X-Ray - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

X-RayX-Ray

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 10-20-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

4.23/5  rDev +8.7%

A bottle into a Weyerbacher tulip

X-Ray sports a very black shaded color with some dark brown spots towards the bottom of the glass when up to light. A nice creamy tan/brown head that looks like it's off of a nitro line, Great lacing.

Smell is pretty spectacular rich with dark bakers chocolate a nice whiff of roasted malt with a vanilla hit. I usually get a whole lot of tootsie roll from porters but this one is different.

And were off, 1st sips are nothing short of amazingly rich with the above already mentioned. Light chocolate mixed with roast and a small hint of vanilla and coffee. A nice amount of crystal malt used, that much is apparent.

The feel is so rich and creamy and smooth and refreshing, even though I don't find dark beers refreshing at all. This is approaching medium in build active bubbles and smooth baby.

great porter, one I would not mind having a six of during a Sunday. A little more in strength than the standard American porter, but the added flavor is notch. This is a nice offering and hopefully comes back around again in the future.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

Ok, first review ever.

Serving, 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep, deep brown - almost pitch black but shows its color under light. Maybe it was the travel (had this brought to me in Virginia by a buddy who was going home to Easton for the weekend) but there was virtually no head. First bottle was actually flat. 2nd bottle had a thin tan head that quickly dissipated. No lacing on the sides as I progressed through the glass.

Smell: Chocolate, Coffee at first but as it warms up there is a hint of something sweet like fruit. If there is a smell of hops, I have a hard time detecting it (probably due to my natural affinity for over hoppy beer - just cant really taste something that subtle).

Taste: Once again, Chocolate and Coffee right off the bat. As it warmed, I started getting that fruit taste that I was smelling - Dried Cherries I think or a really dark plum.

Mouth feel: I thought it was a nice round mouthfeel with some prickly carbonation around the tounge that made it seem creamy at first but quickly dies and leaves it a bit thinner (which I actually rather enjoyed.)

Overall: I liked this beer immediately but, it grew on me even more as I got to enjoy the changing characteristics when it warmed a bit. It really won me over as a solid, solid example of the style. In fact, I think this one rates as one of my new favorites...damn shame it wont be sticking around.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
X-Ray from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.