Cinderbock - Heavyweight Brewing Co.

CinderbockCinderbock

Heavyweight Brewing Co. visit their website
New Jersey, United States

Doppelbock |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-02-2001)
View: Beers (0) |  Events
Reviews by rotsaruch:
rotsaruch

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%

This year's bottled batch has an unusual degree of carbination upon opening the bottle. I have had a half a case by now, and have consistently experienced this roaring, massive head that appears when pouring this beer. It's pretty, but annoying after a while

The appearance is a hazy, honey color with almond colored head. The head does slowly fade with some noticeable lacing. From the overcarbination pour, you immediately notice the presence of smoked bacon aroma. It kinda dominates the olfactory sensory profile. However, the palate was pleasantly surprised by the sweet caramel malt taste along with the ever-present smoked malts, which provided the balance and drinkability. There was a noticeable spicey hop finish. A very interesting, but always an enjoyable brew.

06-09-2004 13:15:31 | More by rotsaruch

BigMike

11-16-2011 19:44:02 | More by BigMike
brentk56

3.7/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: Pours a very hazy copper color with a prodigious head that left thick bands of lacing around the glass

Smell: Lightly smoked malt aromas waft upwards, with a vague smoked salmon essence that also reminds me of charred embers

Taste: Starts out with a mouthfull of smokey, but slightly sweet malt; after the swallow, a depth of additional malty flavor appears that is also slightly astringent

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: At first, I didn't focus on the "Cinderbock" reference and wondered what it was that I was tasting; with some thought, I find this an intriguing beer for a change of pace; to call it a Doppelbock does it a disservice; it really belongs in the smoked beer category where it stands alone

08-11-2006 23:25:17 | More by brentk56
rayjay

Hawaii

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Scored at the Foodery and driven 3000 miles to me by a very good friend indeed!!!!

Poured into a tall Paulaner glass, very slowly, and the head completely took over the glass (a la Chimay White). Therefore I had to pour this is 2 phases. Lots of yeast so beware. No lacing.

The smell is VERY smoky, the smokiest I've had to date by a long shot. Big salty ham smell, along with a very strong, telltale east coast lager smell. Leather, horse, smoked jerky (the sweet kind).

Mouthfeel was completely flat, like a stale cask in it's waning, still-drinkable, final moments. Strong bock body for sure. Bitter hops hit 1 second later, then are gone in a flash, leaving the smoke in your nose and the malt on the tip of your tounge. Heavy in your gut, and the alcohol is present there if you look for it.

Edit: this isn't really a dopplebock, it's a dark pale beer that smells and tastes like it got rescued from a burning building.

Very unique brew, I'd drink it again, if I can ever get ahold of one again. (the brewery is shutting down as I write this). Fun to try, but way too heavy for me. Lots of malt=I'm full and drunk and dehyrdated.

08-07-2006 21:23:52 | More by rayjay
HimerMan

3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

12oz bottle poured into my trusty Delirium tremens glass.

Nice apple cider brown pour with a moderate off-white/tan head that went away rather quickly.

Tastes like a brown ale mixed with a dopplebock, very nice opening with sweet and tart flavor that ends with a sourness. As the beer warms, more of the sourness comes through - a bit like rind of an orange thats been soaked in alcohol.

Much better at colder temperatures - however, worth the try if you can find these anymore.

Give this a shot if you are into dopplebocks, it is mild given its alcohol content, and best at colder (not too cold) temperatures.

Cheers.

08-04-2006 01:02:19 | More by HimerMan
cbl2

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

$7.99 4 pack 7.00% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a hazy orange-brown with a quarter inch of foamy white head.

Aroma:

Mild smoked peat/processed meat with sweet malt notes. No detectable hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Nicely sweet coupled with a smoked meat flavor reminiscent of a smoked beer. Some ham characteristics, which are surprisingly good. Nicely balanced brew and quite enjoyable.

07-29-2006 17:04:15 | More by cbl2
nlmartin

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

This beer was purchased at the Foodery in Philly. The beer is served in a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a amber ginger ale kind of coloration. The head was shortly lived white coloration. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Some one smoked the hell out of this beer. The beer smells heavily of mesquite grilled smokyness. The beer has a very pleasant maltyness combined with smoke.

Taste: The taste is a spicy sweet and sour smokey treat. The beer has a hell of a lot of smokyness in the flavor. Frankly the smoke in this beer is more than I remember in Rauchbiers and other smoked beers I have had. The smokyness is really welcome. The beer has a very good malty sweetness. The grains combine well and create a toasty sort of flavor. The beer has some woodyness about it.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is medium bodied. None of the flavors or smells are out of sorts. This is a dam tasty beer treat. I wish I had a case of this. The beer is not one to guzzle or to session. It is simply a nice beer treat.

