Merry Monks' Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Merry Monks' AleMerry Monks' Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.30% ABV

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 09-13-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Merry Monks' Ale Alström Bros
Rgalvin

01-14-2013 01:11:32 | More by Rgalvin
Jay82

Maryland

1.5/5  rDev -61%

08-30-2013 23:15:37 | More by Jay82
snafui

1.53/5  rDev -60.3%

Had this on tap. I noticed in negative reviews folks referred to it as sour, lemony, etc. Not so here. It definitely seemed fresh. But it was like drinking banana juice.
Appearance was a pale yellow, cloudy. Very little head retention.
Smell was pure banana. It smelled like a hefe fermented way too high.
It tasted sweet and full of banana. Very much like a poor hefe than a belgian tripel. I almost thought I was served the wrong beer until reinforced by some companions who had experienced it before.
Mouthfeel was think and sweet.
Drinkability Couldn't sit down with a glass of this and finish it. I actually took the ice from a glass of water I had, and iced down this beer *TWICE* before it was tolerable. My party also found this to be an improvement and I did in fact finish the glass this way and actually enjoyed it. A companion referred to it as headache in a glass and I hope tomorrow doesn't prove him right.

I really hate to be that guy with very few reviews under his belt that jumps on BA to review the terrible but I just don't understand the positive reviews of this beer. I have to jump in here and speak my piece.

07-31-2007 04:34:27 | More by snafui
goodbyeohio

Oregon

1.63/5  rDev -57.7%

ugh.. this might be one of the biggest beer letdowns of my drinking career.

appearance: murky yellow with no head retention

aroma: yeast, yeast, yeast, and malt. no spices or sweetness evident in the aroma. already, this beer is worrying me.

taste: this beer tastes like a mix between vinegar and the back of an envelope. yeast and lemon are prevalent tastewise, leaving much to be desired in such a respected format.

keep in mind, this was my third bottle of a six pack- i wanted to make sure this beer was as bad as i first thought before penning this review.

maybe it was the high standard set by the 33 st bernardus 12 abt i consumed the night before, but this beer seems really substandard. for the first time in recent memory, i will sacrifice two of the six beers i purchased to the sink fairy.

however, based on other reviews, i will continue to seek out weyerbacher brews hoping something will make up for the tragedy that is merry monks.

12-22-2004 04:30:55 | More by goodbyeohio
burdgod

Maryland

1.75/5  rDev -54.5%

02-15-2013 23:49:24 | More by burdgod
BeefyMee

Connecticut

1.75/5  rDev -54.5%

Appearance: Pretty good here. The body is a hazy golden color with a short-lived head.

Smell: Uh oh, something is going wrong...

Taste: Blecchhh. My stomach is starting to turn. What happened to this beer? Simply put, the taste is sour and offensive.

Drinkability: I can't even finish this.

Beef Notes: Horrible. What was the thought process when putting this beer out for sale?

02-21-2004 22:30:15 | More by BeefyMee
Billolick

1.93/5  rDev -49.9%

sorry to do this, but this one went bad. So I guess this is a public service announcement on this brew. No head was achieved, it is cloudy in color. And the taste can only be described as sour!...so watch out for this one, try to find a fresh bottle, may be hard to do as this doesnt come with any type of freshness dating.

03-13-2004 01:21:39 | More by Billolick
DJED69

1.93/5  rDev -49.9%

Really, a B+?

Tasted totally disjointed. Way too much alcohol and heat. Flavors were a bit over the top all around. Carbonation was excessive. One of the only times I've ever poured a 750ml down the drain. This one wasn't enjoyable in any respect.

Maybe it was a bad bottle, I'll chalk it up to that---maybe. Compared to other similar styled beers, this was quite a disappointment.

