Fifteen - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

FifteenFifteen

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.80% ABV

Beer added by: elgiacomo on 06-15-2010

Ratings: 356 | Reviews: 229
1.68/5  rDev -58.4%

Current review on 23OCT12
Pours black with just a slight rim of mocha. Smells of smoke, some leather and more smoke - campfire smoke. Flavor is liquid smoke really not much else going on there - like sucking the dick end of a cigarette. Sad flavor. Medium, smooth body with low, but sharp carb. Not a good beer. Just because you make a smoked beer does not mean the beer should taste exclusively of smoke.
2/1.5/1.5/3/1.5

Original review 07DEC11
A: black, a little quilt of dark mocha foam falls to a web on the surface. No lace. Opaque.
S: Smoke, leather, molasses and anise. Some notes of bitter cocoa.
T: Fairly smoky with some dry dark malts. Actually, as I drink this, the more smoky it tastes.
M: Medium bodied with moderate carb. Near dry finish.
O: Maybe dumping this in with a crock pot of lil smokies and barbeque sauce this would have been great. As it stands, meh. Overly smoky.
2/3.5/3/3/3/3.05

Pours pitch black and completely opaque with a one finger mocha colored head that quickly fades into a thin lasting ring Minimal spots of lacing.

Smokey chocolate malt aroma with lots of charcoal, bbq, campfire and butane notes but this is toned down slightly by the sweet rye notes and silky chocolate character.

Full bodied with a very roasty malt profile as well as a ton of alcohol heat and subtle smokiness. This beer is kind of a mess really. Way to hot with a burning warmth in the finish. It tastes more burnt than smokey really with hints of deeply roasted malt, coffee/espresso bean and toast. Extremely acrid and burnt tasting overtaking all of the chocolate notes and complexity that it has to offer. I don't know what's more disappointing, that this is a completely sweet booze bomb or that it's not really smokey. would avoid drinking this until it has mellowed out a bit. I say give it about five years in the cellar.

2.24/5  rDev -44.6%

I think I strayed too far ... into beer I am unable to appreciate. I like strong, bold beer but this one is over the top. I was expecting to taste a hint of smoke but instead feel like I just licked a campfire log. The smokey taste masks any other flavor the beer might have to offer.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

Thanks to both Mikey and Brandon for sending me bottles of this.

A: The pour is a semi-viscous black color with a sturdy tan head.

S: The nose is certainly full of smoke along with roasted malts and chocolate. The smoke gives off hints of meatiness and there is a fair amount of alcohol as well (seems to be a trend with some of these Weyerbacher anniversary beers).

T: Upon tasting this beer, I couldn't help but think: smoked salmon. Slightly salty, meaty, and a bit of a sea/fishy flavor that you might notice on a piece of smoked salmon.

M: The body is medium and sort of chalky/astringent with a low carbonation.

D: I like smoked salmon, but not in liquid form. It seems like way too many breweries overdo the smoked malts in a smoked beer. Subtlety helps, especially with such a powerful flavor.

2.8/5  rDev -30.7%

Aroma is fairly muted compared to my expectations. There is a bit of smoke, not too much, which is good, typical dark roasted grains, no hop character obv.

The taste is not how I was expecting. I was hoping for a quality stout with a hint of smoke and instead I am smacked in the face with a slab of smoked ham. I just cannot dig a beer that is this smoky; not appealing.

By far my least favorite anniversary beer from Weyerbacher. 13 was amazing, 14 was good, this is poor...

2.97/5  rDev -26.5%

A -
pours very thick like oil black as can be thick brown head stays a while then fades to lacing which makes a decent presence

S -
huge smokey smell right up front literally smacks you in the face reminds me of smoked salmon with out the fishiness and some dark chocolate on th ebackend

T -
again right up front up the smoke flavor and continues almost through the test but middle on back you get some really dark chocolate and coffee and on the backend an alcohol burn

M -
is actually really nice and thick heavy but smooth however it leaves a fleminess in the mouth

D -
impressive how smokey it is but it reminds me of chocolate covered lox

3.06/5  rDev -24.3%

Pured pitch black into my tulip. Gave a nice 2+ fingers of head that left behind a good bit of lacing. Smell was what I expected. Nice chocolate aroma upfront w/ a smokey burnt charcoal punch to the face bringing up the rear. Taste was much the same but w/ less chocolate and more charcoal. Mouthfeel was smooth and slick. The drinkability was good. I definitely wouldn't have guess its 10.8%. All in all this wasn't a bad beer. Its just not mt thing. I probably wouldn't recommend it to a friend but I have 3 left that I'm going to cellar for awhile so maybe that'll change.

