2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mutha's Milk - Mickey Finn's Brewery

Mutha's Milk
No picture uploaded.

Mickey Finn's Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Vdubb86 on 03-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 7 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Beric:
Beric

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving: Pint, in a pint glass
Served: 1 June 13

Appearance: Thick and dark. Looks like a nice dark-roasted coffee with a solid one finger semi-brown head that just sits there and doesn't seem to shrink at all, even over the course of drinking it. Magnificent looking head- almost looks like some nitro beers, but I don't think this one is on nitro.

Smell: Dark and roasty, but sweet. You can tell the lactose is in there sweetening things up, because it seems to showcase more appropriately the roasty aspects of the malt rather than some of their seemingly bitter/bready qualities.

Taste: Divine. The sweetness from the lactose really balances perfectly with the chocolately roastiness of the malt. The sweetness does not overpower this beer or make it taste like chocolate milk or something ridiculous. Since there is no added coffee or chocolate, you can really only taste these sorts of flavor from the dark roasted malt, which makes it all the better. Easily the best beer on tap at Mickey Finn's right now.

Mouthfeel: Wonderful carbonation. Really small bubbles, reminiscent of a nitro-tap. This one isn't on nitro though. It feels thick and full-bodied on your tongue. The small bubbles keep it just spritzy enough to go down easy.

Overall: Without a doubt the best beer at Mickey Finn's right now. A truly magnificent beer that anyone visiting the pub should try.

06-02-2013 14:58:29 | More by Beric

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

04-01-2012 02:02:51 | More by ChiBeerGuy
TMoney2591

4.18/5  rDev +5%

Served in a Mickey Finn's shaker pint glass at the brewpub.

VDubb's been raving about this beer, so i just had to give it a try to see what the fuss was about. It pours a straight onyx topped by a finger of dirty ecru micro-froth. Lovely. The nose comprises a rainbow of chocolate, including chocolate malt, chocolate syrup, chocolate powder, and semi-sweet morsels. Some vanilla and heavy cream blend in with their chocolatey surroundings. The taste holds notes of light roasted malts, chocolate malt, chocolate syrup, and the distinct flavor of vanilla bean ice cream. The body is a light-feeling medium, with a pleasant nitrogenation and a subsequently ridiculously smooth feel. Overall, a very nice milk stout, one I can easily see drinking every time it's on tap here. Possibly the best thing I've ever had from Finn's.

Serving type: nitro-tap

03-18-2011 20:51:43 | More by TMoney2591
aasher

Indiana

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

I had this beer at Goose Island's Stout Fest. Out of all the insane beers there this one had the most distinct flavor. Two of my friends ran up to me and told me I had to try "this vanilla ice cream" beer. Who's going to say no? It poured a dark, dark brown with an off white creamy head. The aromas are just amazing. This smells like high quality, creamy vanilla ice cream. It is uncanny! If you think Creme Brulee smells good, then this will blow you away. The flavors too are EXACTLY like creamy vanilla ice cream. I can't think of any other way to describe it. It is delicious. I'm not even a big fan of ice cream but I had to have several pours of this. It drinks exceptionally creamy, as if it could be any other way. It's very sweet but it isn't cloyingly sweet. I don't know how they managed that. This is one of the most delicious beers I've ever had. This could appeal to people who aren't necessarily into beer. It's definitely worthy of a dessert beer label.

Serving type: growler

03-14-2011 05:03:14 | More by aasher
Vdubb86

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Served in a pint glass at Mickey Finn's

This beer pours a nice blackness with a sweet off white cream on the top of the beer. The first thing I did was make sure that it was a nitro pour and so I swiped my finger through the foam to make a peak. That worked so I knew it was real, what happened next was important. I tasted the foam on my finger and it was orgazmicly good. The aroma of this beer has that milk sweetness, but followed with that almost bailey's-like irish cream flavor. I wish I could live in a place that smelled that good all day. The first sips were magical, it was really that good on the palate. The foam produced on this beer is the single greatest thing that I've ever consumed at Mickey Finn's. The rest of the body was thinned due to the nitro and you could only taste a touch of the roast and caramel from the body. The only problem this beer had was when over half of the beer was consumed, and the foam had disappeared, the flavor died significantly. The good thing was this went down so smooth. I wish this were a year round thing. I would come back more often if everything were as good as this one beer was.

Serving type: nitro-tap

03-06-2011 05:19:58 | More by Vdubb86
Mutha's Milk from Mickey Finn's Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.