Sixteen - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Braggot |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: silentjay on 05-24-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sixteen Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a stange. Bottles 4-11-11

A - Pours a deep mahogany with a 2 finger tan head. Retention is wonderful. It dwindles down to a 1/4 finger then just stays right there. Sticky lacing. Looks wonderful!

S - Roasted malts, chocolate, hint of vanilla, dried fruit/raisins, honey. Lots going on there but its a moderate nose in strength, not overpowering at all.

T - Oh wow! This is incredible. Starts off with the dried fruit characteristics, then moves into the candy/chocolate, roasty-warm malts, slight warming alcohol. Then after the finish a twinge of what I would call a honey licorice suddenly appears. Just a wonderful mix of fun and flavors that somehow all comes together.

M - Full-bodied, rich, somewhat creamy. Very smooth. The booze is well hidden but present nonetheless. Very drinkable but its to be savored. The finish is what really blows me away. Its dry and so unique.

O - Really dug this effort from a brewery I've had nothing but good luck with. I don't know this style well I must admit but boy what a fun little beer this one is. Going to stock up tomorrow!

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

Now this is an awesome beer/mead combo!!

A-Deep dark black with little lacing and not much of a head due to the abv of this one.

S-Wow!! it is like smelling a mead with some molassas and chocolate malt smells. I can just smell this one without drinking it and would be happy. Happier once I taste though.

T-What an honor to have this. Same flavors as I smelled, honey, molassas and choclate malt with little hop presence(which is needed for this). I never had any other Braggots to compare this too but I am comparing to Stout's and it kicks all their butts. The back of this is a lot of honey and sweetness. In a good way!!

M-medium bottle, not syrupy but just awesome and very drinkable.

All in all, one of my top 10 beers of all time!!

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The TWElve oz. poured into a snifta. Dark deep brown with some red hues w/ compliments of a nice sexy cream tan head. Long ass legs present, but expected from that skyscraping abv. Smells so sweet, honey, sweet caramel malts, milk chocolate scents as well. Uhghghghhh so goood!

Taste follows the nose, the 10.5% abv hides really well behind the curtain of sweet malts & honey. Really fucking smooth with toasted tones to it, could literally drink this big beer all day, or until my nervous system allows.

Thicker mouthfeel meshes well with the moderate carbonation & toasty malts. This is an awesome intro to braggot ales! Will be seeking more of this style out.

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%

Wow. What an interesting brew. It reminds me of Midas Touch from Dogfish Head, but I like this better. It is dark but not smokey. Sweet and bitter. Boozy, but well disguised.

Mead by itself can be a bit much, but this has the blend going on and it really works, not just as a novelty. I would buy this again.

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle (4 pack) into a snifter.

First time with this style, as I haven't really seen any before.

A: Pours a very dark brown with ruby edges and a one finger tan head, leaving moderate lacing along the edges.
S: Lots of sweet honey, molasses, and perhaps some caramel malts.
T: Again, lots of sugary sweetness on the front end, some roastiness in the middle, and definite honey on the finish. No alcohol bite, surprisingly considering the abv of this one.
M: A bit sticky, yet still smooth with decent carbonation and again, no trace of an alcoholic burn.
O: My first braggot, and I'd say it passes the test. I could drink this all day if the abv weren't so high. It's on the sweet side, which I prefer from time to time to take a break from all the high abv, hop forward IIPA's, Barleywines, and RIS's.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

I really didn't know what to expect from this brew or this style in general. I have had other braggots but have not been impressed by any that come to mind. I will not forget this one.

Pours with a deep very dark brown body that is almost black. Head is a biscuity brown foamy cream that fades in just a couple of minutes.

Nose is full of complex sweet malty goodness. Honey, short bread and sugar cookies come quickly to mind. A soft hint of spice is also noticeable. Very attractive nose.

With first sip you imediatly see how well the honey plays in the flavor profile of this beer. The mead feel really comes through nicely. So often this style is to thick, and while this one thick it is very well balanced. The body had a consistant sweetness with a bready, slightly spicy backbone.

