TINY - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.80% ABV

Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010

ABV may vary. "Belgian Imperial Stout".
Reviews: 355 | Hads: 1,032
1.76/5  rDev -55.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Poured into darkness snifter.

Pours over 2 fingers of thick tan head. Color is black. Very good retention.

Aroma: Roasted malt, dark milk chocolate, dried cherries. Fairly muted. Smells like perfume.

Taste: Roasted malts, milk chocolate, and a sour cherry flavor. I don't know if this is infected or not. Some raisin and fig flavors.

Mouthfeel: Roasted and sour. Kind of creamy. Thinner bodied with tons of carbonation. Very fizzy. Ends very dry.

Overall, not good. Seems infected. Not drinkable. Flavors don't blend well. Drain pour.

1.89/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer was served in a pint glass. The beer started cold and finished with a bit of a chill.

Appearance: The body of the beer is black. The head has a dark brown coloration with a raspberry hue. The head quickly resolves to a thin film.

Smell: Dark roasted and charred malt. Sour coffee and cocoa via for dominance with alcohol.

Taste: Dark roasted coffee and cocoa ride a wave of soured fruit. The sour notes are unpleasant and undesirable regardless of how cold or warm the beer gets.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is anemic. It leaves a oily feel in my mouth. In short this beer just doesnt work well for me. The alcohol is hot and the flavors are just a soured mess. No thanks I will for sure pass this beer up on the shelf.

1.92/5  rDev -51%

Thanks for the extra!

Pours black with a slight, I don't know ... kind of purplish hint to the dark brown edging and foam.

Smells ... hmm... pungently sour with roasted malt. I went and looked at some reviews, and they also note sourness, so I guess it's a component of the beer.

Taste is over-the-top sourness for the style (in my opinion), along with some dark fruits, some strangely roasted/bracing malt, and .. you know what, I can't get past the rotting fruit sourness to this. It's as offputting as any flavor I can recall in a stout. Sourness and alcohol solvents is not a good combination for a beer.

Mouthfeel too thin for the style.

1.95/5  rDev -50.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Thanks to nickd717.

A: Pours a black (or at least very dark) body, with high-rising light tan foam. Good retention for the style, I'm guessing due to the Belgian yeast.

S: Dry, roasty, phenolic (spicy) aroma. Chocolate. A sourness in the nose, either a milk smell or some kind of fruit. Weird.

T: Very roasty and spicy, lending a sort of burnt flavor to the chocolate. Some anise or something in the finish. Very spicy. There's a fruity sourness I can't get past.

M: Solventy... Phenolic. It's dry for the style, with light-medium bodied presence.

D: Very unsatisfying beer. No one wanted to finish it, and most of it went down the drain. I'd give this a higher score on appearance, but a beer that I just don't care to finish cannot, by my rules, get above a D.

2.08/5  rDev -46.9%

Tiny, vintage unknown although I've owned this bottle for around a year

Served in DFH signature glass

A: Pours black with massive, rocky head that would look at home atop a golden ale. After the head crashes, some arcs of foam are left on the glass.

S: Molasses, earth, Belgian spiciness and alcohol constitute most of smell. Additional aromas include floral notes and anise.

T: Less malty sweetness and fewer roasted malt characteristics than I expected, and the anise/black licorice plays a larger role than it did on nose. Spicy and flowery. Acetone, light dried fruits and alcohol dominate much of taste--to the detriment of this beer.  Burnt malt and plastic make up finish.

M: Medium body and light carbonation. Anemic seems like an apt description. Boozy and dry.

O: Tiny seems like an imperial stout made on the cheap. I just read it cost $6 for a bottle, so my impression was correct. Skimps on malt bill and emphasizes alcohol. I'm disappointed with this beer and do not recommend it.

Thanks, discovolante65, for the opportunity.

2.33/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured into a tulip. Pours black with a nice forming creamy mocha colored head that sits three fingers high. Damn, this one has staying power too. It's going no where after quite a while in the glass. Looks great!

Smells like bananas. Must be the Abby yeast they use on this one but it seems off. Aside from that we've really only got char. I guess these aren't neccesarily bad smells, but I"m just not diggin' them in this one. After letting it warm up a bit slight chocolate notes come through, but it's just not enough. The flavor is kind of all over the place. Still get banans and I still get char but I get a little more of the roasted malt flavor one would hope to get from a big beer like this. This one is still more or less a hot charred somewhat fruity abomination.

Not a bad feel, creamy full and robust with soft carbonation. A bit hot here. Damn, this one looked ever so good. Unfortunatley I'm simply dissapointed. It seems like it has all the characteristics I would want from an imperial stout. It just doesn't seem like any of it is really well done.

