Idiot's Drool - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

poor

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 134 | Reviews: 47
3.07/5  rDev +18.1%

750ml corked and caged brew I picked up at the release. The recent discussion over how horrible of a beer this was had me anxious to open one since I enjoyed it at the release. The cork comes out without much excitement. A pour into a wine glass doesn't reveal much. This brew is almost still except for a few bubbles that come out of solution as it is swirled. No head formation, no lacing effect to be seen. The brew looks like chew spit, it is brown and very clouded. Through the body it has a reddish brown tint to it and around the edges it is more of a lighter brown.

The aroma is a mixture of toffee and brown sugar initially that gives way to some tangy, fruity and wild brett notes. More whiffs of this brew bring out a balsamic vinegar aspect that increases the tangy portion of this brew's nose. More sniffs bring out a cooked vegetable aspect and a tingle of alcohol runs through. As the brew goes beyond ideal, some oxidative quality shines through the sweetness and tangy aspects of the nose.

The taste is all over the place. It has quite a bit of residual sweetness that tastes of molasses, brown sugar, toffee and caramel. However there is an immediate tartness that brings out fruited quality along with tangy alcohol. All throughout the profile are flavors of old wood that reveals a mild astringency that pricks the tongue and gets exaggerated by the alcohol. The aftertaste includes some earth and and mild tobacco. As the brew gets warmer, it really starts to show levels of oxidation with some mild cardboard quality. However, I dont think the oxidation really distracts from the rest of what is going on in this brew.

This is a full bodied brew that is pretty much still. A rough pour down the center of the glass didn't produce a head. Actually, it didn't even release that many bubbles from solution. The combination of big alcohol impact and wild/tart character just didn't play all that nice together. Regardless, this brew is nowhere near as horrible as people are making it out to be. I suppose if you were drinking this expecting a barrel aged barleywine or old ale that wasn't inoculated with wild bacteria than yeah, I could see the disappointment or disgust in this. I think this brew carries with it a lot of Oud Bruin qualities. For what it was, I had no problem finishing my glass. I hope the wild responses over this brew don't get the folks at Weyerbacher down. Please keep experimenting with wild brews!

2.99/5  rDev +15%

Well here it is. Idiot's Drool. Lets see what all the ugly noise is about.

A- Brew pours out with no head whatsoever. Its a plum color, with a little bit of reddish hues. Brew looks very still, no carbonation at all.

S- Smells of leather, dark fruits, plums and sour cherry pits. A little bit of soy sauce. Theres a scent my novice nose would clasify as "wine like" but it must be the sherry the brewers describe. Not horrible, but different.

T- Well, this is definitely different. Its very sweet upfront, cherries and plum fruitiness. Theres a bit of sourness her too. However, the booze in here is way too strong. Not masked at all, don't know if the oxidation did this or obnoxius 4.5 years in a barrel. There is a decent aftertaste of caramel and toffee that maybe ups the flavor by .5.

M- Medium to full bodied brew with NO carbonation. Heat in the mouth from the booze.

O- Is this an amazing barrel aged old ale dosed with brett whale that everyone should be after? No...but is it a beer that deserves to be trashed and rated lower than a macro? No. This beer is certainly different and I respect Weyerbacher for taking the risks they do and pushing the boundaries of brewing. May be for some and not for others. Wish I didn't pay as much as I did though damnit!!

2.92/5  rDev +12.3%

I had this courtesty of stakem, enjoyed from a tulip chilled.

The color is murkey brown with turbid clarity and no head, however some 'legs' appear when swirled. The smell is very tart, raisiny with dried fruit the dominant aroma and a subtle caramel/toffee secondary smell. The feel is very acidic, tannin and sharp up front with a lot of residual sweetness giving a full impression on the palate with warmth of alcohol making this a challenge.

The taste is very different than I expected yet has a deep maltiness which is twisted by the brettanomyces in a way the turns the sweet toffee into a raisin flavor that is very tangy and acidic, the malt seems to be sticky and sugary on the palate with a high amount of alcohol warmth in the finish. Overall I enjoyed the chance to try this however it is not a beer that I would seek out. The alcohol strength combined with the raisiny sour flavor is hard to stomach more than a glass of. I was glad I had my brother to share this with.