06-16-2006 14:05:21 | More by nlmartin
bennetj17

Arizona

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

This beer looks dead, like tomato juice but more of a brown/mahogany color instead, no head. The aroma is fairly strong, smoky, meaty, with a malt sweetness dominating. The taste is awful at first, but I don't give up on it. Very strong and tangy, the malt tastes nutty and has a mild smoke flavor. The overriding tanginess destroys the other flavors trying to come through, but give it some time and it begins to want to balance itself out a bit with some brown sugary sweetness. Mouthfeel is slightly thin, and there is just enough carbonation to get by. This beer is hanging on by a thread, I am able to finish this bottle, but I think I'll have something else next...

06-12-2006 03:15:23 | More by bennetj17
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

I didn't read the label when I bought this and I can tell from the very beginning that I am in for a surprise with this beer.

A - Pours a murky yellowish brown with a thin off white head.

S - Heavy smoke, almost like smoked bacon or ham, slight hint of malt sweetness.

T - A smokiness that intensifies as it warms. Smoked bacon and ham. Not as smoky as a rauchbier but the smokiness definitely dominates this one.

M - Medium body that feels heavier than it is due to the lack of carbonation. Paired with the smoky taste it makes me feel like I am drinking the drippings from smoked meat.

D - Having not read the label this is definitely not what I was expecting from a Bock. I don't like smoked beers and don;t think I could drink another of these.

05-25-2006 01:45:37 | More by brewcrew76
jaluria

Connecticut

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

A poor beer from a great, great brewery. I was excited to try this when I saw it on-tap, but was more than disappointed.

Appeared a cloudy, orange-gold color with a thin white colored head that left behind minimal lacing; not at all what I expected. Looked more like a fruity mixed drink than beer. Aromas of damp towels, alcohol, and rotten candy seemed to come out; not appealing at all. The taste was somewhat malty, as might be expected, but also present was a pronounced astringent taste that was not pleasant or enjoyable. Fruit flavors came out as well, but they seemed out-of-place in that they did not work with the other flavors. The texture was oily and sticky and as a result was not flavorful enough or smooth enough to enjoy again and again.

04-11-2006 14:08:59 | More by jaluria
Jacobob10

1.95/5  rDev -48.5%

I will try my hardest not to bash this beer. Not because it is from NJ - like me - but because if you paired it up with some smoked meats it might not be that bad. But I will review this beer as I drank it, all by its lonesome without any form of smoked animal to match its flavor.

Appearance is not bad at all. Clear orange color with a light tan head. Decent retention, no lacing at all. The smell lets you know right away that the smoked malts are coming to party, and you better let them in or they're gonna kick your ass. Well, I'm not quite ready to let them in and I got my ass kicked pretty bad. I don't like the taste at all. Not even bearable in my opinion. It's just gross. Almost deserving of a drain pour. I decided to saddle up and stomach this beer all the way to the end. I did not enjoy it and will not buy it again. It REALLY smells and tastes like smoked meat. Don't get me wrong, I love smoked meat, just not in my beer.

04-05-2006 23:03:45 | More by Jacobob10
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Smoked beers make me happy. I don't drink them that often, but when I do I'm always fascinated by the flavours. Probably a craft beer newbie thing.

Cinderbock pours a dark, hazy amber with a nice, big bubbly head. I like it when smoked beers *look* smoky -- adds to the experience.

Not much aroma, unfortunately, although as it warms I can definitely pick up smoked meat and some charcoal, along with some mild fruitiness way back there somewhere.

Taste is -- of course -- interesting. Very smokey, like the rauchbiers I've had. Bacon, wood, smoke, and some burnt caramel. Crackery elements, pepper, and mild fruit (sour cherries?). Surprisingly high carbonation, nice smooth mouthfeel. An unusual spicy aftertaste that keeps me sipping.

The only smoked doppelbock I'm aware of, and definitely worth trying. I'll save my other bottle for sometime when I'm in the mood for something different.

03-26-2006 19:36:35 | More by crwills
beveragecaptain

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

12 ounce bottle. Heavyweight Cinderbock pours out a cloudy amber color with a small head. The aroma is slightly sweet and very smoky that makes me think of ham. The flavor is smoky, but in addition to the ham-like smokiness, there is also a charred smokiness that balances the malty sweetness. Although the smoke flavor is strong, lots of malt flavor comes through. Minimal hoppiness. Full mouthfeel. Good drinkability for a beer this smoky. Another fine Heavyweight beer.

