Idiot's Drool - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Idiot's DroolIdiot's Drool

poor

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Old Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: ShogoKawada on 10-07-2011

Idiot's drool is Blithering Idiot barrel aged for 4.5 years. A full-bodied, deep burgundy ale with an incredibly complex character. Extended aging has imbued this beer with notes of vanilla, oak, leather and sweet sherry. A mild acidity and subtle carbonation rounds out the palate. 840 bottle brewery only release.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 136 | Reviews: 48
1.66/5  rDev -36.2%

thanks damico for the swap. anxious (more in the nervous way) to try this one. poured into a duck rabbit snifter.

a - cork came out with no pop. a hard pour yields no head an no carbonation. this thing is flat and doesn't look promising. old ale coloring of deep brown with a reddish tint to the light, but there is simply no life in this beer.

s - boozy nutmeg. dark fruits. some cherry. did i mention heat?

t - wow, sludgy. i took a big gulp and that was a mistake. a bit of sourness with old ale flavors deep under lots of booze. sadly this is not good. had there been some carbonation this could've been not too bad...but the sludgy thickness and flatness make this worse than discovering an unfinished beer in the morning and deciding to give it a whirl. like a shitty wine.

m - my mouth feels like it is not looking happy.

o - overall i went into this with an open mind, but sadly i am unable to get through a pour of this. it is flat. it is boozy and sludgy. if just taste like a beer that has gone bad. like a growler that wasn't opened even close to fresh. the flavoring isn't great, but the flatness makes it undrinkable. i could potentially make it through a glass of this if i sipped it all night (like a poorly made mixed drink or liquor)...but why do that? hello drain...here i come.

3.63/5  rDev +39.6%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a murky brown color with zero head. Looks, as others have mentioned, like dirty water. Has a reddish hue to it as well, but the complete lack of head is a bit disappointing.

S - Dark fruit, bourbon vanilla, and a lot of heat to it. Also hints of caramel and toffee that reach the nostrils. Cherry vanilla with more dark fruits providing the backbone, all backed nicely by caramel and toffee. Also seem to be picking up some maple as well. Very complex and intriguing.

T - Follows closely from the nose, with a little more heat behind it than I even expected. A definite almost sour finish to it, but not entirely unpleasant. Not quite on par with BA4D, but at the same time not the disappointment I was anticipating with all of the super negative reviews. The barrel treatment is not quite as smooth as it could be, but it's not terribly done either.

M - Super flat, which is disappointing, but to be expected from a beer that spent over four years in barrels. Also feels like it has been fairly thinned out over time.

O - Overall, a decent beer, but not quite on par with a lot of other brewery-only releases. Still a nice attempt at the style, and something I would pick up again if it was readily available.

1.21/5  rDev -53.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tasting glass. It poured a dark brown, caramel like color with little to no head and a lot of sediment floating around.

From the aroma it's immediately apparent something is very wrong in this. I do get some notes of brown sugar, maple and wood to it but there is an overwhelming sour, rotten fruit flavor to it. It smells as if something could have died in it.

The taste doesn't really get any better. I get a lot of dry, woody characteristics to it with sour cherries, bourbon and brown sugar but again it all gets overshadowed by the awful rotten fruit flavor to it. It's undrinkable, a few sips is all I can handle.

The mouthfeel is heavy with low carbonation. Overall it was a completely awful and undrinkable beer. It really tasted like something was rotting in it. It's inexcusable that anyone charged money for this product.

2.92/5  rDev +12.3%

I had this courtesty of stakem, enjoyed from a tulip chilled.

The color is murkey brown with turbid clarity and no head, however some 'legs' appear when swirled. The smell is very tart, raisiny with dried fruit the dominant aroma and a subtle caramel/toffee secondary smell. The feel is very acidic, tannin and sharp up front with a lot of residual sweetness giving a full impression on the palate with warmth of alcohol making this a challenge.

The taste is very different than I expected yet has a deep maltiness which is twisted by the brettanomyces in a way the turns the sweet toffee into a raisin flavor that is very tangy and acidic, the malt seems to be sticky and sugary on the palate with a high amount of alcohol warmth in the finish. Overall I enjoyed the chance to try this however it is not a beer that I would seek out. The alcohol strength combined with the raisiny sour flavor is hard to stomach more than a glass of. I was glad I had my brother to share this with.

