Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA
No picture uploaded.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Birdiebeagle on 05-19-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

1.35/5  rDev -66.7%

Oh dear God, why do I not learn from my mistakes? Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, deserving of an upper cut sack blast.

Monstrously billowy pour with more head than your run of the mill smut film. What's the deal with the carbonation here? Way out of place and not complimentary by any stretch.

Since the nose and smell are so similar, let's comment as such. Imagine huffing gasoline through a stale plantain laden hose. A little bit of Mobil grade 87 and a bit of Chiquita bananas set aflame and doused with an overly vigorous blanket of Belgian yeast. Oh, no!!!

Please don't make me drink anymore. The next sip goes straight to Davey Jones's locker.

07-15-2010 02:02:57 | More by BarrytheBear
rickfrothingham

1.68/5  rDev -58.6%

Stick with the filtered variety!

I'm an avid homebrewer and I've only had one truly bad batch - it had all the same flaws and characteristics as this brew that cost ten bucks a bomber, so much so that I was reminded of that beer the moment I smelled and tasted this one.

Slow gusher started creeping up the sides of the bottle neck befor I poured, which cast a THICK head that stuck around til I finished the pint. Massively overcarbonated, which usually means one of three things - incomplete fermentation, too much carbing sugar added, or infection. I've read they use a belgian strain for carbing, so perhaps that strain is just more attenuative than the one they use for primary fermentation, and thus consumes additional wort sugars and arbs more than they want. Either way, you expect this type of flaw from a rookie homebrew, not a commercial limited release brew.

A - murky copper. Clearly unfiltered, but it appears they also avoided any clarifying techniques. The giant head stuck around til I finished the beer.
S - harsh belgian funk mixed with hops, overcarbination and oxidation
T - like it smells; the simcoe resin/dank/pine thing is there, but the harsh yeast flavors, awkwardly cloying caramel notes, acrid overcarbination and cardboard oxidation overpower it.
M - creamy, sticky, much fuller and long lasting than I'd expect from anything in the IPA/DIPA family
D - poor. Sticky/creamy fullness combined with awkward malt/yeast/hop flavor interaction make this one a 'swallow and squint' beer.

I've gotta say, I really love simcoe as a hop and am an IPA fanatic. I enjoy the regular filtered version, which may be the reason this bre caught me so offguard.

Don't buy.

06-04-2010 00:16:28 | More by rickfrothingham
detlefchef

1.93/5  rDev -52.5%

Super, super thick head over opaque nut brown color. Thing is, the foam was sort of thick and pasty. Also, I should add that blond beers look better unfiltered than darker ones do. At least in my opinion.

Not much aroma outside the booze and, well, sorry to say, a rather faint vomit-like smell. How unfortunate. Getting past that, I just get a ton of caramel and nondescript bitterness.

I guess, at least for me, I don't like bitter for bitters sake, I see bitter as a bit of a necessary evil that comes along with all the vibrancy and interesting aromas and flavors that hops provide. This had neither of those and just bitterness. Not cool at all.

I tried this beer after not being all that impressed with the regular double simcoe but seeing how many loved both that beer, and particularly this beer in a recent thread. Surely I was missing something. Well, perhaps I still am. I shared the beer with a few other tasters and nobody finished theirs.

Also, I bought the beer from a reputable store and took it straight home to my fridge.

08-29-2010 09:38:07 | More by detlefchef
mjstacker

New Hampshire

08-10-2013 02:21:42 | More by mjstacker
TLove

District of Columbia

2.2/5  rDev -45.8%

(From Notes)

Talk about a huge disparity in appearance, smell, and taste!

The appearance was great, with a fluid, orange-amber color with a thick head.

Strong hops in the nose with a definite weissebier smell.

Citrusy, watery, and really sweet and sour. Really surprising seeing how good it looked and smelled to this point.

Finishes like sour butterscotch and alchoholic malts. Too little carbonation. Filter the damn thing!!!!

06-15-2009 17:15:51 | More by TLove
Nugganooch

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

Thanks to mdfb79 for hitting yet another one of my wants! Cheers.

*Notes from a tasting this past weekend.

I will start off by stating that I am always skeptical of a corked and caged IPA....this brew only confirms my doubts.

A: Pours a dark cloudy amber color with some orange hues in the light. I think a previous review stated tobacco color and that is pretty dead on. Super huge cakey head of khaki colored foam that just spackled the glass with lace.

S: Hardly any nose to this brew at all. I pick up mostly clean fresh water and a little bit of spicy hops.

