Idiot's Drool - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

poor

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.
to view more.
Ratings: 136 | Reviews: 48
Reviews by jpmclaug:
3.62/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml corked and caged bottle courtesy of Soonami. Served in a tulip. Pours a dull, plum-colored hue somewhat akin to muddy water. Clarity is fairly murky and there is no head or lacing. I have to say that I dig the nose on this beer - tobacco, vanilla, leather and cider vinegar notes. Taste follows nose; however, there are also some caramel/toffee and coffee notes. The vinegar present in the nose insinuates itself throughout the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with absolutely no carbonation. There is some acidity; not at all overpowering, but definitely tickles the salivary glands a bit. Overall, I don't understand all the hate on this beer. It is definitely not what I would consider an Old Ale, perhaps closer to a dark sour. That said my rating is more to taste than style on this review. I think a little carbonation might have helped dissipate some of the intensity of this beer; however, it's definitely not deserving of all negativity in my opinion. If you don't want your bottles, send them my way.

3.58/5  rDev +37.7%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a reddish color with a tan head. The aroma ha a ton of brown sugar and cherry notes, as well as a good dose of vinegar. The flavor is very similar. There is a lot of acidic vinegar, as well as some toffee and sweetness from the brown sugar. I also get a little bit of cherry, plum and other dark fruit notes. There are also hints of sherry and leather in the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.82/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Hazy reddish-brown with a weak head.
Strong unattractive aroma much like a few other old ales, if a bit stronger.
Very low carbonation. Medium-full body.
O: recommended only for fans of the style.

3.36/5  rDev +29.2%

Tasted at the release and from one of my bottles. Well I can say I never tasted a beer like this. Zero head, many smells hit the nose. It is a lot to take in all at once. At this point I was not quite sure what was going on. The many flavors will hit you hard and keep coming. Overall after tasting I would say give this a try if you can get some. It is a one of a kind beer tasting experience. Still not sure if like it, but I did enjoy trying to figure this one out. When I drink some more I will update, if I can..

4.69/5  rDev +80.4%

Shared with DaveHS, thanks buddy.

A: Pours a beautiful brown with burgundy and cherry undertones. Very little to no carbonation but it doesn't seem to affect the overall experience.

S: Smells incredible with notes of stewed fruits, brandy, bread pudding and sour cherries. Some of the best aromas I've ever inhaled.

T: Amazing balance of sweet and sour flavors. A hint of sour cherries and acidity on the front. Rich flavors of toffee, carrot cake, vanilla and pomegranate on the mid-palate. Finishes bright and tart with all the flavors melting together beautifully.

M: Low carbonation takes away from the mouthfeel a little but the texture of the oak barrels adds a nice depth, making it quite enjoyable.

O: Overall this was an incredible beer that I really never thought I'd get to try. Highly recommended if you can ever get your hands on one.

2.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Shared by a kind young lady at The Trappe Door while hanging out at the bar. Served from bottle into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky brown with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, subtle oxidation, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall I wasn't really impressed with this one. There was just something that was very off-putting about this one that did not agree with my palate. I was excited to see this one come out to be shared, but once I smelled and tasted it I was regretting that I volunteered to try this one. But hey, tickers gonna tick. Worth trying if it is given to you, but I wouldn't personally buy it myself.

750ml
If you can take a sip of this beer with a smile on your face, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and go into deep thought about the contents in this bottle, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and actually ponder anything in general about this absolute slop in the bottle, I admire you. This is, hands down the worst ?beer? I’ve ever had.

Pours SLIMEY thick, bad thick, with funk, gelatinous funk, gross funk, made me think to myself, damn this is some gross ass funk. Flat, gross, slimey, made me make the "eeek" face while looking @ it pour and while sitting in the glass. I think this would make Andrew Zimmern cringe if he drank.

Smell is straight up side salad with balsamic vinegar that has been sitting in the diner refrigerator case for 4 1/2 years only to be served up to you in a bottled, liquid formation. Sour, oxidized, soy sauce, non-appetizing, spoiled, and quoting an earlier explanation from someone; "dumpster water". I like that one, suits it well.

Taste, forget about it. One sip is all it took for that 750 & pour to go straight down the pipes. No need to continue, read smell if assistance is needed here.

