Verboten - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

VerbotenVerboten

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.90% ABV

Formerly Zotten, but taken off the market in Feb 2010 in a copyright infringement agreement between Weyerbacher and Bierbrouwerij De Halve Maan.

(Beer added by: dborginis on 05-20-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Verboten Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

A - Golden color

S - Earthy musky smell

T - Wow a lot of different tones here earthy, wheat and raisons maybe.

M - foamy light crisp tate

D - Don't know if I would drink a lot of these but a nice representation of style.

This is light beer that is a nice representation of the style that it is creating. I liked this beer but it did not blow me away.

Casey10, Jul 11, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared with beerloco.

Appearance: orange amber with pale honey folds. A nice white 2 finger head with some retention and lacing.

Smell: Some bubblegum and banana phenols with a spicy yeast and pale malt.

Taste: Loads of delicious bubblegum and banana notes...is this a pale ale or a wheat beer!!! Nice belgian yeast with some spicyness to it. Earthy yet a touch sweet.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a nice amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Tasty and only 6% abv

I was pleasantly surprised by this one and will try it again sometime.

koopa, Jul 09, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

I picked this up at Thirsty's in East York, PA.
Poured chilled into a goblet.

A - Dark honey amber w/ a pale 2 finger cap w/ a fine bead. Subtle lacing and a film remains when the head settles.

S - Slightly phenolic aroma w/ spice and fruit notes in equal measure w/ a Belgian yeast nose that has slight banana esters

M - Mild spiciness w/ mild carbonation and slightly bitter feel w/ a dry finish

T - A mild hop is nestled under a spiced yeast flavor w/ mild tropical fruit note from the yeast w/ a gentle sweet flavor from the malt. A light biscuit influcence is tasted toward the end

D - A good belgian pale, but a flavor that didn't wow me. I wish it had mor malt & hops than yeast. The drinkability was average to me, I would try it again if I saw it on tap.

Slatetank, Jul 09, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

This poured a hazy copper color with fluffy light tan head. It smelled like fresh wheat and wild yeast and lemon hops, with candi sugar and salty cloves and earthy caramel. It tasted like sour lemon and wild yeast, with copper and caramel and fresh wheat, along with a bit of coriander and clove. It was fairly thin with moderate carbonation, and had a mild sour aftertaste. Overall this had a nice clean taste that started out a bit overly sour, but became richer and smoother as it warmed. It had a nice balance of spices, and decent body, so it was easy to drink. It seems like not many Belgian ales are offered for under 7% ABV anymore, but this one is a solid option.

Pencible, Jul 08, 2009

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear amber color with a small tan head that maintains. Nice lacing on the glass.

Sweet bready aroma packed with herbal hops.

Very slightly sweet malty and bready flavor upfront. Leads into a bold amount of herbal hops with medium botterness. Finishes fairly clean with a slight lingering bitterness. Tastes very fresh.

Medium body, well carbonated.

Quite a nice Belgian pale ale. Done well to style and certainly quenched my thirst for just such a beer.

MaltyGoodness, Jul 08, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

picked up a single bottle 2 weeks back to try it out....finally got around to drinking it today

copper/orange hue...cloudy body....thick white head...a little yeast floating around but it is a bottle conditioned beer so i expected some....nice strong presence of Belgian lacing down the glass

floral hops with some citrus scents also...a touch of spiced yeast...fresh baked bread/biscuit

Belgian funk...sweet bread....finishes with a mild earthy and pleasant floral hop

very smooth carbonation bubbles that tickle the tongue a bit ...nice balance of hops and malt overall over the palate...medium bodied...slight traces of yeast spice and bitter hops on the palate

glad i had a chance to give this one a shot...nothing like investing in a 4 or 6 pack of beer to find out you don't like it...i'll be sure to pick up a 4 pack of this on my next trip to the liquor store....always a plus to find a local made beer that is worth coming back too

SPRichard, Jul 03, 2009

Snatched up a 4-pack of Zotten for $7.49 at Bullock's in Marietta, Georgia. I've typically enjoyed most of the Weyerbacher product I've had, so hopefully this'll hit a home run for me even if I'm not a sick, sick child dying in the hospital.

