Old Salty Barleywine 2004 - Heavyweight Brewing Co.

Old Salty Barleywine 2004Old Salty Barleywine 2004

Heavyweight Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

English Barleywine |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-30-2004)
View: Beers (0) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
WesWes

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

The beer pours a nice ruby red color with a huge offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a very rich malty scent that boasts of pale and loads of crystal malts. It also has a not so great hop aroma that is grapefruit-like. The taste is average. It has a very bland malt flavor that is complex, but not very tastey. The hop flavor is subpar also. The mouthfeel is average. It is a full bodied beer with more than adequate carbonation. This is probably the worst barleywine I've ever had. The hop characteristics are terrible. I also has a bad malt bill. It time for the drain pour.

04-03-2005 00:45:45 | More by WesWes
ygtbsm94

01-10-2012 08:22:23 | More by ygtbsm94
TackleDummy

3.13/5  rDev -19.5%

I'm drinking this very young in January of 2005. The pour was a dark iced tea color. This is my second bottle. The first left a head so large I could not fit the entire 12 ounce bottle in a 16 ounce glass. I was more careful and poured slowly this time, and the head was very small and of a beige color. As advertised, the beer is very malty. There is a bit of sweetness in the taste, but the bitterness is hard hitting and long lasting. The alcohol is also very pronounced.

Right now the beer is a bit harsh. It should mellow with age, so get yourself a few and stash them away to break open on a rainy day a few months from now.

01-24-2005 00:59:11 | More by TackleDummy
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.15/5  rDev -19%

Poured a murky brown color. Decent carbonation level and a nice head that leaves some good lacing. Malty aroma,slightly sweet. Somewhat phenolic and yeasty. Phenolic up front. Almsot Belgian like. Not sure what yeast they use but its a very dominant flavor. Some sweetness in the finish. Big full body Only an average beer overall. Might mellow out and mature some with age. I wonder how much sugar is added. Reading the label there are a lot of other fermentables in there with the malt. Theres a lot of other barleywines Id grab first.

12-21-2004 01:30:38 | More by lackenhauser
BeerResearcher

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Short 12oz brown bottle. No freshness date (not that it needs one)
It pours a dark rusty, murky brown color with a small, fast-fading beige head.
It smells like a Barley Wine. A smell of prunes and light citrusy nose. with a hint of port or sherry.
The heavy, nearly syrupy malt body has flavors ranging from figs to honey, from canned fruit cocktail to sherry. A light citrusy bitterness lingers throughout.
There's an odd off flavor of salty cheese that I just can't quite pinpoint. A very noticeable alcohol fuminess seems to increase in potency with each gulp.
Odd beer!

08-25-2005 02:41:48 | More by BeerResearcher
Sixpoint

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

Had this one on-tap at Spuyten Duvyil.

The beer poured a turbid brown color; very murky and mysterious.

The aroma was unique; absolutely no trace of hops in this one. Molasses, raisins, toffee. Brown sugar and maybe a bit of maple syrup? A very malt-infused MASSIVE blast to the nose.

The aroma was definitely a prelude of what was to come. No bitterness evident.... malt, malt, malt! MALT! The only bitterness derived was a twinge of alcohol, and perhaps a slight contribution from dark or roasted malts. Otherwise, it was all malt, baby.

The beer was full-bodied and slightly carbonated, and left a lingering cloying sweetness in the aftertaste.

Overall, not my type of barleywine. I just had a bigfoot the other day, and even thought it might seem cliche, you gotta love the hoppy barleywines. Go American!

07-27-2005 02:09:03 | More by Sixpoint
Maestro

3.35/5  rDev -13.9%

This beer is brown with an orange hue. The head is tan, foamy and leaves a great lacing on the glass. Lots of fizz in this barleywine. The nose has a strong alcohol character similar to whisky, with little to no hop aroma. Taste is quite alcoholic as well. The malts are very complex, but it seems that this baby needs to age a bit more. I also would like to know the abv. Not much to say about this one.

04-22-2005 23:39:04 | More by Maestro
guinness33

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Saw this one in the store the other day and realized that I hadn't sampled the '04 batch yet. How it slipped by me for so long is beyond me but it did. Old Salty '04 pours a murky iced tea amber-brown colour. The head is basically non-existent here. Appearance is above average at best.

The smell is much better: alcohol hits immediately and mixes with wet wood, a touch of bubblegum, some juicy berry notes and other sweetness as well.