Overall I was a fool caught up in the early winter hype of this release and never looked back into reviews before trading for this. Shame on me as I am the "idiot" here. Glad I didn't make the release and end up with a case of this crap though. Totally disappointed with Weyerbacher (as I often praise their beers) on this as I feel it should've never made it to the bottle being such a rancid beverage. @ least change the description from Old Ale to something more fitting possibly? I felt kind of mislead, the whole 4 1/2 year Barrel Aged Old Ale & or Barleywine kind of got my juices flowing. This was far off from what I expected and did not take into account that a Barrel Aged Old Ale should taste anything like this.

Cheers

1.26/5  rDev -51.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

The smell was the first sign of staying away.... The idea sounds good on paper I guess (blithering idiot aged in oak bourbon barrels with Brettanomyces for three ears) but! the mouth feel was similar too sour milk and the taste was just off. Two sips and I have had enough. I love everything Weyerbacher does and I have a hard time saying anythig negative about beer but, a review was required to submit my rating. Think of this as a mistake or a beer gone bad.

4.1/5  rDev +57.7%

One of the bottles I picked up from the release party. Poured into a snifter and split two ways.

The pour yields a pond-water flat liquid that is viscous, thick, garnet-brown in color. A swirl produces a slick oily film on the walls of the glass. There doesn't seem to be much residual sugar left in this, as there are no legs.

The aroma is deep and complex. It has sherry-like qualities; no surprise that it is slightly oxidized given the 4 years that it spent in oak barrels that are not impervious to oxygen. Luckily, this isn't the cardboard oxidation, so it actually goes well, as I will describe. The nose is mainly raisins and dates up front, which then give way to tart cherries, toffee, caramel, and light bourbon/vanilla notes.

The flavor is similarly well-balanced, and it adds a touch of bretty funk to the overall profile. Like Ray Daniels suggests, this Old Ale has some bretty notes that harken back to the old ales originally brewed in England over 100 years ago. A fitting accompaniment to Weyerbacher's English-style barleywine base. The components of the aroma that I had mentioned are all evident here, and they are also joined by some leathery notes (a la HotD Adam, though not as intense) that really deepen the complexity of this aged brew. At 12% ABV, you would never know until it starts to hit you. Not hot, not warm, not nothing. This is extremely mellow and smooth.

Thick and viscous, but not nearly carbonated enough, even for a barleywine. Even with the brett, this still has plenty of body to it. Since they got 1 of 2 criteria, I figure this is pretty average. There is a little bit of dissolved CO2 that gives it a little less of a one-note texture, but not enough at all.

Overall, this is a very interesting and compelling beer. Not what I was expecting, that's for sure, but looking at things historically as well as flavor-wise, this beer is certainly a winner. I love the mellow notes of barrels that meld so well with the base beer. The bretty wildness is a welcome addition, as it is done tastefully enough to just augment the overall experience.

2.06/5  rDev -20.8%

Free samples were being poured at the release by Weyerbacher. Even though I was shut out of getting my allotment, I still was able to sample a few times. Poured into a sampler glass.

A: Mahogany brown colored body with absolutely no head, lace or retention of any kind. These were being poured and placed on the table so by the time I got it, anything that was there would have settled out. Bleak looking.

S: Rich dark cherries, sweet maple syrup, a bit of funky brett and a robust caramel malt base. The oak wood really opens up towards the back end of the aroma bringing in a hint of an alcohol note with it.

T: Whoa, that is unlike anything I've had before. At first, there's a very sweet maple syrup flavor along with some great wood notes and bourbon. End of the palate brings in a bit of tartness and funk with a black cherry fruity element. Brown sugar is in the finish.

M: Really no carbonation, thick and syrupy. I would like more carbonation although the syrupy texture of this beer is different.

Honestly, there's nothing like this beer out there that I've ever tried before. The combination of flavors is very unique, glad I was able to try but not worth the money.

1.3/5  rDev -50%

Poured from the bottle into my pour Hunahpu's snifter.

Appearance: Pours a murky reddish brown with a bright red hue when the light hits the pour. There is a layer of off white head that goes away completely. This is the only thing remotely okay about this beer.

Smell: Worst...smelling...beer..ever! Malt sweetness with a gross sourness and some baby puke.