3.17/5  rDev -21.5%

Light head; dark beige color. Near black color--no light shines through.

Dark chocolate, milk and a touch of coffee make up the aroma of this brew.

Spicy and bitter flavors--very complex. There's burnt malt flavor and some powerful hop, particularly in the swallow. Alcohol is notable in swallow as well. Predictably good body and carbonation. One negative: strong band-aid tastes of chlorophenol; shows up in the aftertaste. This turns out to be a fatal flaw.

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

A - Black beer with a tan head that let pretty much nothing on the sides.

S - Very smoked with roasted malts and some chocolate. Decent amount of alcohol here. Chocolate, coffee, a little bit of toffee.

T - Really smoked, with some unsweeteend chocolate, coffee, roasted malts. Smoke is pretty dominant here, but it's not a bad thing.

M - Medium bodied, needs to be a little fuller, with low carbonation.

O - Kind of a one trick pony here, with a little more soke than is necessary. Not something I'd really have again.

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

12 oz. bottle into glass snifter.
45°F

$3.00 / ea.

A: Opaque black body topped with a small deep brown head that quickly dissipates leaving no lace and only a small ring of cover.

S: The combination of smoke and deep roasted malt initially hits me as banana! The smoke is very subtle, and compliments the malt perfectly. Tends toward coffee with very little noticeable hop aroma.

T: Just a moment of initial sweetness before the roast kicks in and then back to slightly sweet in the middle. The smoke drifts in and out along with hints of soothing alcohol. The back end is a coffee bitterness almost void of hop character.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. A bit abrupt in that it lacks the typical rounded smoothness of a Russian Imperial Stout.

D: One is plenty, as is generally the case with such an imposing style. Share a bottle with a friend and savor the experience, but don't sit down with a six pack or you are bound to regret it.

O: Worth trying, but a middle of the pack example of the style.

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Dark black with a mocha colored head which pours somewhat small but leaves good webbing.

S: Some smoke and chocolate followed by a bit of pepper. Very roasty for sure.

T: A little bit of a let down. there is some smokiness but it gets overshadowed by almost a belgian like esther that tastes a bit like bananas. there is some chocolate present but really this banana quality is most present

M: Some heat and a touch of chalkiness and harshness.

D: Again this is a let down. maybe some aging is the best thing for this

3.37/5  rDev -16.6%

Got this from G311 in a recent trade. Cheers!

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours out black and thick, yielding a small, medium looking, mocha colored head that fades quickly to a slight wisp and ring. Pitch black in the glass with no carbonation evident. A slight ring remains but leaves no lacing down the glass. Very dark and black body, but an average-at-best head.

SMELL: Good, bold nose. Very roasted with dark chocolate and lots of smoky notes. Slight coffee or burnt espresso beans in there, but very smoky with hints of smoked salami even. Bold nose and well done.

TASTE: Doesn’t live up to the nose, unfortunately. Roasted malts, touches of sweetness through the middle, as well as some smoky notes in there. Dark chocolate and bitter, hoppy notes at the finish. A mild yet lingering aftertaste is roasted and smoky, with some bitter chocolate and lingering alcohol.

PALATE: Medium body and medium, prickly carbonation. Slightly creamy on the palate, goes down smooth with a bit of heat at the swallow and finishes slightly dry o n the palate. Not quite as creamy as it could be, but alright.

OVERALL: Pretty decent brew, but nothing special or memorable really. Unfortunately the taste didn’t live up to the enticing nose. That said, this was definitely more enjoyable than their Old Heathen, so if that’s a good thing. Glad to have been able to try this one, but wouldn’t need to have it again. Thanks for the opportunity G311.

3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

12oz bottle, courtesy of eyeenjoybeer (thanks, Michael!), into a snifter.

A - Pours a deep brown with auburn edges, and sports about a finger or so of tan-colored head. Decent retention, but not much lacing on the glass.

S - Roast, a bit of brown sugar sweetness, maybe some hint of espresso. All of it backed up by a note that reminds me solidly of liquid smoke, but not when you use it to cook, but more like when you open the bottle and get a good whiff.

T - There's a candy sweetness to it on the initial taste, along with a lactate flavor that almost makes me think it's a milk stout. The smoke surrounds all of it, but it's more subtle on the tongue that in the nose, and has an earthy quality. A slight alcohol burn at the end that makes me wonder if I shouldn't have let this sit for a few more months.

M - Carbonation is nice enough, and the body is full. Long finish, and slightly drying.

