Merry Monks - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Merry MonksMerry Monks

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.30% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 09-13-2001

Merry Monks, 9.3% ABV, is a Belgian-style Tripel. Pilsner malt combined with an Abbey yeast strain yields a remarkable and complex flavor packed with notes of spice, banana and pear. Nicely balanced, with a moderate to dry finish.

Merry Monks is bottle conditioned which imparts a special effervescence to the beer and a creamier carbonation. The ongoing fermentation inside the bottle will change the character of the beer as it ages and you’ll find it becomes dryer with age. You may want to lay down a few bottles for future evaluation. We suggest storing at cellar temperatures (around 55°F) and away from light.

This brew is available year-round. Keep your eye out for Merry Monks in 25 oz. cork-and-cage champagne bottles for an exceptional experience!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Merry Monks Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,064 | Reviews: 775

So, being from Pennsylvania I might be biased for this beer. I happen to love Weyerbacher products and this out of their line is my current favorite.

I've had this beer several times and this particular tasting was poured into a small serving glass from the bottle. Headdy! Golden color. Sweer aroma. Classic triple taste! You can taste the classic corinader flavor appearant in many Belgian Triples. Along with that spice its usually accompanied by orange peel. Very sweet probably attributed to the candy sugar used in the brewing process. The bottle says you can detect a hint of banana but I can't pick it up.
In my opinion this is the quintessential belgian triple.

Super tasty beer! One of my favorites!

Delicious!

4.97/5  rDev +28.8%

A random selection from the store this evening and I was greatly surprised. As soon as I opened the bottle the fragrance was amazing very fruity (not perfume like , as someone else reviewed). Great Blond color, and nice lacing from the head. And deeeelicious with the first mouthful. Refreshing, full of flavor, a very well crafted beer. Well done Weyerbacker!

4.91/5  rDev +27.2%

I just love this beer. Excellent creamy mouth-feel, complex flavors. Beautiful.

4.89/5  rDev +26.7%

A golden hue with faint red coloration

S fruity with a sweet tone light hop character

T caramel start with bright fruits and slight hop. malty sweetness that isnt over powering. i get the feeling the yeast is the one bringing all those wonderful flavors to the party and hops are just bittering to reduce the sweetness

M medium body which coats your toungue without feeling clotting just the right carbonation to bounce the flavor to the back of your mouth

D one of my true favorites if you can get it dont hesitate just dive in

4.85/5  rDev +25.6%

In a bottle purchased at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio. Poured into a clean, clear tulip glass.

A Love this appearance! Nice frothy Belgian style head over a straw cloudy body with carbonation visible. I admit that it was a bit difficult to see the beer properly in the low, inconsistent light of Winking Lizard which amounts to a sports bar (30 wide screen flat screens). What I could see was absolutely great.

S Bountiful sweet fruit but not citrusy, bitter. It smells like a fruit bowl with a bit of malt, grains and maybe a dash of hops. This is a really inviting smell! It cannot be improved upon.

T Front: a little burn of alcohol. Middle: Tremendous fruitty taste returns from the promise found in the nose and thankfully stays with through to the end feel. It is difficult to describe the Cornucopia of fruitty tastes but I will try. I swear that I taste raspberry, strawberry, maybe a non tart lemon but none of it is in a cheap "fruitty" like taste but in a wonderful first-bite-of-chweing-gun type of wonderfullness. The taste, like the smell, cannot be improved upon.

M Full with that initial alcohol bite and then the bountiful fruit taste. One can almost feel the texture of that great fruit taste. Despite the initial "hot" feel of alcohol this one could really sneak up on you with repeated pints/bottles.

D Simply great but I cannot give it the highest rating due to the high ABV. I finished my first one quickly and really wished that I could have several more.

Notes: I had planned to have this on tap in Rochester, NY but when I got to the place that had it (The Old Toad) I forgot the name of it and only recalled it after a few beers and a hearty dinner. I simply could not have another that night. What a great beer. My highest compliments.