1.12/5  rDev -56.9%

If you review beers and are trying to get your average down, go ahead and open this beer, it will get the job done.
The pour makes you think you of stagnant water, really, i think everyone in the room was thinking swamp. no carbination, just murky brown.
The aroma and flavors are that of a 20oz bottle filled with tobacco spit, a sweaty pair of cotton haynes socks, your dog after a bath, really i am not in hyperbole mode right now this is honest, and dishwater...granted you just ate some apple pie last night and there is crusty residue on the plates, so you have that going for you. score.
The mouthfeel is as close to slimy as i have ever had in a beer, awesome. come get some.

Stay the the hell away.

If you bought a case.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

2.99/5  rDev +15%

Well here it is. Idiot's Drool. Lets see what all the ugly noise is about.

A- Brew pours out with no head whatsoever. Its a plum color, with a little bit of reddish hues. Brew looks very still, no carbonation at all.

S- Smells of leather, dark fruits, plums and sour cherry pits. A little bit of soy sauce. Theres a scent my novice nose would clasify as "wine like" but it must be the sherry the brewers describe. Not horrible, but different.

T- Well, this is definitely different. Its very sweet upfront, cherries and plum fruitiness. Theres a bit of sourness her too. However, the booze in here is way too strong. Not masked at all, don't know if the oxidation did this or obnoxius 4.5 years in a barrel. There is a decent aftertaste of caramel and toffee that maybe ups the flavor by .5.

M- Medium to full bodied brew with NO carbonation. Heat in the mouth from the booze.

O- Is this an amazing barrel aged old ale dosed with brett whale that everyone should be after? No...but is it a beer that deserves to be trashed and rated lower than a macro? No. This beer is certainly different and I respect Weyerbacher for taking the risks they do and pushing the boundaries of brewing. May be for some and not for others. Wish I didn't pay as much as I did though damnit!!

3.07/5  rDev +18.1%

750ml corked and caged brew I picked up at the release. The recent discussion over how horrible of a beer this was had me anxious to open one since I enjoyed it at the release. The cork comes out without much excitement. A pour into a wine glass doesn't reveal much. This brew is almost still except for a few bubbles that come out of solution as it is swirled. No head formation, no lacing effect to be seen. The brew looks like chew spit, it is brown and very clouded. Through the body it has a reddish brown tint to it and around the edges it is more of a lighter brown.

The aroma is a mixture of toffee and brown sugar initially that gives way to some tangy, fruity and wild brett notes. More whiffs of this brew bring out a balsamic vinegar aspect that increases the tangy portion of this brew's nose. More sniffs bring out a cooked vegetable aspect and a tingle of alcohol runs through. As the brew goes beyond ideal, some oxidative quality shines through the sweetness and tangy aspects of the nose.

The taste is all over the place. It has quite a bit of residual sweetness that tastes of molasses, brown sugar, toffee and caramel. However there is an immediate tartness that brings out fruited quality along with tangy alcohol. All throughout the profile are flavors of old wood that reveals a mild astringency that pricks the tongue and gets exaggerated by the alcohol. The aftertaste includes some earth and and mild tobacco. As the brew gets warmer, it really starts to show levels of oxidation with some mild cardboard quality. However, I dont think the oxidation really distracts from the rest of what is going on in this brew.

This is a full bodied brew that is pretty much still. A rough pour down the center of the glass didn't produce a head. Actually, it didn't even release that many bubbles from solution. The combination of big alcohol impact and wild/tart character just didn't play all that nice together. Regardless, this brew is nowhere near as horrible as people are making it out to be. I suppose if you were drinking this expecting a barrel aged barleywine or old ale that wasn't inoculated with wild bacteria than yeah, I could see the disappointment or disgust in this. I think this brew carries with it a lot of Oud Bruin qualities. For what it was, I had no problem finishing my glass. I hope the wild responses over this brew don't get the folks at Weyerbacher down. Please keep experimenting with wild brews!

