Idiot's Drool - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

poor

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  12.00% ABV

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.

(Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011)
Reviews by jpmclaug:

3.6/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml corked and caged bottle courtesy of Soonami. Served in a tulip. Pours a dull, plum-colored hue somewhat akin to muddy water. Clarity is fairly murky and there is no head or lacing. I have to say that I dig the nose on this beer - tobacco, vanilla, leather and cider vinegar notes. Taste follows nose; however, there are also some caramel/toffee and coffee notes. The vinegar present in the nose insinuates itself throughout the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with absolutely no carbonation. There is some acidity; not at all overpowering, but definitely tickles the salivary glands a bit. Overall, I don't understand all the hate on this beer. It is definitely not what I would consider an Old Ale, perhaps closer to a dark sour. That said my rating is more to taste than style on this review. I think a little carbonation might have helped dissipate some of the intensity of this beer; however, it's definitely not deserving of all negativity in my opinion. If you don't want your bottles, send them my way.

3.58/5  rDev +37.2%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a reddish color with a tan head. The aroma ha a ton of brown sugar and cherry notes, as well as a good dose of vinegar. The flavor is very similar. There is a lot of acidic vinegar, as well as some toffee and sweetness from the brown sugar. I also get a little bit of cherry, plum and other dark fruit notes. There are also hints of sherry and leather in the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev +24.5%

3.25/5  rDev +24.5%

2.75/5  rDev +5.4%

3.35/5  rDev +28.4%

Tasted at the release and from one of my bottles. Well I can say I never tasted a beer like this. Zero head, many smells hit the nose. It is a lot to take in all at once. At this point I was not quite sure what was going on. The many flavors will hit you hard and keep coming. Overall after tasting I would say give this a try if you can get some. It is a one of a kind beer tasting experience. Still not sure if like it, but I did enjoy trying to figure this one out. When I drink some more I will update, if I can..

1.5/5  rDev -42.5%

4.7/5  rDev +80.1%

Shared with DaveHS, thanks buddy.

A: Pours a beautiful brown with burgundy and cherry undertones. Very little to no carbonation but it doesn't seem to affect the overall experience.

S: Smells incredible with notes of stewed fruits, brandy, bread pudding and sour cherries. Some of the best aromas I've ever inhaled.

T: Amazing balance of sweet and sour flavors. A hint of sour cherries and acidity on the front. Rich flavors of toffee, carrot cake, vanilla and pomegranate on the mid-palate. Finishes bright and tart with all the flavors melting together beautifully.

M: Low carbonation takes away from the mouthfeel a little but the texture of the oak barrels adds a nice depth, making it quite enjoyable.

O: Overall this was an incredible beer that I really never thought I'd get to try. Highly recommended if you can ever get your hands on one.

2.68/5  rDev +2.7%

Shared by a kind young lady at The Trappe Door while hanging out at the bar. Served from bottle into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky brown with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, subtle oxidation, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall I wasn't really impressed with this one. There was just something that was very off-putting about this one that did not agree with my palate. I was excited to see this one come out to be shared, but once I smelled and tasted it I was regretting that I volunteered to try this one. But hey, tickers gonna tick. Worth trying if it is given to you, but I wouldn't personally buy it myself.

2.75/5  rDev +5.4%

750ml
If you can take a sip of this beer with a smile on your face, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and go into deep thought about the contents in this bottle, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and actually ponder anything in general about this absolute slop in the bottle, I admire you. This is, hands down the worst ?beer? I’ve ever had.

Pours SLIMEY thick, bad thick, with funk, gelatinous funk, gross funk, made me think to myself, damn this is some gross ass funk. Flat, gross, slimey, made me make the "eeek" face while looking @ it pour and while sitting in the glass. I think this would make Andrew Zimmern cringe if he drank.