Appearance: Pours out a dark, orange-amber body with a frothy, though somewhat short-lived, bone white head.

Smell: Pale malts and light, crisp wheat malt brushed with a light, sweetish caramel sauce. Boldly spicy, zesty scent of fresh-ground pepper along with notes of Dubble Bubble bubblegum and citrus with some pine awakening upon warming.

Taste: Pale malts and wheat coming across as a taste of particularly grainy whole wheat (but wholesome) bread. Light touch of sweet caramel glaze. Already there's a zip of peppery spiciness and flavor of bubblegum. Lesser hint of banana. Pinch of Florida orange citrus pith and a few drop of pine resin with a medium-plus amount of hop bitterness. A bit of watercress late in the taste. Dry, earthy, spicy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Why, that's generally likable! Plenty of flavors and complexity to keep me fairly well-entertained, but, thankfully, it's easy-going on the overall ABV. I do look forward the three remaining bottles!

ChainGangGuy, Jul 03, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into an oversized wine glass. A bit darker than I expected as it was amber in tint with a thick head that disappeared quickly.

It smells very earthy, but still has that bubblegummy sweetness in the nose as well. Also a touch of hop spice.

I think i was hoping for a bit more sourness, but this was a good effort. It is earthy and and full of esters. The mouth feel is pretty consistant with th style but it isn't going to replace any imports in this style. Also, there is a bit of a soapiness which was a bit off putting.

mikey711, Jun 30, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into tulip glass:

Pours golden amber with a thin white head that slowly becomes a patch. Some lacing sticks. Nice color, but doesn't have the head retention or lacing that I would expect.

THe smell is of a sweet fruitiness and grainy with some yeasty notes. Slight tart notes are mixed in from the fruitiness.

The taste is sweet and fruity - hint of bubblegum - that quickly turns to a dry, herbal finish.

It it light-bodied. A few more effervescent bubbles would make it more lively, IMO.

This is sweet and fruity/grainy turning (almost too quickly) to herbal (aspirin-y) dry. It has a certain character that gives it the "American attempt at Belgian". It's fine, for that.

jwc215, Jun 29, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer caught me off-guard in how good it was. A pleasant mix of Brett funk and hops. Brett on the nose.

The taste is well constructed. Brett up-front. And then a pleasant and non-overwhelming hops bitterness at the end.

I highly recommend this, especially for any Orval fans out there.

GeoffFromSJ, Jun 29, 2009

Appears a beautifully clouded copper orange hue with a thick chunky doughnut like cream tinted white head, has some yeast specks floating on board. Lacing is perfect fine Belgian style lacing evenly strong around my glass.

Aromatics offer up floral hops with citrus components joining in, mildly spiced yeast notes with fresh baked bread in the biscuit malt department. Very soothing and delicious smelling brew from Weyerbacher.

A superb blend of flavors collide with cookie dough like malt and sweet bread layers with yeast spicing the party up a bit. Finishing with mildly earthy, pungently citric, and pleasantly floral hop additions. A bit of undeniable Belgian funk going down brings it all together. A perfect blend of spiced bready hoppy ale sits in my glass very well done the most finesse to come of Dan Weirback in some time.

Mouthfeel is so smooth carbonation bubbles to tickle a bit but overall the balance of malt and hops streaks so nicely across the palate, quite the interesting medium bodied Belgian style pale. Leaves traces of yeast spice and bittering hops on the palate, and hop burps will follow and tickle the nose.

Drinkability overall kicks ass one of those OMFG beers that inspires me to try as many beers as I can. A case of this is in my near future I have to sit on these and watch them evolve, the best American brewed belgian style pale to cross my palate reminiscent but by no means a copycat of Orval Trappist.

WVbeergeek, Jun 27, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

I haven't had a lot of Belgain Pale Ales. I think the last one I had was Leffe Blonde, which I hated. Lets see if Weyerbacher can cange my perception of the style:

A: Pours a nice golden straw color. Head is a bright white color, but dissipates rather quickly. Lacing is very minimal.

