Idiot's Drool - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

poor

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 136 | Reviews: 48
1.53/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to yourefragile for sharing this at last night's tasting. Served in a SAVOR wine glass.

Pours nearly flat. Reddish-brown color and a few bubbles after some heavy swirling. The nose is pretty bad, smelling like dirty socks with a bit of vinegar. White-Birch level right here. Very unfortunately. The flavor has light cherry and some vinegar-like sourness. Touch of oak. Medium flat body. Not a fan at all. Not good.

4.12/5  rDev +58.5%

This poured out as a clear looking brown color. The head fades quickly and only the beer itself coats the glass. The smell of the beer is lightly acidic with some wooden aromas, and some vanilla. Smells similar to a barley wine. The taste of the beer goes through some interesting transitions, strarts with fig, molasses, leather and oak, then vanilla and Brett. The mouthfeel is a little oily and dry. Overall it was pretty good. Glad I got a few samples.

1.41/5  rDev -45.8%

Bottle shared by Richard. Thanks?

The pour is a murky mahogany color with sort of a small off-white head. Wow, what an aroma. Cheese, vinegar, and soy sauce are among the strongest aromas. A bit of liquor and booze, maybe some oak, definitely some oxidation and leather. The flavor is just bad. Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, bad chocolate, and vinegar. Definitely salty with some almost cauliflower taste. God, what is this? Medium bodied with low carbonation.

2.58/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes taken at Denver Rare Beer Tasting 2011.

1.3/5  rDev -50%

Poured from the bottle into my pour Hunahpu's snifter.

Appearance: Pours a murky reddish brown with a bright red hue when the light hits the pour. There is a layer of off white head that goes away completely. This is the only thing remotely okay about this beer.

Smell: Worst...smelling...beer..ever! Malt sweetness with a gross sourness and some baby puke.

Taste: Not much better than the smell. Reminds me of a flanders red aged in a dumpster in summer. Tart red berries, some vinegar, and hot garbage. Terrible.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with extremely mild carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I would have been ashamed to charge people money for this beer. After trying this, it should have gone down the drain and never been spoken of again. Just awful. I almost threw up the morning after the tasting when I poured it down the drain.

2.92/5  rDev +12.3%

I had this courtesty of stakem, enjoyed from a tulip chilled.

The color is murkey brown with turbid clarity and no head, however some 'legs' appear when swirled. The smell is very tart, raisiny with dried fruit the dominant aroma and a subtle caramel/toffee secondary smell. The feel is very acidic, tannin and sharp up front with a lot of residual sweetness giving a full impression on the palate with warmth of alcohol making this a challenge.

The taste is very different than I expected yet has a deep maltiness which is twisted by the brettanomyces in a way the turns the sweet toffee into a raisin flavor that is very tangy and acidic, the malt seems to be sticky and sugary on the palate with a high amount of alcohol warmth in the finish. Overall I enjoyed the chance to try this however it is not a beer that I would seek out. The alcohol strength combined with the raisiny sour flavor is hard to stomach more than a glass of. I was glad I had my brother to share this with.

1.96/5  rDev -24.6%

Not sure if it was Dan or Frank who contributed this gem, but thanks! Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - Quick-dissolving tan foam settles to nothing. Murky dark brown body. Not horrendous for the style, but a tad disappointing.

S - Smells like standing water/outdoor pool, mixed with light burnt and brown sugars, BBQ sauce, and mild acetobacter. Some oak and oxidation as well.

T - Wood, oxidation, and light vinegar. Actually quite bland - so bland I wrote it twice it seems. The alcohol is well-hidden, but this is largely devoid of flavor, and what is there isn't very appealing.

M - Medium-full body, low carbonation, and somewhat watery. Some tannic oak in the finish, and thankfully minimal alcohol. Not offensive I suppose.

D - I can only speculate what caused this disaster of a beer. I'm guessing they had an infected batch Blithering Idiot and keep aging it in barrels, hoping that it would eventually turn into something halfway decent. It seems like they just decided to cut their losses on this one by passing on the expense to the customer. If someone had told me this was water barrel-aged in third use Angel's Share barrels I probably would have believed it. I don't have a problem with bretted old ales, but this was just terrible.

