Eighteen - Weyerbacher Brewing Co.

EighteenEighteen

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Weizenbock |  11.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Knapp85 on 06-16-2013)
1.25/5  rDev -67.1%

ShanePB, Aug 13, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -53.9%

McCollian92, Apr 09, 2014

kapkenobi, Aug 12, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -44.7%

Let me start by saying that Weyerbacher is one of the 3-4 breweries that really got me into craft beer. Because they were local and their cases not terribly expensive, I could justify paying the extra few bucks because I thought they made a good product. That was about 6 years ago.

I really, really wanted to like this beer. I want to like a lot of the things they make. They're local, I know a few guys from the brewery, and they're good people. It's just that other than this year's batch of Riserva...nothing they've made recently has been good, including this.

A - Pours a murky, cloudy brown color that explodes with carbonation when I poured it into the glass. I poured into a 13oz tulip, and with 4oz or so left in the bottle the head was already overflowing the glass.

S - Banana, clove, and yeasty booze. I don't really get weizenbock at all, it's just off flavors from overly hot fermentation and booze.

T - Again, more booze, along with unbalanced clove and banana. The yeast has totally taken over this beer's flavor profile, and not in a good way.

M - Sugary/underrattenuated, sticky, and not very good. Also, massively carbonated, and not very drinkable.

O - Drainpour. I got through about 3 sips, and decided I'd rather drink a glass of water. I really, really wish Weyerbacher could still put out beers like Thirteen, and even Fifteen, but between last year's imperial saison and this weizenbock, it seems they're more focused on making big anniversary beers than good anniversary beers. Really a shame.

For a good local PA Weizenbock, I'd recommend Moonglow instead. Not the booze bomb that this is, and much more drinkable overall.

Greenplastic615, Jun 28, 2013

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

PaBeerLover, Jul 07, 2013
2.91/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Had high hopes for this beer. Big fan of other Weyerbacher's i've tried, and a huge fan of Weizenbocks, Dunkels etc. Reviewed this from memory.

Pours a dark mahogany color with NO foam head, tiny ring of bubbles that dissipates quickly. Almost no evidence of carbonation.

Smell is of molasses, brown sugar, carmel, and more sugar.

Taste is extremely sweet, with strong notes of cherry and molasses. Noticeable alcohol presence, but really its dominated by the sugary molasses flavors. Slightly bready maybe?

Mouthfeel is what really made this a 'NO' for me. Way way too sweet and syrupy. Feels somewhat like liquid cough medicine as a kid. No carbonation to alleviate the sweetness on the palate. Reminds me of what would be at the bottom of a Coca-cola vat - syrup with WAY too much sugar.

Overall - a big disappointment for me as a Weizenbock lover. I think they tried too hard to get the ABV up and ended up with an overly sweet beer that didn't stack up in other areas, Like carbonation. Got through about 3/4 of this and decided it wasnt worth the damage to my teeth.

Born_Beerknurd, Dec 06, 2013

ali1987, Aug 03, 2013

Weizenbocks have been hit & miss for me, so picked up only a single for this pending further investigation. I have the file. Time to hit the streets.

The pour is a very dark red that a more refined palate might call mahogany, but I've always been more of a primary colors & adjective guy, so it's dark red. Nose is like a weizen bush berry, wheat, clove. & very distinct sugary dehydrated bananas. Which I hate. Luckily this beer isn't chewy & covered in Crystal Sugar.

Weyerbacher Weizenbock is probably part of the U.S.government sugar cane support program. Large quantities of sugar pit the teeth & abrade the gums in a sweetness washout. Beneath the unfiltered rush of saccharin is a smattering of typical weizenbock special effects. Clove, banana, caramel. All washed away in a typhoon of sweetness. Hard to drink 12 oz. of this diabetes-inducing liquid.

Too sweet, way too sweet, & also sweeter than it needs to be. I can drink this, but am really glad I didn't cough up for a sixer. After the magnificence of Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, & Sixteen, this is a letdown. Just an average beer.

maximum12, Nov 23, 2013

swtdixie91, Nov 10, 2013

RyanGoodman, Sep 07, 2013

DarthGuitarHero, Nov 18, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

I believe this is my first beer ever from Weyerbacher. Reviewed as a weizenbock because the label identifies it as such. 11.1% ABV confirmed per the label. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with classy understated label art and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at Zipp's Liquor in Minneapolis, MN, and served into a stem-tulip. Expectations are high; I've heard great things about Weyerbacher.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours no real head, yielding only a weak floater ring of khaki colour. Retention is poor - maybe 20 seconds. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

Body colour is a very dark caramel-brown; nontransparent and non-translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No vibrance here.

Overall, it's a bit underwhelming for a weizenbock. There's just nothing remarkable about it and it doesn't scream German. Not unique or special. No egregious flaws here

Sm: HEAVY on the malts. Wow. Caramel, toffee, brown malts, cream, and syrups - maybe birch. Wisps of dark fruit - plum, fig, prune, cherry. Bready. Some light banana - probably from the yeast. There's some alcohol presence here, but I wouldn't say it's boozy or hot. The dark fruit is a definite highlight.

I'm not finding any wheat, strangely. No hop character is detectable. A pleasant inviting big aroma of above average strength.

T: The dark fruit is dominant: plums, faint fig, prunes, maybe some dates. Not finding much wheat in the body - mainly malts including German brown and dark malts. Caramel. Light toffee. Caramelized nuts. Light doughiness and buried banana from the yeast. There's some alcohol presence, but it works for this build. A very cohesive beer, but it isn't gestalt. Fairly balanced, but not ideally so.

No yeast character or hop character comes through.

Average intensity, duration, and depth of flavour for the style. Could use more complexity and subtlety.

The dark fruit is a highlight. I'd really like to get some wheat from the flavour profile, but strangely I can't find any.

Mf: Syrupy. Thick. Smooth and wet. Full-bodied. Has a big heavy presence on the palate. Enjoyable but unrefreshing. Suits the flavour profile generally well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it. A biteen overcarbonated. Certainly filling; almost a meal in a glass.

Not oily, astringent, boozy, gushed, hot, or rough.

Dr: It's a sipper, alright. A big German style beer which doesn't always feel traditional for the style. It's a tasty beer and is very filling, but I wouldn't want to take on more than a single bottle. I'm glad they sell this in the 12 fl oz format. As an introduction to Weyerbacher, it's interesting enough to make me curious about their other beers but doesn't quite live up to the reputation of these brewers. I wouldn't buy it again or recommend it to friends, but I'm glad I got to try it. Not a world class weizenbock by any means.

C+

twenty5, Sep 02, 2013

gwiedman1, Sep 29, 2013

Hopstout, Nov 02, 2013

Lare453, Apr 13, 2014
Eighteen from Weyerbacher Brewing Co.