Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA
No picture uploaded.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Birdiebeagle on 05-19-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next › last »
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

I never realised that doing a simple thing like not filtering a beer would alter its taste so much. I love regular Simcoe IPA, so lets see how this one differs.

A: This literally looks like apple cider. Very burnt amber color. Cannot see though the beer at all. Nice tan head that leaves chunky lacing with each sip. Never seen a beer that looked like this. Awesome.

S: Lots of fruit on the nose. Somewhat piney. I get oranges, light sweetness and maybe a touch of alcohol.

T: Wow, a lot different from regular Simcoe. I get a massive fruit explosion. Lots of tropical fruits like mango, oranges, pineapple. A touch pine. There is also quite a bit of yeast flavor in here as well. It complements the other flavors quite well. Probably the most unique IPA I have tasted in a while.

M: Medium bodied and somewhat syrupy. Heavier than the regular Simcoe. First few sips are pretty bitter, but it subsides pretty quickly. Not as dry as most IPAs.

D: At 9.5%ABV, it is a heafty beer. It does go down pretty smooth, but splitting the whole 25oz. beer is recommended. A little more filling than most IPAs, but still very good.

I think I prefer the more piney, citrusy, and bitter characteristics of the regular Simcoe. This beer is great, however. More on the fruity side and quite filling, this beer is probably the most unique beer I have tasted all year. Highly recommended and worth the price.

OldSchoolGamer, Jun 08, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

750ml bottle poured into a goblet. Reviewed on May 19.

A: Cloudy dark reddish orange. Gigantic head that leaves tons of lacing.

S: Lots of pine, some pineapple.

T: Way too grassy. Kind of soapy, actually.

M: Reasonably smooth and medium-bodied.

D: Not really feeling it. The regular Double Simcoe is much better.

BarrelO, Jun 08, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Had two of the three bottles I scored this weekend. Both on a clean pallete and very consistent experience between the two. This is one awesome beer, and it is a bit better than any double Simcoe I've ever had (the new corked caged unfiltered bottles assure freshness, though - so that could be a factor).

Pours a bit murky, as expected from an unfiltered. Brownish with a nice mixture of orange.

Smell is awesome - I'm immediately getting more of a peach smell than anything tropical, but the hoppiness tickles the nose in a very nice way.

Tastes like it smells. Earthy, peachey, and pallete kicking simcoe goodness. Would be a 5 if it wasn't a bit hot. But the hops do their job and numb things against the heat well. Nice malt backbone as well, so this is as balanced as a sledgehammer of hops can be.

Mouthfeel is good. Nice carbonation and visco.

Drinkability is this beer's only weak point, as the hotness comes out as it warms and, although I had no trouble finishing my share of a split amongst friends either time, I don't know if I could do a whole bottle myself without turning on this. Good as a shared bottle - hopheads will finish this themselves - but no way you're opening a second bottle that night.

Overall, glad to have tried this. It's worthy, maybe not top notch, world-class, but an awesome beer and something to be savored.

jampics2, Jun 08, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

A- Pours a hazy dark amber with a tall tan head.

S- Orange, pineapple, sweet malts, herbal hops.

T- Citrus and herbal hops with a nice malt balance.

M- Pretty much perfect for a DIPA light carbonation and moderate viscosity.

D- It's a great beer with a ton of character and balance. So tasty to drink. The lack of filtering apparently makes this beer great.

UA8, Jun 08, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

A corked and caged 750 mL bottle purchased at TJ's Everyday. I am enamored of regular Simcoe, so I hope this is a treat.

A: The ale is a doppeganger for the amber bottle it was packaged in. A thick head, over 1.5 fingers, stuck like glue to the sides of the glass.

S: The nose is piney, concentrated with strong hops. The aroma is best described as very dirty and earthy. I don't know if it is the remaining yeast sediment or what, but this not is completely different from the behemoth original version.

T: The simcoe is concentrated but not completely overpowering, a real conundrum when you figure that the normal filtered version is an overwhelming hop bomb. The flavors are thicker, more intense, with a resiny pine flavor that reveals simcoe the more it warms. The simcoe is full and delicious, a herbally bitter hop. Caramel malts are also fuller, especially on the back end of each sip. The simcoe remains strong from just past the start of the sip to the finish. An interesting take that seems to focus the hoppy strength.

