Idiot's Drool - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

poor

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  12.00% ABV

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.

(Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.6/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml corked and caged bottle courtesy of Soonami. Served in a tulip. Pours a dull, plum-colored hue somewhat akin to muddy water. Clarity is fairly murky and there is no head or lacing. I have to say that I dig the nose on this beer - tobacco, vanilla, leather and cider vinegar notes. Taste follows nose; however, there are also some caramel/toffee and coffee notes. The vinegar present in the nose insinuates itself throughout the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with absolutely no carbonation. There is some acidity; not at all overpowering, but definitely tickles the salivary glands a bit. Overall, I don't understand all the hate on this beer. It is definitely not what I would consider an Old Ale, perhaps closer to a dark sour. That said my rating is more to taste than style on this review. I think a little carbonation might have helped dissipate some of the intensity of this beer; however, it's definitely not deserving of all negativity in my opinion. If you don't want your bottles, send them my way.

04-01-2012 20:36:19 | More by Jwale73

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%

03-09-2012 16:30:53 | More by afksports
pixieskid

Germany

A buddy traded for this thing, brought it all the way back to Paris, opened it up and instantly we knew something was wrong (this is before I had seen the reviews, sounds like damn near all bottles are infected).

Completely worthless, undrinkable, went right down the drain. Sure, sometimes accidental infections end up being interesting/at least drinkable, this was not.

Bummer.

02-27-2012 12:19:36 | More by pixieskid
drabmuh

Maryland

2.63/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle shared by yourefragile, not good but not as bad as people are saying it is. Until recently I had never had blithering idiot, at least I know what the base beer tasted like before I had this one.

Beer is brown and still, mostly, a hard swirl awakens some carbonation, a wispy tan head, no lacing, no retention.

Aroma is weird, it is strong, malty, a little brett and some oaky spirits, I think the oak/spirits wins here.

Beer is medium in body, very strong in flavor, hot on the back end and thins out to nearly nothing, the brett is lost in here to me, maybe my palate was wrecked by this point but who cares, some acetic / vinegar character a little harsh. not a great beer. Some enjoy it though.

02-17-2012 21:28:08 | More by drabmuh
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

1.28/5  rDev -50.8%

From 750mL C&C bottle to snifter on 2/4/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, John (not really, though) --

A: I can't say I've ever seen a beer that looks like human feces. Until now, at least. A firm pour yields no head, no lacing, no collar, no nothin'.

S: When colder, the nose is actually somewhat pleasant. Hints of bourbon and that "Old Ale" sweetness come through nicely. As it warms though, there's a rancid, rotting quality to it that makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

T: I think the vomit in my mouth tasted better then the beer. This abomination tastes like metallic, lactic asshole and unwashed taint. Simply and unapologetically disgusting.

M: A flat, thin and uncarbonated mess.

O: Easily one of the worst two or three beers - no wait - liquids I've ever put into my mouth. It upsets me greatly that the good folks at Weyerbacher charged people for this, knowing full well that this was epically terrible.

I'll tell you this: Idiot's Drool will go down in history as THE epic beer fair of the 21st century. Years from now, it will be hunted down with fervor by those seeking to punish their palates. Sam Adams Triple Bock and Cave Creek Chili Beer better watch out, as this is soon to be (if not already) the dirty, unwiped asshole of the beer world.

02-15-2012 22:26:46 | More by Rhettroactive
Thorpe429

1.53/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to yourefragile for sharing this at last night's tasting. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours nearly flat. Reddish-brown color and a few bubbles after some heavy swirling. The nose is pretty bad, smelling like dirty socks with a bit of vinegar. White-Birch level right here. Very unfortunately. The flavor has light cherry and some vinegar-like sourness. Touch of oak. Medium flat body. Not a fan at all. Not good.

02-12-2012 17:32:07 | More by Thorpe429
ygtbsm94

02-12-2012 01:35:29 | More by ygtbsm94
cosmicevan

1.55/5  rDev -40.4%

thanks damico for the swap. anxious (more in the nervous way) to try this one. poured into a duck rabbit snifter.

a - cork came out with no pop. a hard pour yields no head an no carbonation. this thing is flat and doesn't look promising. old ale coloring of deep brown with a reddish tint to the light, but there is simply no life in this beer.

s - boozy nutmeg. dark fruits. some cherry. did i mention heat?

t - wow, sludgy. i took a big gulp and that was a mistake. a bit of sourness with old ale flavors deep under lots of booze. sadly this is not good. had there been some carbonation this could've been not too bad...but the sludgy thickness and flatness make this worse than discovering an unfinished beer in the morning and deciding to give it a whirl. like a shitty wine.

m - my mouth feels like it is not looking happy.

o - overall i went into this with an open mind, but sadly i am unable to get through a pour of this. it is flat. it is boozy and sludgy. if just taste like a beer that has gone bad. like a growler that wasn't opened even close to fresh. the flavoring isn't great, but the flatness makes it undrinkable. i could potentially make it through a glass of this if i sipped it all night (like a poorly made mixed drink or liquor)...but why do that? hello drain...here i come.