The flavour, while nice and full, is not as well balanced as the smell. Sweetness and fruit/bubblegum flavours are minimal to nonexistent. What donimates here is an earthy burnt malt flavour mixed with a heavier dose of alcohol than expected. The finish is very dry and tart. Mouthfeel is sharp and packs a bite but remains smooth at the same time. It just seemed to be a bit too much all over the map for me. Still good, but could have been better. It's probably my least favourite of the Old Salty series thusfar.

04-28-2005 02:06:48 | More by guinness33
SaunaKing

3.4/5  rDev -12.6%

This bottle may have been frozen in transit when it was shipped to me. When it arrived it appeared tightly capped but there was a drop coming from under the cap and bubbles in the airspace. The bottle was as full as when bottled.

I cracked it open and it poured a rich dark copper like a very dark tea. A nice thick head from an agressive pour that was creamy and left nice lacing. The head retention was pretty good - more than I expected from my 1st barleywine - i had read that the head on a barleywine isn't much.
The aroma was powerful and smelled of overripe berries.
My first impression on taste was that this was the complex flavours that were new to me and the strength of the brew. It basically overpowered my pallet. There was a hint of black currants. Very flavorful but I can't see myself drinking more than one of these. Not really my cup of tea. I would like to experience some more of these to develop a taste for them because they really do have lots of flavour. Really like no other beer I ever had, going to take some getting used to. The taste upfront was ok but the finish really got me - there was a warmth in the finish as well as a noticeable alcohol burn.

A good introduction to the barleywine to me. Looking forward to trying the other two in my fridge.

01-30-2005 02:49:45 | More by SaunaKing
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

8/22/2004 Bottle date, Sampled January 2005
Pours a hazy rich amber hue with perhaps some orange highlights. The head is a frothy creamy, light amber brown color. The aroma is sticky with Lupulin laden hop aromatics. I get notes of bergamot, rum, chewy caramelized malt, rum, and even some bready, toast type notes as well. This beer is definitely sweet and also a bit fizzy as it hits my tongue. The palate is quite a bit thinner than I was expecting. In fact it is a bit too thin, which causes this beer to be a bit more harsh than I was hoping. The alcohol is also quite evident, and the finish is a bit hot. The hops are quite evident, with notes of citrus, tangerine, a hint of pine, and a bit of lacquer. As the beer warms up and oxidizes a bit in my glass it starts to pick up malty notes of salty biscuits, lightly tasted dark breads, and caramel.

This beer is a bit young, and I am a bit sad that I opened this beer at this date, I really should have held on to this for a couple of years before cracking this open, and I recommend that you do that.

01-14-2005 15:56:20 | More by Gueuzedude
oxmasterscream

3.58/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: Looks like a glass of murky, unfiltered iced tea. Head is a simple, nearly non-existent ring.

Smell: Just out of the fridge, big brown sugar smells combined with sour fruits, some spice and big-time phenols.

Taste: A flash of brown sugar, some sour fruits and a harsh alcohol burn followed by a well-rounded bitterness. A lingering sweetness competes with a long-lasting bitterness. Hints of vanilla toward the end of the glass. Seems to taste a hell of a lot like Baltus OVS. A little harsh fresh... perhaps some time will do this one well.

Mouth: Barely carbonated. Thick and malty full.

Drinkability: Just ok fresh. I won't be racing back to my 4 pack for more just yet. Maybe in a year, my opinions will change. There are other barleywines I'd much rather be drinking fresh right now.

12-18-2004 21:50:23 | More by oxmasterscream
Sammy

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Promise of a good brew with barley, roastiness, chocolate malts. Very nice dark appearance. But the second Heavyweight I have had, and I am underwhelmed by the sourness, and in this case heavy saltiness.. Ok in aftertaste. Needs more malty taste to cover up. Or some other good taste. Thanks Lubiere for sending.

