November - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

NovemberNovember

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.70% ABV

(Beer added by: xnicknj on 11-13-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by jorg2619:
4.1/5  rDev +9%

November picked up at Abe's in Bethlehem. I poured this beer into my Duval Tulip and was struck by the dark almost black brown color of the beer. Held to light the color becomes a dull ruby. I was also presented with three fingers of eggshell white head that slowly melted into mounds. The smell was also interesting. I expected coffee from reading the bottle but I smelled not only coffee but chocolate. The coffee smell was also pleasant and made me want to drink this November. So I did.

The taste rolled from smooth coffee bitter to malty smoothness to a slight chocolate smooth ending touched with coffee notes again. Wow this is an awesome and different brown ale. The mouth feel is awesome thin enough to gulp but pleasing to sip. I was sure this was going to be a pseudo coffee stout but the flavor is wholly unique. Weyerbacher has done this beer justice and I hope they brew it again!

jorg2619, Dec 13, 2010

The beer pours a brown color with an off-white head. The aroma features a ton of chocolate and coffee notes, as well as some toasted malt and a bit of toffee. The flavor is similar. I get some caramel malt and coffee up front, as well as some very dry, almost bitter dark chocolate notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Aug 19, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Weyerbacher November - 7.7% ABV - 46 IBU - 22 SRM - 12oz Bottle

Pours a dark brown with creamy sticky head and lots of carbonation. Aroma is coffee and malt with some toffee. Taste is smooth clean coffee, carmel, oats and malt. The coffee flavor becomes more prominent as the beer warms. This is as good as any coffee infused beer I've tasted, its not harsh or bitter. Superb mouthfeel and very drinkable. Really enjoyable brown ale, or as Weyerbacher calls it, "Imperial Breakfast Brown Ale". Only 60 cases bottled.

acurtis, Nov 16, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +13%

Varkias41, Jul 19, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Had a pint for $4 at Liberty St Tavern. You know I thought this was a tasty beer, but not rich or complex enough for the strength. The mild fruity malt and dry cocoa and light coffee notes were delicious, but it had the flavor and feel of a sub-6% beer. If they could cram this all into a session-strength beer, I'd be in love. As is it's still totally worth a pint or two.

tempest, Dec 23, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Deep brown, almost maroon and pours a tan colored head that is very fluffy and holds nicely.

S: Bitter chocolate and mocha. Some caramel and maybe a touch of toffee

T: Bitter chocolate followed by some roasted flavor. good amount of coffee. the chocolate start to get sweeter the more i got trought the be.

M: It has a nice creamy feel but could use a bit more body

D: Pretty quaffable and one i would be happy to have again

mikey711, Nov 24, 2010

FrankyLikesIt, Dec 04, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +15.2%

12oz bottle to tulip. Sampled on 12/1/10. $4.40 for the single.

A: The light brown head is light and airy and rises to 3 fingers with a slow collapse. The body is medium dark ruby-brown. Opaque except when held to light, at which point November's remarkable clarity is revealed. Despite the thick collar that lasts until the beer's end, lacing is spare.

S: Heavily malted with an ENORMOUS roasted coffee aroma. Faint notes of chocolate manage to come through. Big yeasty notes of leather and earth. Slightly one dimensional in the aroma department.

T: Do you drink coffee all day long? Do you drink coffee every day of the week? Do you like your coffee bold flavored? Deeply roasted? Do you take your coffee black? If none this applies to you, then I sincerely doubt that you will appreciate this beer. On any level. For me, this is the best coffee beer I've had to date, with far and away the most coffee dominating aroma and taste I've ever come across. It's more like a cold-served coffee beverage with carbonation than it is a beer. And for whatever reason, I am really digging this right now.

M: Phenomenal. The mouthfeel earns a '5' easily. The duration of flavor can not be extended any longer. The body is full; the texture is so thick and creamy. The soft carbonation is lightly fizzy and perfectly compliments the flavor profile of the beer.

D: As far as beer goes, the drinkability is not off the charts, but it is very good. If I could only replace this beer with the coffee I drink at work...

FeDUBBELFIST, Jan 08, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

caramel color brown with just enough light getting through to give it a sort of off reddish tint. The smallish tan head quickly faded and left behind only traces of itself. The aroma itself was lightly smoked almost, full of roasted malts and a touch of caramel. The flavor was light bodied but nicely roasted with a touch of a bittering finish and a flavor full of earthy grain like tones. A nice subtle bread like base was quaintly masked underneath. Overall this was a decent brown ale. It was nothing spectacular, but I do not think it was designed to be, but rather it was a very nice interpretation of the style.

mikesgroove, Jul 24, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +9%

Happy Thanksgiving Beer! Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours deep dark brown with a finger of fluffy, slightly off white head that lingers around for awhile.