M: The ale doesn't pull any punches, relying on its hop profile to carry the day. The good news is that those hops don't disappoint.

D: The ale is wickedly heavy, loaded down with booze and hops. The two, in tandem, are a devastating combo.

akorsak, Jun 08, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

I must preface this by saying I may have had a bottle that is an exception to the rule.

This pours out mostly head. What liquid I do get is a dark amber color. Even a slow gentle pour the second time around leaves me with over half a glass of foam. It just kept growing until it flowed out of the glass and onto the table. There was, however, some nice lacing left behind...surprise, surprise.

The aroma was of fresh piney hops. Yum. The malts are there, but are quite subdued when compared to the hops. The dry hopping works wonders for this beer.

The flavor is, again, fresh and bitter pine hops. Resiny, sticky, sometimes almost pungent piney hops. Some lighter grapefruit, some toffee malts, and some alcohol also come through.

Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Not as bubbly as I had feared it would be. Resiny hops, sticky yet slick feel to it. This bottle disappeared a bit to easily, but I'm not sure if it was because of me drinking it or the fact it foamed over on every pour.

Imstillthegman, Jun 05, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

750mL corked and caged bottle into a Duvel snifter pours a nice hazy dark amber with a very frothy abundant light tan head. Aroma is a decent amount of nicely balanced pine hops and caramel hops. The taste is a wonderful abundance of pine hops and burnt caramel malts with a nice touch of yeast all blending together very well and leaving a nice bitter but smooth finish, exceptional! The beer is certainly on the heavy side with a decent amount of sticky alcohol, but it is matched nicely with a smooth slight dryness and decent carbonation that makes it fairly tolerable. Overall, this is certainly a huge step up for an already very special beer. I have to beg Weyerbacher to not just leave this as a limited release, retire the filtered version and just release it like this from now on!

atsprings, Jun 05, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +19%

Pours a dark amber orangish in color. There's a huge, growing, three to four inches of head forming on the pour. Without a drink, it would have overflowed the glass. Be careful on the pour.
Smell is glorious, sticky and skunky hops. What a glorious thing. GB the simcoe hop!
Taste is more simcoe hop. Plenty of stinky, citrusy hops. This is a damn good beer. This needs to be a date stamped year round offering. This beer deserves to be drank in it's stankiest form. Plenty of bitterness and juiciness in the mouthfeel. Full body as well.
I already like their regular Double Simcoe offering, but this is just something else. I absolutely love this beer. I could drink this every day. Kudos to Weyerbacher for this amazing beer. This is among the best DIPA's I've had.

FtownThrowDown, Jun 02, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

did a blind head to head taste test versus the regular double simcoe... unfiltered won out!

A:
[regular]: rich amber body, with massive off-white fluffy head, and great lacing
[unfiltered]: earthen amber-brown body, huge off-white head and thick sheet like lacing

S:
[regular]: dank pine blast, crisp citrus bitterness, rich malt backbone
[unfiltered]: fresh pine forest, profound, accentuated by citrus bitterness, less malty than the regular DS

T:
[regular]: mirrors the nose, with a strong pine character, citrus notes poke through at the end, carried by dense caramel malts
[unfiltered]: raw pine needles, bitter, grapefruit, malt, some booze

M:
[regular]: slight tingle on the palate from the carbonation, medium body, resinous
[unfiltered]: rugged, dank, resinous, bitter bite on the end. medium bodied, well carbonated.

D:
[regular]: a good dIPA, not my favorite though as i prefer things slightly less malty
[unfiltered]: a significant improvement, i feel that the time in the bottle has improved the overall tone of the beer... upping the hops and mellowing the malts... very, very nice

callmemickey, Jun 02, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

750ml corked and caged brown bottle, purchase at Hyde Park, poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a deep reddish plum flesh color, opaque. 2+ fingers worth of dense, cream head, very good retention and loads of lacing.

