Idiot's Drool - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

poor

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

750ml
If you can take a sip of this beer with a smile on your face, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and go into deep thought about the contents in this bottle, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and actually ponder anything in general about this absolute slop in the bottle, I admire you. This is, hands down the worst ?beer? I’ve ever had.

Pours SLIMEY thick, bad thick, with funk, gelatinous funk, gross funk, made me think to myself, damn this is some gross ass funk. Flat, gross, slimey, made me make the "eeek" face while looking @ it pour and while sitting in the glass. I think this would make Andrew Zimmern cringe if he drank.

Smell is straight up side salad with balsamic vinegar that has been sitting in the diner refrigerator case for 4 1/2 years only to be served up to you in a bottled, liquid formation. Sour, oxidized, soy sauce, non-appetizing, spoiled, and quoting an earlier explanation from someone; "dumpster water". I like that one, suits it well.

Taste, forget about it. One sip is all it took for that 750 & pour to go straight down the pipes. No need to continue, read smell if assistance is needed here.

Overall I was a fool caught up in the early winter hype of this release and never looked back into reviews before trading for this. Shame on me as I am the "idiot" here. Glad I didn't make the release and end up with a case of this crap though. Totally disappointed with Weyerbacher (as I often praise their beers) on this as I feel it should've never made it to the bottle being such a rancid beverage. @ least change the description from Old Ale to something more fitting possibly? I felt kind of mislead, the whole 4 1/2 year Barrel Aged Old Ale & or Barleywine kind of got my juices flowing. This was far off from what I expected and did not take into account that a Barrel Aged Old Ale should taste anything like this.

Cheers (1,901 characters)

A buddy traded for this thing, brought it all the way back to Paris, opened it up and instantly we knew something was wrong (this is before I had seen the reviews, sounds like damn near all bottles are infected).

Completely worthless, undrinkable, went right down the drain. Sure, sometimes accidental infections end up being interesting/at least drinkable, this was not.

Bummer. (381 characters)

1.05/5  rDev -59.1%

Shared by joey5cents-- he got this courtesy of agentzero.

Wow.
This smells and looks like a cup of spit that belongs to a ball-player with a big mouthfull of chewing tobacco.

Sweaty gym socks.
Puréed black cherries and chewing tobacco spit.
Boozy leather, like the saddle the morning after the horse was on a bender.
Musty. And NOT in a good way.
Pure liquid misery.
Liquified vegetables blended into a bloody Mary.

There is no carbonation-- and this beer suffers from it. Oily and slick, almost slimy. This is like something Neville Longbottom made in Potions Class.

Overall-- seriously? I don't think the brewers were sampling this beer at all as time progressed. I think they forgot about it, and the barrel was sitting next to the furnace or on top of a radiator for 4 years. There is NO WAY this is intentional-- and if it is, Weyerbacher is composed of a bunch of gluttons for punishment. (909 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -56.4%

If you review beers and are trying to get your average down, go ahead and open this beer, it will get the job done.
The pour makes you think you of stagnant water, really, i think everyone in the room was thinking swamp. no carbination, just murky brown.
The aroma and flavors are that of a 20oz bottle filled with tobacco spit, a sweaty pair of cotton haynes socks, your dog after a bath, really i am not in hyperbole mode right now this is honest, and dishwater...granted you just ate some apple pie last night and there is crusty residue on the plates, so you have that going for you. score.
The mouthfeel is as close to slimy as i have ever had in a beer, awesome. come get some.

Stay the the hell away.

If you bought a case.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (891 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -55.3%

Thanks to Adam H at his birthday tasting.

This one didn't make a sound on opening and all of us got worried at that. In theory this is an interesting beer, a big barrel aged barleywine with brett.

It pours a muddy amber with no head or lace of any kind. Our bottle was flat. On the nose there is a mixture of vanilla, oak, rum-soaked figs, and a slight funk. The nose is actually alright but it lacks power due to lack of carbonation. In the mouth the beer falls completely apart. There are hints here and there of barrel, dark fruit, and some brett characteristics, but no carbonation at all holding it together. I'm not sure how well those flavors would have melded anyway, but I really would have liked to have found out honestly rather than being forced to assume that they don't work at all. The mouthfeel was sticky and completely flat.

Overall, as one of us said, "this is a failure." It is an interesting idea for certain, and I would not balk at the opportunity to try it again, but I cannot recommend it at all based on the flat bottle that six of us drainpoured.

