Sixteen - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

SixteenSixteen

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Braggot |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: silentjay on 05-24-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sixteen Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

A - Dark brown with ruby accent. Smallish head on the pour that fades quickly to a covering. Moderate carbonation.

S - Lots of dark malt, ripe fruit, dark cherry with a hint of spice.

T - Intense malt, lots of dark crystal malts, that honey does not come across too sweet and fermented out very well. This is like a Dark Belgian Strong Ale on steroids. Unfortunately, what could have damn near perfect turned slightly boozy at the end...but that is a small knock on the overall flavor.

M - Smooth body, still some sugars in there that could not be broken down, carbonation and alcohol help to help to clean the heaviness up at the end to make it surprisingly drinkable.

O - Damn good braggot, a style I don't drink much of, but absolutely a winner of a braggot. Thought it may be cloyingly sweet, but not at all, and the complex malts make it a winner.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Pours a moderately cloudy dark brown/red with a moderate tan head.

S - dark fruits, solvent, roasted malts, floral notes.

T - dark roasted notes, dark fruity notes, a bit of alcohol. Except for the booze, it's actually really good.

M - smooth, lively, heavy and viscous.

O (D) - my first braggot, i think it's pretty good. Not sure if its right for the style, but I enjoyed it.

Weyerbacher 16

Pours a dark mahogony into a snifter. Small off white head forms and fades. Aroma of honey, roasted malts and dried figs. In the flavor, a nice balanced brew featuring honey suckle, faint roasted malts and oaky tannins. Not overly sweet which was welcomed. Nice well rounded flavor, simple yet enjoyable, the alcohol was present but not detracting and led to a warming semi-dry finish. Medium bodied and a bit chewey feel. Overall, a whale of a beer and worth the effort of obtaining. Would like to see what some time in the cellar would do to this one.

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

Grabbed this one up at the Gateway grill. No price in the system so they let me have a bottle for $2.50!

A - Poured darker than expected, almost stout like with only a slight amber tone. Head is minimal but still pretty sticky.

S - Honey is plentiful in this one along side of toasted almond and some grain.

T - Taste is pretty sweet with only a slight twang of alcohol in the middle. Honey is there but not as sweet as expected and the toasted almond is there with a slight bit of bitterness which I expect from the hops.

M - Thinner than I expected for such a big brew.

Overall I am glad to try this just to put a "Braggot" under my list of styles tried. Sweetness works pretty well and alcohol is well masked. Good beer.

3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

Weyerbacher's anniversary beers have always been a must find for me, going back to ten. I have rarely been let down. This year was an exception (I hope). Poured a clear dark brown with a little brown head on top. Aromas of honey, more honey and roasted malt. On the palate, this one was fairly light bodied, both sweet and quite dry, with lots more honey.

3.86/5  rDev 0%

Pours a deep garnet with a finger of sticky tan head that reduces but hangs around. Beautiful color when held to the light.

The nose is pungent with dark fruit, namely apricot and raisin, sticky sweet, a little cherry acidity. No noticeable hops. They could be there, just blended completely with the malt.

First taste is very grainy, sweet from the malt but with a dry character from the the honey. Braggots have a certain flavor that escapes my descriptive powers, but I'm trying my best. The combination of lots of malt and lots of honey is very unique. The grain has a sort-of cereal characteristic but is also very complex and rich. The honey doesn't impart a ton of flavor, but adds body and slight dryness.

Very thick body, sticky sweet aftertaste, but overall is a very enjoyable experience. If you've never had a braggot before, this is a good one to try. It's a unique type of brew and I'm excited to see a good commercial rendition of one.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Right away when I popped this one open I could smell lots of fresh fruit. This one pours a dark brown with a finger of bubbly light tan head. Leaves some sticky lace.

Juicy pears are the first thing I notce in the aroma. A little bit of allspice and cloves. Mostly malts on this, not really noticing any form of hops here. Kind of sweet in the aroma, I'll attriubute that to the honey. Rich on the flavors. A little sweet with molasses and sweet spices.

