Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA
No picture.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Beer added by: Birdiebeagle on 05-19-2009

Ratings: 410 | Reviews: 219
4.05/5  rDev 0%

22 ounce amber champagne style bottle, cork and cage, good presentation. No idea how old the bottle is, but at 9% ABV, I figured store aged beer would be acceptable.

This is a really interesting beer. A lot going on for an American IPA, which is usually delicious, but simple "cascade like" grapefruit hop aroma, flavor and bitterness. This beer is hopped out, but has a interesting and complex malt bill as well.

I enjoy that it is a 9% beer but isn't an average American barleywine. It stays true to being a boozed up hopped out IPA. Simcoe is a great hop too, very piney and citrusy, works well in this beer.

I got a cloudy glass, but I can see from others sipping on the beer it can be on the clear side. A darker amber color, off white head. I am going to guess this bottle is on the old side, because the beer clearly has lots of hops in it, but the smell has reduced from age. But the booziness has clearly mellowed out nicely, and the malt comes out a bit more in the aged beer as well. The taste and mouthfeel are what make the beer. Great intensely flavored malty and hoppy beer. Full mouthfeel, complimenting bitterness and alcohol flavor. good stuff. I enjoyed it. So did everyone else. Definitely one of my favorite Weyerbacher beers.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

As a homebrewer I like my beers dirty and my bottle of Unfiltered DS poured a dirty red with extreme fluffy head into my Duvel goblet glass. The smell punches me with pine and spice like characters. I am struck with the image of a wet pine forest smell with a pungent touch of almost but defiantly not yet garlic smell. I totally smelled this beer for fifteen minutes while I waited for it to warm up. upon touching my lips the double simcoe tastes super fresh and strong with the noticeably trademarked simcoe hop flavor at the front of my mouth I also get a tingling in the base of my jaw on both side telling me this is a ^&%^&% hoppy beer. As it moves back through my mouth the pine and acidity increase blossoming as I swallow and burp hop goodness. Mouth feel is good and coating but not syrupy. I must get more. I tasted this beer in 1/9/11 fresh. I prefer this to regular DSIPA.

3.63/5  rDev -10.4%

think this to be the nightcap to my new years eve/day.

A: pours dark amber/brown with a finger or so thick off white head. that has a small amount of lacing.
S: pine and a light grapefruit hop. also a bit of yeast as well as some east-coast sweet malt.
T: a very nice palate killer for an east coast ipa. doesn't wrap under the tongue as bad ad others.
M: smooth, somewhat creamy.
D: over it was meant to cover-up a bad diamond. other than that its a good ipa.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep golden brown color, with a very large off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized malts, floral hops and citrus.

T: The taste starts out with a burst of piney hops bitterness. Then a hearty malt character quickly follows along with sweet flavors of caramel and citrus. There's a decent balance and the hops presence returns to the forefront. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style, there are other 2IPA's I would pick first but this is a very solid beer worth drinking for a long time.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

750ml C&C poured into MS cervoise

A - Cloudy, natural cider brown, very large light tan head with good lacing.

S - Some citrus hops mainly, yeast and some must and dankness

T - Caramel malt, slight citrus hops, orange and lemon zest. As expected, strong simcoe hops which aren't my favorite but still good. This causes the dry bitter taste

M - As noted, very dry and thick. Lots of carbonation

D - More of a yeasty taste than expected. This is a big beer that seems to be fighting itself. Pretty good, not great. Also, the cork was impossible to get off. I had to use a wine opener after ripping the top half of the cork off. Not affected the beer but kind of a pain.

2.83/5  rDev -30.1%

I had this one once before, but have since forgotten all about it.

A: Poured a mohogany color, with a huge soapy head (like most unfiltered beers), and fairly moderate carbonation. Even though it looks more like an amber to me, I've seen weirder.

S: Smells of grass, hay, a bit of sweetness (in an organic, sugar cane kind of way, as opposed to a candy one), and a tinge of booze.

