Merry Monks' Ale - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Merry Monks' AleMerry Monks' Ale

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Tripel |  9.30% ABV

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 09-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Merry Monks' Ale Alström Bros

Beerj0hn, Oct 12, 2014

Rgalvin, Jan 14, 2013
1.08/5  rDev -71.9%

Hop-sing, Aug 15, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -61%

Jay82, Aug 31, 2013
1.53/5  rDev -60.3%

Had this on tap. I noticed in negative reviews folks referred to it as sour, lemony, etc. Not so here. It definitely seemed fresh. But it was like drinking banana juice.
Appearance was a pale yellow, cloudy. Very little head retention.
Smell was pure banana. It smelled like a hefe fermented way too high.
It tasted sweet and full of banana. Very much like a poor hefe than a belgian tripel. I almost thought I was served the wrong beer until reinforced by some companions who had experienced it before.
Mouthfeel was think and sweet.
Drinkability Couldn't sit down with a glass of this and finish it. I actually took the ice from a glass of water I had, and iced down this beer *TWICE* before it was tolerable. My party also found this to be an improvement and I did in fact finish the glass this way and actually enjoyed it. A companion referred to it as headache in a glass and I hope tomorrow doesn't prove him right.

I really hate to be that guy with very few reviews under his belt that jumps on BA to review the terrible but I just don't understand the positive reviews of this beer. I have to jump in here and speak my piece.

snafui, Jul 31, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -57.7%

ugh.. this might be one of the biggest beer letdowns of my drinking career.

appearance: murky yellow with no head retention

aroma: yeast, yeast, yeast, and malt. no spices or sweetness evident in the aroma. already, this beer is worrying me.

taste: this beer tastes like a mix between vinegar and the back of an envelope. yeast and lemon are prevalent tastewise, leaving much to be desired in such a respected format.

keep in mind, this was my third bottle of a six pack- i wanted to make sure this beer was as bad as i first thought before penning this review.

maybe it was the high standard set by the 33 st bernardus 12 abt i consumed the night before, but this beer seems really substandard. for the first time in recent memory, i will sacrifice two of the six beers i purchased to the sink fairy.

however, based on other reviews, i will continue to seek out weyerbacher brews hoping something will make up for the tragedy that is merry monks.

goodbyeohio, Dec 22, 2004

burdgod, Feb 15, 2013

BenBull3030, Aug 18, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -54.5%

Appearance: Pretty good here. The body is a hazy golden color with a short-lived head.

Smell: Uh oh, something is going wrong...

Taste: Blecchhh. My stomach is starting to turn. What happened to this beer? Simply put, the taste is sour and offensive.

Drinkability: I can't even finish this.

Beef Notes: Horrible. What was the thought process when putting this beer out for sale?

BeefyMee, Feb 21, 2004
1.93/5  rDev -49.9%

sorry to do this, but this one went bad. So I guess this is a public service announcement on this brew. No head was achieved, it is cloudy in color. And the taste can only be described as sour!...so watch out for this one, try to find a fresh bottle, may be hard to do as this doesnt come with any type of freshness dating.

Billolick, Mar 13, 2004
1.93/5  rDev -49.9%

Really, a B+?

Tasted totally disjointed. Way too much alcohol and heat. Flavors were a bit over the top all around. Carbonation was excessive. One of the only times I've ever poured a 750ml down the drain. This one wasn't enjoyable in any respect.

Maybe it was a bad bottle, I'll chalk it up to that---maybe. Compared to other similar styled beers, this was quite a disappointment.

DJED69, Jun 22, 2010
1.96/5  rDev -49.1%

wilmerkatie, Nov 15, 2014
1.98/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is simply horrible. I dont know, maybe its me and maybe I dont like whatever is going on in this beer, or maybe I got a bad one, but boy is this bad. I bought 2, so I will check out the next and hop for my $4 or so's sake that it too doesnt get poured down the drain like the first one did.

Brodirt, Jan 07, 2006

brpendergast85, Jun 14, 2014

cannunzi, May 29, 2013

tmars13, Sep 08, 2012

jp312, Sep 04, 2012
Merry Monks' Ale from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.