02-11-2012 02:40:47 | More by cosmicevan
MarkIntihar

3.65/5  rDev +40.4%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a murky brown color with zero head. Looks, as others have mentioned, like dirty water. Has a reddish hue to it as well, but the complete lack of head is a bit disappointing.

S - Dark fruit, bourbon vanilla, and a lot of heat to it. Also hints of caramel and toffee that reach the nostrils. Cherry vanilla with more dark fruits providing the backbone, all backed nicely by caramel and toffee. Also seem to be picking up some maple as well. Very complex and intriguing.

T - Follows closely from the nose, with a little more heat behind it than I even expected. A definite almost sour finish to it, but not entirely unpleasant. Not quite on par with BA4D, but at the same time not the disappointment I was anticipating with all of the super negative reviews. The barrel treatment is not quite as smooth as it could be, but it's not terribly done either.

M - Super flat, which is disappointing, but to be expected from a beer that spent over four years in barrels. Also feels like it has been fairly thinned out over time.

O - Overall, a decent beer, but not quite on par with a lot of other brewery-only releases. Still a nice attempt at the style, and something I would pick up again if it was readily available.

02-07-2012 03:09:13 | More by MarkIntihar
billab914

1.2/5  rDev -53.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tasting glass. It poured a dark brown, caramel like color with little to no head and a lot of sediment floating around.

From the aroma it's immediately apparent something is very wrong in this. I do get some notes of brown sugar, maple and wood to it but there is an overwhelming sour, rotten fruit flavor to it. It smells as if something could have died in it.

The taste doesn't really get any better. I get a lot of dry, woody characteristics to it with sour cherries, bourbon and brown sugar but again it all gets overshadowed by the awful rotten fruit flavor to it. It's undrinkable, a few sips is all I can handle.

The mouthfeel is heavy with low carbonation. Overall it was a completely awful and undrinkable beer. It really tasted like something was rotting in it. It's inexcusable that anyone charged money for this product.

02-05-2012 21:06:02 | More by billab914
Slatetank

2.93/5  rDev +12.7%

I had this courtesty of stakem, enjoyed from a tulip chilled.

The color is murkey brown with turbid clarity and no head, however some 'legs' appear when swirled. The smell is very tart, raisiny with dried fruit the dominant aroma and a subtle caramel/toffee secondary smell. The feel is very acidic, tannin and sharp up front with a lot of residual sweetness giving a full impression on the palate with warmth of alcohol making this a challenge.

The taste is very different than I expected yet has a deep maltiness which is twisted by the brettanomyces in a way the turns the sweet toffee into a raisin flavor that is very tangy and acidic, the malt seems to be sticky and sugary on the palate with a high amount of alcohol warmth in the finish. Overall I enjoyed the chance to try this however it is not a beer that I would seek out. The alcohol strength combined with the raisiny sour flavor is hard to stomach more than a glass of. I was glad I had my brother to share this with.

01-30-2012 14:57:34 | More by Slatetank
sideshowe

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%

01-30-2012 13:26:05 | More by sideshowe
ChadQuest

1.1/5  rDev -57.7%

If you review beers and are trying to get your average down, go ahead and open this beer, it will get the job done.
The pour makes you think you of stagnant water, really, i think everyone in the room was thinking swamp. no carbination, just murky brown.
The aroma and flavors are that of a 20oz bottle filled with tobacco spit, a sweaty pair of cotton haynes socks, your dog after a bath, really i am not in hyperbole mode right now this is honest, and dishwater...granted you just ate some apple pie last night and there is crusty residue on the plates, so you have that going for you. score.
The mouthfeel is as close to slimy as i have ever had in a beer, awesome. come get some.

Stay the the hell away.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

01-29-2012 05:53:24 | More by ChadQuest
haazer

2.98/5  rDev +14.6%

Well here it is. Idiot's Drool. Lets see what all the ugly noise is about.

A- Brew pours out with no head whatsoever. Its a plum color, with a little bit of reddish hues. Brew looks very still, no carbonation at all.

S- Smells of leather, dark fruits, plums and sour cherry pits. A little bit of soy sauce. Theres a scent my novice nose would clasify as "wine like" but it must be the sherry the brewers describe. Not horrible, but different.

T- Well, this is definitely different. Its very sweet upfront, cherries and plum fruitiness. Theres a bit of sourness her too. However, the booze in here is way too strong. Not masked at all, don't know if the oxidation did this or obnoxius 4.5 years in a barrel. There is a decent aftertaste of caramel and toffee that maybe ups the flavor by .5.

M- Medium to full bodied brew with NO carbonation. Heat in the mouth from the booze.

O- Is this an amazing barrel aged old ale dosed with brett whale that everyone should be after? No...but is it a beer that deserves to be trashed and rated lower than a macro? No. This beer is certainly different and I respect Weyerbacher for taking the risks they do and pushing the boundaries of brewing. May be for some and not for others. Wish I didn't pay as much as I did though damnit!!