O - This was a nice one to try. I enjoyed it, but I doubt I'd want to go through more than one of these in a sitting. The obvious comparison (for me) was to Alaskan Smoked Porter... this one fell a little short.

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into tulip. from notes

A - Pours a dark brown with lighter brown edging. Decent medium brown head with some retention.

S - Roast coffee, some dark fruits, minor chocolate, and smoke!

T - Very smoky, not great but not that bad. Considering the strong presence that smoke imparts in beer, it is pretty well integrated. I pick up some woodiness and pine in the back as well as some molasses.

M - Thin, again (I find this consistent with all Weyerbacher stuff). Medium body and easy to drink.

O - I like the smoke to a point before it takes over. The other flavours are there just not too strong. Decent beer.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle from ScoobyDank, thanks man!
pours thick black coffee color, with a tiny bit of a head, looks nice!
on the nose we have some chocolate, coffee, the sweetness that goes along with the Imperial Stout style, and a bit of smoke, not too much, which is good, the overly powerful smoke flavor turns me off.
Taste, whoa, on the front tastes like smoked ham. Right on the tip, the first thing that hits you. not appealing. As it rolls back through the tongue, I get a lot of ash and a hint of sweet, some coffee in there also. no chocolate, which I think would have made this excellent. Aftertaste is not good, it sits at the back of my throat and makes it seem like I have been sitting around a campfire all night. The nose is very deceiving in that aspect.
Mouthfeel is pretty good, carbonation is right in line where you would want this, and holy crap, just noticed the abv on this!! VERY well hidden amongst the ash and smoked ham.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

I have a deep and abiding love for this brewery, and more than any other, I seek them out (probably due to my longing for these beers back in the late '90s, whenever I would read about them in Ale Street News--way before trading).

Poured a deep, opaque black color, with a nice mocha head. Aromas of smoke, roasted malt and baker's chocolate. On the palate, this one is creamy and slick, with more smoke, roasted malt and chocolate.

3.48/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle. Pours a very black color with a dark tan head. Smokey aroma but not as smokey as I would have expected along with some tobacco and leather notes. The taste is pretty smooth with the smoke being the underlying flavor but you also get some nice dark malts taste along with coffee, vanilla, and leather. Medium mouthfeel, but I wish it was a little heavier. Overall, not bad. Never realized is was 10% abv, so the alcohol notes were well hidden.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

Reviewed from notes.

A- Black as can be. Dark tan head is small and has low-end retention. Finely bubbled lace in small amounts.

S- Roast caramel malt up front with a tiny bit of smokiness. Licorice.

T- Reminds me of Storm King in a way. More hops here than I was expecting as well. Big cocoa roast malt with small smoke and some raisins (somewhat medicinal). Caramel as well.

MF- Nice and thick with moderate carbonation. Good creamy feel to it as well. Some warmth and bitterness round it out.

DB- The hops and dark fruit come in unexpectedly. Not really what I expected and left me somewhat disappointed. Still a pretty good stout.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this into a perfect pint glass, it has a jet black body with a 1"mocha brown head that slowly lays down to a thin lace around the body. The smell is of roasted malts and a hint of burnt fruits. The taste is of chocolate, and is nice and smokey. I smelled the fruits but don't taste them. This has a heavy mouth feel and is drinkable if you like dark beers.

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured thick black, no head despite a tall pour.

Has a mild bacon aroma. Fruity and sweet but dark like a port. Very light malty and coffee undertones.

The taste is full of lots of coffee bitterness, roasty, hop bitterness, and very boozy. There's a dry smokiness that's not too strong at first when the beer is cold. Like a RIS there are some burnt toast and carbon notes. As this warms the smoke flavor permeates throughout the smell and the flavor. It leaves a sticky aftertaste in the mouth as well. The smoke nears overpowering at times, and lends the flavor/aroma of smoked meat - much like a greasy salami or Hickory Farms smoked sausage. Unpleasant at times, the oily, fatty meat flavors are strange and powerful.

There are some carbonation bubbles, but not many. Thick and dry, this beer clings to the palate.

My original notes (before I was even halfway through the beer) said "two would be a stretch, but not unwelcome." Now, after finishing the beer over the course of a couple hours, I can say that one is more than enough for me. As interesting as this beer can get, it's going to be quite a while before I drink the other three I have...

3.57/5  rDev -11.6%

12oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

A - Pours a dark brown, nearly flat black color. It sort of looks like ink when it finally settles in the glass with a bit of brownish hues in it. It only seems to muster up a half finger of head, which is khaki in color, and as such, it dissipates fairly quickly. There's some moderate lacing here, but not a whole lot.