3.49/5  rDev +34.2%

Thanks Stakem. And yes I mean it.
After the thread I decided to open this bottle, my wife hated it so I ended up drinking the whole thing to myself.
The appearance was okay, not much to look at but it also didn't look as vile as I expected. It poured a very murky brownish color with a slight syrupness. A few bubbles form from the rough pour that don't result in any head. The nose reminds me of Ron Burgandy's office. Rich mahogany and leather bound books, seriously, as well as some tart cherry notes and funk. The nose was the highlight for me and I found it quite enjoyable. The taste was okay/good. Some vegetable juice type flavors with some tartness, cherries, leather and serious barnyard funk. The mouthfeel was somewhat strange almost like the bottle needed to be shaken well before pouring, like there was divided liquids. All in all I thought it was a good beer and would gladly drink it again if I had the chance.
I guess that's what I love about personal tastes and perception. I was pleasantly surprised.
If you don't want to put yourself through the horror of some of the other reviews, send your idiots drool to this idiot who will gladly consume and enjoy.

750ml
If you can take a sip of this beer with a smile on your face, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and go into deep thought about the contents in this bottle, I admire you. If you can take a sip of this beer and actually ponder anything in general about this absolute slop in the bottle, I admire you. This is, hands down the worst ?beer? I’ve ever had.

Pours SLIMEY thick, bad thick, with funk, gelatinous funk, gross funk, made me think to myself, damn this is some gross ass funk. Flat, gross, slimey, made me make the "eeek" face while looking @ it pour and while sitting in the glass. I think this would make Andrew Zimmern cringe if he drank.

Smell is straight up side salad with balsamic vinegar that has been sitting in the diner refrigerator case for 4 1/2 years only to be served up to you in a bottled, liquid formation. Sour, oxidized, soy sauce, non-appetizing, spoiled, and quoting an earlier explanation from someone; "dumpster water". I like that one, suits it well.

Taste, forget about it. One sip is all it took for that 750 & pour to go straight down the pipes. No need to continue, read smell if assistance is needed here.

Overall I was a fool caught up in the early winter hype of this release and never looked back into reviews before trading for this. Shame on me as I am the "idiot" here. Glad I didn't make the release and end up with a case of this crap though. Totally disappointed with Weyerbacher (as I often praise their beers) on this as I feel it should've never made it to the bottle being such a rancid beverage. @ least change the description from Old Ale to something more fitting possibly? I felt kind of mislead, the whole 4 1/2 year Barrel Aged Old Ale & or Barleywine kind of got my juices flowing. This was far off from what I expected and did not take into account that a Barrel Aged Old Ale should taste anything like this.

Cheers

1.41/5  rDev -45.8%

Bottle shared by Richard. Thanks?

The pour is a murky mahogany color with sort of a small off-white head. Wow, what an aroma. Cheese, vinegar, and soy sauce are among the strongest aromas. A bit of liquor and booze, maybe some oak, definitely some oxidation and leather. The flavor is just bad. Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, bad chocolate, and vinegar. Definitely salty with some almost cauliflower taste. God, what is this? Medium bodied with low carbonation.

1.05/5  rDev -59.6%

Shared by joey5cents-- he got this courtesy of agentzero.

Wow.
This smells and looks like a cup of spit that belongs to a ball-player with a big mouthfull of chewing tobacco.

Sweaty gym socks.
Puréed black cherries and chewing tobacco spit.
Boozy leather, like the saddle the morning after the horse was on a bender.
Musty. And NOT in a good way.
Pure liquid misery.
Liquified vegetables blended into a bloody Mary.

There is no carbonation-- and this beer suffers from it. Oily and slick, almost slimy. This is like something Neville Longbottom made in Potions Class.

Overall-- seriously? I don't think the brewers were sampling this beer at all as time progressed. I think they forgot about it, and the barrel was sitting next to the furnace or on top of a radiator for 4 years. There is NO WAY this is intentional-- and if it is, Weyerbacher is composed of a bunch of gluttons for punishment.

1.21/5  rDev -53.5%

Idiot's drool pours a dead still brown color with a bit of sediment that reminds me of pond water.

I tried to get a whiff of the stuff and recoiled immediately. Lots of oxidation and some unpleasant sourness.

Disgusting. Bile, vomit, not good. When beers are blended, brewers will often leave select barrels out due to inferior quality or some sort of contamination. I believe Idiot's Drool tastes like a mix of beer aged for years in a bunch of those crap barrels might taste. Cardboard+unpleasant sourness+some alcohol heat=Idiot's drool. It's bad.

Mouthfeel is dead flat, and anything else besides that is hard to notice because you cannot keep this in your mouth for very long.