Very full somewhat chewy feel to this with soft carbonation.

I've never had a braggot before (at least not that I can remember). This one seems pretty well done and it's certainly enjoyable.

I'd forgotten Sixteen was even coming out until seeing it on the shelves of Zipp's in Minneapolis & feeling the rush of adrenaline to my nether regions. Weyerbacher anniversary beers have been some of my favorites over the years, & I could hardly wait to get my hands on this one. Split over a late-night Twins game with my lovely, grinning wife (the grin caused by the 9% bomber we split earlier).

Only our third braggot & so far it's a split decision; one good, one not so much. Pour is a deep cleft red that seems to generate its own internal light. Smells like my kid's Halloween bucket well into the night: sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet, with an edge of sweet candied sugar. Pears & apples on top.

Sixteen is a wild mix of sugar high, honey, & attendant fruits, like a melted dish of suckers mixed in with yeast. The honey shines & lays the foundation of sweetness. There's an edge of candied Belgian sweets, overripe pears, dash of spices of indeterminate ancestry, & ends up almost in wheat territory. Reminds me a lot of a young, raw Fourteen, which eventually turned into a mature, lovely creature. This would be an easy beer to pound & a good way to wake up with your head in a drawer.

Like most of Weyerbacher's anniversary beers, I feel like this would be better...later. A very good beer, but Twelve, Thirteen, & Fourteen all improved dramatically after a good timeout in the cellar. Plan on grabbing a four-pack & letting it think about its future for a good number of months.

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Purchased at FingerLakes Beverage for ~$4 for the bottle.

A: Deep mahogany color, very clear. Aggressive pour leads to a 2 finger head that quickly disappears. Strong and consistent lacing.

S: Has the smell of a quad with a bit of honey. Yeasty, grainy but a nice full malt sweet smell. Definitely picking up the smell of alcohol here as well.

T: Follows the nose almost to the fullest with a bit more fruit on the palate than expected. Honey appears on the backend but is bitch-slapped by the alcohol. I would love to see what age would do with this one.

M: Medium body, low carbonation with sticky sweet mouthfeel and creamy coating on the mouth.

O: Glad I tried one now, this is a very interesting beer and one that Weyerbacher should be commended for brewing. This is a big monster of a beer and I would love to cellar a few for a year or so to back the booze down.

3.74/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap at Bodega, served into a tulip.

The beer is a purplish cola color. Served with a short, dark head on it. Otherwise not all that appetizing.

Smells of honey. Lots of sweet clover notes. The alcohol is apparent on the nose, as well as some carmelized sugar.

Bitter, much more so than I'd have expected. Strong booziness. There's also sweet toffee, honey, and a minimal sour cherry flavor going on. It wasn't delicious, but of the 2 or 3 braggots I have had in my life, this is the best tasting.

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%

Just had my third experience with this one, I'm putting the last one away to age. 12oz bottle poured into a goblet. Pours brownish red, slightly transparent w/ ruby hues. Nice off-white head and decent lacing. The nose is somewhat faint w/ lots of malts and grains. The flavors are dominated by honey, giving it a warm sensation. There's also hints of chocolate and toffee. There's a nice oak/woodsiness to this one, which I like. Cherries are in the mix as well. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, smooth and slightly fizzy, but definitely not overboard on the carbonation. The alcohol is noticeable, so this one doesn't make a bad sipper. This isn't cloyingly sweet at all. I'm interested to see how this one will do with some time on it.

This beer kind of reminds me of a heavy-duty scotch ale. Overall, this is an interesting beer that I'm glad I tried. I'm a big fan of Weyerbacher.. I like it, not bad at all, but I can't help but think of what this could be. Weyerbacher also gets credit for trying something different. I also have nothing to compare it to, as far as braggots go. If you see this, give it a go.

2.86/5  rDev -25.9%

A- poured with a very nice color, very inviting. had a nice mahogany/auburn tint to it.