Smell: Roasted coffee at first whiff followed by some roasted malt and notes of chocolate. Nice aroma.

Taste: Iced coffee, smooth creamy chocolate, some roasted/burnt malt followed by some caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy.

Drinkability: I liked this, but not as much as Coffee Bender, which is my holy grail of coffee brown ales. I wouldn't complain if Weyerbacher decided to make this a year round or a seasonal beer. I'm a sucker for coffee in my beer!

Axic10, Nov 25, 2010

oline73, Nov 16, 2011

pperez38, Jan 31, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -11.4%

A-Pours a ruby/amber with 1/2 inch of foamy head that reduces slowly, leaving thick lacing.

S-Caramel malts, roasty, smoky aromas, cocoa dust.

T/M-Pretty straightforward brown ale, no surprises here. Not all that sweet, some grassy hops in the back end. Boring, but an adequate example of the style.

D-Decent.

DaveHS, Dec 21, 2010

Beer pours dark brown, almost black, with a think brown head with good lacing. Looks a bit like a stout.

There is a bit of a smoke in the smell.

There is a lot of flavor here. The malt is deep and smoky. The coffee comes through strong with nutty bitterness. A little bit of chocolate highlights hanging in the background.

The beer has a thick smooth feel. The coffee lingers on the palette with a bit of caramel.

This beer goes down smoothly. It is a nice winter brown ale. A beer with a strong malty backbone is great for dark winter nights!

wampahoofus, Nov 29, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to Michael for sharing this bottle. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear brown color with a small white head and some sparse lacing on the way down. The nose brings roasted malt as well as a bit of coffee. The flavor doesn't stray too far, offering a good amount of the included coffee as well as some roasted malt and a bit of dark chocolate in the background. Medium body with average carbonation and a slightly-dry finish. Pretty good coffee brew.

Thorpe429, Jun 10, 2011

randomdanger, Nov 15, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks for sharing this one, Bobby.

A: Pours an appropriately dark brown color with a finger and a half of tan head.

S: I can certainly tell this is a coffee beer right away. Lots of coffee aroma without much else. Some earthy notes which could be the coffee or some hops. Just a mild sweetness to the nose.

T: Mostly coffee in terms of the flavor, as well. There is a bit of a coffee grounds type of flavor to this beer. Again, only a mild to moderate sweetness with some molasses and bread being the malt flavors.

M: Medium in body with a moderate carbonation.

O: The coffee flavor wasn't all that impressive in this beer, though it was certainly the dominant flavor component.

womencantsail, Apr 01, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -12.2%

Live review.

Big thanks to msulinski for this extra added to our deal. Not sure if he intentionally picked this for me, but I love coffee beers so I was really excited to see what this was.

I really like the appearance, poured really dark mahogany that looks almost black in the wider parts of my Duvel tulip. A one finger head of fine bubbles, a lighter caramel color. I get spindly rings of lace, which is quite good in this glass. A wide wring of foam rings the edge of the beer the whole time with visible bubbles emanating from the laser etching at the bottom center of the glass. The beer is very opaque, no light is getting through unless you look up through the top of the beer at an angle. I can tell though, that in a smaller glass this beer would be a clear dark coffee brown color.

At first the smell was a mild but smooth roasted coffee aroma. As it warmed I started getting sweeter, earthy hop notes and much less coffee. Mild molasses notes at the end mingle with well-worn leather and sweet pipe tobacco. I also began getting faint tart strawberries and sour cherry aromatics towards the end of my glass.

The flavor is bold on coffee, but bolder on hops (for the style of beer). Well roasted coffee beans, borderline burnt. I liked the flavor of the beans - it was heavy and powerful, but the near-burnt flavor lent a very strong dry bitterness to the beer which was unpleasant. There's also a ton of hop bitterness in this beer that I found in opposition to the coffee flavors.

Was the flavor bad? No. But the bitterness grew tiring, and it leads to the mouthfeel, which did in fact grow very tiring.

I have to dock the mouthfeel for the immense bitter dryness of this beer. It drinks very smoothly despite the high carbonation. But the dryness is quite potent. It's almost as if the beer were aged in freshly hewn white oak for a very long period of time. If this were true, I'd likely be less harsh on this aspect of the score, but the bottle tells no tale of wood. More likely, however, the dryness comes from a ton of bitter dry-hopping and over-roasted coffee.

Drinkability suffers due to the aforementioned bitterness and dry mouthfeel, plus the fact that this will likely never be brewed again. One bottle was a wonderful treat, but I don't think I could push through a second bottle in a sitting if offered.