I went back and forth on whether I wanted to review this beer, because I only had about a 4 oz sample. In the end, I decided to review this for a few reasons:

1) I could never have drank anywhere near a bottle of this stuff. 4oz was actually too much.
2) People should know what they're getting in to when trading for this beer.
3) Idiot's Drool was so epic in how horrible it is that I thought it deserved a review. You may ask why I gave it a 1.5 overall if it was so terrible. The answer is that this was so bad, I almost wanted to like it. Think of it as being very close to the “Snakes on a Plane” of beer. I love Snakes on a Plane, but the key difference is that snakes on a plane didn't happen in my mouth.

2.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Shared by a kind young lady at The Trappe Door while hanging out at the bar. Served from bottle into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a murky brown with a very minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wood, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. The flavor was of sweet malt, wood, subtle oxidation, dark fruit, and subtle vinegar. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall I wasn't really impressed with this one. There was just something that was very off-putting about this one that did not agree with my palate. I was excited to see this one come out to be shared, but once I smelled and tasted it I was regretting that I volunteered to try this one. But hey, tickers gonna tick. Worth trying if it is given to you, but I wouldn't personally buy it myself.

2.56/5  rDev -1.5%

Tasted blind courtesy of Retail1LO, thanks again!

Corked and caged 750 bottle, opens with no pop. Pours a murky brown color with no head, is this flat? Hope not.

Aromas are very nutty, boozy, with sweet stewed fruits, and brown sugar notes.

Taste is really sweet, with some raisin notes. Some general booziness, sharp vinegar, light vanilla, and nuttiness. Beer is flavorful, but the finish is flat, with a bit of alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied, but really lacks carbonation, and is almost flat.

Overall, unfortunately this beer is flawed, it's too sweet, infected, and is very low carbonated. Too bad too, because it actually tastes and smells like this could have been good but something went wrong here.

One last note, I think my review is being kind. Because the more I drink this, the more I dislike it. This is definitely a miss, and I might not drink the whole bottle. (edit : more than half the bottle was consumed by the drain, hope it liked this more than I did)

Bottle I got in a trade with murchmac.

A-Pours hazy, murky brown with no head to speak of, just a thin, off white ring of tiny bubbles.

S-Plenty of brettanomyces influence here. Sherry, balsamic vinegar, bready funk, fruit cake, bourbon. Smells like a super oxidized barley wine, which is what it is, I guess.

T/M-Sharp, vinous acidity cuts through the otherwise soft, inviting bourbony caramel and oak sweetness. Bread pudding and burnt brown sugar clashes with vinegary tartness.

O-Ultimately, I like it. And I respect the hell out of Weyerbacher for committing to this project. Not their best, but a very interesting beer worth trying. Split it with a few people, a whole bottle might be too much for one sitting.

4.69/5  rDev +80.4%

Shared with DaveHS, thanks buddy.

A: Pours a beautiful brown with burgundy and cherry undertones. Very little to no carbonation but it doesn't seem to affect the overall experience.

S: Smells incredible with notes of stewed fruits, brandy, bread pudding and sour cherries. Some of the best aromas I've ever inhaled.

T: Amazing balance of sweet and sour flavors. A hint of sour cherries and acidity on the front. Rich flavors of toffee, carrot cake, vanilla and pomegranate on the mid-palate. Finishes bright and tart with all the flavors melting together beautifully.

M: Low carbonation takes away from the mouthfeel a little but the texture of the oak barrels adds a nice depth, making it quite enjoyable.

O: Overall this was an incredible beer that I really never thought I'd get to try. Highly recommended if you can ever get your hands on one.

2.61/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Edit: After revisiting this a couple times, it has gotten worse and is now virtually undrinkable...

Pours a dark hazy muddy brown color with zero head. Attempts to swirl and induce any head is futile; very minimal spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with dark dark fruits, leather, oak and light light bourbon. As it warms more you get apple skin and vinous grape notes. Some sherry/light oxidation notes are also present. Really complex...

The tastes begin quite tart surprisingly. Dark dark fruits, booze soaked dark toasted bread, sour cherry and vinous dry soaked oak. As I further sample I get more complex flavors of leather, Brett barnyard funk/mustiness and some pitted stone fruits. Once again really complex and different than anything I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with zero carbonation, which I usually hate but I don't mind it here. Finish is super dry and oaky which is expected for 4 years of barrel aging.