T: Very boozy, then the unpleasant lawn-clipping quality hits the palate. Not pleasant. This brew would benefit greatly from just a tinge more sweetness, even a bit more syrupiness.

M: The booze killed me! No, not the bloodstream, but the taste buds. The bitter grassiness just lingered, almost as if it was begging me to stop drinking. The carbonation was sufficient.

D: I asked myself during the session, "Do I just not like Simcoe?" The answer: I think I still do despite my misgivings about this well regarded brew. Heck, the Mikeller Simcoe was excellent! I just don't think the Weyerbacher taste profile worked in this setting.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 750 ml cork and cage into a snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy orange with a one finger tan head.
S: Citrus flavors, malt, and LOTS of hops.
T: Very bitter, perhaps even more so than the original. The citrus and malt hit first up front, but the bitterness really takes over the middle and finish. The aftertaste is much more balanced though, with lots of citrus to even out the hops.
M: A bit sticky, but well carbonated and medium bodied.
D: This is a very bitter, sticky beer. It kind of reminds me of Mean Manalishi in that the IBU's seem over the top. Perhaps bottle conditioning had something to do with this perception as the original does not have brewer's yeast and is clearer and lighter in color, as well as crisper.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a Bruery tulip. Beer is dark amber and hazy iwth a thick white head of small bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to high. Head has a lot of staying power.

Aroma is smooth but hop forward with piny hops, smells good.

Beer is medium bodied with minimal sweetness up front with nice hop flavors and smooth bitterness at the back with a clean finish. Beer is really enjoyable as a DIPA. Its a definite repeat for me.

3.57/5  rDev -11.9%

750 mL cork-n-cage Belgian, bottle-conditioned. Pours a deep reddish copper, quite hazy, with lots of carbonation that leads up to two inches of ecru head, which is frothy at the bottom and thick as meringue up top. Very heady aroma is densely packed with hops that deliver pineapple, blood orange, apple, perfume and peaches, blended with fruity alcohols, and a dash of crystal and toasted malts. This is followed by a hop assault on the palate, with notes of pine, citrus, tropical fruits, peaches and a huge, long-lingering bitterness, all of which attempt to crowd out fruity and peppery alcohols, light malt, and a hint of papery oxidation. It is highly carbonated, which helps to keep the medium body a few steps shy of syrupy. This is a VERY intense DIPA that comes across as distilled hop juice. Not really a balanced brew; the alcohol is a bit too prevalent and the hops completely overwhelm nearly all the malts, leading to quick palate fatigue and making it almost a chore to drink by the end. However, if you are a hophead, you will be hard-pressed to find a brew that packs more hops per bottle than this.

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1 pint, 9.4oz bottle into a tulip glass. The labels information includes the ABV only whit is listed at 9%.

Appearance: This beer pours very hazy as expected with an almost ice tea like color. On top is a light tan head of about two to three fingers thickness. This head is long lasting and makes tons of sweet slick lacing on the glass.

Smell: There is an interesting balance of sweet malt and citrusy grapefruit hops. Deeper in the aroma there are some lemony herbal spicy notes as well.

Taste/Palate: There is an extreme full bodied hit in the mouth of citrusy grapefruity hops, sweet bready malt, yeast, herbal citrusy tea like hops and sweet brown sugar notes. Hop bitterness seems to only catch up in the finish. The finish is slow with all things coming together melting into the tongue. It is full bodied and full textured with a bit a chew to it. The carbonation is good and keeps things from getting sticky or cloying.

Notes: This one knocked me for a loop. There is a ton of hop flavor and complexity with this wonderful single hopped ale.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Big pop from the cork.

A-Pours dark amber with a gigantic dense head.

S-More balanced than expected. Very piney hops collide with sweet malts. Citrus hops are also quite evident.

T-Strong flavor. Pine and citrus hops with big malt. Hop foward without the super bitter finish. Somewhat roasty in the end as well.