EDIT - This beer has become a legend of our tasting group. Those of us who had it talk about it like Walter Sobchak talks about Vietnam. Our best guess is that they brewed some Blithering Idiot, it got infected a bit, and rather than dumping, they decided to age it in bourbon barrels to see if anything could be made of it. Four and a half years later they finally had to cut bait, and instead of doing the honorable thing and dumping this stuff down a deep hole, they foisted on a bunch of us idiots who paid $23 a bottle for it. (1,610 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -52.9%

Idiot's drool pours a dead still brown color with a bit of sediment that reminds me of pond water.

I tried to get a whiff of the stuff and recoiled immediately. Lots of oxidation and some unpleasant sourness.

Disgusting. Bile, vomit, not good. When beers are blended, brewers will often leave select barrels out due to inferior quality or some sort of contamination. I believe Idiot's Drool tastes like a mix of beer aged for years in a bunch of those crap barrels might taste. Cardboard+unpleasant sourness+some alcohol heat=Idiot's drool. It's bad.

Mouthfeel is dead flat, and anything else besides that is hard to notice because you cannot keep this in your mouth for very long.

I went back and forth on whether I wanted to review this beer, because I only had about a 4 oz sample. In the end, I decided to review this for a few reasons:

1) I could never have drank anywhere near a bottle of this stuff. 4oz was actually too much.
2) People should know what they're getting in to when trading for this beer.
3) Idiot's Drool was so epic in how horrible it is that I thought it deserved a review. You may ask why I gave it a 1.5 overall if it was so terrible. The answer is that this was so bad, I almost wanted to like it. Think of it as being very close to the “Snakes on a Plane” of beer. I love Snakes on a Plane, but the key difference is that snakes on a plane didn't happen in my mouth. (1,404 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -52.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tasting glass. It poured a dark brown, caramel like color with little to no head and a lot of sediment floating around.

From the aroma it's immediately apparent something is very wrong in this. I do get some notes of brown sugar, maple and wood to it but there is an overwhelming sour, rotten fruit flavor to it. It smells as if something could have died in it.

The taste doesn't really get any better. I get a lot of dry, woody characteristics to it with sour cherries, bourbon and brown sugar but again it all gets overshadowed by the awful rotten fruit flavor to it. It's undrinkable, a few sips is all I can handle.

The mouthfeel is heavy with low carbonation. Overall it was a completely awful and undrinkable beer. It really tasted like something was rotting in it. It's inexcusable that anyone charged money for this product. (872 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -51%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

The smell was the first sign of staying away.... The idea sounds good on paper I guess (blithering idiot aged in oak bourbon barrels with Brettanomyces for three ears) but! the mouth feel was similar too sour milk and the taste was just off. Two sips and I have had enough. I love everything Weyerbacher does and I have a hard time saying anythig negative about beer but, a review was required to submit my rating. Think of this as a mistake or a beer gone bad. (461 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -49.4%

Poured from the bottle into my pour Hunahpu's snifter.

Appearance: Pours a murky reddish brown with a bright red hue when the light hits the pour. There is a layer of off white head that goes away completely. This is the only thing remotely okay about this beer.

Smell: Worst...smelling...beer..ever! Malt sweetness with a gross sourness and some baby puke.

Taste: Not much better than the smell. Reminds me of a flanders red aged in a dumpster in summer. Tart red berries, some vinegar, and hot garbage. Terrible.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with extremely mild carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I would have been ashamed to charge people money for this beer. After trying this, it should have gone down the drain and never been spoken of again. Just awful. I almost threw up the morning after the tasting when I poured it down the drain. (845 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -48.6%

From 750mL C&C bottle to snifter on 2/4/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, John (not really, though) --

A: I can't say I've ever seen a beer that looks like human feces. Until now, at least. A firm pour yields no head, no lacing, no collar, no nothin'.

S: When colder, the nose is actually somewhat pleasant. Hints of bourbon and that "Old Ale" sweetness come through nicely. As it warms though, there's a rancid, rotting quality to it that makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

T: I think the vomit in my mouth tasted better than the beer. This abomination tastes like metallic, lactic asshole and unwashed taint. Simply and unapologetically disgusting.

M: A flat, thin and uncarbonated mess.

