation. I assume its what like a low strength Novocaine applied to the tongue would feel like. Otherwise the body is rather full for an DIPA. Nice malty body with the majority of the sweetness cut out. This would have been a great beer if it wasn't for the booze. It really needed to be hidden quite a bit more.

3.28/5  rDev -19%

Welcome to Australia!!!
NO corked and caged??? Sigh, just a 12 oz bottle

A-- Poured a light cola color and settled a dark amber ruby color. Nice look to this. One finger light tan head. Helhd up extremely well. A good few minutes at half a finger and the rest of the time a thick film/ collar. One good ring of lacing on the glass.

S-- Pungent, yet crisp and lively. Pungent grapefruit, orange and pine. Like walking through a Pine forest after rain. Good malt backbone to this.

T-- Lots of carmel covered orange and grapefruit. Slightly slick and sweet. Good amount of bitterness to this. Has some barleywine tones to this.

M-- Burnt toffee with orange medicinal qualities. Low carbonation, oily, and orange cough syrup medicinal. Hard orange/grapefruit medicinal finish with burnt toffee.

O-- Good looking, good nose, and good taste to start. Then it got real medicinal. Decent enough for one, maybe two. Stick with the West Coast DIPA's

3.36/5  rDev -17%

750ml bottle poured into tulips.

A = I must admit the appearance of this surprised me. I picked up two bottles. One for trade and one to consume. Both were kind of murky when I bought them, but the one for trade sat around at room temp for a couple days and by the time I packaged it, it seemed fairly clear. I had expected that the one I had in the fridge must have cleared up some, too, and when I pulled it out it clearly had separated between some yeast-looking sludge and some much more clear liquid. However, when I poured into the glass even though gently, I ended up with a translucent orange-amber liquid. It is attractive, but I was somewhat surprised. It formed a huge foamy bone white head that had good retention and left heavy tracing as it receded and as I drank.

S = Wow, very strong smells of crushed pine needles and just a hint of cat piss. I get virtually nothing else out of the smell, so it is a little simple, but you cannot claim you will be surprised they named it for the hops it uses.

T = There is more going on in the flavor than I expected from the smell. I get a light flavor of unsweetened ginger beer, some spices such as pure cinnamon, also maybe just a little bit of maple extract (some of the flavor but none of the sweetness of maple syrup). The bitterness quotient is high and there is a long dry, bitter finish.

M = Medium to medium-heavy body, good mouthcoating, frothy smooth feel.

D = I don't know about this one. I kind of like the mouthfeel, but the smell is really too one note (and a strong note at that) to make me fully enjoy raising the glass to my face drink after drink. I will come revisit this one though because I am getting the sense that I am just not that into DIPAs at the moment and that may be affecting my review. I am pretty sure this is as good or better than the filtered version and yet I seem to recall giving it a better score.

3.39/5  rDev -16.3%

Thrown in as an excellent extra from BA masterchiefMD. Thanks dude!

Pours a murky orangy brown with an absolutely explosive head. Pour delicately! The color of the beer wasn't too appealing, but its head was beautiful and ideal; crazy retention and massive fluffy lacing all the way down the glass.

The scent is quite bizarre. Lots of peppery hoppiness backed with a woody, earthy, almost smoky scent.

The taste follows suit somewhat. There is a bit of that smoke and earth taste followed by an epic blast of bitter, peppery hops to round things out. Far less tropical fruits or citrus than I expected based on reviews and my admittedly limited knowledge of simcoe hops. Alcohol is VERY well hidden.

Mouthfeel is nicely clean, but definitely on the overcarbonated side of things.

Drinkability is high. Despite all of the claims of prominent sweetness within these reviews, I found this to be quite dry.

Overall, not bad, but I wouldn't get it again. Very strange, but pretty enjoyable. Seems almost like another beer entirely when compared to other reviews here. Odd.

3.43/5  rDev -15.3%

From the 750 mL bottle to a pint glass. No date on my bottle but I can only imagine it is fresh. The hop intensity was ridiculous..

A: The appearance is a thing of beauty. The head was bone white, 3 fingers easy, and so rocky it was falling over itself. And I poured the Double Simcoe as gently as possible. The head retention was in another time zone. Picture-worthy lacing. The body was richly brown, medium saturation of color, and showcased orange and tawny tints. So hazy and, with the yeast sediment still getting situated, I'd say it was heavily cloudy or even murky.

S: More malt backbone (bread, grains & straw) than I expected, which is probably a good thing since the hop content is enormous. I definitely appreciate the single hop profile. Give the simcoe its 15 minutes (or a solid hour in my case). The hop intensity borders on harsh here, hitting big grassy notes and a mixture of pine, resin and a light citrus flare of orange and lemon. The yeast contributes medium strength doughy/sweaty/soapy/cheese complexity.