4.82/5  rDev +24.9%

this was something that caught me completely by surprise. in a very good way, from the first sip to the last hand wrung-drop. when the beer hits your tounge, you fist realize that you havent mmade your will, and by the time your half-way through, im wondering if therell br enough time to make love to my wife, this beer is a distraction!!!

4.81/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great tasting brew very happy I gave this a try.

4.81/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Ring ring ring...bells ringing. Clearly the monks are happy tonight because they are drinking the beer on tap. This is the cure for Quasimodo

4.78/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled on: 1/29/14, best by: 1/29/16) into a Cuvee tulip glass

A- A conservative pour yields a hazy, orange hued beer with only about a 1/2 finger's worth of a rocky, white head dissipating rather quickly. Despite being bottle conditioned, a majority of the the yeast flocculated and was left behind, leaving only a trace allowed into the glass. (4.0)

S- A pungent fruit salad medley (banana, pear, granny smith apple, honeydew and pineapple) along with some bubblegum and spicy/medicinal phenols from the yeast. A very complex aroma for a Tripel that is not brewed with adjuncts...well done! (5.0)

T- Signature Belgian Tripel...bready and vanilla-like sweetness up front, tartness mid-palate followed by a spicy, dry finish. The fresher the bottle, the longer the finish...bottles with age tend to develop a dry and champagne-like quality. There is a detectable warming sensation on the way down courtesy of the alcohol (no surprise at 9.3% ABV)...it is clear to see why those Monks are so darn merry! (4.75)

M- Strong carbonation helps move the flavors across the palate, leaving your taste buds atwitter and ready for the next swig...dangerously drinkable at 9.3% ABV!. While 'Monks' falls on the heavier-side-of-medium, the hefty body allows the palate to b coated with all of this beer's elements: fruity, sugary and spicy. (4.75)

O- For me, I think Merry Monk's is at its peak right now (~6 months after bottling) and best enjoyed on the warmer side. I am a fan of Weyerbacher and think Merry Monk's is the best of their year-round offerings. For the price (~$11.99, 6-Pack, $8.99 750ml bottle), the quality and attention to style, this is simply one of the best craft brewed Belgian Triples in America. Although I prefer the mouthfeel of Merry Monk's from a 750ml corked & caged bottle, the 12oz format is just as good (and a better value). Being that the brewery boasts an active barrel aging program (Blasphemy, Insanity, Heresy and now Rhumpshaka), I would absolutely love for them to experiment with a Merry Monks aged in whiskey barrels. (4.75)

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

Awesome when you miss German heffewiesen!!!!!!

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

I have had the luxury of tasting this exquisite beer. Although I paid $16 for a sixer (at a local distributor), it was a little over priced. None the less, it is one of the finer beers I have had the pleasure of tasting. The date on my bottles was Oct. 15th 2014, I drank mine on the 4th of Dec. 2014. Considering this beer's taste may change over time as the review states, I feel it would only get better with age. I highly recommend buying this beer...unless you are a complete cheap O'Charlie (buy which you wouldn't have this app to begin with lol) you will be satisfied. Slainté!

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is quite good

4.74/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very good beer for great value

4.73/5  rDev +22.5%

A-Poured from a bottle into a 12oz snifter. Strong golden color, 2 finger head dissipated quickly.

S-Smell is very apparent that there is lots of yeast, a higher abv and a hint of banana

T-Sweet up front, very very lightly hoppy, a little malt and warming on the way down. As opposed to some other brews you can't *taste* the alcohol in this one.

M/D-Very easy to drink.. Wouldn't guess a 9.3%ABV by taste, probably would have guessed 5 or 6... Hint of banana, does taste slightly like a pale ale to me, but fantastic all around, I love this one, and the price at my distributor is only 37.99 a case!

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%

Noticed that I haven't reviewed a beer yet and I should.

I care mostly about taste. I have a love of higher alcohol content beers with fruity flavors and this is my go to beer. I can't say enough good things about it. The rest of the reviews give details regarding taste and there is nothing I can add. I just wanted to help with the rating of this beer.

In the future I will be more verbose.

