Fourteen Special Dark - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Fourteen Special DarkFourteen Special Dark

rAvg: 4
Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Wheatwine |  11.80% ABV

(Beer added by: jzeilinger on 11-15-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

3.63/5  rDev -9.3%

A - dark copper with a thin layer of soft, off white, brownish head that has decent retention

S - white grapes, a hint of apples, raisins, sugar, dark fruit

T - white grapes, sweet, apples, dark fruit, sugar, spicy alcohol, boozy

M - dry, very warm, low carbonation, smooth

This is a unique beer. The flavor is very strong wine and fruity. It's a slow sipper given the alcohol level. It's was intriguing. It's probably worth a try if you like BIG beers or the style.

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz bottle from Bruisin Ales (Asheville, NC). 3.49. Bottled in 2009. Served in my Founders snifter.

Pours cloudy pale orange with 1.5 frothy white head that quickly fades. Only a few occasional tiny bubbles left on the glass- but I'm not sure that can be called lacing.

Smells sweet- bananna, orange, pepper, spice, earthy wheat, brown sugar, currants. It doesn't knock me over the head but it's nice.

Tastes smooth and sweet. Honey, burnt sugar, wheat, spice, mild bananna and grapes. It has a slight Belgian thing going on. There is a noticeable tinge of booze but not near what I expected from the almost 12% abv (I think two and a half years has probably settled that). Complex and enjoyable.

Medium full feel with very mild carbonation. A long, semi dry, almost wine like aftertaste.

Overall an enjoyable beer that I'd happily have again. Different from my typical imperial stouts and IPAs but a nice break. I haven't had many wheatwines but I'm beginning to think that this less popular style deserves more of my time & exploration.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Alesmith Horny Devil snifter.

A- pours a dark orange with a 1 finger light tan. Small traces of lacing remain along the glass.

S- very sweet, candi sugar. Some orange and dark fruits.

T- wheat, candi sugar, oranges, some alcohol.

M- full body, medium carbonation. Abv is noticeable that leaves a slight burn and dry finish.

O- very good wheat wine. Alcohol is still noticeable may mellow with another year on it.

3.15/5  rDev -21.3%

Thanks for sharing another wheatwine tick, Bobby.

A: The pour is an amber brown sort of color with a finger of off-white head.

S: Not quite as boozy as the regular, thankfully. Some banana and lots of citrus, maybe some other dark fruit notes. A little bit of toasted and roasted malt.

T: Maybe a little bit of vanilla and toasted malt. There's a little bit of banana and some citrus fruit flavors. Still fairly boozy, but that's not surprising. Also some brown sugar and caramel.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Though not as boozy as the regular version, it's still a bit much.

4.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

huge thanks to rich who scored me this

blackness comes from the bottle and is nearly impervious to any light. think head of light tan laces the top and leaves a decent amount of lacing down the sides of the glass.

aroma is one of the most hoppy beer that i have ever come across in my life. just an amazingly hoppy beer. thick citrus notes just come across from the very first moment i get close to it. an amazing amount hops squeezed into this beer. each sip shreds the palate with a mesmerizing amount of rich nugget like goodness. such a super dry finish with an amazingly complex profile that you just cannot believe it packed into a beer

overall i am floored and one of the most amazingly complex and hoppy beers i have ever had in my life.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Big thanks to Naugros for this bottle!

Found out later on that there was a dark version of Fourteen. I had to have it. Success. It pours a mostly clear dark garnet-brown topped by a finger of tan foam. The nose comprises caramel, candi-sugar, toffee, vanilla, dark wheat, light booze, and mandarin orange. The taste holds notes of mandarin orange syrup, caramel, light chocolate, dark wheat, light honey, candi sugar, brown sugar, and very light coffee. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a syrupy feel, and a kinda dry finish. Overall, a decidedly good wheatwine, one of the best I've yet had. More breweries need to take this route with their w-wines.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

Had this at the Brewery. I hadn't noticed that there were 2 different types of XIV on the market. Turned out to be a different batch of wheat that was sent to them and it makes it a darker version on the regular XIV. If you get the chance to try them side by side you'll be in for a treat. This Wheatwine is a cloudy brown color that reminds me of a Doppelbock or Eisbock mixed with a Dunkelweizen. The aroma is big and citrusy. Lots of things going on in there. Some dark fruits, and malts add to the aroma. The flavor is big too, lots of flavor here. I'm thinking that I get some kind of plum flavors mixed with the boozey flavors of rich malts and wheat. I agree with one of the reviews below, this beer is probably the next best thing to Founders Nemesis 2009. But the Nemesis wins every time.