M-Sticky and resiny.

D-Great taste and quite drinkable.

Not sure if I like the unfiltered better than the other one. I'm a big fan of the booming cork pop at the beginning however.

3.97/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my brand new Pumpking chalice. It poured murky and dark orange, almost brownish in color. It started with a big frothy and bubbly white head to it that faded some but kept a nice layer covering the beer as I drank it. Some nice lacing was left on my glass as I drank it.

The aroma shows a nice floral and citrusy hoppiness to it. I get some grassy and pine flavors from it along with some nice citrusy and tropical fruit flavors. Some sweet malty, caramel flavors come through as well.

The taste shows more of the malty, caramel flavors then the nose did. The hoppiness really starts coming through more towards the finish. Grapefruit citrus, pine and just a bit of a tropical fruit flavor comes through. The alcohol shows through in the finish as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it had some nice flavors and I enjoyed the flavors of the Simcoe hops. The malt flavors really came through to add some nice balancing sweetness to it. Very enjoyable beer overall.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Huge head (seven fingers!). The beer is orange-amber and very cloudy. Each re-pour creates another excessive head. Settles slowly and leaves lumpy lace.

Strong pine-like hoppy aroma. The alcohol is quite prevalent.

Nearly extreme, this is a heavily hopped beer with a potent alcohol presence. Rich broth with a mild carbonation level. Starts with a light malt flavor. Long, long bitter aftertaste.

1.91/5  rDev -52.8%

Super, super thick head over opaque nut brown color. Thing is, the foam was sort of thick and pasty. Also, I should add that blond beers look better unfiltered than darker ones do. At least in my opinion.

Not much aroma outside the booze and, well, sorry to say, a rather faint vomit-like smell. How unfortunate. Getting past that, I just get a ton of caramel and nondescript bitterness.

I guess, at least for me, I don't like bitter for bitters sake, I see bitter as a bit of a necessary evil that comes along with all the vibrancy and interesting aromas and flavors that hops provide. This had neither of those and just bitterness. Not cool at all.

I tried this beer after not being all that impressed with the regular double simcoe but seeing how many loved both that beer, and particularly this beer in a recent thread. Surely I was missing something. Well, perhaps I still am. I shared the beer with a few other tasters and nobody finished theirs.

Also, I bought the beer from a reputable store and took it straight home to my fridge.

750 cork and cage poured into standard pint glass

A- Dark orange pour bordering on brown with burnt hues. Slight haze. Slow pour yields a 2 finger off white head that just wont quit. Friends pour is not as constrained and results in a half glass of head. Be cautious with this one...

S- Simcoe for sure....I really enjoy the simcoe hop and don't get the catpiss smell that many complain about. Here the hops are hard at work kicking out a strong and pleasant nose, but the bouquet is a bit too subdued. I pick up strong pine and melon rind with a strong toasty biscuit malt backbone reinforcing the hops.

T- Similar to what the nose suggests, I get a surge of toasted bread followed up by a punch of pine and melon fruit. Very enjoyable in my opinion. Bitterness is strong, but clean and not overwhelming and clings to the palate without being too astringent. Really tasty flavor throughout and a marked improvement from the standard version.

M- This is simply where the beer goes to a level that many can't IMO. This might not be for everyone, but I simply love the body that is demonstrated here. HUGE mouthfeel. This beer is meaty. Chunky. Thick. Whatever words you want to use; it is. It clings to the palate and refuses to let go. like biting into a loaf of fresh baked bread it just sticks to everything and lasts forever. I love it.

D- While the huge mouthfeel makes it hard to put back quick, it makes me eager to take another sip to replenish the void. I had no trouble finishing the 750, and will gladly pick up another.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

No snifter available, so poured into a standard pint glass and shared with a friend.