4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

A: Pours straw/copper color with huge fluffy white head

S: Banana, bubble gum, rich creamy sweetness, hint of grassy hops, candy sugar

T: Peach, pear, citrus zest, spice, grassy hops, orange, and alcoholic sweetness

O: Very nice, probably the best tripel I've had to date other than Fin Du Monde.

4.64/5  rDev +20.2%

A high-quality trippel. Weyerbacher is a gem for Pennsylvanians, who can get this beer for about a buck a bottle. This trippel is brewed just right, with a good balance of hops and sweetness.

4.62/5  rDev +19.7%

Gorgeous amber beer with a thick, foamy head and tons of carbonation. Aromas of honey and apricot with spices. Delicious fruit and coriander flavor. Very drinkable; I'm wishing I'd bought more than one bottle. Weyerbacher really did a great job with this one.

4.62/5  rDev +19.7%

Third beer for review tonight. Sorry if I am overly generous. This isn't my first time around for this beer, so I can temper my analysis based on this tasting and prior tastings. I am glad to finally put this beer in writing.

This beer is a beautiful haze with orange. It almost looks like a nice sunset. It looks like it could be unfiltered... except that there is not particulate matter.

The beer smells floral and sweet. This is almost a dessert in a glass.

The beer is sweet, but balanced. I like the way this plays across the palate. I taste orange and the belgian yeast.

This is a very good belgian golden beer. I reccommend picking it up if you find it.

4.61/5  rDev +19.4%

A: poured a hazy straw into an american shaker pint with a white head that didn't hang around and left no lacing.

S: honey and pale malts with fruity yeast.

T: right up front there is bananas, that mellows into a sweet honey and pineapple flavor. The alcohol is there but doesn't retract from the taste at all. There is some pear that lingers on the back.

MF: a nice medium body and crisp. A little warm but not too much.

D: aawesome triple with some spectacular flavors and I would most certainly search this beer out again.

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This proves to be a bit of a noteworthy American triple as far as the profile of its fruitiness. Overall, it boasts tremendous drinkability for something of its ABV.

A yellow-gold hue, it produces a nice, thick, soft sliky foamy head on the pour with good retention. The smell reveals what's perhaps its most feature - real potent banana esters, but more like a greasy banana chip as opposed to fresh flesh or peel. And it's quite inviting and truly dominates the aromas and flavors, which both lack pronounced phenol or alcohol presence - meaning, all you have to cope with here is a tasty, moderately malty (in sweetness and body), mildly banana fruity Belgian-style ale. Poor thing! The drinking is smooth and somewhat substantial for the style and, even as it warms up, the alcohol only weakly bites. Yes, it's flavorful and satisfying - quite excellent - multiple beergasms.

4.58/5  rDev +18.7%

12 oz in a tulip.

Looks great. Head depends on pour, but with this much carbonation, it looks great in a glass with bubble streaming from the bottom of the glass and a nice white fluffy head.

Smells kind of like bubble gum and that Belgian yeast aroma. Can smell it without getting too close to the glass.

Taste is great. This is a regular for me. I believe the rating reflects the fact that it doesn't taste much like a traditional Tripel. If I wanted to show someone the style, I'd choose a Westmalle, but this has it's own character, and loosely fits the style on the bottle.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Highly carbonated and refreshing. Have to be careful with the 9.3% ABV. Drinkability is very high, like a Duvel, it goes down very easy.

I think this will be a good extra when I trade for anyone who can't get Weyerbacher. Great beer, great price, and underrated, but again, probably for "true to style" points.

4.57/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Light amber with a quickly vanishing head.

S: Belgian spices with notes of plum, over ripe banana and dates.

T: First notes of plum and cherry, with a underlying flavoring of apricot. Very reminiscent of the big Belgian style Trappist beers, probably in the yeast profile. Secondary notes of crystal and munich malts, with low hop bitterness.

M: Sultry medium to heavy mouthfeel with no sense of the above 9 percent ABV. Light carbonation.

O: Really good representation of the style. I would concider this among the bett of the belgian style american ales today. Better than anything other American 'beligan syle' brewerys are producing currently. Great triple.

Merry Monks from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.