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

From 11/20/13 notes. Have been holding onto a bottle yourefragile picked up for me at the release for a long time after hearing bad things, in hopes time would help the booze fade. 750ml bottle poured into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a murky reddish brown color with no head or carbonation evident. Doesn't look too good.

s - Smells of alcohol, caramel malts, dates, figs, sweet dark fruits, solvent, and lightly sour dark fruits. Sweet and sour, and not a very good mix. Too much alcohol, though not as offensive as I was expecting.

t - This is more what I was expecting (and hoping was not the case). Tastes of alcohol, solvent, sour dark fruits, sugar, harsh bourbon, vinegar, and molasses. Taste what I imagine cleaning products taste like, and vinegar. Very bad tasting.

m - Medium body and no carbonation. High alcohol heat in the taste and extremely harsh.

o - Overall I was hoping it wouldn't be as bad as I had heard it was, but it was just awful. The look and mouthfeel are not great, the nose is worse, and the taste is downright awful, full or harsh alcohol and sugar. I like boozy and sweet beers more than most people and this was a complete drainpour; I couldn't choke down more than 5oz.'s of this one. Would never have again.

2.65/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle shared by yourefragile, not good but not as bad as people are saying it is. Until recently I had never had blithering idiot, at least I know what the base beer tasted like before I had this one.

Beer is brown and still, mostly, a hard swirl awakens some carbonation, a wispy tan head, no lacing, no retention.

Aroma is weird, it is strong, malty, a little brett and some oaky spirits, I think the oak/spirits wins here.

Beer is medium in body, very strong in flavor, hot on the back end and thins out to nearly nothing, the brett is lost in here to me, maybe my palate was wrecked by this point but who cares, some acetic / vinegar character a little harsh. not a great beer. Some enjoy it though.

2.82/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Hazy reddish-brown with a weak head.
Strong unattractive aroma much like a few other old ales, if a bit stronger.
Very low carbonation. Medium-full body.
O: recommended only for fans of the style.

3.58/5  rDev +37.7%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a reddish color with a tan head. The aroma ha a ton of brown sugar and cherry notes, as well as a good dose of vinegar. The flavor is very similar. There is a lot of acidic vinegar, as well as some toffee and sweetness from the brown sugar. I also get a little bit of cherry, plum and other dark fruit notes. There are also hints of sherry and leather in the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.07/5  rDev +18.1%

750ml corked and caged brew I picked up at the release. The recent discussion over how horrible of a beer this was had me anxious to open one since I enjoyed it at the release. The cork comes out without much excitement. A pour into a wine glass doesn't reveal much. This brew is almost still except for a few bubbles that come out of solution as it is swirled. No head formation, no lacing effect to be seen. The brew looks like chew spit, it is brown and very clouded. Through the body it has a reddish brown tint to it and around the edges it is more of a lighter brown.

The aroma is a mixture of toffee and brown sugar initially that gives way to some tangy, fruity and wild brett notes. More whiffs of this brew bring out a balsamic vinegar aspect that increases the tangy portion of this brew's nose. More sniffs bring out a cooked vegetable aspect and a tingle of alcohol runs through. As the brew goes beyond ideal, some oxidative quality shines through the sweetness and tangy aspects of the nose.

The taste is all over the place. It has quite a bit of residual sweetness that tastes of molasses, brown sugar, toffee and caramel. However there is an immediate tartness that brings out fruited quality along with tangy alcohol. All throughout the profile are flavors of old wood that reveals a mild astringency that pricks the tongue and gets exaggerated by the alcohol. The aftertaste includes some earth and and mild tobacco. As the brew gets warmer, it really starts to show levels of oxidation with some mild cardboard quality. However, I dont think the oxidation really distracts from the rest of what is going on in this brew.

