Perkuno's Hammer Imperial Porter - Heavyweight Brewing Co.

Perkuno's Hammer Imperial PorterPerkuno's Hammer Imperial Porter

Heavyweight Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Baltic Porter |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-24-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Perkuno's Hammer Imperial Porter Alström Bros

Beertracker, Jan 27, 2012

HopStoopid120, Nov 15, 2011

My favorite porter. Really good. Very roasty and malty. Black in color. Chocolatety, and some caramel notes. Very Smooth in flavor. Pours with a thick white head. Tom Baker makes a great beer. Very subtle flavors. Full bodied. Good beer.

It was a new batch so it was pretty young, but it will still good. Really enjoyable.

mkobes, Jan 31, 2004

rab53, Dec 01, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

Dark black with nearly no light penetrating. Creamy tan head that adorns the top and leaves sufficient lacing as it slowly fades.

Massive aromas in this one. Dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruits, and a tinge of alcohol. An earthy yeasty smell. Sweet and malty smelling as well. Stunning for a porter.

What a lovely taste. Dangerously smooth. Initially a bitter/acidic coffee bite that fades into a creamy dream of chocolate and espresso. A little acidic twang towards the end that stings the sides of your tongue. Perfect balance and to think this is a lager is pretty awesome in my book. Everything in this beer is like clockwork and everything compliments everything perfectly.

Creamy is the only thing that comes to mind. Not heavy and thick like an Imperial Stout, but not coffee and water like most porters. Coats your mouth like milk and leaves you wanting more. In fact i'm gonna go get a few soft-batch cookies to finish this thing off.

Amazing drinkability on this beast. I am loving every second of it, too.

trep, Jun 03, 2006
4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

One of the best brews I have ever had.

Big munich malt foundation is apparent with the nutty sweetness and wonderful body and feel. I wonder what the beans do? Whatever they do, it works. Big chocolate flavors with enough German hop character to round things off. While I would call it a double bock before I would call it an imperial porter, I really do not care about labels. Just call it 12 oz. of godliness.

If this brew came from another country, had its name in some foreign language, and had a brewing history of 200 years or more, I have no doubt that it would then be rated in the top 10 beers in the world.

waughbrew, Oct 04, 2003
4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

A - Solid black with extremely thin brown head (almost no head at all) that disappeared immediately. No lacing.

S - Chocolate and dark fruits, sweet raisins, slight hint of champagne (maybe grapes or alcohol?)

T - Chocolate, caramel, toffee & dark fruits.

M - Starts slightly bubbly and tingly (slightly like champagne), almost effervescent but thickens to a medium body as it warms.

D - A world class porter that goes down way too fast. I am disappointed I only brought one bottle back with me from my trip to NJ/PA.

brewcrew76, Mar 17, 2006
4.95/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer poured into the glass a dark dark brown/black color, but when held to the light at a tilt it seemed to have a reddish hue to it. After pouring it, I had to look at the bottle and double check if it said Porter or Stout. The head was a medium brown color, nice and thick, some good hang time but it did shrink to a nice skim about ¼ down the glass. The lace seemed to last to the end, and at the top it got as hard as Perkuno’s hammer itself. The aroma was dense. You could smell roasted malt, some chocolate, coffee, some slight fruit as it warmed (berries I think), mild smoke and hints of alcohol as well at the end. The taste was big. Creamy, and lightly carbonated. Flavors of coffee, molasses , unsweetened chocolate, berries, roasted malt, and hints of alcohol all dances in my mouth like a ballet, each one knew there time to shine. Slightly bitter from the hops were slightly present, but seemed to be balanced by the roasted malt. The last taste left was malty and sweet. Nice finish. I really liked this beer. Really liked! Very complex and satisfying. Need more!

Jarod, Jan 07, 2003
4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle. It came from a Heavyweight sampler 4 Pack. I was very impressed they used minimal packaging for the sampler.

Poured a pitch black void that does not allow light through. Started with an inch thick dark beige or creamed coffee color then faded to a thin 1/8 inch solid head. Leaves trails of lacing the quickly retreat back into the safety of the head and the black void.

Aromas of roasted malt, smoke, char, and toffee cascade from the glass. Very inviting and heavenly.

The taste is pure heaven. Starts bubbly on the tongue with sweet roasted malts that lead to a slight bitter taste. Flavors of char, smoke, peat, earth, grease, and bacon fat flood the palate. The body is extremely creamy and smooth with a slightly dry finish. The mouthfeel is a little light for my tastes, but the larger than usual carbonation makes for a unique mouthfeel that tingles the tounge.