03-19-2006 20:23:47 | More by beveragecaptain
NJpadreFan

2.38/5  rDev -37.2%

Heavyweight Cinderbock

Appearance- hazy brown tinted orange with a thin head/ no lacing.
Smell- smoked ham. Small woodchips; cedar, hickory, and cherry.
Taste- like a smoked ham sandwich. Sweet malt and a slight roasted hickory hop flavor.
Mouthfeel- smokey, like accidentally inhaling the campfire. Very sweet throughout.

Overall- No..No..No.. Just can't drink it. Sorry Heavyweight but smoked ham flavored beers are not my forte'. Just too smokey and too sweet. Might go well for those of you eating a big meaty meal, but not enjoyable otherwise.

03-07-2006 21:50:09 | More by NJpadreFan
MaltyGoodness

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz. bottle

Pours a slightly hazy orange-amber with a cream colored head that thins. Nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma of both sweet and smokey malt. Quite a unique and delicious aroma.

Taste is both sweet and smokey upfront. Quite a tasty blend. This is followed by a slightly cloying sweetness that lingers.

Body seems thin.

Quite drinkable, but just one in a sitting. The unique flavor is worth revisiting, but the sweetness keeps it from being sessionable.

02-07-2006 02:50:34 | More by MaltyGoodness
TheLongBeachBum

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Presentation: Stumpy 12 ounce bottle sealed with a simple brass crown cap. Plastic main label seems like it is shrink wrapped onto the front of the bottle. Design looks like the BA avatar. The doe-eyed smoking goat look surprised. Listed at 7%

Appearance: Supreme looks, thick creamy white head suits atop the hazed copper-orange body. Intensely finely dissolved carbonation sprinkles the body when gently tipped. Light lacing is all over the exposed upper portions of the glass. Solid appearance.

Nose: Smoked hickory and a pugilist cinder Ginger toffee root fill the nose. A rich nasal massage when deeply inhaled.

Taste: Brandy snap entrance has a ginger laden smile that shadows hickory smoked malts. Middle has a thick smoky bacon feel with some sweet malts and a yeast fiddle that plays on two strings. Ends with a dry ginger root finish that has some bitterness in and amongst the sweet snappy ginger tubes.

Mouthfeel: Ginger ale presentation, the conditioning is prickly as is the overall feel of the carbonation and flavors. The ginger bread feel pulsates throughout the body of this one.

Drinkability: Rather unique and very interesting, English Ginger Ale meets German Bock beer. It works, and it works well for my money, and it is very drinkable to boot.

Overall: Today is today, like today was yesterday. But I’m a year older. Thanks to the lovely Erica for this Birthday treat. Good stuff!!

02-05-2006 07:49:08 | More by TheLongBeachBum
Franchise

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev +9%

This beer pours maroon and leaves a thin white lace. The nose is spectacular, so smokey just the right amount of smoke and sweetness in the nose. The body is clean, clear, with a small amount of yeast settled in the bottom of the glass. The taste starts on the palate smooth, def malty up front by design smoke infused bock. The taste on the palate then moves to a small lemon tartness on the palate, to a smoke presence that reminds me of eating some smoked meats almost savory funny what the nose can tell the tastebuds, then it finishes sweet with some caramel, toffee, and the smokiness you get from roasted nuts. Very complex and a pleasure to drink.

02-04-2006 18:57:33 | More by Franchise
mentor

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle provided by higravity, via SS'05. Thanks for the opportunity.

To start, who the F goes through the effort of making a doppelbock and then ruins it by including smoked malt? I'll try to review this objectively, but you know up front where I stand in regards to smoked beers.

Pours a two-finger fizzy almond head over a cloudy brown rust liquid. Smells sharp woody smoked grains. A little bit of sour brown tart cherry. Tastes sweet malty, yet tangy from the smoke...like a soured brown ale. Phenol is short and sharp, like the experience of fine and sharp carbonation. The smoke flavor comes across as an edge of funk, if you could slow it down. Dry woody. Md body and moderately carbonated. The beer is dominated by the smoke, so I'm not really fond of it.

01-24-2006 06:24:14 | More by mentor
mattpetti

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

I picked this sucka up on a whim one day and wow was i suprised by this. It has a good appearence with a thin head which disapeared quickly. Smell is smokey as hell, with a hint of spices and a background of some solid fruit. When it first hit my lips I was struck with how smokey it was. As with the smell there was some fruit and a tiny bit of spice. The smoked burnt taste was astringent in the back of my throat as a toothpick would do. It was thick and creamy as well. Nice coating in my mouth. All in all a very well made beer. If u like smoke and some burnt character to your beer, then this is def for you.