This is a full bodied brew that is pretty much still. A rough pour down the center of the glass didn't produce a head. Actually, it didn't even release that many bubbles from solution. The combination of big alcohol impact and wild/tart character just didn't play all that nice together. Regardless, this brew is nowhere near as horrible as people are making it out to be. I suppose if you were drinking this expecting a barrel aged barleywine or old ale that wasn't inoculated with wild bacteria than yeah, I could see the disappointment or disgust in this. I think this brew carries with it a lot of Oud Bruin qualities. For what it was, I had no problem finishing my glass. I hope the wild responses over this brew don't get the folks at Weyerbacher down. Please keep experimenting with wild brews!

2.06/5  rDev -20.8%

Free samples were being poured at the release by Weyerbacher. Even though I was shut out of getting my allotment, I still was able to sample a few times. Poured into a sampler glass.

A: Mahogany brown colored body with absolutely no head, lace or retention of any kind. These were being poured and placed on the table so by the time I got it, anything that was there would have settled out. Bleak looking.

S: Rich dark cherries, sweet maple syrup, a bit of funky brett and a robust caramel malt base. The oak wood really opens up towards the back end of the aroma bringing in a hint of an alcohol note with it.

T: Whoa, that is unlike anything I've had before. At first, there's a very sweet maple syrup flavor along with some great wood notes and bourbon. End of the palate brings in a bit of tartness and funk with a black cherry fruity element. Brown sugar is in the finish.

M: Really no carbonation, thick and syrupy. I would like more carbonation although the syrupy texture of this beer is different.

Honestly, there's nothing like this beer out there that I've ever tried before. The combination of flavors is very unique, glad I was able to try but not worth the money.

1.21/5  rDev -53.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tasting glass. It poured a dark brown, caramel like color with little to no head and a lot of sediment floating around.

From the aroma it's immediately apparent something is very wrong in this. I do get some notes of brown sugar, maple and wood to it but there is an overwhelming sour, rotten fruit flavor to it. It smells as if something could have died in it.

The taste doesn't really get any better. I get a lot of dry, woody characteristics to it with sour cherries, bourbon and brown sugar but again it all gets overshadowed by the awful rotten fruit flavor to it. It's undrinkable, a few sips is all I can handle.

The mouthfeel is heavy with low carbonation. Overall it was a completely awful and undrinkable beer. It really tasted like something was rotting in it. It's inexcusable that anyone charged money for this product.

1.32/5  rDev -49.2%

From 750mL C&C bottle to snifter on 2/4/12
*From notes

-- Thanks, John (not really, though) --

A: I can't say I've ever seen a beer that looks like human feces. Until now, at least. A firm pour yields no head, no lacing, no collar, no nothin'.

S: When colder, the nose is actually somewhat pleasant. Hints of bourbon and that "Old Ale" sweetness come through nicely. As it warms though, there's a rancid, rotting quality to it that makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

T: I think the vomit in my mouth tasted better than the beer. This abomination tastes like metallic, lactic asshole and unwashed taint. Simply and unapologetically disgusting.

M: A flat, thin and uncarbonated mess.

O: Easily one of the worst two or three beers - no wait - liquids I've ever put into my mouth. It upsets me greatly that the good folks at Weyerbacher charged people for this, knowing full well that this was epically terrible.

I'll tell you this: Idiot's Drool will go down in history as THE epic beer fail of the 21st century. Years from now, it will be hunted down with fervor by those seeking to punish their palates. Sam Adams Triple Bock and Cave Creek Chili Beer better watch out, as this is soon to be (if not already) the dirty, unwiped asshole of the beer world.

1.5/5  rDev -42.3%

This bottle did not taste like bile, as reported by some. Just syrupy nail polish remover. Terrible slimy mouthfeel.

2.61/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Edit: After revisiting this a couple times, it has gotten worse and is now virtually undrinkable...

Pours a dark hazy muddy brown color with zero head. Attempts to swirl and induce any head is futile; very minimal spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with dark dark fruits, leather, oak and light light bourbon. As it warms more you get apple skin and vinous grape notes. Some sherry/light oxidation notes are also present. Really complex...