Spider889, Jan 20, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

brandoman63, Nov 18, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Reviewed From Notes

Served in a Pint Glass at Mikro

A: brown turning to black body with 1/2 inch head, very standard looking

N: mainly a smooth note of coffee with some light mocha flavor, had this next to a BBC coffee house porter and this was much smoother and didn't have the burnt taste that some coffee brews showcase

T: still with the coffee, but also some substantial bitterness, which leads me to believe this beer was also hopped well, notes of citrus mix with the coffee, I like this one.

M: medium bodied with low to adequate carbonation

D: kinda scary, didn't realize this one was 7.7% until the next morning....

no alcohol taste + coffee + hops = :)

modernartblues, Jan 15, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

a- This is pretty dissapointing the head that I definately agitated lasted barely anytime at all and the body almost looks like a cola.

s- The smell was delicious. The coffee blended well with the yeasts and bread smells.

t- Coffee is really really strong in this one. The beer flavor and the coffee seem to be seperate for me not blended well together

m- alot of carbonation for a coffee beer. I dont know if this is supposed to be like this but I like it. I think they did a good job making it almost a spicy carbonation.

d/o- I love beer and coffee combinations but for me this one was a little light. I dont know if I was so used to stouts being with coffee that this threw me off. Overall I would drink this beer at a bar but I wouldnt go out of my way to trade for it.

leakyfaucet12, Jan 23, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -28.2%

Appearance -- Pours a slightly hazy rusty red with two fingers of creamy beige head. Lots of pinpoint lace. Surprisingly handsome. A bit 'light', but otherwise nice!

Smell -- Whoa, coffee! Lots and lots of coffee, vanilla, cocoa, and toasted/red malt. Also sweet, reminiscent of a mocha milkshake.

Taste -- Oh my. Intense acrid coffee flavor paired with vanilla ice cream sweetness, toasted malt, and earthy hops. Lingering flavor of vanilla-flavored coffee grounds.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied with quite mild carbonation. with the voluminous head and the smooth body you'd almost swear this was a nitro-bottle. Very interesting.

Drinkability -- This beer had a lot going for it, but man, too much unbridled coffee flavor. I can only assume this is what Autocrat syrup tastes like.

yeahnatenelson, Feb 09, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Pours dark brown with a ruby hue, and has tan colored head, with spotty retention. Nice lacing.

S: The nose is full of fresh brewed coffee mostly, but there are some roasted malts, and maybe even some chocolate malt scent.

T: The coffee flavor is very smooth. There is a hint of bitterness from the coffee, and also some hop bitterness. Mid-palate there is some roastiness and very mild sweetness. The beer finishes with some more bitterness, both coffee and hops.

M: Light to medium bodied, mild carbonation, and a bit watery on the mouthfeel.

D: This is a smooth coffee influenced beer. Some coffee beers are too harsh, but this one has the right level of coffee flavor.

aglose45, Dec 21, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Got a few of these from the brewery a few weeks back in a mixed case. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours an opaque, dark almond beer with ruby highlights on the edges. Forms a very thick, bubbly beige head. Good retention at that, not much lacing.

S- No big suprise here, coffee. Roasty aroma's, including coffee bean's and vanilla. Maybe its just me but I pick up a hint of marshmallows in this beer.

T- Suprise, coffee! If you drink this cold its very much like an iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts or the like. Warming brings out more roasted flavors. Hops appear at the finish, and blends in perfectly with the coffee grind aftertaste to leave a little bit of warming.

M- Feels like drinking a coffee, with a drying aftertaste. Starts out very smooth upfront and transitions into that dry bitterness. Body is a little lighter than I'd like it to be though.

D- I would drink this all the time. Taste more like coffee in my opinion than Founders BS. I'm sure there is more pronounced coffee beers out there, but I have really enjoyed this.

haazer, Dec 11, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle courtesy of msulinki poured into a stone pint glass.

A: Color is a medium brown with a slight tinge or red when held to light. Very thin head layer with minimal retention, minimal lacing.

S: Smell is mostly malt, coffee and some very mild fig notes which is about all I pick up.

T: More flavorful than expected given the smell. The fig presence is there on the front end, briefly. Followed by tobacco and coffee. Surprisingly light malt backbone. Coffee aftertaste lingers for some time but is not overpowering.

M: Medium viscosity and small light bubbling. Quite smooth.

D: Easy to drink, not a sipper. A beer I could easily drink several of in one sitting. But that abv would catch up as it always does.

Overall I really like this beer. While not my top style, this is certainly one of the better brown ales I've had. I would certainly enjoy this again. In fact, I think I will right now. Thanks for the extra bottles Marc.

mrmiles, Dec 23, 2010
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
November from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.