Overall I am really pleased with this beer. As others have stated, you will either love it or hate it. I'm on the side that is a big fan. Hopefully over the next year or so the bottle conditioning will up the carbonation a tad to add to the only downside this beer currently has. I imagine this is how many beers used to be back in ancient brewing times with lots of oak character and slight Brett flavors. Complex and recommended in my opinion; maybe not worth the original elevated price tag but still tasty and worth a go if you don't have to give up a king's ransom for it.

3.62/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to msulinski for picking me up a bottle of this beer, one I had to have immediately after reading about its release. If you ever have a chance to trade with Marc, jump. This box was one of many that have left me knocked on my ass.

Big 750 ML bottle with minimalist artwork, the cork come free with a gentle sigh. Pour is instantly recognizable as liquid rust, with an equal amount of head & carbonation to that noble metal. Smell is deep & dank, like nothing, edible or otherwise, I've ever experienced. Lanky oak, oiled leather, sharp tannins, almost acidic at points.

Idiot's Drool is sharper than a +2 Dagger of Unknown Oddness. Whatever bugs were introduced are in control, leaving a tartness overlaying the rest of the brew. Underneath is a sheet of flexible brown leather, & a strong shot of wine that almost crosses into vinegar when coupled with the tartness. Bourbon is visible only as a warmth in the back of the throat. Acidic. Oak is wickedly drying, puckering. Other stuff links up that's not so identifiable. This cretin has more layers than the rainforest. It is flat, but hey. Plowering through half the bomber is going to take at least 1/3 of a Lord of the Rings disk.

Not sure how to rate this. Tasty? Yes. Bizarre? Yes. Drinkable? Uhhh. Bravo for the effort & the gorgeous complexity. Ultimately, a good beer that breathes on the mirror of great. Almost.

1.96/5  rDev -24.6%

Not sure if it was Dan or Frank who contributed this gem, but thanks! Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - Quick-dissolving tan foam settles to nothing. Murky dark brown body. Not horrendous for the style, but a tad disappointing.

S - Smells like standing water/outdoor pool, mixed with light burnt and brown sugars, BBQ sauce, and mild acetobacter. Some oak and oxidation as well.

T - Wood, oxidation, and light vinegar. Actually quite bland - so bland I wrote it twice it seems. The alcohol is well-hidden, but this is largely devoid of flavor, and what is there isn't very appealing.

M - Medium-full body, low carbonation, and somewhat watery. Some tannic oak in the finish, and thankfully minimal alcohol. Not offensive I suppose.

D - I can only speculate what caused this disaster of a beer. I'm guessing they had an infected batch Blithering Idiot and keep aging it in barrels, hoping that it would eventually turn into something halfway decent. It seems like they just decided to cut their losses on this one by passing on the expense to the customer. If someone had told me this was water barrel-aged in third use Angel's Share barrels I probably would have believed it. I don't have a problem with bretted old ales, but this was just terrible.

1.63/5  rDev -37.3%

Not sure who to "thank" for this...poured into Darkness tulip.

A - Looks like a mud water, hazy/mirky, faint head.

S - Tons of oak and booze...my nostrils hurt. 3-week old fruit, brett, booze, and 180 day old hot tub water. Holy crap, please no more!

T - Booze, super sharp sourness that's almost impossible to get down, pool water, brett. What the heck is going on here? I don't think this beer even knows what it's doing.

M - Too thin, uber-light carbonation, horrible finish.

O - Uh, no more please. I would use this beer as a torture technique for my enemies. Otherwise, down the drain it would go.

1.89/5  rDev -27.3%

A - Brown colored beer, pretty dark. There was a slight, brown head on there that didn't stay for long and left nothing on the sides.

S - Kind of an odd smell on the nose. Brown sugar, some barrel, apples. The worst is just this kind of wet-dog smell at the end. Not sure what is making that happen but it's not a good thing.

T - Think of pond water and wet dog. That's the back end of this. The beginning of the taste was somewhat better, with some brown sugar, apples, some brett. There is a lot or barrel characteristic, I guess, but the horrible flavors really obliterate any redeeming characteristics this beer had. I don't know how it got all these high reviews, this is atrocious.