Mouthfeel is rich and zesty. I could drink this brew quite often. I wish I had picked up more.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

On draft at Bully’s, at my request poured into a Dogfish Head Snifter, 12 oz. pours

Notes written at the bar.

Pours a great thick one finger head, which slowly reduces to a 1/8” cap, which lasts. Very lively ale.
Very dark brown almost black color, with a tan colored head. Great lace on glass. Picture perfect.

A wonderful smell of powerful yeast, brown malt, and after it warms a bit, honey. Each component comes and goes with each smell, very distinct and complex.

Incredible entry on the palate of distinct yeast, dark roasted malt, and distinct honey. Very rich. Everything increases in intensity as the ale warms. Full mouth feel and a wonderfully balanced carbonation.

Long finish of yeast, honey and malt.

Wow! Totally different from anything I have had previously, though it does have some Belgium Ale qualities to it. Yeast dominated, honey and an overall impression of richness. A pleasure and privilege to have this on draft.
Thanks to Dave proprietor of Bully’s Restaurant, Columbia PA for getting this one.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

12 oz bottle traded with SonofaLime back in November of 2011. I poured this one into my CCB snifter a little at a time after it warmed up a bit.

Appearance: A very nice mahogany with a film of bubbles around the edge and a bowling ball swirl of effervescence on the liquid.

Smell: Honey is the primary scent. A strong malty presence backs this up with some booze. I do not get "spices" as might be expected with the style.

Taste: A nice honey mixes with alcohol soaked raisins and rich malts. Even after a year and a half age on this bottle the alcohol is strong but does not burn, at all. Even with the pervading honey flavor the resulting sweetness is not at all cloying. I get a sense of chocolate and some toast from the malts. All in all, really nice.

Mouthfeel: A thick sticky brew, this one lingers so long on the palette. The body is thickish while the carbonation is lower.

Overall: I can see why this brew won gold at GABF 2011. A very complex and slow sipper of a beer. I would love to get hold of this one again.

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance: This one is very dark brown with a head that is off white to beige.

Aroma: Mint, honey, faint licorice. A slight bit of of toffee, brown bread, twinges of pepperiness. Raisns towards the back.

Taste: At first sip certainly has honey in the front with raisins tossed in. Brown bread makes it self known amongst the flavors. The mouthfeel is a little bit chewy. At the end there is quite a rush of black licorice to top it off.

Notes: An incredible beer such a great style oh did mention this beer is dam tasty. This one is a very good pick up and very drinkable. Cheers.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark reddish brown with a steady one-inch foamy head; this beer is dark and gorgeous; lacing is intricate and delicate looking

S: What a complex bouquet of aromas: nutty and dark fruits: cherry, orange, plums with definite honey and roasted chocolate; my god, this smells sweet and boozy and fruity and awesome

T: So much intense flavors up front; a barrage of nuts and honey and dark fruits and alcohol and roasted malts; it fades a tad but still packs such a flavorful punch; God, this is good--almost like a quad with honey

F: Medium body but perhaps on the thin side but enough beer sticks to the roof of the mouth

O: this is one awesome dark braggot; it is so complex and boozy and yet drinkable; really it is up there as one of Weyerbacher's bests

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

I had never heard of a Braggot before trying this beer. I checked out the BA description before this evaluation to best review the beer. It is great to have this opportunity for such a hard to find style.

It pours heavy... almost like a thicker stout coming out of a bottle. It looks unusual with the yellowish brown color. The beer coloring seems like a porter gone bad.

The minimal carbonation is not a surprise with the honey in the beer. However, I get a good release of ale and honey in the aroma. I like the sweetness in the beer smell.

In my first taste, I check out the texture tentatively. Drinking heavy beer in the summer is not at the top of my list of "to-do's." The texture is much lighter than a mead would be. There is the feeling of a heavier ale... almost like a double IPA.