S: Lots of Belgian yeast. Some fruityness. I also get a touch of hops.

T: Pretty solid Belgian Pale Ale. First thing you get is the Belgian yeast. There is also some spice in there. Then there is a almost melon-like fruityness. The finish is grassy hops. Not bad.

M: Medium to light bodied. Pretty carbonated mouthfeel. Very smooth.

D: Decent flavors and mouthfeel. However, I think this is a one and done type of beer. Drinks easily, but not something I could drink a lot of.

I was pleasantly surprised with this one. The Belgian character is there, but there is also a unique fruit and hop character that adds to the complexity and enjoyment of the beer. Definetly worth a shot, even if you are not a Belgian Ale fan. Recommended.

OldSchoolGamer, Jun 25, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +9%

a - Somewhat hazy orange body sits below a generous film that developed after an initial 2 finger fluffly white head.

s - Spicy Belgian yeast, way more up front than I was expecting, then again I don't know what exactly I was expecting. Inviting and sweet, missing the hops I was expecting but I assume that will come in the taste.

t - Delicate hops flavor overshadowed by spicy Belgian yeasties. I was expecting a hop bomb from Weyerbacher but this is not it. That being said, this is a tasty brew. Sweet but not overdone, finishes clean and dry but the complex yeast flavors linger for a while.

m/d - Nice and light though still a bit sweet like it's big Belgian Triple brothers. Much more refreshing but I'm still wary, I'm used to this taste having a sneaky alcohol punch to it in the end. Really drinkable, complex and a fun style I have not had much experience with.

magnj, Jun 24, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Dark clear golden hue with a lovely white, fluffy head with almost no lacing.
This brew does not have strong smells, but there are some light fruity Belgian fruity sents with rather strong smell of of alcohol.

First taste is a generic American Belgian flavor with spicy pepper and bitterness (a bit much too) to follow. A wonderful Bready flavor follows the spice. Oddly the alcohol flavors are well controled.

Medium body with some nice effervecance which highlights the pepperiness.

I like the breadyness of this beer.

NiceGuyMike, Jun 20, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Not a pro with belgian pale ales, but i like this a lot. If you've had Quad by Weyerbacher (which I love), this tastes like a "Quad Light". I will buy this again, and paid $7.75 for a 4pk at Jonathon Ron in Brielle, NJ. Another quality beer by Weyerbacher!

fav920, Jun 20, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

Had this on draft at the Devils Den.

appearance: nice golden color, very fresh

aroma: belgian yeast, fruity sweetness

taste: overly sweet, seems like it should be dryer. sweet belgian taste dominates..I do note hops too but they aren't bitter enough to cut the sweetness for me. kind of banana in the finish which turns me off.

mouthfeel is alright, except the banana taste!

drinkability: no, I'll pass. too sweet for me.

roan22, Jun 19, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a copper-amber color with foamy off-white head. I was expecting it to be cloudier for some reason, nice head, though. Aroma is bready, citrusy with lemon zest and orange peel, a bit yeasty and certainly tons of banana and clove. So kind of typical. for your spiceir belgian pales.. Taste is pretty much same as aromas, yeasty, spicery with black pepper, etc. I would like it a bit sweeter. Mouth is moderate, fairly spicey with a peppery aftertaste/feel in the back of the throat. Overall its lighter in body and sessionable in that sense. The flavor is a bit off, though, and the spice is a bit much. I would enjoy it more with a bit more sweetness.

BirdFlu, Jun 19, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a cloudy yellow with pale white fizzy head.

Smell is very yeasty and grainy. Some citrus and hops and a touch of floral.

Taste is the same. Lot's and lot's of yeasty sweetness. A touch of grapefruit and a slight hoppy finish.

Thin mouthfeel. Not overly carbonated. Easy to drink.
The thing that gets me about this ine is that it's a session beer that comes in a 4-pack. Good summer brew though.

Probably not one i will try again. Not that theres anything wrong with it. This just isn't my favorite style.