The tastes begin quite tart surprisingly. Dark dark fruits, booze soaked dark toasted bread, sour cherry and vinous dry soaked oak. As I further sample I get more complex flavors of leather, Brett barnyard funk/mustiness and some pitted stone fruits. Once again really complex and different than anything I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with zero carbonation, which I usually hate but I don't mind it here. Finish is super dry and oaky which is expected for 4 years of barrel aging.

Overall I am really pleased with this beer. As others have stated, you will either love it or hate it. I'm on the side that is a big fan. Hopefully over the next year or so the bottle conditioning will up the carbonation a tad to add to the only downside this beer currently has. I imagine this is how many beers used to be back in ancient brewing times with lots of oak character and slight Brett flavors. Complex and recommended in my opinion; maybe not worth the original elevated price tag but still tasty and worth a go if you don't have to give up a king's ransom for it.

3.62/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml corked and caged bottle courtesy of Soonami. Served in a tulip. Pours a dull, plum-colored hue somewhat akin to muddy water. Clarity is fairly murky and there is no head or lacing. I have to say that I dig the nose on this beer - tobacco, vanilla, leather and cider vinegar notes. Taste follows nose; however, there are also some caramel/toffee and coffee notes. The vinegar present in the nose insinuates itself throughout the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with absolutely no carbonation. There is some acidity; not at all overpowering, but definitely tickles the salivary glands a bit. Overall, I don't understand all the hate on this beer. It is definitely not what I would consider an Old Ale, perhaps closer to a dark sour. That said my rating is more to taste than style on this review. I think a little carbonation might have helped dissipate some of the intensity of this beer; however, it's definitely not deserving of all negativity in my opinion. If you don't want your bottles, send them my way.

2.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Shared by a kind young lady at The Trappe Door while hanging out at the bar. Served from bottle into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky brown with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, subtle oxidation, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall I wasn't really impressed with this one. There was just something that was very off-putting about this one that did not agree with my palate. I was excited to see this one come out to be shared, but once I smelled and tasted it I was regretting that I volunteered to try this one. But hey, tickers gonna tick. Worth trying if it is given to you, but I wouldn't personally buy it myself.

1.89/5  rDev -27.3%

A - Brown colored beer, pretty dark. There was a slight, brown head on there that didn't stay for long and left nothing on the sides.

S - Kind of an odd smell on the nose. Brown sugar, some barrel, apples. The worst is just this kind of wet-dog smell at the end. Not sure what is making that happen but it's not a good thing.

T - Think of pond water and wet dog. That's the back end of this. The beginning of the taste was somewhat better, with some brown sugar, apples, some brett. There is a lot or barrel characteristic, I guess, but the horrible flavors really obliterate any redeeming characteristics this beer had. I don't know how it got all these high reviews, this is atrocious.

M - Kind of flat, not really adding to the rotten taste. Full bodied.

O - Not a good beer, mostly hated it, and only drank enough to review before pouring the rest down the drain. Massively disappointing. I'm assuming they left this in the barrel for 4.5 years because it was just awful and they were hoping it would get better. Nope.

3.62/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to msulinski for picking me up a bottle of this beer, one I had to have immediately after reading about its release. If you ever have a chance to trade with Marc, jump. This box was one of many that have left me knocked on my ass.

Big 750 ML bottle with minimalist artwork, the cork come free with a gentle sigh. Pour is instantly recognizable as liquid rust, with an equal amount of head & carbonation to that noble metal. Smell is deep & dank, like nothing, edible or otherwise, I've ever experienced. Lanky oak, oiled leather, sharp tannins, almost acidic at points.

Idiot's Drool is sharper than a +2 Dagger of Unknown Oddness. Whatever bugs were introduced are in control, leaving a tartness overlaying the rest of the brew. Underneath is a sheet of flexible brown leather, & a strong shot of wine that almost crosses into vinegar when coupled with the tartness. Bourbon is visible only as a warmth in the back of the throat. Acidic. Oak is wickedly drying, puckering. Other stuff links up that's not so identifiable. This cretin has more layers than the rainforest. It is flat, but hey. Plowering through half the bomber is going to take at least 1/3 of a Lord of the Rings disk.