A: Pours a bold copper/orange in color white a huge 3-finger off-white head.. and trust me, I poured this very gently. It is completely opaque/hazy (clearly because it's unfiltered) and the head retention is great. Lacing is quite nice, as well. Definitely darker than I expected, but didn't disappoint otherwise.

S: A strong nose built upon a firm malty backbone. Citrus notes accompany a bouquet of piney hops.

T: There is a lot going on here.. the malt backbone shines through pretty strongly. There is a sugery sweetness upfront, as well, followed by orange and grapefruit notes. A slight bite from the alcohol comes through in the end. Definitely like the taste, just a bit more malty and hefty than I was expecting.

M: The fullest body I've had in a DIPA, by far. Creamy feel with lots of carbonation. Just a little out-of-balance to me.

D: Glad I split this bottle. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but man this one is heavy for a DIPA. The alcohol comes through more in this one than most DIPAs I've had. Usually I'll want the whole bomber to myself and that will yield a better drinkability score, but that's not the case so I'm docking it a bit. Still above average.

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this bottle from Lunch in our second awesome trade-- thanks Paul!

I poured this into a tulip pint glass and was shocked at how much head I got-- I haven't gotten this much head since... Well, nevermind. Anyway, it nearly overflowed (and I wasn't being rough with the pour either!) The beer is a deep, dark, opaque in the middle, translucent on the edges, coppery color. Nice fluffy head is 3 fingers of off-white froth that leaves lacing that is almost scarily thick. The bubbles are large and plentiful in this beer. It is just a tad darker than I generally prefer for my DIPAs, but otherwise, this looks really great!

The pine notes are thick and sappy with some citrusy notes playing a nice accompaniment with the 2nd fiddle. There is obviously a big malt bill here too, but the hops are really big, almost drowning out the malts-- at least in the nose. The taste lets those malts through a bit more. A nice sweetness up front is like candied sugar and sweet bread but then here come those hops... Big tangerine, nectarine, grapefruit, and pine flavors come bursting forth in a big way. The beer is nicely balanced and easy to drink-- the finish might be my only complaint in that it finishes sticky. The beer coats my teeth and tongue (which I would expect), but also seems to coat the back of my throat too. The body is certainly on the full side of medium, but not quite "full-bodied" (though one of the closest to it that I've come across).

The overall drinkability is very nice. I am going to finish this bomber with ease-- though I feel like I'll need a glass of water to wash it down! I am impressed with how nicely this one came out. I'm happy to see a non-west-coast DIPA come through this well. This isn't the giant light and clean hop bomb that some people look for, but this beer has a gritty earthiness, it's a hard worker. I respect the hustle this brew brings to the playing field day in and day out.

As this warms up, the alcohol comes out a bit... So watch out!

3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into pint glass.

Pours a large off white head that is kind of fizzy. Decent retention. Color is a burnt copper brown/orange.

Aroma: Big hop profile. Pine shows a lot. Caramel malt with some sweet grapefruit notes.

Taste: Sweet grapefruit citrus up front. Pine and floral hops. A slight caramel malt profile, but not a lot. Just enough to show but not enough to be distracting.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and creamy. Medium bodied with a medium to high amount of carbonation. Fairly fizzy feel to it for a dipa. Ends a bit sticky with a hop resin feel to it.

Overall, this one is fairly drinkable for how big it is. Better than the regular DS imo. It was more hazy (just a random note). Pretty fresh and enjoyable.

3.51/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into my Duvel tulip

A - Pours a dark reddish-brown color with a huge pillowy tan head. This is absolutely beautiful, and took a good 3 minutes to recede enough for me to drink it!

S - Pungent piney hops, tropical fruits (mango mainly), sweet caramel malt and a slight whiff of yeast.

T - Pretty spot-on with the nose. There is a strong bitterness toward the end and a bit of booziness.

M - Creamy and slightly sticky, with a bit higher then medium body. Carbonation is nice and lively.