O: Easily one of the worst two or three beers - no wait - liquids I've ever put into my mouth. It upsets me greatly that the good folks at Weyerbacher charged people for this, knowing full well that this was epically terrible.

I'll tell you this: Idiot's Drool will go down in history as THE epic beer fail of the 21st century. Years from now, it will be hunted down with fervor by those seeking to punish their palates. Sam Adams Triple Bock and Cave Creek Chili Beer better watch out, as this is soon to be (if not already) the dirty, unwiped asshole of the beer world. (1,265 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -45.1%

Bottle shared by Richard. Thanks?

The pour is a murky mahogany color with sort of a small off-white head. Wow, what an aroma. Cheese, vinegar, and soy sauce are among the strongest aromas. A bit of liquor and booze, maybe some oak, definitely some oxidation and leather. The flavor is just bad. Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, bad chocolate, and vinegar. Definitely salty with some almost cauliflower taste. God, what is this? Medium bodied with low carbonation. (464 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to yourefragile for sharing this at last night's tasting. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours nearly flat. Reddish-brown color and a few bubbles after some heavy swirling. The nose is pretty bad, smelling like dirty socks with a bit of vinegar. White-Birch level right here. Very unfortunately. The flavor has light cherry and some vinegar-like sourness. Touch of oak. Medium flat body. Not a fan at all. Not good. (422 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -38.5%

750ml bottle split 3 ways

Pouts murky deep ruby with minimal head

Smells of rotton eggs and nail polish remover

Taste like spoiled butter

Mouthfeel is thin carbonation is almost non existant

Overall drainpour...pretty sure this is infected none of us could finish our 6oz glass (282 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -36.6%

Not sure who to "thank" for this...poured into Darkness tulip.

A - Looks like a mud water, hazy/mirky, faint head.

S - Tons of oak and booze...my nostrils hurt. 3-week old fruit, brett, booze, and 180 day old hot tub water. Holy crap, please no more!

T - Booze, super sharp sourness that's almost impossible to get down, pool water, brett. What the heck is going on here? I don't think this beer even knows what it's doing.

M - Too thin, uber-light carbonation, horrible finish.

O - Uh, no more please. I would use this beer as a torture technique for my enemies. Otherwise, down the drain it would go. (607 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -35.4%

thanks damico for the swap. anxious (more in the nervous way) to try this one. poured into a duck rabbit snifter.

a - cork came out with no pop. a hard pour yields no head an no carbonation. this thing is flat and doesn't look promising. old ale coloring of deep brown with a reddish tint to the light, but there is simply no life in this beer.

s - boozy nutmeg. dark fruits. some cherry. did i mention heat?

t - wow, sludgy. i took a big gulp and that was a mistake. a bit of sourness with old ale flavors deep under lots of booze. sadly this is not good. had there been some carbonation this could've been not too bad...but the sludgy thickness and flatness make this worse than discovering an unfinished beer in the morning and deciding to give it a whirl. like a shitty wine.

m - my mouth feels like it is not looking happy.

o - overall i went into this with an open mind, but sadly i am unable to get through a pour of this. it is flat. it is boozy and sludgy. if just taste like a beer that has gone bad. like a growler that wasn't opened even close to fresh. the flavoring isn't great, but the flatness makes it undrinkable. i could potentially make it through a glass of this if i sipped it all night (like a poorly made mixed drink or liquor)...but why do that? hello drain...here i come. (1,303 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -26.5%

A - Brown colored beer, pretty dark. There was a slight, brown head on there that didn't stay for long and left nothing on the sides.

S - Kind of an odd smell on the nose. Brown sugar, some barrel, apples. The worst is just this kind of wet-dog smell at the end. Not sure what is making that happen but it's not a good thing.

T - Think of pond water and wet dog. That's the back end of this. The beginning of the taste was somewhat better, with some brown sugar, apples, some brett. There is a lot or barrel characteristic, I guess, but the horrible flavors really obliterate any redeeming characteristics this beer had. I don't know how it got all these high reviews, this is atrocious.

M - Kind of flat, not really adding to the rotten taste. Full bodied.

O - Not a good beer, mostly hated it, and only drank enough to review before pouring the rest down the drain. Massively disappointing. I'm assuming they left this in the barrel for 4.5 years because it was just awful and they were hoping it would get better. Nope. (1,026 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

750ml bottle brought by Russ. Thanks?

