1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bourbon Barrel Sixteen - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

Bourbon Barrel Sixteen
No picture uploaded.

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Braggot |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: claspada on 04-27-2012)
View: Beers (47) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 8 | Reviews: 2 | Show All Ratings:
RyanGoodman

Bolivia

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Wow, what a beer! Had alongside the original.

Same appearance as the un-oaked, perhaps slightly darker as it was in a different glass, hard to tell.

Smell was oak and alcohol up front, but I dig that. Major raisin and dark fruits also.

Taste of overripe grapes, yes, AND raisins. Boozy, oakey. I want to say bourbon, but are we sure it was a bourbon barrel that they aged it in? I'll have to ask next time I'm at the brewery.

Mouthfeel is medium to full, very satisfying.

This beer makes me long for the day when Weyerbacher is known nationwide, even worldwide. I'm sure someday they will be known that way. Until then I will enjoy them as a phenomenal local brewery. Excellent work!

Serving type: growler

06-06-2012 00:22:25 | More by RyanGoodman
claspada

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a hazy, syrupy deep mahogany amber/brown hue with a very small light beige tan head, which leaves a nice fine boozy lacing.

Aromas begin with barrel induced bourbon and oakiness which is quite predominant. After I get passed that I get some dark caramelized maltiness with hints of date and figgy fruit with a some sweet honey notes.

The tastes begin with warming bourbon barrel flavors again. As it warms you get some dark fruits, but predominately sweet orange blossom honey. Not too sweet or cloying which is surprising for the style.

The mouthfeel is medium-heavy bodied, with low levels of carboantion (but that is typical of the style). I was also expecting a great deal of residual sugars, but this is surprising clean and dry. A light bitterness that I have experieced before with these honey (or maple) addition beers. Still a little hot with some alcohol bite.

Overall, this is definitely the most bourbon barrel forward beer I have had from Weyerbacher, made that is due to the freshness. I was expecting this to be too sweet because bourbon is sweet and braggots are bascially meads but there was a nice dryness, which made this quite balanced. The hefty alcohol is definitely there and warms the gullet as you enjoy. A sipper for sure. Not something I could or would want to drink much of however, it's just too big with not enough complexity of flavor. Equal to the non barreled version, not sure if the barrel added much to this to be honest.

04-27-2012 14:09:46 | More by claspada
Bourbon Barrel Sixteen from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.