A top rate and true quality brew that delivers through and through. Wonderful and a new favorite.

Loki, Jul 23, 2003
4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Beautiful darkness that you cannot see through if you tried to...
Georgeous light brown head with bubbles edged with dark chocolate brown... loveliness.... Wow! Head did not last as long as I would have liked, man, could have just sat and watched that little show for a bit... but it just left a nice little ring and dusting in the center.
Scents of a port but more heavily of a thick soy sauce. Smells like a good porter or stout. Smooth and lightly creamy tasting... yummmm... Tastes of a thick and dark coffee... port wine... bit of a vineous quality... burnt toast....
Not too heavy at all, could easily sit back for a few more hammers!
-also had the luck of having this at Heavyweight's night at the DraftingRoom in Exton, PA with Tom Baker... wow is it even more freaking lovely flowing from the tap!!!! Just when you think this can't get any better... it blasts out of their handle into a glass and gives you a permi-smile! Can you say schweet??

shapudding, Sep 04, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

This was one of several beers that I picked up on a recent visit to the East coast. Not knowing the "lay of the land," beer-wise, my selections are always a bit of a crap-shoot. I really lucked out with this one.

I don't know if it got shaken up on the plane ride or what, but this mother just about exploded from the bottle upon popping the cap. One of those 10-minute pours while you wait for the head to settle down. This did give me a nice long time to admire the head though, which was dark, dark tan and tightly packed, persistent and very clingy to the glass.

Deep malt aroma, slightly roasty with hints of chocolate and black cherries. This actually seemed to fade in strength a bit quickly for me, but while it lasts, there ain't nothing wrong with it at all. Rich and seductive.

And oh my friggin god, the flavor! The malt picks up a huge roasty character in the mouth, then slowly yields to a mid-palate reminiscent of chocolate and currants. The moderately high ABV contributes a nice bit of spiciness to the finish, without ever getting too "hot," and then gently fades off to an incredibly long-lasting slightly smokey aftertaste.

Big in the mouth, yet varied enough in terms of flavor to avoid becoming oppressive. This is an amazingly good beer and one on which it would be very difficult to improve. It's nice to see a brewery going imperial and yet maintaining the distinction between a porter and a stout. Good stuff.

mzwolinski, Sep 20, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Another bottle that made the long trip from Boston with Chaduvel. I had high expectations for this little monster. Poured a mesmerizing black with a thunderous frothy brown head. Smell was sweet, dark, chocolatey malts with subtle roastiness and burned bitterness and touch of alcohol. Taste definitely lived up to expectations! Starts intensely malty with a definite sweetness, then smoothly shifts to a huge burst of roasty bitterness--the hops are there. Reminds me of a powerful espresso/woman. Intense! Finish is warming and lingering chocolatey bitterness. The mouthfeel is thick, rich, slightly chewy, and explosive. Amazing.

alexgash, Aug 20, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Very easy to see why this beer ranks in the top fifty, because it's amazing!!! Black, pretty safe to rule it as opaque pours with a nice frothing tan head and forms a trickled lace as the beer empites down my gullet. Aroma greets me with roasted slightly burnt malt and a chocolate smoothness that brings about an underlying sweetness. The first sip sends a crescendo of sweet raisiny goodness wrapped in chocolate complemented by the great classic dark roasts of any great porter. The mouthfeel is just full creamy texture that can only be described as one of the smoothest beers ever. Drinkabilty can be said in one word: DANGEROUS!!! 8.9 abv and you can drink this stuff all day cuz it's so smooth and delicious, hides the taste of alcohol very well. I tip my hat to the brewers for crafting this fine delight.

WVbeergeek, Apr 16, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

An unbelievable brew which I had cask-conditioned at the Gingerman in NYC. Jet black, with the slighest tan head on top, I could not wait to take my first sip. I could smell alcohol wafting out the glass, but also the dark malt spices as well. Taste was just amazing, almost difficult to describe. Since there is no carbonation, there is nothing to interfere with the taste of this sweet strong imperial stout. Chocolate with some dried plum flavors are present, but I thought little of it. I just wanted to enjoy this amazing beer.