S- honey hits you first but it's followed by a not-so-great scent that reminded me of mineral spirits,

T- Honey was present here, along with those mineral spirits. In my opinion this tasted like something your grandmother would give you as she says "drink this, it'll make you feel better"

M- I thought it was rather thin, at this point I'm a little disappointed with this beer I was really looking forward to.

O- Again, just a bit disappointed with this one as Weyerbacher was one of the first breweries that got me into craft. I still want to commend their effort at branching out and continuing to brew new things, props to the brewery for that, but this didn't suit my tastes.

3.09/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a St Bernardus oversized wine glass.

Appearance
This beer pours out with vibrant, dark reds, much like the ones seen on the label. It gathers in my wide-mouthed glass very close to black. The head is very nice and lush. Retention is decent, but the full sheets of lacing are left up to a wide collar.

Aroma
Honey in the raw builds a strong, earthy, natural base. The beer smells very spicy. Malts swirl up, imparting a nice dark fruitiness. Lots of pureed fig, sweetened by cherries. A little bit of dark, red wine aromas. Sour dough brings things back down to a yeasty, bready base.

Taste
Predominate flavors are sour dough and raw honey. Plenty of fig and fruitcake come around as well. There is a lot of spice to this beer. Tiny, buried flashes of what could be chocolate malts fizzle and pop. The end is grassy with hints of clover and honeysuckle.

Mouthfeel
Full bodied with an average, soft carbonation. It finishes pretty dry with lingering notions of wildflower honey drizzled over sourdough bread.

Overall
This is strange. Its totally worth a try, but I'm going to have to summon some patience to finish this glass.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Malts right up front on the nose and then the honey hits you with an impression of clover. Sweet smell that includes coffee, molasses and chocolate.

Dark and opaque like a stout with some brown on the edges. A frothy cream-colored head sticks around awhile despite not being overly thick to begin with...that's due to the density.

First taste is not overly favorable due to the bitterness which is not balanced by the honey. I'll be back a few minutes after I let this warm up a bit. It is way too cold for this style.

Okay, we're back from break and the head is still standing with no loss of volume. Impressive. And the taste has indeed improved with the bitterness dropping and falling into balance with the sweetness. All that was in the smell is here as well with the addition of dark fruits that bring with them a rum-like flavor.

The perfect amount of carbonation for this style...enough to keep the honey from making the beer cloying. I'm really fond of this. It's only the second braggot I've ever had and the other one was light in color. I prefer dark beers so I there were good odds that I'd like this one better.

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a stange. Bottles 4-11-11

A - Pours a deep mahogany with a 2 finger tan head. Retention is wonderful. It dwindles down to a 1/4 finger then just stays right there. Sticky lacing. Looks wonderful!

S - Roasted malts, chocolate, hint of vanilla, dried fruit/raisins, honey. Lots going on there but its a moderate nose in strength, not overpowering at all.

T - Oh wow! This is incredible. Starts off with the dried fruit characteristics, then moves into the candy/chocolate, roasty-warm malts, slight warming alcohol. Then after the finish a twinge of what I would call a honey licorice suddenly appears. Just a wonderful mix of fun and flavors that somehow all comes together.

M - Full-bodied, rich, somewhat creamy. Very smooth. The booze is well hidden but present nonetheless. Very drinkable but its to be savored. The finish is what really blows me away. Its dry and so unique.

O - Really dug this effort from a brewery I've had nothing but good luck with. I don't know this style well I must admit but boy what a fun little beer this one is. Going to stock up tomorrow!

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

Rich and interesting flavors keep the honey from taking over the show. Brewing with honey is a real challenge and I think Weyerbacher has done a nice job with this powerful example.

Very dark amber with gold edges in the wine glass. Rather coarse foam but a pleasing carbonation in the mouth. Nice scent of honey. While it tastes somewhat syrupy the mouthfeel is not sticky. It does have a hint of the medicated cough drop, but the hops give it a sharp edge and a long hoppy bitterness. Fruitiness like dates is still there in the aftertaste.

