Fourteen Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Fourteen AleFourteen Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Wheatwine |  11.80% ABV

Wheatwine Ale celebrating brewing from 1995-2009, brewed with over 50% wheat malt.

(Beer added by: mikey711 on 07-09-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fourteen Ale Alström Bros

4.78/5  rDev +26.1%

All Hail Weyerbacher!!!
I have had the anniversary beers from 12 and 13 but this thing blows everything out of the water!
It pours a light amber body with a thin white froathy head.
The smell is unbelievable. It is full of wheat malt, strong, thick caramel malt lacing and a little hint of mild hops along with some alcohol notes.
The taste is even better! This is like the strongest hefeweissen you've ever had, mixed with a nice English barleywine and then finishes with a strong Dukleweissen finish. There's a great wheat forefront with nice caramel and 2 row mouthfeel and then a thick alcohol and barley back mouth followed by bannana and clove hints.
The mouthfeel is velvety and fantastic!
This is very easy drinking for a strong beer and Im sure it will age well.
This beer is one of the best I've had in months, love it, buy it, store it, it's the best!!!!

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Fourteen Ale
Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
Style: Wheatwine
ABV: 11.80 %
reviewed 10/26/09, bottle? snifter galss

I must state a few things related to this review to help the reader. I am a big fan of wheat brews in general and have reviewed more wheat beers than most others to date. I am also a homebrewer who brews wheat, honey wheat and wheatwine style ales. I have created some pretty solid honey wheat ales and wheatwines with consistency. This is only my second review of a commercially available wheatwine, but I do know what is a good example of the style from homebrew experience and judging (in examples up to 10% abv). This Weyerbacher offering surpassed my expectations, and did an awesome job at a great example of the style. I still like my homebrew version a tad bit better, but I could be biased.

Cheers to Weyerbacher, this is one fine big wheatwine, and it hides the abv well with some great aromas, taste and mouthfeel!

On to the review...
A 5.0 - Awesome example of a wheat brew, impressive at this ABV! Cloudy honey/wheat in color with a solid but fluffy 2 finger head. Excellent retention and lace as any wheat beer should have IMHO.
S 4.0 - Aromas of caramel malts and wheat. Very subtle boozyness sneaks in - but I am okay with it with this big of a beer.
T 5.0 - As I hoped - DEE-LISH!!!! Tastes as it smells, with semi sweet wheat and malts, balanced appropriately without being cloying. A nice clove spice sneaks in, all in unity hiding the 11.8% with the class of one impressive brew.
MF 4.5 - Medium-full body for a wheat brew, medium+ carbonation.

Drinkability 5.0! - Dont let the BA "average" fool you - this is one dynamite wheatwine. I like it as much as my 2 year - 12+ batch tweaked homebrewed version. I really enjoyed the clove tastes of this one, as it's a new experience for me since I brew mine with Chico yeast. They may be on to something here....

CHEERS to Weyerbacher, this is the best Wheatwine I have bought to date, and it is an awesome rep of the style!

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

4.7/5  rDev +24%

You can always expect that Weyerbacher, if anything, will make a good big beer. This one is not only a big beer, it is so unique and incredible tasty. Not to mention DANGEROUSLY drinkable and smooth for an ABV of 11.8%

12 oz. bottle- 3 separate pours into an oversized wine glass.

A- Golden amber very light brown sandy color. Lacing and nice head retention- off white head to be exact. Carbonation bubbles flowing.

S- Booze and spice. Orange zest and lemon peel. Fruits and bubblegum.

T- I am shocked that this beer (as young as it is) does not have a big alcohol punch. Lemony, fruity, wheaty, malty. Incredibly tasty and an experience for my tastebuds.

M- Medium bodied and sticky.

D- 5.0 rating for the incredibly scary drinkability for such a big time beer.

I will pick up a few more bottles for sure. This is why I LOVE weyerbacher- innovative and always shooting to go one step further.

4.63/5  rDev +22.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Gorgeous amber color with about a half finger of head that dissipates quickly. A few bubbles slowly move their way up.

S: Some sweetness, but mainly alcohol and apples.

T: Oh yeah--that's the taste. Nice spiciness that hangs around longer than the alcohol and sweet fruit that I'm tasting. Delicious.

M: Very warming, little carbonation, and a nice long finish.

D: I love how this tastes, but would make an ass of myself if I enjoyed a few too many of these. Oh well, not like I haven't done it before...

Very tasty (and sexy looking) wheatwine from Weyerbacher. Get your hands on this if you can.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

A - Pours a hazy/cloudy orange/gold color, very mild lacing on the glass, virtually no head after the pour. Mild, steady carbonation.

S - Picking up hints of banana, cloves, spices, reminds me somewhat of a German wheat beer aroma. I'm not sure if perhaps its my allergies or what, but I'm not getting an overly strong aroma, it's on the upper end of mild, not strong or pungent in any way.

T - Picking up on my tongue what I smelled from the class - banana, cloves, spices, a little bit of a fruit character. At the start, is mild on the middle tongue but warms to a boozy finish at the end. I get the usual "chewiness" that I experience with most wheat beers. (Go figure since it's a wheat, huh?)

D - I really enjoyed this beer and it's all the more interesting since it's an up and coming style. The alcohol is definitely not hidden with the warm finish. This is one I couldn't have more than one or two on an empty stomach. Deserves to be sipped from a snifter by itself, or possibly with the right cheese pairing. I'm not a food snob by any means so I'll enjoy this beer by itself sitting on the deck at the end of the day. Hats off to Weyerbacher on this one. A nice follow up to last year's XIII.

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

12 ounce bottle into snifter.