S: Yummy yummy Simcoe aroma... gotta be my favorite hop. Fuck yeah, cat piss! Tons of pine and healthy citrus. Some toasty, bready sweetness.

T/M: Great balance between the lip smacking bitterness and nearly chewy sweet malts. Catty, ammonia, very piny. Toasty and sweet malts. The alcohol adds a very interesting character when combined with the added yeast, like a bit of Old Ale alcohol twang with some added fresh spiciness. Body is nearly full and a bit chewy with moderate carbonation.

D: Very tasty but needs to be taken slowly. Very good beer.

pwoods, Jun 02, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

This beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass. Where to start this beer review? Double Simcoe was really awesome the first time I had a bottle. My very first beer trade I traded a bunch of Double Simcoe Bombers.

Appearance: The beer is definately unfiltered. The beers normally bright amber / orange body is kind of murky. Some may find the murkyness of the beer unappetizing. Me I know its loaded with unfiltered yeasty goodness! The head is a finger and a half with pretty good retention. The head didnt fall as soon as it hit my mustache. Thick rings of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The aroma hits all the right notes. The pine is resinous, the citrus is kicking up grapefruit and pineapple. This would truly be hard to improve upon.

Taste: The beer delivers long lasting pine flavors, honestly taste like what I would expect my Christmas tree to taste like. Then the hops start heading into the citrus notes love grapefruit flavors in beer. Oddly enough I used to hate the flavor of grapefruit. Perhaps I should give a grapefruit another try? Discipline back to the beer. Then the hops dip down into grassy notes. Oddly enough the hops kind of cycle. The malt is definately supporting this hopped up DIPA. This is definately a ballsy hoppy monster.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is full. The carbonation works well with the beers overall character. The hops are very resinous and oily delivering a long lasting flavor on my palate. I am a bit distressed how fast I have destroyed a bottle of this beer. Almost ready to crack a second bottle. This beer is a hop heads dream - literally a form of liquid crack.

nlmartin, Jun 01, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

750 ML offering poured into a pint glass.

Tight foaming head. Traces of sediment and hops on top of the head was my first clue that this was gonna be a real winner. So-so nose. Some citrus notes but actually not quite as floral as the "non-special" version.

Extremely cloudy with sediment hops and white flecks. I love unfiltered beers and this was REALLY unfiltered. Awesome mouth feel. Almost gritty from the sediment. Very thick and each sip was laden with wonderful hop flavors. It seemed much maltier than the original. I tasted Grapefruit, sweetened ice tea and mangoes as the beer warmed up a bit. You can tell the hops are their but the beer was not too bitter.

Overall really awesome stuff. The sediment level and mouth feel are pretty intense but I loved this beer. This is a very different beer from the original and I actually prefer it.
Highly Recommended.

tendermorsel, May 31, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

I bought this special release ale from Weyerbacher this evening at Winchester Wine and Spirits.Appearance is very good looking; it is a rosy, strawberry color. Heading is pretty large, I got about two fingers worth from a rigorous pour. Smell is very citrusy and piney, with all the characteristics of great Imperial IPAs. Big blast of hops starts things off, again this beer is full of pine and citrus, mainly grapefruit. The malt is beaten in to the background, but it is noticeable. Body is medium to heavy, and a bit of a palate bruiser from all the hops. Still, drinking this is a sheer joy, and something that I would purchase often if it was around more. It would be interesting to see how this compares to the regular double simcoe. Either way, if you see it, waste no time, and buy it.

jamie2dope, May 30, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

Purchased a case of this at the recent Weyerbacher event for this and Foxtrot. This was superior to just about anything they have put out and that says a lot if you can improve on the original 2x simcoe.

I was told by the staff that it would be a good candidate to age but at this point I am very low on the batch so don't see that happening.
Bottle graphics: 7/10.

Looks even better caged, the day previous it was the hit of a graduation party when a couple bottles were busted out for sharing.

A: Big heavy bottle poured into tumbler for this tasting that was done at the start of Memorial Day weekend. Dark gold but pretty transparent. The head on this was especially fluffy, more so than with the kid brother and I love the look of the sediment that came, especially in the final pour.