2.46/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured from a 750

A - Pours almost black; thick looking - an abundance of carbonation. Letting the cork "pop" on this one is a bad idea...you'll lose about 1/4 of the bottle foaming out the top. Hold tightly onto the cork and try to let it hiss (like opening champagne - let it whisper). Big, frothy, mocha colored head with good retention and sticky lacing.

S - Aroma is malty and boozy - hints of caramel and coffee; a bit of cocoa nib

T&M - Feels like it may be overcarbonated; full bodied. Big and boozy, with an almost rubbing alcohol quality - it's really quite overpowering at first. If there was Belgian yeast used here it's lost behind the booze...I don't taste it. Once the alcohol subsides there is a good dose of malt, and a hint of bitterness. The typical subtleties of a "stout" seem lost here, and I'm more inclined to go with the descriptor of strong dark ale.

D - Eh...heavy and boozy; I've had more then one bottle of this, and have never had trouble finishing the entire thing, but there are certainly much more drinkable beers out there...certainly warming on a chilly night.

Notes: Living in PA, I nabbed a case of this. I'm probably on my eighth bottle for this review, and although my score won't seem to reflect it, it's actually improved over time. The first one I opened was damn near undrinkable. I have a few more, and I'm hopeful for the future on this one.

2.46/5  rDev -37.2%

Serving: 750ml bottle into an ale glass.

A: Pours a pretty solid black color, with an inch or so of head on it. A little more head than I'm used to compared to other imperial stouts. Head dissipated to about an eighth inch fairly fast.

S: With my defective nose I detect some dark chocolate notes, some raisin and other fruit. Not bad, though average IMHO.

T: Smoked dark malt with a sharp, astringent note to it up front. Alcohol is heavy and overpowers the flavor. Not well balanced at all.

M: Has a fairly thick mouthfeel which is good, but the huge alcohol burn, not so much.

O: Not impressed by this at all. The taste is rather harsh and the alcohol presence is way too much. I would not buy this again.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

Appearance- dark pitch black with no even a speck of light coming through this beer, tan head starts thick and foamy and quickly fades away to nearly nothing

smell- roasted malts and espresso and coffee notes really dominate this strong pungent nose, a very strong and powerful nose

taste- a taste of booze is certainly noticeable a quite a bit, the start and mid palate is a little weak on this beer but the finish is decently long lingering of espresso and roasted malts, slightly bitter hops on finish drying it up a bit, overall the boozeyness is maybe just a bit high and complexity bit low

mouthfeel- its a bit way to thin for the style and i felt over carbonated a bit at points and unfortunately just to hot on the back end of booze

Drinkablity- this beer really started out better then it wound up being, its just kinda missing something, its got to much boozey nature to it and they probably over did it a bit at 11.8, but whats strange is just how light this in the body, just really never finds a balance between being a belgian, a stout, and having some hops, just off balance and hot whack a bit to me,

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%

A: Pours a deep choclatey almost ashen with a full, frothy head. Not much lacing. The beer seems viscous, frothy and chewy.

S: A boozy rich nose with hints of vanilla bean, table sugar, dark roast coffee almost like espresso, lactic.

T/M: Taste doesn't follow the smell all that well, lost of flavors overlapping each other in the smell and the taste is a bit of a letdown. Although it's labeled as a "Belgian-style" double stout, I'm not getting much here that reaches out of a typical imperial stout. Lots of sugary, chewy mouthfeel. Coffee-like, milk chocolate notes in the finish, very, very boozy at nearly 12% abv.

D: I probably wouldn't buy this again, I'm not much of a double-stout guy anyway. And if I was looking for a Belgian-style, malt-forward beer I would look toward a Hell Hath No Fury or JP's Noel De Cabaza.

2.59/5  rDev -33.9%

I poured this alcoholic beverage into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was black as aces and poured no head whatsoever. It looked like tar sitting there in my glass. The smell was strong coffee and thats what it looked like. No Belgian taste which did not bother me at all but whew!!! What a alcohol hit. Way over the top burn. I could not even drink it like it was and had to cut it with a lager to get the expensive brew saved from the sink. I will not buy again.

2.72/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a dark viscous black in color with a one finger off white head. The head dissipates to a somewhat unattractive light lacing around my snifter. It smells of dark roasted malt, some dark fruit, and a heavy, chewy dark maltiness followed by a moderate amount of that 11.8% alcohol. It tastes of sugary sweet dark fruits and toffee influenced chocolates, not my cup of tea. It's just not my flavor for the style. For a stout, it's very dark fruit heavy. This beer is sweet, really sweet. It drinks heavy in body but the flavor diminishes other aspects. It's thick yet cloyingly sweet. Booo! This beer by itself isn't anything special. Barrel aging might make this more drinkable.

