Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA
No picture.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Birdiebeagle on 05-19-2009

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Transparent amber hue with a pillowy 2 finger white head

S - The prototypical simcoe profile is right there. An interesting combination of citrusy grapefruit and resinous pine. One thing the nose of this brew does is showcase the complexity of the simcoe varietal very well!

T - Although the citrus profile of the hops takes the cake in the nose, they are only opening players in the taste. The resinous piney flavors dominate the finish backed by a bit of a bready malt backbone.

M - Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. As others have noted, there is definitely an alcoholic note in there as well.

O - This is a solid DIPA that pays homage to the complexity a single strain of hops can offer. It didn't blow me away but I can't complain either. I would probably reach for something noticeably more citrusy than this or something noticeably more piney. The middle ground doesn't tend to be an area I prefer. (920 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I mail order this one from Germany. Just to try it because it looked appealing.

A - A orange haze in my glass with some yeast snow. The head on top looks a bit orange, yellow and white!? Yes I know it sounds strange.

S - A beautiful pine forest enters my nose. In the forest there must be some citrus- and mango trees too, with grass between the roots.

T - A sweet citrus&pine syrup are having sex with my tongue. This a beautiful subtle blend and the after taste is just a perfect bitterness.

M - A medium carbonated body with a creaminess that could have been better though.

O - A lovely DIPA, nearly as good as the heady topper. I really love this.. I do think I got this one really fresh though. I will buy it again to see if I was dreaming. (751 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%

Unfiltered Double Simcoe, 750-ml corked-and-caged bottle bought at Tully's in Wells, Maine, for $7.50. Have had this beer (a variant of my all-time favorite Double Simcoe) many times before but never got to review it.

Appearance: Carbonation is off the charts here. My first pour produced a wacky fist-sized head that took over half of the snifter I was using. Then it calms down and gets better, with a more normal one-finger head that lasts and then some and leaves some of the thickest lacing this side of Antwerp. A deep-rusty copper for this thing, not too different from the regular Simcoe.

Smell: Muddy, malty Simcoe hops. Raw, unfiltered honey. A bit of sheep droppings at the end. Earthy, barnyard. Funky and weird, but enticing.

Taste: Damn spicy! A bit of booze too along the way too. This is NOT your typical "pineapple-and-grapefruit" IPA. Lotta pine raisin, white pepper, exotic spices and yeast. Malt of course!

Mouthfeel: Medium body, almost full flavor and carbonation. Spicy, peppery finish. Odd and different.

Overall: While not nearly as exciting as the original Simcoe, this concoction is satisfying and intriguing. Quite drinkable too! I will always take the regular Simcoe first, but revisiting Unfiltered from time to time is always a pleasure. (1,274 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

a: golden brown amber. cloudiness. finger and half's worth of khaki head.

s: grapefruit along with some creamy sweetness. a bit of alcohol is present in the background.

t: bitter but not like a west coast DIPA. balanced and smoothed out sweet citrus flavors. a bit bready.

m: medium bodied and well carbonated. finishes very dry.

o: I enjoy this much more than the regular version of the Double Simcoe. (407 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22%

Popped the cork and poured it into a tulip glass. A dirty red color with two fingers of tight off-white head that held.
Blunted citrus smell. It really just smells like a bag of hop cones, probably Simcoe hops.
Strong bitterness, lots of hops and fairly malty. I feel like I am chewing on the Simcoe cones.
Medium bodied, moderate to higher carbonation. Fits the IPA bill.
While it is enjoyable, I am not getting anything special out of it. It is a good IPA, but it does not standout from most others. (503 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a chalice from corked bottle, dated 8/20/11.

A: Very dark amber/brown color, super cloudy, with a big fluffy tan head. Sticky lacing, good head retention.

S: Smells very, very hoppy; fruity, pine, and also a big blast of sweetness. Some bready aromas as well, almost like a sweet rye.

T: Intense bitter and fruity hop flavor. Woody, earthy, oaked flavors coming through, as well as some more malt as the hop assault subsides. The finish is a lingering sweetness with some hop bitterness thrown in.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, slightly creamy feel. Bittersweet finish with a definite alcohol warmth.