S: Obliterated by the piney simcoe tree loving hop scents. I could and plan on smelling this to no end. Beatiful smell that meets every standard of a brilliant hop heavy DIPA- the sweetness is clearly there from the malt but nothing is showcased nearly as much as the aroma of the finest kind.

T: Didn't think I would originally be saying this but it is a step up from the regular version. Pure hop goo if that is what you're in to. The presence of the yeast adds a new level of character that really do create a different monster and display the simcoe hops in a way that leaves the lips smacking. There is a sweetness that is also in its original that make this a mind boggingly good beer.

M: Terrific creaminess. Sure you have to like a bitter beatdown but if thats what you crave with some yeasty texture, this is one for you. The burn is not too much but at least gives you fair warning of what this carries.

D: This was a nice change of pace on a great beer. I usually don't like tweaking with some of my favorites, but this truly is a different creature. If you plan on tasting other beers after this, not a good idea. Your flavor sensing taste buds will have nothing left.

marcpal, May 29, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

This poured an opaque copper with tons of light tan head. It was difficult to smell through all the head, but it had scents of rose and pineapple hops with some sweet caramel malt. It tasted like very fresh floral and peach and copper hops, with some honey and caramel sweetness. It was thick and creamy with subtle carbonation, and had a lasting bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a delicious beer with super fresh flavor. Very bitter, but very clean, and with some balance and complexity too. It also had a fantastic smooth body, and hid the alcohol pretty well. I'd love to try this side by side with some of the other top IIPAs.

Pencible, May 28, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +14%

I have to update this, the last two bottles I've had were terrible. Don't know if it's me or the beer, and it came from Bestway so it's not the handling. It's a shame the brew I first loved I wouldn't take for free right now. The only other brew I've ever turned so harshly on was Stone IPA, and I can't account for the change. Looking back on the note it seems like they're two different brews.

Wow this is one great brew. Pours nice, big head that lasts. Nose is all grapefruit and citrus. The 1st sip is almost magical, it is that good. Nicely hopped nicely bitter, and very well balanced. A deep flavor that finishes really well. Do I detect some oak influence here? Only the ABV hurts the score IMO, the 9+ is a beast. Probably the best DIPA out there right now, and definitely a contender to Hopslam.

nc41, May 24, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Thanks to marcpal for rushing a couple of bombers of this highly anticipated brew to MN. Marc sent me my first taste of Double Simcoe which led to a serious addiction & he knew I needed to have this. Salut, my friend!

Split the bomber with my Double Simcoe-loving wife. As expected, this is orange & opaque, with some floaties, even leaving a finger of mush & beer in the bottle. Carbonation is well evident. Just sniffing the cork almost sends me into circle-spinning, arms-waving ecstasy. Damn. If that smell isn't Angel's piss, I don't know what is.

Taste meets the promise of the smell. The hop spruce hits the tongue like liquid wood sap, & the unfiltered yeast is close behind, leaving a weird earthy residue on the tongue, tonsils, & lower intestines. Luckily, it's a welcome guest. I suspect there's malt in there somewhere. Don't need to taste it. Don't care.

Carbonation is a titch high, which mars the absolute perfection of the beer (geez I'm hard to please) & bubbles in the mouth a touch. The alcohol is absent, but can be felt in the head & reasoning centers of the brain. A third of the way through my half of the bomber, & I'm surprised I can still feel my taste buds - the hops haven't lost their lash. I thought they'd be toast by now.

Fantastic beer. I don't know if it's an improvement on the original, which was nearly perfect, but takes it in a new direction that's just as tasty. Highly recommended.

maximum12, May 23, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Corked & Caged bottle poured into standard pint glasses. Split with oglmcdgl, thanks 4 sharing.

A- Deep copper, slight mahogany appearance depending on the light. A huge frothy tan/beige head steadily gained height while pouring so some time was needed to properly pour. Some lacing although the foam is not sticking 100%. Being unfiltered there is some sediment so be careful pouring if you dont want it.

S- Simcoe hops times two. The hop assault in the smell tells me what im getting into. Not sure if this is an effect solely based on the simcoe used but a pine scent is very noticeable. A nice malty backbase smooths things out with a bready/caramel scent. This one is good to smell and will open your eyes. Very pungent.

