Sixteen - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Braggot |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: silentjay on 05-24-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sixteen Alström Bros
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

950th Review on BA
Bottle to mini snifter
12 oz

Thanks to Mjtiernan for this one
Shared with BA GuruDel

App- When poured a bit darker than bottle brown but in the glass its a mix of crimsons, lighter browns and a one finger fast receding head that faded to a couple bubbles on the top of the beer.

Smell- A opening freshness of honey fresh from the hive. A little bit boozy, malty and tannin skin or citrus. Couldn't discern which one. Very sweet on the nose.

Taste- Again, I have never had a braggot similar to my previous review of a unblended lambic. I will be the first to admit I am not a big honey fan either. This one was tasty without being overbearing on the honey. At the same time, through in some manner its a bit of a peppery flavor floral flavor as well.

Mouth- A good bit of a medium creamy bodied with a matching semi bubbly carbonation. Leaves a bit of that malty, honey-esque residual flavor behind.

Drink- This to me seems a once every couple of months beer or when its cold. The honey for me just leaves too much residual flavors that I am not a fan of. A good beer to say the least but just not really for me.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Dark brown in color a slight head at the top the dissappears quickly, almost no lacing.

S - Honey, some dark roasted malts and bits of cinnamon.

T - Very sweet at first taste, just like the nose. A bit of spice and slight mix of bitterness. Very wild brew but good.

M - Heavy and syrupy, not to much carbonation

O -Not to bad for weyerbacher, to sweet for my liking.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Haven't been on here too much lately, but I feel that the bug has bitten me a bit recently, so I picked this one up the day prior to Thanksgiving. Review is from notes taken on 11/25/2011 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is a dark brown, raw honey color -- maybe I'm just thinking that though because of the honey used in the brewing process; starts with a one finger, loose, tan head that fades rather quickly to a thin and uneven skim on the surface with a few patches of thicker froth; body is dark, shows a couple of very dark ruby highlights towards the bottom of the glass;

Smell: Lots of honey, some sweet candied fruits that have a dark aspect to them (perhaps raisin or fig); slight touch of alcohol; the smell is so freaking sweet that I have to wonder if it's going to be a little sickly sweet when I taste it...

Taste: Well, it's definitely very sweet, and it's honey up front with a lot of candied and sugary dark fruit; definite warming presence of alcohol behind all the sweetness; it tastes good, but this style is not really going to fit in as my cup of tea. It's a one and done, as I believe I read in another review of the same beer, so I definitely agree with that.

Mouthfeel: Body is lively and prickly with carbonation, and just avoids being sharp; a thick, sticky and moist coating is left all over the mouth, and I feel like I'm constantly trying to clear the roof of my mouth of it, so you've gotta like that; body is of a firm medium weight, so it's nice after a good-sized meal or as a dessert.

Overall: As mentioned above, definitely not something I would want every night, as the sweetness is a bit cloying to me, not that I don't like really sweet beers, but I prefer it more from rich and thick caramel malts - this one is like honey mixed with a lot of beet sugar.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pour is dark brown with a quarter inch of light brown head, it was short lasted, doesn't leave any lacing nor halo.
S: a cross between mead, a hint of alcohol, and caramel malt.
T: mead-y but malt brings out some more caramel, and some nutty almost brown ale qualities.
M: thick and coating, a bit like mead, mead that has been lightly carbonated.
O: this has grown on me, the last braggot I had tasted was someones homebrew that was 22%abv and way too hot. This is balanced between the malt and the honey.

Out of a 12oz. bottle…

A- Dark brown with some ruby highlighting. Virtually no head, but does leave some sticky lacing down the glass.

S- Strong with candied cherries and grapes. Also smells of brown sugar, toffee, and molasses. I’m not really getting honey in the nose.

T- Wow, the sweetness is almost overwhelming at first. However, the bitterness kicks in to help balance things out. Also quite nutty in the middle with some caramel. The honey really sticks with you after the swallow. It really dominates following the swallow.

M- Medium body with carbonation just south of medium.

D- While the alcohol isn’t overbearing, the strong sweetness and overall richness of the beer make it a one bottle per sitting beer for me. Good nonetheless.

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle signed by the brewer! Served from bottle into Dogfish Head snifter. Poured a massively dark brown with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, wood,caramel, and caramel hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, caramel, wood, dark fruit, earth, and sweet alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. There was definitely quite a bit of things going on in this one. The chocolate aspect was definitely dominate in the nose of this one. The flavor had more of an earthy dominated aspect going on. Glad I got the chance to try this one at least once but doubt I would go out of my to try it again.