4.55/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow. What an interesting brew. It reminds me of Midas Touch from Dogfish Head, but I like this better. It is dark but not smokey. Sweet and bitter. Boozy, but well disguised.

Mead by itself can be a bit much, but this has the blend going on and it really works, not just as a novelty. I would buy this again.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

A- Pours dark w/ a one finger chocolate head which quickly disappears. Decent lacing and carbonation. Can't see through this brew at all- very thick and dense looking.

S- Roasted malt, honey, just a hint of alcohol. Smell is a little fainter than I'd like, but it's good.

T- Whoa. Way better and more potent than the nose on this beer. I get massive malt, touch of honey, maybe some chocolate and a tiny bit of alcohol in the aftertaste. This beer is really well put together- I really like it. Never had a Braggot Ale before, but this is one tasty beer. It's also a sipper at 10.5%. Amazingly, it goes down pretty easily..

M- Very smooth w/ a slight alcohol burn on the finish. Not as thick as I would think for such a big beer, but not bad either.

O- First experience w/ a Braggot Ale, and this one is really nice. Very drinkable and smooth/balanced for a high abv beer. Highly recommended. I know I'll look for this one the next time I go beer shopping. Cheers.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A: pours a dark mahogany with two fingers of beige head that recedes into a thin cap with aa little lacing.

S: some roasted malts up front followed by a sweet chocolate aroma. A strong honey aroma(very mead-like) follows along with some alcohol aromas.

T: tastes similar to the aroma. Creamy chcolate with some smoky flavors mixed in with a thick mead-like honey flavor. There is a slight alcohol burn on the finish. The aftertaste is of smoky malts.

M: medium-thick body with light carbonation, this beer is a bit sticky feeling like a lighly-carbonated mead.

O: perhaps it's because I enjoy meads, but I liked this beer. It's like honey-filled chocolate in a glass. A bit thick and sweet, but not cloyingly so.

3.36/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- very very dark brown to black, no light at all coming through this, very light white lacing quickly fades, carbonation can not be noticed, nice appearance

Smell- very sweet malty nose, honey can be slightly noticed, raisins, rum, liquor like smell,

Taste- a very unique beer in flavor profile, its very long lasting finish, its a very rich beer and certainly very sweet, you do get some nice roasted malts and raisins and rum flavored, the flavor profile is complex and just really hard for me put a finger on, it has some hops and drying on the finish stopping it from being extremely sweet, there's something very unique and different on the finish of this beer that's hard to describe exactly almost very unique way of drying and stops from becoming to sweet,overall im struggling to say whether if really love this flavor profile or not , also a faint smokey component

mouthfeel- very light carbonation and the mouthfeel is probably about medium bodied and actually feels a little bit lighter then you would think for the high abv,

Drinkability/overall- overall this beer was decently enjoyable to drink and it did do a good job of balance in that I feel that the spice to it really did stop it from becoming to sweet and the balance made it easy to drink, the high alcohol is only noticed a little, to me the down point of this beer is the finish is a little weird not so much bad but weird, overall though not a bad beer and a first try for me of the style, I will have to try a few more and see how they hit me at different times

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Deep brownish-black with ruby highlights-close to opaque but appears mostly clear. Moderately large coffee cream colored head with good retention and some nice lacing.

Aroma-Bright honey aromatics-floral, flower nectar, lemon, orange, and sweet honeycomb. Malt has some bread and caramel character to it-smells like fresh baked sourdough with honey drizzled over it. Slight whiff of alcohol is barely perceptible.

Flavor-Bready malt and sweet honey come through immediately, though the honey lacks the fruity/citrus/floral fermentation character that came through in the nose. The finish is not exceptionally dry, but almost surprisingly dry for how sweet the beverage begins. Finishes with some roselike alcohols and toasty/bready malt flavors. The aftertaste is notably devoid of much honey flavor.