AaronRed, Dec 13, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

I sampled this one at room temperature. The beer pours pitch black into my chalice. There is no light getting through. A tan frothy head foams up easily to about 1 cm and fades fairly fast.
The aroma is mild coffee and hints of chocolate and some alcohol scents. Very appealing.
First sip reveals, average carbonation and thick body. There is also a slight syrupy testure present which adds to the body.
the flavor is roasty and coffee with hints of chocolate. The finish has a mild alcohol bite at the swallow. There is also a sweet twang of malt like sweetness like most baltic brews have. Wish I didnt have to drive to MA to grab this excellent brew!

sulldaddy, Jan 17, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

This beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Appearance: The beer is colored dead black. The head was a burnt tan coloration. The beer left major maps of lacing on my glass.

Smell: This beer has a very complex and pleasing smell. The beer has a great combonation of burnt dark espresso, chocolatey, vanilla, oakeyness, berries, anise, spicy alcohol, pine, citus and general porter goodness.

Taste: The beer delivers on the smell big time! The beer has a chared nearing burnt dark roasted espresso flavors. This is complimented by powdery dark semi sweet chocolate. The beer has a maltyness dam near malted milk balls. The beer has a sea of spicy and complimentary flavors. The beer is plenty hoppy. The beer has great piney resin and citrus hoppyness. This beer is just a fantastic beer treat.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is full bodied. The beer has a spicy alcohol that demands you "Respect my authority!" This is just a beer treat by any measure I use. I am glad I had an opportunity to sample this beer. If you see make sure you drink it. It is a dam shame Heavyweight is going away. Hopefully the brewers will move on to other brewing endevours.

nlmartin, Jun 25, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours almost a perfect 5 but the head diminished a tad too quick for me.

Smells heavy of roasted coffee beans and roasted malt. Very strong chocolate notes as well. Aroma is mouth-watering and knee-knocking.

Sweet mother of God that's tasty. Light and sweet up front with an incredible body and finishes with a dash of tartness and dryness with a lingering warmth and roasted flavor on the back of the tongue.

The more I drink the better it gets...oh...wait...oh god...oops...biergasm, sorry it couldn't be helped, it's that good.

The mouthfeel is fantastic, it makes love to your mouth.

My first Baltic Porter and holy crap do I need to find more!

Thanks for WVBeerGeek for coming through on the trade. This one alone made it worth it!

Jables, Feb 11, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

In the words of the Continental from SNL, "Wow! Wowy, wowy, wow, wow, wow!" This stuff is sensational. Pours darkest black with a small dark tan head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is heavenly with sweet roasted malts, ripened fruit, and a bit of coffee. Taste is of roasted malts, dark fruit, a little coffee, and also a bit of smokiness - almost like you'd get from pipe tobacco. Full bodied and so damned smooth. This stuff is heaven in a bottle. Nice warming effect as well. The only question, is this really a porter?

Admiraldinty, Nov 26, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Ebony with pecan highlights. This is a porter? Yowza, it looks more stout-like than most stouts. The head is light chocolate brown and huge; so huge that I had to slurp it twice to keep it from overflowing my pint glass. The foam appears to be on the soft side which doesn't bode well for lace. The head wants to hold out forever though, so the relative lack of lace doesn't bother me in the least.

The nose is great: heavily roasted black malt with plenty of chocolate, a splash of coffee and an underlying smokiness. This beer has flavor in spades. Sweet, smoky, dark chocolate milk-like goodness bursts over my tongue and makes my mouth very happy indeed. There's a more than generous amount of chocolate cake-like malt present, but I also appreciate the unmistakable flavor of hops.

The finish is long, dark roasty and tending toward bitter. The body is humungous; rich, creamy, silky and chewy in the extreme. It simply cannot be improved upon. The alcohol is well-hidden, only making itself known by the warming sensation in my belly... and that is where this bad boy belongs. In large quanties preferably.

I am a believer. Perkuno's Hammer is the only porter to ever come close to my beloved GLBC Edmund Fitzgerald. Do porters get any better than this? A big thank you to gueuzegeek for bringing me two(!) of these in a trade. Too bad it doesn't have a wider distribution. Everyone should have the opportunity to experience the excellence of 'the Hammer'.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 29, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

I find it quite odd that I've never reviewed this beer. It's one of my favorite beers in the world. I keep 3 beers in my fridge at all times - Perkuno's Hammer, Yards ESA, and Flying Fish Abbey Dubble - but it's the hammer that satisfies me the most. And I only need one. It's rich and satiating. I can enjoy it slowly. But it's got strength behind it too. Other beers sometimes leave me wanting more, or something else, but never the hammer. And now it's going away :( Of course it does age well, so maybe I can scrounge up enough cash to grab an extra case for the basement before it's gone.

Light treacle, fruit (raisins, dates, fig), coffee, cocoa, milk chocolate, toffee, seared sugar. Complex but focused. Excellent!

