Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Idiot's Drool - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.68/5  rDev +3.9%

Shared by a kind young lady at The Trappe Door while hanging out at the bar. Served from bottle into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky brown with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, subtle oxidation, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall I wasn't really impressed with this one. There was just something that was very off-putting about this one that did not agree with my palate. I was excited to see this one come out to be shared, but once I smelled and tasted it I was regretting that I volunteered to try this one. But hey, tickers gonna tick. Worth trying if it is given to you, but I wouldn't personally buy it myself.

2.56/5  rDev -0.8%

Tasted blind courtesy of Retail1LO, thanks again!

Corked and caged 750 bottle, opens with no pop. Pours a murky brown color with no head, is this flat? Hope not.

Aromas are very nutty, boozy, with sweet stewed fruits, and brown sugar notes.

Taste is really sweet, with some raisin notes. Some general booziness, sharp vinegar, light vanilla, and nuttiness. Beer is flavorful, but the finish is flat, with a bit of alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied, but really lacks carbonation, and is almost flat.

Overall, unfortunately this beer is flawed, it's too sweet, infected, and is very low carbonated. Too bad too, because it actually tastes and smells like this could have been good but something went wrong here.

One last note, I think my review is being kind. Because the more I drink this, the more I dislike it. This is definitely a miss, and I might not drink the whole bottle. (edit : more than half the bottle was consumed by the drain, hope it liked this more than I did)

Bottle I got in a trade with murchmac.

A-Pours hazy, murky brown with no head to speak of, just a thin, off white ring of tiny bubbles.

S-Plenty of brettanomyces influence here. Sherry, balsamic vinegar, bready funk, fruit cake, bourbon. Smells like a super oxidized barley wine, which is what it is, I guess.

T/M-Sharp, vinous acidity cuts through the otherwise soft, inviting bourbony caramel and oak sweetness. Bread pudding and burnt brown sugar clashes with vinegary tartness.

O-Ultimately, I like it. And I respect the hell out of Weyerbacher for committing to this project. Not their best, but a very interesting beer worth trying. Split it with a few people, a whole bottle might be too much for one sitting.

4.69/5  rDev +81.8%

Shared with DaveHS, thanks buddy.

A: Pours a beautiful brown with burgundy and cherry undertones. Very little to no carbonation but it doesn't seem to affect the overall experience.

S: Smells incredible with notes of stewed fruits, brandy, bread pudding and sour cherries. Some of the best aromas I've ever inhaled.

T: Amazing balance of sweet and sour flavors. A hint of sour cherries and acidity on the front. Rich flavors of toffee, carrot cake, vanilla and pomegranate on the mid-palate. Finishes bright and tart with all the flavors melting together beautifully.

M: Low carbonation takes away from the mouthfeel a little but the texture of the oak barrels adds a nice depth, making it quite enjoyable.

O: Overall this was an incredible beer that I really never thought I'd get to try. Highly recommended if you can ever get your hands on one.

2.61/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Edit: After revisiting this a couple times, it has gotten worse and is now virtually undrinkable...

Pours a dark hazy muddy brown color with zero head. Attempts to swirl and induce any head is futile; very minimal spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with dark dark fruits, leather, oak and light light bourbon. As it warms more you get apple skin and vinous grape notes. Some sherry/light oxidation notes are also present. Really complex...

The tastes begin quite tart surprisingly. Dark dark fruits, booze soaked dark toasted bread, sour cherry and vinous dry soaked oak. As I further sample I get more complex flavors of leather, Brett barnyard funk/mustiness and some pitted stone fruits. Once again really complex and different than anything I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with zero carbonation, which I usually hate but I don't mind it here. Finish is super dry and oaky which is expected for 4 years of barrel aging.

Overall I am really pleased with this beer. As others have stated, you will either love it or hate it. I'm on the side that is a big fan. Hopefully over the next year or so the bottle conditioning will up the carbonation a tad to add to the only downside this beer currently has. I imagine this is how many beers used to be back in ancient brewing times with lots of oak character and slight Brett flavors. Complex and recommended in my opinion; maybe not worth the original elevated price tag but still tasty and worth a go if you don't have to give up a king's ransom for it.

3.62/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to msulinski for picking me up a bottle of this beer, one I had to have immediately after reading about its release. If you ever have a chance to trade with Marc, jump. This box was one of many that have left me knocked on my ass.

Big 750 ML bottle with minimalist artwork, the cork come free with a gentle sigh. Pour is instantly recognizable as liquid rust, with an equal amount of head & carbonation to that noble metal. Smell is deep & dank, like nothing, edible or otherwise, I've ever experienced. Lanky oak, oiled leather, sharp tannins, almost acidic at points.