The flavor is complex and demanding. I taste the mead notes and the light hopping in the ale. There is sweetness in the flavor, but it is not too much honey as it is offset by the ale.

This is a complicated, enjoyable experience in a beer. I look forward to the next bottle I open.

4.41/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've never had an Anniversary beer from Weyerbacher that I didn't think was of the highest quality. Big fan of this brewery, even though I think there year-round options could use some work. Nice dark color ale with aromas of sweet malts, mild hops and honey. And, it comes together in the taste. Flavors are right now. The only criticism I could possible offer is it may be too sweet. It's works, though. Again, there's the honey - and I'm a sucker for dark ales anyway. Mouthfeel is almost perfect. Super smooth and creamy. Velvety. Great brew - highly recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Gold medal GABF 2011gold winner in the honey ale category. Let's check this out!

A real nice appearance of light caramel brown for the head, foamy win sticky like retention. The body is a great dark chestnut brown, with real nice red hues along the edges. Looks real neat.

Nose is malt and light honeycomb sense. Hints of toffee quite nice.

Taste is a real nice mix of light bodied but just slightly syrupy honey. Dough and baked bread like dark malts with just a hint of light feel fill the palate. High abv is hardly noticeable, there is no boozy sense of character at all. Honey tasting finish with even some great roast character.

Overall I really like this mix of light and thick textures and tastes . This is really neat beer.

4.34/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Due South Brewing Co. snifter. No freshness date but it was definitely bottled in 2011.

A- Pours a nearly opaque black color with a 1/2 inch tan head that retains a bit before gradually relenting to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a sheer sheet of surface foam. Lacing is slick and non-resilient leaving splotches on the side of the glass.

S- Sweet sherry-like aroma with a nice dose of booze, raisin and honey.

T- Very smooth flavor for the ABV. Dark fruit, spice and moderately roasty malt make up the profile with some wine-like tannins. So drinkable it's nearly unbelievable. I'm thinking the age on it is making it this nice. There's the slightest bit of oxidation but it's actually a complimentary taste. Mild caramel aftertaste.

M- Semi-creamy but dry with medium carbonation and a robust body.

O- I had this when it first came out and liked it but, now that I examine it closely and it's been simmering in the bottle, I realize how terrific it is.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

This Braggot pours into a tulip glass a deep brown with some amber outlines. It has a lovely foamy and slightly rocky white head.

Nose on this one is full of sweet caramell malts, orange blossom honey, brown sugar and molasses.

Tatse is very smooth and elegant. Slightly bitter up front. A fair bit of an alcohol kick but understandable given the ABV. on this big bad beer. Aftertaste is really reminiscent of honey. I've only ever had one Braggot before to compare this to and I think that the other one had even more honey in it than this one. This one is obviously more rounded and complex. Tasty to say the least. A sweet beer but not overboard. This one's got a nice creamy and slightly syrupy mouthfeel.

Give it a try.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Dark brown with ruby accent. Smallish head on the pour that fades quickly to a covering. Moderate carbonation.

S - Lots of dark malt, ripe fruit, dark cherry with a hint of spice.

T - Intense malt, lots of dark crystal malts, that honey does not come across too sweet and fermented out very well. This is like a Dark Belgian Strong Ale on steroids. Unfortunately, what could have damn near perfect turned slightly boozy at the end...but that is a small knock on the overall flavor.

M - Smooth body, still some sugars in there that could not be broken down, carbonation and alcohol help to help to clean the heaviness up at the end to make it surprisingly drinkable.

O - Damn good braggot, a style I don't drink much of, but absolutely a winner of a braggot. Thought it may be cloyingly sweet, but not at all, and the complex malts make it a winner.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Smith 12 oz. nonic.

Appearance: Mostly like a really dark amber with good, mildly mocha-colored lacing.

Smell: Honey all over the place, but it never becomes overly bouquet-like (and if it does, it becomes a good sense of sentimentality) or cloying to the nose. Some dark fruits makes their way in also, along with a bit of char and burn, which seems to lessen the sweetness.