O: I had this beer a long time ago, from a regular six pack (not the unfiltered version), and I thought it sucked. But this one is extremely delicious. The last one I had probably wasn't as fresh, but after this bottle, I'll be buying again for sure. (876 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

A: A very cloudy dark amber pour. Huge foamy beige head that lasts forever. Great lacing.

S: Huge blast of typical tropical fruit simcoe smell. Bit of pine and maybe a little caramel.

T: As in the nose, tons of tropical fruit. Surprising amount of pine too. Bready and caramel malt apparent as well.

M: Sticky, almost syrupy and resinous to the extreme. Kinda unpleasant but not terrible.

O: Not a bad double IPA, mouthfeel is really detracting though I think. (465 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Serving Type - 22 oz caged and corked bottle

Appearance - Golden tan/brown, monster 4+ inch head, tons of lacing.

Smell - Sweet fruity hops, orange, pineapple, grapefruit,some sugars, slight carmal malt aroma.

Taste - Grassy fruity hops with a alcohol and malt backbone. Has a somewhat oaked/smoked spice flavor. Hops are dominate at first until mouth adjusts, then the carmal malts come out. The finsh is malty but the hops add some sweetness and fruitness to add some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Tounge gets nailed by the hops, then coated with malts. Palette is bittered, then sweetned by malts. Decent job working over mouth. Aftertaste is sweet, semi bitter and dry.

Overall - Really tasty, hoppy, and more malty then i expected. Regular double simcoe didnt blow me away if memory serves me but, i really enjoy this. Alcohol is a little high, and only comes out at the finish, so be careful with this 22 oz bottle. (921 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1%

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a towering tan head. Impressive lacing as you drink it down.

S: Strong earthy, pine and mint hop presence. Roasty caramel and crystal malt aroma with a fresh bread and honey aroma. It blends well together and makes for a very appealing beer.

T: Large hop presence with an abundance of pine, mint, spicy and earthy fresh hop flavors. Hops are very resinous and leaves a bitter coat in the mouth. Some light caramel and good fresh bread flavors come through and a sweet roasted barley backbone is apparent. Balance is toward the bitter hops though.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation and a warming alcohol presence.

D: Enjoying this on my daughters 11th birthday. It has a generous hop kick to it and yet it remains in balance with a rich, sweet malt undertone. It was easy to drink and I enjoyed every bit of this big beer. Weyerbacher proves themselves yet again for quality beers! (924 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

A&S - Pours a hazy light brown with 4 fingers of off white head. Be careful while pouring! Pine hops cover a 3 foot radius upon popping the cork. Smells nice and sweet, tons of pine/citrus combo that those Simcoe's produce, some grapefruit, a maple syrupish malt aroma, again smells super sweet.

T&M - Hits flat, sticky and sweet, tastes very creamy with tons of sweet malt creating an almost vanilla flavor. As the carbonation grows, so does the hop bitterness, as well as some unfiltered characteristics. Tastes quite odd at first with a dominant hop flavor, however its very attractive, not too much alcohol burn, kinda woodsy flavor that works well with smooth sipping qualities this beer contains.

O - It seems to me I will be craving this beer once in a while, I will indeed make a note of this, its definitely one to try. Love the unfiltered characteristics. Stay thirsty my friends! (892 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

6oz pour->Unibroue Tulip

A ~ Pours murky rusted brown that I cannot see through. Definitely unfiltered. No visible sediment.

S ~ A heady mix of Pine Resin, Overripe tropical fruits, & a good deal of flora with that classic Simcoe undercurrent of minerals that one can only describe as urine/bile/battery acid.. And this has a lot of it. Great nose.

T ~ Caramel-covered hop cones dipped in orange juice. There's a Rich barley backbone, but the hop is really shining here. . . notes of dried fruit, pine sap, & orange preserves within. There are a ton of hop resins/yeast particulates that really shock the tounge with flavor. Surprising amount of depth in the Simcoe by his lonesome.