S - I've had some smoked beers that are almost pinpoint imitations of barbecue, while others offer a more woody, campfire note. I prefer the latter, and thankfully Fifteen fits in with this fairly well. At first, the smoke is actually hidden behind a heavy dose of malts which start the beer off sweet with chocolate and espresso. The smoke comes in shortly after that, relatively tame and bringing notes of char, burnt wood, and stale campfire.

T - I'm going to be honest, at first I didn't really enjoy this beer. I had a similar reaction with my previous smoked beer, Left Hand's Fade to Black Vol. II; I don't know if my palate just needs some time to acclimate to the smokiness, but as I drink it I found myself enjoying it more. The smoke comes in sooner than in the nose, greeting the coffee and cacao at the start rather than meeting them halfway through. This gives an additional facet to those flavors which is interesting and enjoyable. The chocolate is fairly bitter here, a feeling that lasts into the finish and lends to the smoke. The end has a little bit of hops to it, in that I can get some faint traces of orange.

M - Given the look, ABV, and relatively bold flavors of this beer, I was expecting a thick, syrupy stout. Unfortunately, what I am greeted with instead is actually fairly thin and watery feeling. It doesn't really suit the characteristics of this beer well. If the mouthfeel could be beefed-up to support the flavors of this beer, I could see it improving that much more. Lasting feelings in the mouth are chocolate, smoke, and some bitterness.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. For me, it took some time to get into the swing of this beer, but by the end I was enjoying each sip. I still don't think I can say I love smoked beers, but this is a big step in that direction.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

A-Pours black with a one finger coffee colored head that has good retention leaving just a few wisps of lace.

S-Smoke is the first thing I notice followed by some charred malt, hints of coffee and dark fruit. The smoke detracts from the other elements by overshadowing them.

T-Smoke leads here too. Followed by hints of chocolate, coffee, dark fruit and rich malt. Once again, the smoke overdoes it. The underlying flavors are rich and enjoyable but they get overwhelmed by the smoke.

M-Full bodied, creamy, light carbonation. Coats the palate.

O-This beer would be much more enjoyable if they'd tone down the smoke. Otherwise, the other aspects of this beer were well done.

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Pours "stout black"...impressive khaki head. Bubbles still creeping up the sides of the glass long after the pour, maintaining a healthy ring.

S: Smoke and smoke. Smoked chocolate, smoked meat, smoked malts, smoked....stuff. Sugary milk chocolate sweetness lurks under these smoked layers. Only a hint of alcohol is apparent.

T: Initial flavor, big smoke. Creamy bittersweet bakers chocolate and coffee round out a huge lingering flavor profile....leading into an assertive bitterness and the return of the smoke. Slightly boozy and astringent in the finish. Residual sweetness increases sharply as the glass warms.

M: Excellent balance of carbonation and creaminess.

D: Sort of a one trick pony with the smoke and sweetness, gets a little tiring. Big flavors mask the 11% ABV quite nicely (not completely), but another 12oz would be a quick reminder.

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

Thank you very much to two fine traders, beerisheaven & msulinski, for a few bottles of this brew. Big fan of Weyerbacher & love everything in the anniversary series from Twelve on, so have been waiting eagerly to put one of these down. Which is right now.

Pour is like a moonless night in a tent on Moose Lake, nothing more, nothing less. Smoke is mingled with Rockefeller-rich malts. The raw Porkey Pig strengthens as it warms.

Fifteen. The smoke jumps out front, & it's a clean, woody smoke, vs. the bacon-beer that isn't quite as appealing. Behind the veil of smoke is rich, dark malts, slathered with brown sugar. Coffee & charcoal, with just a tinge of hops, finish things off nicely.

Well. This isn't quite what I was hoping for; good, but not great. There's plenty of complexity here, but it's a bit choppy, like a salad that you eat one veggie at a time. Perhaps time will allow these disparate flavors to meld. Fourteen improved markedly after only 3-4 months; I'm going to sit on my remaining two bottles for a while in hopes that the same occurs here.

3.61/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - An dense, jet black body with a creamy, brown head that stood almost two fingers...not much retention but nice lacing

S - There's some smokey notes to this one along with chocolate, dark fruits, and alcohol

T - What stood out in the flavors was the dark fruits...but there was also some bright fruit flavors lingering as well which threw me off...deep notes of chocolate and malt lingered...and that smoke presence was there as well...again, alcohol was evident

M - Thick bodied...chewy and creamy

D - This is not what I was expecting from an Imperial Stout...the fruit flavors were big but there was an underlying chocolate and roasted malt presence...watch the alcohol level on this one

Fifteen from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.