NeroFiddled, Jun 10, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

No doubt this is in my mind the best offering that Heavyweight has.

That being said, the appearance is great. Pitch black, with a 2 finger rocky brown head that leaves a thick curtain of lace with each sip.

The smell is of roasted malts and burnt coffee and caramel, with hints of fruit as well. Also the slightest hint of alcohol can be detected.

The taste is true to the smell. Big roasted malt flavors as well as burnt coffee that lasts all the way to the after taste. Hints of dried fruits are also present as well as burnt caramel. I also felt that a bit of hop bitterness shows through in the finish as well as some warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Also I find the carbonation to be a bit biting.

I gave it a high drinkability based on the flavor. If I could find a 4 pack of this I'd buy it in a second. Unfortunately I only seem to be able to get it in the variety packs. If you like Imperial Stouts do not miss a chance to try this Imperial Porter.

Ieatlambfries, May 29, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Well when I was at the Beer Summit this was my favorite offering of the show. I was at the Heavyweight booth for about 30 minutes, having sample after sample, so when I found this offering at the beer store I picked up a bunch.

This brew pours a an opaque black with a nice tan head that last for the duration, leaving a very sexy lace behind.

A very strong robust coffee aroma pours out of the top of the glass. An yogurt aroma also is present which I like a lot. The hop aroma is low to moderate.

The strong coffee malt is almost like drinking an iced coffee. The yogurt flavor is also present, but I think it helps the beer. As the beer warms a the stronger robust malts come to the front and the yogurt flavor leaves. The hop flavor is also growing stronger. This is a great offering.

The full bodied beer has a great drinkability.

Cheers

kunzbrew, Apr 13, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +12.6%

I'm not inclined to catalog this beer's flavors--its roasted malt; chocolately taste that adds sweetness but shows enough restraint to remain highly drinkable; its flavors of grains, and nuts, and hops; its gentle hints of tart fruit. Nor am I inclined to yammer on about its great chocolate smell. Yeah, all the flavors are brilliant and play together without fighting over who gets to use the coolest toys, but analysis isn't up to the task in dealing with this beer.

No, I just want to rave about this beer. How good is it? So, so, so, so, so good. Having great, complex taste and drinkability is tough, but this one pulls it off. It's interesting enough and complex enough to reward your drinking of pint after pint, yet restrained enough that you don't tire of the beer and don't find that certain flavors start to overwhelm others after a while.

If you're still reading, stop. Go out and grab this one.

GnomeKing, Sep 14, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Presentation: 12oz short brown bottle with a twist-off cap. No freshness date, but the beer wears a cloud filled label (no cloud and thunder-bolt on this one) that, if you are not cautious, will trap your attention and bring on waking dreams.

Appearance: An ominous opaque black beer with a crackling thick tan head and bursting bubbles that calm to a thin creamy wisp lace.

Smell: Light sherry, powdered chocolate, peppery alcohol and moist tobacco tease the nose gently as if soothing the soul in hindsight.

Taste: Sherry-like blast up-front, drying and prickly on the palate. Notes of burnt raisins, intense roasted astringency and citric-like hop bitterness stings like salted rind. Hints of dark berries and fruits twang with a complex and chaotic fruity base. Sweetness falls in places with a rich grape juice- and plum-like mask that coats for a brief moment. Fruity meets herbal, then lingers into a thickish malty dream of tobacco, ground espresso beans and delicious chocolate edges. The beer's peppery alcohol demands respect, while suggestions of bark and wood lead to a powdery grain finish that dries into a moreish experience.

Notes: Perkuno's is one of the rare. It's a beer that simply takes you to another place and provides one of the best beer drinking experiences available. I imagine that this is the drink of choice amongst the beer gods, and I hail them with great joy for sharing this insanely sublime nectar with me.

Todd, Sep 04, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Had this one at Anam Cara as the Red Sox won game 6 vs. the Yankees. Paired it with a bowl of veggie chili. Delicious.
Poured a deep oily black with an inch of chocolate milk looking head, that was pretty tight, but drops rather quickly. Scent is smoky, roasted malts with alcoholic notes. Taste is clean and heavy, hops are in perfect balance, big roasted malt taste, coffee hints. Alcohol is plenty warming, Beautiful. The mouth is full, smooth, round and chewy. Drinkability, oh, hell yeah. This might be my new favorite porter brewed on these shores. Really, a beautiful thing.

mydeadguy, Oct 18, 2003
Perkuno's Hammer Imperial Porter from Heavyweight Brewing Co.