T- Big huge blast of 100% Simcoe hops and based on the beer I very much like this strain of hops. A bit bitter up front but as the ounces go by the bitterness fades and just pure hop juice invades the palete. The malt base is solid and is probably keeping this super hopped beer very drinkable to me. Some bready notes and sweetness but minimal.

M- I kind of like the feel a bit better than the unfiltered batch but thats just me, it's just a little fuller. A good solid medium bodied feel that gets easier to drink as time proceeds. A good amount of carb from this fairly fresh bottle but a week or two more in the cellar would have probably made the feel even better. A touch bitter and while this is a hop bomb it's not overbearing on the tounge.

D- Weyerbacher is either hit or miss with me and this was a hit. Im not sure which I like better this or the regular version but I will do a side by side to compare. One bomber would be tough to tackle on my own, hopefully they decide to put this version in 12oz bottles like the regular version as well.

BARFLYB, May 22, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a 750 corked and caged bottle into my Duvel snifter. Thanks Roger (liner81) for picking this up for me. This beer is 6 days old from release.

A: A deep murky, floaty orange color with a huge off white 4 finger head, on a conservative pour no less. Medium to low glass lacing.

S: Pine forest. Pine notes with some orange grapefruit citrus and a deep caramel sweetness. Do I detect a bit of funk? Love those simcoe hops.

T: Wow, this is not your average 2X Simcoe. The massive pine forest hops just blast away. The lighter citrus hops ride along but there is no doubt a huge earthy spicy funk to this beer. Very yeasty, very different, kick ass! The malt is the understudy here, as the hops and the yeast just keep pounding through the flavor. Finish is hops bitterness and spicy yeast. Alcohol creeps in on the end. If I closed my eyes, I would swear this was almost a belgian IPA. This beer is freaking good!

M: Full, coating, bitter, yeasty, it has it all. Alcohol warms at the end, you know this beer packs punch, but it is oh so welcomed.

D: For 9.5%? High. The 750 goes down so easily, it scares me.

Overall I just can't say enough about this beer. I love 2X Simcoe, but this ramps the flavors up tremendously. This is an INCREDIBLE beer, do not miss the opportunity to try. I was going to trade a bunch of bottles, but not now. I need to drink every drop of this awesome beer. Dan Weyerbacher, this may be the best beer you ever made, no kidding. Wow.

Kadonny, May 22, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

750ml corked and caged bottle.

Poured a deeper and clloudy/murky amber color with a huge (and I mena huge - 5 finger) sized off white head. Aromas of citrus, pine, floral hops, and a little earthy. Tastes of lots of citrus, wihe some of the same floral hoppiness, pine, and also has a caramel balance. Lighter alcohol in the finish but overall I found it to be well hidden. Lacing left on the glass.

hopdog, May 20, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Attended the release for this new brew on 05/15 at Weyerbacher. Received a couple tasters for this unfiltered beer. Was good enough to leave with two cases of it.

The color is very hazy, as one would expect with an unfiltered beer. Poured a deep orange.

The smell was very hoppy. Definitely a strong double.

The taste was very good. A bit of a bite, but in a good way. Better than the filtered double simcoe, and a throwback to the way I remember the previous releases of the double simcoe.

The mouthfeel was good. Very full ipa.

Drinkability was also very good. This is a stand-up double that should be sought after. The abv was not entirely hidden. You were aware that this was no lightweight, but was hidden well enough that it didn't distract from the overall flavor of the beer.

Overall a very good brew. Nicely done Dan!!!

Plenum, May 20, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Bottle Pours a cloudy amber with a big off white head. The head lasts well and laces quite well also. Has a good hoppy aroma of spruce with a slight touch of sweet malts. Has a good carbonation and a wonderful mouthfeel. The flavor is good. A real nice bitterness. The alcohol is hidden well. Very well blended and balanced. Has an oily texture. A medium to full body. The finish is bold and hearty with a great lingering aftertaste. I liked the Double Simcoe but I love this.

Birdiebeagle, May 19, 2009
« first ‹ prev | 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next › last »
Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.