Taste: Not much better than the smell. Reminds me of a flanders red aged in a dumpster in summer. Tart red berries, some vinegar, and hot garbage. Terrible.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with extremely mild carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I would have been ashamed to charge people money for this beer. After trying this, it should have gone down the drain and never been spoken of again. Just awful. I almost threw up the morning after the tasting when I poured it down the drain.

2.58/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes taken at Denver Rare Beer Tasting 2011.

2.61/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Edit: After revisiting this a couple times, it has gotten worse and is now virtually undrinkable...

Pours a dark hazy muddy brown color with zero head. Attempts to swirl and induce any head is futile; very minimal spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with dark dark fruits, leather, oak and light light bourbon. As it warms more you get apple skin and vinous grape notes. Some sherry/light oxidation notes are also present. Really complex...

The tastes begin quite tart surprisingly. Dark dark fruits, booze soaked dark toasted bread, sour cherry and vinous dry soaked oak. As I further sample I get more complex flavors of leather, Brett barnyard funk/mustiness and some pitted stone fruits. Once again really complex and different than anything I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with zero carbonation, which I usually hate but I don't mind it here. Finish is super dry and oaky which is expected for 4 years of barrel aging.

Overall I am really pleased with this beer. As others have stated, you will either love it or hate it. I'm on the side that is a big fan. Hopefully over the next year or so the bottle conditioning will up the carbonation a tad to add to the only downside this beer currently has. I imagine this is how many beers used to be back in ancient brewing times with lots of oak character and slight Brett flavors. Complex and recommended in my opinion; maybe not worth the original elevated price tag but still tasty and worth a go if you don't have to give up a king's ransom for it.

3.5/5  rDev +34.6%

Pours a murky brown liquid that looks viscous. Sort of cloudy with minimal to no head. Smell is rich malt with lots of bourbon oak and a mild twang. Sweet with a hint of tart. Taste is immensely complex beginning with rich malt bourbon oak vanilla then a twang of tartness with a tannic biting finish. Overall sweet but the tartness is a wonderful component . Almost liquid bourbon barrel at some points. The mouth feel is rich and full body with minimal carbonation allowing the liquid to coat your tongue. It was a pleasure to enjoy a bottle on a cold winter's eve. If you don’t like it and have more bottles hit me up!

1.32/5  rDev -49.2%

From 750mL C&C bottle to snifter on 2/4/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, John (not really, though) --

A: I can't say I've ever seen a beer that looks like human feces. Until now, at least. A firm pour yields no head, no lacing, no collar, no nothin'.

S: When colder, the nose is actually somewhat pleasant. Hints of bourbon and that "Old Ale" sweetness come through nicely. As it warms though, there's a rancid, rotting quality to it that makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

T: I think the vomit in my mouth tasted better than the beer. This abomination tastes like metallic, lactic asshole and unwashed taint. Simply and unapologetically disgusting.

M: A flat, thin and uncarbonated mess.

O: Easily one of the worst two or three beers - no wait - liquids I've ever put into my mouth. It upsets me greatly that the good folks at Weyerbacher charged people for this, knowing full well that this was epically terrible.

I'll tell you this: Idiot's Drool will go down in history as THE epic beer fail of the 21st century. Years from now, it will be hunted down with fervor by those seeking to punish their palates. Sam Adams Triple Bock and Cave Creek Chili Beer better watch out, as this is soon to be (if not already) the dirty, unwiped asshole of the beer world.

Bottle I got in a trade with murchmac.

A-Pours hazy, murky brown with no head to speak of, just a thin, off white ring of tiny bubbles.

S-Plenty of brettanomyces influence here. Sherry, balsamic vinegar, bready funk, fruit cake, bourbon. Smells like a super oxidized barley wine, which is what it is, I guess.

T/M-Sharp, vinous acidity cuts through the otherwise soft, inviting bourbony caramel and oak sweetness. Bread pudding and burnt brown sugar clashes with vinegary tartness.

O-Ultimately, I like it. And I respect the hell out of Weyerbacher for committing to this project. Not their best, but a very interesting beer worth trying. Split it with a few people, a whole bottle might be too much for one sitting.

1.53/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to yourefragile for sharing this at last night's tasting. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours nearly flat. Reddish-brown color and a few bubbles after some heavy swirling. The nose is pretty bad, smelling like dirty socks with a bit of vinegar. White-Birch level right here. Very unfortunately. The flavor has light cherry and some vinegar-like sourness. Touch of oak. Medium flat body. Not a fan at all. Not good.