01-16-2006 07:40:19 | More by mattpetti
arguemaniac

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a hazy orange amber with a foamy off-white head. The aroma features an appley, smoky character. The flavor is dominated by a robust cedery, peat smoke taste, though there certainly is some fruity malt sweetness and it’s all rounded out with an alcohol bite. The finish, as with everything else, is eclipsed by utter smokiness. Mildly creamy mouthfeel with active carbonation.

Quite possibly the smokiest beer I’ve ever had. Taste-wise, it really reminds me of a rauchbier more than a dopplebock. The smokiness was just a little too much for me, but it wasn’t bad. Recommended.

12-08-2005 05:47:54 | More by arguemaniac
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Smoking a doppelbock, calling it Cinderbock and putting a cigarette-smoking goat on the label is sheer genius. Loving Perkuno's Hammer as I do, I have little doubt that what's inside the bottle will more than measure up to what's outside it. Thanks in advance to IrishRedRock.

Beautiful, rich reddish orange with little visible carbonation and a rather small golden beige cap. The barely perceptible 'pffft' upon crown cracking was disconcerting and I can only hope that enough carbonation remains for this to be a representative Cinderbock experience. Within minutes, the head has dropped to a barely covering film. Needless to say, the glass is lace-free.

Wonderful rauchbier-like aroma that puts me in mind of the Schlenkerla line. Not as bombastic and as sootily pungeant of its German counterparts, but no shrinking violet of smoke either. As is the case with most smoked beers, I have a hard time appreciating the beer beneath. That's not necessarily a negative, but it does lead to a sameness of aroma across the style and doesn't allow one to appreciate what might be a fascinatingly complex beer. I guess that's what tastebuds are for.

No worries, there's plenty of carbonation. For such a light-bodied beer, this one packs loads of flavor into every sip. The smokiness is far from overwhelming and is, in fact, present in near-perfect proportions as far as I'm concerned. The doppelbock nature of the beer comes through easily, even if it doesn't resemble the typical doppel (if there is such a thing, which I doubt).

The one characteristic that hooks me and draws me in more than any other is the delicious contrast between sweet and sour. Each is present in ample quantities and they intertwine in an ever-changing, always fascinating fashion. This is, unquestionably, one instance where the flavor profile total is greater than the sum of its parts. The flavor doesn't so much change in a predictable, describable arc throughout each mouthful as it shifts kaleidoscopically, never presenting the same face to its drinker from beer entry to beer exit or from first sip to last. I knew that Heavyweight wouldn't let me down, I just knew it.

The body is lager medium, but I wouldn't have it any other way. This beer is an original creation, a pastiche of elements that works beautifully. Who am I to request changes when I love the beer that Cinderbock is in the here and now? The initially (amazingly, given the initial pour) spritely carbonation loses a wee bit of steam by the bottom of the bottle, though I'm fine with the first sip, the final sip and everything in between.

As predicted in the first paragraph, Cinderbock more than measures up to its unopened bottle promise and to my rather high expectations. The brewers state that this beer is 'laced with smoke and intrigue'. I'll go along with that. Even though they were too humble to mention it, it's laced with brilliance as well.

12-06-2005 16:05:59 | More by BuckeyeNation
tgbljb

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a hazy peach color with moderate slightly off-white head. The smell is interesting, as an understatement.It makes me feel as if I.m in the backyard burning a stack of hardwoods, and the way your clothes smell after you have been around a campfire. The smokiness is like nothing I've ever experienced in a beer. At first it is a bit suprising, but after a few whiffs it become supremely enjoyable. The first taste is also a bit different, as if I'm tasting strongly smoked meats poured into a glass. After a few tastes, and as the beer warms, the taste become very nice and pleasant in the mouth. A very soothing beer to drink while sitting in front of a roaring fire in front of the fireplace on a Thanksgiving afternoon after eating eating too much turkey and watching a boring football game. I will make sure I have more of these available next year for Thansgiving. At least if the football is bad, the beer will be good.

11-26-2005 01:40:06 | More by tgbljb
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a lightly hazy amber-orange color with a frothy, fairly thin, pale tan head. The aroma has a distinct note of smoked malt plus some sweet caramelized notes. The aroma is quite nice if a bit singular in distinction. The taste is somewhat sweet up front with a body that is a bit full, but still fairly light in the grand scheme of things. The finish initially has a sharp, prominent smoky note, which becomes a bit more tame over time as my palate get used to the smoke. The smoke actually permeates throughout the taste of this beer, though it is not nearly as strong as some. There is a touch of sweet caramel here and some dry toasted malt notes. This beer is eminently drinkable, yet it is not nearly as rich and flavorful as I was hopping, really this is my own problem though. Quite an enjoyable beer, and I would certainly love to try this quite a few more times.

11-20-2005 03:53:05 | More by Gueuzedude
Cinderbock from Heavyweight Brewing Co.