Mouthfeel-Medium full on the palate, with very low carbonation. Smooth and with only a trace of alcohol warmth.

Very tasty and great aromatics, but I can't drink too much of this one-it's just too much of that sweet honey flavor/aroma. Fortunately the finish is pretty dry, otherwise this would be cloying and impossible to drink. The alcohol is remarkably well hidden, but I find that that's often the case when honey is used as a fermentable. All in all a good beverage.

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

An interesting beer, and the first of this style I have tried as of the writing of this review. Poured into a snifter, dark cola brown, opaque (until I got near the end when light started peaking through), oily, with a thin beige head that receded to a glowing ring. Aroma of caramel malts, booze, and dark fruits. The taste starts out honey sweet, with dark dried fruits--plums, black cherries, raisins--licorice, alcohol, and popcorn; near the end, goes from spicy with hops, to bitter to very bitter, and finishes extremely dry. Full-bodied, and quite drinkable, but not for the weak of heart.

2.58/5  rDev -33.2%

A- Dark brown with a thick tan head. Head falls slowly and leaves some nice lace on the glass.

S- Sweet, honey and candied fruit dominate, caramel, and molasses are in there too.

T- Sweet almost like candy syrup, lots of fig and raisin to start things off. There is a little hint of hop bitterness in the middle and a dry finish to close things out. The finish is unusual and not all that pleasant, cloyingly sweet and with a residue of sugar on the palate.

M- Medium in body and low in carbonation, somewhat of a syrupy character to this one.

O- Honestly this in my first braggot and I’m not sure what to make of it. The 10.5% ABV is not noticeable and the appearance and smell were nice, but I’m having a hard time with the overload of super sweet syrup that makes up most of the taste. It’s improving as it warms but it’s still tough to get down.

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to my cousin for sharing this with me -poured chilled form the 12oz brown bottle chilled into a Duvel Tulip.

The color is deep brown like coffee with reddish hues and translucent clairty. The head is smooth and medium tan which settles to a ring and atoll formation with tight bead. lace is not really existent and not expected for the style so overall a really inviting looking mead/beer hybrid. The smell is sweet yet midly toasted with some floral notes from the honey and gentle alcohol overall. It is not candy-like sweet just has a nice mild honey aroma with the malty accent of medium caramel malt. not overly strong aroma for the amount of alcohol contained within. The feel is decent with some fusel alcohol, but no bitterness and smooth malt in the background giving the honey some kind of anchor and not cloying, but the feel is full and seems to finish with some warming and drying of the palate.

The taste is good with a moderate amount of malt, more honey driven flavors which are slightly sweet and fruity with a hint of raisin perhaps from the yeast and malt combination and there is a mild alcohol flavor as it finishes which gives a more fruity taste than hot or bitter end which iis very pleasant it has some candy tinges, but mostly smooth malt and honey with a generally dry tail-end, but still has some residual sugars that linger on the palate. I enjoyed an anniversary beer from weyerbacher, braggot that doesn't seem to be style that gets much attention in the beer world. The dark end of the spectrum is a type in the style I haven't seen often either, yet it was satisfying and easy to drink for the strength-I consider this a good example of the style.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a very dark, opaque brown beneath a dark tan head that is pretty dense although quickly dissolving to leave a sticky lacing behind for quite a bit.

The aromas are sweet and smoky. There are definitely caramel malt aromas that are quickly wiped out by the honey, and then followed by the smoky woodnotes, and although they are different styles, this beer is somewhat reminiscent of the XV in that regard.

The flavor immediately features the same honey as the aroma with other sweet notes, perhaps raisins? There also seems to be a sugary sweetness similar to cola as well unless my eyes are confusing my taste buds. The smoky notes come in mid-palate and then the flavor resorts back to the sweet honey, fruit, sugar, etc.

The mouthfeel is full with a fair amount of carbonation, a sweet booziness, and a drying finish.

This is a unique beer and a pleasant first experience with the style. There appears to be some traditional style elements with a new twist.

Sixteen from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.