2.9/5  rDev -26%

A - Thinner looking black beer with a pale white billowy head. Head dissipates quickly but sticks around.

S - I get strong roastiness, with some dark fruit. Not getting the typical banana I get in belgians.

T - Roast hits first, maybe some chocolate. Didn't get the dark fruit that I smelled. Then it hits, sickly sweet candy sugar. Overpowering.

M - Whoa, this is one chewy thick beer. Makes sense, plenty of residual sugars coming through.

O - Not a fan of this one, the sweetness just killed this beer for me.

2.94/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Nice and Dark with decent head that lasts roughly 10 minutes after the power. Lots of bubbles upon pour that explains the high carbonation feel.

S - Not a whole lot going on. Im getting very little Carmel and chocolate notes. Smell / Aroma is almost not existent for me.

T - Immediately taste the carbonation and the action it tends to make on my tongue. Some nice dark and roasty notes. The Belgian backbone is apparent but seems to get shifted to the back burner on account of the carbonation and high abv. At 12 % this one should age fairly well so Id guess it would age nicely.

M - Its almost a bit too aggressive. I like the mouth feel in terms of viscosity but its a lot going on an account of the carbonation. Kinda annoying and leaves me with dry pallet.

2.96/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

2010 vintage from the cellar

A - jet black with dark mocha head, slight lacing

S - Belgian chocolate, some cherry, caramel, coffee

T - a bit sweet and definite Belgian yeast notes. Bitter coffee finish. Not super complex but decent

M - very hot still. Full bodied and great carb but man this thing burns

O - solid but unspectacular. Not as much Belgian character as I expected but I'm happy about that. I can't get over the heat though and dont plan on trying this again.

2.96/5  rDev -24.5%

750ml bottle dated 11-5-10. Poured into A Jackie O's snifter,at fridge temp.

A. Back as night body,only about a quarter in tan head that dissapates very quickly.No lacing.

S. Strong grapes,raisons and plums,after that comes the dark chocolate. A slight bit of roasted character in the back.Booze is detectable.

T. First I taste the dark fruits such as plum and fig,raison. Then I get a roasty coffee flavor and chocolate.I also get an off taste like some ash.A little bitterness hits in the end.

M. Mouth is nice and thick and heavy on the tounge.Bitter and a bit dry in the finish.

Overall not terrible I just don't see the flavors meshing very well. I might give this a try once more.

3.02/5  rDev -23%

reviewed from notes:

S: Light caramel roasted notes. Surprisingly subtle in the scent department.

T: Winy and dark. Hid the alcohol well, but still drank more like a wine than a stout. More of a patronizing flavor than the usual stout challenge.

M: Carbonation left quickly. Kind of felt like a triple thick milkshake from mcdonalds, ugg.

D: Lowest drinkability of many beers tried. Carbonation depletion rate contributed, but also just not much of an enthralling flavor

3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured into tulip glass.

A: thick black with a short lived fizzy head. No retention and no lacing.

S: nose feature dark fruits, dark chocolate, bubblegum, and a slightly metallic twinge on the end

T: chocolate and plum hit big in the front. Bubblegum and banana come through mid palate. The finish is hot and boozy with the metallic character showing up. The finish also has a drying quality.

Mf: nice big body, medium carbonation

O: some good and interesting flavors are there, but this beer ultimately fails in balance and drinkability. The abv is way too heavy handed.

3.07/5  rDev -21.7%

750ml bottle from Brawley's (charlotte) poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter.

A- Pours a dark, opaque black with one of the darkest heads I have ever seen. Leaves little to no lacing.

S- Smells of chocolate and a little bit of cherry and grape. Almost smells of a wine.

T- Tastes of chocolate and sour cherries up front. There is a decent roasted coffee in the aftertaste but I can't really get over the sour cherry flavor.

M- Smooth and chewy, very well carbonated. Full bodied

D- The alcohol is noticeable. Slight burn going down and it's very thick.

Not at all what I expected from this beer. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but I have had better.

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

What a let-down for me. I had really high hopes going into this beer. Pours a really nice opaque black-brown with nice cocoa head on it. Not a ton of lacing, but a good looking beer for sure. Nose is ok, with roasted malts and a bit of fruit making a play, but it is boozy as hell. I'm not one to complain about booziness normally but this beer is just tough. The flavor is dominated by alcohol which adds an almost apple-like character to the beer in addition to some roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee flavors. Belgian yeast is there, but not a major player. Again, everything is overshadowed by the booze. And I normally like booze! Very smooth, however, nice MF on it. Drinkability is absolutely shot on this one. I can slug down an Olde School, WWS, BCBCS, whatever with the best of 'em, so I'm not sure why I'm having a difficult time with this guy. Maybe just not my beer. Hm.