Taste: A mouthful of bees? Eating a honeycomb? Not so much, but it seems to me, as not an expect, that the honey used here is top notch. Of course I may be wrong, but what makes me think this mostly is the extremely long finish, which is also what I remember when I brewed my first beer with honey. There are, also, some good spices here. I can't pick all of them out, but they're present, welcoming, and not so complex that they're taking away from what I think is the point of the brew. There's a long bouquet, and again, the flowers are extremely present, which makes sense, considering what bees do, minus the sting.

Mouthfeel: Keeps it non-cloying with the honey and alcohol content, which is what you should probably believe is a good thing considering all of the factors. Carbonation's pretty smooth and at-the-last-second swallow prickly, slightly, in a good way.

Drinkability: Another top notch brew from Weyerbacher. I know I'm not the only one who looks forward to the anniversary releases, and this was no different. A long sipper on the porch in summer is the way to go with this. Enough balance from the hops and char to not make it too sweet, but the honey almost reaches otherwordly qualities on the taste buds -- not quite transcendent, but it's close.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

A: 3 finger head with good retention and nice lacing. Dark brown.

S: Some caramel but mostly licorice for my nose.

T: Spicey with honey and complex malt character. Licorice and caramel notes.

M: Medium to full body and moderate to high carbonation.

O: This was my first Braggot. I really like this one. The licorice notes arent something I like to much but the beer was complex enough that these didnt distract me very much.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into a Lucifer snifter.

Pours the clear garnet color of a Quadrupel, with a moderate bubbly tan head. Good retention, medium lacing. Smells strongly of honey, and I like it. Drinks sweet with hints of dark bitterness. Definite notes of honey and yeast.

The finish is mildly tannic, and the booze is present. Richness of dark fruit and dried peel --- frankly, this reminds me of Rochefort 10, say what you may! Either my palate is shit, or this beer is way underrated. I read some reviews and the major complaints are off-putting booziness and unwanted esters. Classic "fermentation gone wrong"? Well, I don't get any of it. In my very humble opinion, except for 6, 8, and 10, this is the only beer I have had that evokes similar feelings as Rochefort does!

4, 4, 4.5, 4, 4.5

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Pours with one finger of light tan foam on top of a black body with clear, ruby colored highlights showing through. The head settles at a moderate pace and leaves light lace on the glass.

S - A strong note of honey with some spicy cinnamon and clove notes as well as a hint of caramel.

T - Brown, malty notes of caramel and nutty toffee up front. Some thick honey comes out in the middle with notes of orange and licorice. Finishes out with a strong, mead-like honey character and lightly roasted malt flavors.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - Very interesting, I can honestly say that I have never had a beer quite like this one. The honey character is pronounced and seems to be augmented by the caramel and dark malt. Enjoyable and very drinkable despite its strength.

4.29/5  rDev +12%

A- pours a very dark brown. The head has minimal retention.
S- There is a barrage of aromas on the nose. Honey, alcohol, malty sweetness, nutty quality.
T- It really reminds me of a Quad. At first it's really malty up front with a nutty, slightly caramalized, toasted character. The sweetness that comes from the use of honey comes through more and more as it warms. Really, really deep malty complexity.
M- It's decetively light in body, at least lighter than the depth of malt flavor would suggest to me. Low carbonation. Alcohol shows up and is quite warming in the finish.
O- A really deep set of flavors and aromas. Definitely worth trying. The alcohol and malt complexity are a bit fatiguing on the palate, but it's still a really pleasant, interesting beer.

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

Fell in love with this a little over one year ago now and loved it so much I thought it would be cool to put a few aside for an aging attempt.

The one major difference I have noticed is that even though this beer was not highly bitter. It did have a bit of bitterness which was nice with this beer's dry note. To be expected though.

Anyway, now after a little over one year of sitting in the cellar this beer has mellowed a bit. It has matured in a pleasant way and certain aspects have become more clear.