06-22-2010 14:59:36 | More by DJED69
Brodirt

1.98/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is simply horrible. I dont know, maybe its me and maybe I dont like whatever is going on in this beer, or maybe I got a bad one, but boy is this bad. I bought 2, so I will check out the next and hop for my $4 or so's sake that it too doesnt get poured down the drain like the first one did.

01-07-2006 00:57:14 | More by Brodirt

Jinxxor

01-20-2012 20:16:13 | More by Jinxxor
number1bum

2.05/5  rDev -46.8%

Pours out a slightly orangeish golden color, good clarity with about a finger of off-white head. Head leaves a pretty full, thin lace, but not much stick.

Immediately on the nose is an abundance of banana, bubblegum and butterscotch. Some sweet malt and honey, too, and some fruity esters, but I'm not liking this nose.

Taste starts off ok with some honey-like sweetness and estery fruit flavors. Then it turns straight downhill and never returns. On comes that hideous combo of banana, bubblegum and butterscotch that was unpleasantly apparent in the nose, as well as some yeast and alcohol. Through the finish there is a cloying banana and butterscotch sweetness that coats the mouth and won't leave. Yuck.

Mouthfeel is pretty much full bodied, but the cloying factor kills it.

I'm not sure I can state this directly enough: I hate this beer. The more Weyerbacher beers I drink the more I think that, Double Simcoe aside, there is something about this brewery that just doesn't jive with my palate. I will have great difficulty finishing this 6 pack.

04-04-2008 01:05:28 | More by number1bum
krberg

Oregon

2.1/5  rDev -45.5%

Certainly golden. Cloudy with very little head. I expected a large, fluffy, white head to grace my new La Fin du Monde glass.

Smells sweet and medicinal. Berry notes.

Malty sweetness followed by a brief biscuit flavor. Typical Belgian yeast spiciness. Too sweet. Reminds me of Lunacy or Golden Monkey, both of which I also find to be sickly sweet.

High carbonation to style. Dead average.

Too sweet to be drinkable for me. I may not be able to get through this one.

04-13-2005 04:29:09 | More by krberg
silenius

2.23/5  rDev -42.1%

There must be something wrong with all of the samples of this beer I try. I really want to like it, but it is crummy.

Nice deep orange with a yellowish halo and nice head that fades quickly.

I'm off put by the slight vinegar characteristics I get from this plus something else sharp in there.

Taste is off. Sharp cider vinegar twinge with some caramel malt flavor to cut it.

Mouthfeel isn't so bad, but a little sharp from the acid taste.

Won't be drinking much of this one.

11-03-2004 00:06:16 | More by silenius
99bottles

2.23/5  rDev -42.1%

Appearance: Light golden body, moderate carbonation. A white head of miniscule bubbles quickly fades to a thin lacing. Only moderate retention.

Smell: The smell is of typical malt. Very bland nose for a Belgian golden style ale. It lacks the phenols and some of the fruity nuances of the real Belgians. Similar to Golden Monkey, and even more one sided and unimpressive.

Taste: Whoa. Quite transparent. Where are the subtle flavors that make tripels and stong golden ales so unique? This is a dumbed down version that offers little more than burning phenols and sharp hot alcohol through and through. This burns in the aftertaste and shows none of the sweet esters and soft bitterness one might expect. A stong taste of pepper in the finish. I am somewhat disappointed. If it were me, I'd back off on the malt; stop worrying about gravities and jacking the ABV through the roof and find a yeast and style of sugar that compliment the flavor.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: I wouldn't really want to ever have this again. There are so many good Belgians that this attempt is hardly even noble enough to continue producing. It starts to cloy, and the sharpness of medicinal pepper and phenols with no structure really cause this to be a chore. I'm against drain pours, but this is the least enojyable micro I've had in awhile. Sorry Weyerbacher. I'll stick to the Insanity, and hope this gets revamped in the future.

02-08-2005 16:47:02 | More by 99bottles
user785335

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

09-10-2013 16:56:32 | More by user785335
Merry Monks' Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.