M - Kind of flat, not really adding to the rotten taste. Full bodied.

O - Not a good beer, mostly hated it, and only drank enough to review before pouring the rest down the drain. Massively disappointing. I'm assuming they left this in the barrel for 4.5 years because it was just awful and they were hoping it would get better. Nope.

4.1/5  rDev +57.7%

One of the bottles I picked up from the release party. Poured into a snifter and split two ways.

The pour yields a pond-water flat liquid that is viscous, thick, garnet-brown in color. A swirl produces a slick oily film on the walls of the glass. There doesn't seem to be much residual sugar left in this, as there are no legs.

The aroma is deep and complex. It has sherry-like qualities; no surprise that it is slightly oxidized given the 4 years that it spent in oak barrels that are not impervious to oxygen. Luckily, this isn't the cardboard oxidation, so it actually goes well, as I will describe. The nose is mainly raisins and dates up front, which then give way to tart cherries, toffee, caramel, and light bourbon/vanilla notes.

The flavor is similarly well-balanced, and it adds a touch of bretty funk to the overall profile. Like Ray Daniels suggests, this Old Ale has some bretty notes that harken back to the old ales originally brewed in England over 100 years ago. A fitting accompaniment to Weyerbacher's English-style barleywine base. The components of the aroma that I had mentioned are all evident here, and they are also joined by some leathery notes (a la HotD Adam, though not as intense) that really deepen the complexity of this aged brew. At 12% ABV, you would never know until it starts to hit you. Not hot, not warm, not nothing. This is extremely mellow and smooth.

Thick and viscous, but not nearly carbonated enough, even for a barleywine. Even with the brett, this still has plenty of body to it. Since they got 1 of 2 criteria, I figure this is pretty average. There is a little bit of dissolved CO2 that gives it a little less of a one-note texture, but not enough at all.

Overall, this is a very interesting and compelling beer. Not what I was expecting, that's for sure, but looking at things historically as well as flavor-wise, this beer is certainly a winner. I love the mellow notes of barrels that meld so well with the base beer. The bretty wildness is a welcome addition, as it is done tastefully enough to just augment the overall experience.

3.5/5  rDev +34.6%

Pours a murky brown liquid that looks viscous. Sort of cloudy with minimal to no head. Smell is rich malt with lots of bourbon oak and a mild twang. Sweet with a hint of tart. Taste is immensely complex beginning with rich malt bourbon oak vanilla then a twang of tartness with a tannic biting finish. Overall sweet but the tartness is a wonderful component . Almost liquid bourbon barrel at some points. The mouth feel is rich and full body with minimal carbonation allowing the liquid to coat your tongue. It was a pleasure to enjoy a bottle on a cold winter's eve. If you don’t like it and have more bottles hit me up!

3.36/5  rDev +29.2%

Tasted at the release and from one of my bottles. Well I can say I never tasted a beer like this. Zero head, many smells hit the nose. It is a lot to take in all at once. At this point I was not quite sure what was going on. The many flavors will hit you hard and keep coming. Overall after tasting I would say give this a try if you can get some. It is a one of a kind beer tasting experience. Still not sure if like it, but I did enjoy trying to figure this one out. When I drink some more I will update, if I can..

2.47/5  rDev -5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got to sample this at Capones Black Friday event courtesy of Centennial, thanks a ton Steve, I'm so glad I got to try it.

Poured from a 750 bottle that had warmed up into a tasting glass.

A: A deep murky dark brown color with no head and no glass lacing.

S: Heavy fruit smells with some sourness. I'm getting some cider notes with some barnyard must and lots of alcohol.

T: Ok, this is different. I got mostly apple cider type flavors with some sour cherry. Then the musty flavors of leather, wood, wet hay, slight barnyard funk and sourness that leads to an almost soy sauce type flavor. Finish is tart and alcoholic.

M: Full, sour, coating, alcoholic and very little carbonation. Very thick viscous liquid.

O: I can't believe this is how Weyerbacher wanted to this beer to turn out, it just is not appealing in any way. As a couple of us noted it almost tasted infected.

I'm sorry to those who rated this beer highly and bought a bunch of them, but to pay $ 23 a bottle and get this product is unacceptable. This is a bad beer, no way around it. Great ideas often go awry and this one has done just that.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Idiot's Drool from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.