2.82/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Hazy reddish-brown with a weak head.
Strong unattractive aroma much like a few other old ales, if a bit stronger.
Very low carbonation. Medium-full body.
O: recommended only for fans of the style.

2.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Shared by a kind young lady at The Trappe Door while hanging out at the bar. Served from bottle into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky brown with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, subtle oxidation, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall I wasn't really impressed with this one. There was just something that was very off-putting about this one that did not agree with my palate. I was excited to see this one come out to be shared, but once I smelled and tasted it I was regretting that I volunteered to try this one. But hey, tickers gonna tick. Worth trying if it is given to you, but I wouldn't personally buy it myself.

2.65/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle shared by yourefragile, not good but not as bad as people are saying it is. Until recently I had never had blithering idiot, at least I know what the base beer tasted like before I had this one.

Beer is brown and still, mostly, a hard swirl awakens some carbonation, a wispy tan head, no lacing, no retention.

Aroma is weird, it is strong, malty, a little brett and some oaky spirits, I think the oak/spirits wins here.

Beer is medium in body, very strong in flavor, hot on the back end and thins out to nearly nothing, the brett is lost in here to me, maybe my palate was wrecked by this point but who cares, some acetic / vinegar character a little harsh. not a great beer. Some enjoy it though.

2.61/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Edit: After revisiting this a couple times, it has gotten worse and is now virtually undrinkable...

Pours a dark hazy muddy brown color with zero head. Attempts to swirl and induce any head is futile; very minimal spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with dark dark fruits, leather, oak and light light bourbon. As it warms more you get apple skin and vinous grape notes. Some sherry/light oxidation notes are also present. Really complex...

The tastes begin quite tart surprisingly. Dark dark fruits, booze soaked dark toasted bread, sour cherry and vinous dry soaked oak. As I further sample I get more complex flavors of leather, Brett barnyard funk/mustiness and some pitted stone fruits. Once again really complex and different than anything I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with zero carbonation, which I usually hate but I don't mind it here. Finish is super dry and oaky which is expected for 4 years of barrel aging.

Overall I am really pleased with this beer. As others have stated, you will either love it or hate it. I'm on the side that is a big fan. Hopefully over the next year or so the bottle conditioning will up the carbonation a tad to add to the only downside this beer currently has. I imagine this is how many beers used to be back in ancient brewing times with lots of oak character and slight Brett flavors. Complex and recommended in my opinion; maybe not worth the original elevated price tag but still tasty and worth a go if you don't have to give up a king's ransom for it.

2.56/5  rDev -1.5%

Tasted blind courtesy of Retail1LO, thanks again!

Corked and caged 750 bottle, opens with no pop. Pours a murky brown color with no head, is this flat? Hope not.

Aromas are very nutty, boozy, with sweet stewed fruits, and brown sugar notes.

Taste is really sweet, with some raisin notes. Some general booziness, sharp vinegar, light vanilla, and nuttiness. Beer is flavorful, but the finish is flat, with a bit of alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied, but really lacks carbonation, and is almost flat.

Overall, unfortunately this beer is flawed, it's too sweet, infected, and is very low carbonated. Too bad too, because it actually tastes and smells like this could have been good but something went wrong here.

One last note, I think my review is being kind. Because the more I drink this, the more I dislike it. This is definitely a miss, and I might not drink the whole bottle. (edit : more than half the bottle was consumed by the drain, hope it liked this more than I did)

2.54/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle thanks to Lauren. Pours a dark murky crimson with a very slowly advancing ring of bubbles, fighting their way upward through a thick, dark swamp. Nose is a strange collage of burnt brown sugar, leather, fermented apples, sweaty socks. Thick flavor profile of massive, wet barrel, wet leather, caramelized brown sugar, finish is all fermented apple and sour cherry. Heavy and kind of oppressive, major alcohol heat on the finish.

To my friend this was disgusting throughout, though I can see the merit in it to an extent. That being said, it's a mish-mash of flavors and styles that aren't very harmonious or pleasant on any level. I'm pretty surprised at how much the brett influenced this. It reminds me of McKenzie's barrel work from 2009-2010. If you like massive barrel influence and slightly sour old ales with burning alcohol heat throughout, seek this out immediately.

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.