01-29-2012 04:23:20 | More by haazer

johnbjaeger

01-25-2012 02:51:51 | More by johnbjaeger
stakem

3.1/5  rDev +19.2%

750ml corked and caged brew I picked up at the release. The recent discussion over how horrible of a beer this was had me anxious to open one since I enjoyed it at the release. The cork comes out without much excitement. A pour into a wine glass doesn't reveal much. This brew is almost still except for a few bubbles that come out of solution as it is swirled. No head formation, no lacing effect to be seen. The brew looks like chew spit, it is brown and very clouded. Through the body it has a reddish brown tint to it and around the edges it is more of a lighter brown.

The aroma is a mixture of toffee and brown sugar initially that gives way to some tangy, fruity and wild brett notes. More whiffs of this brew bring out a balsamic vinegar aspect that increases the tangy portion of this brew's nose. More sniffs bring out a cooked vegetable aspect and a tingle of alcohol runs through. As the brew goes beyond ideal, some oxidative quality shines through the sweetness and tangy aspects of the nose.

The taste is all over the place. It has quite a bit of residual sweetness that tastes of molasses, brown sugar, toffee and caramel. However there is an immediate tartness that brings out fruited quality along with tangy alcohol. All throughout the profile are flavors of old wood that reveals a mild astringency that pricks the tongue and gets exaggerated by the alcohol. The aftertaste includes some earth and and mild tobacco. As the brew gets warmer, it really starts to show levels of oxidation with some mild cardboard quality. However, I dont think the oxidation really distracts from the rest of what is going on in this brew.

This is a full bodied brew that is pretty much still. A rough pour down the center of the glass didn't produce a head. Actually, it didn't even release that many bubbles from solution. The combination of big alcohol impact and wild/tart character just didn't play all that nice together. Regardless, this brew is nowhere near as horrible as people are making it out to be. I suppose if you were drinking this expecting a barrel aged barleywine or old ale that wasn't inoculated with wild bacteria than yeah, I could see the disappointment or disgust in this. I think this brew carries with it a lot of Oud Bruin qualities. For what it was, I had no problem finishing my glass. I hope the wild responses over this brew don't get the folks at Weyerbacher down. Please keep experimenting with wild brews!

01-24-2012 01:45:24 | More by stakem
BdubleEdubleRUN

3.48/5  rDev +33.8%

Thanks Stakem. And yes I mean it.
After the thread I decided to open this bottle, my wife hated it so I ended up drinking the whole thing to myself.
The appearance was okay, not much to look at but it also didn't look as vile as I expected. It poured a very murky brownish color with a slight syrupness. A few bubbles form from the rough pour that don't result in any head. The nose reminds me of Ron Burgandy's office. Rich mahogany and leather bound books, seriously, as well as some tart cherry notes and funk. The nose was the highlight for me and I found it quite enjoyable. The taste was okay/good. Some vegetable juice type flavors with some tartness, cherries, leather and serious barnyard funk. The mouthfeel was somewhat strange almost like the bottle needed to be shaken well before pouring, like there was divided liquids. All in all I thought it was a good beer and would gladly drink it again if I had the chance.
I guess that's what I love about personal tastes and perception. I was pleasantly surprised.
If you don't want to put yourself through the horror of some of the other reviews, send your idiots drool to this idiot who will gladly consume and enjoy.

01-23-2012 17:11:13 | More by BdubleEdubleRUN
richbrew

750ml
If you can take a sip of this beer with a smile on your face, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and go into deep thought about the contents in this bottle, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and actually ponder anything in general about this absolute slop in the bottle, I admire you. This is, hands down the worst ?beer? I’ve ever had.

Pours SLIMEY thick, bad thick, with funk, gelatinous funk, gross funk, made me think to myself, damn this is some gross ass funk. Flat, gross, slimey, made me make the "eeek" face while looking @ it pour and while sitting in the glass. I think this would make Andrew Zimmern cringe if he drank.

Smell is straight up side salad with balsamic vinegar that has been sitting in the diner refrigerator case for 4 1/2 years only to be served up to you in a bottled, liquid formation. Sour, oxidized, soy sauce, non-appetizing, spoiled, and quoting an earlier explanation from someone; "dumpster water". I like that one, suits it well.

Taste, forget about it. One sip is all it took for that 750 & pour to go straight down the pipes. No need to continue, read smell if assistance is needed here.

Overall I was a fool caught up in the early winter hype of this release and never looked back into reviews before trading for this. Shame on me as I am the "idiot" here. Glad I didn't make the release and end up with a case of this crap though. Totally disappointed with Weyerbacher (as I often praise their beers) on this as I feel it should've never made it to the bottle being such a rancid beverage. @ least change the description from Old Ale to something more fitting possibly? I felt kind of mislead, the whole 4 1/2 year Barrel Aged Old Ale & or Barleywine kind of got my juices flowing. This was far off from what I expected and did not take into account that a Barrel Aged Old Ale should taste anything like this.

Cheers

01-23-2012 13:38:49 | More by richbrew
IdrinkGas

01-21-2012 01:13:56 | More by IdrinkGas
Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.