1.89/5  rDev -27.3%

A - Brown colored beer, pretty dark. There was a slight, brown head on there that didn't stay for long and left nothing on the sides.

S - Kind of an odd smell on the nose. Brown sugar, some barrel, apples. The worst is just this kind of wet-dog smell at the end. Not sure what is making that happen but it's not a good thing.

T - Think of pond water and wet dog. That's the back end of this. The beginning of the taste was somewhat better, with some brown sugar, apples, some brett. There is a lot or barrel characteristic, I guess, but the horrible flavors really obliterate any redeeming characteristics this beer had. I don't know how it got all these high reviews, this is atrocious.

M - Kind of flat, not really adding to the rotten taste. Full bodied.

O - Not a good beer, mostly hated it, and only drank enough to review before pouring the rest down the drain. Massively disappointing. I'm assuming they left this in the barrel for 4.5 years because it was just awful and they were hoping it would get better. Nope.

1.05/5  rDev -59.6%

Shared by joey5cents-- he got this courtesy of agentzero.

Wow.
This smells and looks like a cup of spit that belongs to a ball-player with a big mouthfull of chewing tobacco.

Sweaty gym socks.
Puréed black cherries and chewing tobacco spit.
Boozy leather, like the saddle the morning after the horse was on a bender.
Musty. And NOT in a good way.
Pure liquid misery.
Liquified vegetables blended into a bloody Mary.

There is no carbonation-- and this beer suffers from it. Oily and slick, almost slimy. This is like something Neville Longbottom made in Potions Class.

Overall-- seriously? I don't think the brewers were sampling this beer at all as time progressed. I think they forgot about it, and the barrel was sitting next to the furnace or on top of a radiator for 4 years. There is NO WAY this is intentional-- and if it is, Weyerbacher is composed of a bunch of gluttons for punishment.

1.41/5  rDev -45.8%

Bottle shared by Richard. Thanks?

The pour is a murky mahogany color with sort of a small off-white head. Wow, what an aroma. Cheese, vinegar, and soy sauce are among the strongest aromas. A bit of liquor and booze, maybe some oak, definitely some oxidation and leather. The flavor is just bad. Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, bad chocolate, and vinegar. Definitely salty with some almost cauliflower taste. God, what is this? Medium bodied with low carbonation.

2.56/5  rDev -1.5%

Tasted blind courtesy of Retail1LO, thanks again!

Corked and caged 750 bottle, opens with no pop. Pours a murky brown color with no head, is this flat? Hope not.

Aromas are very nutty, boozy, with sweet stewed fruits, and brown sugar notes.

Taste is really sweet, with some raisin notes. Some general booziness, sharp vinegar, light vanilla, and nuttiness. Beer is flavorful, but the finish is flat, with a bit of alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied, but really lacks carbonation, and is almost flat.

Overall, unfortunately this beer is flawed, it's too sweet, infected, and is very low carbonated. Too bad too, because it actually tastes and smells like this could have been good but something went wrong here.

One last note, I think my review is being kind. Because the more I drink this, the more I dislike it. This is definitely a miss, and I might not drink the whole bottle. (edit : more than half the bottle was consumed by the drain, hope it liked this more than I did)

1.15/5  rDev -55.8%

Thanks to Adam H at his birthday tasting.

This one didn't make a sound on opening and all of us got worried at that. In theory this is an interesting beer, a big barrel aged barleywine with brett.

It pours a muddy amber with no head or lace of any kind. Our bottle was flat. On the nose there is a mixture of vanilla, oak, rum-soaked figs, and a slight funk. The nose is actually alright but it lacks power due to lack of carbonation. In the mouth the beer falls completely apart. There are hints here and there of barrel, dark fruit, and some brett characteristics, but no carbonation at all holding it together. I'm not sure how well those flavors would have melded anyway, but I really would have liked to have found out honestly rather than being forced to assume that they don't work at all. The mouthfeel was sticky and completely flat.

Overall, as one of us said, "this is a failure." It is an interesting idea for certain, and I would not balk at the opportunity to try it again, but I cannot recommend it at all based on the flat bottle that six of us drainpoured.