Idiot's Drool is sharper than a +2 Dagger of Unknown Oddness. Whatever bugs were introduced are in control, leaving a tartness overlaying the rest of the brew. Underneath is a sheet of flexible brown leather, & a strong shot of wine that almost crosses into vinegar when coupled with the tartness. Bourbon is visible only as a warmth in the back of the throat. Acidic. Oak is wickedly drying, puckering. Other stuff links up that's not so identifiable. This cretin has more layers than the rainforest. It is flat, but hey. Plowering through half the bomber is going to take at least 1/3 of a Lord of the Rings disk.

Not sure how to rate this. Tasty? Yes. Bizarre? Yes. Drinkable? Uhhh. Bravo for the effort & the gorgeous complexity. Ultimately, a good beer that breathes on the mirror of great. Almost.

1.96/5  rDev -24%

Not sure if it was Dan or Frank who contributed this gem, but thanks! Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - Quick-dissolving tan foam settles to nothing. Murky dark brown body. Not horrendous for the style, but a tad disappointing.

S - Smells like standing water/outdoor pool, mixed with light burnt and brown sugars, BBQ sauce, and mild acetobacter. Some oak and oxidation as well.

T - Wood, oxidation, and light vinegar. Actually quite bland - so bland I wrote it twice it seems. The alcohol is well-hidden, but this is largely devoid of flavor, and what is there isn't very appealing.

M - Medium-full body, low carbonation, and somewhat watery. Some tannic oak in the finish, and thankfully minimal alcohol. Not offensive I suppose.

D - I can only speculate what caused this disaster of a beer. I'm guessing they had an infected batch Blithering Idiot and keep aging it in barrels, hoping that it would eventually turn into something halfway decent. It seems like they just decided to cut their losses on this one by passing on the expense to the customer. If someone had told me this was water barrel-aged in third use Angel's Share barrels I probably would have believed it. I don't have a problem with bretted old ales, but this was just terrible.

1.63/5  rDev -36.8%

Not sure who to "thank" for this...poured into Darkness tulip.

A - Looks like a mud water, hazy/mirky, faint head.

S - Tons of oak and booze...my nostrils hurt. 3-week old fruit, brett, booze, and 180 day old hot tub water. Holy crap, please no more!

T - Booze, super sharp sourness that's almost impossible to get down, pool water, brett. What the heck is going on here? I don't think this beer even knows what it's doing.

M - Too thin, uber-light carbonation, horrible finish.

O - Uh, no more please. I would use this beer as a torture technique for my enemies. Otherwise, down the drain it would go.

1.89/5  rDev -26.7%

A - Brown colored beer, pretty dark. There was a slight, brown head on there that didn't stay for long and left nothing on the sides.

S - Kind of an odd smell on the nose. Brown sugar, some barrel, apples. The worst is just this kind of wet-dog smell at the end. Not sure what is making that happen but it's not a good thing.

T - Think of pond water and wet dog. That's the back end of this. The beginning of the taste was somewhat better, with some brown sugar, apples, some brett. There is a lot or barrel characteristic, I guess, but the horrible flavors really obliterate any redeeming characteristics this beer had. I don't know how it got all these high reviews, this is atrocious.

M - Kind of flat, not really adding to the rotten taste. Full bodied.

O - Not a good beer, mostly hated it, and only drank enough to review before pouring the rest down the drain. Massively disappointing. I'm assuming they left this in the barrel for 4.5 years because it was just awful and they were hoping it would get better. Nope.

4.1/5  rDev +58.9%

One of the bottles I picked up from the release party. Poured into a snifter and split two ways.

The pour yields a pond-water flat liquid that is viscous, thick, garnet-brown in color. A swirl produces a slick oily film on the walls of the glass. There doesn't seem to be much residual sugar left in this, as there are no legs.

The aroma is deep and complex. It has sherry-like qualities; no surprise that it is slightly oxidized given the 4 years that it spent in oak barrels that are not impervious to oxygen. Luckily, this isn't the cardboard oxidation, so it actually goes well, as I will describe. The nose is mainly raisins and dates up front, which then give way to tart cherries, toffee, caramel, and light bourbon/vanilla notes.

The flavor is similarly well-balanced, and it adds a touch of bretty funk to the overall profile. Like Ray Daniels suggests, this Old Ale has some bretty notes that harken back to the old ales originally brewed in England over 100 years ago. A fitting accompaniment to Weyerbacher's English-style barleywine base. The components of the aroma that I had mentioned are all evident here, and they are also joined by some leathery notes (a la HotD Adam, though not as intense) that really deepen the complexity of this aged brew. At 12% ABV, you would never know until it starts to hit you. Not hot, not warm, not nothing. This is extremely mellow and smooth.