BigMike, Jun 19, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with thin foam white head that quickly settles into thin ring that leaves minimal lacing. Crisp light fruit aroma with subtle hops and apple, pear and citrus notes. There's also some nice citrus/lemon zest and peppery spice in the nose. Earthy hop flavor balances out light crisp fruit notes. Hints of apple, citrus peel, lemon zest and other peppery spices. Medium bodied that is smooth and easy drinking with a slightly tart, dry finish.

corby112, Jun 18, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle poured in a tulip

A rather deep orange body with a good amount of clarity and visible carbonation. A thick, slightly off-white cap rises and falls quickly. A small amount of sticky lace is left on the glass.

A hearty Belgian yeast aroma, ripe fruits, with an herbal, medicinal hop profile and a solid bready malt. Raisins and bananas are the primary fruit.

An astringent, medicinal hop profile really cuts through all of the other flavors and took me a sip or two to adjust. A signature Belgian yeast flavor of banana and an adequate amount of spice blend in with the aforementioned astringent hops and orange rind. The finish is a strong, bready malt flavor, think raisin bread.

A very creamy mouthfeel. Medium bodied with near perfect carbonation. They nearly nailed this one. Finish is dry and bready with just a touch of bitterness.

A pretty sessionable offering, easily drinkable. Would like to see it in six packs rather than four packs. A solid addition to the weyerbacher lineup. I will definitely be buying this again.

ColForbinBC, Jun 12, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

A - a cloudy, medium amber color with a small 1/2 finger white head that lasts.

S - hint of perfume, citrus, and spice

A - a strong flavor of banana and pear balanced with citrus and a clove like spice. A long-hanging aftertaste

M - Smooth and creamy

D - Goes down nicely.

drcarver, Jun 11, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

On tap at the Bear Creek Grille in Macungie. I'm a Weyerbacher fan, I admire and them and usually love their big beers.

Comes to the table in a frosty pint glass, almost a reddish color with not much of a head, probably lost in the trip to the table. i like the color, it's a "light foxy red".

Smells good, interesting, yeasty, bready, hoppy, complex. Taste is not what I expect - there is a very unusual, but I wouldn't say bad, kind of 'zing' thru-out, my guess is it's the yeast. Beer finishes dry with a little hop smack at the end like an afterthought. The yeasty taste lingers on the palate and to my dismay does not compliment the beer cheese dip and beer bread.

I'm kinda on the fence about this one, I'd like to give it another chance sometime. Maybe having one that's been bottled in a month might mellow out that oddish tase.

vikingloki, Jun 11, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

A hazy, pale, golden body with about one and a half fingers of off white head that sticks around for awhile, but doesn't really leave any lacing behind.

The nose is fruity and a little spicy.

There is a nice fruit flavor in there that I cannot really pinpoint as a single fruit: just take my word for it that it is fruit. Next there is a slight peppert flavor, and maybe a touch of ansie-like flavor. There is just a touch of bready flavors from the malt. Mostly a yeast driven beer, and pretty good.

Mouthfeel is appropriately thick and full.

Pretty drinkable beer. I think I saw some cases for less than 40 bucks; I might go pick one up.

Hojaminbag, Jun 10, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

On-tap for $5 a pint at Liberty St. Tavern in Allentown. Appeared a hazy amber with a short head. This is an interesting beer, but I get some awful off aromas that really kill it for me. Still there's a relatively big, hoppy flavor with citrus and mild pine, while the aroma hits me with dirt and cleaning solvent - not cool. This beer needs some work, but it's not a good beer yet.

tempest, Jun 10, 2009

An aggressive pour resulted in two fingers of rose-shaded head with good retention. Nose had a slightly perfumey accent, kind of reminiscent of Juicyfruit gum, definitely yeast-driven in its origin. The color was a hugely hazy deep-amber. The mouthfeel was full, thick, and bubbly with a very sweet bubble gum (think generic pink or Juicyfruit) flavor on the tongue. The finish lingered with that same bubble gum flavor. At 6% ABV and with its realtive lack of banana esters, I really see this as an alternative to Hefeweizen, which I dislike.

woodychandler, Jun 10, 2009
Verboten from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.