Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA
No picture uploaded.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

(Beer added by: Birdiebeagle on 05-19-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next › last »
FtownThrowDown

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Pours a dark amber orangish in color. There's a huge, growing, three to four inches of head forming on the pour. Without a drink, it would have overflowed the glass. Be careful on the pour.
Smell is glorious, sticky and skunky hops. What a glorious thing. GB the simcoe hop!
Taste is more simcoe hop. Plenty of stinky, citrusy hops. This is a damn good beer. This needs to be a date stamped year round offering. This beer deserves to be drank in it's stankiest form. Plenty of bitterness and juiciness in the mouthfeel. Full body as well.
I already like their regular Double Simcoe offering, but this is just something else. I absolutely love this beer. I could drink this every day. Kudos to Weyerbacher for this amazing beer. This is among the best DIPA's I've had.

06-02-2009 21:31:05 | More by FtownThrowDown
callmemickey

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

did a blind head to head taste test versus the regular double simcoe... unfiltered won out!

A:
[regular]: rich amber body, with massive off-white fluffy head, and great lacing
[unfiltered]: earthen amber-brown body, huge off-white head and thick sheet like lacing

S:
[regular]: dank pine blast, crisp citrus bitterness, rich malt backbone
[unfiltered]: fresh pine forest, profound, accentuated by citrus bitterness, less malty than the regular DS

T:
[regular]: mirrors the nose, with a strong pine character, citrus notes poke through at the end, carried by dense caramel malts
[unfiltered]: raw pine needles, bitter, grapefruit, malt, some booze

M:
[regular]: slight tingle on the palate from the carbonation, medium body, resinous
[unfiltered]: rugged, dank, resinous, bitter bite on the end. medium bodied, well carbonated.

D:
[regular]: a good dIPA, not my favorite though as i prefer things slightly less malty
[unfiltered]: a significant improvement, i feel that the time in the bottle has improved the overall tone of the beer... upping the hops and mellowing the malts... very, very nice

06-02-2009 03:42:08 | More by callmemickey
pwoods

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

750ml corked and caged brown bottle, purchase at Hyde Park, poured into a tulip.

A: Pours a deep reddish plum flesh color, opaque. 2+ fingers worth of dense, cream head, very good retention and loads of lacing.

S: Yummy yummy Simcoe aroma... gotta be my favorite hop. Fuck yeah, cat piss! Tons of pine and healthy citrus. Some toasty, bready sweetness.

T/M: Great balance between the lip smacking bitterness and nearly chewy sweet malts. Catty, ammonia, very piny. Toasty and sweet malts. The alcohol adds a very interesting character when combined with the added yeast, like a bit of Old Ale alcohol twang with some added fresh spiciness. Body is nearly full and a bit chewy with moderate carbonation.

D: Very tasty but needs to be taken slowly. Very good beer.

06-02-2009 00:50:46 | More by pwoods
nlmartin

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

This beer was served chilled in an Imperial Pint glass. Where to start this beer review? Double Simcoe was really awesome the first time I had a bottle. My very first beer trade I traded a bunch of Double Simcoe Bombers.

Appearance: The beer is definately unfiltered. The beers normally bright amber / orange body is kind of murky. Some may find the murkyness of the beer unappetizing. Me I know its loaded with unfiltered yeasty goodness! The head is a finger and a half with pretty good retention. The head didnt fall as soon as it hit my mustache. Thick rings of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The aroma hits all the right notes. The pine is resinous, the citrus is kicking up grapefruit and pineapple. This would truly be hard to improve upon.

Taste: The beer delivers long lasting pine flavors, honestly taste like what I would expect my Christmas tree to taste like. Then the hops start heading into the citrus notes love grapefruit flavors in beer. Oddly enough I used to hate the flavor of grapefruit. Perhaps I should give a grapefruit another try? Discipline back to the beer. Then the hops dip down into grassy notes. Oddly enough the hops kind of cycle. The malt is definately supporting this hopped up DIPA. This is definately a ballsy hoppy monster.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is full. The carbonation works well with the beers overall character. The hops are very resinous and oily delivering a long lasting flavor on my palate. I am a bit distressed how fast I have destroyed a bottle of this beer. Almost ready to crack a second bottle. This beer is a hop heads dream - literally a form of liquid crack.

06-01-2009 03:08:45 | More by nlmartin
tendermorsel

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

750 ML offering poured into a pint glass.

Tight foaming head. Traces of sediment and hops on top of the head was my first clue that this was gonna be a real winner. So-so nose. Some citrus notes but actually not quite as floral as the "non-special" version.

Extremely cloudy with sediment hops and white flecks. I love unfiltered beers and this was REALLY unfiltered. Awesome mouth feel. Almost gritty from the sediment. Very thick and each sip was laden with wonderful hop flavors. It seemed much maltier than the original. I tasted Grapefruit, sweetened ice tea and mangoes as the beer warmed up a bit. You can tell the hops are their but the beer was not too bitter.

Overall really awesome stuff. The sediment level and mouth feel are pretty intense but I loved this beer. This is a very different beer from the original and I actually prefer it.
Highly Recommended.