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Sent by seeswo during the Blind Beers BIF, this was poured into a tulip and reviewed blind.

From the bottle, the beer’s a light caramel, but it becomes a deep, clear mauve inside the glass. One finger of dense, fizzy dark tan bubbles pop away to nothingness within a few seconds.

Aroma is deep and sweet. Alcohol, caramel, some apple, toasty biscuits, sugary prunes.

The flavor’s a little less well-put-together than the nose. I get the same toasted biscuits, caramel and apple sauce, but they’re not as vibrant as in the aroma. The ethanol note is bigger here, though.

Moderate carbonation pinches the tongue and breaks the brew into just a hint of bubbles. The body’s a velvety medium. Alcohol is pretty burly, flaming through the nose as I sip.

Tasting it blind, Sixteen threw me for a loop. It’s got big booze and clean, toasty/fruity flavors that remind me of a doppelbock. A tasty brew, if not the most memorable. The bottle went quickly.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

I have to admit I was not familiar with the term Braggot. So I learned something when buying this beer/mead.

This is a dark redish brown with a finger or two of tan head. I got lots of dark fruit and malt. The honey also adds some sweetness. I got no bitterness. Mouthfeel was closer to medium rather than full.

Not a bad beer, but I wouldn't drink more than one of these in a setting.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer was served in a snifter. The beer was chilled and allowed to sit in the glass for 20 or so minutes on the counter.

A- The body of the beer is a dark amber coloration. The head is a thin sheen of white that never truly resolved.

S- The aroma of spiced raw honey, darkly toasted malts and dark fruits raisins, plums perhaps some figs, apple cider or is it pear? The aroma is a bit boozy but I dont find it problematic in the beers context.

T- The flavor is not exactly what the aroma lead me to hope for. Darkly toasted malt caramel, hard cider, raw honey, spices cinanmon, nutmeg and cloves, vanilla oak, and sweet alcohol.

M- The body of the beer is medium. The carbonation level works well with the beer and gives the beer a slick feeling. The alcohol is a little hot at this point very curious as to what a year of cellar time will do.

O- This was a very enjoyable beer. I am looking forward to a couple more bottles around Halloween.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass

A- Poured a dark brown with two finger fluffy mocha colored head. Nice mocha color ring of lace remained for most of the beer.

S- Toffee, honey, raisin, and some alcohol

T- Honey, toffee, raisin, candy sugar, breadiness, and some spice

M- Sticky, full bodied, but at 10.5% not nearly as boozy as I would expect. Very much a sipper though as you would expect.

O- I am glad I tried this beer. There was no alcohol burn or even strong alcohol taste, but the alcohol presence was definitely there. I am interested in trying other braggots now.

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at Bodega, served into a tulip.

The beer is a purplish cola color. Served with a short, dark head on it. Otherwise not all that appetizing.

Smells of honey. Lots of sweet clover notes. The alcohol is apparent on the nose, as well as some carmelized sugar.

Bitter, much more so than I'd have expected. Strong booziness. There's also sweet toffee, honey, and a minimal sour cherry flavor going on. It wasn't delicious, but of the 2 or 3 braggots I have had in my life, this is the best tasting.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

My first Braggot, this should be interesting...

A - Two fingers worth of whipped light tan colored with a large group of big chunky bubbles sitting a top... Minimal retention to start as this one starts to quickly fade before showing a bit of staying power at about a 1/2 finger and the ultimately giving way to a full, but uneven veil of lacing and a thick collar... The color is a deep dark slightly menacing brown... No real carbonation to speak of... Perhaps a slight haze...

S - The nose is rather subdued... Some honey notes... Overly ripened bananas... Very subtle dark fruit notes... Some tannins...

T - There are a lot of competing flavors going on here... Honey... Grape skins... Plums... A bit of char... There is some citrus within as well... Perhaps even some licorice notes... The alcohol is a bit noticeable on the finish...

M - On the fuller side of medium bodied... Bubbly carbonation... A bit of stickiness... The finish is slightly dry and wine like...

D - An interesting offering from the fine folks at Weyerbacher... A bit of a sipper... I'm not very familiar with the style, but this is definitely unique in comparison to the other 800+ beers I've reviewed... Not something I would highly recommend or run out and buy again, but would think this would be a nice introduction to the Braggot style...

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Ha! Braggot. Had no idea what I was buying when I picked this one up. I salute Weyerbacher's gumption.