Not sure how to rate this. Tasty? Yes. Bizarre? Yes. Drinkable? Uhhh. Bravo for the effort & the gorgeous complexity. Ultimately, a good beer that breathes on the mirror of great. Almost.

1.66/5  rDev -36.2%

thanks damico for the swap. anxious (more in the nervous way) to try this one. poured into a duck rabbit snifter.

a - cork came out with no pop. a hard pour yields no head an no carbonation. this thing is flat and doesn't look promising. old ale coloring of deep brown with a reddish tint to the light, but there is simply no life in this beer.

s - boozy nutmeg. dark fruits. some cherry. did i mention heat?

t - wow, sludgy. i took a big gulp and that was a mistake. a bit of sourness with old ale flavors deep under lots of booze. sadly this is not good. had there been some carbonation this could've been not too bad...but the sludgy thickness and flatness make this worse than discovering an unfinished beer in the morning and deciding to give it a whirl. like a shitty wine.

m - my mouth feels like it is not looking happy.

o - overall i went into this with an open mind, but sadly i am unable to get through a pour of this. it is flat. it is boozy and sludgy. if just taste like a beer that has gone bad. like a growler that wasn't opened even close to fresh. the flavoring isn't great, but the flatness makes it undrinkable. i could potentially make it through a glass of this if i sipped it all night (like a poorly made mixed drink or liquor)...but why do that? hello drain...here i come.

3.36/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle into NB snifter. Bottle thanks to StormKing47. Cheers Josh.

A: Pours a thick syrupy hazy brownish-red color with no life to it (no head or bubbles at all). Sits still in the glass.
S: Sharp tart cherry vinegar, dry gritty barrel, maybe a hint of soy or Worcestershire, booze, and faintly sweet caramel and leather. Honestly, while I’m not loving the smell it’s not as bad as I was expecting given some of the colorful descriptions in the other reviews, although it definitely gets pretty sharp as it warms. Reminds me of some of the Bruery’s beers :o
T: Follows the nose with dominating flavors of sour black cherries, sweet syrupy caramel, toffee, tannic barrel, mild chocolate, and tons of leather. The finish is drying and gritty and the aftertaste is lightly sweet and full of dark fruits and a hint of soy sauce. Red berry jam, raisins, lemon pith, faint brandy, and balsamic vinegar come through as it warms. Actually pretty darn complex. Tastes like a sour cherry old ale.
M: One of the most thick and syrupy beers I’ve had. Sits very heavy and viscous in my mouth. Extremely low carbonation, almost none. Almost gritty mouthfeel.
O: Shit, did I like this beer?! While not amazing I thought it was pretty drinkable – definitely not a drain pour. Aged old ale flavors are easy to pick out, gritty sour cherry is easy to pick out, booze barrel is mellow and sweet. I bet if this was stupid-hyped from a high profile brewery people would think it was Jesus tears. Thanks for the bottle Josh.

1.63/5  rDev -37.3%

Not sure who to "thank" for this...poured into Darkness tulip.

A - Looks like a mud water, hazy/mirky, faint head.

S - Tons of oak and booze...my nostrils hurt. 3-week old fruit, brett, booze, and 180 day old hot tub water. Holy crap, please no more!

T - Booze, super sharp sourness that's almost impossible to get down, pool water, brett. What the heck is going on here? I don't think this beer even knows what it's doing.

M - Too thin, uber-light carbonation, horrible finish.

O - Uh, no more please. I would use this beer as a torture technique for my enemies. Otherwise, down the drain it would go.

3.51/5  rDev +35%

750ml unlabeled bottle graciously shared by unbalancedbuds at the Copper Mine Pub.

Appearance: Pours a fairly crimson tinged burgandy brown with no head, no retention, and no lace.

Smell: Some wonderful character here. Loads of brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, sherry, and earthy sweet oak.

Taste: The sweet oak and sherry dominate and dwarf the lovely brown sugar character I adored in the nose.

Mouthfeel: Thick bodied with very low carbonation. A bit syrupy.

Drinkability: Goes down fairly easy but not a tasty enough beverage to want more. It does smell amazing though!

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.