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

Pour erupts a massive head but seems to fizzle down very slowly. A fluffy chocolate colored head that looks quite amazing. The body is completely opaque. It sounds very carbonated as I hear the head crackling. It sounds as if Rice Crispies were to have wild sex with Pop Rocks! As it finally settles for about five minutes, the head becomes more smooth.

A potent smell of cherry, chocalate, coffee, toffee, oats and booze. It's so strong it tickles the inside of my nose!

Wow! I would like to say the alcohol is well hidden but it's not. It tastes like caramel, toffee, coffee, cherries and chocalate mixed with rubbing alcohol. The taste of alcohol really ruins the taste and is very dominate in the end. It's as if I took vodka and poured it into a regular stout. If I could get passed the alcohol taste, this would be a perfect stout, major points have to be subtracted.

It feels great in the mouth when I swish it around. Not as carbonated as I thought or heard. It has a medium to thick body to it but very smooth. While in the mouth the alcohol presence isn't that strong, it's when I swallow where it feels like I took a shot of vodka. It feels very warm going down.

Drink ability is going to have to be on the lower side. I'm about a quarter done with it and I feel a slight buzz creeping in. With a 11.8 ABV how much can you possibly drink until you hit the floor? It comes in a one pint 9.4 ounces bottle.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed, really thought this was going to be an awesome tasting Imperial Stout. Oh well... Can't win 'em all. If you want a really nice buzz, drink the whole damn bottle! If there is a beer to put me on MY ASS, this is it!

3.09/5  rDev -21.2%

I split this with a buddy of mine from work over at his house who likes nothing but stouts... that's it! Thanks for picking this up Mike!

A: Dark, dark, abysmally black, with really no head to speak of. I mean... really... that thing looked like nothing but prune juice.

S: Speaking of prunes, I got quite a bit of that on the nose. This was definitely not a coffee or chocolate stout. It was of the candied fruit variety.

T: Same as the nose, only more intense. Very dry on the finish. Dunno.... the fruit in there tasted kind of rotten to me. It was almost like it had been whiddled around in a garbage can and the the kettle.

M: Thick enough, carbonated enough for the style, and boozy as hell.

O: I had had this one once before but didn't remember it. Not horrible, but definitely not one I would seek out.

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

A- Tiny pours dark black with a thick foamy tan head. Lacing is pretty much nonexistent.

S- The nose showcases chocolate, cream, dark fruit, and bready vanilla.

T- Bitter chocolate, dark roasted malts, and smoke are up front, with espresso, brown sugar, and booze on the finish. This is a very boozy brew. Bitter dark chocolate, peat, and dark roasted malts with a touch of oaky vanilla linger on the palate. Sweetness and cream open up as the beer warms. Don't drink this right out of the refrigerator. Let it warm a little to take the bitter edge off with some vital sweetness.

M- This beer is downright heavy with little carbonation.

Overall, I wish this beer was a little less earthy and smokey. The strong alcohol also makes this stuff tough. I like a beer with complexity- marrying sweet notes with cereal ones, while masking the high alcohol. Don't get me wrong: a little booze makes me feel more like a man for drinking it. But, this beer is all alcohol, burntness, and leather. It really only starts to get nice once it warms up. My advice: drink this warm- or drink something else.

3.11/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a one finger dark brown head over a black liquid. Smells earthy yeasty with strong pear, fig, chocolate, and a little bit of spicy zip mixed with mild alcohol. Dried fall oak leaves.

Tastes earthy yeast, nutmeg, clove, cocoa chocolate, and mild clean alcohol. Pear and fig esters. It has a drying astringency I'm not fond of, but which can commonly be found in beers fermented with Belgian yeasts. No flavor overly dominant, though chocolate and the astringency is strongest. Md body and modest carbonation. Overall...meh.

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep black color with no light escaping and a one and a half to two finger dark khaki almost brown color. The head gives way to a slight skim and leaves fingers of lace on the glass. The aroma is of beligain yeasy sweetness followed by dark fruits and dark chocolate then a decent alchol bite. The taste is a little different with a big roasted malt backbone and chocoalte and coffee working there way in. The dark fruits and belgian yeast sweetness are more subdued in the taste then the aroma. In the middle to the end though a big harsh alochol burn is present. It is reduced as the bottle sits. It seemed just a little out of blance. The mouthfeel is slick and full bodied. Overall itt was okay, the alcohol was just a little too out of balance for me.

TINY from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.