T: Gobs of caramel candy sweetness. Cloying even. With this weird clove and ginger spice flavor going on. Like they dropped your Grandma's 10yr old candy dish in the boil and then dry hopped with her clove-spice filled potpourri bag. Not right at all! I dont get any sense of hops here let alone Simcoes. And then, even better, the alcohol really comes through and lites it all on fire.

M: Mouthfeel is sticky across the palate with an overall creamy texture and a bit of alcohol warming.

D: Borderline drainpour for me. My bro even stopped drinking his glass after a just few sips. By my 15th gulp my exact words were "God, that was awful" with a grimace.

Maybe it's me and I just don't get it with all the great reviews here...but this beer tastes closer to some kind of Holiday Spice Ale than any IPA I have ever had. Really not doing the Simcoes any justice here. Too damn sweet and just an off-putting clove flavor. This one is rating pretty low in my book.

05-17-2011 23:04:24 | More by Nugganooch
Brew33

2.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Corked and Caged 750. Right off the bat, I didn't like this beer. It poured a full 4 inches of homebrew-esque head. Murky body due to being unfiltered. A 4 inch head? On a DIPA? The aroma is Belgian yeast? WTF? Is this an American IIPA? After doing some research I found that this beer is actually bottled conditioned with a Belgian style strain of yeast. There are definitely some sticky, dank, Simcoe hops but they're masked by a downright offensive combination of yeasts and a weird malt bill. What the hell happened here? This thing is an absolute trainwreck. The ONLY redeeming quality this beer has is excellent mouthfeel. Super sticky.

I honestly cannot believe that this beer made it into bottles and the brewer and tasters said "Yes!". This beer is absolutely brutal. My worst batch of homebrew ever was better than this god awful excuse for beer. Sorry Weyerbacher. Swing and a miss....

06-03-2010 00:22:31 | More by Brew33
scottfrie

2.55/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

750ml bottle split three ways. Poured into NB snifter. Best before 01/27/11. Huge thanks to StormKing47 for the extra!

A: Pours a very dark, hazy, raisin colored amber with extremely active billowing light tan head that foamed up in the glass before taking its time to fade into a thin bubbly film that left spots of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Smells of pine, grass, and everything nature. There is a whiff of alcohol on the nose as well. There is a layer of citrus as well.
T: Blast of alcohol almost overpowers the flavor, but the dominant flavor is definitely of simcoe hops (duh). Hop flavors are leafy, earthy, and herbal, with notes of honey and tea in the finish. Aftertaste minty but astringent and warm.
M: I'm not loving how this sits in my mouth. It's boozy, which isn't usually a problem, but combined with the crazy carbonation and bitterness this is becoming a chore to drink.
D: We left the last couple inches in the bottle when we drank this, and when we poured it into an empty glass it looked like chocolate milk. They weren't kidding when they said unfiltered! Probably much better fresh.

02-17-2011 03:15:31 | More by scottfrie
Chaney

District of Columbia

2.8/5  rDev -31%

I had this one once before, but have since forgotten all about it.

A: Poured a mohogany color, with a huge soapy head (like most unfiltered beers), and fairly moderate carbonation. Even though it looks more like an amber to me, I've seen weirder.

S: Smells of grass, hay, a bit of sweetness (in an organic, sugar cane kind of way, as opposed to a candy one), and a tinge of booze.

T: Very boozy, then the unpleasant lawn-clipping quality hits the palate. Not pleasant. This brew would benefit greatly from just a tinge more sweetness, even a bit more syrupiness.

M: The booze killed me! No, not the bloodstream, but the taste buds. The bitter grassiness just lingered, almost as if it was begging me to stop drinking. The carbonation was sufficient.

D: I asked myself during the session, "Do I just not like Simcoe?" The answer: I think I still do despite my misgivings about this well regarded brew. Heck, the Mikeller Simcoe was excellent! I just don't think the Weyerbacher taste profile worked in this setting.

11-19-2010 04:16:06 | More by Chaney
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%

Undated 1 pt 9.4 fl oz bottle purchased from Princeton Liquors in Maple Grove, MN. Poured at 4C (and warmer over the session) into a fluted beer glass.

A: Hay copper body with a ton of tan head and decent lacing.
S: A dank aroma with notes of booze, caramel and a hint of pine.
T: It falls off the rails for a DIPA here. Where are the hops? Molasses, some sweetness and a thick, barley wine like body dominate the palate. Boozy. Barely any discernible hop flavour. Gravely disappointing. What do Simcoe hops taste like? I have no clue after having this malt forward beer.
M: Thick, sweet and a hint of bitterness. Not enough bitterness compared to the maltiness.
O: Was this an old bottle? No way to tell, but I sure as hell hope this was. No where near a DIPA. Not what I was wanting nor thinking I was getting.