A - Pours a dirty, murky brownish red. Mostly flat, and no head to speak of. Certainly not the prettiest gal at the ball.
S - Very strange. Caramel malts, raisins and a strong sour vinegar presence. Not pleasant.
T - Taste follows the nose. A bizarre combination of caramel sweetness, old musty dark fruits with a powerful vinegar-like sourness. As my wife described it, "It tastes like sour raisins."
M - Medium body, and fairly no carbonation at this point. Still, it was drinkable in small quantities and not overly offensive.
O - Overall, this was pretty bad. It looked like pond water, had an unpleasant aroma, and did not taste very good at all. With that being said, it was tolerable in small portions, and actually better than I was expecting. I did not get any solvent or bile, as others have reported, just an unpleasant sourness mixed with old raisins. Bad, but not "Triple Bock" bad. (934 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -23.7%

Not sure if it was Dan or Frank who contributed this gem, but thanks! Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - Quick-dissolving tan foam settles to nothing. Murky dark brown body. Not horrendous for the style, but a tad disappointing.

S - Smells like standing water/outdoor pool, mixed with light burnt and brown sugars, BBQ sauce, and mild acetobacter. Some oak and oxidation as well.

T - Wood, oxidation, and light vinegar. Actually quite bland - so bland I wrote it twice it seems. The alcohol is well-hidden, but this is largely devoid of flavor, and what is there isn't very appealing.

M - Medium-full body, low carbonation, and somewhat watery. Some tannic oak in the finish, and thankfully minimal alcohol. Not offensive I suppose.

D - I can only speculate what caused this disaster of a beer. I'm guessing they had an infected batch Blithering Idiot and keep aging it in barrels, hoping that it would eventually turn into something halfway decent. It seems like they just decided to cut their losses on this one by passing on the expense to the customer. If someone had told me this was water barrel-aged in third use Angel's Share barrels I probably would have believed it. I don't have a problem with bretted old ales, but this was just terrible. (1,258 characters)

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

From 11/20/13 notes. Have been holding onto a bottle yourefragile picked up for me at the release for a long time after hearing bad things, in hopes time would help the booze fade. 750ml bottle poured into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a murky reddish brown color with no head or carbonation evident. Doesn't look too good.

s - Smells of alcohol, caramel malts, dates, figs, sweet dark fruits, solvent, and lightly sour dark fruits. Sweet and sour, and not a very good mix. Too much alcohol, though not as offensive as I was expecting.

t - This is more what I was expecting (and hoping was not the case). Tastes of alcohol, solvent, sour dark fruits, sugar, harsh bourbon, vinegar, and molasses. Taste what I imagine cleaning products taste like, and vinegar. Very bad tasting.

m - Medium body and no carbonation. High alcohol heat in the taste and extremely harsh.

o - Overall I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad as I had heard it was, but it was just awful. The look and mouthfeel are not great, the nose is worse, and the taste is downright awful, full or harsh alcohol and sugar. I like boozy and sweet beers more than most people and this was a complete drainpour; I couldn't choke down more than 5oz.'s of this one. Would never have again. (1,252 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -19.8%

Free samples were being poured at the release by Weyerbacher. Even though I was shut out of getting my allotment, I still was able to sample a few times. Poured into a sampler glass.

A: Mahogany brown colored body with absolutely no head, lace or retention of any kind. These were being poured and placed on the table so by the time I got it, anything that was there would have settled out. Bleak looking.

S: Rich dark cherries, sweet maple syrup, a bit of funky brett and a robust caramel malt base. The oak wood really opens up towards the back end of the aroma bringing in a hint of an alcohol note with it.

T: Whoa, that is unlike anything I've had before. At first, there's a very sweet maple syrup flavor along with some great wood notes and bourbon. End of the palate brings in a bit of tartness and funk with a black cherry fruity element. Brown sugar is in the finish.

M: Really no carbonation, thick and syrupy. I would like more carbonation although the syrupy texture of this beer is different.

Honestly, there's nothing like this beer out there that I've ever tried before. The combination of flavors is very unique, glad I was able to try but not worth the money. (1,182 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got to sample this at Capones Black Friday event courtesy of Centennial, thanks a ton Steve, I'm so glad I got to try it.

Poured from a 750 bottle that had warmed up into a tasting glass.

A: A deep murky dark brown color with no head and no glass lacing.

