Idiot's Drool - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

poor

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  12.00% ABV

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.

(Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
IdrinkGas

01-21-2012 01:13:56 | More by IdrinkGas
richbrew

750ml
If you can take a sip of this beer with a smile on your face, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and go into deep thought about the contents in this bottle, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and actually ponder anything in general about this absolute slop in the bottle, I admire you. This is, hands down the worst ?beer? I’ve ever had.

Pours SLIMEY thick, bad thick, with funk, gelatinous funk, gross funk, made me think to myself, damn this is some gross ass funk. Flat, gross, slimey, made me make the "eeek" face while looking @ it pour and while sitting in the glass. I think this would make Andrew Zimmern cringe if he drank.

Smell is straight up side salad with balsamic vinegar that has been sitting in the diner refrigerator case for 4 1/2 years only to be served up to you in a bottled, liquid formation. Sour, oxidized, soy sauce, non-appetizing, spoiled, and quoting an earlier explanation from someone; "dumpster water". I like that one, suits it well.

Taste, forget about it. One sip is all it took for that 750 & pour to go straight down the pipes. No need to continue, read smell if assistance is needed here.

Overall I was a fool caught up in the early winter hype of this release and never looked back into reviews before trading for this. Shame on me as I am the "idiot" here. Glad I didn't make the release and end up with a case of this crap though. Totally disappointed with Weyerbacher (as I often praise their beers) on this as I feel it should've never made it to the bottle being such a rancid beverage. @ least change the description from Old Ale to something more fitting possibly? I felt kind of mislead, the whole 4 1/2 year Barrel Aged Old Ale & or Barleywine kind of got my juices flowing. This was far off from what I expected and did not take into account that a Barrel Aged Old Ale should taste anything like this.

Cheers

stevefinny

01-16-2012 00:12:09 | More by stevefinny
pixieskid

Germany

A buddy traded for this thing, brought it all the way back to Paris, opened it up and instantly we knew something was wrong (this is before I had seen the reviews, sounds like damn near all bottles are infected).

Completely worthless, undrinkable, went right down the drain. Sure, sometimes accidental infections end up being interesting/at least drinkable, this was not.

Bummer.

02-27-2012 12:19:36 | More by pixieskid
HopDropandRoll

10-20-2012 13:00:41 | More by HopDropandRoll
AleWatcher

1.05/5  rDev -59.5%

Shared by joey5cents-- he got this courtesy of agentzero.

Wow.
This smells and looks like a cup of spit that belongs to a ball-player with a big mouthfull of chewing tobacco.

Sweaty gym socks.
Puréed black cherries and chewing tobacco spit.
Boozy leather, like the saddle the morning after the horse was on a bender.
Musty. And NOT in a good way.
Pure liquid misery.
Liquified vegetables blended into a bloody Mary.

There is no carbonation-- and this beer suffers from it. Oily and slick, almost slimy. This is like something Neville Longbottom made in Potions Class.

Overall-- seriously? I don't think the brewers were sampling this beer at all as time progressed. I think they forgot about it, and the barrel was sitting next to the furnace or on top of a radiator for 4 years. There is NO WAY this is intentional-- and if it is, Weyerbacher is composed of a bunch of gluttons for punishment.

01-15-2012 23:41:54 | More by AleWatcher
ChadQuest

1.1/5  rDev -57.5%

If you review beers and are trying to get your average down, go ahead and open this beer, it will get the job done.
The pour makes you think you of stagnant water, really, i think everyone in the room was thinking swamp. no carbination, just murky brown.
The aroma and flavors are that of a 20oz bottle filled with tobacco spit, a sweaty pair of cotton haynes socks, your dog after a bath, really i am not in hyperbole mode right now this is honest, and dishwater...granted you just ate some apple pie last night and there is crusty residue on the plates, so you have that going for you. score.
The mouthfeel is as close to slimy as i have ever had in a beer, awesome. come get some.

Stay the the hell away.

01-29-2012 05:53:24 | More by ChadQuest
EricCioe

Montana

1.13/5  rDev -56.4%

Thanks to Adam H at his birthday tasting.

This one didn't make a sound on opening and all of us got worried at that. In theory this is an interesting beer, a big barrel aged barleywine with brett.

It pours a muddy amber with no head or lace of any kind. Our bottle was flat. On the nose there is a mixture of vanilla, oak, rum-soaked figs, and a slight funk. The nose is actually alright but it lacks power due to lack of carbonation. In the mouth the beer falls completely apart. There are hints here and there of barrel, dark fruit, and some brett characteristics, but no carbonation at all holding it together. I'm not sure how well those flavors would have melded anyway, but I really would have liked to have found out honestly rather than being forced to assume that they don't work at all. The mouthfeel was sticky and completely flat.

Overall, as one of us said, "this is a failure." It is an interesting idea for certain, and I would not balk at the opportunity to try it again, but I cannot recommend it at all based on the flat bottle that six of us drainpoured.

EDIT - This beer has become a legend of our tasting group. Those of us who had it talk about it like Walter Sobchak talks about Vietnam. Our best guess is that they brewed some Blithering Idiot, it got infected a bit, and rather than dumping, they decided to age it in bourbon barrels to see if anything could be made of it. Four and a half years later they finally had to cut bait, and instead of doing the honorable thing and dumping this stuff down a deep hole, they foisted on a bunch of us idiots who paid $23 a bottle for it.