T: There aren't any aromas on the nose that doesn't come through as flavors on the palate. The unfortunate thing is that the bitterness now has its foot on my neck and I'm considering a restraining order against the alcohol for flashing its heat on me. But I'm no snitch...

M: Full and luscious body has a nice creamy texture. Once again, the alcohol and bitterness are out of scale.

D: Medium palatability and low drinkability. This brew shines in the appearance and smell categories but the beer drinking experience doesn't stop there does it? Sadly a few average ratings at the bottom will bring its score way down.

3.46/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Drank from a 1 pt. 9.4 fl. ozs. bottle
Purchased at Winchester Wine & Spirits, Winchester, MA
Served in a snifter

The beer poured a super dark and cloudy, crimson-amber color with a frothy, bubbly, light tan, one-and-a-half finger tall head. Thick sheets of lacing and spotty drops cascaded down the glass. Over time, the head faded to a bubbly cap of froth.

The aroma was somewhat milder than I anticipated but what was there was loaded with pure grapefruit rind. Sugar coated pink grapefruit rind, to be precise. Fruity and slightly medicinal. As the beer warmed, notes of orange peel emerged.

The taste was slightly malty up front before the razor sharp hops took over. Just like in the aroma, the hops were loaded with intense grapefruit notes. The hops turned more piney and spicy in the center. The huge, aspirin-like finish was ultra bitter and dry. I felt like I was chewing on a piece of grapefruit rind. As in the aroma, some orange peel appeared as the beer opened up. Also, both the aroma and the taste became slightly sweeter. A touch of alcohol came through in the finish.

The mouthfeel was lighter bodied for the style and super bubbly. Smooth and creamy on the palate.

Drinkability was moderate. This is a flavorful DIPA that masks its 9% ABV quite well. The dry, pithy, ultra bitter finish and the overall lack balance however were quite difficult to handle.

From what I can remember, the unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA reminded me a lot of the filtered version except that the unfiltered is darker, cloudier more carbonated. Although I have had outstanding single hop variety beers, this one lacked balance and seemed a bit one-dimensional.

3.51/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into my Duvel tulip

A - Pours a dark reddish-brown color with a huge pillowy tan head. This is absolutely beautiful, and took a good 3 minutes to recede enough for me to drink it!

S - Pungent piney hops, tropical fruits (mango mainly), sweet caramel malt and a slight whiff of yeast.

T - Pretty spot-on with the nose. There is a strong bitterness toward the end and a bit of booziness.

M - Creamy and slightly sticky, with a bit higher then medium body. Carbonation is nice and lively.

D - Definitely a sipper, the ABV and bitterness sneak up on you. Judging from the look and smell, I thought this would be better then it was. Still a tasty brew, just no where near the big-boys in the class.

3.51/5  rDev -13.3%

I' ve been after this beer for a while, so I'm pissed that it doesn't live up to expectations.

Cloudy golden pour with three fingers of white head that leaves sheets of lace on the glass, and exhibits good retention. Not infected depsite the vigorous head formation. Big, big fruity nose. Lots of caramel, juicy tangerine and other assorted citrus, Maybe pineapple and mild pine too. Gah! I think the hops have dropped out... is it possible this bottle is past its nest? Still a good beer, but drinking more like a strong ale than a DIPA at this point, and not much like the Double Simcoe I had on tap. Lots of sweet juicy citrus, some pine, big caramel malt base, some booze and a moderate bitterness. Occasional off-putting bad breath notes. Medium-full body with a good carbonation.

Whether past its prime or not, it still drinks well, but not well enough to justify a repeat purchase.

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours an murky brown--copper--with an off-white head. The brew is opaque from the sediment.

Damn, this stuff stinks! Dirt, yeast, sweaty clothes, and marijuana. Herbal and citric notes linger in the background, but the hops are domineering and gritty to the core--but this was to be expected, so I can't knock it for that.

The yeast kicks in first, along with the malts. From there, the hop trains rolls through a countryside of flavors, gathering steam and intrigue all the way through the finish. A piney and herbal character comes first, followed by citric and medicinal flavors, and the aftertaste is grassy, rindy, and resinous. All the way through, the malts never completely die down, and a hint of pepper lurks on the palate. At times though, the beer seems too sweet, and the warmth of the alcohol comes through a bit more than I'd like; I remember neither of these characteristics in the filtered version.

At $6 for a cork-and-cage 750ml bottle, it's cheaper than two singles of the regular stuff. But, as much as I hate to admit it, I don't think it's nearly as good. Not only will the sweetness and the alcohol get to me after a while, it doesn't feel like the hopbomb I was craving. There's more going on than the hops, and, in this case, I think it detracts from the overall experience.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.