2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pegalina - Heavyweight Brewing Co.

Pegalina
No picture uploaded.

Heavyweight Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: Billolick on 04-03-2004)
View: Beers (0) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 9 | Reviews: 9
Reviews by DrunkenPanther:
DrunkenPanther

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

This cask brew poured a hazy straw color with fiew tiny bubble and the typical cask creamy head. The aroma was a nice floral hop. Not overdone.
The taste was that of a lighter beer than the 7% ABV would lead you on. Starts witha slight bitter and finishes a bit caramel/nutty (Very slight). I liked this effect as it is not the typica "pow" overhopped taste of hops hops and more hops. Other flavors definitely come out in this brew.
Definitely drinkable. I actually didnt realize it was 7% till I saw it here.
One odd thing though. I had this at the Sharp Edge in Pittsburgh. I thought this was a 1 time/1 place brew and I see that Kelly's (About 2-3 blocks away) was serving it as well. Thats disappointing. I was looking forward to hitting the local "good beer" bars that carry Heavyweight and trying different 1 time/1 place brews. Was I mistaken?

04-22-2004 16:34:07 | More by DrunkenPanther
ski271

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

From some notes I recently found. I’m slowly putting in the more descriptive reviews. I especially felt compelled to share my opinion on this one, being that the brewery closed its doors this month. A real shame.
Medium gold with a small white head. Smell is of fruit and yeast over a mild but nice malt base. Taste follows suit. Good lightly sweet bready malts most notable. Hops presence is weak for an APA, and don’t really fully show up until the bitter finish. Fuggles and rye? A weird one but the best Heavywieght beer I had tried (at the time, I hadn’t tried the Hammer yet at the time of this review). Would definitely have again.

06-15-2006 19:59:08 | More by ski271
francisweizen

Arizona

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

A damn good pale ale from Heavyweight brewing. The colour was slightly hazy peach with a nice, thick head of off-white foam. Aromas of fruity hops, nice bready malts, and other fruity pale ale hints. Taste follows suit. This is a very fruity brew with a nice maltiness and a pronounced citric hoppiness as well. Mouthfeel is creamy, and almost cask-like and drinkability is very good. Another good beer I had on tap at Mahars, Albany.

01-18-2005 00:58:29 | More by francisweizen
PopeJonPaul

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Couldn't smell much here, but then again my nose is about as sensitive as Ted Dibiasi after a steroid injection.

This beer had a good thick head, a clear amber\gold color. Potent hoppiness, mild malt flavor on the top, fairly chewy body and a bit of yeasty mouthfeel but a clean, refreshing finish. Well carbonated yet still kind of creamy, especially for a pale. Seriously drinkable. I think I had it on cask at the Brazen Head once but I have vague memories of that night....

09-17-2004 02:01:35 | More by PopeJonPaul
newyawker

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Gold in color with a big white head. Lace is all around the glass as I consume this brew. Had it at David Copperfield's on tap. My first Heavyweight, and I am now a big, big fan. A little earthy, nice unusual yeasty flavor with some roasted oats flavor. Smell wasn't strong, but kind of lemony. Easy to drink, and a little strong. I recommend it.

09-02-2004 00:51:04 | More by newyawker
MuddyFeet

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Kind of odd was my initial impression, but it improved as I drank it. I stopped noticing the few things I did not like about this beer. It poured a pale amber in color with a thin head (if any at all). The first thing I noticed when I tasted was that it was almost flat, and felt like it tingled on the tongue. I asked the bartended about this and she said she thought it was funny too but the guy who hooked it up said it was supposed to be like that. The beer is at first sweet, but then a slight bitterness arises in the finish. Also, I know the hops are there, but they do not really seem to want to stand out on their own.

06-05-2004 13:22:28 | More by MuddyFeet
beergeek279

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Served in a pint (on CO2 from a firkin) at Kelly's. The color is golden, with a slight white head. The smell is fairly malty, with a bit of citrus hops. The taste was a decent citrusy hoppiness, with a strong golden malt backing. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, which is to be expected for a cask on CO2. As for drinkability, this is definitely one I could have several of.

I'm just sorry that the cask on CO2 killed the review a bit, since it left the beer flat and lacking head, but in its natural state, which I hope to get my hands on, I know this would be a 4.5. Heavyweight has been one of my favorite breweries, and the OneTimeOnePlace releases have only improved their standing with me. The only bad thing about these beers is in fact they won't come out again (we can always beg though!!)

5/1/04: I finally had the chance to have this beer as a cask at the Sharp Edge Emporium, as it deserved, and all I can say is that it truly did improve. The mouthfeel was nice and creamy and the beer had the thick and bubbly head that it should have, and I have to bump it up to the score that it truly deserves.

04-12-2004 16:50:06 | More by beergeek279
WVbeergeek

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Weird situation, this beer was being served at Kelly's on tap even though the keg was cask conditioned. Pours a hazy golden amber thin bubly white head leaves speckled lacing down my pint. Aroma contains some really nice hop characteristics with some sugary honey tinged malts seems reserved for a pale ale only has about 50 IBUs but this is extremely hoppy compared to most Heavyweight beers. Taste contains a mild bitterness from the hops sweet toasted malts with a slight nut finish, very nice drinking beer enjoyed this one alot. Mouthfeel, well it's medium bodied low carbonation I'm sure this would be great on cask. Drinkability: Not bad at all I really enjoyed this OneTimeOnePlace release very very drinkable, I had a couple pints.

Update

Got to sample this beauty on cask finally simply amazing stuff great brew.

04-06-2004 16:32:04 | More by WVbeergeek
Billolick

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

on cask at the BRAZEN HEAD in Brooklyn NY. Creamy, hoppy, luscious nectar of love. Lovingly served by Alex Hall and crew at the cask fest. This one is awesome. Mouthfeel was amazing, tiny bubble head, low carbonation. Hops carry the load, leading a very smooth and tasty finish. Very fine stuff indeed.

04-03-2004 10:32:40 | More by Billolick
Pegalina from Heavyweight Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.