11-27-2011 05:55:53 | More by EricCioe
Hojaminbag

Colorado

1.2/5  rDev -53.7%

Idiot's drool pours a dead still brown color with a bit of sediment that reminds me of pond water.

I tried to get a whiff of the stuff and recoiled immediately. Lots of oxidation and some unpleasant sourness.

Disgusting. Bile, vomit, not good. When beers are blended, brewers will often leave select barrels out due to inferior quality or some sort of contamination. I believe Idiot's Drool tastes like a mix of beer aged for years in a bunch of those crap barrels might taste. Cardboard+unpleasant sourness+some alcohol heat=Idiot's drool. It's bad.

Mouthfeel is dead flat, and anything else besides that is hard to notice because you cannot keep this in your mouth for very long.

I went back and forth on whether I wanted to review this beer, because I only had about a 4 oz sample. In the end, I decided to review this for a few reasons:

1) I could never have drank anywhere near a bottle of this stuff. 4oz was actually too much.
2) People should know what they're getting in to when trading for this beer.
3) Idiot's Drool was so epic in how horrible it is that I thought it deserved a review. You may ask why I gave it a 1.5 overall if it was so terrible. The answer is that this was so bad, I almost wanted to like it. Think of it as being very close to the “Snakes on a Plane” of beer. I love Snakes on a Plane, but the key difference is that snakes on a plane didn't happen in my mouth.

01-07-2012 23:30:05 | More by Hojaminbag
billab914

1.2/5  rDev -53.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tasting glass. It poured a dark brown, caramel like color with little to no head and a lot of sediment floating around.

From the aroma it's immediately apparent something is very wrong in this. I do get some notes of brown sugar, maple and wood to it but there is an overwhelming sour, rotten fruit flavor to it. It smells as if something could have died in it.

The taste doesn't really get any better. I get a lot of dry, woody characteristics to it with sour cherries, bourbon and brown sugar but again it all gets overshadowed by the awful rotten fruit flavor to it. It's undrinkable, a few sips is all I can handle.

The mouthfeel is heavy with low carbonation. Overall it was a completely awful and undrinkable beer. It really tasted like something was rotting in it. It's inexcusable that anyone charged money for this product.

02-05-2012 21:06:02 | More by billab914

12-30-2012 15:45:46 | More by hannydawg
oline73

Maryland

1.28/5  rDev -50.6%

Poured from the bottle into my pour Hunahpu's snifter.

Appearance: Pours a murky reddish brown with a bright red hue when the light hits the pour. There is a layer of off white head that goes away completely. This is the only thing remotely okay about this beer.

Smell: Worst...smelling...beer..ever! Malt sweetness with a gross sourness and some baby puke.

Taste: Not much better than the smell. Reminds me of a flanders red aged in a dumpster in summer. Tart red berries, some vinegar, and hot garbage. Terrible.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with extremely mild carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I would have been ashamed to charge people money for this beer. After trying this, it should have gone down the drain and never been spoken of again. Just awful. I almost threw up the morning after the tasting when I poured it down the drain.

06-20-2012 03:17:10 | More by oline73
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

1.28/5  rDev -50.6%

From 750mL C&C bottle to snifter on 2/4/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, John (not really, though) --

A: I can't say I've ever seen a beer that looks like human feces. Until now, at least. A firm pour yields no head, no lacing, no collar, no nothin'.

S: When colder, the nose is actually somewhat pleasant. Hints of bourbon and that "Old Ale" sweetness come through nicely. As it warms though, there's a rancid, rotting quality to it that makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

T: I think the vomit in my mouth tasted better then the beer. This abomination tastes like metallic, lactic asshole and unwashed taint. Simply and unapologetically disgusting.

M: A flat, thin and uncarbonated mess.

O: Easily one of the worst two or three beers - no wait - liquids I've ever put into my mouth. It upsets me greatly that the good folks at Weyerbacher charged people for this, knowing full well that this was epically terrible.

I'll tell you this: Idiot's Drool will go down in history as THE epic beer fair of the 21st century. Years from now, it will be hunted down with fervor by those seeking to punish their palates. Sam Adams Triple Bock and Cave Creek Chili Beer better watch out, as this is soon to be (if not already) the dirty, unwiped asshole of the beer world.

02-15-2012 22:26:46 | More by Rhettroactive
womencantsail

1.38/5  rDev -46.7%

Bottle shared by Richard. Thanks?

The pour is a murky mahogany color with sort of a small off-white head. Wow, what an aroma. Cheese, vinegar, and soy sauce are among the strongest aromas. A bit of liquor and booze, maybe some oak, definitely some oxidation and leather. The flavor is just bad. Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, bad chocolate, and vinegar. Definitely salty with some almost cauliflower taste. God, what is this? Medium bodied with low carbonation.

01-18-2012 17:26:01 | More by womencantsail

seeswo

03-23-2012 02:34:34 | More by seeswo
whartontallboy

01-28-2012 23:22:45 | More by whartontallboy
Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.