Idiot's Drool - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

poor

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  12.00% ABV

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.

(Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Delaware

11-18-2011 01:23:51 | More by BeerThursdays
haazer

2.98/5  rDev +15.1%

Well here it is. Idiot's Drool. Lets see what all the ugly noise is about.

A- Brew pours out with no head whatsoever. Its a plum color, with a little bit of reddish hues. Brew looks very still, no carbonation at all.

S- Smells of leather, dark fruits, plums and sour cherry pits. A little bit of soy sauce. Theres a scent my novice nose would clasify as "wine like" but it must be the sherry the brewers describe. Not horrible, but different.

T- Well, this is definitely different. Its very sweet upfront, cherries and plum fruitiness. Theres a bit of sourness her too. However, the booze in here is way too strong. Not masked at all, don't know if the oxidation did this or obnoxius 4.5 years in a barrel. There is a decent aftertaste of caramel and toffee that maybe ups the flavor by .5.

M- Medium to full bodied brew with NO carbonation. Heat in the mouth from the booze.

O- Is this an amazing barrel aged old ale dosed with brett whale that everyone should be after? No...but is it a beer that deserves to be trashed and rated lower than a macro? No. This beer is certainly different and I respect Weyerbacher for taking the risks they do and pushing the boundaries of brewing. May be for some and not for others. Wish I didn't pay as much as I did though damnit!!

01-29-2012 04:23:20 | More by haazer
Slatetank

2.93/5  rDev +13.1%

I had this courtesty of stakem, enjoyed from a tulip chilled.

The color is murkey brown with turbid clarity and no head, however some 'legs' appear when swirled. The smell is very tart, raisiny with dried fruit the dominant aroma and a subtle caramel/toffee secondary smell. The feel is very acidic, tannin and sharp up front with a lot of residual sweetness giving a full impression on the palate with warmth of alcohol making this a challenge.

The taste is very different than I expected yet has a deep maltiness which is twisted by the brettanomyces in a way the turns the sweet toffee into a raisin flavor that is very tangy and acidic, the malt seems to be sticky and sugary on the palate with a high amount of alcohol warmth in the finish. Overall I enjoyed the chance to try this however it is not a beer that I would seek out. The alcohol strength combined with the raisiny sour flavor is hard to stomach more than a glass of. I was glad I had my brother to share this with.

01-30-2012 14:57:34 | More by Slatetank

10-14-2013 09:20:30 | More by zestar
thagr81us

South Carolina

2.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Shared by a kind young lady at The Trappe Door while hanging out at the bar. Served from bottle into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky brown with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, subtle oxidation, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall I wasn't really impressed with this one. There was just something that was very off-putting about this one that did not agree with my palate. I was excited to see this one come out to be shared, but once I smelled and tasted it I was regretting that I volunteered to try this one. But hey, tickers gonna tick. Worth trying if it is given to you, but I wouldn't personally buy it myself.

01-07-2012 16:39:01 | More by thagr81us
claspada

2.64/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Edit: After revisiting this a couple times, it has gotten worse and is now virtually undrinkable...

Pours a dark hazy muddy brown color with zero head. Attempts to swirl and induce any head is futile; very minimal spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with dark dark fruits, leather, oak and light light bourbon. As it warms more you get apple skin and vinous grape notes. Some sherry/light oxidation notes are also present. Really complex...

The tastes begin quite tart surprisingly. Dark dark fruits, booze soaked dark toasted bread, sour cherry and vinous dry soaked oak. As I further sample I get more complex flavors of leather, Brett barnyard funk/mustiness and some pitted stone fruits. Once again really complex and different than anything I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with zero carbonation, which I usually hate but I don't mind it here. Finish is super dry and oaky which is expected for 4 years of barrel aging.

Overall I am really pleased with this beer. As others have stated, you will either love it or hate it. I'm on the side that is a big fan. Hopefully over the next year or so the bottle conditioning will up the carbonation a tad to add to the only downside this beer currently has. I imagine this is how many beers used to be back in ancient brewing times with lots of oak character and slight Brett flavors. Complex and recommended in my opinion; maybe not worth the original elevated price tag but still tasty and worth a go if you don't have to give up a king's ransom for it.

12-27-2011 01:55:54 | More by claspada
drabmuh

Maryland

2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle shared by yourefragile, not good but not as bad as people are saying it is. Until recently I had never had blithering idiot, at least I know what the base beer tasted like before I had this one.

Beer is brown and still, mostly, a hard swirl awakens some carbonation, a wispy tan head, no lacing, no retention.

Aroma is weird, it is strong, malty, a little brett and some oaky spirits, I think the oak/spirits wins here.

Beer is medium in body, very strong in flavor, hot on the back end and thins out to nearly nothing, the brett is lost in here to me, maybe my palate was wrecked by this point but who cares, some acetic / vinegar character a little harsh. not a great beer. Some enjoy it though.

02-17-2012 21:28:08 | More by drabmuh
flexabull

2.53/5  rDev -2.3%

Tasted blind courtesy of Retail1LO, thanks again!

Corked and caged 750 bottle, opens with no pop. Pours a murky brown color with no head, is this flat? Hope not.

Aromas are very nutty, boozy, with sweet stewed fruits, and brown sugar notes.

Taste is really sweet, with some raisin notes. Some general booziness, sharp vinegar, light vanilla, and nuttiness. Beer is flavorful, but the finish is flat, with a bit of alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied, but really lacks carbonation, and is almost flat.

Overall, unfortunately this beer is flawed, it's too sweet, infected, and is very low carbonated. Too bad too, because it actually tastes and smells like this could have been good but something went wrong here.

One last note, I think my review is being kind. Because the more I drink this, the more I dislike it. This is definitely a miss, and I might not drink the whole bottle. (edit : more than half the bottle was consumed by the drain, hope it liked this more than I did)

01-03-2012 02:16:03 | More by flexabull
DrBier

12-28-2011 01:31:13 | More by DrBier
sideshowe

01-30-2012 13:26:05 | More by sideshowe
JAXSON

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle thanks to Lauren. Pours a dark murky crimson with a very slowly advancing ring of bubbles, fighting their way upward through a thick, dark swamp. Nose is a strange collage of burnt brown sugar, leather, fermented apples, sweaty socks. Thick flavor profile of massive, wet barrel, wet leather, caramelized brown sugar, finish is all fermented apple and sour cherry. Heavy and kind of oppressive, major alcohol heat on the finish.

To my friend this was disgusting throughout, though I can see the merit in it to an extent. That being said, it's a mish-mash of flavors and styles that aren't very harmonious or pleasant on any level. I'm pretty surprised at how much the brett influenced this. It reminds me of McKenzie's barrel work from 2009-2010. If you like massive barrel influence and slightly sour old ales with burning alcohol heat throughout, seek this out immediately.

11-27-2011 01:33:39 | More by JAXSON

11-18-2011 16:03:25 | More by jlenik
THECPJ

Delaware

08-17-2013 01:59:14 | More by THECPJ
Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.