D - Definitely a sipper, the ABV and bitterness sneak up on you. Judging from the look and smell, I thought this would be better then it was. Still a tasty brew, just no where near the big-boys in the class.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

A-Deep ruddy orange brown, with a huuuge pillowy tan head and sheets of lacing.

S-Classic simcoe hoppiness. Piney, sticky, resiny. Also some pineapple and mango notes for good measure. Oh, you want malt? We got some of that too.

T-Huge, deep, rich malt in the front and strongly bitter grapefruit in the back end. Pine sweetness is not as detectable as in the nose, but some booziness is there instead

M-Rich, sticky, lingering and heavy. Not a bad thing but your tongue will remember this beer.

D-Very fine indeed. Bursting with aromatics, strong flavor profile lasts and lasts. Yummy!

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Corked bomber poured into my Stone IPA Specialty glass.

A: Pours out a rugged brown color similar to that of rusty water. The head explodes on impact and I refrain from pouring more than a third of the glass as it begins to overflow. I let the four inch plus head dissipate a couple minutes while I reflected on the situation.

S: Nose have way down the goblet I sense lots of hops, no surprise there. Followed by earthy tones and yeast round things off. Raisons come to mind as there is mostly a sweetness throughout this procedure.

T: Get a nice hit of the hops in the front right off the get-go. Relatively balanced in a way with the malt and yeast coming in after to make things a little complex. I like it for the most part.

M: Slightly over medium in body, sticky, ABV noticeable within the aroma that I failed to mention above.

D: Good sipper overall. Wasn't too sure what to expect from this beer, though I did think it was going to hoppier in my mind. I do prefer the regular over the unfiltered as that is just my preference. Probably won't have THIS one again, but I do encourage people who haven't to at least give it a whirl.

Cheers!

1.4/5  rDev -65.4%

Oh dear God, why do I not learn from my mistakes? Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, deserving of an upper cut sack blast.

Monstrously billowy pour with more head than your run of the mill smut film. What's the deal with the carbonation here? Way out of place and not complimentary by any stretch.

Since the nose and smell are so similar, let's comment as such. Imagine huffing gasoline through a stale plantain laden hose. A little bit of Mobil grade 87 and a bit of Chiquita bananas set aflame and doused with an overly vigorous blanket of Belgian yeast. Oh, no!!!

Please don't make me drink anymore. The next sip goes straight to Davey Jones's locker.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Thanks to G311 for the brew...

A - Cloudy orangey-gold hue, big white head and lace.

S - There is a bitter tropical pungency in the nose, like the sap that comes out of mango when you pick it from the tree; a mixture of tropical-fruity and sappy-evergreen. The other usual suspects are hanging out in the background there too: grapefruit, tangerine, orange zest, etc.

T - The taste is pretty much the olfactory extrapolated to the gustatory. Tropical-evergreen hoppiness abounds, with little malt assertion, perhaps a tiny bit of sweetness. The bitterness is quite heavy, though likely not as heavy as the standard Double Simcoe.

M - IPA. Quite good.

D - Overall this is quite an outstanding brew, as long as it is ultra-fresh. Too bad you have to research batch dates to determine that, because there is no freshness dating.

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is apricots, oranges and caramel malt. The flavor is a mixed bag of citrus fruit, pine and a nice caramel malt backbone. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.26/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Cork was a real pain to get out, ended up ripping it and had to use a corkscrew. Appears murky amber orange in the glass. Large Foamy creamy pale white head. Decent lacing on the glass, good head retention and consistent carbonation bubbles.

S- Strong pine and molasses balance, and alcohol.

T- Sticky pine hop taste, underlying delicious malt, some toned caramel.

M- Thick bodied, covers the palate very nicely, almost creamy type feel to it, great aftertaste, good amount of carbonation.

D- A pleasure to sip, even as it warms its delicious which is not common in this style in my opinion. The 9% is well hidden, the balance is great and the mouthfeel is full. Great brew here.

Unfiltered Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.