04-13-2012 00:11:39 | More by kjyost
jpmclaug

South Carolina

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured from the bomber into my Duvel Tulip.

A - Brown-orange color with a big off white head. This head doesn't want to go away!

S - Subdued mango citrus smell with hints of pine and a bit of alcohol. This beer doesn't have the smell of a stellar DIPA. I had to really take a big whiff to get anything from this.

T - Very different taste from your normal DIPA. Pretty well balanced with lots of caramel malt flavors. A nice amount of hop bitterness is in there brings some citrus flavors to play. This beer has a unique flavor but I'm not all that sure I care for it too much.

M - Medium body with a fair amount of carbonation.

D - I don't really care for this one that much. The flavor isn't really wowing me. This beer isn't awful but it just isn't that great. There is nothing that doesn't make this beer drinkable other than me not caring much for the flavor. I don't see myself picking this one up again.

05-12-2010 21:20:29 | More by jpmclaug
virinow

08-19-2012 13:58:01 | More by virinow
hopsbreath

Oregon

This was my first corked & caged beer as well as first all simcoe hopped beer. The head on this thing was the best thing going IMO. Poured into a 20 ounce snifter, I could only get about 4 ounces in there before the head took over. This was huge tan fluffy head that was real eye candy. The smell was what you expect of a DIPA, tropical fruit, pine and citrus. I did not get the cat pee smell and I have 3 cats. The taste itself was bitter hops, a little pineapple, and some caramel as well. I spilled a few drops on my counter top during the first pour and those drops got very sticky because I did not clean them up right away. I believe this has a good amount of malt in it. The 9% alcohol was hidden about half way through the 750 but became more apparent towards the end as it warmed. One particular sip past the half way mark mad me say "whoa, there's the alcohol". I think my review would have been more favorable if not for the amount to drink. I would have preferred about half as much.

03-02-2010 20:09:21 | More by hopsbreath

02-02-2012 03:12:38 | More by jfcaa193
SawDog505

New Hampshire

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured 750 ML into a 13 oz tulip glass, bottled 11/04/11& best by 7/04/12. Pours a dark murky orange red with a two inch off white head, with orange highlights, and thick lacing everywhere. Smell is lots of clove, banana, hints of pine, and maybe a little citrus. Taste is similar, with some grapefruit in the finish. Body is large, enough life, not overly dry, and easy drinking if you like Belgian IPAs this is perfect for you. I understand it isn't really fresh, but this way more Belgian than DIPA.

05-17-2012 22:17:19 | More by SawDog505
MbpBugeye

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

I was amped to pick up this bottle. I passed it up last summer, and later had the regular Double Simcoe. Knowing that this is one of Weyerbacher's highest rated beers I was surprised to see lots of negative feedback on this year's bottling. As I opened the bottle I hoped some now my bottle wouldnt behave in the same way the other previous reviews are saying.

Popped the cork with a loud pop. Its a slightly mangled up cork but the seal seemed ok anyway.

A- That massive, excessive head people were talking about reared it head to me. Its overly big, sand colored and difficult to drink through. It fades slowly but you have to pour even slower. The beer is a clouded rusty, murky brown/red. Its quite dark. The dirty colored head and muddy beer makes it look like it actually has dirt in it.

S- Very interesting smell. Lots of unusual hop smells with belgian funky, musty yeast. It all smells like those old, gross "cowtail" candies. Its not totally disgusting but its not bright, hoppy and fresh like I wanted.

T- Taste is much better than every other aspect so far. Lots of hops overtop some Belgian yeast flavors of dark fruits and toasty malts. Its good but still odd.

M- The carbonation has totally run away. It explodes in the mouth. The bubbles seem to puff out. It feels like the beer is expanding in your mouth. It totally gets in the way of any sort of body.

D- Wow, I dont know about this one. I heard it was really good. Maybe this years batch got away from them.

06-21-2010 23:04:39 | More by MbpBugeye
BDLbrewster

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours a VERY murky muddy brown color with a vibrant head that is very slow to recede. I have to say, I have never seen a DIPA that looks like this.

The smell is rich with powerful smelling earthy simcoe hops. Sound weird but, I get an earthy dirty smelling grapefruit odor. I don't catch a whole lot of malty sweetness in the nose, but I am sure it's in there somewhere.

There it is. The taste kicks off with an overly rich toasty, toffee flavor that is proof of malt used in this brew. These flavors are quickly canceled out by a rush of very bitter pine and dirty citrus rind. There is moderate warmth in the finish, you definitely taste the 9% here. I had one of these a couple days ago, but today the flavors seem a little off from what I remember.