S: Heavy fruit smells with some sourness. I'm getting some cider notes with some barnyard must and lots of alcohol.

T: Ok, this is different. I got mostly apple cider type flavors with some sour cherry. Then the musty flavors of leather, wood, wet hay, slight barnyard funk and sourness that leads to an almost soy sauce type flavor. Finish is tart and alcoholic.

M: Full, sour, coating, alcoholic and very little carbonation. Very thick viscous liquid.

O: I can't believe this is how Weyerbacher wanted to this beer to turn out, it just is not appealing in any way. As a couple of us noted it almost tasted infected.

I'm sorry to those who rated this beer highly and bought a bunch of them, but to pay $ 23 a bottle and get this product is unacceptable. This is a bad beer, no way around it. Great ideas often go awry and this one has done just that. (1,115 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle thanks to Lauren. Pours a dark murky crimson with a very slowly advancing ring of bubbles, fighting their way upward through a thick, dark swamp. Nose is a strange collage of burnt brown sugar, leather, fermented apples, sweaty socks. Thick flavor profile of massive, wet barrel, wet leather, caramelized brown sugar, finish is all fermented apple and sour cherry. Heavy and kind of oppressive, major alcohol heat on the finish.

To my friend this was disgusting throughout, though I can see the merit in it to an extent. That being said, it's a mish-mash of flavors and styles that aren't very harmonious or pleasant on any level. I'm pretty surprised at how much the brett influenced this. It reminds me of McKenzie's barrel work from 2009-2010. If you like massive barrel influence and slightly sour old ales with burning alcohol heat throughout, seek this out immediately. (883 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -0.4%

Tasted blind courtesy of Retail1LO, thanks again!

Corked and caged 750 bottle, opens with no pop. Pours a murky brown color with no head, is this flat? Hope not.

Aromas are very nutty, boozy, with sweet stewed fruits, and brown sugar notes.

Taste is really sweet, with some raisin notes. Some general booziness, sharp vinegar, light vanilla, and nuttiness. Beer is flavorful, but the finish is flat, with a bit of alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied, but really lacks carbonation, and is almost flat.

Overall, unfortunately this beer is flawed, it's too sweet, infected, and is very low carbonated. Too bad too, because it actually tastes and smells like this could have been good but something went wrong here.

One last note, I think my review is being kind. Because the more I drink this, the more I dislike it. This is definitely a miss, and I might not drink the whole bottle. (edit : more than half the bottle was consumed by the drain, hope it liked this more than I did) (997 characters)

2.61/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Edit: After revisiting this a couple times, it has gotten worse and is now virtually undrinkable...

Pours a dark hazy muddy brown color with zero head. Attempts to swirl and induce any head is futile; very minimal spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with dark dark fruits, leather, oak and light light bourbon. As it warms more you get apple skin and vinous grape notes. Some sherry/light oxidation notes are also present. Really complex...

The tastes begin quite tart surprisingly. Dark dark fruits, booze soaked dark toasted bread, sour cherry and vinous dry soaked oak. As I further sample I get more complex flavors of leather, Brett barnyard funk/mustiness and some pitted stone fruits. Once again really complex and different than anything I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with zero carbonation, which I usually hate but I don't mind it here. Finish is super dry and oaky which is expected for 4 years of barrel aging.

Overall I am really pleased with this beer. As others have stated, you will either love it or hate it. I'm on the side that is a big fan. Hopefully over the next year or so the bottle conditioning will up the carbonation a tad to add to the only downside this beer currently has. I imagine this is how many beers used to be back in ancient brewing times with lots of oak character and slight Brett flavors. Complex and recommended in my opinion; maybe not worth the original elevated price tag but still tasty and worth a go if you don't have to give up a king's ransom for it. (1,518 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle shared by yourefragile, not good but not as bad as people are saying it is. Until recently I had never had blithering idiot, at least I know what the base beer tasted like before I had this one.

Beer is brown and still, mostly, a hard swirl awakens some carbonation, a wispy tan head, no lacing, no retention.

Aroma is weird, it is strong, malty, a little brett and some oaky spirits, I think the oak/spirits wins here.

Beer is medium in body, very strong in flavor, hot on the back end and thins out to nearly nothing, the brett is lost in here to me, maybe my palate was wrecked by this point but who cares, some acetic / vinegar character a little harsh. not a great beer. Some enjoy it though. (707 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.