Victor - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Victor
No picture uploaded.
good

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: claspada on 04-27-2012)
Reviews by OWSLEY069:
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a clean orange-ish to amber in color with a light tan head. In the aroma, a sweet malt and a small fruitiness. In the taste, pine like hops and a small, sweet fruitiness. A hop bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry pine hop in the aftertaste. A nice hop presence, with a a pleasant small fruitiness.

OWSLEY069, Jul 03, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Varkias41, Jul 18, 2013

Hessian257, Apr 29, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +22.6%

From a newly tapped cask at Pizzeria Paradiso DC.

Poured a deep amber red, cloudy, with a god tan head but no lacing

The smell is yeasty, fresh

Taste is bready, almost woody, with a complex mix of hops adding floral and citrus; some bitter aftertaste

Mouthfeel is very good,

Overall very drinkable example of a well- hopped amber, oneof my favorite styles.

jfmorey, May 09, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -35.5%

Mudawg, Apr 28, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

st9647v3, Apr 30, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

From the brewer: Victor has a malty, roasty base and is hopped with Warrior, Northern Brewer, and Centennial, then dry hopped with more centenial.

Pours a relatively clear ruby red color with a surprisingly substantial (for a cask beer) fluffy tan head that leaves a boat ton of sticky, hop-induced lacing along the glass; the kind only a fresh IPA could do.

Aromas begin with citrus and grapefruit hops in your face; quite dominant indeed. As it warms I can pick up some of the caramel and sweet bready, mildly toasty malts, but the hops are definitely the start here.

The tastes begin with the light bready and caramel malts again (almost toffee but not quite) but then the hops show up again to steal the show. Grapefruit and citrus flavors assault the palate, not bitter hops here, but plenty of west coast Centennial hop flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation; once again more than I expected for a cask ale. Finish is lightly bitter but not overly so.

Overall this is my favorite "hoppy" beer that Weyerbacher has ever produced. I have had pretty much everything they have ever made and to be honest they usually drop the ball when it comes to the hop dept (with the exception of Double Simcoe C&C version) but they really stepped up their game with this one. Glad to see I can get a great West Coast Amber Ale locally.

claspada, Apr 27, 2012

JohnK17, Dec 11, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Nice dark amber color. No lacing, not a lot of head and no retention.

S - Some citrus, a lot of malt. Can't put my finger on the exact malts, but reminds me of a maltier Nugget Nectar.

T - Similar to the nose. Good amount of hops, but definitely dominated by malts. I wish it was a bit hoppier.

M - Pretty smooth. I taste some alcohol, or an off flavor similar to alcohol.

O - I really liked this on draft at Weyerbacher, but it's not quite as good out of the bottle. Could have something to do with the Heady Toppers immediately prior to this, but I'm not sure. I had a long break and food in between. I'd recommend trying it before it's gone, however.

nrs207, Jun 02, 2012

JSkone09, Jan 20, 2013

yourefragile, Apr 28, 2014

nukem5, May 19, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

This poured out as a reddish brown color with a light tan head on top. The smell of the beer was a little on the yeasty side to me, I though it almost smelled like a Belgian ale to me. There was some bread on the nose along with some light fruity notes and some hops as well. The taste of the beer was a little scattered to me, I was picking up slight notes of chocolate in there and some minimal fruit notes as well as some bitter hops. The mouthfeel was drinkable, moderately carbonated. Overall I felt this beer didn't really have much of a pronounced character to it. I wasn't sure what to label is as I was drinking it. I will try it again if I come across it sometime.

Knapp85, Jun 02, 2012

Ryanc23, May 10, 2012

PthPndr, Sep 29, 2012

tmars13, Sep 08, 2012

sneaks2210, Nov 21, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

A-deep red/mahogany with a small white fluffy head.

S-nice roasted malts with a slight toasty grain with a earthy hoppiness lingering.

T-similiear to smell with an added complexity of chocolate or coffee I am picking up. Very well balanced.

M-very easy drinking. perfect bitterness/sweetness ratio. Well done for the category.

danedelman, Jun 05, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

This beer is an excellent portrayal of a red ale. Although the genre is so broad, since Troegs Nugget Nectar grouped in here as well, and is quite distinct to this beer. Anyways, you can drink this as a session beer, or as a stand alone ipa style if you like. West coast hops in the nose, grassy, piney, but not punchy. Flavor follows well. Victor is middle of the road in a very good way. It doesn't particularly stand out, but it is super drinkable at the same time. I also had this at the brewery on tap in a sample cup, but in a horrible tasting order. The brewery was releasing other beers that same day and I had tried a full on west coast ipa, oak aged quad, and a belgian yeasted imperial stout before this beer. So in that sense, it was very much in the background. But when I had it by itself the next day it was very good. I understand that Weyerbacher can't mass produce all the beers in their one-off series. But that's part of the magic of visiting the brewery. Well done gentlemen!

RyanGoodman, Jun 04, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Single purchased at the brewery.

Brownish-red with indirect light, a bold red when back lit. Excellent clarity. Four fingers of rocky bone china colored foam. Some drips of lace.

Earthy, bready aroma.

Malty beginning, but not caramel sweet. Earthy, bready. Sort of English qualities.

Nicely chewy mouthfeel.

A nice big amber, though I prefer mine with a more aggressive hop attack.

RonfromJersey, Jun 20, 2012
Victor from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.