M ~ Thick & syrupy with a good amount of twang. Resinous character that lasts & lasts. Yeast is ester-y in a strawberry/green apple sort of way on the palette.

D ~ Simcoe is my favorite hop, & this one really made it shine. I would love to try the filtered version, but I really do not think that it could beat this beer in the flavor department. Definitely enjoyable & well worth seeking out. Great beer. (1,096 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

750 ml bottle into tulip. Pours very hazy dark red-orange color with a enormous 4 finger off white head with incredible retention that reduces to a decent sized lacing cap that lasts. Fairly thick lacing sticks to the glass. Aromas of huge amounts pine, pineapple, mango, orange, and grapefruit; with some caramel and bread as well. Taste of big pine, pineapple, grapefruit, caramel, and bread. Strong bitterness shows up on the finish and lingers for a while with caramel, bread, citrus, and spiciness. No alcohol in the taste but a slight warming on the finish is present. Medium carbonation and fairly full bodied. Fairly smooth drinking as well, but is definitely a sipper with it’s huge flavor and body. Overall, and excellent imperial IPA, and it is extremely hoppy, just how I like them. (796 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Aromas begins with waves of earthy and piney hops. Definitely Simcoe hops through and through. I can detect some caramel maltiness as well which I expect I will enjoy in the taste.
The taste begins with the grainy and caramel malts as I expected which I enjoy, but the Simcoe quickly steals the show and takes control of the flavors and your palate. The maltiness does stay prevalent though which stops this from being a hop bomb and too sticky/resiny. The beer is really well balanced with loads of pine and caramel malt.
The mouthfeel is full with adequate carbonation and a freshness that made it borderline sticky. I enjoy this version slightly more than the regular version but that is my preference normally; bottle conditioned beer are just fresher and more flavorful in my opinion. It is nice to see a well balanced DIPA as opposed to the shredding west coast DIPAs that totally destroy your tastebuds. A new go to for me. Weyerbacher remains the top East Coast brewery for my money. (992 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -42.1%

Thanks to mdfb79 for hitting yet another one of my wants! Cheers.

*Notes from a tasting this past weekend.

I will start off by stating that I am always skeptical of a corked and caged IPA....this brew only confirms my doubts.

A: Pours a dark cloudy amber color with some orange hues in the light. I think a previous review stated tobacco color and that is pretty dead on. Super huge cakey head of khaki colored foam that just spackled the glass with lace.

S: Hardly any nose to this brew at all. I pick up mostly clean fresh water and a little bit of spicy hops.

T: Gobs of caramel candy sweetness. Cloying even. With this weird clove and ginger spice flavor going on. Like they dropped your Grandma's 10yr old candy dish in the boil and then dry hopped with her clove-spice filled potpourri bag. Not right at all! I dont get any sense of hops here let alone Simcoes. And then, even better, the alcohol really comes through and lites it all on fire.

M: Mouthfeel is sticky across the palate with an overall creamy texture and a bit of alcohol warming.

D: Borderline drainpour for me. My bro even stopped drinking his glass after a just few sips. By my 15th gulp my exact words were "God, that was awful" with a grimace.

Maybe it's me and I just don't get it with all the great reviews here...but this beer tastes closer to some kind of Holiday Spice Ale than any IPA I have ever had. Really not doing the Simcoes any justice here. Too damn sweet and just an off-putting clove flavor. This one is rating pretty low in my book. (1,535 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 750ml C&C bottle into a standard pint.

Appearance (5.0): CRAZY amount of head, nice light khaki color foam. Underneath is a flat-out tobacco colored body, which is very, very hazy. That rocky head isn’t going anywhere.

Smell (4.5): Dank is the name of the game, simcoe hops digging deep inside my nose. Good amount of caramel underneath.

Taste (4.5): Simcoe, walking the line between grassy bitterness and tropical fruits walking all over my tongue. Bready caramel malts come right behind, and are quite strong at that but the hops keep it in check by never really leaving. Start, middle and end are all characterized by the simcoe hops, like dank icing on a cake of malt. Malts come forward as it warms. Even so, it’s really balanced—definitely feels like an adequate ratio of hops to malt, and vice versa.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Oily, medium body that coats your mouth. Not too thick or chewy, but just right.