Thick and viscous, but not nearly carbonated enough, even for a barleywine. Even with the brett, this still has plenty of body to it. Since they got 1 of 2 criteria, I figure this is pretty average. There is a little bit of dissolved CO2 that gives it a little less of a one-note texture, but not enough at all.

Overall, this is a very interesting and compelling beer. Not what I was expecting, that's for sure, but looking at things historically as well as flavor-wise, this beer is certainly a winner. I love the mellow notes of barrels that meld so well with the base beer. The bretty wildness is a welcome addition, as it is done tastefully enough to just augment the overall experience.

3.5/5  rDev +35.7%

Pours a murky brown liquid that looks viscous. Sort of cloudy with minimal to no head. Smell is rich malt with lots of bourbon oak and a mild twang. Sweet with a hint of tart. Taste is immensely complex beginning with rich malt bourbon oak vanilla then a twang of tartness with a tannic biting finish. Overall sweet but the tartness is a wonderful component . Almost liquid bourbon barrel at some points. The mouth feel is rich and full body with minimal carbonation allowing the liquid to coat your tongue. It was a pleasure to enjoy a bottle on a cold winter's eve. If you don’t like it and have more bottles hit me up!

3.36/5  rDev +30.2%

Tasted at the release and from one of my bottles. Well I can say I never tasted a beer like this. Zero head, many smells hit the nose. It is a lot to take in all at once. At this point I was not quite sure what was going on. The many flavors will hit you hard and keep coming. Overall after tasting I would say give this a try if you can get some. It is a one of a kind beer tasting experience. Still not sure if like it, but I did enjoy trying to figure this one out. When I drink some more I will update, if I can..

2.47/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got to sample this at Capones Black Friday event courtesy of Centennial, thanks a ton Steve, I'm so glad I got to try it.

Poured from a 750 bottle that had warmed up into a tasting glass.

A: A deep murky dark brown color with no head and no glass lacing.

S: Heavy fruit smells with some sourness. I'm getting some cider notes with some barnyard must and lots of alcohol.

T: Ok, this is different. I got mostly apple cider type flavors with some sour cherry. Then the musty flavors of leather, wood, wet hay, slight barnyard funk and sourness that leads to an almost soy sauce type flavor. Finish is tart and alcoholic.

M: Full, sour, coating, alcoholic and very little carbonation. Very thick viscous liquid.

O: I can't believe this is how Weyerbacher wanted to this beer to turn out, it just is not appealing in any way. As a couple of us noted it almost tasted infected.

I'm sorry to those who rated this beer highly and bought a bunch of them, but to pay $ 23 a bottle and get this product is unacceptable. This is a bad beer, no way around it. Great ideas often go awry and this one has done just that.

1.15/5  rDev -55.4%

Thanks to Adam H at his birthday tasting.

This one didn't make a sound on opening and all of us got worried at that. In theory this is an interesting beer, a big barrel aged barleywine with brett.

It pours a muddy amber with no head or lace of any kind. Our bottle was flat. On the nose there is a mixture of vanilla, oak, rum-soaked figs, and a slight funk. The nose is actually alright but it lacks power due to lack of carbonation. In the mouth the beer falls completely apart. There are hints here and there of barrel, dark fruit, and some brett characteristics, but no carbonation at all holding it together. I'm not sure how well those flavors would have melded anyway, but I really would have liked to have found out honestly rather than being forced to assume that they don't work at all. The mouthfeel was sticky and completely flat.

Overall, as one of us said, "this is a failure." It is an interesting idea for certain, and I would not balk at the opportunity to try it again, but I cannot recommend it at all based on the flat bottle that six of us drainpoured.

EDIT - This beer has become a legend of our tasting group. Those of us who had it talk about it like Walter Sobchak talks about Vietnam. Our best guess is that they brewed some Blithering Idiot, it got infected a bit, and rather than dumping, they decided to age it in bourbon barrels to see if anything could be made of it. Four and a half years later they finally had to cut bait, and instead of doing the honorable thing and dumping this stuff down a deep hole, they foisted on a bunch of us idiots who paid $23 a bottle for it.

2.54/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle thanks to Lauren. Pours a dark murky crimson with a very slowly advancing ring of bubbles, fighting their way upward through a thick, dark swamp. Nose is a strange collage of burnt brown sugar, leather, fermented apples, sweaty socks. Thick flavor profile of massive, wet barrel, wet leather, caramelized brown sugar, finish is all fermented apple and sour cherry. Heavy and kind of oppressive, major alcohol heat on the finish.

To my friend this was disgusting throughout, though I can see the merit in it to an extent. That being said, it's a mish-mash of flavors and styles that aren't very harmonious or pleasant on any level. I'm pretty surprised at how much the brett influenced this. It reminds me of McKenzie's barrel work from 2009-2010. If you like massive barrel influence and slightly sour old ales with burning alcohol heat throughout, seek this out immediately.