How the heck do you even review a braggot? Guess you just kind of have to go on taste. This is smooth with honey tones clear and evident (as it should be). Malts are slightly thick with a mild spiced tone to it. This is pretty easy drinking. The alcohol would probably be getting to me if I hadn't already had a few. Unfortunately, it is a bit present on the flavor profile, which does detract.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

Tasted alongside the oak aged version. Stood up quite well, although I preferred the oak.

Deep chestnut brown, nearly opaque.

Smells of brown sugar/molasses, malty, and alcohol is detectable in the nose. Not in an off-putting way though.

Taste instantly made me think of honey, appropriately. Candi sugar, plums are there too. Slightly tart at the end. AND bread! Finally, I have detected breadiness! Maybe now I'll know for future beers.

Appropriate carbonation, but mouthfeel is a little thin for my tastes. This is made up for in the oak version.

My first braggot. Thank you Weyerbacher for introducing me to this style. I wish I could say it is a beautiful representation of a braggot, but since I haven't had others...
Either way, kudos!

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy brownish-copper color with a cream-colored head that leaves decent lacing.

Smells of grainy caramel malts with hints of toasted and roasted malts. Also present are dry honey notes and lighter amounts of raisins and dates.

Tastes less complex than it smells. Mildly dry caramel malts with hints of roastiness up front are joined quickly by large amounts of dry honey. Midway through hints of boozy raisins come into play before being pushed aside by leafy hops that fade out into a moderately bitter ending. Mouthfeel is good, with solid carbonation.

Overall I’ve had a few braggots now, but none with such a high ABV. I think the booziness takes away from the nuance brought on by the honey and this beer could benefit from some tweaking toward the lower ABV end of things.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Right away when I popped this one open I could smell lots of fresh fruit. This one pours a dark brown with a finger of bubbly light tan head. Leaves some sticky lace.

Juicy pears are the first thing I notce in the aroma. A little bit of allspice and cloves. Mostly malts on this, not really noticing any form of hops here. Kind of sweet in the aroma, I'll attriubute that to the honey. Rich on the flavors. A little sweet with molasses and sweet spices.

Very full somewhat chewy feel to this with soft carbonation.

I've never had a braggot before (at least not that I can remember). This one seems pretty well done and it's certainly enjoyable.

3.81/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Dark amber/brown with a bubbly khaki head. Decent retention and nice spotty lacing.

S: Sweet malts, honey, rasins and molasses. It has an odd metallic like smell in the background, not sure why or where that is coming from. The more I smell it the more I think its actually the alcohol

T: Sweet, but not overly sweet, but its getting to that point. Lots of honey mixed with sweet, bready malts. Raisins and plums come up near the finish.

M: Medium to fuller body. Lower carbonation. Nice and smooth feel to it.

O: It's well done for sure. Not the best drinkability and the abv is hidden pretty well.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

A: sparkling dark brown. can see light around the edges. brownish head holds up alright leaving some lacing on the way down.

S: stinks of honey. brown sugar. can sense some mint in there too. can smell a little bit of alcohol.

T: chocolate and molasses. the residual from the honey reminds me of a very dark mead. a little bit of fruitiness as well. cantaloupe? some tobacco and just a bit of smokiness in the finish. finishes sweet.

M: average carbonation on a medium body.

D: this is my first braggot (and 200th review!) and i wasnt entirely sure what to expect, but im sort of surprised how light the body is with such a big abv. maybe i just expected more of a 'syrupy' ale. makes it very easy to drink.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

On-tap at Prime 16 into its proper Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Opaque, nearly black plum-colored body with a nice 3/4" head of creamy, light-brown foam. Pretty good retention and lovely lace for a 10%+ beer. Attractive.

S: Extremely strong, sweet, fruity aroma: raisins, plums, chocolate, red wine, and spicy booze. Enjoyable.

T: Follows the nose. Sweet, fruity, spicy, and boozy. Rather vinous and chocolatey. The alcohol is noticeable, but not too oppressive. The sweetness, though, does get a touch overbearing.

M: Highly carbonated, medium body. Solid.