3.68/5  rDev -8%

Bottle. Poured into a tulip glass a clear dark caramel red color with a tan 1/2 finger head of tiny bubbles. Caramel, dark fruit, banana, and slight alcohol. Some lace left on the glass as the head settles out. Medium mouthfeel. Starts off with a pretty sweet caramel and fruit flavor and quickly transitions to a bitter boozy flavor. Ends rather cleanly with only a slight alcohol aftertaste. As it warms the bitter ending becomes a little more prevalent. Overall, not bad but not a true favorite either.

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Tasted after well over a year in my cellar, not sure when it was brewed.

Fourteen Special Dark is wow a dark wheat wine which looks clean, up to the light a brilliant dark ruby red hue gives this beer a appealing drink me look. I also took notice to the extensive alcohol legs on the side of my glass. The smell is phenomenal. I detect strong sweet wheat notes followed by a subtle alcohol presence. I also detect some slight caramel in the smell which is neat. The taste is sweet sweet maltiness with a dry strong wheat flavor that is tied together with some slightly bitter roasted notes. I also detect a slightly off after taste that may be some oxidation it seems almost cardboard like and beyond dry so I will chalk it up to the cellar. I would call this beer a sipper and a good beer two years out. I think it might have been aged a bit too long.

4.6/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cellared a year.

A: Looks like a super light black until you hold it up to the light then it is a super dark garnet color. A little bit of brown head with decent head retention.

S: The nose is of dark fruits right up front. Dates and raisins. Almost has a port like quality to it as well. There is a bit of booze but nothing like when this beer was fresh. Really am loving the nose on this beer.

T: Wow. Super complex. Lots of dark fruits. Tons of malt. Almost has the taste of an eisbock in a lot of ways. Dates raisins. This is up there for me with Founders Nemesis 09 in terms of complexity.

M: Thick body just short of feeling heavy. Carbonation is minimal.

D: This beer is a monster but I love it. This never made it to NY but a friend in PA gave me two bottles a year ago. Wish I would have grabbed more. An absolute joy.

4/5  rDev 0%

Been awhile since I reviewed. Do I even remember how? Anyway, this beer was bought at the 2009 Riserva release at the brewery.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Weyerbacher tulip a dark copper with major red tones to it. A thin, wispy head forms but quickly dissipates to just a collar.

SMELL: The aromas hit you as soon as you pour. Big time fruity aroma (cherries mostly) with some sherry-type oxidation beneath. I really can't over this fruit though. Pretty remarkable.

TASTE: A slight bit of fluffy wheat is hidden well by deeper, darker flavors. The fruit is strong here too, and it's backed up by an alcoholic warmth (the good kind). It finishes a bit empty which is disappointing. I'd prefer a bigger, fuller maltiness to round it out.

MOUTHFEEL: Dryer than expected. The carbonation was still strong too. Both those do lead to faster consumption, but unfortunately are not what I'd like from the style.

DRINKABILITY: Now here it excels. I'm nearly halfway through my glass already and don't plan on slowing down. It should make for a nice evening.

Damn, I wish I'd bought more of these. It's NOTHING like it tasted fresh (which wasn't particularly good) but I'm glad I took a chance on a bottle at the time.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Pours a dark mohogany. Some ruby red around the edges. A nice creamy tan head tops it off.

S: Dark fruits, rum and spice. Dark molasses and caramel.

T: So the taste is close to ghe original fourteen but there's an added twist. The dark malts at a definite coffee/chocolate characteristic. It's most noticeable on the finish. Lots of roasted qualities.

M: No complaints. Smooth and easy to drink. In fact it's crazy easy to drink for 12%. Almost scarey.

Overall: I can't believe the darker malts make this much of A difference. The roasted coffee and chocolate aNd smokiness really add to this. It's smooth and the alcohol is so unnoticable it couldbe a problem. Great beer. They should have made this one the focal release over the regular version.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Fourteen Special Dark from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.