05-31-2009 22:23:54 | More by tendermorsel
jamie2dope

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

I bought this special release ale from Weyerbacher this evening at Winchester Wine and Spirits.Appearance is very good looking; it is a rosy, strawberry color. Heading is pretty large, I got about two fingers worth from a rigorous pour. Smell is very citrusy and piney, with all the characteristics of great Imperial IPAs. Big blast of hops starts things off, again this beer is full of pine and citrus, mainly grapefruit. The malt is beaten in to the background, but it is noticeable. Body is medium to heavy, and a bit of a palate bruiser from all the hops. Still, drinking this is a sheer joy, and something that I would purchase often if it was around more. It would be interesting to see how this compares to the regular double simcoe. Either way, if you see it, waste no time, and buy it.

05-30-2009 00:15:53 | More by jamie2dope
marcpal

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

Purchased a case of this at the recent Weyerbacher event for this and Foxtrot. This was superior to just about anything they have put out and that says a lot if you can improve on the original 2x simcoe.

I was told by the staff that it would be a good candidate to age but at this point I am very low on the batch so don't see that happening.
Bottle graphics: 7/10.

Looks even better caged, the day previous it was the hit of a graduation party when a couple bottles were busted out for sharing.

A: Big heavy bottle poured into tumbler for this tasting that was done at the start of Memorial Day weekend. Dark gold but pretty transparent. The head on this was especially fluffy, more so than with the kid brother and I love the look of the sediment that came, especially in the final pour.

S: Obliterated by the piney simcoe tree loving hop scents. I could and plan on smelling this to no end. Beatiful smell that meets every standard of a brilliant hop heavy DIPA- the sweetness is clearly there from the malt but nothing is showcased nearly as much as the aroma of the finest kind.

T: Didn't think I would originally be saying this but it is a step up from the regular version. Pure hop goo if that is what you're in to. The presence of the yeast adds a new level of character that really do create a different monster and display the simcoe hops in a way that leaves the lips smacking. There is a sweetness that is also in its original that make this a mind boggingly good beer.

M: Terrific creaminess. Sure you have to like a bitter beatdown but if thats what you crave with some yeasty texture, this is one for you. The burn is not too much but at least gives you fair warning of what this carries.

D: This was a nice change of pace on a great beer. I usually don't like tweaking with some of my favorites, but this truly is a different creature. If you plan on tasting other beers after this, not a good idea. Your flavor sensing taste buds will have nothing left.

05-29-2009 18:07:47 | More by marcpal
Pencible

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

This poured an opaque copper with tons of light tan head. It was difficult to smell through all the head, but it had scents of rose and pineapple hops with some sweet caramel malt. It tasted like very fresh floral and peach and copper hops, with some honey and caramel sweetness. It was thick and creamy with subtle carbonation, and had a lasting bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a delicious beer with super fresh flavor. Very bitter, but very clean, and with some balance and complexity too. It also had a fantastic smooth body, and hid the alcohol pretty well. I'd love to try this side by side with some of the other top IIPAs.

05-28-2009 19:17:00 | More by Pencible
nc41

4.63/5  rDev +14%

I have to update this, the last two bottles I've had were terrible. Don't know if it's me or the beer, and it came from Bestway so it's not the handling. It's a shame the brew I first loved I wouldn't take for free right now. The only other brew I've ever turned so harshly on was Stone IPA, and I can't account for the change. Looking back on the note it seems like they're two different brews.

Wow this is one great brew. Pours nice, big head that lasts. Nose is all grapefruit and citrus. The 1st sip is almost magical, it is that good. Nicely hopped nicely bitter, and very well balanced. A deep flavor that finishes really well. Do I detect some oak influence here? Only the ABV hurts the score IMO, the 9+ is a beast. Probably the best DIPA out there right now, and definitely a contender to Hopslam.

05-24-2009 00:51:27 | More by nc41
maximum12

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Thanks to marcpal for rushing a couple of bombers of this highly anticipated brew to MN. Marc sent me my first taste of Double Simcoe which led to a serious addiction & he knew I needed to have this. Salut, my friend!

Split the bomber with my Double Simcoe-loving wife. As expected, this is orange & opaque, with some floaties, even leaving a finger of mush & beer in the bottle. Carbonation is well evident. Just sniffing the cork almost sends me into circle-spinning, arms-waving ecstasy. Damn. If that smell isn't Angel's piss, I don't know what is.

Taste meets the promise of the smell. The hop spruce hits the tongue like liquid wood sap, & the unfiltered yeast is close behind, leaving a weird earthy residue on the tongue, tonsils, & lower intestines. Luckily, it's a welcome guest. I suspect there's malt in there somewhere. Don't need to taste it. Don't care.

Carbonation is a titch high, which mars the absolute perfection of the beer (geez I'm hard to please) & bubbles in the mouth a touch. The alcohol is absent, but can be felt in the head & reasoning centers of the brain. A third of the way through my half of the bomber, & I'm surprised I can still feel my taste buds - the hops haven't lost their lash. I thought they'd be toast by now.