A- Pours a cloudy reddish-orange, with a thin off-white head leaving great lacing.

S- Very aromatic beer. Noticeable alcohol in the front. Strong earthy wheat coupled with a strong clove and a nice bready yeast aroma.

T- Fantastic all around. Nice wheat flavor, with banana's and cloves all over the place, very reminiscent of a Belgian with out the cloyness. Slight alcohol in the end, which is surprising given the aroma, I thought it would be more prevalent.

M- On the heavy side but not over handed. Good carbonation

D- This is my first foray into the world of wheat wines and I'm in love. I'm tempted to age a couple of these just for the hell of it, but it tastes so good now I'm not sure I'll be able to keep them for long.

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an small snifter.

This brew pours a brassy, golden orange, with a thin off-white head that leaves thick lacing around the rim of the glass. It's extremely cloudy, and does not clear much as it settles. It looks quite distinctive.

The smell is intense, with the alcohol hitting you up front. This is nearly a 12% ABV beer, and it lets you know it as soon as it gets near your nose. Once the initial burn subsides, the other, more complex notes come through. The wheat exerts a strong presence, eclipsing any of the other malts, and adding a very distinct character to the aroma. There are also strong spice notes, primarily clove, and a mild, bready yeast aroma. There's also a pronounced, candy-like sweetness to the smell, somewhere between caramel and butterscotch.

The taste hides the alcohol better than I had expected from the smell. It's definitely there, but it hits in the back of the throat, rather than on the front of the tongue, allowing the other flavors to come through. The wheat is clearly the most prominent flavor, mixing with strong caramel notes and a moderate spiciness. For a potent beer with such strong flavors, they come together surprising well, providing a pleasantly complex combination of tastes, the alcohol rounding it out with a pleasing warmth.

The body is certainly on the heavy side, and it coats the mouth, but it's clean and smooth. This is a rich beer, but it doesn't get too overwhelming.

It's delicious, and easier to get through than a lot of other, similarly strong beers. I wouldn't want to (or be able to) get through more than a couple, but this is a beer I could see myself going back to on a relatively regular basis.

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%

Slight amber colored head, fairly filmy. The beer is a very dense, cloudy orange amber, and one could almost imagine the thick sediment within as prehistoric yeast cake trapped in solidified sap. There is in fact a very large quanitity of sediment sitting at the bottom of the glass, and copious amounts also suspended within the luminous liquid. I like a little bit of particulate, but this is excessive. Absolutely no lacing left on the glass.

Bright aroma of floral and evergreen hops, sweet and tangy, but light. Perfumey, but not cloying. Needs a little swirl of the glass to really emerge, though.

Flavor has a strong sour note of lemon and cider vinegar, tempered by a pleasant sweetness of wheat malt and soft hints of herbal tea. Nicely layered and complex, a bit of a cross between sour and barleywine.

Considerable body is well-perforated by ample effervescence, giving a pleasingly balanced mouthfeel.

Especially for something over 10%, the alcohol is not very noticeable, and the lemon flavors keep it light and eminently drinkable.

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle at home on May 25, 2010.

Pours a nice burnt orange, somewhat cloudy with quite a bit of floaters in there. Small off-white head. Not too much lacing. A light fizz.

Smells of light caramel and apple cider. Some tartness.

Very flavorful but not extremely bold. Tastes light a light barleywine with some banana notes.

Full bodied but not too heavy. Actually softer than I was expecting.

Highly drinkable for the style and the ABV. The alcohol is pretty well masked on this one (not completely hidden, obviously, it's pushing 12%), which could get dangerous.

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

The 12oz bottle pours a hazy (especially if you swirl the yeast on the bottom of the bottle) amber color. There's a thick creamy head which mostly subsides, but makes its presence known until the end. Wheatwines vary tremendously in character so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect with the one. I ended up being greeted with an enticing German-style wheat beer aroma. The flavor turns out to be even better. This brew has the perfectly refined spicy, clovey, characters I look for in my favorite German wheat beers, but without the nasty plastic/band-aid junk you sometimes get in American attempts at the style. I also liked that it stays surprisingly dry considering the alcohol content. There might be a mild burn from the alcohol, but I wouldn't guess it's almost 12%. This is easily one of the best American brewed German-style wheat beers I've ever had. If there's a slight negative, it's the price I paid ($4 per 12oz bottle). Whatever the case, Weyerbacher did an incredible job with this brew!

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

Bottle courtesy of jwc215. Thanks Joe!

2nd Wheat Wine from the same box!!

This pours a hazy reddish orange with a 2 finger head of foam. Lots of swirling bubbles. It looks fabulous in my NB goblet.

The smell is spicy and malty with notes of sweetness, clove, light bananas, and wheat. I like.

The taste matches the nose but is way more intense in every department. The banana and clove are big, the sweet smacks of honey and is big, the wheat is big, big citrus presence giving me some ice tart notes..the only thing that isn't really big, at least tastewise, is the alcohol. Definitely some warming after the swallow though. ;^)

Medium mouthfeel with the carbonation on the high end of low, despite the vigorous bubble activity in the glass. Speaking of which, head retention and lacing are damn good.

Drinkability? This sucker is dangerous!! It's like drinking a Hefeweizen, all the flavours seem to be there, only amped up more than just a few notches. What a pleasure to sip this one away. Quite a different beast from the Smuttynose Wheat Wine I had, a very good brew in its own right. Fabulous job, Weyerbacher!

4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

A - Pours into glass amber color, decent head and lacing left on the glass,

S - smooth wheat smell with some alcohol present,

T -good, wheat and booze, loved it,

M- appropriate mouthfeel,
D- high drinkability despite having a fair amount of alcohol,

Fourteen Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.