10-16-2005 16:24:54 | More by Sammy
Erix

Vermont

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

Pint glass from bottle
Appearance: Hm.. I wish I didnt have to do it, but when I opened my bottle, the head slowly started growing out, like a mutant brain or alien slime in a 50s horror film. Took quite a while to pour the whole thing, as it left behind a nice, if massive, off white rocky head. Probably the nicest (if also excessive) feature in the appearance, as the body was a murky, almost opaque brown, not too unlike the bottom of a jug of cider. Oh well.
Smell: Malt. Doesnt smell spoiled, so I think that this beer was just plain overcarbonated. I get plum, and a kinda musty sourness. I get a little alcohol too, but it mixes into an interesting dark fruit odor. Hmm...
Taste: Malt here! Much better than I was expecting from the smell! The maltiness follows through in a good way, and there is actually a little bit of hop character there to try to tame the malt. As if that would be possible. A maltster's answer to the IIPA. That plum is still there, but now mixed with some rasin, and a slightly more than healthy dose of alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Warm. I guess thats what Coors Light mean.. this beer feels very warm and flavorful, so I guess their beer is the opposite. Anyways, the alcohol contributes some burn here, which I think the sweetness of the malt only heightens. You can really feel the thickness of the sugars dissolved in each bottle!
Drinkability: For how much malt and alcohol (I'm assuming) this beer has, it is relatively easy drinking. I'm just sipping it for sure, but it does seem to make you thirsty for more as you sip. Of course I don't want more than one right now, but what do you expect from a barley wine.
This beer really needs to age. I'd love to try this vintage in a year or two, but malt on a Maltese falcon! This stuff if still going to be pretty absurd.

01-30-2005 03:47:17 | More by Erix
bditty187

Nebraska

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Hazy, orangey, brown in hue with a hint of copper. The head was beige in color; at its highest point the foam was only one finger. Head retention was fair; it faded quickly to a thin, soapy collar, largely naked in the middle. This little collar did last forever. The subsequent lacing was unimpressive; I could count… yep, three little globs. That is hardly noteworthy. Decent appearance. The nose lacks potency. I love Barleywines with a loud speaking voice. Oh well. On top of that, I can’t say this beer is very articulate either. I get lots of hints but no full on sentences. There are some suggestions of plums, dates, and caramel candy, sour wood with a smattering of spicy alcohol. Without question this beer is an English Barleywine because the malt smell deep and the hops don’t speak up. For the style the bouquet is lackluster, kind of thin with a kiss of metal at the end. So-so. The palate has the potency that the nose was lacking. With that said this beer is a bit heavy-handed and not in that charming kind of way. There are plenty of yummy qualities; I really like the deep, dark fruity taste with kisses of melons, raisins, dates, figs, and apples. In the middle, a smack of sweetness broadsides me. Whoa! I need a breather. Sip. Sip. Sip. I realize this is English and all but how about a little more hops for balance. A blast of bitterness after that sweetness would really kick ass. Caramel is good but caramel followed by some Fuggles hops is better! At the finish the sweetness continues and some butterscotch is now in the mix. This is a lazy beer; it really needs some hoppiness both in flavor and in bitterness. It would be good with cheese I would think, something soft and creamy (and equally lazy). However the carbonation is a bit low and I would also think the fat could not be removed and this would deaden the beer. Maybe all is not lost as all there is a sweetness and fruit. My review might sound “negative” but this is a solid Barleywine. Medium-full in body, the carbonation is low and sluggish which produces a mouthfeel that is laboring. Hot aftertaste. I can feel the alcohol on my brain and in my belly, which is okay with me. This beer is drinkable but I am very picky with Barleywines. I’d like more bite, more pizzazz, and less sweetness. What I am about to say might be sacrilegious… I cut the last 3-ounces with about 1-ounce of SA Triple Bock. Damn that combination was tasty! I made SA Triple Bock Light. HA! Whatever… It was yummy. I started craving havarti cheese. Excellent. Thanks shippos, I enjoyed this beer), I’m glad you including this dandy in the Secret Bunny Exchange!

04-19-2005 00:57:17 | More by bditty187
beerluvr

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours with a modest yet fine bubbled creamy off white head settling over hazy amber/red liquid. Dark fruity nose with alcoholic fumes in back of them, fruity yeast esters in here too. Taste is...well let's just say there's some alcohol in this young bad boy ok? Hot, young and brash in it's potentcy, but not a bad thing. Also a good dose of candyish sweetness, caramel, cookie-like doughiness, fruit, and very sufficient hoppiness combine for an over the top flavor profile. As mentioned in earlier reviews, this will age like a dream! Finishes long bitter and powerful...just give it some time to mellow out.

I'm sure that as it ages,the somewhat lower marks for smell, mouthfeel & drinkability I initially gave it will rise...it's just too "new".

11-06-2004 01:58:41 | More by beerluvr
mrasskicktastic

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

A - A cloudy sienna brew with only a minute head and no lacing.

S - Smells like pomegranate and grape juice left out overnight. I have always liked that smell personally, but I am sure a lot do not. There are a bit of the smell from assorted sugary fruit hard candies as well. Like a big jar of lollipops. Slight alcohol as well, but it is low of the aroma ladder.