The mouthfeel is on the heavy side for a DIPA, rich and chewy. It almost feels like it was pumped off of a cask. Low carbonation and warm on the finish.

Drinkability is on the low end here, boozy, overly bitter and heavy. The 750 will go down, but another would not be in line.

08-30-2009 20:51:24 | More by BDLbrewster
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Popped the cork and poured it into a tulip glass. A dirty red color with two fingers of tight off-white head that held.
Blunted citrus smell. It really just smells like a bag of hop cones, probably Simcoe hops.
Strong bitterness, lots of hops and fairly malty. I feel like I am chewing on the Simcoe cones.
Medium bodied, moderate to higher carbonation. Fits the IPA bill.
While it is enjoyable, I am not getting anything special out of it. It is a good IPA, but it does not standout from most others.

10-27-2011 01:31:16 | More by Fatehunter
MaltistLupulist

Maryland

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

Mediocre ratings nearly across the board--yikes, when I joined BA a couple of weeks ago I told myself I'd review only beers I found toothsome, but nothing ever happens the way one anticipates, so, in the interest of balance, here goes....

Poured into an oversized snifter. Appearance is a murky, hazy, yellowish copper with an enormous head which takes awhile to dissipate. Liquid/foam ratio was like 20/80 at the outset, which bodes ill for the impatient, thirsty beer aficionado. This first impression was an ominous indication of the trajectory this imbiming session, and hence this review, would take.

Ascertaining the composition, or even the presence, of the aroma took some effort. There was certainly no blast of hop mist as I snapped the cap or poured the contents of the bomber into the drinking vessel. Upon closer, almost exhaustive inspection, I sensed a whisper of muted earthy hoppiness.

Alcohol plays an unwelcome and distracting role in every facet of the flavor of this beer, particularly in the finish, where it dominates and leaves one's palate with a final, dismissive impression of the beer as a whole. Otherwise, there is a tart, soapy lupulin component that contributes to an asymmetry that makes this beer seem harsh and undesirable. Very astringent. Some hopeful flavor components like grapefruit rind make their way through the maelstrom, but their efforts at attaining harmony and balance ultimately turn out to be Chamberlainian.

Mouthfeel is unpleasantly sticky; medium carbonation.

In spite of the obviously high alcohol content I had no trouble polishing off a bomber of this stuff. A matter of acclimation, really. This stuff isn't harsh just because of the alcohol.

An awkwardly assembled frankenstein of a IIPA.

08-07-2009 01:20:13 | More by MaltistLupulist
mulder1010

Australia

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Welcome to Australia!!!
NO corked and caged??? Sigh, just a 12 oz bottle

A-- Poured a light cola color and settled a dark amber ruby color. Nice look to this. One finger light tan head. Helhd up extremely well. A good few minutes at half a finger and the rest of the time a thick film/ collar. One good ring of lacing on the glass.

S-- Pungent, yet crisp and lively. Pungent grapefruit, orange and pine. Like walking through a Pine forest after rain. Good malt backbone to this.

T-- Lots of carmel covered orange and grapefruit. Slightly slick and sweet. Good amount of bitterness to this. Has some barleywine tones to this.

M-- Burnt toffee with orange medicinal qualities. Low carbonation, oily, and orange cough syrup medicinal. Hard orange/grapefruit medicinal finish with burnt toffee.

O-- Good looking, good nose, and good taste to start. Then it got real medicinal. Decent enough for one, maybe two. Stick with the West Coast DIPA's

02-28-2012 14:07:33 | More by mulder1010
hwwty4

Missouri

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

Picked this up and dragged it back to KC on my latest trip to Boston.

This beer pours a dark, hazy root beer brown with a massive 4 inch beige head that leaves some serious lacing as the beer recedes in my glass. Weyerbacher really did make a pretty beer. The aroma is massive piny hops with grapefruit, orange, and just a hint of grass. Also to be noted their is a rather prevalent solvent-like alcohol aroma to it. With the pine, it kind of reminds me of Pine Sol. The flavor is much the same with pine, grapefruit and lemon smacking you in the face but the huge booze flavor really puts a damper on the majority of the flavor profile. There is way to much alcohol for it to be covered up by the rest of the flavor profile. The solvent like booze kind of numbs my tongue. Its a rather odd sensation. I assume its what like a low strength Novocaine applied to the tongue would feel like. Otherwise the body is rather full for an DIPA. Nice malty body with the majority of the sweetness cut out. This would have been a great beer if it wasn't for the booze. It really needed to be hidden quite a bit more.

07-26-2009 01:42:29 | More by hwwty4
RBorsato

3.25/5  rDev -20%

03-04-2014 17:28:31 | More by RBorsato
Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.