EDIT - This beer has become a legend of our tasting group. Those of us who had it talk about it like Walter Sobchak talks about Vietnam. Our best guess is that they brewed some Blithering Idiot, it got infected a bit, and rather than dumping, they decided to age it in bourbon barrels to see if anything could be made of it. Four and a half years later they finally had to cut bait, and instead of doing the honorable thing and dumping this stuff down a deep hole, they foisted on a bunch of us idiots who paid $23 a bottle for it.

1.66/5  rDev -36.2%

thanks damico for the swap. anxious (more in the nervous way) to try this one. poured into a duck rabbit snifter.

a - cork came out with no pop. a hard pour yields no head an no carbonation. this thing is flat and doesn't look promising. old ale coloring of deep brown with a reddish tint to the light, but there is simply no life in this beer.

s - boozy nutmeg. dark fruits. some cherry. did i mention heat?

t - wow, sludgy. i took a big gulp and that was a mistake. a bit of sourness with old ale flavors deep under lots of booze. sadly this is not good. had there been some carbonation this could've been not too bad...but the sludgy thickness and flatness make this worse than discovering an unfinished beer in the morning and deciding to give it a whirl. like a shitty wine.

m - my mouth feels like it is not looking happy.

o - overall i went into this with an open mind, but sadly i am unable to get through a pour of this. it is flat. it is boozy and sludgy. if just taste like a beer that has gone bad. like a growler that wasn't opened even close to fresh. the flavoring isn't great, but the flatness makes it undrinkable. i could potentially make it through a glass of this if i sipped it all night (like a poorly made mixed drink or liquor)...but why do that? hello drain...here i come.

2.99/5  rDev +15%

Well here it is. Idiot's Drool. Lets see what all the ugly noise is about.

A- Brew pours out with no head whatsoever. Its a plum color, with a little bit of reddish hues. Brew looks very still, no carbonation at all.

S- Smells of leather, dark fruits, plums and sour cherry pits. A little bit of soy sauce. Theres a scent my novice nose would clasify as "wine like" but it must be the sherry the brewers describe. Not horrible, but different.

T- Well, this is definitely different. Its very sweet upfront, cherries and plum fruitiness. Theres a bit of sourness her too. However, the booze in here is way too strong. Not masked at all, don't know if the oxidation did this or obnoxius 4.5 years in a barrel. There is a decent aftertaste of caramel and toffee that maybe ups the flavor by .5.

M- Medium to full bodied brew with NO carbonation. Heat in the mouth from the booze.

O- Is this an amazing barrel aged old ale dosed with brett whale that everyone should be after? No...but is it a beer that deserves to be trashed and rated lower than a macro? No. This beer is certainly different and I respect Weyerbacher for taking the risks they do and pushing the boundaries of brewing. May be for some and not for others. Wish I didn't pay as much as I did though damnit!!

3.36/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into NB snifter. Bottle thanks to StormKing47. Cheers Josh.

A: Pours a thick syrupy hazy brownish-red color with no life to it (no head or bubbles at all). Sits still in the glass.
S: Sharp tart cherry vinegar, dry gritty barrel, maybe a hint of soy or Worcestershire, booze, and faintly sweet caramel and leather. Honestly, while I’m not loving the smell it’s not as bad as I was expecting given some of the colorful descriptions in the other reviews, although it definitely gets pretty sharp as it warms. Reminds me of some of the Bruery’s beers :o
T: Follows the nose with dominating flavors of sour black cherries, sweet syrupy caramel, toffee, tannic barrel, mild chocolate, and tons of leather. The finish is drying and gritty and the aftertaste is lightly sweet and full of dark fruits and a hint of soy sauce. Red berry jam, raisins, lemon pith, faint brandy, and balsamic vinegar come through as it warms. Actually pretty darn complex. Tastes like a sour cherry old ale.
M: One of the most thick and syrupy beers I’ve had. Sits very heavy and viscous in my mouth. Extremely low carbonation, almost none. Almost gritty mouthfeel.
O: Shit, did I like this beer?! While not amazing I thought it was pretty drinkable – definitely not a drain pour. Aged old ale flavors are easy to pick out, gritty sour cherry is easy to pick out, booze barrel is mellow and sweet. I bet if this was stupid-hyped from a high profile brewery people would think it was Jesus tears. Thanks for the bottle Josh.

to view more.
Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.