T - A nice bit of the grape and pomegranate flavor as well, there is a caramel malt backing and a touch of alcohol. I would guess this at about 12%, but it is well masked and tastes like a 7 percenter. There is a sweet and tart aftertaste, like that of grape juice. After a long while a light bitterness kicks in.

M - Fairly high carbonation, but the brew is thick enough that it isn't a major drawback, yet still a bit thinner than most Barleywines. It strikes me as being fairly dry, yet it is doesn't leave me parched. It actually is pretty refreshing. Probably the sweetness making me salivate more than anything.

D - Pretty good. It isn't the flavor bomb that is many barley wines, yet it does have a lot of interesting aspects. It is and all around nice brew. Easier to drink than some barleywines, but nothing too impressive.

03-24-2006 18:40:08 | More by mrasskicktastic
sacfly

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours an almost opaque dark brown color. What little head it starts with is gone before you can blink. Smell is lightly of sweet cherries and alcohol. First taste is syrupy sweet with over ripe fruit… plums…dates… Strange aftertaste. Somewhat salty as the name implies… Not sure if it is just subliminal… Alcohol again makes an appearance in the aftertaste. Definitely an English style barleywine. Don’t expect any hint of American. A good product from an OK brewery.

12-30-2005 17:48:34 | More by sacfly
gbarron

Georgia

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

From a 12 oz. bottle, 2004 edition.

A - deep, dark caramel, mahogany. Head is massive as the beer is grossly overcarbonated. Rocky, off-white, large bubbles. Lacing is extensive and head retention excellent, despite the beer's alcohol content.

S - rich, malty, sweet aromas fill my nose. Hints of plums, raisins, over-ripe dark fruits. Candy sugar. Very little hop aroma and strong notes of higher alcohols. Smells like an English-style barleywine.

T - initially very sweet and syrupy, malty. Followed by a decent amount of bitterness but little hop flavor. Reminiscient of a fine port, sherry, or fortified wine. Slightly tangy, lots of rich, deep dark malt and fruit flavors. Old, bruised pears, fermented raisins. Balance is respectable in this beer, but tilts decidedly towards malt with an almost total absence of hops save for the IBU's. Tasty.

M - a thick bodied brew, slightly syrupy but not over the top, leaves some sweet stickiness in your mouth. However, I have to take a significant deduction because every bottle from this four-pack has been very overcarbonated, almost over flowing from the bottle after opening. If you pour it into a glass and let it sit a 10 minutes or so, it dies down. But it is a serious distraction. Noticeable alcohol warming.

D - I love English barleywines and this one is top notch flavor/aroma-wise. Have to take off points, though, due to the carbonation problems mentioned above. Try it while you can still find some.

07-11-2006 14:31:05 | More by gbarron
crookedhalo

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a hazed tawny copper color with a volcanic beige head. I poured about 4 oz. into a 12 oz. snifter and it took up the whole space. As the head subsides, a quick swirl brings back a good inch of head. My understanding it that the bottles are hit or miss in the carbonation department. Rich and extremely malty with an equally extreme hop character (Challenger). Sticky and sweet, with a decent bitterness and a long alcohol-laden finish. You know you're getting tipsy off of this one. The higher carbonation level seems to enhance the alcohol punch. Certainly a sipper and works great as a nightcap or a warmer on a cold winter night. The bottle's not bad, it was much better and smoother on-cask.

02-17-2005 08:17:41 | More by crookedhalo
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Bottle: Poured a deep mahogany color barleywine with a medium off-white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of plums and prunes with some sweet caramel malt. Taste is quite sweet but not disgustingly so with some nice touch of plums and prunes. Hops are clearly present bit not overpowering on the sweet caramel malt. Body is above average but could be a bit more full. Alcohol is well hidden. Overall a very good barleywine but missing some character to make this a truly great beer.

07-06-2006 17:20:58 | More by Phyl21ca
warriorsoul

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to Cornboy for this one....
Pours a deep, dark amber w/ an unbelievably amount of head...I believe it is actually increasing as time goes by...sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies in my snifter. Lacing is a carbonated mess on the side of the glass.
Spiced hop aroma hits the nose first, followed by vanilla and just a touch of alcohol. At warming, it hits like a root beer float....yummy.
The flavor is nice...a unique take on the style. A very malty barleywine...taking the front seat w/ the hops hanging out in the back. Again, very slight alcohol detected...gives me a "warming" sensation almost immediately.
Carbonation is perfect and the mouthfeel is splendid...although no one flavor is jumping out at me, it is well balanced and fairly drinkable.
I would recommend and will try this one again.