4.39/5  rDev +70.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to a generous BA i got to try this at a tasting recently.
A: Deep brown body with a slight half inch head.

S: Caramel, cherries/fruit, some maple syrup and a bit of oaky funk.

T: Wow! That's what we all said simultaneously upon first sip. Not at all what we were expecting, but in a good way. At first, there's a sweet maple syrup/brown sugar taste combined with an oaky/bouron taste and then on the back end of the palate brings the surprise of a tarty/funky flavor with a nice balance of sweetness int he after taste.

M: Mild carbonation and thick and syrupy. Really sticks to the side of the glass.

Well i can truly say i have not had anything like this beer. Perhaps the initial wow was like the first time i tried Tart of Darkness, but two totally different beers. Really unique. Reminded us all of a barely wine with tartness, but in a good way that left us all contemplating opening a second bottle. Very pleasant surprise. Worth seeking out.

2.06/5  rDev -20.2%

Free samples were being poured at the release by Weyerbacher. Even though I was shut out of getting my allotment, I still was able to sample a few times. Poured into a sampler glass.

A: Mahogany brown colored body with absolutely no head, lace or retention of any kind. These were being poured and placed on the table so by the time I got it, anything that was there would have settled out. Bleak looking.

S: Rich dark cherries, sweet maple syrup, a bit of funky brett and a robust caramel malt base. The oak wood really opens up towards the back end of the aroma bringing in a hint of an alcohol note with it.

T: Whoa, that is unlike anything I've had before. At first, there's a very sweet maple syrup flavor along with some great wood notes and bourbon. End of the palate brings in a bit of tartness and funk with a black cherry fruity element. Brown sugar is in the finish.

M: Really no carbonation, thick and syrupy. I would like more carbonation although the syrupy texture of this beer is different.

Honestly, there's nothing like this beer out there that I've ever tried before. The combination of flavors is very unique, glad I was able to try but not worth the money.

4.35/5  rDev +68.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured during Weyerbacher's release and I scored a few bottles too.

A-was a deep mahogany color, not much lacing but due to a 12% abv.

S-red wine vinegar was the brunt of it followed by oak and bourbon.

T-initial flavor was full on oak, bourbon and heavonly goodness with some cherry notes. Then it turned funky and sour. Which is awesome in so many different levels.

M-was a bit syrupy and thick but I am sure due to the 4.5 years of aging it lost some water due to evaporation and got that. No issue with mouthfeel due to the sheer complexity of the beer.

Overall-I bought 6 bottles at $23 a bottle so...what the hell do you think!!! It was awesome and one of a kind, would place between a barley wine and wild/sour ale.

4.12/5  rDev +59.7%

This poured out as a clear looking brown color. The head fades quickly and only the beer itself coats the glass. The smell of the beer is lightly acidic with some wooden aromas, and some vanilla. Smells similar to a barley wine. The taste of the beer goes through some interesting transitions, strarts with fig, molasses, leather and oak, then vanilla and Brett. The mouthfeel is a little oily and dry. Overall it was pretty good. Glad I got a few samples.

3.51/5  rDev +36%

750ml unlabeled bottle graciously shared by unbalancedbuds at the Copper Mine Pub.

Appearance: Pours a fairly crimson tinged burgandy brown with no head, no retention, and no lace.

Smell: Some wonderful character here. Loads of brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, sherry, and earthy sweet oak.

Taste: The sweet oak and sherry dominate and dwarf the lovely brown sugar character I adored in the nose.

Mouthfeel: Thick bodied with very low carbonation. A bit syrupy.

Drinkability: Goes down fairly easy but not a tasty enough beverage to want more. It does smell amazing though!

4.42/5  rDev +71.3%

Poured at GABF, 4.5 years old at this point, Weyerbacher rolled through with a case of unlabled 750s. They made note that this was never officially released. Reviewed from notes.

A- Chestnut brown and a pretty lovely sandy tan head. Impressive legs.

S- Very sweet- honey, molasses, and some brandy.

T- Taste is decadent- very sweet, some vanilla, caramel, and lots of brandy-soaked fruit. You can tell this one sat on wood for a long time. Brett is hard to pick out with the strong alcohol component. Well, after the first few sips it comes out a bit more- some jammy berry tartness in the finish. Odd, unique flavor profile.

M- Hot, even when it's this old. Works well for the beer though, I'm not going to fault it for that. Good carbonation. Great lingering finish has me bumping to 4.0... really nice staying power.

O- Impressive- would like to try this one again. Very hot and heavy, but when a beer can pull it off it's all the better in my book.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.