O: Interesting beer - it tasted much more like a Quad than a Braggot to me, as the sweetness seemed to translate more into dark fruits than pure honey. I really enjoyed getting to try it, and it's probably my favorite Braggot to date, but I don't think I'll be ordering it again - just a bit too sweet for me.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

A dark brown color with a thin tan head.
Nice aroma. Caramel, dark fruit, honey. Can detect the alcohol.
Caramel taste, dark fruit. Honey there, but the taste isn't that sweet. Alcohol noticeable.
This was a fairly nice beer. I thought it was a bit on the hot side.
I haven't had many braggots, but my benchmark is Portsmouth Brewery's Killer Bee.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a clear but very dark amber in color with some brown and ruby red highlights as well as some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has three quarters of a finger of sudsy light beige head that quickly reduces to a medium amount of very thin film spread over the surface of the beer and a thin ring of large bubbles at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of honey with some lighter notes of toasted grains/malts, dark fruits, and just a touch of alcohol. Moderate amounts of sweetness in the aroma.

T: Moderate flavors of toasted and dark roasted malts with some sweeter grains and dark fruits (raisin and plum stand out). There is a fairly strong presence of honey contributing to the overall sweetness of the beer - very light notes of Belgian yeast spicy bitterness towards the finish.

M: Medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Lightly smooth.

O: This has a flavor profile similar to a Belgian Strong Dark Ale with a touch of honey added to it...definitely an interesting brew and the alcohol is surprisingly well hidden (though starts to become a little more present as it warms). Pretty drinkable for the strength of the brew,

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance - has a good-looking dark caramel and ruby coloration. A finger of light mocha goes to a partial cover but maintains a solid collar.

Aroma - some average grainy sweetness at first, even a touch metallic. It settles to a faint grain and sweet smell. Warming begins to open up some caramel and syrupy sweetness.

Taste - grainy malty sweetness, cola and light anise flavor in support. Some fairly hot alcohol on the swallow, whew, hot stuff! The aftertaste melds the roastiness of the grain with the estery heat of the 10.5%, the best work of this high octane brew.The finish is warm for sure, but also has a nice lingering grain sweetness that isn't overly sugary or 'malt liquoresque'.

Mouthfeel - semi-big in body. A measure of smoothness, wouldn't mind a little more even. Carbonation is prickly and crisp for such a big style.

Drinkability - excellent sipper on a cold January evening, at least for the sweet tooths in the room. Should be an interesting one to age.

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a deep garnet with a finger of sticky tan head that reduces but hangs around. Beautiful color when held to the light.

The nose is pungent with dark fruit, namely apricot and raisin, sticky sweet, a little cherry acidity. No noticeable hops. They could be there, just blended completely with the malt.

First taste is very grainy, sweet from the malt but with a dry character from the the honey. Braggots have a certain flavor that escapes my descriptive powers, but I'm trying my best. The combination of lots of malt and lots of honey is very unique. The grain has a sort-of cereal characteristic but is also very complex and rich. The honey doesn't impart a ton of flavor, but adds body and slight dryness.

Very thick body, sticky sweet aftertaste, but overall is a very enjoyable experience. If you've never had a braggot before, this is a good one to try. It's a unique type of brew and I'm excited to see a good commercial rendition of one.

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

This beer pours with a hazy brown color with a head consisting of big bubbles which dissipates to a ring rather quickly. The honey is readily evident in the aroma, under that is a mild roasty nutty balance as well as a mild sweetness. The aroma is very nice. It promises a beer that is a balance of sweetness and roast and floral notes, the beer however does not quite deliver like I had hoped. The first thing I notice is that this beer seems to have a hot instead of a calm alcohol flavor. (upon opening a second bottle almost 3 months later, it doesn't seem quite so hot and has mellowed considerably) It also has a bit of the honey that the aroma promised along with some scotch ale spicy/molasses/mild dark fruit character. There also seems to be a bit of cinnamon present as the beer warms. I was hoping for a bit more of a full body to this beer, but with so much honey I guess I should not be surprised at a light mouthfeel. There is a bit of astringency which is not so great. Definitely like this beer, not 100% sure what to make of it. Unique and enjoyable, may benefit from some extra time. I'll save the other one I picked up for a year, and see how it turns out.

3.87/5  rDev +1%

a-pours a light cream colored head that quickly dissipates. has a look of a shot glass of espresso. there is a red hue to the body that you catch from different angles.
s-subtle maltiness and sweet molasses. strong odors of cherries, grapes and black currants.
t-quick touch of sweet cherries followed by touches of yeast, burnt sugar, molasses. ends with black currants and a slight touch of hops.
m-very light for how dark the beer is. there is a quick hit of carbonation in the beginning that smoothes out then leaves you with a pleasant fizziness on your tongue.
o-very good beer. this is a beer to serve with a desert or maybe even a cheese plate. whatever your pairing, this beer is meant to be sip, savored, and enjoyed!

Sixteen from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.