Smells mildly roasty, sweet, a little heathery, dried grass which intermingles with a slightly floral honey. Very nice.

The carbonation seems to have dropped a bit more, which is concerning but it still retains a nice gritty texture. Medium to heavy body, somewhat sticky. The taste whirls through very dark, dry chocolate, small caramel, but then heavily into honey with a touch of roasted malt. This year old bottle finishes off with a more assertive anise taste. Which is great, I love anise.

Definitely satisfying when it was fresh and also at one year. But I am a bit worried by the lowered carbonation and a certain background taste which is hard to describe (but is somewhat reminiscent of a very old Mikkeller barleywine that went bad), that this may be the extent at which this beer should be held for. So, if you have them drink them, this is a beer that shouldn't be risked and wasted. I'll be enjoying the other two that I have very soon!

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Served in a snifter on 10-7-11.

My first Braggot!

The first thing I noticed as I poured this bad boy was a violent collection of bubbles. They rapidly grew to the top of the glass and collected into a 2-finger light khaki head, then stopped suddenly. Cool! It looks pitch black until held up to the light, which reveals a deep, deep red color with just the tiniest amount of light poking through.

The first few sniffs reminded me of wood and mulch - yet somehow, in a really pleasant way. It's very earthy, and is sort of reminiscent of a Scotch ale. There's a very mild tobacco smell, as well as a little bit of overly-ripened fruit. A smidge of black pepper comes through, and it has a decent amount of raisins. I swear there's a smell that is a mix between banana and watermelon - and yes I know that sounds weird! After it warms up a bit, the honey smell comes out in a BIG way. Tons of floral honey notes that reminds me of a good mead. After warming up for awhile, the alcohol comes through quite a bit, and in this case it shines.

Mmmm - It's like beermead (or is it meadbeer?). Tons of very dark honey flavor on the tongue. After the first few sips, I get a lot of dark fruits and that bizarre watermelon/banana flavor which is absolutely lovely. There's a lot of fruity esters in this, reminding me of the type of flavor you get from brewing an ale at too high of a temperature. There's a little bit of an oaky flavor - not quite as earthy as the smell, but definitely "woody". The alcohol is present, but works well with all of the other flavors. There's nothing harsh in this beer at all, and everything is almost perfectly blended together. This beer is an unusual one, but it totally works.

This guy is a sipper for sure, and would be great as a winter night cap. It's very thick and has almost no carbonation, and it warms with every sip. It drinks less like a beer and more like a liquor - you do not want to guzzle this, but rather sip and savor. So, the drinkability is low, but you don't want a highly drinkable beer with something like this.

This beer is awesome if served appropriately. It almost demands to be served either with or in lieu of dessert. If dessert isn't your thing, this is the beer you'd reach for while others would reach for a fine brandy or cognac - on your favorite chair, by a fire, and under covers whilst reading a leather bound book. The label may look sort of "meh", but when poured into a snifter this beer can hang with the most sophisticated and snobby crowd. It feels like a treat to drink this beer, which is weird because it was sort of a sleeper beer (at least around here). I dig this stuff.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a snifter. Pours a dark brown color with a light tan head.

S- The honey comes right out in the aroma with an array of spices and dark bready malts. Smells good, can't wait to taste it.

T- The taste is bready with dark fruits up front. A honey-like sweetness fills the palate next along with some spices. The finish has some warmth from the alcohol.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, Sixteen was an interesting beer. I do not have a whole lot of experience with braggot ales so this was a nice change of pace from the regular styles I am used to drinking.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottle: Poured a cloudy dirty brown color ale with a medium size foamy head with OK retention and not much lacing. Aroma of sweet honey notes offset by some caramel and light chocolate notes. Taste is a very nice mix between some sweet honey notes with some caramelized malt and light subtle chocolate. Body is about average with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Very well brewed and interesting experiment - a sipper for sure but still not overly sweet.

Sixteen from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.