Overall (4.5): This is a damn good DIPA and I am really, really enjoying it quite a bit. Kind of wish it wasn’t 9% abv, so that I could have more than one glass. Pick this up if you see it fresh, and drink it on the colder side because anyone that appreciates simcoe will adore it. (1,217 characters)

A: Very murky, orange-tinted brown in color. Forms a huge half-a-glass of light tan, very stable head that pours over the side of the glass. Eventually reduces down to a mere surface coating, leaving a good amount of lacing on the way down.

S: Strong spicy hop aroma rounded out with citrus, pine, and a light yeastiness.

T: Some light sweet caramel malt. Spicy pepper hops leave a long, lingering flavor in the mouth. A bit boozey, almost barleywine-like with a bit of a homebrew quality to it.

M: Medium in body with heavier carbonation.

O: Double Simcoe is one of my favorite DIPAs and I was very excited to get my hands on a bottle of the unfiltered version. Unfortunately, I was a bit let down. This is still a good beer, but (unsurprisingly) it just seems to be lacking the refinement that would make it a great beer. (831 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Very creamy off white tan head. Golden edges with dark orange and red body. Really a interesting looking beer with the head not going anywhere.

I get more citrus, pine and bready malt in this one than the regular one that isn't bottled conditioned. I even get a little spice in the aroma.

Citrus, pine, toasted caramel malt, spice and a slight metalic bitterness at the very end. A lot of flavors coming together and making it work well.

Medium body, carbonation is medium, mouth feel a little dry and leaving the mouth a little sticky. Slight alcohol warmth as well.

I do like this one better, I taste a spice that I didn't taste in the other one. This one is bigger and overall a nicer looking beer. Towards the end I start to taste the sediment; certainly not a bad thing, quite tasty. (792 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into pint glass. Met an old British guy in the store with a cart full of DIPAs and this was his suggestion. Almost 12 bucks for a four pack. Excellent color nice cloudy look almost like the glass was frosted. Poured with a nice eggshell 1 inch head with a generous tilt. Smell is a very sweet hop smell, never singled out the Simcoe before and was very happy I took the old man's advice. Taste was so balanced, hoppy as hell but also so very sweet with a honey and baked apple taste hiding inside the malt that follows the hop blast. Lacing was consistent. I rated the mouth feel low although the carbonation was perfect the brew is very sticky was an initial mild nuisance but I think this coating will grow on me, it kept me looking for another gulp. Will definately go for another (790 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to Kadonny for sending one of these as an extra in a trade and turning me on to this beer. I only had the filtered in the past and was pretty meh about it, but after having the unfiltered/bottle conditioned version I can say that this is a 100% different beer.
Bottled 1/6/11

A - Pours a deep, cloudy amber that is bordering on copper. Giant meringue-like head that doesn't want to go anywhere, thus making it difficult to get much in the glass.

S - Sweet sticky simcoe, what did you expect? Juicy citric and tropical fruit scents along with a generous dose of cat urine, quite delightful!

T - Double yumminess for sure! Oranges, grapefruit, mangos, and pineapple galore. The sweetness of the tropical hops is also accompanied by a little bit of earth and pine and some caramelly malt that serves as a nice backbone to the huge dose of simcoe.

M - Fairly well carbonated and medium in body. This beer likes to leave a bitter mark in your mouth that reminds you that it was just there.

D - Pretty darn good. A little too sweet to make it super-drinkable, but I am a believer in this beer and the fact that it is a world class player. (1,144 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +3%

Extremely amber/ brown color. Looks like apple cider. Cloudy. Big Pillowy cream/orange/off white color stubborn head.

Good balance of malt and hops (taken to the extreme) in the aroma. Leather/earthy aroma

Very slight star anise/black licorice flavor. Bitterness is there, yet very tolerable.

Really nice smooth mouthfeel cut well with the hops to balance it with the malt. (378 characters)

257th review on BA
C/C 750 ML
bottle to tulip

Thanks ATPete for this one.