04-03-2005 01:56:34 | More by warriorsoul
Foxman

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

It pours a deep orangy amber, clear and lightly carbonated. A beige head jumps up quickly to a few fingers, maybe more, and lingers long. Lacing textures the glass.

Surprisingly, and disappointingly, the aroma is a sparse blend of malt sweetness and slight hops bitterness. Alcohol actually comes though more clearly than anything.

The first element is the sweet malt, fair and true, with a certifiable nutty-toffee character, rounding slowly to a currant and crusty yeast center. The hops spice the content, delivering a rather gentle citrus hue to the palate. But, while the specific hops notes are a bit vague, the overal hops presence is meaty. Underneath it all is the knowing bite of the alcohol, perhaps snatching away some of the details from the hops. The finish lingers for a bit withthe hops winning out in the end.

Between medium and heavy bodied, the thick malt is almost syrupy, but the hops help slicken the flow. The hops glow on the tongue for some time after a sip.

I'm thinking the cellar would be a good place for this one, for 6-12 months. It might blend things to the point where the hops aren't fighting the alcohol for face time. I enjoyed it, as I do most barleywines, but that thin aroma just didn't do anything to announce what was coming, and the flavor was a little halting in nature. The ABV limits intake as expected, but I'll re-visit this one come November or so, to see if maybe the flavor will make me consider the alcohol a bit less in deciding on another.

04-21-2005 16:32:02 | More by Foxman
goodbyeohio

Oregon

3.93/5  rDev +1%

bought a 4pk of this beer for a friend at work who is referred to as 'old salty,' kept one for myself.

cloudy reddish-orange.. somewhat murky and lacking any head other than the expected bubble ring from a barleywine. aroma is super-malty as promised.. with some real off-notes. something fishy, maybe sweaty? hints of bacterial tartness, like a lambic? all this behind burnt-sugar molasses type maltiness? wtf? i am dreading the first sip.

raisiny malt in the first sip and a hint of something soapy.. light overall with a slight alcohol burn that really doesn't interfere. further, less cautious sips kick that alcohol up, approaching lighter fluid status. i knew i should have held this bottle for a couple years (joe at spuyten duyvil informed me of the 01 and 02 current popularity) but i didn't listen. buyer beware.. if you don't have a cellar.. dogfish this one up (bury it outside in the yard).

very sweet and reaching sherry-like vinousness at an early age. this will be a funky ass yet smooth brew when it's about 4 or 5, and i would love to revisit it then. for now, not bad.. but this has potential.

like licking a cake batter-covered spoon.

08-17-2005 15:47:35 | More by goodbyeohio
AlexJ

3.93/5  rDev +1%

Another interesting offer from an adventurous brewer. Old Salty reveals itself a dark chestnut brown with a brick red cast and is rather hazy. A surprizingly large, frothy head of large, streaming bubbles stays throughout the beer. Upon tasting I will realize this is from over-carbonation.

A generous nose displays assorted fruits, chewy caramel, toffee, molasses, rum soaked fruitcake, a hint of dry oak, light ly fruity hops, and a warming nudge of alcohol.

Flavor follows closely, with lots of dark caramel and lightly scorched toffee, rum-soaked strawberries and dark cherries, oak, dusty leather, a hint of campfire smoke, vanilla, and fruity and floral hops in the finish. Licking my lips, I discover why it's called Old Salty. A briney taste that reminds me of a fresh sea breeze. Interesting.

Body is a chewy medium. Mouthfeel suffers due to the ridiculous carbonation. After many swirls of the glass, it finally settles down. Drinkability is decent regardless.

Thanks to BrewMoose for a chance to try this rare brew.

08-13-2005 14:53:11 | More by AlexJ
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

This is another beer from Malto. The head on this was huge to the point where it over ran the glass which is a first for a barley wine. The beer is quite nice to look at once the head subsided, as it seemed to glow in the light. The nose is malt and some alcohol. The taste is refined and semi sweet with the malt coming to the fore on the finish. It tasted very English in its presentation and quite drinkable at one year old. A good BW that needs little cellaring to improve.

11-07-2005 06:47:51 | More by canucklehead
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Old Salty Barleywine 2004 from Heavyweight Brewing Co.