Smell is straight up side salad with balsamic vinegar that has been sitting in the diner refrigerator case for 4 1/2 years only to be served up to you in a bottled, liquid formation. Sour, oxidized, soy sauce, non-appetizing, spoiled, and quoting an earlier explanation from someone; "dumpster water". I like that one, suits it well.

Taste, forget about it. One sip is all it took for that 750 & pour to go straight down the pipes. No need to continue, read smell if assistance is needed here.

Overall I was a fool caught up in the early winter hype of this release and never looked back into reviews before trading for this. Shame on me as I am the "idiot" here. Glad I didn't make the release and end up with a case of this crap though. Totally disappointed with Weyerbacher (as I often praise their beers) on this as I feel it should've never made it to the bottle being such a rancid beverage. @ least change the description from Old Ale to something more fitting possibly? I felt kind of mislead, the whole 4 1/2 year Barrel Aged Old Ale & or Barleywine kind of got my juices flowing. This was far off from what I expected and did not take into account that a Barrel Aged Old Ale should taste anything like this.

Cheers

2.5/5  rDev -4.2%

4.13/5  rDev +58.2%

One of the bottles I picked up from the release party. Poured into a snifter and split two ways.

The pour yields a pond-water flat liquid that is viscous, thick, garnet-brown in color. A swirl produces a slick oily film on the walls of the glass. There doesn't seem to be much residual sugar left in this, as there are no legs.

The aroma is deep and complex. It has sherry-like qualities; no surprise that it is slightly oxidized given the 4 years that it spent in oak barrels that are not impervious to oxygen. Luckily, this isn't the cardboard oxidation, so it actually goes well, as I will describe. The nose is mainly raisins and dates up front, which then give way to tart cherries, toffee, caramel, and light bourbon/vanilla notes.

The flavor is similarly well-balanced, and it adds a touch of bretty funk to the overall profile. Like Ray Daniels suggests, this Old Ale has some bretty notes that harken back to the old ales originally brewed in England over 100 years ago. A fitting accompaniment to Weyerbacher's English-style barleywine base. The components of the aroma that I had mentioned are all evident here, and they are also joined by some leathery notes (a la HotD Adam, though not as intense) that really deepen the complexity of this aged brew. At 12% ABV, you would never know until it starts to hit you. Not hot, not warm, not nothing. This is extremely mellow and smooth.

Thick and viscous, but not nearly carbonated enough, even for a barleywine. Even with the brett, this still has plenty of body to it. Since they got 1 of 2 criteria, I figure this is pretty average. There is a little bit of dissolved CO2 that gives it a little less of a one-note texture, but not enough at all.

Overall, this is a very interesting and compelling beer. Not what I was expecting, that's for sure, but looking at things historically as well as flavor-wise, this beer is certainly a winner. I love the mellow notes of barrels that meld so well with the base beer. The bretty wildness is a welcome addition, as it is done tastefully enough to just augment the overall experience.

1.75/5  rDev -33%

2.05/5  rDev -21.5%

Free samples were being poured at the release by Weyerbacher. Even though I was shut out of getting my allotment, I still was able to sample a few times. Poured into a sampler glass.

A: Mahogany brown colored body with absolutely no head, lace or retention of any kind. These were being poured and placed on the table so by the time I got it, anything that was there would have settled out. Bleak looking.

S: Rich dark cherries, sweet maple syrup, a bit of funky brett and a robust caramel malt base. The oak wood really opens up towards the back end of the aroma bringing in a hint of an alcohol note with it.

T: Whoa, that is unlike anything I've had before. At first, there's a very sweet maple syrup flavor along with some great wood notes and bourbon. End of the palate brings in a bit of tartness and funk with a black cherry fruity element. Brown sugar is in the finish.

M: Really no carbonation, thick and syrupy. I would like more carbonation although the syrupy texture of this beer is different.

Honestly, there's nothing like this beer out there that I've ever tried before. The combination of flavors is very unique, glad I was able to try but not worth the money.

Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.