Fantastic beer. I don't know if it's an improvement on the original, which was nearly perfect, but takes it in a new direction that's just as tasty. Highly recommended.

05-23-2009 01:53:18 | More by maximum12
BARFLYB

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Corked & Caged bottle poured into standard pint glasses. Split with oglmcdgl, thanks 4 sharing.

A- Deep copper, slight mahogany appearance depending on the light. A huge frothy tan/beige head steadily gained height while pouring so some time was needed to properly pour. Some lacing although the foam is not sticking 100%. Being unfiltered there is some sediment so be careful pouring if you dont want it.

S- Simcoe hops times two. The hop assault in the smell tells me what im getting into. Not sure if this is an effect solely based on the simcoe used but a pine scent is very noticeable. A nice malty backbase smooths things out with a bready/caramel scent. This one is good to smell and will open your eyes. Very pungent.

T- Big huge blast of 100% Simcoe hops and based on the beer I very much like this strain of hops. A bit bitter up front but as the ounces go by the bitterness fades and just pure hop juice invades the palete. The malt base is solid and is probably keeping this super hopped beer very drinkable to me. Some bready notes and sweetness but minimal.

M- I kind of like the feel a bit better than the unfiltered batch but thats just me, it's just a little fuller. A good solid medium bodied feel that gets easier to drink as time proceeds. A good amount of carb from this fairly fresh bottle but a week or two more in the cellar would have probably made the feel even better. A touch bitter and while this is a hop bomb it's not overbearing on the tounge.

D- Weyerbacher is either hit or miss with me and this was a hit. Im not sure which I like better this or the regular version but I will do a side by side to compare. One bomber would be tough to tackle on my own, hopefully they decide to put this version in 12oz bottles like the regular version as well.

05-22-2009 03:12:26 | More by BARFLYB
Kadonny

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a 750 corked and caged bottle into my Duvel snifter. Thanks Roger (liner81) for picking this up for me. This beer is 6 days old from release.

A: A deep murky, floaty orange color with a huge off white 4 finger head, on a conservative pour no less. Medium to low glass lacing.

S: Pine forest. Pine notes with some orange grapefruit citrus and a deep caramel sweetness. Do I detect a bit of funk? Love those simcoe hops.

T: Wow, this is not your average 2X Simcoe. The massive pine forest hops just blast away. The lighter citrus hops ride along but there is no doubt a huge earthy spicy funk to this beer. Very yeasty, very different, kick ass! The malt is the understudy here, as the hops and the yeast just keep pounding through the flavor. Finish is hops bitterness and spicy yeast. Alcohol creeps in on the end. If I closed my eyes, I would swear this was almost a belgian IPA. This beer is freaking good!

M: Full, coating, bitter, yeasty, it has it all. Alcohol warms at the end, you know this beer packs punch, but it is oh so welcomed.

D: For 9.5%? High. The 750 goes down so easily, it scares me.

Overall I just can't say enough about this beer. I love 2X Simcoe, but this ramps the flavors up tremendously. This is an INCREDIBLE beer, do not miss the opportunity to try. I was going to trade a bunch of bottles, but not now. I need to drink every drop of this awesome beer. Dan Weyerbacher, this may be the best beer you ever made, no kidding. Wow.

05-22-2009 00:58:21 | More by Kadonny
hopdog

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml corked and caged bottle.

Poured a deeper and clloudy/murky amber color with a huge (and I mena huge - 5 finger) sized off white head. Aromas of citrus, pine, floral hops, and a little earthy. Tastes of lots of citrus, wihe some of the same floral hoppiness, pine, and also has a caramel balance. Lighter alcohol in the finish but overall I found it to be well hidden. Lacing left on the glass.

05-20-2009 23:49:52 | More by hopdog
Plenum

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Attended the release for this new brew on 05/15 at Weyerbacher. Received a couple tasters for this unfiltered beer. Was good enough to leave with two cases of it.

The color is very hazy, as one would expect with an unfiltered beer. Poured a deep orange.

The smell was very hoppy. Definitely a strong double.

The taste was very good. A bit of a bite, but in a good way. Better than the filtered double simcoe, and a throwback to the way I remember the previous releases of the double simcoe.

The mouthfeel was good. Very full ipa.

Drinkability was also very good. This is a stand-up double that should be sought after. The abv was not entirely hidden. You were aware that this was no lightweight, but was hidden well enough that it didn't distract from the overall flavor of the beer.

Overall a very good brew. Nicely done Dan!!!

05-20-2009 16:19:21 | More by Plenum
Birdiebeagle

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Bottle Pours a cloudy amber with a big off white head. The head lasts well and laces quite well also. Has a good hoppy aroma of spruce with a slight touch of sweet malts. Has a good carbonation and a wonderful mouthfeel. The flavor is good. A real nice bitterness. The alcohol is hidden well. Very well blended and balanced. Has an oily texture. A medium to full body. The finish is bold and hearty with a great lingering aftertaste. I liked the Double Simcoe but I love this.

05-19-2009 22:21:44 | More by Birdiebeagle
« first ‹ prev | 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next › last »
Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.