App- I hate to use this phrase but again its very similar to the color of the bottle. A giant 3 finger head would just not go away. The lacing was quite nice as well.

Smell- To my senses it was quite aromatic, Im assuming due to the unfiltered aspect. I could be wrong. Very hoppy of course but has a balanced earthy, small citrus aroma as well.

Taste- Big, spicy, hoppy and just a BIG flavorful beer. The profile is just different but tastes quite good. It's palatable but assertive with flavors.

Mouth- A nice bigger medium bodied beer with a medium carbonation level. This beer retained a certain moistness on the tounge. Left me with a nice soft spice note on the finish.

Drink- A very nice DIPA. Goes against what I normally like with a more earthy spicy DIPA. This was very good. I am curious if the regular Double Simcoe has a different profile than this one being filtered. This was a big, tasty beer but don't think I could do two in a sitting. (1,033 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

750ml bottle split three ways. Poured into NB snifter. Best before 01/27/11. Huge thanks to StormKing47 for the extra!

A: Pours a very dark, hazy, raisin colored amber with extremely active billowing light tan head that foamed up in the glass before taking its time to fade into a thin bubbly film that left spots of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Smells of pine, grass, and everything nature. There is a whiff of alcohol on the nose as well. There is a layer of citrus as well.
T: Blast of alcohol almost overpowers the flavor, but the dominant flavor is definitely of simcoe hops (duh). Hop flavors are leafy, earthy, and herbal, with notes of honey and tea in the finish. Aftertaste minty but astringent and warm.
M: I'm not loving how this sits in my mouth. It's boozy, which isn't usually a problem, but combined with the crazy carbonation and bitterness this is becoming a chore to drink.
D: We left the last couple inches in the bottle when we drank this, and when we poured it into an empty glass it looked like chocolate milk. They weren't kidding when they said unfiltered! Probably much better fresh. (1,116 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Bottled Jan 7th 2011, best before September 7th 2011 here we go!

A good solid pop from the cork. Monster head and borderline gushing quality off the pop. Into the glass the head is frozen, it will not even move. Color of head is a big off white stick and lots retention it's like pudding. Body is a bit cloudy with about 50/60% opaqueness but a nice dark copper into dark orange. Ridiculous stickyness for lacing on this beer.

Bouquet is a mellow citrus orange, and some dryness. Faint grain and toasty feel, very mellow in character but definitely feels arid.

Taste is a mild body with a dry pepper. Toastyness and a sharp piquant pepper like feeling that I associate with this hop (simcoe) bitter. Mid palate has some nice sweetness getting into some very light brown sugar quality barely a sugar sensation which makes for a nice not overly sweet sensation. Stinging tongue though beyond prickly right on the tip but I really like this body for mouthfeel. Abv is somewhat noticeable.

Good drinkability, and a fairly good price point as well too. Would have again. (1,111 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -13.1%

I' ve been after this beer for a while, so I'm pissed that it doesn't live up to expectations.

Cloudy golden pour with three fingers of white head that leaves sheets of lace on the glass, and exhibits good retention. Not infected depsite the vigorous head formation. Big, big fruity nose. Lots of caramel, juicy tangerine and other assorted citrus, Maybe pineapple and mild pine too. Gah! I think the hops have dropped out... is it possible this bottle is past its nest? Still a good beer, but drinking more like a strong ale than a DIPA at this point, and not much like the Double Simcoe I had on tap. Lots of sweet juicy citrus, some pine, big caramel malt base, some booze and a moderate bitterness. Occasional off-putting bad breath notes. Medium-full body with a good carbonation.

Whether past its prime or not, it still drinks well, but not well enough to justify a repeat purchase. (890 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottle conditioned 750ml bought at the brewery.

A: Cloudy orange color with white head

S: Floral, citrusy goodness, man does this smell great. Much better than the 12oz format.

T: Very full bodied, full on hop assualt, this really punches you straight in te mouth.

M: Very dry and thick, good carbonation

D: Not my favorite 2IPA but very good, i like this bottle cond. version alot more than the 12oz. It drinks incredibly smooth and is good bang for your buck, around here anyway. (487 characters)

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.